the Rift

[OPEN] In the dark a lady awaits day

Sinuhe Posts: 38
Dragon's Throat Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1 :: 3
Roo
I'VE WALKED A MILLION MILES FOR YOU, BUT I'M STILL ALONE

Now I knew that even the desert nights were cold. You would expect that, with each day being fresh with new heat, the nights would keep the warmth in them. But they didn't. It was cold. Horribly cold in fact. I stood on the sand, at the bottom of a large dune. The moon hung lazily in the sky. No stars were out tonight. It was a plain black sky with just a huge silver dot in the middle. The sand was cold under my hooves. Normally heat was trapped in the sand so at night it felt strange. As if I wasn't even in a desert any more, but a wasteland.

I smile to myself. My eyes were gently shut and my muzzle raised in the air, towards to moon. Its gentle rays shed light on my face and part of my neck. I open my eyes, reviling a beautiful shade of blue gems. There is a shine in them. A tear shine. A happy tear shine. I don't know how many times I had thought it before but I was glad, more then glad to have a place to call home. And one as grand and beautiful as this? It felt good to be part of.

I shake my head, bringing it down from its highly held position in the air. Without my head turning I slowly take a look round at home. I wondered who else was out there and if they was anyone who appreciated this land as much as I did. Also, was there any foals out there? Or creatures that would be classed as an 'other'? There was so much opputunity out here, despite it just being a desert. I snot. then turn by back to the moon so that the wind wasn't blowing in my face. I breath in deeply, smelling the warmth, and the light, that was soon going to dawn on the land.

And exhale.

The road ahead had never looked grander then now.

SINUHE
IMAGE CREDITS

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: afri_zps12e4f1bf.png]

The air was bitterly cold as Organgemoon’s grip on Helovia grew ever more intense, the promise of a harsh Frostfall balanced on chilled claws. It hugged Africa tightly so that her skin prickled wickedly, and she stirred restlessly beneath her favourite rocky overhang just east of the oasis- the Throat’s luxurious heart. The young mare awoke with a bleary yawn and her eyes squinted through the softly moonlit darkness. A shiver ricocheted along her flinching spine and another weary yawn fought its escape through the submissive slack of her jaws. She could not tell what disturbed her from slumber immediately- if in fact it had been anything other than the coldness of the night.

Having been curled in against herself for warmth, Africa stretched her long lean forelegs out in front of her and lifted her wings upward to allow the settled blood to rush from their farthest points and refill with fresh vigour. Groggily, she pulled herself to stand across stiffened limbs. A dull thirst bothered her throat with a tickle, and the young horse moved from the small hollow in the sand which she had formed after many nights bedding there.

Naturally she walked in the direction of the oasis, though her rhythm was plagued with lethargy and her steps careless. Suddenly, Africa paused mid-stride. A figure glowed a little further ahead and Africa was taken aback. The mare, awash beneath the delicate stroke moonlight, could easily have been an apparition or ghost, should her scent have not already reached out to confirm the moment’s reality through Africa’s fluttering nostrils.
Hello?” Africa called out quietly, conscious that no other noise broke the suffocating silence. “We have not met- I am Africa.” She shuffled nearer, cautious always should the stranger- with a very obvious horn, be on a spying mission from the north.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Art by Nevada
Table by Ghost

Dragon's Throat Mare
Roo

A scent drifts past and I imidiatly twist my body round in the direction it came from. Though the dark cloak of night I could clearly see a mare standing cautiously a little way of. She shuffled slowly closer, he voice ringing clearly in the eary silence of the Throat. “Hello? We have not met- I am Africa.” The speaker was a young Pegasus mare, around the same age of me. I could just make out that she was lightly coloured with a darker coloured tail.

I smile warmly, whether she saw it or not did not matter to much. Lifting my head slightly I take a few small steps towards her with my head bowed prettily. I was glad I was no longer alone. I didn't feel like sleeping tonight, I was in to good a mood, so a bit of company would do me good. Plus I wanted to meet others around here and maybe make a few good friends.

Although it was dark (and Africa probably couldn't see it) I still smiled and with my warm voice I say: "Well, it's good to meet you Africa. I am Sinuhe." Her scent had a strong essence of the Throat in so she must live here. To make conversation though, with a quick pause in my words, I ask how long had she been here. "You live here? I have only joined recently."

OOC: Don't ask what happened in this post...:P

SINUHE
IMAGE CREDITS

Deceased

The ghostly mare turned towards Africa suddenly; the salt-licked breeze curling a new path, billowing now up from the dapple greys rear perhaps betraying her approach. Her neatly pointed ears tipped forward cordially in reaction. Her eyes were more open during the shadow hours, with enlarged pupils whose ability to penetrate the darkness was aided greatly by the soft glow of unhindered moonlight. This horse, seemingly clothed in a frosty winter-white, was an easy silhouette to trace against the sombre desert emptiness, though the horn growing from the mare’s forehead was only seen when her face tilted through the vague rinse of light.
The horned horse closed the remaining distance dividing with small, delicate steps that would never match Africa’s elegant, swinging strides. When they stood more closely to one another, the young mare saw that her company was considerably smaller than she; both in her petite build, and lower stance. Regardless, a quietly unassuming smile found purchase across her thin black lips.

An unclear expression, presumed by the gullible Africa to be the shape of a smile was noted in return, and her guess was validated when the stranger’s warm, friendly voice melted through the silence afterward. "Well, it's good to meet you Africa. I am Sinuhe." A sigh of relief slipped from the mare’s broadened nostrils, and the readiness flanking her body with hesitation relaxed. There was only a brief pause, not enough to cause awkwardness, and Sinuhe spoke again. "You live here? I have only joined recently."
A light, museful chortle murmured, deep within Africa’s throat, and she tilted her hoof casually to rest, rocking the bulk of her weight left. “I do Sinuhe- well met.” She tilted her face thoughtfully for a brief moment, inwardly settling the suspicion whose remains dithered as faint prickling across her withers. “Welcome to the Throat, sister.” A obligatory salutation, for they were brethren now indeed. Piercing the privacy of Sinuhe’s space with the friendly reach of her twitching muzzle, Africa assured their union with a cheerful nudge. “How are you finding everything? If I can help in any way, do let me know.” She withdrew her gesture graciously, and peered good-naturedly at the unicorn.

Art by Nevada
Table by Ghost

Dragon's Throat Mare
Roo

I was smaller, both in build and height, but that did not bother me one bit. I was sure that there were others out there that were smaller, a whole lot smaller in fact but since when did a few hands make a difference? Never. Nor did a smaller build make a difference. To be quiet honest, I enjoyed being this high. I was still quiet tall, and I was quicker and lighter on my feet. As she did I rest a back hoof on the sand in a relaxed way.

Her name, Africa, I was sure it wasn't usually used as a name for a living soul but in fact a country. She seemed nice enough though. “Welcome to the Throat, sister.” Was everyone here considered family? My own, old kin had always considered all as family, even the new borns and the oldies, the mean and the to kind. We were all one. I had already have the idea that this herd was closely knitted and that was a good thing. Maybe they also considered themselves as 'one'.

“How are you finding everything? If I can help in any way, do let me know.” The words went along with a gentle nudge. The gesture was small, kind and meaningful. Her words were as such to. I knew she had defiantly been here longer then me now, long enough to be able to help others. "Thank you Africa. I am glad I came here," Then, with a shake of my head I say: "And not go back to the Basin. To be perfectly honest, they disgust me and I have only been here a week or so." I didn't know if Africa had met one of there oh so loveable racists. Though I'm sure, if she had, she would of got her fail deal of crap from them. "I wonder what it would be like to live there..." I say, a curious tone in my voice.

SINUHE
IMAGE CREDITS

Deceased

The soft light that was, dimmed suddenly as a shadow rushed over the two mares. Africa looked up quickly, her searching eyes finding the broad blackened wingspan of one of their kin; a solider patrolling perhaps, sailing far overhead. A comforted shudder swelled through her body, and she shrugged as warmth embraced her. Since the threat of the Basin had been formally announced, the Throat’s defences had been doubled and the army stirred to life with the grand challenge of tournaments and mock tests, to better skill should war befall the humble heartland. Peace, no matter how fragile, still occupied the population- the family.

Dropping her gaze, the young grey studied Sinuhe thoughtfully, filling the moments between their exchange patiently in waiting. “Thank you Africa. I am glad I came here," The pallid mare replied; her graceful civility plainly obvious and met with a pleasantly casual nod. Africa rested her formality when in the company of her brethren; there was comfortable understanding shared by all- although, she keenly remembered that she must exercise caution when in the presence of Kri (she valued her face, and the idea of having it chewed right off made her squirm uncomfortably). Sinuhe tossed her head, and added with conviction- "And not go back to the Basin. To be perfectly honest, they disgust me and I have only been here a week or so.”

Africa held her breath. The stallion she recalled had not even revealed his name, let alone in place of residence. He had been frighteningly racist though, threatening her life all for the sake of thieving a mouthful of her beloved feathers. A nervously uneasy smile betrayed her thoughts as her herd-sister continued, curiously... “I wonder what it would be like to live there..." She exhaled, a long pensive sigh and closed her eyes to rid her mind of the refreshed trauma which had struck her barely days after her own arrival in the Throat; in Helovia.

I don’t like to judge- try to keep a non-biased, clear head... You know.” Africa breathed then, opening her eyes disappointedly, “But the folk of the distant north are nothing but unbridled trouble.” Her voice was filled with discontent and he danced lustfully, pursuing her in illusion before the glaze of her struggling eyes. She had been born and raised to believe that the Pegasus race was the unrivalled, prime civilisation- horned horses and those who were primitive and entirely unadorned were only a fable before her transgression upon Helovian shores. That stallion had left a sour impression, but her trusting, forgiving heart held no grudge against his kind- Sinuhe’s kind. “We have been warned to travel in numbers.” She concluded simply, with a low voice and a tenderly concerned shake of her head.

Art by Nevada
Table by Ghost

Dragon's Throat Mare
Roo

Whatever part of me had allowed the words '"I wonder what it would be like to live there..."' to roll of my tongue was growing with curiosity and taking over my thoughts. d'Artagnan had said that not everyone there was racist but what difference did that really make? What non-racist would want to mingle with the racist and gain themselves a racist reputation, to be classed as one of them. As I looked at Africa I wondered if she herself had ever gone to the Basin before. They had probably tried to rip her wings right of her body, it was a disgusting thought.

"The folk of the distant north are nothing but unbridled trouble.” It seemed true. I know had guessed that at some point in her time being here she had met one of the racist ones. It was disturbing. Who the hell did they think they were to go round acting as if they know it all? “We have been warned to travel in numbers.” It was advice to be listen to and took seriously but somewhere inside me I was almost telling myself to go and take a look for myself.

My smile had faded slightly since I had feel into deep thought. It quickly replaces itself though, it may not have been as bit as before but I was still deeply thinking, but it was enough to show that I liked being in her company. "Unbridled trouble...sounds about right." I say thoughtfully. My eyes briefly fell to the ground. The curiosity of going to pay a visit was still growing, maybe kick some racist ass. I lift my head back up again, my eyes now glimmering slightly. Although she was a Pegasus, would she come to the Basin, just to see what they're like and how they run? My placid smile turns into a devilish grin. "How 'bout we play a neat trick on one of them?"

SINUHE
IMAGE CREDITS

Deceased

"Unbridled trouble...sounds about right." The ice-blue mare agreed, and Africa found herself nodding credulously. They were united by the same cause now, and the young grey had no reason left to doubt the integrity of her horned company; her soul was naive and unquestioning. Pale eyes glanced across Sinhue’s thinning smile as she appeared to fall headlong into a pit of thought- the almost vacant expression, the furrow across her snowy brow, it was fleeting. Africa too paused to think, inwardly reconsidering the label she had been asked to swaddle Vy in. That mare was from the Basin also. Although the lavender creature had been somewhat aloof, and of a quietly reserved character, Africa had observed neither a trace of spite lathering the spill of her tongue, or irreverence etched against her prettily chiselled face. Perhaps it was cruel to tarnish all of the northern unicorns with a brush slick with aversion; maybe the dapple grey Pegasus was a hypocrite to think of them as racist.

The jerk of Sinuhe’s face as she lifted her eyes from the dark dune beneath their hooves snapped Africa from her own cloud of thought. A suddenly nervous twitch gripped her right eye; a subtle sparkle, soiled and glinting in the wash of moonlight, lit in the other mare’s strangely alluring blue eyes, and it immediately betrayed the mischief patterning in the privacy of her mind. The modest smile had been a simple reassurance to the sweet-natured grey, curled into something more devilish; sinister, and she squirmed beneath its unfamiliar impression. She had never been the naughty sort, she was a clean and pure heart- but equally she was an obliging character who lacked confidence obtained through life experiences. Africa was the girl who had lived a rather fruitless, sheltered life, no matter how brief that time had been.

"How 'bout we play a neat trick on one of them?" Her hoof dropped from its break, the muscles strapping her long lean leg tensing against the uncertainty simmering in her gentle heart. Caution rang through her ears, the deafening pulse of engorged blood vessels pumping a ferocious onslaught of adrenaline through her refined, unscathed frame. Perhaps it was that surging adrenaline which numbed her common sense- that small amount of forward thinking the young fool had amassed. Africa was not a clever creature; she was kindly, and forgiving- even towards one who would have her beautiful wings plucked clean. “What sort of trick?” She asked under her breath, softly and laced with apprehension. Perhaps she would be the lamb led astray; the girl who wanted to fit in so desperately and experience the spoils of fun.

The barefaced intolerance of Kri passed across her worried eyes; the clement voice and accepting gaze of the black and white General Midas, who had already once saved her life once. Was she stupid... bold in fact, enough to tread that dangerous ground again? Yes, because Africa was a silly child with a selfless attitude; desperate to facilitate the deepest desires of her family- and Sinuhe was her sister. A giddy flutter stirred in her stomach, and she giggled with uncomfortable trepidation, lacking entirely the wickedly streaked confidence that obviously coursed through the white mare’s veins.

Art by Nevada
Table by Ghost

Dragon's Throat Mare
Roo

A plan had already grew in my mind. We, both me and Africa, had different abilities that would make my little plan work perfectly. I had speed. I was built, breed, designed to run fast and long over different terrain. I had already shown my speed over sand, soil and rock in the past and here in Helovia. Although I may not have been to the Basin myself I knew it had staggering mountains so the ground was going to be hard and easy to travel over without slipping. Plus, with my horn, I had the ability to get in.

Africa however could not sneak in like I could, she was to obvious, but she could fly over. In the day, there might of been a shadow, however, at night there was no sun to create a shadow of a mare flying over head and then swooping down to give you one hell of a scare. I studied her body. She was bigger and more of a bulky breed then me, as I had established. The bigger, the better right when trying to give a fright?

“What sort of trick?” I could tell that she wasn't all together won over by my idea but I was sure that, if and when we did it, she would feel the thrill of the trick. Her eyes glinted with worry but I nudged her with my muzzle, smiling kindly but mischievously at her, trying to reassure her. "Just one to give one of them a little fright." I pause, remembering that they would happily rip out her feathers. "Don't worry, they won't touch you. You will be perfectly safe in the sky and with me on the ground."

We would leave as soon as then, if we take it quiet easy, we should arrive there at night. We would cover our scent with that of the snow, so that we mixed a bit more, then I would go under cover and she would head of into the skies and we would meet by the first cave on the left, with her in the cover of night in the sky. No one would suspect a thing. Then, the prey would be picked, distracted, then scared from above, maybe a little kick to the head to spice things up a bit, if she agreed of course. I give her a brief introduction to my plan. "It is just something to give them a fright. We will arrive there at night, I will distract one of them and when they are engaged in conversation you will swoop down and scare them, maybe throw you hoofs about a little but you don't have to catch them if you don't want to of course."

SINUHE
IMAGE CREDITS

Deceased

Africa was not altogether following the plan, which apparently seemed so cunning and clear cut in the mind of its grinning creator. A flimsy smile graced her lips, both curious and concerned. The cold night air seemed to close tightly around Africa’s trembling frame, and a yawn erupted from the confines of her chattering jaw. Sinuhue’s muzzle slipped forward through the darkness, wraithlike, and the dapple grey wondered if this was all some illusion, or dream should she be still fast asleep. "Just one to give one of them a little fright." Immediately, she thought of the black and white gypsy stallion, the terror he had so gladly inflicted; but also the sorrow she had felt on his behalf as Midas beat him into surrender. So sensitive was she that Africa had fled mid-fight, returning home under the self-written oath that she would fix those broken and battered. She had not the strength of character to fight.

"Don't worry, they won't touch you. You will be perfectly safe in the sky and with me on the ground." The other mare added quickly, after pausing for only a second. She could not help the swell of insecurity as the plan began to be revealed, one morsel at a time. She favoured the last idea though, the promise that she would not be touched, and would remain free from harm’s way. Africa had never openly sought trouble, and while she was relatively open minded and her ability to trust was beyond sensible, the young inexperienced horse’s mind was teeming with caution; warning her; willing her to stay in the sanctuary of the Throat.

"It is just something to give them a fright. We will arrive there at night, I will distract one of them and when they are engaged in conversation you will swoop down and scare them, maybe throw you hoofs about a little but you don't have to catch them if you don't want to of course." Even at the hand of her simplistic, unquestioning mind, Africa skimmed in quiet hesitation over flaws that might ruin Sinuhe’s theory. Her pale eyes darted between the other horse’s manipulative gaze, it beckoned her beyond reason. The concept of a Pegasus as large as Africa was, just swooping was obviously not something the ghostly mare had witnessed before- gale would be stirred by the powerful beat of her enormous wingspan. Even she doubted her ability to just swing in unnoticed...

A profound, beaten sigh spilt from her lips. It was dramatic, much like the conflict shredding her character. “Alright...” She surrendered warily, choosing the path which worked against each and every string of her personality- she would go with Sinuhe though, because she had faith in the Throat; in her kin. And she could hardly allow the horned horse to venture off into the wilderness alone... on foot. This adventure would surely take days of travel to fulfil.

Art by Nevada
Table by Ghost