Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

The rest of the morning seemed to blur as Africa sailed through its latter hours, aloft and elated, pursuing with undying eagerness the invisible trail leading to home. Her skilled watchful eyes scoured the blend of patchwork landscapes below as they trickled in motion beneath her swift and progressive passage.
Occasionally and without concern, the dapple grey would shift a sidewards glance on the down-beat to smile warmly, should Manami’s movement be level and her attention looking Africa’s way. Spread across the advantage of wings, the distance between the Threshold and Dragon’s Throat was manageable and on a clear day, could stretch the good part of a few hours- Helovia was a vast and formidable country and not one to be underestimated, the raw young horse had learned quickly throughout her short time there.

She wasted little energy, guiding her new herd-sister expertly through the powerfully swirling wind currents, where frigid ocean gales collided with the mild and subdued breezes of the inland air. Periodically, Africa would find the friction to be quite unstable where crossing was unavoidable and her feathers would ripple against the barraging cycles of air, a shimmering array of sun-stroked grey tones and black.
Below, she noted their advancement to be about half way- the rolling sea of shining golden Meadow grass transforming gradually into the naked, rusty hued soils of Helovia’s Heart, a place where Africa still dared not venture. As they flew above the smouldering centre of the countryside, she could easily spot the flames licking hungrily upwards, and subconsciously altered their direction to navigate a little further west. She was not enamoured by the notion of swimming through the thick pluming cloud of choking smoke, where it climbed higher still, than the bob of her beating wings.

The final leg of the journey was straightforward enough. Any white puffs of cloud that had scattered across Africa’s path had long been left behind, and now all that spread before them was the jagged red horizon below the wide blue band of sky; brutal sandstone cliffs and precipices, which tightly fenced the Throat’s luscious, thriving heartland. Far in the distance, those rocky crags fell away into the unforgiving thrash of the ocean, and the spray as the lashing waves crashed, tinged the mild breeze with salt as it rose to greet Africa’s fluttering nostrils. The comforting warmth of the desert’s daylight hours embraced them, a contrast to the chilled Orangemoon air which now hung perpetually throughout the bulk of Helovia.

Africa dipped her wings as the sudden emergence of emerald and sapphire through the heat haze unfurled ahead and down a way, almost smothered by the rich hue of the domineering red sand dunes; it was the oasis.

The downward slide was easy, the air relaxed and comfortably penetrable, and Africa’s hooves sliced securely into the thick carpet of sweet green grass as she landed. The oasis was lit by the chorus of exotic, flamboyant birdlife- most entertaining if, like Africa, time was set aside to observe. Naturally, the young grey passed a sweeping glance around the open parcel of land, though she found none to meet their arrival; Busy, busy... she smiled assuredly to herself. Around them, the oasis was bedded frequently with a fantastic wash of mid-season annuals, burnt with strange mixes of oranges and reds, violet and magenta, white and indigo; exotic indeed, and a wonderful treat for botanists such as Africa. Messy clusters of cane palm and wild junipers grew randomly though often, and an abundance of desert bull grass burst in strawy clumps throughout the blanket of grass. The young horse smiled, always overwhelmed by the beauty of their sanctuary, given the harsh, unforgiving climate outside.

Turning quietly Africa instinctively sought Manami’s first impression- she always hoped secretly that her guests would be spellbound by such an amazing place, or that they would be pleased at least. “Welcome home, sister.” She chortled with satisfaction, increasingly keen to show Manami around the indulging comforts of the Throat.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Manami Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Manami

After spending even the few short minutes on earth, Manami was elated to return to the sky and her overall mood improved several notches as her great black wings stroked the air in long, luxurious sweeps. The chill air of the high altitudes brushed back her forelock so that she could see for miles around her with an uninterrupted view. Perhaps Helovia wasn't as bad as its first impression was. From time to time Africa would turn her head and direct a warm smile towards her and finding her humour improved in flight Nami returned it with a little more warmth than she normally held for new strangers made friends.

Following the gray and black toned mare the ebony fae allowed herself to look down at the landscape so as to further familiarize herself with what was to be her new home. For quite some time there was nothing but trees similar to those in the threshold and she soon tired of them, but her attention was recaptured by the sight of a meadow full of patches of what looked like small purple flowers. Restraining the urge to fold her wings into a dive and rocket down to start cooing over the plants Nami fixed her warm brown eyes on the horizon while her body quivered with the want to go and snuggle with the thistles in much the same manner as one might snuggle with a puppy.

It was a battle hard won when the meadow died down into a dark molten red of what looked to be the birthplace of Helovia and Manami followed Africa's lead when the mare angled west to avoid a towering pillar of smoke that spiraled up from the flames below. And then there was sand. Lots and lots of sand. Figuring correctly that they had reached the edges of the desert that was Dragon's Throat the femme peered curiously down at her new home. Her first impression was of the almost complete lack of moisture which made her almost inexpressibly happy as that meant that it hardly ever, if at all, rained. She hated rain with a firey passion but concern fell on her face as she thought of the many plants that she wished to grow. Would they survive in such an inhospitable place as this? Worry, the first true expression that she had shown since meeting Africa, climbed onto her face as she bit down on her lip. How ironic it was that this occasionally cold mare could be completely undone by the coming woe's of a bunch of plants.

This worry was instantly put aside as Manami came to the heart of the Throat. Vibrant colors assailed her eyes as they clustered around the sapphire blue water of the oasis. As soon as Nami's charcoal hooves touched the ground she zeroed in on a mid sized plant with dusty purple flowers. Closing her eyes she stuck her muzzle near the bell like blossoms and inhaled deeply of their delicate scent. Nickering softly she brushed her nares across them and would have proceed examining every single plant within her reach if not for the congenial tones of Africa. “Welcome home, sister.” Smiling with happiness that dropped all of her previous politeness. "Thank you Africa. Although I had my doubts I do believe that I will be quite happy here." Casting her gaze wistfully towards the florets she ripped her eyes willfully away. She would have plenty of time to study them later, right now would be better spent getting better acquainted not only with the landscape, but also her new herd-sister. "Perhaps you would be so kind as to give me the grand tour? I would love to see more of the Throat." Twitching her feathery tail Manami waited patiently for Africa's response.

[ooc: Sorry for the wait! Here she is and I think she's going to love the Throat and possibly start drooling over cacti... xD]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased

Look down
Look up

With lasting interest, patient and growing as the seconds passed, Africa watched with unspoken delight as Manami fussed tenderly over a hedgy bush, teeming with splendid purple blooms. The mare’s black coat glistened beneath the flimsy gold sheen as she inhaled deeply the fresh sweet taste of pollen, disturbed into lazy flight by the brush of enthusiastic, adoring muzzle- in the same moment she also replied, "thank you Africa. Although I had my doubts I do believe that I will be quite happy here." Africa’s ears leaned against the graciousness of her guest’s tone, and a flutter of warmth tickled through the pulse of her young heart.

Africa’s keen pale eyes watched curiously the longing in Manami’s own, as she stole a second and seemingly conclusive glance, at the decorated bush. Then their gaze met and the dapple grey mare grinned affectionately. "Perhaps you would be so kind as to give me the grand tour? I would love to see more of the Throat.” The other horse suggested, with a patient flick of her thick dark copper tinged tail, and for the first time Africa noticed, shamelessly tilting her face a little to see better, that it was interlaced with small charcoal feathers- similar to those tucked intimately beneath the pit of her own wing.

Of course!” Africa chimed perhaps a little overzealously. Truly, there was nothing she could imagine enjoying more than showing Manami through the diverse, unique culture of their Throat. “I would be more than happy to try to answer any questions too.” She did not say that her expertise was significantly limited; the somewhat childlike mare never gave it a seconds thought- her attitude was charitable and presumably that would be all that mattered. “We should start at the beginning, I think.

Turning with languid grace across her hocks, Africa paused so that Manami might choose to walk by her side, rather than trailing behind and perhaps missing any details that the grey Pegasus thought to explore and explain. Naturally, she imagined the first point of any guided tour should be the front door- or half-assembled (if that) wall flanking the borderline of their home, to be correct. It would not seem like a long walk if their pace was brisk.

Africa’s unscathed hooves cut through the yielding sand with ease and after much practice walking through the slippery hot substrate, her balance was maintained effortlessly- even if her wings were ever so slightly ajar to support. They had covered the shifting surface of perhaps two large dunes outside the oasis, and by that time the dappled mare was rather relieved she had come to land relatively close by the northern border when they had just previously arrived. The wall loomed aglow before them, basking in the concentrated heat of the midday desert sun, and shed only a small shadow close beside its rubble bed.

The Throat’s Forgers are building this wall to reinforce our boundary... ” She began quietly, with an unflatteringly grim undernote. She was utilising the information issued to her by Sohalia only a few weeks or so ago. “There is darkness and hate leaking from the north-most regions, and Kri, our lead Sultana has warned that our kin need to travel together in pairs at the very least.” Africa felt it to be her duty to caution Manami, especially when that racist bitterness had already directly threatened the young grey personally. The subject seemed easier while they were covering the matter of walls and protection anyway. “Anyhow, our army is fearsome I hear.” she added quickly, (thinking admiringly of Midas fighting atop that range, and blushing subtly as she did so) with a much lighter tone, “Let us move along!

Africa turned again after a lengthy pause spent allowing Manami to soak up the tour so far and ask any questions. It was time to leave the abandoned mass of enchanted blocks. “I will show you the lake now.

Unregistered

Manami

When Manami returned her full attention back to Africa she blushed slightly when she realized that the gray mare had been watching her the entire time and had seen her caressing the plants. Oh well, the other members of the Throat would just have to learn about her fondness for growing things and she would just have to endure their stares. “Of course!” Manami was startled slightly by Africa's exuberant words that caused her polite face to fall back into place when a moment ago she had been smiling without reserve. “I would be more than happy to try to answer any questions too. Nodding in response Nami allowed herself a small smile, "Thank you, I'd be much obliged."

“We should start at the beginning, I think.” A hidden smile curled Nami's lips, where else would they start? Moving to walk next to the gray mare Nami quickly figured out what was going to be the worst part of her new home... sand. Having no previous experience with the fluid crystals the coppery mare found herself grappling with the dunes while trying to semi-successfully hide her difficulty from Africa. She was a very proud mare and she hated to reveal her weaknesses in front of others, but she wasn't so proud as to not take a few hints from how Africa handled the sand. Viewing her out of the corner of her eye, she imitated how the dove gray femme kept her wings slightly ajar and found her balance much improved afterwards, though it would take some practice.

After two torturous hills of the thrice damned sand Manami stood in front of the beginning of what she had to admit was a pretty good start of a wall. Maybe these native equines could learn the advanced architecture of her old home. “The Throat’s Forgers are building this wall to reinforce our boundary... ” That was nothing new, everyone was always trying to keep everyone else out. “There is darkness and hate leaking from the north-most regions, and Kri, our lead Sultana has warned that our kin need to travel together in pairs at the very least.” As Africa spoke Nami kept one ear flicked towards her while she examined the wall.

Made of solid metal it shone in the midday sun and hurt her eyes to look at it for too long. Returning her brown optics to the much less blinding mare and cocked a hoof, desperately wishing for a breeze or something to cool her off. Being a black horse in a desert was going to be an absolute blast, almost as fun as the sand that was now getting into her feathers and causing a delightfully annoying itching sensation. “Anyhow, our army is fearsome I hear.” The sudden brightness of tone and blush that spread across the fae's face was enough to tell Manami that there was probably a certain someone who was part of that army whom Africa particularly admired. “Let us move along!” The sudden need to change subjects confirmed Nami's suspicions and she smiled knowingly although she groaned inwardly at the thought of traveling along more of sand.

Africa's next words cheered her up considerably. “I will show you the lake now.” Re-energized for the moment Nami moved to walk briskly next to the gray mare and allowed her tones to tumble into the dry desert air. "That would be wonderful, perhaps we could take a break there? I'm afraid my coloring isn't exactly the best for this blasting heat." Shaking out her mane to let the sweat slicked neck underneath breath for a moment while she smiled ruefully.

[ooc: Been busy, sorry for the wait. :)]

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Perhaps it would have been wiser to allow her new guest time to recover from the long flight, and freshen herself earlier by the lake. Africa was spontaneous however, and although her thoughts were ingenuous and her character fairly simple, the young creature was alive with optimistic enthusiasm. Only then, as she turned to return them to the oasis, did it dawn on her that the wall had perhaps not been the best place to begin the tour. “My apologies...” she muttered through a pensive breath, narrowing her pale cream eyes to study the lazy grooves in the red sand which had been the result of their coming. “I suppose it would have been easier visiting the lake before anywhere else.” Africa lifted her eyes to peer at Manami, and although mildly bothered by her (natural) lack of forward thinking, she shrugged the care from her sweat-caked shoulders with a frivolous final laugh.

She stepped into their fresh trail, absentmindedly deciding it would be easier to follow the already laid grooves. It hardly mattered; all of the hot desert substrate was slippery and awkward to traverse as there was rarely moisture enough to harden its surface.

Even before Africa had last apologised for the doubling over route of her tour, Manami had asked for a recess by the lake. Now, as they stumbled into the sliding incline of the first dune, she continued in her innocently sporadic manner, switching unthinkingly around their conversation in her head. “I suppose you would feel the heat...” She said vaguely, imagining that Tallsun in the desert would be most uncomfortable beneath a dark coat such as her company’s. Her light grey face turned quietly, cheerful in expression, but her eyes sought the streaking sweat lathering Manami’s hide to validate her unspoken pondering. A fluttering satisfied snort parted the clouding rusty dust, disturbed by the churn of her hooves.

There is plenty of shade in the oasis. She was surprised personally, that such a harsh environment could harbour vegetation and flowers, as luxurious as the natives she tended. Africa never thought for a second that cleaning fronds from shedding palms, and maintaining the beds of delicate annuals was anything other than ordinary. It was a love of plants and their fragrant blooms that stemmed far back into the earliest days of her protected childhood. These had been her company, imaginary friends even when her father had shunned social interaction with any other. She spoke of the lavishly decorated oasis devotedly, with even the fondness that filled her heart for her family.

Do you have any interests? Ambitions or the like?” Africa asked genuinely between focused breathing, her well strapped legs combating their chore dutifully. Her voice lulled then, waiting earnestly for the black mare’s response.

A sense of achievement flooded her being; relief through her trembling body. The grey was not particularly fit for such laborious trekking, though as with any task at hand, she had committed herself wholly and selflessly. Now- finally, she found the much anticipated stability of soil, still mixed with the warm sand but rooted together by a sweet to taste, emerald carpet. Appreciating the change, and bountiful supply she lowered her twitching lips to nibble in private salutation. Tiny white flowers danced ceremoniously at the stroke of her recovering breath; their humble existence might have been easily missed by the general passersby, but not Africa’s adoring, hyper vigilant eye.

There are not that many notable parts of our home, aside from the wall and the lake- the oasis. ” Africa knew nothing of the Diviner’s Flame, and so it was not mentioned. “ So we could even finish if you wished.” Lifting her face, though still chewing contentedly on the small morsel between her teeth, she continued past their landing point, down a gentle slope. The lake was at the bottom of the hill, pooled Africa liked to pretend, in the base of the exotic valley. She followed a very worn track, which had been etched by both the passing of many hooves and paws alike; and also by the rare desert storms, which in full fury caused their water source to break its banks and rise dramatically, turning the tracks into frothing, eroding channels.
Ducking between overgrown palms, spiny shrubs, and stepping carefully above adventurous succulent ground covers, Africa finally saw the rippling cobalt surface of the water, shimmering beautifully beneath the radiant glow of sunlight.

Here we are!” She sang out when the vegetation broke and cleared before the jagged step of sandstone embankment. “Watch your step.” She warned quickly after, because often she found that the bank could crumble beneath even her most cautiously placed steps. A cool shade enveloped them, cast by the hairy outspread arms of an old thriving willow tree, as Africa lead Manami to the water’s lapping edge. She dipped her nose then to drink.

Unregistered

Manami

Manami was extremely grateful when Africa turned around to bring her back to the oasis and eagerly started walking by her side. “My apologies...” Black harks flicked forward when the gray spoke, noting the tone of pensiveness in Africa's tones. “I suppose it would have been easier visiting the lake before anywhere else.” Ever polite and courteous, Manami shrugged and spoke in a mild voice, "It's quite alright my dear. I'm quite happy that you have shown me the wall, it is indeed quite impressive."

Falling into stride with Africa, Nami soon found out that trying to step in her footsteps did little to help with traction and soon gave up. When the dove femme muttered something about the heat and shade near the oasis Manami simply nodded, not having enough energy to do much else. Observing Africa with a quiet eye, Nami found herself admiring the younger mare's energy and enthusiasm to do well. The world could to well to have a few more gentle souls like her around even if she didn't seem to always think things through all the way.

“Do you have any interests? Ambitions or the like?” A sudden change came over Manami like someone had turned on the light switch. "Indeed I do. I have a great appreciation for flowers and in my old home I planted many gardens." The mare's chocolaty orbs were bright as she spoke, thinking about the vibrant plants that she had cultivated in Angbar. "I grew all of the favorites of course, roses, and lilacs and such however I will never find a more prefect flower, in my opinion at least, than lavender." Thinking of the dusky purple blooms made Manami sigh with wistfulness, how would she ever get them to bloom here? Returning her attention back to Africa, the coppery mare spoke once again, "How about you? Do you garden, or perhaps you have another interest?" Manami lapsed into silence to allow Africa to speak and listened intently.

At long last the ground solidified under their hooves and tenacious blades of grass started to appear until it was a rich carpet under them. When Africa dipped her head to nibble at the green Manami followed in suit, not remembering when she last had the chance to eat in peace. “There are not that many notable parts of our home, aside from the wall and the lake- the oasis. ” As she spoke, the breeze from her lips bent miniature white flowers back, and Manami's gaze was instantly drawn to them though she didn't immediately start cooing over them as Africa had began speaking again. “ So we could even finish if you wished.” Nodding to signal that she was good with that, Nami followed Africa to the edge of the lake and took her advise to walk carefully so as to not cause the edge to crumble.

Lowering her lips to the water, the ebony mare drank deep to get rid of the taste of sand in her mouth and replenish her parched tongue. When she was finished she shook out her wings and sent Africa a smile. "I do believe I'll go for a bit of a swim, care to join me? Trotting a little ways from the edge, she spread out her feathers to catch a small updraft so that she glided a foot above the lake until she finally slowed down enough the slip into the water with a contented sigh.

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Africa was placidly oblivious to the spark which seemed to light within her company- emotional and emotive herself maybe, but not over perceptive or in tune to the world around her. That was unless she was basking in the many enduring friendships she managed with abundant flora and flowers, and the like. These were entities themselves in whose company the naive young horse had spent many of the hours in her life. "Indeed I do. I have a great appreciation for flowers and in my old home I planted many gardens," Manami replied, and the answer was met with a delighted glance. Seldom had she come across another who shared similar passion for the much neglected existence of plants. Really, her devotion had been quite the shameless secret.

"I grew all of the favorites of course, roses, and lilacs and such however I will never find a more prefect flower, in my opinion at least, than lavender." The coppery mare continued at length, the sudden enthusiasm in her voice a plague more or less, as the impressionable grey listened voraciously. "How about you? Do you garden, or perhaps you have another interest?" Africa paused thoughtfully. “Oh, I adore plants and flowers, but I have experienced nothing as fancy and exotic as those you mentioned.” Africa could only recall the last, lavender, and presumed it to be wonderfully large and leafy, blooming purple in the warm season. Her knowledge of flowers was more condensed, limited to those she had recently discovered; the natives which thrived throughout Helovia, and those blooms of Nyorm, her childhood residence. “I have never had success gardening, actually.” Perhaps that was the greatest difference in their common interest- to Africa, gardening seemed so glorious and formal, but in her reality, the modest mare was nothing of the sort. “I talk to them; tidy and trim them when they become dishevelled. You know...

Even in the company of Manami, who by the second seemed more sophisticated than anyone Africa had ever encountered, she remained contented within her own skin. She spoke of her friends devotedly and respectfully, as though conversing with vegetation were nothing remotely out of the ordinary. “Do you think maybe one day I could help you grow your flowers here?” She referred to the Throat with a blink and a subtle toss of her cranium. Africa knew many whom she was certain would lend seeds and cuttings. After all her work in the past months, tending them, it would only be fair.

--

Africa lifted her face from the cool, sweet water as Manami shook the dust from their trek from her glossy feathers. "I do believe I'll go for a bit of a swim, care to join me?” The dapple grey smiled warmly, appreciating the offer, but shaking her head apologetically at the same point. “I am tempted, but I must check on a friend, I’m sorry.” She was confident that Manami would be comfortable- even more so after her soak in the lake. “I am so glad to have met you.” It was an honest remark, and Africa genuinely hoped that some form of friendship might have been foundered in the hours since their meeting in the Threshold. A humble silence fell across her as she waited for any follow up from her new herd-sister.

I will find you again soon!” She called in finishing, as the black mare lounged through the water not far from the shore. “Bye...” After a moment’s hesitation, Africa turned again to leave both refreshed from her drink, and invigorated by their chance meeting.

[ooc: Pretty sure Africa is about to become a Basin prisoner :-| Sorry to wind the thread up so suddenly.]