Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

A week had passed; maybe more, but Africa certainly wasn’t counting. Most of that time had been fussing like a relentless blow-fly over her newly adopted friend and ‘brother’ Ahi. To her young, spinning mind it felt like a lifetime ago that they had flown through the night to find solace and security in the warm embrace of the Throat. Cirrus had come to them, and Africa had fallen head over heels for the enchantment which was the blue-eyed mare’s ability to heal. For now though, such a career was only a simmering ambition in her enthusiastic heart- and her priorities, no matter how swayed by her internal desire, lay with her promise to nurse the stocky gelding back to his former self.

Fondness for the little (only she compared him to her lean, elegant carriage) brindled horse had quickly swelled through her open-heart, and she had pandered to his needs devotedly, insisting that he not exert himself in any manner. It never crossed her mind that Ahi might actually need some level of fitness to succeed in his much discussed future as a soldier. “You will be so great!” She told him regularly, fascinating over stories he shared and recalling her once-off combat memory to fill in the blank fragments illustrating his experiences her imagination.

Quickly she trotted across the frosted carpet of short grass- dawn was breaking, and Africa had left her sleeping patient to gather a selection of the oasis’s exotic blooms to decorate the somewhat boring limestone overhang, under which she had put him to rest. It was still within the luxury of their evergreen sanctuary, but towards the western fringe where traffic was minimal. It could have been said that she was sheltering him, much like her father had sheltered her in the first three years of her life before she escaped to Helovia.

Ahi, Ahi- how blue ish the shky!” She chanted merrily through clenched teeth as she, neared his ‘home’. The flowers, whose stems had been carelessly crushed by the clumsy mare, drooped miserably to bounce along with the upbeat swing of their captor’s stride. “Today ish the day, you can again fly!” Africa giggled, slowing to a cautious walk as she lowered her face to peer beneath the (not at all low) jut of rock. “Ahi?” She called softly to him, fluttering her nostrils to snort in warm greeting. “Are you awake yet?” She slipped into the worn dusty nest to deposit each bright flower around the otherwise filthy, austere floor.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Ahi Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

A h i

There I was... standing in a great green clearing. A stream was running its marathon, traversing down to a pool of water who's location remained a mystery. I flexed my wings and brushed by all the white flowers that some saw as 'weeds'. I found them pretty. So did my sweetheart who had gone missing...

I sighed and began moving again, silently and stealthily. I passed through a thicket, my tough and battered frame tearing through the brush with ease. Then I passed through a weak treeline that provided home to a great amount of trees. Another clearing was upon me, in the front. My ears perked up and my expression changed drastically. I smiled and stepped foot but realized that there was another being there. He had brought her some flowers and it was apparent she knew him.

I stepped forward and out of the clearing with a deep rumbling in my chest that sounded more of thunder. Anger was boiling in my blood. My eyes were fixed on this other male. I wanted to hurt him to the point of no return. I wanted to cripple him and bend this bastard's back to the point it snapped and he was dead. I wanted to see him cowering at my feet, only for my large hooves to stomp him. My ears were pinned and my mouth frowned almost with a terrible bare of my teeth.

The image disappeared. It was black again and I realized where I was. In a cavern... Little lighting except for a crack right in front of me... I charge the crack and begin digging. I realize my wings have been terribly hurt as when I move them the limited air provides no resistance. I continue to dig, standing up on my hind legs. I pry at the wall with my hooves and tear at the dirt that holds me. Finally, one more stroke and it bursts open, dirt crumbling on me.

I emerge and realize my wings have been clipped. I look up and see my beloved, my anger turning my blood red hot. The animus I had toward this being, was overwhelming. I charge but hear my name. Ahi, Ahi- how blue ish the sky? What? The voice is familiar but I cannot recognize it! I stop charging, just in time to see my old dearest blown away by a great white light-
---

I wake up and my neck comes up as well, in an extremely rapid motion. I'm breathing hard and my sapphire eyes run to every object they meet as soon as they flash open. I realize my ears are pinned and they come up instantly. I raise my wing and look at it. I needed reassurance that they weren't in a... bad state. I slow the breathing and realize it was Africa. I blink twice, then roll my body over into an upward, awkward sitting position and look at her with a smile.

How long had it been now? A week? Are you awake yet? I smile at her with my ears perked up. She had flowers in her mouth and I chuckled softly. That would explain why the voice was muffled. "To answer your questions, I suppose the sky ish as blue as a flower?" It was corny... I knew it. My social skills weren't exactly the best. Especially when talking to my newly adopted 'sister'. I was getting used to it.

"And yes, I'm definitely awake. You had me up at 'time to fly'." I chuckle again, then bring my whole body up with a large heave. A shiver runs through my body and I shake my neck and head which sends my mane everywhere. With a swish of my tail, the two feathers follow suit and land neatly along with the rest of my tail.

I watch her drop the flowers in the basic make-shift 'house' then speak "So does this mean test run, dear sister?"

image credits
table by whit

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased

Look down
Look up

She knew instantly that his sleep had been tarnished by nightmares- his breathing was laboured when it should have been slow, calm and rested, and sweat darkened the shadowed curve of his flank; his wing was lifted as he seemed to scrutinize it anxiously. Her gentle, pale eyes filled with concern as she moved quickly to nuzzle comfortingly about his black-tipped ears. During many of the nights she had slumbered at the door of his home, Africa had been startled to life by the gelding’s terrorized sleep-moaning. Always she had staggered to his twitching side; and when she had not been able to nurse him in sleep, the devoted young grey had waited by him until his nerves had settled enough for him to rest again in some reduced manner of peace.

Ahi heaved himself forward to watch her distribute the thoughtful floral gifts, and flattered by his appreciation, Africa smiled observably as she pottered. He chuckled and although the sound of his recovering breath was hushed, it was amplified a little in the relatively spacious den. "To answer your questions, I suppose the sky ish as blue as a flower?" She laughed aloud, her face flushing hot with mild embarrassment. The kindly mare didn’t mind overly though, and light-heartedly shrugged the awkwardness of his answer away. Unpretentious anyway, she too was growing somewhat accustomed to his lack of social fitness.

"And yes, I'm definitely awake. You had me up at 'time to fly'." The gelding heaved forward then, to stand across his spread legs and Africa turned with vigilant attendance to assure his stability, posture, comfort- anything and everything. Although tall, the cavern was somewhat narrow. It easily accommodated their two bodies though, and a little personal space for each. Africa where she stood against the back wall was able to reach out and remove an old shriveled flower from his tossing mane. Dropping it casually, she returned to the few remaining in the fresh bunch at her feet, and busily finished their arrangement around the floor (and one through a tiny, light flooded fissure in the rock). All the while her mood was cheerful.

"So does this mean test run, dear sister?" As Ahi spoke again; standing there because her fussing really allowed him no other option, Africa made for the entrance and slipped out with the intention that he would follow. “Yes, I think so!” She affirmed encouragingly, noting that there had been lots of suns since Cirrus had left them- surely that many would be sufficient. Out in the open again, she stretched her hind legs out behind her, and her great feathered wingspan upwards; sympathetic perhaps to him being cramped for so long. “I thought we might find Midas, or someone from the army for you to talk to.” She was all too aware of his longing to serve, and added as such with a pleased grin- “I know how you have been looking forward to it...

Ahi Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

A h i

[[OOC: Apologies for the wait!!! Computer wouldn't let me post for some reason. :/]]

I smiled as she removed a wilted and withered flower from my locks. Thankfully, she didn't make a big deal of my waking nightmares. I had had a theory that she had indeed saw me moving about in my sleep, reliving those moments. I didn't make it known, however. I just let it be.

When she agreed that I could indeed fly, I had to contain my inner child self to keep from ushering her and my body out of the cavern and into the air. Even more so when she expressed the though of getting out and getting back into service. It was no chore, though, for several years of severe discipline had whipped such actions into shape.

"And you are correct. Let us not wait any longer then, I do suppose?" A smile crossed my face with eagerness; partly to get into the skies and partly to see a member of the Dragon's Throat army. I longed to get into action once more. Not even action, even. I would be comfortable with training! Spars, wit, etc. I longed for it and so did my body.

I followed Africa out of the cavern, welcoming the day as it hit my eyes. I then stretched my legs and wings to get the blood flowing through them again. I was surprised by the fact that they were still working properly. Having them inactive for that long, I (jokingly) thought they would've fall limp.

My larger than normal wings were soon stretched to their full wing span. Still on the ground, yet still stretching. I flapped them a few times, almost inspecting them to make sure I could still fly appropriately. It was more out of habit than anything. There was no doubt in my mind of Cirrus' healing abilities but there was a need for reassurance. I had always been one to double check.

"Why, I do not believe my wings have sought the air so much in my life. It is with this, that I do believe we should take advantage of this before all joking is to be put aside as a soldier?" I chuckle then tap her leg with my hoof. "I have no reason to doubt that you are now it, sistren." I smirk heartily once more then bound off into the air, using the resistance to pull me up rapidly. With this, I practice a maneuver I had not used in a very long while. I turn to the right, then swiftly pull back to the left, only to enter a dive in which my wings are tucked neatly to my side. They are then thrust out and I am ascending into the air again, gliding as I go.

image credits
table by whit

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased

Look down
Look up

The enthusiasm simmering impatiently behind Ahi’s light-flooded eyes was more than contagious; Africa’s taught dappled coat flinched in anticipation, longing always for the comforting embrace of her beloved sky. She turned; lean muscular canvas stretched and ready for flight, delighting in her friend’s contentment to be out of hospitalisation. As the gelding reached his unfurling mass of feathers upward, the young mare allowed her own wings to hang lazily open to catch the light morning breeze.

"Why, I do not believe my wings have sought the air so much in my life. It is with this, that I do believe we should take advantage of this before all joking is to be put aside as a soldier?" A sweet, jovial laugh followed and her gentle eyes caressed his affectionately in the moments after he had spoken. “I think so too...” She smiled affectionately as the gentle brush of his hoof met her thin, black shin... "I have no reason to doubt that you are now it, sistren." He teased in his awkward, authentic way, before bounding playfully away from her and spreading his enormous wingspan to lift into the air. Then turning a tight circle across clenched hocks and sidestepping with casual elegance, Africa followed suit, allowing herself the same space to mount the breeze.

Utilising the small updraft as her crutch, Africa circled between powerful wing-beats, manoeuvring herself to pursue Ahi’s direction. Her frame, though taller than his, was not so stocky and inflexible- her movements were fluid and lithe; her proportionate wingspan extending only half the length of his. The young creature was primed for flight, her bone structure somewhat thinner than the more primitive, earthbound species of horse.
Flapping industriously, she gathered momentum and neared his left hip- a mischievous grin curled across her clasped lips, and her eyes sparkled golden and tranquil as they caught the warm glow of the sun.
She dipped to the right suddenly, falling into the slip-stream behind the gelding and laughed aloud “How does it feel, Ahi!” She referred of course, to the grandeur of his liberty. Quickly, she snapped her teeth around a few of the trailing black tail hairs flicking about her face, pulling lightly so as not to rip them from him entirely. “Caught you...” She teased playfully and moved again, left from his rear, so that while still flanking him, neither of their wing thrusts would be hindered. Dutifully, and true to her word, Africa lowered her gaze to scan the burnt-red landscape below for any sign of the ranked army officials that she had met- not that it mattered either way.

[ooc: Anyone can jump in at this point]

Andromeda Posts: 91
Dragon's Throat Healer
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 5 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Lauren

It had been a late night among the cosmos and so when I woke with the bitter chill of autumn on my skin to voices crying softly, it was annoyance that launched me into this morning bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Frost had kissed me upon my brow and upon my lower leg, collecting delicately on my charcoal skin. Yet thanks to the thickness of my coat, I feel no cold, not in these brief moments before winter's enslaught finally materialized in all those long, painful months before the warmth of spring began. Even so, the grass was dry and brittle beneath my hooves, and overall the sensation of this early, dull gray morning was altogether rather unpleasant. Nevertheless, I was awake, and so it was about time to begin the fresh, monotonous morning rounds that I dutifully carried out with the sharp eyes of a hawk every morning for every day, even since before my promotion. I guess if I had to, I could easily pass off some of the patrols off. But to me, being a sergeant didn't just mean being ranked higher; every opinion was equal in our herd, and to me, I needed to set a good example for those who were, in the most roughest of terms, "below" me.

I was more experienced than any foal may be in the throat, and so I was well capable of taking off from the red sand I so detested without needing a boost of some sort. If at all possible, I preferred a great leap off a cliff, for the additional visual drama- and in case you did not recognize it, that was sarcasm, the last bit about drama, because the first part about cliff-jumping was true in all aspects. It was less strain on the wing muscles and less impact on our fragile legs as we pounded the ground trying to leap up high enough for a downstroke of our wings. Our wings, at their length, are rather larger than a bird- another example of sarcasm, please note- and require a good deal of flapping to get our rather unwieldy bodies off the ground, even taking in the consideration of the magic the gods have bestowed in us.

Anyways, I find myself rather rambling about the true point, that is which I get off the ground in some way or another, and begin my flight, the air warm and baked under my wings. Plenty of thermals to be found today; and soon I am coasting at ease, high above the little piece of red below, reveling in these precious moments before others flock to the sky. I do wonder what pegasi are called in groups, quite an odd thought to be thinking- if unicorns are blessings, and equines are herds, what, persay, would we be? Flocks sounds about right when we are up in the air- but on the ground? It sounds quite wrong. Soon enough my eye catch sight of two others gliding, early risers, and I drop down many feet and bank gently away from them, allowing them a great amount of room for wingspan and such.

"Morning," I call over the decidedly ignorant wind that tries to snare my words and drag them away.

ANDROMEDA</style>
In blood and honor, we will prevail.</style>

image by gpabill @ flickr.com
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Andromeda excluding dismemberment and death.