the Rift

Ignorance [Open]

Aure Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

My hooves beat upon the ground as I cantered along the path to the lake. My mane ruffled slightly in the wind and I was feeling particularly aware of my surroundings. I stopped at the glassy surface of the water and dipped my head to drink, my reflection still slightly startling. I had gotten used to my coat color, but the white vine marking on my nose was still foreign and the bright green of my eyes surprising. The familiarity would come in time, but for now I had to be patient…and I hated being patient. I wanted to know myself the way that everyone else did, but I knew that it was not a possibility.

Still, in this strange land I had only met Tares, who was nearly as shy as me, only not in a rambling and embarrassing way. I had no idea when I was supposed to stop talking and let someone else converse with me. Tares was simply shy and quiet, with a sense of fear that I did not yet understand, while I was simply awkward. I needed that to change, but I was not sure that I could actually talk to someone else. I was a mare frightened by her own reflection, who does not remember her own life, and has the potential to scare others away by being to uncomfortably forward.

I snorted. I was so ignorant of everyone else’s feelings. Poor Aure, doesn’t remember herself, everyone should love me! Others had their own problems, and I did not really want all the coddling, did I? Maybe it was time to think about getting to know others before they knew my story. It was time for the ignorance to stop.

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Velvet ebony ears flicked back with thoughts of inner misgivings, a tempered ‘sigh’ whelped past the studs defenses. Each step felt burdened by invisible chains, bottomless pits turned toward a gathering of tropical timbers. It was turning into another blissfully dry, hot afternoon. Oh, happy days! The only benefit to living in such a deserted place was the fun of breathing was taken out of the game. Flat tongue rolled mindlessly between clinched jaws, the first ideal that came to mind when describing how such rolls felt from within—was sand. It felt like someone had taken a bucket of gritty granules and poured it down his throat. He could almost feel his saliva evaporate. Gotta love living in the throat.

Sharpened hooves clashed with dusty soil, he set an easy pace with body looping toward a wet goal. Trees meant water; water meant his mood would slightly alter to something of a more pleasant nature. Heat waves swam ahead, golden orbs watched for a moment before drifting back toward earth. Honestly, it made him dizzy to watch a sea of sand bounce up and down. Ivory primaries stuck out like a lovely sore thumb against his multi-hued coat, each layer of coverts folded over until both wings were tucked firmly against a warm hid.

After a few minutes of steady trotting the distance between beast and said grove, shortened; a rewarding shadow stretched out with hungry fingers ready to accept all who entered. The sweet essence of his desire took flight and slipped into flared nostril’s, he named the fragrance with a slight moan threatening to escape, “Water.” Eager to obtain a cool drink he plunged down a familiar trail with the same easy steps. Truth be told he could probably walk the distance while sleeping, each twist brought fresh memories; some good, some—not so good. He tried to keep the box of not so good at a fair distance.

Fragrances got stronger; the one he sought grew immensely with each passing moment. Another scent lingered with passing hints, a female. He recognized the sweetened taste as one of the herd and thought nothing further of its nature. Forest opened; moisture hungry timber fell away and what lay ahead was a sight to behold. A pristine lake bountiful in three things: aqua life, water and drinking buddies. Such a large gathering of liquid was certain to attract all sort of company, he felt slightly lucky that this certain, ‘buddy,’ was a mild tempered mare. Eyes followed the smooth curves of her body before landing politely in another direction, “Good day to you,” even with the recognition of features he couldn’t quite place a name for the girl, limbs tensed and pulled the lad up short at water’s edge. Soft mud accepted given weight with notable reluctance, thus body sunk half an inch while he proceeded to quench stricken thirst. When physical needs where met he turned to regard her politely, “I don’t believe we have had the pleasure of conversing before,” softened tones lavished out to pull her attention toward innocent ponderings,“Please, call me Midas.”

Word count: 539

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Unregistered

I lifted my head from the surface of the glistening lake at the new stallion who had approached. His pure white swan wings were large, even though they were currently retracted to his sides. An unusual glint came from the snowy wings, and I recognized it as gold. The same glint shone off of his hooves and eyes, which were unusually pupil-less, with what looked like tears of gold streaking down his face, but still friendly. I hesitantly smiled at this handsome stallion. He seemed friendly enough, but still first stallion I had interacted with. He stood strong but there was a fatherly look in his eyes, despite seeming so close to my own age. “Greetings, Midas. I am Aure, and I am new to the Dragon’s Throat herd. It is very nice to meet you.” I dipped my head in acknowledgment to Midas and took another long drink from the lake, to quench the ever-present thirst to which I was getting accustomed.

“I’m afraid I know not much about you, or really anyone else here, forgive me. How long have you been in the Throat? The only one I have met has been Tares, do you know her? She is a soldier and I owe her my life, due to killing a snake that was about to kill me. She invited me into the herd and I was appointed a soldier as well. I’m also afraid I do not know much about the position of soldier either. I have much to learn.” I quickly stopped myself from going into further detail about my memory problem, as I did not want others to judge me regarding my condition. Midas would find out my condition when he asked a question to which it pertained. Recently the only things I had discovered about my life were that I had a younger brother named Bayard, and I never knew my father. My family was a mystery to me, and when I thought too much about them, it hurt to know that I would never meet them. I shook my head clear and remembered that Tares had told me to move on, and my quality of life would improve. I snorted, wondering if I’d ever be able to, and looked back at the golden stallion, prepared to make a new friend.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

“Greetings, Midas. I am Aure, and I am new to the Dragon’s Throat herd. It is very nice to meet you.”

A soft smile twisted each corner of his ebony face at an upward angle. Aure, such a pretty little name—he stored the information away for later use. Retracting from muddy bank until he was planted upon firmer ground the stud stepped back with attention and body posed to regard her fully. Bottomless tawny pits twisted along female features in memorizing detail before grazing the shortened midnight black wings that framed her sides. Returning toward emerald colored tones a smile remained even as he traced out her weaving mark to find ending point.

“I’m afraid I know not much about you, or really anyone else here, forgive me. How long have you been in the Throat? The only one I have met has been Tares, do you know her? She is a soldier and I owe her my life, due to killing a snake that was about to kill me. She invited me into the herd and I was appointed a soldier as well. I’m also afraid I do not know much about the position of soldier either. I have much to learn.”

Her lengthy sentence held his attention fully; velvet pecks held themselves erect to catch every sweet syllable. Bannered tail flicked away an invisible fly and sides heaved with voice readying to spring forth, “It’s a pleasure to meet you Aure,” head tilted downward with a quick jerk before steadying, “I was born in this barren landscape,” forelock fell forward as he leaned toward her with nostrils hinting on flare. He considered her next bit of information—no, he hadn’t heard of a mare by the name she gave. But since he spent a good deal of his idle time alone, it really didn’t surprise him that there was a female that didn’t ring his mental bells, “Nay,” he murmured softly, “I haven’t met your friend,” orbs softened and held a firm stance, “But it is pleasant news that she was useful to you.”

Remembering that she had also mentioned something about not knowing their duties as said, ‘soldiers,’ jaws fell apart with masculine tenors rising to give short explanation of their purpose in the herd, “We are used to guard boarders during times of peace,” skull turned shapely muzzle toward a distant clearing that couldn’t be seen from their pointed position, “and assure that dangerous beasts remain outside our land.” Façade fell into a grimlike expression as he added softly, “During times of battle and war, we are the front line.” He glanced over her feisty frame once more, pondering to himself if the lass was battle worthy—of course there was little room for boasting when the heart of battle had yet to be seen by his eyes.

In attempt at turning conversation from unpleasant topics he smiled, cranium turned round and offered her a returning question, “Have you found your stay in the throat pleasant?”

Word count: 386

Unregistered

I smiled at the stallion, excited to find out he is a soldier. I shifted slightly uncomfortably as his eyes roamed over my figure, taking in my appearance. I was not used to anyone but Tares gazing upon my physique. Then he asked an interesting question. How had found my stay in the Throat? Hot and bright was my first idea, the second being wonderful. Only, had I met enough members of the herd to be sure? I sighed. “The only herd members I have had the pleasure of meeting are Tares and you. Though, yes, my stay has been wonderful, though slightly lonely.” I pawed nervously at the ground, unsure of how to carry this conversation. I thought about Tares, who was really the only thing I knew in this new land, the only thing I knew due to restrictions of memory. I sighed internally, having no good conversation starters besides Tares and my condition.

I gritted my teeth and prepared to tell Midas about my memory, or lack thereof. “I sincerely apologize for the awkwardness of this conversation. I have a rare condition of amnesia, therefore there are some days I wake up and everything I used to know is erased from my memory. The later occurred a few days ago and I woke up here in the Throat, wondering how I arrived. Tares found me and promptly indebted me to her for saving my life. That is why I know no one else, and have no other things to tell you.”

I realized that my last sentence may have seemed like I wanted him to leave, but truly I did not. It was nice to converse with someone other than Tares, though I missed her terribly. I flicked back my ears, unsure of how to get him to stay, and said, “It is nice to meet a new face. If you could help me with continuing this interaction, I would be ever so pleased. It is rare for me to meet any others, and you are the second I have ever encountered. This is a wonderful experience.”

Ázzuen the Ardent Posts: 94
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8
Whit
It seemed the General was falling ever so slightly behind the recent flood of members gathering within the clutches of his very home. Each of them he had spied from afar, his duties on patrolling the borders keeping him high in the skies most of the time, he could tell when those who were new were already being greeted and welcomed, and would store away their general body types so that he could identify them at a later date. He hadn’t ventured often outside of his homeland recently, having encountered enough hazards on his adventures out of the lands, and with the influx of herd numbers, he felt it even more important to fortify the borders, and ensure all of their safety.

Of course, he also wanted to seek out new warriors. Their ranks were fairly sparse, at least compared to what he would have liked. Ideally, he would have felt most secure with patrols being sent out with a pair of keen eyes watching the borders, not just single steeds. He would have liked to have more spare warriors, who could manage the meeting and greeting of the ground patrol. As it was, they were coping with their slightly lesser numbers, and the recent surge in herdmates did give him something good to hum about while he floated about upon thermals that were plentiful in the heat.

He had heard that there were members already choosing the rank of protector of the lands, and this pleased him even more. That others could feel inspired to protect and defend their home made him very happy indeed. He spotted Midas, though he knew naught more about the steed than that he had lived in the Throat his entire life, and was a warrior, and also a newer mare. Curiously, he tilted his wings to redirect his flight towards them, his deep and throaty greeting bellowing out before him too. He arrived upon the ground near them just in time to catch the tail end of Midas’ speech about the soldier rank, and a smile upon his lips confirmed that what the steed said was entirely true.

“Greetings, Midas, and to you, newcomer. I am Azzuen, General here.” His rich tones brought forth the words easily, his voice kind and welcoming, but also strong and resilient at the same time. “My apologies for not finding the time sooner to greet those who now call the Throat their home, my duties keep me to the skies most of the time.” He nodded his crown to them both as he spoke the apology, sincere in his words. As he lifted his gaze again, there was a soft question behind his eyes, one that invited friendly conversations and welcomed any questions they might have of him. He was always looking for a fellow General too, and hoped that in the sea of newly emerging soldiers, or even ones that had been here longer, would be willing to step forth.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

A change was felt in the air, a pressure and moving beat. He recognized the pattern instantly and turned cranium toward intent of greeting it. An ebony warrior emerged, a general of higher ranking and privilege. Neck tensed and lowered skull in greeting, orbs angled toward earth as husky male tones shook the air between them

“Greetings, Midas, and to you, newcomer. I am Azzuen, General here.”

Azzuen, ah, he mused, “Your presence brings honor General.”

“My apologies for not finding the time sooner to greet those who now call the Throat their home, my duties keep me to the skies most of the time.”

Skull took moment to raise and provide attention toward his standing officer before directing thoughts toward the lady.

“The only herd members I have had the pleasure of meeting are Tares and you. Though, yes, my stay has been wonderful, though slightly lonely.”

Those that placed themselves in duties such as solders and such were given more of a solitude life if they weren’t careful. Had the desire and art of war not been birthed by the very pores of his body and hot blood that ran through, he might have chosen a more company relished existence. One that was sure to attract others more readily. Soft he added toward her first response, “You will meet others; perhaps more so through the herd gatherings,” a warm smile formed in remembrance, it was often the only time the group sought out its members and gathered as one entity.

“I sincerely apologize for the awkwardness of this conversation. I have a rare condition of amnesia, therefore there are some days I wake up and everything I used to know is erased from my memory. The later occurred a few days ago and I woke up here in the Throat, wondering how I arrived. Tares found me and promptly indebted me to her for saving my life. That is why I know no one else, and have no other things to tell you.”

Bent ears twitched, each curve flicked up toward her words; concern flooded a golden gaze in response though he remained quiet for a moment. Amnesia. A turn not so unfamiliar, though he had never experienced its definition. To lose sight of who one was. He could only image the grievance that was wrought because of such loss, “My deepest condolence ma ’lady,” muscles along his shoulders flexed ruffling the feathers that rested close behind, “But it thrills me to know your adventures have led to safety until what is lost returns to proper owner.”

“It is nice to meet a new face. If you could help me with continuing this interaction, I would be ever so pleased. It is rare for me to meet any others, and you are the second I have ever encountered. This is a wonderful experience.”

Features lightened at her thoughts of encouragement, “Words to lighten the heart,” a smile followed toward them both.

Word count: 493

Unregistered

I smiled at the newcomer, the general of Dragon’s Throat, and bowed my head in respect. My green eyes roamed over the black coats of the two stallions accompanying me near the lake, one tipped with gold, the other white. I was thrilled to meet new people, but I did miss my Tares, who was all I ever thought about. I dipped my head to Midas, in thanks for his condolences upon my condition and was grateful he wanted to continue speaking with me. I extended my wings from the clenched position at my sides and stress relieved instantly. I shook my black feathers feeling a slight breeze through my mane and coat due to the movement. I relished in it; under the unbearable hot sun, I would take what I could get.

“It is an honor to be in your presence, Azzuen, and a great pleasure to meet you. Oh! My apologies. Should I address you as General? I do not quite know how to yet address authority figures. You are technically the first I have met, due to my lack of memory.” My velvety ears flicked back nervously, afraid I had made a mistake, eager to correct it. My withers tensed with the awkwardness in being in contact with others besides Tares, and my wings itched to fly to her comforting, soft voice and warm flaming wings. I was not used to this kind of interaction, and I trembled ever so slightly, my wings screaming to fly. I planted my hooves in the earth, ready to stay and fight my way through this conversation as if it was a battle, like the soldier I was supposed to be. I could not keeping running to Tares for protection whenever I was frightened.

My legs locked and wings retracted again, I whinnied softly to the two stallions, indicating my pleasure at meeting them. They both seemed like accomplished soldiers and I was simply starting out. There was much for me to learn about being part of the Throat, especially in the fighting end of things. I figured they thought I was small, not a very impressive soldier, but I was swift in battle. I do not know how I knew this, but I was a fighter and my natural instinct was to defend myself and others. A sharp image of a large hoof attached to the end of a caramel-colored quarter horse leg as it rushed with violent intent towards a nose I recognized as my own flew into my mind. I shook my mane, disturbed by the image, remembering I should tell Tares about it when I saw her next.

Ázzuen the Ardent Posts: 94
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8
Whit
Obedient standing to attention, the twin towers atop his crown captured everything the mare spoke, of her memory loss, and of another mare, a soldier, Tares. The name rang a bell within him, he felt like he should have known this name – of course he should have, he was General. The herd was growing swiftly however, he had remained nothing more than a dark figure watching over the borders from the skies. But that was why he was mingling now, with his Soldiers, to convey that he wanted to know of these sorts of things, to be given the news of their days whenever they could give it to him.

Aure spoke of a condition afflicting her memory, which did give the stallion pause for momentary concern. What if the Throat trained her up as an apt fighter, and she forgot which side to fight against? But he was more than willing to give shot, and would do whatever he could to aid her in holding onto her memories. She seemed otherwise like a pleasant creature, polite, if a little skittish at times – but he supposed that was to be expected when one could not always recall to whom they were speaking to, or what realm they were standing upon. Midas spoke words similar to what he was feeling, words that were meant to reassure her that they would help her achieve what she might have previously thought unachievable. Azzuen nodded with approval.

A kind smile came upon his visage as she questioned what title to call him. He was proud of his title of General, but didn’t deem it necessary that everyone call him by such, especially those he considered friends. “General or Azzuen is fine, I will gladly respond to both.” He answered warmly, watching as nerves over the interaction shook the femme. He stepped towards her, footfalls soft, posture calm and comforting, not forcing the nearness but neither letting her step away. He could see that she had some developing to do, and he was helping her get there, in his own way.

“To help you remember us, we could try an exercise, if you would like.” A small, almost mischievous grin smirked its way across his maw. Without waiting for permission (which was a bad habit of his) he called upon his magic to stir the senses of the mare’s nostrils, to enhance and heighten her sense of smell. His eyes whirled a steady aqua as he did so, amusement lingering behind them. “Take a deep breath, through your nose – though I probably mostly smell like sweat and desert – clutch onto our scents, store them away. Put all your focus onto those scents, and know that they are the scents of your allies, your friends, your extended family.”

Little did the stallion know that she was in fact his niece-in-law, given her relationship with his yet-to-be-met niece, Tares. Such things would be revealed sooner or later, however. Once several breaths had passed, Azzuen summoned his magic to return to him, slightly annoyed at the effort it took to control his usually effortless gifts. “As for meeting the rest of the herd, I will be calling a gathering of the current soldiers in the near future, where we will discuss the matter of Patrols and training exercises to ensure we are all fighting fit.” Though Azzuen was a fit, energetic athlete, he knew not all trained as assiduously as he, and it was his job, of course, to ensure that they did.

“If there is anything you ever wish to tell me, I am always willing to listen.”
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

“It is an honor to be in your presence, Azzuen, and a great pleasure to meet you. Oh! My apologies. Should I address you as General? I do not quite know how to yet address authority figures. You are technically the first I have met, due to my lack of memory.”

Kindly, he listened to a blossoming conversation that no longer required outside input, but mere presence and an outwardly concerned/kind expression that seemed satisfactory for both. Their poor she-mare seemed utterly flustered and at wits end, a soft nickering noise vibrated husky vocal cords to lavish across her slight tremble with comforting intent. He dared not draw closer by act of limb motion, but instead tensed spine to swing cranium with closing distance.

“General or Azzuen is fine, I will gladly respond to both.”

Midas felt his wings tightened with an uncontrolled itch when his general moved to stand close at the end of a soft wording, heat from his bulk wafer toward the golden stud. Adding space he gave retraction, soft mud squished beneath glim hinted hooves. Politely he altered orbs toward shimmering while leaving ears at erect to hear what was to transpire.

“To help you remember us, we could try an exercise, if you would like.”

Interest sparked within pitless depths brimming up from landscaped pondering. He was without the fluttering of magic; pores held the standing of future ability. Azzuen however had a gift, though Midas had never found it appropriate to give inquiry over unspoken talents. Given only a moment and the ebony stallion would give explanation.

“Take a deep breath, through your nose – though I probably mostly smell like sweat and desert – clutch onto our scents, store them away. Put all your focus onto those scents, and know that they are the scents of your allies, your friends, your extended family.”

Midas sent a single side-glance toward Aure, had she found memories in the act of such power? Jaws lay part toward fashioning words but were forced at halt for more to be spoken from another, “As for meeting the rest of the herd, I will be calling a gathering of the current soldiers in the near future, where we will discuss the matter of Patrols and training exercises to ensure we are all fighting fit.” Mixed feelings formed with thoughts of seeing others without choice of approach. He hadn’t seen many folks after….. Thoughts turned toward memories. Unpleasant memories. Perhaps, just perhaps, he thought, it might be a blessing to forget as she had. Eyes darkened and jaws tightened closed.

“If there is anything you ever wish to tell me, I am always willing to listen.”

Unregistered

I was shaken by the image I had seen, but Azzuen’s suggestion to breathe in the two stallion’s scents was a wonderful idea. I would try anything to remember them; it would not do to be forgetting the Dragon’s Throat General and a fellow soldier. I nodded to Azzuen and closed my green orbs, steadying myself and pressing into the earth. I cleared my mind and tried simply to focus on the scents swirling around me. I snorted at how many there seemed to be: the moist stench of the earth, the sweet scent of lake water, the rough smell of the trees. Finally, I managed to pinpoint the scent of the general: dark, smelling of work and dedication, with the strength of the heat rolling off of him. I committed his smell to my fragments of memory and focused on finding Midas’ scent. The metallic fragrance of gold tinted the air and I could smell the slight mustiness of his feathers, as well as the sweet lake water he had drunk.

I opened my eyes, refreshed, and smiled at my two companions. They were wonderful company to happen upon, and having Azzuen there was a fantastic chance to meet my official. Azzuen mentioned that he would be running some training exercises and begin doling out patrols to welcome others who had not been in the land before, as well as keep our borders safe from harm. I nodded at the general’s great ideas, ready to get started at once. “I would be willing to participate in some training exercises. I am out of practice, as of late, and do not honestly remember anything I have learned in the past. Perhaps when I train again, my muscle memory with help me become a fast learner?” I was definitely eager to learn from Azzuen or really any other soldier, so I was capable of protecting my home, which would soon house my family.