Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

[Note: After escaping the smouldering grip of Helovia’s Heart, Africa guides her newly found ‘friend’ and fellow adventurer east. As they travel, the earth softens to cushion their tread and a loose-woven mat of wispy coastal grass spreads before them, garlanded with miniature clusters of tiny blue-bell like weeds. The strong coastal wind is heavily laden with salt-spray, though they do not know yet that a sheer cliff face plummets into the crashing ocean ahead. Well concealed, the craggy remnants of a weather-worn goat-track, offers passage down the unstable rock face and onto a narrow platform behind which, a slight fissure open’s into a spacious downhill tunnel far below the plateau above.]

Voodoo, had followed and Africa snuffled quietly without turning towards him. She was most pleased. The young grey mare lifted her face high against the cold sting of driving coastal wind. Salt-spray was ever more present upon its relentless breath, and Africa sucked deeply through fluttering nostrils, relishing for the moment in its likeness to her homeland.

Can you smell it?” She exhaled at length, closing her eyes to listen with intent, and taste the pregnant air with a curled lip. “A storm is brewing!” Africa’s eyes burst open- a newly manipulated terror reflecting in them as the ever expanding mass of great, ominous pluming grey clouds ahead. Really the sky was clear and bright, but the young horse’s vivid imagination was capable of immersing her world into any wild scenario she liked. A ferocious thundering rumbled through the open air, vibrating the mare’s very core.

Turning finally, her feverish gaze passed Voodoo to search the sea of head-high grass at their rear for any sign of the fire-breathing hellhounds (the evil version, she had just now created, of Cirrus’s quiet companion). They had been borne from the very essence of magical Helovia- sent to annihilate the two interlopers who had unwittingly found a secret treasure, gems and the like, beyond their wildest dreams.

She staggered forward into a prancing trot and both the real and unreal wind fought the progression of her determined stride. “They are coming! We must hide ourselves...” Her voice struggled against the vicious lick of wind, and she wasn't sure if Voodoo had heard. Regardless, she had to lead her friend to safety- out of the impending storm, and further from the claws of their hungry pursuers.

Follow me.” She instructed sternly.
In this adventure, she could be whoever she liked; the valiant hero, released from the binds of her realistically weak, cowardly mind-set. Africa leaned forward heavily, and rain began to spew forth in protest, stinging her brave eyes as she endured the ever increasing wrath delivered by the eternal flames to stop her escape. She moved diligently onward, despite the very obvious vanishing of land not far ahead- she had already considered that they had no other option at this point than to continue- ‘come what may’.

The nearer they went to the edge of the cliff, the rockier, and more dishevelled the terrain became. Africa stepped carefully against the rubble, stretching her neck as she did to peer across at the looming drop. She could not risk Voodoo losing his footing here and altered her direction to skirt the cliff instead, dabbling through the shale and boulders across the table of land.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Voodoo Posts: 231
Outcast atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: Eight :: Birdsong HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Ouija :: Arctic Fox :: None Nevada

Our hooves pierced the softening earth until each of us came to a stop. I drew in a few deep breaths, my nostrils flaring as I took in each draw of now crisp air. Africa lifted her dainty face into the air, also drawing in a deep breath, but apparently not for the same reason I had. I dropped my head to the now healthy vegetated earth, tearing cool green grass from its' roots as the mare questioned me about something. I didn't pay much attention, just "mmhh"ed her words once she was done talking. Two toned ears were cocked opposite ways, the right pointing toward the feathered female, while the left was listening elsewhere to nothing in particular.

Suddenly, the mare seemed to turn a completely new leaf. Her eyes shot open with a streak of terror slashing through them, while exclaiming that there was a storm. A storm? Hadn't we just been residing in the depths of Hell compared to this? The cool sensation of dribbling water sounded outstanding. Africa wheeled around, coming much to close again for my taste. Naturally, my ears pinned back and I narrowed my fiery pitted optics for a moment. The flavorless grass moved it's way down my throat and into my first stomach before I finally responded. "I don't smell anything?"

My words were followed with a bone trembling crack of thunder, making me jump into an alert stance. I lifted my crowned face into the air, ears still buried in the tangled mess of mane that tumbled over my neck. Africa cried another mess of words again, though all I caught was "hide ourselves." The mare paced forward, though I stood for a moment, watching her with a confused and bewildered expression. What was it that she was doing? Was she, trying to play? I hadn't had the chance to play with any other foals since before Mother's death. It had seemed like so long ago. I was just coming out of my gangly, long legged stage and thriving into my yearling section.

I had been an outcast since then, until now.. apparently.

She moved on without me, making my legs ache to follow her. Instinct kicked in, pushing me forward to follow her. If this mare was going to play, then why not let her? Even though she was far too silly for my personality. The ground slowly became hard once again as we seemed to come up on a steep hill. Africa quickly shifted to a curious stance, peering over the edge of the drop. I came beside her, stopping to look over the sheer cliff. A cold lump formed in my throat.

walking "talking" voices
[Image: f2vjpl.png]

EVERYTHING YOU'RE RUNNING AWAY FROM
IS IN YOUR HEAD
[Image: 5389e9aca8b63]
Please tag him in every post!

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

The red-nosed colt swayed on the brink of confusion while Africa turned to shoot him a crooked look- he didn’t seem all that creative. Obligingly though she was more than happy to carry him through her fairy-story this time round. As she began to trek along the rubble edge of the cliff, Voodoo caved and sauntered after her pausing at her side to look down at the violently thrashing waves, clawing in a vain effort to reach the pair. Wonderful! She beamed at him for a split second, thrilled that he was perhaps slipping through, into her vivid invented world.

A bitterly cold breeze swept in from her ocean, blasting against the young mare’s snowy-white complexion and as the thick salt spray clouded her nostrils she snorted abruptly, turning away. She could hear now, the clinkity-clink of the plated hounds, marching in perfect unison like fearless predators; oblivious to the perilous storm threatening, or uncaring. Alert ears tilted towards the sound, and her light-golden gaze followed suit. They were there; she could see steel shimmering beneath the last gasp of the day’s sunlight- they were coming quickly.

Voodoo! Look there...” She gestured persistently with her upturned muzzle, encouraging him to look back the way they had come to see for himself the hellhounds, hot on their fleeing heels. “See.” She blurted smugly, consumed by her own imagination and entirely believing their existence. “There’s no time to lose!” Africa started forwards again, setting a brisk though careful pace about a length from the drop. Her cold hard hooves clattered carelessly, scattering loose stone as they passed- but it didn’t matter because the hounds were keen trackers, not limited to primitive sight and sound.

Rain began to plummet too. It fell sideways and so heavily that it prickled her thin desert coat and stung her wide eyes as they strained to guide her along a safe path.

Clinkety-clink, clinkety-clink

They were getting closer, their progress evident now even above the racket from the roaring storm. Wild wind swirled around them dragging at and twisting her long thick mane, causing it to tangle and knot within itself. Africa trembled with anticipation- they had to find shelter. Mid-stride she lifted her lowered face to look ahead of them, but there was little to offer them potential shelter and she heaved a disheartened breath from her lungs.
It was then, as concern began to pinch the hero’s confidence that a small path slipped down the side of the cliff, quite parallel to their route. Sentiment that was equally as astonished as it was impressed, lifted her mood and she curled her neck around to find Voodoo through the battering fog of rain.

Here!” She half screamed as deafening thunder rolled above their heads, lightening slashing through the dark clouds over the ocean. Africa couldn’t wait for him to respond though, it was becoming too dangerous and she worried that the lashing wind might sweep one of them from their purchase over the cliff. Eagerly, she darted right and soon the wall rose to buffer their left side and provide some relief- not too much though. She turned at that point to check on her fellow explorer again.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

The tangled mess of hair that normally hung lazily over my unnaturally colored eyes blew back into my mane. Realistically, it was a short gust of air, but my imagination created a hellacious image on the earth below me. While Africa seemed to be imagining a lovely image, judging by her happy expression, I watched lava boil and pop below us. Rocks melted in the million degree fire, built up pressure casting spews of magma twenty feet into the air with a loud crack. I could feel the uncomfortable heat pushing me back. It felt much like the air that we had both just witnessed, dense, but the air now smelt like singeing hair rather than smoke.

Was it my imagination, or was I actually hearing this? Maybe it was them playing with my head again. No, dumb boy, it's over there They mocked me just as Africa seemed to notice it as well. I could hear the light tap of.. metal? The lava continued to boil below us, chewing angrily at the wall of rocky earth that stood between us and it. "Voodoo, look there.. see, there's no time to lose!" I watched her muzzle point toward absolutely nothing. The dry grass danced in the breeze. Just as I was about to inform her that maybe she was the crazy one, the mare dashed off again. She straddled the drop off, giving me an uneasy feeling. Though, if she fell, I guess she could just shoot open those damn wings and float away. I'd be fucked though.

Every muscle tensed in my shoulders, propelling me forward to follow the Pegasus. I veered away from the edge, glancing over it every once in a while. A rock that Africa carelessly scooped up clanked off of the edge, dropping into the hungry magma. It hissed at the stone finally fell in, disappearing into the liquid fire. My chest tightened up. The lava was outstanding.. if it were real. My attention flicked back to the mare who I followed willingly, basically riding her rump.

Acid rain spilled from the now black clouded sky, making me jolt in surprise. My imagination made it sting and burn with each large drop. Africa shouted again in the havoc, lightning throwing itself to meet the earth in a deadly bolt. The thunder created a rolling sensation under my black hooves. The rain continued to dump on us, though Africa didn't seem to mind it as I did. Her imagination must have been much more up beat and positive than mine.

That's fucking annoying, what are you doing? they questioned my young actions. This was realistically the first time that I had actually played. I was.. happy. Even if it was with a Pegasus. I was still right about them though. This mare was the prime example of irritating. Way too much spunk for my taste.

walking "talking" voices

IS IN YOUR HEAD

Deceased
Africa

Africa shivered, cold and filled with a strange combination of brazen fear. She could feel now, the hot presence of the colt behind her and her pace slowed somewhat, given the hazardous nature of this descending path. She could not tell if it would lead them straight into the churning wash of salty ocean itself, hungering up the face of the stony cliff beneath their hooves; nor if the hounds chasing them would notice the slight drop and put a grave end to their escape. She held tightly onto the spark of hope which lingered perpetually in her soul, the up-beat manner through which she accepted her trials and tribulations- there was no other option now.

The path was steep and gravelly, and the rain pummelled them relentlessly, spewing in channels down the gradient before their tread. It was slippery and the danger ignited excitement within her. Down, down she slipped and skidded. No matter how carefully she placed her hooves, they seemed to struggle to find purchase in the clay-mud. She could not tell how far down the side of the precipice they had climbed, but to her surprise- finally, a small fissure in the rock opened to their left. No light shed to guide their passing, but as the storm raged in swirling, violent torrents, Africa decided to take the risk.

Apprehensively her body wheeled left and she passed into the cave with clenched wings. Dank, mouldy air filled her nostrils- and they pinched together tightly, repulsed and nauseated by the strange underground place. It was eerily quiet. Cupped ears danced wildly as they tried in vain to seize even the slightest of noises. A flash of lightning outside illuminated a small area around them while she lingered close by to the entrance. “I can’t hear anything...” She whispered nervously, turning through the blinding darkness to search for her friend. She could hear his breathing; her own paranoid heaving- but nothing else, above the now muffled roaring out there.

“Voodoo...?” Came her soft voice again. “...I’m glad I met you.” It was true, and while she was not surrendering to any deep, sentimental moment, little else seemed appropriate at that given moment. Africa fluttered her nostrils at last, exhaling at length. She could not tell if the cave crawled any further back beneath the plateau, the echo of their breathing and her voice murmured only lightly in reply, so she could only presume the walls were not hugging close. “I’m not sure where we are... I’m a little nervous.” Africa found the colt then with her outstretched muzzle, and she traced along his body, tenderly, to stand closer and share his warmth. The illusion began to flicker now, the storm was not so prevalent; and surely if their pursuers had followed, they would have stumbled into the cave by now.

Africa sighed.

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!

Africa seemed iffy as we approached the drop, but she continued moving. Further and further down toward the bubbling liquid fire. My chest stayed tight, wild red eyes staring at the magma from the sides of my vision. Following this curious mare was getting some what tiring. The partially dried sweat that surrounded different large muscles began to saturate itself again, creating a crusty, sliming feeling. Ears flicked around frantically, listening to every thing at once.

Suddenly, the ivory female turned sharply, driving me with her as I followed. The air became thick and cold, the scent driving my ears back to lay on my poll. It was old.. moist, stale in a way, if air can become stale? Mold, you idiot Yes, mold. I silently thanked them for giving the scent a word. We pushed further into the silence, my vision almost seeming to fade from me as we moved. "I can't hear anything.." Her voice rang like a gun shot in my ears, echoing off of the wall nearest to me. What was this? I only looked toward the source of her voice, seeing darkness.

It ate at the walls, at anything that may have been above, under, or behind us. Everything was black. Suddenly, the heat of her body traveled from some where near my right shoulder. Her soft voice sounded worried, asking for me as if I had possibly disappeared from behind her. "I'm right here," my voice was soft in hopes of not echoing so loudly and crack my ear drums again. "I'm glad I met you" the mare continued, "I’m not sure where we are... I’m a little nervous." My ears flicked toward her voice again, pressing forward.

I felt the soft touch of her muzzle against my hide, making me slightly jolt, though it was more than likely not noticeable. The feeling was like being kissed by the morning air of Tallsun. The light brush of her wing against my side made me shiver, sending a rush of some feeling I had never felt before to my brain. This was the first time I had been actually touched by another body since Mother was stolen from me.

Is that what made me feel strange? Or was it simple because she's a female? The voices stayed silent.. why weren't they responding? Normally they'd have some witty comment.

Shaking the thoughts from my dusty brain, I craned my face to the side, attempting to look into the golden dusted eyes of Africa's. Though, I saw nothing. My heart began thumping hard in my chest, but this time it was not from being out of breath, or scared. What was this feeling? Her soft feathers were still at my side, reminding me of how revolting a Pegasus really did seem. The thought drowned the radical feeling that had just taken over moments ago, leaving me with a sour taste in my mouth. "You can't be nervous." I paused, considering answering the first thing she had said. But, was I glad that I had met her? Maybe I'd leave that for later. "There's no time to waste on being nervous when you're on an adventure." My tone was playful with the last few words. I reached my red stained mug out and nudged softly at her shoulder, right below her neck, hoping to ease her tension.

walking "talking" voices

IS IN YOUR HEAD

Deceased
Africa

"You can't be nervous."

Africa’s ears, straining in place of her failing sight, craned towards the familiar (enough) sound of his youthful, though curt voice. It warmed the nervous cold leaking through her core, and influenced a smile to draw through the looming frown which had been so far concealed by the thick, choking darkness. "There's no time to waste on being nervous when you're on an adventure." Voodoo continued after the briefest of pauses, and the young mare fed of the playfulness tinging the words- to her surprise, the alien heat of his breath upon her shivering shoulder stirred her heart to pound, frenzied by a charge of peculiar emotion that was as startling as it were thrilling. She wanted his muzzle to stay there, to press closer as the cold loneliness of their cave crowded her common-sense and rationale.

With a coy, confused giggle Africa defied her longing for his touch, and slipped from his side into the dank embrace of still, mildewy air. Her stomached lurched with nausea, befuddled and contorting as hormones pulsed below her prickling skin. “Y..yes... You're right!” She stammered, not turning to face his direction while her face was so flushed and burning. The hysterical excitement fuelling their journey into this pit below the earth was lost though, and her fantasy had been distracted beyond recovery. It did not mean that they could not start anew though, and she stepped forward tentatively away from him, feeling the cold rigid slate beneath her testing tread before continuing. Passing a quiet glance to their rear, Africa noted curiously that blue sky peeked through the fissure-doorway, the same sky which had witnessed her mad dash towards the flaming heart of Helovia; that the storm which had appeared and felt so intensely existent, had apparently evaporated. She scoffed with amusement, and moved forward through the shadows.

“What do you suppose is down here?” Her voice relaxed steadily as time increased the distance between the heated moment, and the present. The memory faded, though an awkward resistance bothered the shoulder he had touched, a pressure- the pressure of his momentary, uncharacteristic tenderness. As the time passed, she delved deeper and deeper through the cavern, listening always for the careful chip of his steps behind her, pausing whenever he did and turning with baited breath to find trace of his presence.
Then, by some chance her hoof grazed an object that was not rock, nor moss. It was sharp, and as her movement fell into a hesitant motionlessness, a mouse-quite voice seeped into the heavy silence over their heads- “Voodoo...” She waited for him, same hoof pressing and rocking backwards and forwards, against its unfamiliar bulge from the rubble-strewn cave floor. The whisper lingered, repeating again and again and a chill crawled up the length of Africa’s spine. “I think I found something...”

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!

My relaxed muscles pumped off my natural body heat, making the dewy air that cloaked our current residence feel like beads of sweat on my warm pelt. Just as soon as I connected my blood stained mug to her radiant body, she pulled away, moving forward into the abysmal darkness. I listened for her words to follow mine, getting a short reply, her tongue seeming to stumble over the words that flowed from her chest. The grin that had taken over my crimson features sunk back into the emotionless straight face that I wore so well. Neither of us could see the other, so what did it matter?

Her hooves tapped the hard flooring with a slow rhythm, creating just enough of a sound for me to follow. The scent that surrounded her very being, dry and dusty as her home was, also lead me along to trail mere feet from her oddly colored tail. The strange sensation still stirred in my belly but was slowly dwindling as we moved along.

Miniature stones bounced off of my hard hooves, rolling away casually with a few obnoxious clicks that echoed off of the surrounding walls. Please tell us that you know what's going on, boy My ears flicked backward, curious as to what they were saying, but I kept my mouth shut. It probably wouldn't be very smart to start talking to them right now.. Africa would lose her mind. No.. I really wasn't sure what that was. You want that Pegasus. Why would you want that? There are plenty of unicorn mares back home that you could talk to Want her? I connected the awkward dots that all clearly led up to that exactly. Oh fuck..

"What do you suppose is down here?" Her soft voice brought my attention from my brain, back into reality. My eyes tried to look around us, but I still saw close to nothing. Her silhouette was really the only thing I could make out at this point. "Maybe an underground river or something.. it's really wet in here. Or maybe nothing. Maybe we'll just run into a wall." I rambled without thinking over what I was saying, the words all spilling from my brain, to my voice box, and into the murky air.

Another sharp sound clinked in front of me, sounding rather like a metal ore rather than the crunch of a rock against another. My chest suddenly met Africa's rump, bouncing me off of what I could not see. "Oh, shit." the calm words came just as the mare before me called my name, her tone seeming nervous as she was when we had first met. "I think I found something.." As much as my body was comfortable pressed against her slightly shorter rump, my curiosity pulled me to her side, listening to the annoying scratching sound. "I don't think that's a rock?" I dropped my face to find her dark shaded knee, following the length of her leg down to where she was rolling the object back and forth. A few deep breaths of the disturbing air and metal assured me that this was surely not a rock.

walking "talking" voices

IS IN YOUR HEAD

Deceased
Africa
It was wet.

Africa sucked a deep, thoughtful breath through slit nostrils who were still quite opposed to the stale, unmoving air sullying them. The darkness was unnerving and the putrid stench of flourishing mould and mildew was enough to turn her stomach. Horses were not suited to life below the earth, and appropriately the young mare found little comfort in the cave- now that the hounds had been lost of course, and the storm outside evaporated. She listened too, prompted by his pondering, with ears flitting both cautiously and curiously to scavenge and pick apart the few sounds that resonated off the walls somewhere nearby. Perhaps she heard the trickle of water; the unseen channelling of sweet, icy spring water, but it could almost as easily have been her imagination trying to twist their venturing into some new distorted quest. Either way, Africa was neither thrilled by the idea of plunging blindly into a ravenous river, or beginning such a treacherous game in a new realm which was beyond her control.

“...Maybe we'll just run into a wall.” She scoffed playfully, ever more amused by Voodoo’s blunt, tactless mannerisms. He was unwittingly fun and exciting; his very obvious shallow interest in her was both alluring and interesting, and every time is young, husky tone filled her ears it fuelled the fire which had long begun to burn within her throbbing heart.

When she stopped so suddenly, the colt ploughed forward against her taught haunches, slurring some smooth obscenity which impelled her eyes to roll with amusement. Again the heat generated by the intimate union of their adolescent bodies caused some influx of hot flushing blood to her face, but the sensation was more familiar than the first time, or even the second; and while her bunched hindquarters remained so, cautiously ready to fling her away from the strange object below, they did not flinch uncertainly at his unexpected touch. Her red-nosed company slid forward and around her anyway to pause, just touching the lazy clutch of her feathered wing.

"I don't think that's a rock?" He stated, or questioned- perhaps he was just filling the space Africa’s ope-ended statement had left behind. All the while, her hoof rolled across and around the small object beneath it. “You should pick it up...” She suggested, a little selfishly given that neither knew if it were dangerous. The dapple grey Pegasus admired Voodoo’s self-sacrificing courage, he had dragged her foolish corpse from its burning grave after all, and it was probably better if he took charge now.

She shrank back a little, removing her hoof so that he might investigate further- Africa would offer hearty moral support.

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!

Africa's playfully mocking scoff chipped at the thick air, the sound tattle-tailing to whatever may have been around us.. watching us. Listening. They just might get yooouu They mocked in a disturbing voice that caused my ears to rotate back and lay on my poll. What? Nothing is going to get us. At least I hope. They chuckled quietly before fading back into the depths of my imagination. "Assholes," I breathed in a very quiet sigh.

The connection of our bodies was arousing, but this was something that was not going to get in my way. I did not need a Pegasus running around blurting my cursed name to her fellow giddy friends. Does she have any... best friends? Do they giggle and brag about others that they meet? My bloody eyes rolled in the sockets at the thought. Mares..

"You should pick it up" Oh, sure, let me do that for you, princess. The short sentence threw a strange anger into my head, but I stayed quiet. What if it were something poisonous? I heard her agile foot hit the rock flooring once the rolling sound stopped. My eyes directed toward where I figured her own were, as if asking if she thought I really should try to pick it up. Being that my vision was absolute shit at the time being, I figured that a coy smile would play across her soft features, begging to find out what it was.

What was it about this female that commanded my body to do as she said? "Follow me!" Of course I would follow a half toasted, feathered weirdo away from the boiling fire that I had just saved her from. "Oh, my brain is telling me to run away from something!" ...Well, I really have no room to mock that. While she was creative and fun, this was something I lived with on a daily basis. This being said, I had never dove into a cave do to an over-active imagination.

My skull dropped back down to the ground, red lips barely touching the cold, rounded object that clinked around on the natural occurring cave floor. The brief touch told me that it was not going to hurt me, but I was still cautious. Lips peeled apart, teeth baring from the hot trap of my mouth. I felt the strange object brush my ivory bones before they clamped down on whatever they could hold. My head raised back up to Africa's height. The object held in between the deadly row of teeth started to heat up as my hot breath rolled over it, escaping large lungs.

walking "talking" voices

IS IN YOUR HEAD

Deceased
Africa
“Well?” The grey pestered Voodoo as renewed excitement poured through her mind- and relief that the colt hadn’t been eaten or worse by the object. “What do you think it is?” Africa’s trembling black lips reached to touch his mouth as he clasped it securely between his teeth. Curiously, she snuffled, invading his privacy entirely to examine it with him in the darkness. “We should take it outside, don’t you think?” She asked quickly, lifting her face away and glancing back towards the narrow gap opening which seemed so small from their distance. Neat round hooves began to shuffle impatiently, as she rocked her weight backwards, trying to encourage him towards light so they could work out what they were dealing with.

“Come on!” She continued when he didn’t move nearly quickly enough for her liking and playfully, her neck snaked out to nibble his shoulder. Africa swung her hindquarters around, and the sound of her carelessly clattering hooves rang through the cavern. It was a barrage of sound, and the young mare’s ears pinned hesitantly in reaction. After a minor pause to allow moderate silence to fall around them again, she more carefully picked a more measured path inline to the doorway. She could very vaguely hear Voodoo’s following steps, and so didn’t turn to find him until late-afternoon light had gripped her mottled form.

She was immediately surprised that the day had passed so quickly, and though the sunlight was still burning crimson and orange across the western ocean horizon beyond their cliff path, Africa thought that it was almost time to go home- she never liked staying out to late. She wasn’t going anywhere though until the object had been assessed and as such, slid swiftly up the path so that she and Voodoo would be able to stand safely upon more solid ground.
“Put it here! Put it down just here!” She babbled, dancing eagerly across her long black legs. Africa lowered her face in waiting, to the spot where she fully expected her friend to drop their find.

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!

My lips clamped around the cold object, the suddenly impatient Africa perking up to a newly found annoyance. "What do you think it is?" I grumbled something that even I couldn't necessarily make out, though I knew in my head that I was trying to growl "I don't fucking know." As soon as my face was back in the air, her snout was at mine, her hot breath blowing onto my face as she inhaled and exhaled on my face. Ears pinned back, the consideration of dropping the object and nipping at her flooded through my body. Instead, I clamped down harder on a piece of the curious thing. I could feel it just slip around between the tight clamp of my jaws, not effected by the great amount of pressure at all.

"We should take it outside, don't you think?" "Anything so I can see again," I tried to speak from between closed teeth, the words all turning into some-what audible muffled words. I stepped to the side, feeling the nearness of the cold, damp walls much too close for comfort at my left hindquarter. Long, ratty tail tucked instinctively, the end brushing at my hawks. Africa's teeth lightly pulled at the opposite shoulder, my face swinging toward her in surprise. Just a second ago this would have annoyed me again, but instead I let it slide off, trying to keep a cool temper. You're an idiot. I moved along behind the giddy mare.

The slit of light seemed so far away, we hadn't moved into this darkness that far.. had we? The mare's hooves clattered against the hard ground loudly, startling me just enough to make my own feet take me forward with a crow hop. Just after her hooves became less noisy, clicking on ahead of me. The silhouette of her frame finally appeared in the tiny bit of light. We moved outside, the now dull light feeling blinding. Each crimson eye blinked repeatedly, bothered by the difference my dilated pupils had adjusted to slowly.

She blabbed on, like I have found every mare seems to when they were presented with any sort of action or interest. "Here, here!" was all I really heard, when she dropped her dainty face to the ground, I figured that she just wanted me to drop it. The consideration of dropping it gently ran though my brain. They all cackled at the same time Ehm, no causing my jaw to drop open, the colorful jewel slipping from my wet mouth, along with a few string of hot saliva. It landed with a heavy thud, rolling lazily for a moment before coming to a stand still on the much softer earth. "There," I opened my jaw wide, stretching it out a bit before continuing "Now, what the fuck is it?"

walking "talking" voices

IS IN YOUR HEAD

Deceased
Africa
The ornament fell quickly as Voodoo released his grip, hitting the soft cliff-top lawn with a gentle thud. Africa watched her eyes wide and glistening as suspense gripped her pulsing heart. The young horse stared, even as it lay unmoving where it fell, and for a moment her heart sank. "There," the horned colt announced, his jaw line jerking as though to realign after having clenched for some time, perhaps with considerable pressure. "Now, what the fuck is it?"

The young mare’s eyes lifted as his lazy vocabulary delivered the rather abrupt, demanding question. With a sweet, forgiving smile she brushed his terse attitude away and giggled. “Is your mouth ok?” She asked firstly, narrowing in on the subtle flap of his breathing nostrils- his mouth wasn’t moving by then, so naturally her eye was drawn to that which was. Voodoo’s whole muzzle, she thought with an easily amused smirk, looked like it had been grown in a strawberry patch. It wasn’t very attractive, though it did for that fleeting moment cause her stomach to gurgle excitedly. She huffed light-heartedly, returning to their reality.

“How should I know...” she replied through a teasing giggle, however she did lower her quivering lips again to prod at its shining shell. “I think it’s a jewel.” She continued thoughtfully, little aware that her theory was hardly a revelation. “Back at that fire before, you know, back where you were hunting me,” Africa narrowed her eyes towards him quickly- playfully, though she was absolutely still accusing him of stirring up all the trouble which had unfolded just hours ago. “Well, there were gemstones paving the ground over which we stepped. Did you see them?” It was irrelevant whether he had or not; they did exist, and not even in the crayon dream she had crafted around them. One day Africa would return to study them more comprehensively.

“Voodoo!” She whispered suddenly, her entire tone and manner shifting to one of mystery and astonishment. The dapple grey stepped closer to the colt discretely as though sneaking, and shifted a cautious gaze about them to survey their surroundings- to see if they were being spied upon actually. Then, she lifted her face carefully to whisper confidentially in his ear- “You don’t suppose it followed us, do you?” Africa had been confident in believing that the hounds, and the storm were all vanished and over- now though, she pondered curiously if it had been real. Why were they running away? Why did they scale the side of a cliff to plunge into darkness, well below the earth?

As excitement began to roll through her core once again, Africa swung her hindquarters gently to lean against Voodoo, they were ‘pals’ after all by now- naturally, and she felt increasingly comfortable, and childishly confident in his company. His warmth spread through her like the plague, and she hastened fleeting looks between it, and him.

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!

Her golden eyes seemed to dance with interest as she watched the ball roll from my mouth, landing between us in the short grass. "Is your mouth okay?" My eyes darted from the jewel to the mare, my right eye brow raising at the left dove into the opposite position. 'No bitch, but it will in a minute when I rip that dumb look off if you're face!' Yeah, that's good I sighed, shaking my head at the voices. Why did they always have to be so annoying? Instead, I offered Africa a foolish grin, "It was hard to hold onto. Nothing to really grab, I guess."

She dropped her face to the ball, her lips twitching with what I guessed was excitement. Each black hoof shifted back, creating a little more room between the mare and her new toy. The gray mare's attention snapped back to me, red tipped ears rotating forward. She claimed that I was "hunting her," making each aud rotate back again with annoyance. "If I were "hunting" you Africa, you wouldn't have made it out of that smoke." The tone of my voice was flat and "as-a-matter-a-fact," making me feel like a bit of an asshole.

Africa continued, reminding me of the round stones that we treaded over with easy strides back toward the fires. I hadn't payed much, if any attention to them though. If she hadn't said anything, I would have guessed that they were black balsamic rocks as the rest had been. "Okay, sure." My name rolled from her mouth in a whisper, causing my tail to flick back and forth aggressively for no apparent reason. She pursued closer to me, stretching her neck out to continue her secretive sentence. “You don’t suppose it followed us, do you?”

Her hot breath felt uncomfortable on my ear, making it try to awkwardly cock to the side as she spoke. I scoffed at her proposition, pulling my face away from her to attempt to make eye contact. "It's a rock Africa.. they cannot move." A chuckle bubbled in my throat, but before it could escape into the after noon air, my brain ran though the possibilities. Maybe the rock itself had not followed us.. but, perhaps someone had put the rock there for the two of us to find. I cleared my throat in order to apologize for the reaction, but before the words could make their way out of my brain and to my voice box, the mare swung her hip into mine own.

A few clumsy, tiny steps sent me to my left, though I could have easily stood with the light tap if I had been expecting it. Dark red eyes watched her golden ones dance from the new found jewel to me and back. A small grin toyed with the corners of my lips. I reached out to her shoulder, just before the joint that connected the huge, unnatural like appendages that clung to her body, and nudged her with my stained muzzle. I felt the off-white hair that cascaded over her thick neck twist around the bone that spiraled from my forehead. "What are you going to do with it?"

walking "talking" voices

IS IN YOUR HEAD

Deceased
Africa

"What are you going to do with it?" Voodoo asked, and for a second Africa tasted something other than blunt, obnoxious sarcasm in his voice. Her thick arced neck lifted, bending then to reach her ashen face towards where his muzzle had unexpectedly contacted her shoulder. Curiously her caramel eyes passed between each of his eerily blood-red eyes, trapping him unintentionally in an intimate moment that was possibly never meant to be. She told herself silently that he was like the brother she never had; though as she tried to douse the burning sentiment sparked by their touch, the young mare was tickled with something alike to infatuation. Her tender gaze released him, and blushing beneath the thin mask of white facial-fur, she answered, “Maybe I will take it home to show Sohalia or Midas...” They were by far the two wisest beings of all her acquainted family, and she sighed humbly at the mention of their names.

Shifting through a mess of strung out thoughts; Africa glanced heavenward to examine the hour as it cast increasing shade upon them. The daylight was fading quickly now, and only half of the glowing red sun peeked above the distant watery horizon. She was saddened by the thought of parting with Voodoo- she had enjoyed his company, and her heart held their memories with a mellow fondness. Still staring through a pensive glaze, she thought back to others she had encountered since coming to Helovia; those who she had promised to remain in contact with- but alas had never found again. “Voodoo?” She mumbled thoughtfully without eye contact. “Do you think we will see each other again?” Kri’s warning echoed through the narrow cavity holding her simple, though creative mind. She had warned all of the Throat family to travel in pairs; to pass through Helovia with caution.
Secretly Africa was glad she had not heeded her lead Sultana’s counsel- if she had not, this colt would still be a stranger viewed with suspicion and passed with wide berth. Even if her straying from the border of her home had been somewhat of an accident, truly, she had still broken the rules.

Carefully, the young grey did not probe for the name of his homeland- she prayed it was not the Basin, and so avoided the probability of such disappointment. “If we don’t,” she continued suddenly after a lengthy delay, “I won’t be able to tell you what it is!” Africa peered apprehensively at the presence of the pointed, spiralling red ivory between the temperamental expression in his crimson eyes. She smiled quickly, shunning her reservations and bending without hesitation to pick up the jewel they had found. Naturally, she assumed ownership- it was a gem of some sort so obviously it would be better suited to a female, like herself. Africa turned her whole body then in a graceful swinging motion to face the colt head on, the rich sunset wash of purple, red and orange illuminating his grullo form from behind. “I suppose this is it?” She muttered a little wistfully, though the smile lingered enduringly while she remained with him. A piece of her wanted to follow him, to tag along wherever he ended up going after this cliff; she knew though with unusual sensibility, that she should return home to the refuge of her beloved Throat.

[*sniffle :(]

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!

The dappled mare responded to my question with something I had not expected; taking it home and showing two of her herd mates, her voice giving softly at the mention of their names. My greedy mind would have kept it all to myself, hiding it away from another pair of greedy eyes. Who knew, maybe this thing was special. Or perhaps it was just a colorful stone.. not much of a find. I nodded to her response, staying quiet.

Silence hung in the now eerie air, soft gusts of wind tattle tailing on the nearing night clouds. A long sigh rolled from both flared nostrils at the thought of my long travel toward home. Africa, by the smells that clung to her wholeness, was from around here. She must not have been far from where she belonged. "Voodoo?" Her warm voice brought my eyes from the darkening skies toward her golden, honey like eyes, watching her stare off into the distance. "Do you think we will see each other again?" She seemed disappointed in a way, the tone of her voice not at bright and excited as it had been just moments ago. Instead of answering her with the realistic possibility, I stayed quiet, dropping my face toward the round object that sat on the ground.

She continued after a few seconds of silence, my breathing the only thing audible at the moment. The giddy tone rose again toward the end of her last sentence, causing a smile to shyly crawl across my red features. I lifted my face, "We better. I want to know what that thing is." A playful tone intertwined with the serious, growly tone that was normally presented. For a moment I looked her over again, the strange combination of colors that ran through her tail were certainly different, they would always quickly remind me who she is. Red eyes caught on the feathered wings that hung at her side. She was still an enemy, no matter how... cute, she may be.

My face turned opposite of her, staring at what seemed like an endless sea of grass. "I need to go," I started, the emotionless tone quickly taking it's grasp back on my voice box. "We both should." Long legs picked up each black hoof from the ground in turn, stepping around the object that had ended our adventure. I began walking up the windy trail that we had each made our way down just a while ago, our tracks still visible in soft spots of the earth. My steps were slow, short strides rather than my normally long ones, almost as if I was waiting for my new acquaintance to stop me.

walking "talking" voices

IS IN YOUR HEAD

Deceased
Africa

A soft fragile smile split her black lips as he answered her pondering, "We better. I want to know what that thing is." Africa was pleased that Voodoo wanted to know what it was, equally as much it seemed, as she did. His voice was indeed changed; there was the faint whisper of a more light-hearted note, and it caressed the forward tilt of her listening ears, albeit well hidden beneath the thick rasp of his general indifference. Its enticing flavour was not to last though as the colt with the red nose spoke again. "I need to go, we both should...” Already he had committed to the idea she thought, as her eyes slipped quickly to cover the sudden movement of his long legs, carrying him away without so much as a parting nod.

Africa held few friends in the wild, magical world of Helovia- there were many whom she had spoken with in passing, strangers who cared little for the fantasy games and childlike mind of an insignificant grey mare who held no rapport with any matter of importance. She was a free spirit, who hungered for interaction and companionship, though many found her nature overwhelming, time wasting. The young horse could not have been any more oblivious to this as she dabbled through life at liberty to be herself. He was a first for her though, he had persisted and lingered long in her playful company and she cherished him entirely, and all of the time they had shared.

The emotion which fluttered still through her empty tummy caught in her throat and she coughed quietly, unformed words desperate to reach for his departing body and reel him back. Already she felt the cold pang of loneliness grip her heart, and she tightened her grip on their jewel just like he had before- copying, because it was all she could think of to delay the inevitable fade of their memories. He walked in a direction that could never lead her home, and surrendering underneath the descending blanket of frostbitten night air, Africa’s yearning gaze parted from him too. Voodoo never looked back.

Perhaps deep down she knew they should never meet again. It formed as a dull ache within her fleshy breast, the loss of a treasure far greater than any gem discovered in the dark below the earth. “Bye Voodoo...” She whispered through a dismal sigh and stepped towards the jagged perimeter of the cliff they had played across. Pausing to look back one last time, Africa’s wings unfurled in a mass of black and grey feathers and amid one final thought, she craned her neck so that her lips could pluck a long sleek black quill from the tip of the intricate lace-work. Gathering herself into a powerful forward launch, the dappled mare slipped into the thin air beyond the cliff, immediately finding a chilly current across which to climb. Before she allowed herself to be carried away though, Africa curled left to cross above the colt, and as she passed like a lofty shadow above his slow amble, she released the feather so that it might twirl down to find him- a parting gift, so that he might not forget.

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!

The distance between us opened easily, the chilling night air spreading eagerly through the area I had inhabited with each step. Silence hung in the air for what seemed like forever, left ear pressed forward while the right rotated on swivel. Finally, the high octave of her soft voice barely reached me as we moved our ways. My face dipped toward my chest, taking in a deep breath, but not responding.

I could hear the blunt unfurling of her wings, causing me to glace back. The remaining sun light shone through the thin layers of feathers that ran in rows down the protuberances on her shoulders, the light dancing through them as if she were fake. Hard eyes watched for just enough time to see her begin to step off of the cliff side, each powerful leg pushing her into the air.

Her body sliced through the air near me, then above me, creating a ruffled sound, like that of a sheet hung on a clothes line in the spring air. The dirt track below my now unaccompanied feet leveled back out, the sight of the spewing fire once again visible off in the distance. Something twisted in the air beside me, rotating and dipping through the air. A dark feather drooped down to the grassy earth, landing cockeyed, a thick blade of grass holding it off of the ground completely. I froze in order not to step on the charm. Crimson eyes flicked back skyward, catching the female's underside as she dove away, the feathered wings pumping and pulling her through the sky.

She slowly disappeared into the evening light, giving me the security to examine the feather. My face dipped down, eyes fixated on the tiniest of details on the gift. Had she actually plucked the feather from her own body, or was it by accident? I drew in a short breath, my red stained lips folding over the soft, fragile token. Did she want me to have this? The voices all scrambled at the same time, incoherent to me due to the squabbling. The feather hung from my lips limply so I could not hurt it. I moved on, wandering away from the heat of the Heart.

[Ooc: My feels. ;-; ]
walking "talking" voices

IS IN YOUR HEAD