the Rift

[PRIVATE] Gold Dust [Grey, Midas]

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Nail my soul to the middle of a cross that fills this hole
I never understood the Written Word</style>

Days stretched on into countless weeks and months and Ktulu's body gradually morphed into that of a pregnant mare, heavy with foal. She knew that time was ticking down until the day she would finally give birth to the foal that she had asked for. Still, the situation seemed strange to the dark Chieftess, but it was a good sort of strange. In the later stages of her pregnancy she found herself content, her hormones no longer so violently at war with one another. She could speak to others that called upon her without fighting the urge to stab them in the throat with her horn. Even her bonded seemed to be more relaxed and she realized that he had been on edge since the conception of this child, if only because of his mental and spiritual bond to her. She'd uttered many apologies to Eytan over the course of her pregnancy, though not a single one had been uttered to anyone who had crossed her path.

They should know not to anger a pregnant mare.

As the time drew nearer Ktulu's patrol of her herd land's border lessened until she confined herself to the interior of the herd land. She was confident that her General could handle the patrols on his own and delegate them out to the other executioners and warriors. If he couldn't handle it then she would see to promoting a new general who could. It was her final thought before the mare drifted off to sleep only to be woken in the early hours of the morning by sharp pains in her belly that she remembered from when she'd given birth to Hototo.

Despite the pain of her contractions Ktulu slipped into a secluded area of the Foothills where she would have privacy while she birthed her new foal. The labor was strenuous as she remembered it to be from her first and after when felt like many hours of work a dark filly slid from her womb and into the lush Foothills grass. The Chieftess was back on her hooves in a matter of minutes and quickly busied herself with cleaning her newborn filly. It was with satisfaction that Ktulu noted the coloring of her daughter that would easily link her to both herself and Midas. Her tongue swiped over the filly's forehead which was when she felt the little nub there that was evidence that she would carry both her mother's horn and her father's wings.

"Ranjiri." Ktulu breathed her daughter's name as the filly looked up at her with pupil-less crimson eyes. She stood by as her daughter lay there, blinking at the bright sun and carefully moving one wing and then the other, her gaze roving over her mother before she finally began to look around with a curious expression already on her babyish face.

ooc:// open for anyone in the grey and midas c:

Credits

Icon by Tay

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

Look at me, toddlin’ around ‘n stuff.

I was off away from Ma, obviously, being a busy body with my stubby little legs and my own little list of stuff to take care of. Important stuff, hush-hush stuff, stuff I’ve long since forgotten about but my lil’ tot brain probably thought was the most important thing in the whole freaking world. I still didn’t talk—didn’t want to at the time—but someone was dumb enough to let me walk. I was getting’ in everyone’s face now, learning everyone’s business. Getting ready to hone every skill I possibly owned. I was, in short, a monster in the making.
But I didn’t think like that; I was just some tot on a mission.

I guess I should clarify a few things before I get more in-depth. I will never remember my life before Jiji; she’s a constant force to reckon with, a component to existance that never really began and that never really ends. Like breathing. Or taxes. Or whatever you will. But anyway, back to the whole Jiji thing. I was too young to understand the concept of “birth” and “being born” at that time, and the idea that someone, somewhere, was giving precious, fragile life to another was lost way over my tiny head. The fact that Jiji was just making her way into the wide world I now found myself walking all over would never penetrate my skull. It’s still a strange concept to me, just thinking about it like a rational adult—but let’s not get too hasty, now. I wasn’t a rational adult yet. I was Ros, short and stocky and ready for action, wondering where the hell Jiji went.

Somehow, I found Auntie without even trying. Not Ktulu (how even the hell do you say that name? Like honestly) or Chieftess, but Auntie. She was always a large mare, and will remain a reputable force of strength and granite power in my books. Auntie equated to power, to control and everything respectable about being a leader. I would emulate her one of these days, when I figured out what the heck “emulate” even meant. Well, here she was now, still large with a little less gut, and there was this…thing, laying there. No, not a thing, excuse me. What am I saying?

There was Jiji.

It didn’t feel like I was meeting my baby cousin, my little sister, my best friend at that moment. There wasn’t some spark of total understanding, some groundbreaking realization that I was meeting one of the few people I would truly care about in the crazy labyrinth of my future debts. She was just Jiji, tiny as me with awkward wings and gold all over that black-night pelt. It was just another day in the life of Jiji and me, and we were just meeting like usual, except it felt like she was a tad bit late. Silly Jiji, keeping me waiting. I made my first sound that day (I still refused to talk). It was a snort that gradually gave way to a small, warbling sort of whinny. It was forceful, and cheerful, and impatient and all sorts of other character indicators.

‘Bout time! I was saying. You’re late!

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Her due date was swiftly approaching. I wasn’t entirely sure the exact day or time that our child would enter this world—but if Ktulu’s mood was an indicator surely our foal was due at any moment. Her sides bulged to their limit; hinting upon a decent sized foal, or perhaps even twins. A father’s heart could skip when thinking about double trouble, (we of course didn’t have to bear the full weight.) The accusing glares that would surely arise if such ideas be uttered aloud made even the stupidest of Stallions keep their traps shut.

Truthfully I found the whole process of pregnancy rather beautiful to behold, and I didn’t spare the chance of sharing that quiet love with Ktulu. Showing by actions, not words that she was as flawless in my eyes as the purest of spirits. My admiration in her strength only grew with each passing day—I didn’t pity this process, instead it seemed almost basely instinctive to take the sidelines and support her however that I could.

Hints on this journey’s end were subtle at first. The clues became more recognizable during the last few weeks—she came to the border less and less, until finally I had to enter the Foothills to see her on a semi regular basis. Saying that crossing territories went against the grain was a mild statement, it was unsettling each time I had to step into another fellows land. My mate and her sister had given their blessing to my crossings for the sake of this pregnancy, but still…it felt awkward.

In a way. I had two families, both of which was loved with a whole heart.
Who would have guessed that the fated hour that my first blood linked child was to be born would come on an average Joe morning? I had woken early, energized from having spent the past few suns getting caught up on some chores around the desert before requesting a day to travel. With our morning sun just starting to crest the horizon, I take to the sky. It can’t be put into words how flying makes a heart shine bright, or how joyfully it was to fly to my temptress with a crisp northern breeze stroking each feather.

The sun was high by the time I made it to Ktulu’s border, one landing later and I was trotting across the boundary with that same nagging feeling that I had just done something horribly wrong. It didn’t take long before those emotions were put on a backburner though, after a short while of walking I realized that my lady wasn’t in her usual spots. Quick enough my senses honed onto her scent, the sweet musk that used to remind me of proud pines and mountains—now tasted of wild wheat and earth.

Down a worn beaten trail I plowed quietly on, following her fragrance until the path widened into a secluded glade. My eyes caught sight of a shaded figure, darkly colored and slightly thinner than my lady had been last I saw. What my pools saw next caused a tender heart to grow still—solid for a moment, then it melt into a puddle of pure affection. Unwittingly I had stopped moving altogether, my legs seemed locked into place between the glade and what lay behind.

A gangly cherub lay at her feet. Body dipped in the same dark coals as her dam, and glimmering in the patched sunlight I noticed gold riding up a shoulder. Finally I mustered my brain together and unthawed second’s after the freeze. Another child lingered in the area, curiously approaching my mate and newborn baby. I pushed forward, heading toward them as well. Had I not been currently aimed for meeting the newest addition to my growing flock I might have let my gaze linger on the other unusual child—allowed my eyes to trace the unusual patterns along her spine.

Instead, my lips widened into a gentle smile. Slowing I beamed at our child, realizing from the scent that it was a filly who had been brought into this world. My firstborn daughter. Her legs resembled the striping that Ktulu worn, only instead of white they had been dipped in the same gold that coated my daggers. My element had woven into the very design of her being, wingtips and even the blaze across her delicate face golden. Though the eyes, dipped the same as her mother. Bright red.

“Such a perfect filly,” I murmured softly, completely amazed by how astoundingly beautiful this sweet spirit was. My head lowers to breathe in her sweet baby essence, “As her mother is.” My gaze rises to meet the woman I love, muzzle extends over our child to brush along Ktulu.
Our colours come alive when I collide with you
with you, with you
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia trotted briskly after Roskuld, her cloven toes gently depressing the grass. The sun was just starting to rise, turning the sky pink and orange with promise, and she found Ktulu and Midas in the distance, sharing in a moment that was just for the two of them to share. Ophelia waited for what she felt was an appropriate amount of time; she did not truly know. Her concepts on social normalcy were vastly off, trapped within a mind that held the world. Cautiously, she approached, respecting the pair and their child. Two toned eyes landed upon the figure which rested in the grass, a filly, with markings to match her father and mother.

The child would have wings as well, and a horn. She thought of Mesec and how he was cast out for his bodily possessions. Now, he would know that he belonged. Here was a sister of his, a beautiful sister with the same appendages. And she could only hope that they would be close. The Foothills was teeming with children now with Hototo being the eldest and wisest. She wondered if the boy would take the responsibility of elder with pride or if he would find it a burden. What would he think about his sister? Would he feel less loved or more?

By the time her parents had their boys, Ophelia was independent. Perhaps too soon, but she was not one to misunderstand the world, being born such an old soul. She never felt less loved, and the lack of attention from her parents was a blessing since she was no longer under their scrutiny.

Then, she turned to Midas. She could see the way his focus never wavered from Ktulu and could almost feel the adoration and love pour off of him in waves. In his golden eyes, she thought she saw devotion she had never seen before, a love that was all consuming. The display of emotion would startle her, she thought, out of fear that she could ever betray such a pure emotion.

And she could not help but wonder if Ktulu felt the same. Did she truly love him? Would her loyalty to the Grey waver if he asked, or would she break his heart? The couple sat precariously on a balance, a simple contract able to shatter this moment and send both of them into regret and oblivion. Would it be worth it, in the end? Ophelia was not a bitter soul, but she was an honest one. Life had not been kind to her, and she learned to view the world with a guarded heart. Through the same guarded heart she would live a solitary life unless a force of nature drove her otherwise.

And then Ophelia's eyes rested back on Ktulu's child and thought that even if the world fell down, this life would be worth the price. "Good morning, Ranjiri," she murmured, having caught the name from Ktulu's mind. She was used to sharing everything with her sister, and sharing her thoughts openly. But she would not be sharing her doubts, not at this moment. Perhaps later, when they were alone and Midas had returned to his home. But not now. Now was a time for celebrating. "Roskuld, welcome your cousin into the world, darling. You are blessed with a full family." She said, her lips in a smile as she looked upon the new life and her own child. Ophelia was glad that Ktulu had borne a child in the same time, and that Roskuld would have someone her age to grow up with.

CARRY YOUR CROSS
And I'll carry mine. Dig your own hole and you'll be fine.

roni

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
Lakota
                     Her smile makes you wonder where she's been

Shadows are indistinguishable, lacking all signs of individuality. They may differ in shapes, depth, darkness...yet they are merely shadows. One does not let a shadow flicker into their vision and say 'that is the shadow of that tree at this hour' because a shadow is vague and meaningless. So many days had shifted, seasons wilted into another, and Lakota had been a fool. For all that time she had believed that a kindred soul had been discovered. Another inky black stain on the face of the ever-shifting color-shade wheel of life. Upon the clash of carmine and amaranth, the vixen of dark deeds had hoped that this strange mistress was another traveling shadow. Misunderstood, unwanted, unnoticed. Two fires burning from the same kindling, with the same sorrow that coated the ocean sapphire.

What a fool she had been.

Did she coat their palettes with the acrid taste of the poison that lingered in her skin and mind? Was that why they spat her out in disgust once she registered within their senses? Fool, what a fool. For so long she had watched from afar, the guardian of Ktulu's steps. In the days they had shared, from the time they had first met in the biting snow until the emotional wreck that had been her sister's homecoming, the fiery fae had grown into the very core of her being. Labels had never been something the killer valued, and yet she found herself awkwardly naming her Chieftess when inwardly questioning who, exactly, was her best friend. Sister by bond and not blood. Companion? Friend in the art of flirtation and teasing? Lakota may deflect all emotion with the shield of stone she held around her, but even her eyes could not be blinded to the abnormal affection that lurked, unacknowledged, beneath the surface of her loyalty to Ktulu. Metaphorically she could not shield her vision from this, just as literally she could not turn her eyes away from the obvious signs of childbearing that swelled the slim sides of her commander.

Long ago the Moon Goddess had declared she was not impervious to the magic of her being, but the sour taste in her mouth could not be born so insidiously from her talents. No, she unrightfully felt betrayed. Not only by having the information or even name of her secret, nightly Romeo withheld, but by that same desperate adoration that quivered like the last stubborn leaf of autumn upon the bare branches of her broken heart. Was she consumed by the tidal wave those daydreamers called love? No, and yet the tiny ripples were sad reminders that maybe with time it could have been. Bitterly she realized that no matter how hard she tried, cornering Ktulu alone was nigh impossible. Questions burned upon her throat like that of a man stranded in the desert with nothing to quench his excruciating thirst. And as she was evaded and deterred, life grew larger within her commander.

Who was she to think that Ktulu thought of her any higher than a loyal poisoner and warrior? That a young, attractive leader could ever find her thin, plain features appealing was astounding. Fool, fool, her mind chanted insidiously. Oh how they tortured her. Would this dull, persistent throbbing ache be worse had she truly fallen? Was this what others called a crush? Mild interest? So out of her area of expertise was she that even the desperate naming to this tiny seed of emotion was awkward at best. It all seemed so serious when dissected, as if she was hopelessly prone at Ktulu's legs with her love. Soft snort breaks the silence of her travel, small trails of mist drifting heavenward in the chilly morning air. This would do her no good to dwell upon.

Late to the party once more, she muses.

Gold lattice patterns are cast along the slopes of every bodice gathered round the new mother, splashes of pink and hues of orange glowing within their features. It is a beautiful hour, both through sentiment and physicality. Another tiny foal stands curiously, impatiently, at the side of Ktulu's daughter. Heart ached and twisted within the bony confines that held it, remembering hushed whispers and dreamy eyes when things had been somewhat right in the world. How precious she found these weak, innocent creatures, and yet she kept them from her with the chill upon her cheekbones and the deserted look within her her gaze. When had they entered the world, she pondered. They had slipped like thieves into the home she cherished, unseen and unheard by the silent reaper of the night. Had everyone found it fit to not inform her of these happenings? She, who held the power to heal and help should any problems arise? It seems the shadow truly is unnoticed and unimportant.

Love cannot be ignored, for it shines like the rays of the sun from the stallion whose scent is of a rather distinctly different herd. It is as if Ktulu is his center, his gravity, the sun his life and being revolves around. It is almost painful to witness, and yet it makes her sigh softly in longing. Maybe if someone gazed at her as he did Ktulu, the warmth could chase away the shadows and melt away the ice that had clutched her heart and kept romantic love away since her beloved's untimely, agonizing end. How can she hate or envy someone so deeply, purely in love? Like honey it flowed and clung to his words, and she felt invasive and wrong despite the arrival and presence of the beautiful alabaster doll who was clearly the bearer of the other tiny fae. Too much time has passed since the first announcement of the newborn's title, and yet Ophelia passes it along to her unknowingly. Ranjiri. Roskuld, too, is a name she is unfamiliar with. Clearly it is not the name of the stallion to her right, and the soft, intimate tone suggests even further that the princess is conversing with her offspring.

She has been watching the family for a few moments, heliotrope lenses softening into shades of lavender in the vibrant array of colors the morning brings. Strange, it seemed her thoughts had kept her so much longer. Aodaun brings her to life, as if she was an automaton and he was the key to her motion. An emerald glitters at her breast, held by a loop of dark earthen metal. Behind it a flash of silver chain and a gem of turquoise and frost. Light catches and like a prism swirls off into a delicate rainbow wherever she strides. Memory fondly recalls the time when she had kissed the brow of the newborn twins Phaedra had given life to, and despite the dead look in her gaze when it travels over the adults, there is a weak, faint glow that appears as she steps close to the newborn. Ao halts an appropriate distance away with a soft command, whining softly. It is clear she is carrying a burden, even if his concern had not been so obvious to the ears. Even so it is set aside, temporarily shrugged off so that she can welcome this bright young soul to a dark world.

"Ranjiri..." Name rolls like silk off her unguardedly tired feminine tone. Tasting each syllable, each letter, until it is familiar through one utterance. Spindly legs have yet to test the earth, and so the lean vixen sashayed closer while she had the time. Orchid meets rose, and Lakota wished she could give something more to this little flower that would bloom in a garden of lies and pain. "Your beauty will only be transcended by your heart and strength, little one." Just as she blessed Hotaru and Raeden, the words fall like a soothing summer rain as she revels in the practice of her homeland. It is a soft, intimate murmur meant only for Ranjiri's ears, but not quiet enough to seem suspicious. It is doubtful the others do not hear her, but her gaze never wavers and she prays her voice follows the example it sets. "May the wind only ever lift you higher, and the earth never cover your path. If it shall, let the shine of the moon above be your guiding light, the sun a protection of light and goodness that will force evil away from your heart, and time gift you with a swift return home. Never forget that you are precious, Ranjiri. Should you ever need me, I am only a breath away. I will always look over you, even when you think I am gone." Lids closed and she let her muzzle drop gently to press a kiss to the tiny brow of the child. Magic tingled through her lips, with no wound to stitch and no ache to soothe. Praying it would comfort and strengthen her as the earth was steady and constant beneath their weight.

Once this was done she pulled back once more, and with some careful shifting managed to slip the chain of the first amulet from her shoulders to her chin. Crown turned and teeth caught hold of the dangling chain, freeing it from her body and letting it turn until it faced the correct way. Carefully she draped it over the tiny face, and settled it almost lovingly at the base of her little shoulders. It was a muted mix of copper and chartreuse, an attractive compliment to her dark coat, a beautiful canvas of deep umber and subtle henna. Flare of sunshine blonde hairs cascaded like a flowing river of gold over her delicate face, staining the flight feathers of her wings and dipping each little leg in perfect goldenrod. Pale white-blonde hairs were fluffy and puffed out like a freshly groomed kitten, clearly from Ktulu. Lies had not touched her lips during her blessing, as it was wrong to even think of something so horrid during such a special-at least, to her- ceremony. Once it rested over her heart, deep jade stone large on her frail bones, the lean minx shifted away from where she had set the chain that held something so precious and looked into her deep albino irises once more. Smile came to her lips, something playful and secretive, even if Ranjiri was too young to know much of what she was doing or saying. "If I cannot come to your side in time, and should this group of lovely people be unable to move the mountains that they surely would were you in danger, use this. It is a piece of me, and now it is a piece of you. Welcome to the world, Ranjiri," she breathed softly. With that, her blessing was complete.

Straightening from the bent position she had been in, the coal smudged lass turned her eyes to the other little creature that stood at the newborn's side. Hardly above the age herself, there was a fierce electric fire to her soul that Lakota was amused and saddened to see. It would win her trouble time and again, and there would always be someone stronger and more advanced ready to knock you down no matter how many wins stacked beneath your belt. Pain would pierce her own shriveled heart to see the spirited babe fall to her knees even once. Like a river of ink she slipped between the glowing adults, a guardian angel on her own private mission, plucking the feathers from her own wings to weave into their manes. As weary and heartbroken as her face may betray, she would not let this spike of kryptonite in her bloodstream keep her from giving these new sparks a puff of encouraging air. A glance to her pale queen, for she is not as close to this twin as she is the other. No harm would come to Roskuld in her presence, but Lakota knew that maternal instincts didn't give a damn when it came to a possible threat.

Bending is not required, and the supple willow branch of her form sways only slightly lower to kiss the crown of the child, once more aware of the horn that is sprouting from her skin. Though the Time Lord had never graced her with his fabulous presence, Lakota could at least sense that this cherub would not react as kindly to her earthen kiss as her cousin. Instead she pulled away, giving the slightly older child a little more room. She has grown, is building more of a personality and an intelligence that will follow. With the sass the dark princess can spot in her as easily as a scar upon her hide, giving her a little more space would likely be for the best. Liquid chocolate eyes are only interrupted by a sharp shock of cobalt. Just as her cousin, the exiled royal held her gaze firmly. Should the little missy look away, it would not discourage her words. Stubbornly, almost desperately, she ignored the other adults that stood so close. So many hurts in one place, she would be unable to handle it for long. Aodaun's soft whines crackled with a few growls, as if confused whether to be sad along with her or jump to protect her, sensing she was in need of time alone.

A swish of her plume and he snorted unhappily, refusing to sit and instead standing. Time was running short. "Roskuld..." And this name held yet another flavor, for instead of dark chocolate it was almost like candy that sparkled furiously in her mouth. "I can see you will become a hellion quite soon, a pearl and sapphire flame that everyone will hesitate to cross paths with when you burn." Weak amusement twisted her maw. "Protect those who do not have your courage, Roskuld. Let your words be true, no matter if others would prefer to be blind and happy in a fantasy world. Stand up for what you believe, and never let another touch the hide of any you hold to your heart, or that of your own." Oh, there was so much she wanted to say! So much wisdom she wished to impart upon a mind too new to understand, so many wishes and loving hopes! Yet like a loose thread over worried by nervous hands, she was unraveling faster the more time went on. "Let the earth give you the strength and stability to overthrow any who dare to try and stop you. Let time give you long life, full of adventure and excitement. I pray the light of the moon will keep you on your honest path, and the sun blaze away any dark creatures that try to plague your mind when you are weak. May the wind make you swift and storms grant you ferocity wherever you desire to use it." Throat is growing closed and a soft clearing of it is nearly a roar in her own ears. Faint trembling was starting in her knees, enough only for her to feel. Ao shifted restlessly, but advanced no farther. Even he would not disobey Lakota, no matter how upset she was growing. "You have family around you always, Roskuld. I hope you will not be too proud or too scared to let them carry you when you cannot move, and let them hold your heart when you are hurting." Oh, she knew the price of pride. Perhaps Roskuld wouldn't heed these unknown words even if she had understood, if only because Lakota knew the rebellious fire that existed in her heart.

Again she shimmied her long neck, removing the second amulet and holding it within her jaws. It caught the rising sun and flared in a mix of brilliant silver and electric blues, accented only by dark coal smudges in the metal chain and the whites that swirled like thick whipping cream within the mottled beryl of the stone. Just as she had moments before she draped it over the tough little gal's head and settled it against her heart as well. As she was drawing away she gave the same promise whispered sincerely into the small ears of Roskuld's cousin. "You will always want to protect yourself, little Roskuld. But when your strength fails you, and you start to feel the first tickles of fear, remember me and let this protect you. Be safe, little bluejay. Do not let pride wash you away as it did me, do not feel weak for using it in dire times. I am always at your side and in the shadows, even if you never call upon me." Silken muzzle drifted over the bridge of her little bluejay's nose, barely a kiss, and then she was turning in a tight circle and returning to Aodaun. His dark amethyst orbs were only interrupted by the raven furls that reminded others that he was a companion, no mere bear and yet no simple replica of his cherished one.

Once his princess was by his side did the shuffling and growling stop, her Knight in snowy armor, even if he was only as tall as her knee. Canines still flashed uncertainly in response to her frazzled emotions, but other than that Lakota's quiet pleading through their secret network of knowledge kept him complacent. Even with so many needles sticking out of the voodoo doll they had made of her heart, Lakota managed to keep the serene, aristocratic expression. The curse of her family revealed everything through her eyes, but other than the few smiles given to the children, that mask had thankfully yet to crack. Oh, how the unnamed lover of Ktulu reminded her of Ithrim's love! And how it made her long for someone to stare at her with such devotion, such understanding of her soul! And Ktulu and Ophelia, how she longed to know the pride and love of a mother gazing upon their newborn. How badly it hurt to know that, even as she foolishly thought that she and Ktulu were forming a strong bond, that she would be oblivious to any love interests and even the conception of her daughter. Love was the one think Lakota was missing, and yet the sharp spines she had glued to her personality kept all others from getting close enough to give it to her.

It hurt enough to sear her, but her lip only gave the tiniest of trembles when she elegantly twisted her neck to gaze over one delicate, sinewy shoulder. "You are all blessed. Let this happiness stay in your hearts as long as possible. You, stallion!" She suddenly barked, the velvet girly tone she owned morphing back to the masculine growl she used around most of the Grey. Gaze narrowed upon him like a hawk, uncaring of how her leaders felt about this possible threatening of his being. "You seem an honest soul, but we all can act. If you so much as force my Chieftess to shed a tear, stomp a leg in anger, or do any worse...I shall rip you to shreds and poison your lungs, only to heal you and repeat the process until I pass you on to Ophelia, or she passes you on to me." Plum fires surged in her gaze, a blood insignia seal that stamped her threat and made it into a promise for the future should any condition be met. Giving a wry, bitter grin, she turned her face away. This next line could not be said while they could see through the windows to her soul. "Congratulations on becoming mothers and fathers. I hope you have strength for the journey ahead, and that you will love one another enough to make even the immortals jealous. Cherish them," she managed to whimper out at the end. All throughout her voice had been strong, but the sting of evil revenge had shot up behind her eyes. Cherish them as I would have cherished the foal I always wanted from the only person that loved me.

And the shadow collected her little parcel, a false glimmer of light that is truly the reflection of all into a void of nothing. Long pillars give her the easy, catty saunter of a temptress, and yet her hips do not sway seductively. No, she is jogging as fast as she can away from the happy family gathering without making it obvious that she is tempted to run as fast as her hooves can carry her away from these awful ghosts. They teased and laughed, pulled her hair, stubbornly returning just when she had thought them gone. Reminding her of her failures, her inadequacies, her destructive and unlovable nature. Everything she touched, everything she loved, wilted away as easily as the plants she infected with her poison. She envied them, longed and ached for this beautiful part of their lives, and yet she prayed to every god she knew that they would be allowed happiness for as long as possible.

They didn't deserve to go through what she had. At least they had their little ones, Lakota had not even been granted that one special soul to carry on the memory of the person she had considered her one true love. Hoping the amulets would protect the unstained, fluffy-winged angels, Kota only let the binds around her snap when they were out of sight and hearing range. How badly she wished to scream her anger and agony, but that would be too loud. Instead she let her legs draw her into the forestry at speeds that would likely be considered extremely dangerous when combined with the slick, dewy ground of Orangemoon's colorful morning. Running could not shake the memories, the longing and feeling of betrayal of her tentative hopes and emotions, but it could at least drain her enough until she could destroy her surroundings in a fit of rage and then fall into a listless sleep.

Shadows are indistinguishable, lacking all signs of individuality.

Lakota grit her teeth, finishing the sentence her thoughts had spun what seemed like ages ago in quite a different fashion.

Shadows are indistinguishable, lacking all signs of individuality. They blend into the background, always there but never important enough to notice. Their services are only employed when it benefits the other. Shadows are better off forgotten.

-----

ooc: Hope this isn't too much powerplay! M.E. I know I didn't inform you of the amulet, if you don't want it I can change it <3 Any problems with the PP (I tried to keep it minor, sorry) just PM me and I'll edit it in a jiffy.

Also...really sorry for the length o----o was NOT expecting the rambling.

Credits

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
   Ranjiri</style>
  give me strength when i'm standing and faith when i fall</style>

The light hurt my eyes, momma. I was so used to the darkness that I didn't know what to do when light washed over me and stung my eyes. Everything that day was an assault on my senses from the light to the sounds of so many voices to the breeze that rippled the grass. I settled for shivering while your cleaned me but I thought that it didn't last quite long enough. You gave me warmth and when you stopped the warmth disappeared only to be renewed later. Roskuld was the first one to make it to see me, do you remember that momma? Daddy followed shortly after, but Ros was the first one there to welcome me. We became really close really quickly. She's my best friend. No, she's more than that. She's the sister you never gave me.

I didn't pay too much attention to daddy when he finally made it to see us. He loves you so much, momma. Could you see it in his eyes? I could. I know you love him, too, but there's a distance you keep, isn't there? Do you do it to protect yourself? My attention was drawn away from you by Aunt Ophie. I rotated one of my ears toward her when she told me good morning and I fluttered my downy wings because I couldn't yet talk having just been born. More came and though I probably should have been trying by then to find my legs I just continued to lay there and watch them as they all came to greet me like I was someone important.

I am not important. I am simply Ranjiri.

I'm sure you remember well everyone that came, momma. I think you might remember Lakota, especially. She's a sweet mare, I think. She was the first one that came straight to me and spoke a lot of words. Some of them I couldn't quite understand at the time but I understand them now. I remember the look in her eyes well. You didn't see it did you, momma? She looked so sad and so conflicted. She prayed over me, kissed my forehead, and gifted me with an amulet from the God of the Earth. I may have been a newborn, but even I understood what a gift was. I was young but not stupid. In return I pressed my face against Lakota's. It was in my mind that I prayed for her, wished her to find what truly made her happy in her life and once she found it I prayed for her to have the strength to grab hold of it and keep it. She deserves happiness, don't you think?

When Lakota moved on to Ros I finally took to my feet after a couple of spills. I remember the look in your eyes when you helped steady me so I could have my first drink. I remember hearing laughs at the way my wings began to flap as I drank eagerly and hungrily. It felt like forever before I had finally finished drinking, but when I was finished I had a full belly. You even commented on how round it looked. Being full and being a newborn didn't stop me from turning and looking around at everyone that had gathered. By that time Lakota had finished and Ros was free. I know I was shaky, but I made a show of trotting over to the other filly and shoving my muzzle against hers in greeting to her.

Credits

aud pixel!

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

Was I rude for ignoring everyone who came by to see the tiny new breath of life that lay at my feet? Maybe, maybe not. True, I could’ve at least givenMa a glance of wordless acknowledgement, tearing my eyes away from Jiji for a span of heart-beats, just long enough to eye Ma with a look of “So. Finally made it?” But that was too much for me, to look away from Jiji for even a breath; there was an urgent need to keep my eyes on her, fearing that, if I looked away, she would disappear and be late for another meeting between us. Nuh-uh. Not on my watch.

We were suddenly assaulted! Perhaps, if I had actually paid some sort of attention to my surroundings, I would have noticed the dark mare that wandered much too close to me and Jijij. I protested vehemently, snorting and throwing my head in all sorts of crazy directions as she kneeled before my bestie, placing some strange object around her neck. If I had any sort of coordination, I would’ve charged her—but I was still in that awkward stage between walking and toddling, and toddling doesn’t allow much leeway for actual offensive maneuvering. So all that protesting and whatnot was done quite stationary.

But then she turned on me, and I stomped about and lashed my bush of a tail, giving a tiny rear and the smallest whinny imaginable to get her away from me. I stumbled though (I was such a gangly little thing), and by the time I got my footing just right again, the clever bastard managed to slip another of those strange things around my neck. As she did so, some of the most boring words ever conceived in the history of forever came bumbling out of her maw.

*"I can see you will become a hellion quite soon, a pearl and sapphire flame that everyone will hesitate to cross paths blah blah blah…..Protect those who do not have your courage, Roskuld yadda yadda…. Let your words be true, no matter if others would prefer to be blind and happy in a fantasy world. Stand up for what you believe, and never let another blablah your blah blah blah…..."*

As you can see, it was just a whole bunch of blather coming straight out of her face. At least, that’s what it was to me: as a swaddling babe, there was no way of recognizing the soulful pain behind her eyes, the heaviness in her heart that escaped through the sincere prayers she spoke above us. Maybe one day I would realize just how precious her gifts were; maybe I would seek her out in some solitary shadow and find a way to thank her for her thoughtfulness.

Right now, however? I just wanted Jiji.

I gave a great sloppy snort as the shadow-mare bent above me, and when she withdrew I found myself nose-to-nose with the very filly whose company I yearned for the most. I looked at her, letting her muzzle touch my own; in my gaze there might have been a sliver of some of those inconsiderate baby things that had ran through my head. What a lot of blather, huh? My eyes said, dancing as they beheld my very own Jiji.

Mine. You hear that? All mine.

[Don't mind me, just super late Smithers being super late...]