the Rift

this town

Hiedrun Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
It had been days since she had been in the land of ice and snow, where her mother had most likely frozen to death. This was the thought that struck her now. It took root in her mind and repeated endlessly, coupled by the memory of the woman's voice - telling her that this was all such a bad idea. She should have never left. She should have remained there in the ice with her dam, watching her waste away with her sorrow. But Hiedrun could not do that. To just give up and die waiting for the world to happen; this was something her mother had always preached for, but the girl could not follow through. She had to be the force in the world, she had to do the good thing and seek out a new path in her own life. The goodness of her act - of fleeing from the steppe - was marred upon her return. Would her mother still be alive if she had just, never returned? Did the act of going home to her effectively lead to her end? These Schroedinger thoughts plagued her as she moved. Her dark body making good time as it cross through the hills, across the grasslands, all the way south to the threshold; she had never been this far from home. But, then again, where was home?

Hiedrun hoped to remedy her problems with this trip. She moved carefully, but as swiftly as her large self would allow - cantering for a while, until the smooth gait became too much for her weary self to handle. As she neared the entryway to the lands, she caught the scent of others. There were horses, like her, and a variety of other things she had never before recognized; her mother had told stories of them, of course. Of Pegasi and Unicorn, of strange hybrids, but it was all just nonsense to her. They had lived in such a remote are that Hiedrun had rarely seen hide nor hair of another creature - they had been safe, but it had been lonely. Hiedrun let out an irregular snort, her nostrils flaring in that instant. Her clamped tail showing her uncertainty, her fear - while her black hide shone with a sweaty sheen. What was she to do now? Stand around and wait for the Gods to decide her fate? This was something that unsettled her further. Hiedrun was not zealous, she was not spiritual. There was a better chance that she'd take matters in to her own power than leave her fate to anyone else, especially the unseen forces around her. But she knew it was foolish to give up the teachings of her mother in their entirety.

With another snort, Hiedrun rested herself. She stood with her head slightly lowered, and tried her best to relax as she waited for her new life to begin. Her head was full of doubts and misgivings, while her body occasionally quaked with an expectant apprehension.

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
If I’d known any better, I would have stayed in the shade and kept my eyes closed from the world that so often enjoyed my confusion. But of course, I chose to be stubborn and rise with the sun- another trek to the Threshold was in store. I couldn’t say that I had any particular reason for it anymore, other than the mere avoidance of the mundane, but at least it would give me a bit of pleasure when all things seemed so dim. Tamira had been scarce and I’d yet to see Mirage since the birth of her twins and I often wondered if everyone was preparing for the coming winter or was I just becoming dense? Whatever the case, I was more than eager to forget it all along with the passing trees that led me from the Edge and into the plains beyond. After all, the day was growing far too beautiful to be cooped up in my home for another minute.

Large shadows were cast out over the path from the rising of the sun and while the walk was pleasant enough, it was hard not to break into a brisk trot from now and then to stretch my stiffened tendons. That’s not to say that I’d grown lethargic while spending my time in the Edge, but more so impervious to the effects of a sedentary lifestyle. From time to time I spent the day patrolling or perhaps indulging Essetia in her childish games, but never pushing myself to expand from the ordinary. So, the change certainly felt good.

When those final steps led me across the borders and into the claiming grounds, I was more than pleased to find that my incessant searching would not have to be prolonged. No, instead I was quite satisfied in laying eyes on a large black mare with deep brown eyes not unlike my own. She appeared to be friendly enough but I could never underestimate my company because the day I did, I feared that I would find disaster in my wake.

Approaching slowly, I nodded to the girl so that she might see that I meant no harm. However, I did not allow myself to fall short any longer; I was now King of the Edge, so shouldn’t I at least act the part a bit? With shoulders angled inward and my thick neck tucked gracefully to my chest, I motioned for her to come closer. I found that such tact would (in most cases) save me the trouble of fighting the ignorance of those who did not seek my saving. If she desired a life in the wilds, who was I to stop her? But, if that were true then I would also be able to avoid the inevitable onslaught of savagery that coupled with an outcast’s attitude.

I assume you’re here to be found?” My voice was smooth and friendly, if not a bit dark with humor. I didn’t want to succumb to the formalities that often accompanied recruiting, but sometimes it was all I could do to “go through the motions.”

I’m Thor of the World’s Edge and you, my dear, are in Helovia. Is there something you seek here?

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Unregistered
The wait was not long, in fact, it felt as if no wait occurred at all. The day stretched by her like a lazy cat - it's heat brushing against her dark limbs as if she could reach out and caress it herself. It was a thick heat, the kind that emerges in the deep of summer; something she hadn't experienced very often. Hiedrun had decided in her second year, when she had the gall to abandon her mother and the icy wastes of their home, that she did not enjoy the summer months. At least not here, in the southlands. It did not help that her skin was so dark. While many individuals would turn their dislike inwards, it was not Hiedrun's nature to dispise herself - especially when it concerned something so petty and so out of her own control, such as the weather. But the heat here was stifling. She was thankful that the man appeared with such speed, and she found herself thanking the fates for providing her with some semblance of success in this venture. Whether he was the right king for her was another question waiting to be answered; even as he appeared, pulling back just in time to beckon her close, Hiedrun grew wary. Her mother had told her stories of Helovia. Of the various types of men, and their temperaments. She was cautious as she paid heed to the man's summon.

Ears pivoted towards him, intently listening to the rumble of his voice. It was soothing, in a way. Tired, maybe, if she had paid that much attention. How many women had he coerced with that tongue of his? His scent was strong and masculine. She found herself reaching out with her head first, extending to get a better look at him as she grew curiouser and curiouser of the stranger. When Hiedrun finally began to stride over, such curiosity transformed in to uncertainty as he introduced himself. He was a king, indeed. Named in a similar fashion to herself; in a language that their parents probably shared. She stopped walking when there was only a meager distance between the two of them, and in that moment she studied him up-close, silent. He was handsome, but there was something odd about him.

As Hiedrun observed his body, as those molten brown eyes slid across his dusty skin, she noticed a strange growth on his shoulders. At first she saw nothing but hide and hair. Having never seen a horse with wings in her lifetime, Hiedrun was at a loss - cognitively - for identifying the odd shapes. It took a moment for the small limbs to register in her mind as actual wings, and then as the moment stretched on and her silence became overbearing, she felt herself withdraw slightly. It is like seeing anything for the first time - the alienation of it, the otherness of it, made her recoil. It was then that the girl forced herself to look away from the petite figures and watch his face. She pulled her own head in and, without meaning to, gave small glances towards the wings. Hiedrun swallowed her fear as best she could, but it was clear by her subtle change in body language that she was nervous - fearful even, to the extreme.

But her manners won out in the end, and she ended the pregnant pause in order to introduce herself. "I am Hiedrun. I... I apologize," a blink, and a side-step so that she could adjust her weight. Hiedrun tried to adjust her posture so that she seemed more open and welcoming, but it was difficult to get over the fact that this man had wings - real, physical wings. Could he fly? She thought to ask, but then held back on such an invasive (and possibly insulting) line of questioning. "I have come a long way and, well... I have never seen something as magnificent as you before." the woman pursed her lips as she silenced, and then slipped her gaze away from his wings fully in order to observe him. She lowered her head submissively in his presence, as she did not wish to deter him. Hiedrun wanted a home after all, and he was offering one.

As an afterthought, the dark woman became aware of the questions he asked and she had not answered. It was rude to ignore them, but she felt so strange in his presence. "I seek a home. I have heard stories of Helovia from my mother, and as she is passed, I do not wish to live on my own. Such a lifestyle is.. Dangerous, after all." Again, she fell to silence. This time she was expectant - waiting for him to respond, to perhaps promise a place among his ranks. She was eager to hear his voice again, and grew listless. The woman shifted slightly as she stood before him, exhaling a quiet breath that she had not been aware of holding; Hiedrun was not always so skeptical or fearful, but this... This king, he put her out of her comfort zone in such an instantaneous moment that she was unsettled. Deeply unsettled.

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
Her curiosity was bound to win out over the pains and folly of whatever past haunted her, but I knew that it would be a long time coming from the way she looked at me with widened eyes of fear. I wanted to soothe her, calm her with soft words of wisdom… But, as always I remained quiet. She would have to find strength within herself if she wished to maintain my company, after all, I couldn’t force her to trust me if she had her heart set on questioning my every motive. However, that’s not to say that I wanted to turn hide and run. I merely sat and waited for the quiet to die away and for her words to grace the space between us. She had been able to move close enough to look me in the eyes, but it didn’t feel like much of a feat because upon resting her tragic gaze on the malformed wings perched atop my back, she froze.

I’d gotten that stare many times before and though it could be disconcerting at times, I felt that this instance was quite different. It was like the mare had never seen such attributes and though her expression was slightly comical, I made sure to give her the time she needed to adjust. I’d dealt with creatures foreign to Helovia before and they all appeared to be the same… One look at a horn or a feathery wing and they were suddenly immobilized. I couldn’t blame them for their reactions though; how was one supposed to feel about fairytales if that’s all that they’d ever really been? Just… tales. Whatever mystery that accompanied my existence was now out in the open, visible for this mare to see and feel and hear. I was a living, breathing myth to this woman and while it was humorous in and of its own accord, I still felt a little awkward as she stared at me with those incredulous brown eyes.

I didn’t have plans on disappearing into nothingness or suddenly lifting from the ground so that she could admire the full expanse of my creation. I couldn’t even if I’d wanted to. What this girl didn’t know was that I’d been born into these appendages that were too small and frail to ever lift a creature of my size from the ground. On many levels, I was just like her. I was no more mysterious to her than her own foot, aside from the wings that shifted accordingly along my spine. Were they really so daunting?

When she finally found the courage to share her name, I was more than eager to move past the obvious elephant in the room. After all, in most cases I didn’t have to worry about the curious eyes of another in the name of my being Pegusi, but rather that I was not. It was a hurtful thing to experience after so much time spent trying to overcome my differences. Many creatures in Helovia seemed to forget that my wings were deformed only because of my intimidating size, which quite honestly, I didn’t mind.

No need to apologize”, I said with a chuckle. She was certainly new to Helovia because to think that I was a magnificent creature was hardly something in comparison to the many others that existed here. “I fear that I am not the last daunting creation here in Helovia, so I would hope that you are prepared my dear.” I smiled warmly at her, still debating what it would look like to encounter this Hiedrun if she ever met Mirage. The Dragonheart was definitely a mare worth meeting not only because she was the rightful leader of the Edge but also because I couldn’t get over just what my new friend would do after seeing her shed Equine bones for those of a dragon. Now that was a fascinating thing to witness.

However, of course after losing myself to the images of golden scales and long, pearly white teeth, the dark mare’s voice was more than welcoming. As she spoke, I found my gaze seeking hers in a way that I often did upon meeting newcomers not only to the Edge but to Helovia in general. What did she want here that would bring her across the long plains of misery and turmoil to stand upon our front step? She had family wherever she’d come from, so why did she leave if being alone was considered to be dangerous? I knew that such subjects would be a topic of conversation at some point in our journey together because after careful consideration, I added to her story. “A home is what you seek? Then perhaps I could interest you in accompanying me to the Edge? I believe that you’d fit in quiet well there.” A devious smirk followed shortly after as I once again considered the mare’s face upon meeting a draconic Mirage. I couldn’t wait to welcome Hiedrun to my family if she indeed wished it… But from the way she spoke, I had no doubt that she’d be following me home tonight.

Oh, how I enjoyed my twisted sense of humor.

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Unregistered
He took her apprehension in stride, which was noble of him. Hiedrun thought of all the women he must have spoken to in his time here; of all the strangers who may have had a similar response to his alien growths. She felt pathetic in that moment. Depressed, fleetingly. Had her words impacted him, or were they more like the chattering of children? Things that he adapted to hearing over time from ignorant bullies - although she did not see herself as a bully. The fear she exuded was probably an insult in it's own right, and for that she was sorry. But she couldn't say it. As she shifted her massive weight from one leg to another, Hiedrun compulsively lifted one foot and struck the ground with it; forcing her self-directed anger in to the earth where it could rest.

Thor sounded chipper enough. His laugh could have been forced or practiced, but she was not trained in the identification of such a sound. It had been years since she had spent any time with another equine - winged or otherwise - that her behavior was somewhat contrived. She was going through the motions as much as he was. And yet, despite her awkward staring and rude conjecture, the ticking of her mind and the dispersal of dead memories, he seemed at ease with her. Perhaps he held an understanding for the poor woman, as he had probably been privy to many out-of-place equines. His offer blossomed upon his breath, offered without any hesitation - with mirth, she assumed by the look in his eyes. They were locked upon her own, and Hiedrun felt a thrill run down her spine. She had a home, then? And all she'd have to do was accept. Accept and deal with the strangeness of these beasts.

"I am thankful." She said by way of acceptance, with a small bob of her head; it then perched upon her neck and shoulders in a far more relaxed position. "If you would lead the way, of course." A subtle smile drifted across her face at this comment, as her dark figure began to advance towards him. She took only a meager number of steps before pausing to look at him, her head lowering in a show of fearless submission to her new king; she had never had a king before, and wasn't sure how she was going to manage with someone holding power over her, but Hiedrun would learn soon enough. She had subverted her own mother's authority on may occasions in her youth, and even as she reached the prime of her adulthood; perhaps old habits would die hard.