the Rift

I Doubt I'll Ever Be Free

Skeleton Key Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Lightning crackles off to the distance, a bolt of light screaming across the trees in white fury. He snorts, wondering how in the world that he ended up in a storm when he entered this place. It seemed indifferent like himself, where the land's soul itself fed off the indifference of its inhabitants. A pair of horns, red and curved like a ram's, begin in front of his black ears and wrap over the top of them, tips coming out at the base of his ears. Three bold white stripes begin at his withers on each side, and extend to the end of his shoulder blades, following his ribs. His body is black except for a small white spot on his chest. The build of the stallion is one different from most, a fragile yet elegant Arabian build with muscles like a draft underneath. A curtain of thick black wavy mane falls over his neck and face. His tail matches, only weighed down from the water within its mass. The weather seems to have a harsh welcome to him as a cold nip takes to the droplets falling from the gray masses above. He shakes in the chill, the excess amount of mane and tail keeping certain parts of him warm. The rest must face the elements alone.
Though the rain holds no mercy, he keeps pace at a walk. Blood moves through him a bit faster this way, and he finds this a simple way to keep warmer. Thunder rumbles overhead before another bolt of white light flies through the earth and sky. His red eyes stare upwards as it booms across the sky. Everything became a dead void the moment he entered this place. Certainly other souls commonly stopped in to take others away, yet he had yet to become lucky enough to stumble upon another. Loneliness would never take much effect to him, though it would be nice to have some type of company.
And suddenly the world seems to laugh at his misfortune. Rains fall harder, and he feels a light sting as the cold takes to it. Shivering, he takes to the nearest large tree that could allow him some release from the weather. He finds in it only in an Oak tree about ten strides ahead, and forces it upon himself to move there as fast as he came. Mud cakes onto his legs, and underneath his coven hooves he can feel shift under his weight. Reaching safety under the tree's branches, he can know take the time to see what had happened to himself. Mud covered his legs and lower body, having touched the ends of his tail. Both his mane and tail seemed to weight at least ten pounds as water put its weight to it. A sigh parts his lips, one of defeat. Not even a few hours here, and he is defeated. And by what?! The weather..... What an insult to such a proud stallion like himself.

OOC: This is uncommonly short for me so please excuse that. My next posts will longer as my muse warms up.

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie
[Image: 4hz8ty.jpg]
Credits; Carnival-ride-Stock.deviantart.com SweetDreams-Stock.deviantart.com Photomanipulator; AlexLibby.deviantart.com

Arah

'The rain. Oh how freaking wonderful.' Arah black mood surged through her as she trotted through the mud. Her hair was filthy, swishing through the muck on the ground. Snorting in annoyance she began to make her way back to The Basin, the home that she had been helping to protect for weeks, no months now. Golden eyes swept the ground, and the area she was always alert for danger. Ready to take on anyone who challenged her. She knew that in question, some laughed at, thinking she needed protection. However she was more than capable of looking after herself.

Now however her eyes settled upon a stallion taking shelter from the rain like she wanted to. She narrowed her eyes in a calculating look. Was he a unicorn? Well he had horns, that counted for something. She herself had been born with a traditional unicorn horn, but her grandmothers magic had changed that. However she had seen horns like his on other Basin members. If they counted as unicorns then surely he would as well.

The dainty mare took a moment to approach the stag, assessing the situation. The gently her vocals, as soft as silk tumbled from her lips. "It's horrid weather, isn't it?" She stopped a few meters away from him. Watching him as the rain poured down her back. A slight tilt to her head eyes curious and facial expression open, friendly. Maybe her trip to the Threshold wasn't for nothing. Maybe she would be able to bring a new member back to her herd, he might even prove useful.

"Tell me, what brings to to Helovia?" A mostly innocent question. However she wanted to learn more about him before she brought him back to The Basin, only of course if her was interested.

Haunted by my eyes, the way they hold your attention even in the loudest silences.

And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Unregistered
He'd only been letting his eyes drift to a close when the female voice came through. The owner of the voice spoke of the weather, and as he turned to look, he found himself greeted by a curious, yet beautiful sight. A mare with a cream coloured body, with horns made into antlers. He gave her a reassuring smile, and then as he noticed her standing about in the rain, knew better to let her just stay there and freeze. Giving himself one good look over, as this was the first soul that had come upon him and it seemed good only to make a nice first impression in every way, he expected himself to look good before he replied to her.
"I'll say its quite annoying as it is. Hopefully it'll pass soon. Yet, would you like to come over and join me? It pains me to see a lady like yourself stand in the cold rain."
Taking a few steps over, more towards the other edge of the canopy created by the branches of the Oak tree, he gave her another smile as he made room for his company. Suddenly he wondered if he seemed to be too nice to this mare, and wondered how she would react towards his personality. She spoke again to him, this time her question might actually bring out some conversation between the pair.
What she had asked him only made him wonder for a moment, thinking himself over. He was probably strange looking to her, looking like an Arabian except with the mane and tail of a Friesian. The thought of his mother and sisters came across his mind, yet he found an answer to her question fairly well. As he went to open his mouth to answer her question, lightning struck across the landscape again and the rain let itself fall down harder. Suddenly the thought of him not opening his mouth again came across his mind, yet passed it off. Being rude to this pretty little thing seemed horrible in his mind.
"Well, I guess I'm here for the fact I needed to leave my family. They weren't too much of a group that you'd enjoy, really just out to kill each other except for the ones who stuck to each other like glue. They were too much for me to put up after some time."
It was a good enough thing to tell her. She was just a stranger, and he didn't even know her name. Just telling her the real reason he was here seemed out of question. "Oh yeah, I'm Skeleton Key, though if you wish, you can call me Skeleton. And you are?" This time he attempted to look less friendly, and somewhat mellow towards her.
Thunder came across the forest, a sigh escaping his lips as it did. In an attempt to keep his mane out of the mud and becoming a disgusting mess, he spoke his head, only rescuing a small section from the mud. His red eyes went to the mare's mane and tail, seeing it's long locks being pulled about in the muck. Apparently here everyone shared the same issues. Everything was pointless in this weather, and if he found himself lucky enough to escape the storm, he might not have to face the idea of being under a tree with this mare he'd just met. Tales of things his sisters had spoken about came to mind, yet were quickly brushed off. His sisters. What a mess they had been when he was around them.
It wasn't how he hated them, it was only that they held two very different personalities, and when they attempted to raise him after the incident with their mother, their personalities were set ablaze. The oldest was training to be a healer, and had the more calm state, but when you knew her well, she seemed to only have her mind set to dark thoughts. It would later feed off into him, and cause the spells that plagued him. The fear of one coming right now seemed to bother him. One mishap and things might be over.
Yet what pleased him over his other older sister, the one in the middle, was the fact that she was falling off the block of stupidity and had a good nack for being hyper. She was the one he began to dispise over time, for who could be happy all the time. The stray thought of seeing her dead came into his mind for a moment, his dark humor working in. With quiet notice, he threw it out of his mind and looked to the mare near by. If he'd laughed over the thought, it seemed for sure she might ask why he'd laughed. Then he'd have to make up a reason, and if it wasn't good enough, it might of looked like he was laughing at her. Suddenly he dispised himself. Well, his mind seemed to have a nice first impression in this place planned out for him.

Sinuhe Posts: 38
Dragon's Throat Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1 :: 3
Roo

It was certainly a bad day for recruiting although I suppose the weather did have its upside. There would be lost souls out her in the rain, desperate for a place to stay and call home as quickly as they could find one. I hurried though the forest. Cracks of lighting splinter the air till my ears were folded slick back to my neck, shiny from the rain. I was cold, horribly cold, and I couldn't wait to get back to the Throat, to the warmth, but first I would do my job for the herd.

Though everything smelt of damp and that musty smell you get when it rains heavily, two strong scents drift past. One unfamiliar, the other one I knew well. I snort, my neck creasing slightly from the power behind it. It was the smell of the little white mare with the horns of a stag, which didn't make sense considering only the male has horns like she did. I start to trot towards where I guessed they were as, within minutes the sound of voices could be heard, nearly blocked out by the sound of the rain which was thundering down.

I trot into view of them both, my ears now flicked forward, and slow down to a walk, then a halt, making a trio. I don't bother to throw more then a quick glance over to the grey mare, the horned stallion in front was more important today. The stallion was horned which curled backwards then struck forwards again. His dark coat was wet and shiny like mine, like all of ours, but his white markings stuck out from his body. I wait till he had finished speaking before talking myself. "Oh yeah, I'm Skeleton Key, though if you wish, you can call me Skeleton. And you are?" It was a pretty strange name but names didn't bother me. He seemed like a nice guy so I was pretty sure he would be good for the Throat.

I smile kindly at him, flicking my dripping forelock out my eyes with a pretty toss of my head. "Greetings Skeleton Key. I am Sinuhe of the Dragons Throat." There was a pound of thunder that echoed though the forest, sending a shiver down my spine but I continue talking. "I think I just about caught your story as to why you were here. There is nothing nice about being surrendered by killers, especially racist ones." I say with a shake of my head, glancing over at the Basin mare. On a lighter note I add. "I am willing to tell you anything about this land you want to know, just fire away your questions."

"blah blah blah."

Sinuhe by Ella mansell on Grooveshark

Credits; Carnival-ride-Stock.deviantart.com SweetDreams-Stock.deviantart.com Photomanipulator; AlexLibby.deviantart.com

Arah

With good grace she accepted his offer and moved to stand next to him under the canopy of trees. Well, hopefully her hair wouldn't frizz up when then rain was finally finished soaking her. Next to him, in the drier area of the forest, Arah smiled her thanks. "Appreciated greatly." She was sincere and her tones were soft. "Please call me Arah." She heard a new sound though, after her finished answering her questions. Well, well, well. If it wasn't the troublesome mare Sinuhe. A smile played over her lips as Arah watched the mare approach them. This was the very mare who had come to cause trouble in The Basin. It sounded like Skeleton had been through a lot and just needed a break. Arah could offer that. As for this mare...she seemed to cause more trouble than what she was worth.

What was it with everyone assuming that Arah was racist? Yes, she came from The Basin and most of her heard mates were but everyone was actually pretty decent and Arah was fair from racist. Sure, for a while, she had an issue with equines, but after what happened to her anyone would. But she had worked out her issues and was slowly getting over her problems. She didn't hate them anymore, but she certainly didn't trust any equines. However it was time to focus on the issue at hand.

"I too am willing to answer your questions about this land." She looked over the stag, then glanced to Sinuhe. "Not invading other herds today Sinuhe?" Arah chuckled in a light hearted manner. No hard feelings here...mostly. Looking back over to the stag, her eyes assessed him quickly and then she gently continued speaking before anyone else could cut in. "I'm a member from Aurora Basin. We only have unicorns in The Basin, I should warn you now, some of members...leaders are racist." She tilted her head to the side slightly and felt a coy expression on her face. "But you will find that we are very protective of our members and everyone contributes to the herd." She herself was a ranking member of The Basin. "You'll be very comfortable there, even if you do not wish to have a rank." Her eyes settled on his ram horns. "No need to be worried about your horns." Antlers...god she hated them at times however by now she was used to the jabs about them belonging on male deer. She couldn't change it now though. "my grandmother has a..witty sense of humour." Tilting her head she made it obvious that she was speaking about her antlers.

Haunted by my eyes, the way they hold your attention even in the loudest silences.

Unregistered

His eyes remain to the mare as he attempted to remove away the last of his dark thoughts. As she walked over and joined him, he gave her a slight smile to reassure her. Having taken steps over to make room for her, he was closer to the wet and cold area of the rain. Respect needed to be given to a lady like herself other than to make himself look like a selfish monster. "You're welcome. It is unsettling to see a lady like yourself stand in the cold while I stand in a somewhat dry place." It pleased him to have company again, and as she spoke her name, he nodded, simply having no words to say. A name like her own was unique and beautiful, like herself. The rain held no mercy and thunder came forth before he caught the next voice.
The other mare had only came out of nowhere, and her words seemed to already have annoyied him. So apparently not everyone was kind like Arah beside him. Yet, as the new mare named Sinuhe spoke of his family being murderers and racist, he felt a pot of anger rise upwards inside of him. She barely knew him, and came along to came judgement of his own family?! Instead of Arah and his family being racist, he had the idea that Sinuhe was more racist. Arah showed no sign of it, and therefore he went to no conclusions.
"Well, it seems as if you, Miss Sinuhe, are the racist and rude one here. You know nothing as of my family, therefore you shouldn't move to conclusions before saying something. I might as well say something of the same sort towards your own. Yet as for the lady Arah being racist, there is no evidence that she is as far as she has shown me, as I will not go to conclusions without seeing it first."
It came to him that the pair had offered to answer his questions, and none had come to him yet. Well, maybe there was one.... 'Is there any place to stay other than this rain drenched forest?' Altogether it seemed like a rude question to ask before he got the chance to know either of them, yet if he was going to take sides with anymore, it had to be Arah. Out of the two, she had the nicer deposition.
Suddenly it came to him, to know about where the pale horned mare came from. A place where there was only unicorns, and where some were racist. Hearing the leaders were didn't truly bother him that much, only if they took it to extremes where they were around and about killing any that weren't their own species. Maybe at that point he'd lose interest in them, and take elsewhere. His red eyes glance to Sinuhe, looking over her body. She had something within the looks department, seeing as her coat was different like his own. His markings and horns had always been a question that came along. Coven hooves never seemed to be the issue. Apparently they were something you see at least once in a lifetime, or maybe more if you knew the right people.
His attention is caught completely as Arah speaks about horns. He lets his eyes go to her horns, seeing their different look compared to Sinuhe. Hearing her speak about her grandmother's sense of humour made him chuckle a bit, and then suddenly took it back as he reminded himself that it was probably rude.
"Excuse me, I didn't mean to seem rude. Its nothing bad to them. Personally, they add to your own unique beauty and make you yourself. My half sister and half brother both had common unicorn horns. My sister took the idea of using it as a way of impaling others in the chest with her horn after some brilliant idea and got herself in war maybe too much. So take note it is better to have them the way they are."
He remembered Sinuhe, how she was left out in the rain as it fell in cold aura. It was rude for the pair to stand under the tree's canopy and leave her out. Sighing, he came forth to the offer for her to join them. If Arah and Sinuhe found some type of dislike for each other, hopefully they'd put it aside. "Sinuhe, would you care to join us?"
Quickly he moved over a bit more, backwards towards the trunk of the tree, hoping Arah would follow. The canopy extended outwards a good five to six feet, the tree being farly large. If they'd allow each to move about, there would be enough room for the trio to enjoy this shelter. Yet as the question pondered about in his head, it came to him to go ahead and ask it, regardless of what may happen as an outcome.
"Excuse me ladies, but is there any place I may stay for some time to escape the elements and find comfortable company?"
"talk talk talk"

OOC: Hey guys, excuse me if I'm slow replying. My dad and I are in the process of moving, therefore limited computer time!

AND I'M NOT THE MONSTER YOU MADE ME OUT TO BE

Sinuhe Posts: 38
Dragon's Throat Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1 :: 3
Roo

Why did everyone around here get me wrong? I know that sometimes things sounded wrong when they came from my mouth without thought but I didn't mean them in a horrible way. I had never (well sometimes) said something to hurt someone purposely and I would never link it back to family, it was just to low. Coming to think about it though, his family sounded very much like those who killed my father which was, well, rather coincidental. I wasn't accusing him though of having a family who killed mine, it was just a possibility.

"I am sorry, you got me wrong, I didn't mean to offend you in anyway. Also, I was not directly calling Arah racist, I just know of some who live there." I offer him a small, apologetic smile. I also shot Arah a small smile, I didn't totally hate her I just didn't see how she could live with a lode of racist when she wasn't. It made me sick and it was exactly the same reason I had been put of from going there.

The rain kept beating down on my back, it was soon glimmering in the rain and it was when it seemed to be beating down the hardest that I was remembered and invited under the shelter of the leaves. Despite how much I wanted to go under and be warm (well warmer) anyway. I shake my head though. Although at this moment I was slightly annoyed at being instantly hated by him every instinct of being a Princess to give her people the best battled with the warm thoughts, even though these were not in my kingdom. Plus, I didn't want to be squashed up against anothers wet pelt, it just wasn't appealing. "No thank you." I say simply.

"Excuse me ladies, but is there any place I may stay for some time to escape the elements and find comfortable company?" I nod my head then continue with speech. He wasn't the only wanting to escape the elements at the moment. "There are four herd lands. The Basin, which Arah has explained about. The Windtossed Foothills which I believe has been recently took over by an outcast band. The Worlds Edge which I don't know much about except there is, well, an edge. And there is also the Dragons Throat, where I live. It is a beautiful desert with a large lake and a great leader. Then there is also other lands which range from frozen caves to a thistle meadow." It was all I could offer, it was up to him, personally I did not mind.

"blah blah blah."

[Lol, when I saw this I didn't see the Basin tag xD Sorry!]

Sinuhe by Ella mansell on Grooveshark

Arah

Arah was silent now listening to the harsh words Skeleton spoke to Sinuhe. She wasn't quite sure what the mares problem with her was, but Arah wouldn't let it bother her. "It's true." She spoke quietly to Sinuhe, confirming what Skeleton had said. "I am not racist, far from it actually." A shrug to show that she was casual about the current conversation. She was used to people jumping to the conclusion that she was racist. It did tick her off a little, but hey, that was life. They listened to Sinuhe's explanation of the herds. "The Grey run The Foothills, we, being The Basin, are currently in an alliance with them." That was all she could really elaborate on.

The final decision was up to Skeleton though. She would not force him to join her, or even make a choice right now. If he wanted to travel around Helovia and see this world before joining a herd she would also be fine with that. In fact she would even point him in some interesting directions. "The choice is up to you Skeleton." A crack of thunder sent a shiver down Arah's back. She really hated freaking storms. They spooked her, not to mention the state her hair would be in when dry weather came.

She watched the sky for a moment, waiting on an answer from her new friend. "It doesn't rain so much in Tea Basin." She joked, then glanced towards him and laughed. "But it does snow." She was ready to head home now. She was sick of the rain and she was starting to feel home sick.

Unregistered

Somehow, he has gotten himself off to the wrong start. He is only able to give them smiles as they admit neither of them at racist. Yes, here you go. A horrible bad start. Thoughts pass through his head as they speak of the other lands, and then the word of snow passes through the conversation. Snow?! The word itself could bring a smile to his face, reminding himself home. It stayed so cold there, where blizzards raged about and kept people no one wanted around away. Hey, his family were known murderers who had started a war for pleasure. Not that he was around at that time. Even though if he was there at the time, he'd have taken more interest in sitting back and watching his blood thirsty uncle rampage about. Nothing more to worry about here. Just a rogue, screwed-up, blood thirsty family of horses who like to go about start wars and murder like Vikings. Just your every day family of mountain dwelling Vikings.
Thunder moves him back to the modern world, and he can only feel bad as Sinuhe denies his offer. "Excuse me if I offended you, Sinuhe." As the smile comes to him, he returns it. He has a choice to make here. Either leave with Arah to the Basin, where it might be close to his old home, or try out the Throat Sinuhe speaks so highly about. Every second he thinks of home, as of how cold it was there and how somehow, that is more refreshing than the freezing cold rain he faces under a tree with two very different, yet similar, ladies. Ladies wasn't a word to describe either of them, yet he best not find himself in the worst situation.
"Well, excuse me Sinuhe, but the Basin sounds so welcoming. My old home was in the snow-capped mountains where I was less like to be bothered by annoying creatures. Neither of you are annoying, quite the opposite actually. It would just be more comforting to be in the Basin. So, Arah, would you mind if I went to the Basin with you?"
His voice is so calm and welcoming. This could be a new good thing for him, for a place close to home. The moment he got there he'd have to be quiet about his family. If any of the members other than Arah heard, they might get a bad impression about him. Before leaving he hadn't completely ran off like a thief in the night. No, that makes you so suspicious, and in his nut job of a family it'd soon be 'Oh, has anyone seen Skeleton? He was around last night but then disappeared without warning. Must of been a spy for the enemy. GO FIND HIM, WE HAVE TO KILL HIM NOW.' The thought brushed through his mind, and he only chuckled at the thought of his eldest sister screaming that.
Having made his decision now, and plainly spoken it, he takes more note of the weather. Hopefully it'd end soon, and he'd been free to snow. And oh how wonderful that seemed at the moment.
"talk talk talk"

OOC: CRAPASTIC POST HERE. XD

AND I'M NOT THE MONSTER YOU MADE ME OUT TO BE

I'll make a thread for us in The Basin, it'll be your joining thread and tag Psyche in it so she can accept you into the herd.
I'll write it some time tonight. <3

EDIT
http://helovia.net/showthread.php?tid=7727