the Rift

[OPEN] The void stares back

Hiedrun Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

She had wandered away from the land of mists, and she really didn't know why. Perhaps because she had wanderer's blood in her veins. Perhaps because she was uncomfortable in a place as eerie as the Edge. A part of Hiedrun was thankful for the security that such a place afforded, but she was listless. Her dark figure roamed far from the mists and across the land, meeting barely any others; it was a lifestyle she had grown accustomed to. It might have been one she was reluctant to let go of. In her wandering she found herself in a forest. It was thick with all manner of life, so crowded that she wondered if the land was perhaps burdened by it. Hiedrun had never been in a place so ripe with vegetation. The mare's curiosity won over her trepidation and she headed deeper - in to the heart of the grove, where she found a great lake. The water was murky with all the green, the liquid itself becoming a putrid shade of emerald that made her nervous once again. It was not natural for her to be nervous all the time; normally, Hiedrun was a boisterous and aggressive sort of girl. Eager. Hungry to devour the world and all it encompassed. Yet, ever since entering Helovia, she had felt... Out of place. Out of sorts. Opposite, and it was hard to pinpoint why. As she peered in to the water she saw her dark reflection, swallowed up by the shadows of the trees. Her amber eyes glowed in contrast to the darkness, appearing as the only recognizable shapes in the gloom. She blinked, and bowed her head to touch her nose to the lake's surface, nudging the still waters so that the image of herself was obscured.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

It was. Eh. Green. Full of green. And of green things. I had, for the first time, gone outside of the Thistle Meadow I'd spent so much time in, and headed for this grove of trees because it looked nice — from the outside. This wasn't like my forest at home. I'd hoped I'd maybe feel more comfortable among trees, but no, ugh; there was too much vegetation here. It crowded together and the trees laced their branches to a crown blocking out the sunlight, and all was dark and shadow-y and.. green. With a groan I rubbed my head against a nearby tree, feeling the coarse bark work against my cheek. I missed the spacious pines, the soft moss and golden glow of sunlight coming down through the needles...

Here it's just dark and blah and GREEN. Gods. I'm getting so tired of that shade, even though the cooling nights are turning everything more yellow. I grimace at the forest. Let it think what it will of me, because I don't like it, and to top it all off...
.. where the hell did I come from?

I mutter a curse under my breath. Great. Now I'm stuck here too, with no way to go but forward! I'll end up somewhere eventually, won't I? Maybe even home? So off I go again! Long legs carry me through the thick undergrowth, shadows deepening, my white tail getting tangled and full of twigs and other stuff I'd have to pick out later. Look how far I've fallen — I have to do it. Not only do I have to do it myself, but I am aware of the fact that I have to do it, and in the back of my head, even make plans for it.

Life sucks and I feel like despairing. Maybe I should drown myself in this lake I've stumbled upon, just to make it all end. Perhaps my soul would find its way back home then? And just as I think that, the other side of the coin comes to hit me in the head: what if I am dead and this is the land of the dead? Morosely I stare out across the murky waters, completely oblivious of the fact that I stood less than twenty yards from another horse.

Mauja the Frostheart</style>
            Bleeding</style>

image by slalit @ flickr.com
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Hiedrun Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

As her reflection reconstituted itself, there was something new. She found it almost instantly within the murky green of the water - her eyes were there, as they had been before, but there was a silhouette. At first the mare could not make out the shape. It was recognizably equine yet there was something foreign about it; an extra line that was still blurred by the water's motion. She studied this carefully as the liquid calmed itself, only to realize that the distant shape was some kind of horn. A horse with a horn? Hiedrun snuffed an incredulous gasp while lifting her head and turning it in the direction of the pale horse. Her ears were forward, listening to the sound of his steps, while her brown eyes drank in his figure. An older man than she, and with a hide of nearly pristine snow; he looked like a piece of the mountainside from where she grew up, with pieces of frozen earth protruding in tiny places. The green of the forest gave him an odd and unnatural sheen, painting him in a sickly light that made her all the more nervous. Yet the woman's pig-headedness won out; she would not let her fears dominate her today. She advanced towards him in the company of shadows and then, as he turned his own attention to the water she had previously been observing, she reached out and lightly touched her nose to his flank. "Are you lost?" she questioned lightly, as the extended greeting was retracted. The man did not appear pleased to be in the company of so many trees, and Hiedrun could relate on some degree.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

[ I'd really love for the real Mauja to meat Hiedrun some day too! ^^ ]

The lessons my father had taught me, about warriors and bravery, slowly come back to me as I stare at the lake and wonder what it feels like to drown. Would it be swift? Painless? Yet I feel like a coward for hoping it does, thinking of the scars I had seen and the stories I had heard, the pain those brave soldiers had endured.. bravery was not my forte, however. If I did not find a way back home soon I would go mad, and if I went mad, I'd rather it all end, swiftly. So would it be so bad to drown?

Yes, I decide. First off, I'm preeetty sure no one would admire me for throwing myself in a lake instead of finding the god damn way back. Surely it was somewhere, something I was missing.. (unless I'd died in my sleep that fateful day). And the more time I spent wishing I was dead? That was time I wasted, when I could find the way, but I'm not used to doing things all alone, least of all difficult things like finding a way back when I hadn't even walked to get here. It was just such a daunting task and it hung over me like a leaden weight, and HOLY SHIT SOMEONE IS TOUCHING ME!

I jump, startled, my perhaps a little too fat frame taking off at least half a foot into the air and landing a little to the side of whatever it was. My first instinct is to run but I do no more than flex my muscles before I recognize the outline of a horse.

A black horse.
Hidden in the goddamn gloom.

"Are you lost?" she asks and I cannot stop myself from laughing bitterly; with adrenaline still in my system it comes out high-pitched and nervous. "Yes!" I say, with an edge of hysteria, before drawing a deep breath and trying to disentangle my head from the mess of vines I'd thrown it up into. I'm looking like a real fool now, aren't I? Jerking my head from side to side I rip the vegetation apart, but a little of it settles on my face, around my horn, and I grimace in distaste. I'd have a real hard time getting this off, and peer sideways at her, hoping she's not about to run off screaming just because I'm a bit skittish. I lower my horn towards her, oblivious to the threat it might be. "Care to help me get this off?" I ask, my voice steadier now that the initial surprise of her appearance had worn off. Gods, I really needed to learn to keep an eye on things now that I had no one else to do it for me. The next horse to sneak up on me might have the intent of doing more than just touching me.

Mauja the Frostheart</style>
            Bleeding</style>

image by slalit @ flickr.com
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here