the Rift

Can you HANDLE this?[Open]

Tesande Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Dearest Tesande

My mother always told me to be myself, to not let the opinions of others bother me that I am special just the way I am. This is something I took seriously. I tend to come off as dense I’m guessing due to my overly enthusiastic attitude and energetic nature. Even when I first arrived in this new and strange land after drifting around aimlessly on the everlasting air currents in the vast skies. This didn’t dampen my mood in the least bit, if anything the chance to rest and eat in this magnificent territory lifted my spirit and I found myself skipping through the trees whilst singing a jolly tune to myself.

”What do you do with a drunken sailor,
What do you do with a drunken sailor,
Earl-eye in the morning!

Swinging my head back and forth I filled the trees with my tune, hardly caring who heard it and what they thought of it. I was use to getting odd stares, I seemed oblivious that I was annoying anyone but truthfully I just didn't care.

Shave his belly with a rusty razor,
Earl-eye in the morning!”
I moved with springs in my feet, a bounce in my step. Picking my feet up high, I skipped through the trees my wings hanging open in a lazy shrug on my shoulders. I smiled as I looked to the trees lingering over me, I considered the possible difficulty of take off again but it’s not like I wanted to anyways. After my long and perilous journey (Yes, the journey here was perilous) this welcomed stop gave me a chance to rest my wings and free my feathers from the lingering sea salt that clung to me like a bad stink.
Not that I was bothered by any of this of course, in fact my thoughts tracing me back to the flight over the great blue resulted in louder singing to shove away any negative attitude.

”Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
I found myself soon rearing up and spinning a tip-toed dance on my hind legs, which was much easier with the aid of wings to help me balance. See, now this was something my father never really approved of. How that malicious old stiff ended up with a gentle soul like my mother was beyond me, but it was always behavior like this he discouraged. And he often addressed me about it with lectures of how ridiculous I look paired with a side of ”you’ll never have any friends”. But I tune out his degrading words like singing birds tune out the grumpy morning riser. I couldn’t really consider myself as stupid as my father tried to imply I was, after all I seem to have overcome my life’s complications skipping and singing as I always do. And on my trek I went now bobbing my head and kicking out my front feet as I walked, allowing my song and mood to progress in a steady fluid course.

”What do you do with a drunken sailor,

I was suggested to make chaos in with this character in the Throat :3

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

Fittingly, the mid-morning sun shed a soft orange glow through the Threshold’s primarily pine, forest. The long gangly trees cast rib-like shadows beneath, and a playful mare passed in swift, leaping bounds across them and into the filtered streaks of warm sunlight across the littered floor- light, dark... light, dark.
She came to collect an arrangement of the last blooms of the season, naturally though, she had found herself quite distracted by the myriad entertainment prospects presented before her very, imaginative step.

No, you break your back if you step on the black...” Her shrill light hearted voice broke the mellow drone suspended throughout the area. “Stay in the light!” She repeated again, the slightest hint of mockery dribbling through her tone. After the brief pause, balanced precariously across tightly grouped hooves in a very slim beam, Africa bunched the sinewy muscles strapping her long hind legs and leapt away, clear of the next murky shadow.

She continued merrily in much the same way for a good hour or so, completely losing track of time. It was only when a chanting voice, louder than the clumsy thud, thud of her own hooves, rang through the still air, that she snapped back into reality. “Oh, bugger...” She blurted, as the chill of the shade she was standing in drew a shiver up the length of her spine. Game over again...

Curiously then, her black-rimmed ears pricked with intrigue, towards the sound of the stranger's song.

“Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises

She had never heard the tune before, nor could she comprehend the meaning or lyrics alike. Never the less, Africa ventured forward through the trees, following the addictively cheerful tone at a brisk trot, north. Her long swinging gait easily caught the mare it seemed, and as the stocky, mottled figure materialized through the tree line ahead, a broad smile slipped across the dapple grey Pegasus’ gentle face.

“What do you do with a drunken sailor,

The other concluded her tune, and Africa waited with baited breath. As the last note trailed off, she swept forward recklessly, nickering ahead of her arrival in greeting. ““Hello, hello!” She called, closing the final gap and propping to a standstill at her normal, courteous distance. “Few who traverse this forest sing like you.” She waffled with a smile and thought inwardlyand me., “It’s a nice change you know, so many wear doom and gloom as an impassable cloak upon their backs...

The young mare tilted her head thoughtfully as her gaze surveyed her company- she bore wings; enormous wings. There was no judgement lingering within her creamy-golden gaze though, Africa was simple and her expression was open and honest. Ordinarily she sought her own kind, yet not by racist intent. The threat from the north was ever-looming, and those unicorns detested the winged species passionately- the grey knew well from personal experience.

She shrugged casually, sidestepping from shade to sunlight, and asked, “Have you come to pick flowers too?

Image Credits

Unregistered

Dearest Tesande

My melody took a pause as the sweet sound of neighborly greetings reached my ears and I stopped from my skipping to strike a pose like a valiant stag in the grass, and my thick neck turned my head around to look in the direction of the greeting with ears perked side by side and an eager smile on my face. Just through the openings of the trees in the forest the sun cast a spotlight on a dappled mare who’d called my attention, and our similar gowns sent a tickling giggle in my gut. I rotated myself to face the mare, curious to see who it is.

“Few who traverse this forest sing like you. It’s a nice change you know, so many wear doom and gloom as an impassable cloak upon their backs... Have you come to pick flowers too?”

Doom and gloom?
I thought to myself, now who could possibly feel sadness in such a beautiful land I wondered? Never the less, the company more than excited me, with a squeak of joy I pranced in the direction of the stranger my tail and chin held high, my hooves moving as if I were walking on hot coal. From a distance she appeared relatively small in proportion to the trees, but as I drew closer she grew bigger and bigger. It’s not necessarily that she was tall more than it is I’m just short. Still this girl had a friendly aura about her and a voice that put the taste of peaches in your mouth. Soft, sweet, and tender, a welcome invitation. Aaawe, thank ya lass! In the same case being that this mare hasn’t heard a cheery tune in such a long while, I equally haven’t heard a compliment to my singing since my sweet mother. Stopping before the mare I suddenly dropped to one knee in front of her, dipping my body before her in a gracious bow, my wings opening to add to the gesture, ”The name’s Tesande!” I spoke, ending my words with a grin of excitement before kicking myself up again.
The mare’s words did confuse me and I took a look about, not that I’ve been here long but the biting chill in the wind and death of the leaves in the forest. I hadn’t seen any flowers. Well if it were the season fer flowers I’d probably be pickin’ em! If ya know where any flowers are?” I answered my lips curled into a smile, giving the mare my every acceptance to the offer of this ‘flower picking’ event with a friendly acquaintance. ”An’ what brings you out hea? Miss…” I offered the opening chance to let her give a name. The girl looked in fine condition, surely she wasn’t a traveler. My guesses wagered she lived here or not far from here.

I'm basing her condition on how we left this, if I you want me to change it to her current condition I can.

Deceased

All at once, and quite to Africa’s ordinarily oblivious surprise, the other mare collapsed forward across her knobbly knees, wings flung open to balance- or that is what she immediately thought having never witnessed such a dignified form of salutation. She staggered forward promptly to assist. “The name’s Tesande!” the smallish few-spot Pegasus continued without skipping a beat, and the young dapple grey paused just as abruptly, watching with bewildered enthusiasm, her pale amber eyes wide and focused with expanding interest. “Well if it were the season fer flowers I’d probably be pickin’ em! If ya know where any flowers are?” Already the young mare was nodding the start of her response, if there were to be any subject worthy of her love and devotion, Helovia’s flora was it.

“An’ what brings you out hea? Miss…” “...Africa.” She revealed on cue, and smiled broadly all square teeth flashing heartily, their saliva coating glistening as the sun beat upon down upon them. “Well actually I come through these parts often, the pine scent clears the sinuses like no other!” Africa laughed brightly, and though entirely serious, felt at ease enough in the company of Tesande, to soften her traditionally formal ‘meet and greet’ manner. “I come from Dragon’s Throat, the desert peninsula way down south, and it’s nice to escape the dust.” A soft snort burst through her flared nostrils, and she sucked deeply the crisp, cold air which lingered peacefully around them.

Unable to resist, Africa’s thoughts jumped quickly back to the previous subject, which was still hanging in limbo, awaiting her ambitious attention. “Are you staying long? Perhaps we could walk together and I could show you where the elusive winter colours hide.” Already she was stepping forward, but it was a tentative motion that could easily have been withdrawn if the offer seemed unsuitable to her friend. “What brings you through the Threshold, Tesande?” Politely curious, the young grey’s pale face tilted humbly to the left as she waited with baited, perhaps overly zealous breath for the other to continue.

Image Credits

That's fine ^_^. I'll just note in case anyone wonders why Africa is posting here when she is a prisoner, that this thread was started well before she was captured :)

Unregistered

Dearest Tesande

I watched the personality of the mare before me melt as the contageous smiles danced from my mouth to hers and her posture relaxed. And her passion for flower picking and rolling in sunshine, it was almost as if we were destined for friendship!
Her name struck a memory from way back when on my journey of traveling the world (yes, I’ve traveled the world) Africa, yes I believe I’ve been there! Where stripped horses roam and the lion’s sleep, kind to think of it I believe there was a song to go with that. But intent on politeness I decided to leave that for another day, I had so many songs if I apt to sing them all every time one came to mind I’d be singing for eternity. Not that I myself would mind that, of course.

I pranced a circle around Africa like an excited child she explained the quality of her home. Dusty, dangerous, harsh, and full of this ‘doom and gloom’. Probably full of dunes and sun baked skeletons lying about. Coming to a stop on her right side I thought it over and my head which tilted to almost a ninety degrees, Sounds like an’ ADVENTURE!” I whinnied with excitement and ruffled my wings causing my feathers to poof out like clouds. And before I could say more Africa offered me a seat on a tour through her world

“Are you staying long? Perhaps we could walk together and I could show you where the elusive winter colours hide.”

An offer I simply can’t resist, I mean there’s a reason I know all these songs! ”YES! We shall walk together and ye and I shall partake in glorious foolery! We shall sing songs an’ tell stories ‘bout the songs we sang and then make more songs off of those stories!” I spoke boldly, again striking a pose with my wings on hinge as if prepared to open at any second, and a front leg lifted and curled neatly beneath my arched neck and puffed out chest ”An’ pick flowers while we do eet!” I added with a flashy grin of joy. I then slung my wing casually over the back of my new friend like an arm over the shoulder, ”We will have much fun together…” I finished with glee.
Yup, this is me in the flesh. Every bit of it, all the time.

I had to remove my wing hoping I didn’t overwhelm my new friend; I have a tendency to just not hold back at all. “What brings you through the Threshold, Tesande?” With that I began walking though allowing Africa to lead and keeping pace, of course I was still picking my feet up high as I did walk. ”Well ya know I travel ‘round the world! I been ova seas an’ stuff, jus’ got done flyin’ ova seas to get hea’ as a matter of fact! An’ when ya do that much flyin’ first piece of land ya see ya go fer it!” I hissed with a grin, ”Keeps ya outta trouble if ya make plenty a stops! Cause I learned the hard way what happens when ya drink sea water! ‘Cept this one time when I drank some sea water cause I was sooo, so thirsty an’ then I ran into a cute lil’ dolphin! Eer was it a shark? Anyways, the lil’ fella sensed I was in trouble, was havin’ trouble flyin’ I thought I was a goner fer sure! But anyways, the lil’ dolphin and his family led me to the path of a bunch o’ migratin’ sea birds! From there them I followed the birds back to shore where I laid around with a belly ache on the beach fer three days!” I smiled broadly my thoughts floating about those memories; I never did find out if they really were dolphins or sharks, but I guess the point is I made it. There seemed to be a cut trail in the grass which we were walking and I took a moment from my talking to take in a deep breath, nodding to myself in approval, it seemed enchanting here, ”I could get use ta this…” I mumbled to myself.

Deceased

The spotted mare reeked of enthusiasm; in fact, the energy bursting through each coil-spring prance could easily have rivalled the intoxicating levels which writhed through Africa’s own lively character. “Sounds like an’ ADVENTURE!” Tesande responded true to form, and the grey Pegasus’s complexion beamed openly with amusement. She had been on many adventures through the Helovian wilderness, and Voodoo drifted through her thoughts briefly, the strange emotion that had stirred within her naive core; the way their personalities clashed like waves breaking upon the shoreline. The rummy-nosed colt had accompanied her not too many moons lost, fleeing the wrath of hounds born of flame; the malevolent heart of this land. Together they had unearthed a gemstone, a treasure and Africa had buried it safely within her nest below the desert cliffs hedging the oasis.

Lost in silent reflection, her honey eyes sparkled.

Tesande agreed heartily, and the young grey’s skin prickled eagerly, delighted that she had found an explorer with such an uncannily similar mind-set as her own. Of course Africa had been sheltered through her youth, and as a result possessed a quite narrow-minded perspective of the world around her- Nyorm, her birthplace and Helovia, her home. She could never have imagined the experiences notched into the belt of her new found friend; not even in the wildest dreams crafted by her overactive and childlike imagination. Sing songs! She thought quietly as she listened to her friend’s distinct planning, and her eyes were wide with expanding delight. Africa thought that Tesande might even break into melody right then as she struck a dramatic pose, quite fitting for the playful mood which now embraced the duo. The mostly snowy mare continued, unfazed by the attention they had gathered from critters and Threshold folk alike. “An’ pick flowers while we do eet!” Africa wasn’t bothered either, and trembled beneath the contagious confidence which oozed from her charismatic company, one wing slung casually to straddle her mottled back. “We will have much fun together…” she continued, and not nearly as self-assured as Tesande, but quite comfortable in her own skin, the grey bounced on the spot in response, more than ready to set off.

Africa was not a born leader, and though brimming with ambition and zest, she was a rather timid and sensitive soul. She was more than happy to follow the lead of her friend, to sit humbly off-centre and soak up the radiating extravagance which appealed to her so very much. Tesande started forward and Africa watched bluntly with a captivated expression as the mare strutted, perhaps more naturally than a fish could swim! Subtly the grey guided their direction south-west, to where she knew the country’s core seemed frozen in time. All the while they progressed at a cheerful pace, the appaloosa spoke, and Africa listened curiously in unwearied silence- often she had to hold her breath to avoid giggling; the other mare’s slang seemed so alien, so exotic.

Goodness!” Africa stammered with unhinged bewilderment in reaction to Tesande’s experiences. She was astonished to say the least; and fascinated beyond belief. Having spent her youth across table cliff-tops above the ocean, the youthful mare was not unfamiliar with the taste of salt and the sourness therein. She screwed her nose up sympathetically, not for one second envying the horrid stomach ache which poor Tesande had endured. “How awful for you.” She breathed, glancing to the side to express her commiseration personally. Then smiling, she added- “But I suppose it was a small price to pay for the meeting of dolphins.” Truly, Africa had no clue what a dolphin was, but she played along amiably with some demented illusion of a family of small winged fish in her mind.

“I could get use ta this…” Tesande mumbled quietly, and even if it had been for Africa’s benefit, the eager young creature was already frothing at the opportunity to tell one of her own- not so extravagant, stories. As she began, they crossed through the dwindling tree line into a clearing that appeared to stretch downwards into a lush, secluded valley. The area was aside from the main Threshold thoroughfare and Africa new with confidence that others seldom ventured this far from where travellers were shepherded like cattle into Helovia.

Naturally, the most interesting and worthwhile tale she could think of was her adventure with Voodoo. “Once...” She began perhaps a little to eagerly and paused again just as suddenly to take the breath that she had forgotten about beforehand in her sheer eagerness, “I ventured beyond the wall of the Throat and found a pit of fire. It was awfully beautiful and I couldn’t help but wander close to see.” She stopped and frowned, perhaps reliving the moments with renewed vigour. “Next thin’ I knew, I was bein’ chased by a horse with a horn!” Tesande’s accent was infectious, and subconsciously Africa began to adopt the more simple aspects of it. “Anyway, I ran away frightened and he caught me just as the heat became unbearable- smoke was chokin’ the air from our lungs! He led me to safety can you believe?

She sighed with relief, just as sweat began to bead across her fraught bowline.

But! Then we were chased by dogs, soldiers made from the same flames we had just avoided and they forced us out onto the eastern cliffs. We found a narrow ledge juttin’ out from the rock that lowered into a cavern beneath the earth, and hid there until the danger had passed.” Africa had blurted the turn of events with such animation that she needed a second to recover both her breath and her nerves. “We found treasure down there too,” she added whispering and glancing in mock suspicion around them. “I have it at home, want to see?

Even if the events had been mostly imaginary, the story was quite credible, and Africa was none the wiser of her near death experience’s realism. The grey stopped then, and lowered her thin black lips towards the frosted grass. Twitching them ever so gently, her hot breath thawed away the ice casing to reveal the most tiny, splendid purple flower. Naturally, it was far too delicate to be picked but Africa thought it to be even better than those which they might have been able to carry home.

Image Credits

Unregistered

T E S A N D E

After finishing my epic and enchanting tale (yes enchanting) Africa began a story of her own which I indulged her with my undying attention. ”Once…” She began with restricted gulps of air begging for release to join in the action. As the grey mare spoke I painted her words as pictures in my head imagining the details as vividly accurate as I could to match her story. Which if one was to enter my head my imagination usually came out like the colorful scribbles of a child’s crayons on paper.
I mean not that I saw the world with smiling sun shines and flowers but it’s just difficult and rather depressing if you look at everything in black and white.
Her story carried me to the mouth of a volcano where she sought the help of a horned horse. On that note I let out a soft gasp, unicorns—are in fact infamous for being aggressive towards Pegasus, a fact I kept in mind when I cross one. I wasn't entirely sure why they were so nasty to us flyers, maybe they're just jealous. What might they have to be jealous about though? They've got one of the greatest weapons in nature mounted on their faces. Though I regularly keep a positive attitude, there comes a point where if you’re not careful you can get into real trouble. It’s one thing to walk the world with a smile on your face but if you’re surrounded by a pack of ravenous wolves and you’re trying to make conversation with them the outcome is most likely to fall in favor of the hungry wolves.

When Africa spoke of the heroic act of the unicorn my lip quivered with excitement and I kicked up my back legs ”Ye got lucky, lass!” I snuck in a brief comment before quickly shutting up to let her continue. Now her story got confusing though as she talked about dogs made of flame. My head cocked sharply to the left, dogs born of fire? I mean I’ve seen all kinds of dogs, wolf dogs, birds dogs, spotted dogs, dogs with skin that sagged to the ground, fluffy dogs, tiny dogs, dogs that snort like pigs. But I’ve never seen a dog of fire ”Ya don’t say, lass…” I breathed with intense curiosity ”Dogs of fire?” I repeated her words to myself, trying again to picture this, having seen lots of dogs it wasn’t hard, but how?? Magic perhaps? My eyes glittered in the sunlight with one ear turned forward and the other sagged in another direction as I thought out the strange possibilities to explain her encounter. In my travels I have come across magic, I’m not a caster myself but I’ve seen the capabilities. And after all this place is called… oh what was it, Helovia? It sounds like a name the Gods would use to describe their sleeping quarters. Ever notice how the names of places always ended with an A?
Africa, Canada, Russia, China, India, Austrial—oops I’m gettin’ off track here!

My attention whipped back to my new friend just in time to hear her speak of treasures and my eyes widened and I bounced in my steps as my mind flooded with thoughts of all kinds of treasures! With a cheery grin and a deep gasp I state, ”Does get splinters in their tongue??!“ I reared up with excitement, my wings opening to add balance and show, yet still careful to avoid accidentally smacking my friend.
I watched Africa stop suddenly to drop her head to the frost covered grass to uncover a frosted flower being choked out by winter’s deadly grip. For a moment I thought she intended to pick it, but after seeing her pull away from the flower I realized her intention was merely to admire its beauty. I enjoyed her gentle nature, she reminded me of my mother.

”You ready lassy?” I asked politely, my wings posed for take-off.

Sorry this took a bit of time, been hassling with job hunting and all. :) Shall we follow up in the Throat?

Deceased

Wearied, but not wasted by the thrill of both her own tale and that of the appaloosa Pegasus’s, Africa fought back a hefty yawn. Had her ashen tapering nose not been so long, the smile which grew across her dainty expression could easily have reached from one black-rimmed ear to the other. Although she remained caught in reflective silence, a scramble of thoughts and questions bubbled across her impatiently lolling tongue. The young grey was fascinated by her well-travelled friend, and could not rip her focus; her brightly sparkling gaze, from Tesande’s waiting face.

For now flowers and such beauty was forgotten as excitement built curiously around the prospect of Africa’s hidden treasure. She was both trusting and gullible, and both qualities frothed like river rapids throughout her young feminine demeanour. She never imagined for a second that another soul might hunger for the gem, and her new friend certainly did not emit any such latent cunningness. “You ready lassy?” Tesande asked with sudden courtesy that caused Africa’s easy mirth to waver. She felt as she watched, that the other mare was shrouded in marvellous mystery, she was exotic and she was seasoned; the grey was childishly attracted to the strange, almost alien grace which hovered as an untouchable aura about them.

Yessss!” Africa replied, beaming, her long lean legs bounced playfully where she still stood. “It should take no time at all, because we can both ride the wind,” she mentioned quietly, though aloud as a personal afterthought. Tesande’s wings were already spreading, extensively; they were enormous she thought taken aback, but was not unsettled at all. There were a few whose glorious wing-span took her breath away, and Africa would always lust adoringly over them, because her own adornment was not nearly so luxurious- only well proportioned.

Ok, let’s go!” She called out cheerfully to her company as she too unfurled the mass of her black tipped, dreary grey feathers. The breeze billowed softly around them, but created enough of an updraft to collect beneath and lift her open wings, striding only a feet forward, Africa clenched across her burly hindquarters and launched herself upwards. Between powerful thrusts, the young mare leaned left until she was guiding them as directly south as possible.

Image Credits

Honestly, take all the time you need between posts ^_^ I will start a new thread in the Throat and I have already asked for Tesande’s rank to be changed so you can post there too!