the Rift

[OPEN] Lazy circles

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks

The Dragon's Throat is a fine place to spend the autumn. For weary wanderer and curious child, it makes a haven that calls to heart and soul with unexpected splendor. Three there are who came to this place, and now one stands alone, accompanied only by the other half of a distant heart, the gryphon a blotch of joyous white against cerulean skies.

A splatter of gold and black trailed by a white line, the pair have drifted through the desert on silent wings, both delighting in the landscape in their own way. For the mare, she is home; back to the world of childhood wonder, vastness and beauty stretching out as far as the eye can see. She regrets not coming here sooner, now, for the land is familiar in a way that nearly aches; and under a different time, in a different place, in a different world, would perhaps be somewhere she might call home. Vibrant night and endless day; she wants to see it all, to feel it all, to know it all.

If she were alone, she would remain. But she is no longer alone, no longer one but now more, part of something bigger than herself and tied to lives that beat against her own. Unlike this desert, she is confined. It aches.

With the conclusion of the herd meeting I drift away, knowing that Kali will have called Kaj to follow. It is time for us to sit and speak with those who live here, to make good on the reasoning and promises behind this journey into a land sister to our own. I must admit some eagerness at the promise of speaking to Kri, or taking delight in sweet Onni's friendship: it has been too long since I interacted with those outside of the Edge.

Lithe limbs carry my form around the oasis, hooves leaving crescents in the golden sand. The desert breeze is a quiet delight, and as I lower my head to drink it runs eager fingers through my silver mane, kicking up a mess atop my poll and painting lazy circles with my tail. Beside me, Kali wades happily into the shallow water, taking the opportunity to clean sand from between feathers and toes. Against what all the expectations of her species might dictate, my little brat loves to swim, and will often drift out beyond where she can comfortably stand. Avian and feline, where the hell did amphibious come from? I laugh as she leaps through the shallows, hunting ineffectively for fish too small to fit inside her claws, wings splayed out for balance and water cascading around her small form. The amulet of the earth that we found glitters from its place around her right hind, a hidden treasure in the clear blue stream.

Beautiful, just like this place. In the shade of palms and the fading light of a falling sun, I feel content.

Sinuhe Posts: 38
Dragon's Throat Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1 :: 3
Roo
I'VE WALKED A MILLION MILES FOR YOU, BUT I'M STILL ALONE

It had been less then a week since Avalon had brought me back here to the Throat and already I was feeling quiet at home. The days were beautifully warm and the scenery was always changing, even if it only was a few grains when the wind blew. The rocks here looked as if they were painted red and, over time, the paint had faded. The nights were cool and slightly cold but if I had gone back to the Basin I am sure there nights (and there days for that matter) would have been colder.

Today was a truly beautiful day. I stood on one of the sand dunes, before the large lake that glimmered in the light. With a small smile on my maw I flick my tail then, with out fault, went straight into a stride perfect canter down the dune towards the lake. I made sure to dodge all the cacti with they sharp needles that would easily pin themselves firmly into your skin. As I steadily cantered down a dark figure catches my eye. From the distance I was at, all I could see was some sort of white marking on her rump and a dusted gold marking on her underbelly as well as a thick mass of white hair for her mane and tail.

As I came closer I noticed something white jumping in the water. I smile to myself secretly then slowly I come down to a halt at the edge of the water then briefly smile at the black mare, noticing her mane and tail were almost dipped in gold paint. I gently dip my muzzle into the water, taking a few sips then lift my head and turn my body to face her. "Hullo! Sinuhe here. And yourself?"

SINUHE
IMAGE CREDITS

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava
[ First time in first person guys… here it goes!]

The day was immaculate with its cool breeze and bright coloring. It sent a calm mood which made me feel more relaxed. Lately I have been hard on myself because everything that had happened not so long ago. First off Tio had beaten me in a fight… or so I think. All I remember is the exhaustion of pain that raced through my muscles and nerves. It was almost like I was not in control of my body anymore, my magic was. Wouldn’t you think that all I needed next was more embarrassment right? Don’t you think that I was already mad and disappointed at myself enough? I let my herd down... what did I have to do? No of course I did! After that I was almost dead finding my way back to the Throat. No one came looking for me and no one seemed to care. Once I was closer towards the border line of the Throat, Aryel had found me. She has been a good friend of mine for a while. She took care of me, comforting me and not letting me stay by myself until she knew I was okay. I felt something though that I had never before when our muzzles touched it was like electricity flowing through the touch. Now I’m not quite sure if it was because I was almost close to losing my conscious or because there is something there…

After she had helped me she told me everything that I had missed out on while I was away. The big war to the Foothills, her new companion, and the most important that Lana and Athena had been taken hostage at the Basin. I was heartbroken for I had taken Lana in as my own daughter and I promised her that I would take care of her, but I failed! I failed to help her and to protect her! The thud of my hoof stomping into the sandy terrain beneath them made me shudder. I knew I was starting to get angry and so I started to walk towards to oasis. My thoughts were traveling from Kri and how she almost ate me when she was yelling, to the herd meeting, and finally to the two mares that were standing in front of my presence. Silver orbs gently blinked as my breathing continued at a steady beat. Neither of them looked familiar and more so one of them did not smell of the herd scent. My eyes widened as I walked over in a calm way, but my guard was still up just in case.

The unknown mare caught my eye first. She had a raven black shiny coat complimented by her dusky white mane and tail and a moon like design towards her rump. Then I looked towards my Throat sister as I did consider everyone in the Throat as if they are family even if she was new. I liked new members since they were the future and also helped our herd grow. Her coat was a beautiful icy blue shade that caught my eye immediately. Her mane and tail were curly in the same icy shade. She seemed to be glittering. I offered a smile to both of them as I walked over. I dipped my head with a slight bow and offered to talk “Afternoon ladies, what a lovely day we are having. My name is Levi, I am a Sergeant of the Throat.”. I looked at both mares with a smile of kindness. “Might I ask what your names are?”

I knew that if the unknown mare with the shiny jet back sleek coat would indicate if she was a threat or not and if she did know Kri then she is welcome here in my book.
Levi
"Honor, Protection, Love.

That's what flows in my blood."

image credits
table by whit

Andromeda Posts: 91
Dragon's Throat Healer
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 5 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Lauren

It is but hardly moments after the meeting has adjourned- at least it feels like it- but already trivial problems have begun once more, right when we need unity and trust in ourselves and each other. The wind is brisk and light, a playful little thing to me, and I quite enjoy its fingers ruffling my feathers. My mane and tail swirl and twist in the breeze, and no doubt when I land it will simply be a bird's nest of tangles and knots, but I cannot quite bring myself to care at this moment when the day is so enjoyable, even with the grievous news I have heard of from Sultana.

I wondered where Cassiopeia is, the beautiful Star Breather. Perhaps she was just... too upset after Azzuen's death, and so she had needed a break. Maybe she didn't even realize what had happened. Was she hurt? So long ago she had broken her wing. Had it happened again? Could she not return, was she trapped elsewhere? It worried me slightly. Surely Kri well knew of it... I didn't want to make a mistake and keep it from her. No, I will ask her about it. Maybe I am just out of the loop. I would not be too surprised, after all, if I had been neglected from gossip. Somehow I doubt it would be on purpose- horses just seemed to forget about me, even if I was lucky enough to be promoted to Sergeant.

But my attention is pulled downwards to the land before, to the vague familiar form of Levi. I had been here since the Tuuli had first invaded and held home in the Throat, but by no means did that mean I didn't respect newcomers any more than I held respect for other "old-timers". But Levi seemed to be a different matter. Soon after being promoted, he had disappeared without notice, without a word to us, and I couldn't help but feel disheartened by the thought this stallion could flee so easily from no enemies. Surely he had a good reason for it, but if Kri had accepted him back, I had no reason to ask anything of him. I know the Sultana- both of them- would not have allowed him home unless confident he was loyal.

I do hate to say it, but the other two sergeants aren't exactly level-headed, either. Aryel was hot-headed, and Levi no less. They would be the most perfect couple. I am the one who pays attention to the small details, and I am meticulous in that manner. Never will I rush into bad ideas, I tell myself, and with the slightest of sighs I tip downwards.

Why? Levi was not alone on this beautiful day. A black mare I recognized from the meeting, as well as a newcomer to the Throat, stood alongside him, and I had a feeling Levi was doing something silly. My descent is quick and so I land a little heavier and less gracefully than normal, right in time to hear Levi query of the two. Never would I be so rude as to roll my eyes, but I wrinkle my muzzle and shake it briskly. "Levi," I say softly, my eyes lifted up to his. I am soft-spoken, and there are no hard edges in my voice, but in my eyes there is the smallest twinge of annoyance. "In case you were not listening during the meeting, the lady Rishima is welcome from the Edge. And in case your nose is not working, Sinuhe is part of our herd." I smile slightly to gentle the words further. "I doubt Kri would be happy to see you stopping her visitors and asking information. I'm going to head off on patrol now, thank you." I dip my head politely towards the black mare and Sinuhe, and take off with a great downstroke of my wings, rising upwards.

[[ and I'm out! <3

Brush Credits!
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Andromeda excluding dismemberment and death.

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

KAJ
I will fade out with the falling sun, steal your heart and run

Blankets of endless cream and carmine roll out invitingly along the earth of the desert. Unlike the elegantly mysterious shelter of the woods he hailed from, there was no visible end to this sprawling sandy carpet. Heat blurred the lines of the horizon, colors ranging from pale peach to fluffy white, only to burn into dark umber and crimson as if the particles had caught fire and held the color stubbornly to show all that it had carried on regardless. Overhead a sea of pale azure glittered, only a few wispy clouds of white drifting lazily across. Beneath, the sun hit those little travelers and cast deep shadows across the earth that the pale golden stallion had never seen before. The sun and the clouds could create a shadow strong enough to create faded inky images upon the breast of the earth below? It was magnificent to witness, but he could not linger long on the beauty of the desert. Though he held great awe and respect for the home of those born to touch the never-ending sky above, the mists and woods of home was imprinted on his skin, reaching deep and even touching his soul and heart. It was beautiful, and the open sky overhead made the flight-addicted brute ache with want.

It was a want that would not be fulfilled for now, as he is being called. Though he's never seen a being like Kali before, he has always been one to quickly accept what he considered abnormalities. This was a different land, after all. Knowing she is beckoning him after Rishima, whom he had seen drifting away from the meeting with a serene, if sad, look painted upon her elegant features. Was she trapped in thoughts? Memories? Or was she looking into the future, feeling anxious? Kaj did not know her as well as he knew Ink, or Destrier, but his concern and love for his kin knew no bounds. Some found him strange, he supposed, for the loyalty he showed. Knowing from experience that these Helovians were odd little things that did not show the brotherly and sisterly companionship and devotion that his herd had. Here, touch was not accepted from an unknown soul that still held the scent of your herd. Where he had hailed from, touch was almost constant and far exceeded the level of comfort that these Helovians had. It was intimate, full-body, and sincere. Kaj didn't miss those he had left behind, nor the land they had occupied, but he missed the kinship shared between complete strangers. Would Rishima allow him to slowly build up his brushes and physical comforts? With Ink he had become aware of the reservations of the Helovian inhabitants, and realized that certain levels of friendship led to certain freedoms of speech and touch.

Yeah, this all still really confused him.

Nonetheless he turned and headed after the lithe fae that wandered off into the infinity of the landscape. It was actually rather eery, seeing it. Keeping at a moderate distance to watch over her protectively, his wings ached for use. Feeling like a naughty foal debating breaking a small rule, he began to try and make flying logical. Surely he could keep a better eye on Rishima and her surroundings when he was airborne? So without thinking over it too hard he gave a hard downstroke, pale tips and underside of his wings catching the sunlight and searing up the color of his canvas until he is a glowing golden bird above the mistress he protects. With an objective, his normally elusive attention is not only in his control once more, but under strict hold. Pale cerulean irises flicker to and fro, constantly alert as he drifted steadily above and slightly behind the inky fae. When her pace slows, he circles a few times to ensure there are no immediate threats, and begins to descend. The icy kissed fae standing serenely upon the hill is watched closely, seeing her move towards the water without any sign of discovery upon her features. Assured that she was likely only looking for a drink, Kaj turned the dark plumage that coated his marginal, primary, and secondary coverts to the sky and let himself glide down. It was time he joined the gold and obsidian laced lass.

Landing to her right side, parallel to her, Kaj had put a good amount of space so as not to disturb the sand with the powerful gusts of wind that emanated from his beating appendages. Needing the slow approach, he couldn't keep it from happening, but he could keep the sand from disturbing them and their peaceful paradise. Yet another approaches, this one a stallion. Kaj's eyes lock upon his form like that of a wild feline, dangerous beneath but deceptively calm where all others could see. Rose grey mixes with the cream of this pegasi's pelt as he moves, and Kaj eyes him as a mother might eye a potential threat to her offspring. Because they have landed on opposite sides of Rishima and the other doll, this expression is at too far of a distance for him to possibly read. Especially being a stranger. The WingLead knew he had a rather serene, if detached expression nearly at all times. Without some sort of understanding of Kaj's expressions, it would be nearly impossible to detect. However all changed when the stallion shifted.

Instinct told Kaj to protect the two females, especially the raven doe closest to him. It demanded he move, fast, and engage this possible threat before he could move any closer to his herd sister. Something in him sensed the caution in the newcomer's stance, the way his eyes flicker between both females but lingered on Rishima. Kaj recalled seeing him at the meeting, surely he could not have forgotten them so quickly? With such importance to both of their names, and their desires to strengthen bonds in an exchange of members? The beauty he has arrived with has scars that are proof to all who gaze upon them that she is far from defenseless, and the distant chill of her eyes is another indicator of her inner strength and sharpness. Rishima does not need to be protected, and would likely be offended at the notion, but Kaj was of a different breed than these curious inhabitants. Because of this, instinct is ignored that afternoon, because Kaj will not need to defend her unless this brute gives him something to ward off. He would not ruin the friendship between their homes simply because one of them seemed to match quite accurately the description of a bird brain. Kaj could hardly remember to keep track of keeping track of his thoughts, which only confused him to word it such, and even he remembered most of those seen and what they had said at the meeting. That surely had to say something. So instead, he rises to his full height. It is no small stature which he bears, much of which is toned and athletic from his countless seasons fighting. The scar upon his foreleg is a reminder of his fight with Maskan, and a trophy he wore proudly for having earned it struggling for the title he now held. Despite shrinking slightly as it healed, it is still a glaringly obvious mark, and it glints the pale white-pink of healed skin as he strides towards Rishima.

Perhaps it shouldn't be called striding, because he advances like a cat with fur sticking up and tail flickering dangerously. Pillars move with quick, precise movements that will take him to his sister's side without seeming to be on alert or in a rush. Normally loose, relaxed stance is now corrected to show the importance he owns, and yet still cannot fathom. Eyes are on that dark form, and yet his gaze flickers repeatedly to the other stag. Only once he has made it to her side does he still, turning only to face where she points and stepping ahead of her slightly. He does not shield her. Kaj is being as subtle as possible with his protective measures, and little betrays him other than a dark shadow over his gaze that flickers in and out, or the wings that lift slightly from his sides to emphasize and increase his already large frame. It is only a slight difference to the relaxed pose most pegasi use, but it is incredibly hard to resist the urge to lift them in a full intimidation method. A challenge. Is he brash, hot-headed? No, far from, so he is aware of the consequences that could come down on him should he appear to be threatening this Throat member. In all honesty he doesn't want to, regardless of his job and what soil he stands on. Caution, preparation, and wariness are leagues away from threatening, offensive, and dangerous.

With Rishima's shoulder equal to his stomach, he lets the wing closest to her rise up and brush with utmost care and softness against her coat. It is the wordless language he wields most often, the one that granted him such easy communication with Ink. Such simple, sincere words follow this action. Assurances. I am here. I am at your side and your back simultaneously, whenever you need me. Nobody will harm you while I am alive, even if you can defend yourself. And, of course, simpler things such as greetings and friendship. These were still far more elaborate than what most would consider a friendly greeting, but in the privacy and knowledge of his own mind Kaj was oblivious to this. I am comfortable here with you. I trust you enough to extend the part of me that is most fragile, despite the clear signs that you can easily injure me. I will give you my time, my companionship, my strength, anything I can offer until you have had your fill and I am of no more use. These deep, sincere phrases are accompanied by gentle, pale sapphire eyes that turn to her for an extended moment. The distant, warily curious look he forcefully constructed for the other stallion melts away into an expression softer than the fluffy clouds he had mused over during their journey, and warmer than the sun that touched their backs at nearly all hours. Even so, he knows better than to let his feelings towards his kin keep the respect and admiration from his body. He is honored to stand beside her, regardless of her relationship with Mirage or her title.

Does she understand?

Whether she does or does not, his line of vision soon settles once more on the other two. Offering a small smile- adorably crooked and boyishly shy as it may be- to the unknown dame, he attempted to ease the tension he felt building in his limbs. At last he decided this stallion was to be of little trouble, and with the distance the shimmering liquid put between them, Kaj allowed himself to lower his wings; using the motion of the one that had given a feathery kiss to Rishima to lower the both of them. That is all. He is still a giant, towering over the vixen at his side and the lad across the way, so it does little to make him seem less imposing. Not that his detached, unreadable expression helped any, but that was something he always had. Levi could react how he saw fit, and hopefully the kind smile he had directed towards the still unknown princess would comfort her. He had not arrived early enough to catch her name, he feared.

Oh, apparently another was approaching.

Much like Rishima she is decorated, laced, with the pure ivory that resembles stars. Kaj was growing decidedly fond of these midnight landscapes delicately, reverently, transfered from reality to flesh. Heavily she lands, but as a fellow flier Kaj had anticipated this long before her hooves kissed the earth. Swift descent stirs the ground far less than Kaj's, but it is not always pleasant for one to jar their legs upon every landing. She collects herself, regaining the grace she'd had moments earlier in that still baby blue lake. Clearly she has come only for this brute, and with a velvet voice she clearly chides him with no remorse. Her terseness is rather admirable, and her swift entrance is upheld by her equally swift departure. Somehow he respects her, and yet finds her blunt reprimand and temporary presence amusing. Like a flash of lightning she is there and gone, with only the hairs upon their necks rising as proof of her passing. Leaving behind the acrid taste of electricity, although that may have been the smell of how thoroughly she had struck down the little man with so few words. Yes, Kaj was definitely amused by the women of Helovia.

A deep sound comes from within, clearing his throat to speak in the awkward silence that followed. For a moment he flails inside, wondering why he had done such a thing when he was not one to speak often on a normal occasion. Either way words are rolling upon his tongue, and trickling like warm raindrops from his lips to reach the ears of all three left around the pool of water. Rishima, he suspects, is the type to cut with her words just as easily. Far wiser than he, she still has the aspect of youth and wit that many rebellious young colts and fiery little fillies have. It wouldn't surprise him if he had already been placed on the chopping block for extending such an intimate- was that what they considered it here?- gesture in her direction. "My name is Kaj," was all he offered, voice deep and smooth, a velvet coated roll of thunder. Levi had already introduced himself, and his title, but Kaj found it ridiculous when people did so. He viewed it as them vying for respect, groveling, or change in attitude from whomever they apparently had to inform. It was the person, not the title, that garnered and hopefully deserved respect. If every lead was respected and tolerated only for their position, tyranny would have never ended, and the land would be far more poisoned. So he goes back to the silence that fits him, finding no use in talking needlessly. Kaj never did grasp the basics of small talk, and always ended up awkwardly rambling or picking an idiotic topic out of nerves. The golden brute was made for strategy, strength, and silent, loyal companionship. With so much warfare drilled into his brain, and the stallions of his natal home all silent stone forces behind the magic-wielding mares, he had never even been exposed to it. No wonder he was such a brick wall.

image credits
table by whit

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
They arrive, the flock of birds who inhabit this barren landscape, come to gawk and inspect the newcomers through a lens of curious eyes and good intent. Kali paddles awkwardly through the deeper waters when the first pulls alongside, a lovely young mare draped in innocuous blue who dips her head down to taste the cool water. This simple act of fearless trust is something I confess not to have expected; it takes me by surprise, and for a moment I simply watch the smaller creature drink, dark eyes subtly tracing the lines of her pale form.

"Sinhue." Her name rolls off my tongue and into the space between us, an echo of the cheerful voice spoken softly by my low alto. "That is a lovely name." I am halted in my aim to offer back my own title by the sudden stomping of authoritative feet upon the packed and broken sand, and suddenly there is another, a stallion this time who smells of the expansive desert and some amount of discontent. He sizes us up and I watch in return - I remember this one from the meeting we'd just adjourned, a soldier of some sort with an iron eye.

It would appear he does not remember me. Ah well, I can't say I blame him - not sure I would have remembered me, given the circumstances. There were many names passed around, many scents and many faces. I cannot say I remember his name, that it hasn't fled my mind like a wayward ghost, if ever I heard it at all. It's alright, though; he seems more than willing to give it up again. Children, child; they pass out names like candy, the secrets of themselves given up on silver platters, offerings of identity unchecked by caution. Now I am in debt to them both. I must give my name, or I shall truly be thought an infidel and a grump.

Or perhaps this one shall do it for me.

Kaj is coming, Kali tells me, even as the second pegasus strides into our midst. And oh, is she a spirited one; she remembers my name, it seems, this damsel of the night sky whose appearance rather takes my breath away. Daughter of the moon, could you be my kindred, or does your outward beauty mean to beguile me, to take my fancy and turn it on itself? Starchild, I saw you in the meeting and I was smitten; I see you now and my admiration blooms.

But forgive me, I am growing far more romantic than I ever meant to, and for no particular reason other than a smattering of stars.

She chastises Levi with a snapping tongue, and then, in an instant, she disappears, sprung into the sky from whence she came and gone for good from this mortal world. She leaves, and I follow her with a wry smile, even as Kaj finally reaches our little group, a giant winged brute on a quite ironic prowl. He's worried, Kali informs me; she's climbed from the water and now licks herself dry upon the shore. He thinks you aren't safe. A half-smile creeps across my lips, amused by this entire mess of heightened emotions and unnecessary stress. The silliness of children is only entertaining to me now. Are they really so ardent, or am I simply that old?

"She spoke true," I say soothingly, calmly to my remaining companions. Beside me Kaj has arrived, the brush of his wing an offer of safety to one who is under no sort of threat. Levi has only asked for my name, not sought to expel me; I would behave the same in his hooves. Still, I shift subtly against Kaj's side, leaning in only for a moment to thank him for the gesture before letting my weight fall back onto four legs. "My name is Rishima; this devil is Kali." At the sound of her name my brat looks up, chirping brightly at the strangers before leaping into the air to land gracefully upon Kaj's back. She has no qualms with physical attachment, not the way the rest of us do. She loves Kaj as she loves everyone in her flock; and as though to accent this fact she drapes herself across him lazily, yawning as she braces for a nap in the sun.

Kaj gives his own name in a breath of thunder, and I let it settle before speaking again. I'd hoped he might give a lovely spiel as he did at the meeting, but alas, it seems that the roll of informant has been left in my hands this time.
"We are visiting from the Edge; I must say, your home is lovely." A peace offering, a smooth placation to soothe ruffled feathers and ease heavy hearts. I pass my eyes over them all, a glittering warning in their onyx depths. Play nice now; we did not come here to fight.

I wish Kri or Onni would arrive. I am not the best at diplomacy, and far from the best at people. I wish I had simply left to explore the desert once more. It would be far more pleasant than this debacle.