the Rift

[PRIVATE] [MIDAS] This Is The Last Resort

Crash Course Posts: 74
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 9 :: Birdsong Buff: NOVICE
Ragnar :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Nevada
Crash Course
where's your crown?

The season drug on and days passed slowly. The Throat had been providing a home for the draft stallion for what had to have been weeks now. Nearly silent the entire stay, he was drug here by Midas, the stallion who wore plates and layers of metallic armor during their battle.. well, more of a "let's beat Crash to the ground" game. He had stood no chance against the feathered brute, no matter how much he hated to admit it. The sun sat heavily in the sky, burning his thick coated hide. Though it had been a while, his body was still accustomed to the Basin; thick fur and long, knotted hair to cover his neck.

Crash stood with his head held at shoulder height, ears pressed backward to listen behind him. Dark forelock cascaded over tired blue eyes, hiding them from the beating sun. Orangemoon had begun quite a while ago, but the sun never seemed to lessen in this hell hole. The stallion had been here for far too long. He lifted his large head, the black and silver bone protruding from the mess of hair glinting in the sunlight. "Midas, I know you're over here somewhere." His voice was gravely and loud, seeming to echo in the emptiness.

He had no intentions of a fight, a dumb ass argument, or trying to run. The clumsy draft wouldn't be able to stand another fight against the much more in-shape warrior. Besides not knowing how to fight properly, he was still slightly sore from being struck in the withers. White ears rotated around, dark eyes peering from the thicket of hair to scan the surrounding areas. He'd easily be able to spot the brute in this landscape; the contrast of his colors surely would clash against the foliage just as Crash's did as well.

(Sorry I did this before our other thread was over, I was going insane not being able to use him. But of course I'll finish out the rest of that thread as if he were still here. :) )

Please tag me in all posts.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
the one to see you through your darkest times

The boy hadn’t said much since his arrival. Thankfully for me, silence made his stay rather straightforward. Simple to guard and simple to care for. It wasn’t a blessing for him though—I could have had sympathy for this pitiful excuse of a soul, but unfortunately my heart had hardened to that matter. Those sealed lips would eventually part—breaking truth. Levi and I took turns watching over him; a duty that was made easier with the help of endless expansions of land separating our guest from the north. It was simple to spot a black and white dot frolicking across the dunes—and wisely the oversized brute decided to stay put.

That wasn’t to say my family was treating the stallion badly, despite his sins—we showed more mercy than perhaps his own kind might have given. Offering ample food and water at the very least; all the comforts of home—or well…most of them. I had just returned from a morning of patrols, eager to enter the sanctuary or as we call it, ‘Oasis’. Cooler temperatures made hard work more pleasant, but it was always nice to have lunch with Cera under the shade of our old magnolia tree. Catch up on the day.

Overhead I flew above the waves of sandstone; this limestone bowed like a great auditorium. It was where we met for council meetings, and herd gatherings—it was also where the basin stallion was being kept for the time being. Since, our desert currently had no holding cells or prisons. I noticed him among the rocks from about a hundred feet up. Feathers shifted as the breeze stroked each primary from underneath. The bend of my wings closed until the distance between us started to lessen. I glided down and choose to land on a slab of stone, about twenty or so feet above where he stood. The clicking sound of golden hooves striking rock echoed through the empty common place.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Hidden Account
Crash Course
where's your crown?

The sound of fluttering wings that he had come to know echoed through his brain. The brute shifted his face toward a rock where the bird-like male landed, his shiny hooves clinking against the stone. The stallion stood, saying nothing, above Crash. The gentle breeze that drove from Midas' landing, tussled small fly-aways in Crash's forelock. "Why am I still here? I have nothing to tell you that you'd want to know." He spoke with a bored, dry tone, watching his capture with intense eyes.

The stay had been so boring and tiring, even though there was no intense abuse given to the draft. The lack of grazing that he was allowed make his weight decrease only by a bit, but it was only natural in this type of environment to be thinner, he had guessed. The trip back to the Basin would surely do a number on his body. The territory around him seemed to dish into the earth, creating a natural bowl. His mind wandered, wondering if this had ever been full of sweet, cold water. His dry tongue clicked against the roof of his mouth.

Dark eyes stayed put on the perched male, inspecting every feather and each joint that connected the feathery appendages to his shoulders. The fading coloration of his large wings was dazzling, though he hated to admit it. The stallion really was all around amazing from what he could scrape up from the back of his mind. He could fight, he was tender, he cared for his family - his herd, and he was a protector. The time spent in these lands gave Crash plenty of time to rethink what he could and should have done during their match. The first thing that came into his mind, he should have just grabbed one of those god forsaken feathers and taken off. Midas would have never known.

(Tiny posts are tiny..)

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas

He looks up at me, and instead of frowning back my dusty black lips curve into a half smile. I still hadn’t learned this fellow’s name, or why his desires had caused so much trouble. Perhaps though, a lesson had been learned—at least for one of us. “Why am I still here?” Brows narrowed, but that same smile remained, the choice to keep him here had been removed from my control shortly after he had hit sand. The Sultanas decided his fate; Kri in particular. “I have nothing to tell you that you’d want to know.”

Well…amused by this statement I asked quietly, but loud enough that he would surely hear, “You could share why you attacked one of my kin?” Wings settled, their bends folding snugly across my barrel, “That day didn’t have to end as it had…” I mused softly, questioning him without harsh bite as I’m sure my leaders might have. Interrogation wasn’t my forte; I usually tried to make people see reason and understanding—before using force. Others, preferred the pain approach.

True, I could cover him with sand, biting into his dry flesh with each lash. I could shake the ground beneath his feet, tremble earth and even shatter his confidence in life with one mighty war cry. It was all within my power, but how often had I used these talents to wound? Rarely. It was perhaps my most admiring attribute, and my fall out all in one beat. The knowledge to offer mercy or judgment. I had judged him, as he might have me if my actions had threated a sister.

Hidden Account
Crash Course
where's your crown?

Instead of the expected sneer or scowl that Crash had expected to cross the paint's face, a thin lipped smile pressed across his mug. Crash drew in a deep breath, listening to each work flow from the higher stallion's lips. Why had I attacked her? His brain spoke to him, picking at his memory for just a moment before replying.

"I guess I was just in a bad mood." He raised his invisible eyebrows, a thin, mocking smirk spreading across his face easily. Normally the draft would just respond with the truth and question again for his leave. But today he was feeling a little more, irritating. Today he was just going to be a complete witty asshole.

A soft breeze rolled through the dip in the earth, carrying with it dust and small, scattering leaves. The air was so dry, it must not have rained here for years. In reality, he knew that it must have, other wise the Pegasus population here would not be thriving so well. Unless of course they had a source of clean water, almost like the Basin's hot spring. His brain brought back images of the white, antlered mare emerging from the spring, looking brand new and alive again.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

He wasn’t going to talk in a way that was useful for either of us—that much was obvious. For a moment I thought there was an intelligent flicker behind those much older eyes; but then it was extinguished. Without the same polite manner he responds, “I guess I was just in a bad mood.” had he been in a rotten enough mood to hurt another? To kill another? This brute spoke as if such a thing was normal, natural even. Something similar to anger flashed behind my eyes, a spark of hate for his manner of thinking. Just as quickly that it came, that same spark vanished—only one paying close attention might have noticed the minuscule change.

An old wound still tingled. Remembrance of a blood stallion with similar desires; he had nearly destroyed Cera—and myself in the process. Quietly I answered, though the softness that had previously entered my tone was gone—instead the vocals felt cold, “You would take a life simply because you are having a bad day?” It was a notion that made my heart grow stiff—without the value and morals that we held. What set us apart from demons? From dumb witted animals? My lord came to mind in that moment of silence, directly after I spoke—“it takes more strength to forgive than to hate.”

How right my father was. It would be so simple to bend down, call upon anger and smite this fool—smite all the fools even (before they could reproduce and make more). But it took control and discipline to withhold hate, and instead try to love. A task that I doubted our prisoner could boast having even sampled. One breathe at a time, one moment.

Hidden Account

The brute's tone suddenly grew cold, but still held it's gentle and calm tone. “You would take a life simply because you are having a bad day?” Take a life? Crash narrowed his dark blue orbs against a subtle gleam from Midas' silver collar. "Take a life? That was not my intention. If I were planning on that, I wouldn't have played around so much with her. I simply wanted one of those feathers, which I thought I had once she plucked one herself."

He dropped his face a few inches, shifting his weight from all four sturdy legs to three, curving his front left hoof awkwardly. He could feel a corner of the scab on his shoulder peel from his hide, almost like pulling a few long strands of hair from his tail. They had thought his intentions were to kill the nameless female? Not even. That would have been a much easier task than grabbing a feather, he guessed. Though he figured a tussle with his opponent would be easy.. how wrong was he. Crash stared at the golden eyes of the perched male, waiting for his response.

Even though he kept his eyes locked on the brute, his mind wandered to their first meeting. The female, small and dappled, seemed so frightened beyond all means. Her heart could have given easily from how she was acting, if she did not give herself an anxiety attack before and pass out. Then the painted one swooped in with his golden accented wings, saying so few words before rushing into a push and shove contest. This was quite more than enough to make the draft realize that he had to learn how to fight. How to defend himself, and possibly his herd at one point.

walk walk walk think think think talk talk talk

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

"Take a life?” He seemed shocked by my question, and this was puzzling. Considering how all his previous actions had led me to such a direct conclusion; and why shouldn’t it? Through my eyes he had been bullying Africa unprovoked—I couldn’t call myself a warrior if such a forward approach didn’t seem threatening. “That was not my intention. If I were planning on that, I wouldn't have played around so much with her. I simply wanted one of those feathers, which I thought I had once she plucked one herself." So much for his previous excuse of, ‘having a bad day.’ There had been an actual reason behind the attack. A reason that was as clear as mud; his lips had just thrust a purpose into the light yet still I remained bemused. Wondering why in the world a man his age would have need for a feather of all things. Truth would leave shadows eventually, one just had to ask the right questions. Apparently in this instant I had landed upon proper footing.

“Did it not cross your mind to simply ask for a feather?”

I’m sure Africa wouldn’t have cared one bit when it came to sharing a little of her plumage…had he but inquired with a little tact and dignity. My tail grows active now, quietly swishing from side to side. This could have all been avoided if the unicorn had simply communicated what those desires were—simply storming into the world thinking that you’ll get your wishes granted instantly was a fool’s choice. Those dreams will leave you with a crippled heart and a scarred hide.