the Rift

[OPEN] Windancer [Dragon Hatching]

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier

It had been weeks ago that I acquired the jaded egg in the depths of Helovia's forests. The series of events that had unfolded upon the faerie's requests was something I had never expected when it came to a simple stroll through the land; I had stepped into the role of a babysitter to Sakura, not that I minded in the least, and I had faced what could have been a fearless enemy. However, much to my relief, the monstrously large spiders hadn't flung themselves into a rage and instead followed me home to the Edge, where they would remain during the cold months of Frostfall. I hoped that Mirage would not mind, for I wasn't sure what I would do if she wished them away.

Tirelessly I had watched over the egg, curling close to it on cool nights when the nip of the wind was just a little more bitter than usual. Sometimes I feared that the child beyond the shell would never break out, for I knew not it's welfare, but I wouldn't stop in my duties until I was certain. Only as often as I must did I allow the egg out of my side, albeit reluctantly; after all, I still had my duties to the herd to tend to, but I would always assure that the egg was tucked safely and warmly away before going off.

For some time I hadn't a clue what might lay within the egg. Birds were the only creature I knew of whose young were borne from eggs, but just days ago, I had learned that it wasn't anything like that at all. The Weyrleader's own mate, Vikram, had told me of the egg's dragon origin. It was difficult for me to imagine that a dragon lay beyond those thick, jade walls, the very type of creatures that many feared in Vallhea. Of course, we had never come in contact with one during my seven years there, and I doubt anyone had seen these creatures of myth and lore. It was only when I arrived in Helovia that my beliefs had been swayed, when I had first laid eyes on the white dragoness, Fajira.

Currently, I had situated myself near one of the many camp fires scattered across the misty lands. With my barrel pressed against the ground, I kept the egg against my chest with my mane draped over it. The wind was billowing and whistled through the trees as it went, bringing a chill upon those unused to such conditions. I hadn't a clue in my mind if the young dragon could withstand such a buffeting wind or not, but I wouldn't dare take the chance.

I knew not what it was, but there was a strange feeling upon these winds, one that almost seemed to demand my strict attention. For hours I lay there, idly wondering how others might view me for my stillness. I did not care what they thought of me, for I only cared of the welfare for the child pressed protectively against my chest. Where others might have grown tired of such a task, I knew the faeries had chosen me to protect it for a reason, and I would not let them down for their choice.

And then, it happened. The time I thought might never come finally came in the form of a scratching noise, which I quickly realized was coming from within the egg. Cocking my head to get a better view of it, I watched with both curiosity and amazement as something broke free from it's confinement. First, a small black claw, and then another, and another; clawing it's way out, fighting to break loose. I wished to help it in it's struggle, but I knew that I could not, and that this was the first mountain of life it must overcome.

Instead of legs coming from behind the claws like I had imagined, I was surprised to see wings instead. They helped to pick away at the shell, slowly and surely creating a hole for the child to make it's grand escape. Then came a nose, and then a head, and the finally, the rest of it. The dragoness was the most brilliant shade of green I had ever seen, with faint, ebony stripes marking her body. Small spines laid against the length of her body, starting from her head and all the way to her long, winding tail. Her snout held several horns, and at the base of her head, two long, thick horns protruded, like any dragon from the books of lore.

A smile pulled at my lips, for I simply could not hold it back. I was thankful that the youngster had lived through all of it's trials even before emerging from her protective home, and I couldn't be happier at knowing I had helped to grant her this second chance at life. Now, she needed only a name.

"... Suli," I spoke softly, daring not to startle the youngster in her first moments of life. Dropping my head lower to the dragoness, I breathe softly, tenderly pressing my muzzle into her side. It caused a growly chirp to emerge from the newly named youth, but only seconds later, she didn't seem to mind so much. Looking up to me with purple eyes, Suli seemed to inspect me just as I was inspecting her. She seemed to be thinking, "Are you really my dad? My mother?" No, I was not, but I was her protector, her bonded, and I always would be until the end of my days.

"Welcome to the World's Edge, young one."

"Talk."

Credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Sakura Posts: 41
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 16hh :: Two Years (at time of death) Buff: NOVICE
Emily

Sakura</style>

Weeks ago, I had back away from my challenge for the same green egg. I had however watched from a distance as the one who had followed me to the Deep Forest brought the little one home with him. My mood matched my eye color, as I was very jealous of the little creature that the WingLeader would soon have. mother had told me all about the dragons, and how my grandsire and granddam both had one... Daddy had one... I wanted one too... I wanted to show that I was just as strong and as skilled as those before me.

Little did Destrier know, I had still been watching over the egg from afar. Sure I was jealous he got it and not me, but he earned it and I didn't. I stayed close when he had to go out and carry out any WingLeader duties. I never got to close to the egg, and made sure I was always out of sight when he returned.

Today was no different, although I was able to hide the fact I wanted to be near the egg by relaxing near the same fire. There was just something about today.. Today was special... I sighed softly as the breeze simply toyed with my cream colored mane and tail. Sure enough when I turned my attention back to the egg... after all I was trying to be secretive... boy did I get a surprise! It was hatching!! With great delight I jumped to my hooves and started to move forward. But when I saw Destrier wasn't moving around I froze. I instead listened as he spoke a name... The little dragon's name. Suli I smiled softly, waiting a few more minutes before finally making my presence known. "She's beautiful."

"talk talk talk"
MY HEART IS EVER AT YOUR SERVICE.
credits: how-you-remind-me and phototori @ deviantart.com

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

Mirage the DragonHeart

We welcome another today.
Another? How many younglings are we to have within our borders, in such an odd season too..
Not a youngling. A hatchling.

Joyous chortles echoed from the maw of the little queen, who promptly took to the air, carving a path through the canopy where she would greet the newest of her kin to be born within the misty confines of her home. The little shadowmare that was her bonded watched with a smile upon her lips, before she looked to her daughters, who laid nearby.

"Come, we must not miss this." Was all she said, before she bowed her chin to her chest, and called upon the magic that would change her body. From the tattoo upon her neck brightness seemed to swallow her, consume her, fiery and violent in its method and just as painful, until there stood a golden dragon where the dark femme previously was. The daughters had seen this before, but it still caused looks of amazed delight to animate their golden irises as they beheld their mother, the dragonness, the Queen in so many more ways than simple rank.

"Follow my shadow," she instructed to them, leaping through a gap in the canopy above to follow in her bonded's wake. The dragonsisters promptly obeyed, keen to know what had caused such excitement in their mother, and in Akaith.

With a rustle of leaves and the flapping of wings, both queens landed nearby - one, small enough to sit amongst the treetops, her weight supported by a thick branch, the other, upon the ground, her kind eyes seeking out the dark form of her WingLead, spying near him the small, pale bodice of Sakura. A low song hummed from her throat, akin to a feline's purr, as Akaith added her own musical serenade to the atmosphere above her. The daughters were not far behind, each of them coming alongside their mother, each of them gaining a wing draped over their own winged, scaly shoulders.

Slowly, cautiously, they approached as a group, kindness softening their facades. Akaith flew a loop of greeting above them, diving to get a closer look at the green, the newest member to the family, the herd.

"Sakura speaks the truth; beauty defines her. A fitting name, Destrier." Mirage proffered kindly, nodding in greeting to him, smiling wider as her daughters each purred a draconic hum within their breasts at the sight of the little hatchling. Cousin, they were thinking, even as Akaith alighted upon Semira's back with enthusiasm.
image credits
table by whit

Luken Posts: 27
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.0 :: Three Years [Tallsun Born] HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Sparrow

He had been far too distant from his family for his liking.

Distant from Laila, from Destrier, from everyone. Luken had been a scarce sight from the Edge, uncertain if he was welcome. Of course he was welcome, because the Edge would always be his home, and he would forever be loyal to his family and Mirage, his Queen, and to Thor, his King. Something had blossomed within the yearling's pale breast one Tallsun evening, that had grown and grown like cancerous cells, filling the twin of light with self-doubt and uncertainty. He wondered, because he was not dark in color like Laila or Destrier, if others perceived him more like his mother, Tor.

Did his brethren in the Edge look upon him and scowl? Whispering crude words behind his back, speaking of his uncanny resemblance to the mare who had abandoned not only her family, but her herd as well? If they did, Luken never heard them, but it didn't stop the constant nagging of self-worth that buzzed around his head.

Destrier loved him. The Wingleader of the World's Edge was proud of him. Those words had fallen from dark lips themself, and Luken's very own ears had absorbed his father's deep vocals like a greedy sponge. If he could prove himself, he could simply become strong and worthy like Destrier, then surely everyone could look past his resemblance to his wayward mother, and see him.

Surely it could happen.

The draft mutt's steps were light as he strode through the trees, his brown, chocolatey eyes glancing through the trees. It was growing cold out, and the yearling missed the warmth that he felt whenever Laila was around. As they aged, the twins began spending time apart, but their physical distance would never deter the mental closeness that they shared. No, if anything, it strengthened the bond of twinhood that they both experienced.

Abruptly, a collection of equines caught his attention, and the pale colt's eyes caught the familiar forms of Destrier and Mirage. What was going on? Curiosity peaked, the yearling ventured forward, cream-kissed hooves stepping lightly through the foliage. Ears snapped forward at attention, neck stretching and muzzle moving outwards as he sniffed the air. His eyes flicked to Mirage, his Queen, and the two babes who traveled with her, and offered each of them a respectful dip of his head. One day, he would be risking his very life to protect them.

"Father?" He asked softly, calling to Destrier almost uncertainly. Nearly as soon as the question left his pink-hued lips, Luken spotted just what the commotion was about. The egg! Well... No longer was there an egg, but a dragon!

Luken had seen the egg since his father's return from the Deep Forest, albeit fleetingly, as the pale boy had been stolen away with his own contorted musings. He had seen, however, the way that Destrier protected the egg as he had protected Laila and himself; as a doting father would. He marveled and wonered at what it held inside, and now, he knew; a tiny, green dragoness.

Lips upturning in a brilliant smile, Luken looked from the newly hatched Suli to his father, stepping closer. "Father, she's amazing." He beamed, lowering his head towards the tiny, scaly green creature, nostrils flaring as he took in it's unfamiliar smell.

So, this would be Destrier's newfound companion, then? Like Akaith to Queen Mirage? Yes, surely that was it. The thought made Luken smile brighter, for hopefully that with Suli's arrival, the loneliness that surely quelled within Destrier would be soothed. While his father never spoke of it, Luken was certain that Destrier was missing Tor something fierce, but hopefully now, things would change for the better. The thought soothed some of Luken's previous transgressions as well.

LUKEN
One Day, I Shall Walk the Path of the Righteous

Vikram Posts: 73
World's Edge Skilled Protector
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 19 hh :: 9 years Buff: NOVICE
Kachie
Ever since learning of Destrier's unhatched green charge, the hybrid stud had made a point out of checking in on stallion and dragon's egg. Most visits had gone unnoticed, a brief but intentional passing by to ensure all was well.

So it was a pleasant but expected surprise when his ears caught the sound of dragonsong heralding a new life, a new member of the herd's flock of dragons. His ears tilted to listen, knowing Akaith and Mirage and thus their daughters would be soon there. A soft, satisfied rumble vibrated from his chest. He would join them momentarily, but first... the bronze took his job as protector perhaps more seriously and more extensively than his smaller, less draconically influenced counterparts. Because he considered himself a provider as well.

A few minute's worth of deliberate stalking flushed a number of small prey, until a timed lash of his tail into the underbrush caused an unwary rabbit to leap out of cover and right into his path. It was then that any watchers might have been surprised by the swiftness with which the titantic steed moved, contrasted against his earlier deliberate gestures. Teeth snapped as his head snaked after the bounding creature, body surging into motion to ensure he wouldn't be left behind, biting air. Instead he caught it with a crunch and a cut-off squeal. There was a moment where instinctive impulse nearly had him devouring it then and there, but he mastered it swiftly before beginning his own trek to welcome the new life.

It was as he expected. Mirage, Akaith, Amaris and Semira were already there, along with two adolescent youngsters of pale hue. A soft snort was given to announce his presence before he stepped up beside Destrier's prone body. Gently he reached down to deposit the rabbit's carcass with a small thump beside the newly hatched green. "A first meal after all the effort of hatching." He rumbled quietly, thrumming a quiet welcome to the tiny green, Suli.

It was a brief moment, and then he was moving to join his mate and daughters. His muzzles stretched to meet Mirage's golden one, crooning an affectionate welcome, which continued even after his muzzle moved to trace the scaled neck of the WeyrLeader's dragon form. Continued as he circled 'round her to greet his daughters with gentle nuzzles and at last reached to touch muzzles with Akaith. He only fell completely silent as he stood beside his family, a towering but not intentionally intimidating presence.

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier

Much to my surprise, my moment alone with the newly hatched dragoness doesn't last long. Instead of annoyance, however, I feel blessed to have such an audience gather to welcome the new life into the World's Edge, the Qian, my family. Hopefully the little green doesn't start to feel too overwhelmed by the sheer amount of eyes that were upon her.

The first to arrive was the pale filly, Sakura, who had more or less led me to the forest in the first place. I had been worried for her safety, and had followed to ensure that she was indeed safe, wherever she may venture. Lifting my muzzle to gaze up at the filly, I caught the excitement in her emerald eyes and returned to her a gentle smile. "Thank you, Sakura," I spoke in response, thankful that I hadn't been met with jealousy or resentment. For one so young, Sakura seemed quite mature already.

Next to arrive came not as individuals, but as a group I had come used to seeing together. It was that of the mighty Dragonheart, and looming in the treetops not far from her was that of Akaith, both offering up their song of welcome to my newly hatched friend. Hardly a second later came the two scaly daughters of the Weyrleader, each earning a wing over their young backs. For a moment I considered rising to my feet, to put myself at less of an awkward position amongst my peers, but it was quickly decided that it could wait. Suli was still damp, and I worried she might fall if I attempt to have her climb upon me before I rose. I would give her the proper time she needed to adjust to her body, and only when she was ready would I attempt otherwise.

Hearing the dragonsong upon the air, Suli lifted her head to gaze upon Mirage and her golden. Still unbalanced, head swaying ever so slightly back and forth, she opened her mouth to sing with them, but it came out as more or less of a squeak. She wanted nothing more than to join them in their beautiful serenade, which in time, she would. I doubted it would take her long to find her true voice, and in days I expected to see her flying circles above me with the rest of her winged kin. The thought caused something within my chest to blossom in happiness.

Just as I settle my bister gaze on the Dragonheart and start to thank her for kind words, another voice catches in my ears, one that is familiar beyond reasoning. It was that of my son, and almost as soon as I hear him do I spot him approaching, a broad smile on his pale face. I was beyond happy to see that he had arrived to welcome the new life, but I was admittedly surprised to see that he had come without his sister. I had noticed Luken's recent wanderings, but I had yet to question him of them. Perhaps that would be my next task, after tending to the hatchling. Breathing a soft exhale, there was nothing I could do to hold back the relentless smile etched on my own face. "Thank you Mirage, Luken; both of you, for your kind words. I cannot wait to see what she'll be like."

In a matter of seconds, yet another body joins us. In near shock, I swept my eyes quickly about the group, counting a total of seven. Without a doubt, fate had put me in the right place.

The seventh came in the form of Vikram, and from his jaws hung a limp, lifeless rabbit. Where several might have been disturbed by the carcass, I was not, for it had been the only source of sustenance for the warriors in Vallhea, rabbits and deer being the most common. When the body was dropped, Suli examined it for a moment, stretching her nose outwards in a display of curiosity before making her move. With her wings dropped to the ground, working like the front legs of which she was without, she moved close to the rabbit and began to tear away at it.

Allowing the dragoness to have her first meal in peace, for I knew it was needed, I finally rose to my feet, ever mindful of Suli's placement on the ground. Immediately I turned my gaze to the towering bay form as he moved beside his family, offering a dip of my head as I speak, "Thank you." For a moment I consider the draconic family, my gaze flickering briefly to Akaith and then back again. Surely they would be watching over the green's progress until she was at a more independent age, which I welcomed. They knew more about dragons than I ever would. "I would be forever in your debt if you could help me along the way."

"Talk."

Credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Sakura Posts: 41
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 16hh :: Two Years (at time of death) Buff: NOVICE
Emily

Sakura</style>

It seemed that we would not be a trio for very long. My head jerks around as Queen WeyrLeader Mirage arrived with her bonded golden dragon and her new daughters. Mirage echoed my words about the little green's beauty. "Sakura speaks the truth; beauty defines her. A fitting name, Destrier." My green eyes look over Mirage and her little family, almost jealous of how close they were to their mother. Lately my own mother had seemed distant... Aaron tried to sooth my worries, but he too seemed concerned. Slowly I begin to slip backward, trying to make myself less known to those arriving.

My attention went back to the little green dragoness for only a moment as yet another arrived. This time I am surprised to see the colt I had met months ago, well almost run into months ago. He was larger than I am now, and looks to be several months older than I am. With slight annoyance he completely ignores me. It appeared that it was his own father that had followed me to the Deep Forest that day. Well... No wonder the WingLeader was so keen on keeping me safe. Good old father instincts. I sigh softly before turning my attention to yet another arrival.

This time, I step backward even more as the dragon horse thing moves in. He carries in his mouth a dead rabbit. I wince, hating to think of the rabbit's death. However I see soon that it was a thing of necessity as he drops the rabbit down for little Suli. She eagerly moves forward devouring her first meal. Ah, so that explains it. He continues on, and I relax as he moves in against mirage and her daughters. Ah so he was their Dad it seemed. Yet another pang as it seemed I was the only one present that did not have blood ties to be here. Slowly I step backward again, shyly. Maybe I should just go, and mind my own business for once in my life...

"talk talk talk"
MY HEART IS EVER AT YOUR SERVICE.
credits: how-you-remind-me and phototori @ deviantart.com

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

Mirage the DragonHeart

More arrived, just as they should arrive. It was a momentous occasion, one that Mirage did not begrudge any from ever wanting to witness. Impression was a sacred forging of a new bond, a mixing of souls, an unbreakable, often unobtainable and wondrous happening that was not completely understood, even by one such as Mirage, who had seen the bond occur countless times, and been bonded for over a decade herself. Previously she had thought it exclusive to occur between only equine and draconic souls, but recently that thought had been shattered - the bonding of Kali the gryphon with her sister was one obvious example that came to mind.

As each voiced their compliments and the dark steed sent his warm replies of gratitude, she smiled kindly, feeling rather than otherwise sensing that her mate was approaching. Even as the metallic tingle of blood stirred her senses she knew that it was not his own - he was a good father, to her daughters, but also to the herd itself - this much he proved as his titanic form presented the rabbit, fat from a healthy season of laying down fat in preparation for the coming winter, to the young dragon, who ate with normal vigour and hunger driving her carnivorous yearnings. By her side, she felt the stirring of her daughter, Amaris, who had been tracking the position of the rabbit with keen interest, seemed now focussed upon something else.

The subtle motions of Sakura had not gone unnoticed by the golden scaled dragonsister, who moved with feline grace to intercept her path, bumping her muzzle against the older one's shoulder, a curious tilting in her tiara as she silently questioned why the youth would want to leave such an occasion prematurely. "You are Torasin's daughter." She spoke quietly, her voice low and melodic, containing the truth as it was, nothing more, nothing less. "Mother thinks of him as one of her own brothers." Again, the truth was delivered with childlike directness, the expression upon her face unreadable for the most part as she seemingly took another moment to consider this information for herself.

"That would make us cousins, wouldn't it?" It was a question posed with innocence, but she nodded to herself as she motioned to stand closer to the taller, older maiden, as if this was reason enough to assume that the youth would no longer try to flee the scene on a misplaced sense of not belonging. Sakura had lineage which was littered with countless bonds to dragons, she belonged here just as much as everyone else - at the very least, Amaris would not be letting her leave just yet.

Mirage watched the interaction with quiet pride and amusement swelling in her chest. At Destrier's words of requiring ongoing help, Mirage flicked her sharp gaze back to him, and spoke with kind warmth lacing her tones like a thick layer of golden honey. "Of course, we will always be here, Destrier. There is no debt when family is concerned." She added thoughtfully, smiling all the while. The only thing Mirage required from him in return is faithful loyalty and diligent effort put into his rank as WingLeader - such things that she trusted she would receive without needing to request for them repeatedly.

"Suli will tell you the most - listen to her, and not just with your ears." A playful winked clicked one of her scaled eyes shut for a second, as the dragonmare then gave a pointed glance to the little green, wondering at what her soul must feel like - she did this with most dragons, she wondered what each one would feel like. It was a sensation unlike anything she could describe - her own bondmate was so unique and wonderful that no words existed in any language she knew to describe her. Akaith brushed against her, mentally if not physically, an agreement. With quiet curiosity, she wondered at whether her own daughters would ever be fortunate enough to feel the brush of another's soul upon their own - aside from Akaith's, who occasionally pressed herself so insistently upon those she loved that they were bound to feel something strange and foreign - her own, draconic soul.

"You will feel her hunger, just as she will feel yours. Not only hunger, but anger, happiness, depression - each are shared through the bond. In time, you will feel more than just strange, foreign emotions… I promise you this, Destrier. You are suited to this life, do not ever doubt it." She spoke as if she had been prepared to launch into a longer explanation - but she had had no one to guide her, and while she would elaborate if he so desired, it was surely the best if he should discover it all for himself, rather then expect things at certain times and be disappointed if things did not go to plan. No, it was far better for him to have no expectations, and be thrilled at every gift of the bond that revealed itself as time went on.
image credits
table by whit