the Rift

[PRIVATE] 18th Floor Balcony [Xanthos, Jasiri]

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

Nightfall was steadily approaching.

In the midst of the threat of this pitiful 'Assassin's' group that they had heard about, and training as a Protector, as well as generally keeping their borders secure and civilians safe, Romani felt as though she had been spending less and less time with her beloved family. Guilt gnawed at her breast, causing dark lips to turn downwards in a frown. Had she and Xanthos not fought tooth and hoof to be together? Had they not challenged other equines and Gods themselves to sanctify their love?

They needed some time together, she and Xanthos, as well as little Jasiri... Romani didn't want their daughter to think that her parents were too busy for her. No, no, that wasn't it at all... A gypsy-soul she may be, Romani was still mortal. She could only do so much, and with the responsibilities as a warrior and a mother, they would often be destined to conflict.

But right now, in this evening light, Romani would make time for her family. Even if it was a time to simply tell both Xanthos and Jasiri that she loved them both, and that was all they did. After all, when had been the last time that they had truly just spent some time alone, as a family unit, and had talked? The palomino mare didn't eve care what they spoke about; so long as they communicated.

With steps Romani ventured towards where she and Xanthos had taken to settling down when evening would approach, the weather nipping at her thick hide. Orangemoon was in full swing, and soon Frostfall would be on top of them. That thought brought a smile to her lips. Had it already been an entire year since she had arrived in Helovia? Had it truly been that long since she had been found, lost and wandering in the Threshold by Svetlana?

Immediately her thoughts turned away from the deceased StormChaser. Romani would always honor her memory, but she wouldn't let her thoughts dwell on the fate of the Pegasus. No... It was time to look forward, to gaze upon the living and help them thrive.

"Xanthos," Romani called out, her vocals echoing in the fading evening light, "Jasiri... Come along, both of you. I think we should spend some time together, as a family." So, perhaps Romani was feeling a bit sentimental, but who could blame her? With Xanthos' help, they had formed a beautiful family... And if she wanted to be emotional when it came to them, the Haflinger truly believed it wasn't a crime.

At her side, when the Protector came to a halt, little Kasai sat down upon the cooling grass, tail flicking left and right. The monochromatic tigress could feel her bond-mate's melancholic emotion, and immediately sent a mental brush of love to the palomino's soul. Immediately Romani returned it, and even went so far as to lower her head to brush her velvelty muzzle against the tiger cub's cheek. The two-toned patch of fur was soft against her nose, and a deep, calming purr resonated from Kasai's bowels, and together, they waited for father and daughter to show.

[ooc: Private, lovey-dubby thread between Jasiri and Xanthos. Also, hopefully, the thread for Romani to finally receive her feather from Xan. :3]

The True Soldier Fights Not Because
He Hates What is in Front of Him,
But Because he Loves What is Behind Him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Please Tag Romani in all Replies!

Jasiri Posts: 12
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.3 :: 2 Years
Adoptable

J A S I R I

Dear Ma, my aunt and uncle, and Pa; or Romani, Kasai, Azel, and Xanthos,

I miss you, I miss you so much it hurts. I know I am growing up, and that I should need you less, but I still feel the need to be close to you so terribly strong, even if I would much rather become an adult. I need to grow up faster, but I cannot! I am a child, however much I try to deny it. Oh, I'm rambling, Ma; rambling about the same things, things you probably already know! But you must understand these mixed feelings, feelings between concern and the deepening weight of what feels the sky. I know Da and Ma are both very important in this herd, and you must be so busy, but sometimes I can't help but be jealous- I want time with you. Isn't that pathetic? I know it is! I'm already so much older than I was, and my first winter is swift approaching, but I want to feel Ma's gentle nuzzle on my cheek and Da's great silver side pressed against mine; I want to hide beneath your legs and dance in the beautiful flowers that wilt as the nights grow longer and the air chills. Nostalgia is the word, I think. Wanting to be somewhere back in time, and missing that time so desperately.

I cannot believe my age already! Gods above, I begin to rant and ramble miserably once more. Forgive me, family, for my silliness. I feel pathetically lonely sometimes. I am the youngest, I think, of the herd. Except for two new twins, but I am afraid to play with them, for they are spiked and scaled and born by a dragon-lord and the WeyrLeader. Yes, Ma, I know I should not judge on appearances, judge a book by its cover, but I dislike those spines, and they are too young to play with me anyways. Once I met Sakura and Luken, but they were so old, and Luken so big!

I know, I know. I shouldn't be intimidated by size, but I'm small! I can't stop it!

There is so much I need to tell you! I've been so behind on my letters, I'm terribly sorry. Have you noticed my improvement in grammar? I know adjectives. Listen to these- amiable, ardent, faithful, graceful, maternal. All of those are for you, Ma. And Da? Here are yours! Elusive, honest, lady-like, softie-hearted, cute-faced and big-eyed doe. Okay, maybe Da's aren't quite so serious! But speaking of you two, it was a grand day nearing sunset when I heard Ma calling for me, and off I trotted, striking out with fashionable strides and... I don't think I used that word right. Fashionable. Hmm. Maybe long? Elegant? Smooth? I think those sound better. ANYWHO, I went trotting off to you ready to give you a nice stern talking-to about your parenting methods and giving me attention.

But that all sort of melted when I saw you, and I came bounding forward with a wag of leonine tail, overjoyed like a small puppy to see you. I leaped and near-danced, prancing excitedly, and bumped my head against your legs, eyes sparkling deviously. (Take note of the word devious, meaning crafty). "Ma!" I say breathlessly. "Lookit what I can do!" I squeeze my eyes shut tight and focus, imagining the pale yellow orb appearing from my horn, glowing softly and warmly... and when I open them, indeed the ball of light hangs. I grin, overjoyed. But I know soon enough it will fade away, unless I tell it where I wish it to go. For right now I have no desire but to be with my family, and I am already with them. I had discovered my strange ability, oh, a few weeks ago? It was one day when I was particularly bored, and so I desperately wanted excitement. Sure enough, it popped out of what seemed nowhere and, curious, I chased it around and found...

Okay, I'll write that bit tomorrow, I promise. I'm awfully tired now [yawning noises in background]- good night!

Love,
Jasiri

harold.lloyd @ flickr

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

It had taken quite some time for me to settle into herd life. While it was similar to the setup back home in Melhaven, there wasn't nearly as much to worry about here in the World's Edge. No crazed, carnivorous wildlife was looming above me in the perch of the trees, and the need to watch for deadly flora here was almost non-existent. Still, considering my years spent in my homeland, I often found myself inspecting my food before consumption.

Admittedly, I had not been terribly active within the herd as of late. After the meeting some time ago, things seemed to have settled down by now, especially once some of our numbers headed off to the Dragon's Throat to learn of their culture. I longed to follow Ink and the rest to explore the famed desert land, but my duties here as a father and as the highest ranked Wraith beneath Ink kept me anchored here. Not a single complaint ever left my lips, however; I was content to spend my days at my beloved's golden side, eyes ever watchful over our young daughter, Jasiri. The two of them were my world, as were little Azel and Kasai.

Today was no different than the rest. There was a coolness on the breeze that hinted strongly that Frostfall would be upon us soon, and the thought caused me to shudder as I picked my way through the titanic trees dotting the landscape. It was hard to believe that I had only been here in Helovia for a year; it had seemed like so much longer, for I had faced many trials since the day I stepped foot in the Threshold. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that I had been successful at changing my life here for the better, for what would I be doing if I were still in the Basin? Or the Plague? Surely I would not have Jasiri, and I knew not what would have become of Romani after the invasion of the Foothills, if she could not turn the tables on the Grey.

Lost in my thoughts as I was, I was startled at the sudden sound of my name. Drawing to a halt, any fear I had previously felt simmered into nothing as I had recognized the voice. Romani. A smile pulled at my lips as I thought of my beloved, my gilded queen, my rock of comfort and reassurance whenever I was at my lowest. Looking up from near my feet was Azel who seemed to link to my thoughts, wrinkling his nose; he often made the face whenever I thought of Romani. Surely he must have thought it was all too mushy for him, but I knew he would come to understand more of my feelings as he grew older.

With a toss of my head, I sent myself into a carefree canter towards Romani, with young Azel scampering after me. When the Haflinger was in view, as was my young daughter, I called out to them, undeniably happy. Sure, we all saw one another every day, for I always made certain that Jasiri was safe at the end of the day, but... They were my family. How could I not be overcome with joy at seeing them, no matter how often I saw them?

Slowing to a walk, and then a halt, I outstretched my dark muzzle towards each of them and offered a twitch of my lip in welcome. Azel, meanwhile, approached Kasai with his tail held straight up, reaching out to bat at the resting tigress' face. Why was she always lying down, he wondered? It was time to play! Focusing my attention upon my daughter when she spoke, my curiosity was peaked and I watched, eyes growing wide as an orb of light formed at the tip of her ivory horn. Did the light do something, I wondered? Or did it merely provide light for my daughter on the darkest of nights? Either way, I was happy for young Jasiri, and I was proud of her for discovering the power even thought I knew not how she had obtained it. I certainly didn't know magic, and unless Romani was keeping secrets from me, I was certain she didn't, either.

"That's amazing, Jasiri," I say as I lower my head to the filly, "How ever did you learn that?

talk talk talk

If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark