the Rift

[OPEN] Of Dunes and Sand {Herd leads, open}

Talianna Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Be it flood or be it fire
I will come in times most dire

Long chocolate tresses beat against my striped neck, ensnaring a few dark strands in the feathers that hang by my chest and act as my crown. The wind is relentless in its attempts to remove my headdress, and the gold strands that wrap around my ears tug gently with each gust of air. Most others would find this annoying, but I find it to be gloriously liberating. The constant pressure to remain vigilant of my every movement can be rather stressful, and so the lack of anxiety that I feel for the jewel upon my brow is more than welcome.

With a sense of purpose propelling me onwards, I manage to make much better time than I had originally intended. Mere weeks have passed since my encounter with the winged child, but it feels much longer. I have either spent too many moons away from my beloved Gods, or I have spent one too many days underneath the aching touch of the sun. I don't think that I've ever felt so disoriented in my life -- or is the heat just getting to me? Perhaps it is time that I stop wandering aimlessly, and just wait for fate to take me up in its strong embrace. That particular method has worked well for me in the past.

I take a brief pause to take in the barren land around me, my mismatched eyes squinted to prevent the sun from harming them with its intensity. My attempts have proven futile, however, and for it the orb's violent glare proves to be unforgiving. The tree-bare landscape does not offer to take me in its earthen arms and protect me from the sweltering heat, but I do not mind the in-hospitality of this harsh environment.

After all, it is sometimes the more difficult things in life that bring forth the most wonderful.

Walk walk walk.

"Talk talk talk".

{OOC: Talianna just wants to meet with the herd leads to let her position as a sort of nomad-healer be known. I hate starting threads >.< Can you tell?

@[Midas]; @[Skysong]; @[Sumati]; @[Kri]}

Image Credits

Skysong Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Skysong

I stalked the desert endlessly, hoping to avoid more arguments with Mother. She didn't seem to understand that I was growing. I was a yearling already, and I didn't need a baby sitter any longer. Plenty of the other foals my age were becoming apprentices, soldiers-in-training, even, but not me. No, Mother kept me under her watchful eye, or asked Aunt Rowan to stay with me, and though I loved my aunt and the freedom that accompanied her, I hated how confined I still remained. Perhaps if I had been aware of the day of my birth, I would understand Mother's actions, but how am I supposed to mourn for a sister that I never knew? How am I supposed to miss a father that was no longer around?

And just how much could she have loved him, anyway, for her to already be with another stallion's child? As much as she would have liked me to forget it, I know that Father left before this pregnancy. I may not have lived for very long, but that meant there was less time for me to remember, and these details still stood at vivid attention in my mind. You could say that I had an unhealthy disrespect for my mother, and yet I remained within her grasp in the Dragon's Throat. Many a day, I wandered along the borders, longing to fly free, but with Mother or Aunt Rowan on my tail, how was I supposed to break free?

And so it was that I wound up pacing the edge of the border again, our latest argument ringing in my ears. "You can't go out there," she had told me wearily. Mother never yelled, only looked at me with sad eyes and a withered spirit. It was almost worse than yelling, in its own way. "It is dangerous there, and while you are here, I can keep you safe." I had snorted angrily. "Can you, Mother? It is the herd that you rely on to keep me safe - you are no more than a builder, remember? You wouldn't know what to do in a battle save hide me in some cave somewhere, and when you were murdered, what would come of me? I would rot in a little cavern, left to die." That had wounded her, and rather than deal with her pain, I left with my own.

A movement catches my attention. Someone new - an equine, by the looks of it, though I supposed it could be a unicorn, from this distance - had crossed into our land. The newcomer was alone, and I found myself propelled in that direction. I could show Mother that I could take care of myself, and I would! "Excuse me!" I called boldly, trotting after her. Upon my arrival at her side, I took stock of her rather odd appearance, all stripes and blue eyes, not to mention that strange headgear that she wore. "You are not from here," I observe, cocking my head to the side with curiosity. "Where are you from?"

"Talk talk talk."

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Birds had filled the skies over the past few weeks; their numbers increased with each new sunrise. They traveled from what I guessed was long distances—numbering the thousands. Where they are headed, I’m not sure, and don’t stop one to ask. Fina watches them with bored eyes, I had wondered early in the season if my bonded child would be migrating somewhere. I knew little of her history and less of what a phoenix’s patterns of life where. But thankfully she showed less interest in the act of traveling and more enthusiasm for the feast they brought.

For days she had been eating goose. Now her tummy was plump and feathers shimmery (not that she hadn’t ever not been well rounded and glorious appearing all along). We were walking the boarder today; Fina woke early so she could tag along. Ahead was more desert and even further ahead—past what our eyes could see due to an unforgiving haze were mountains and trees. I gave 180 scan regularly, keeping a predator’s eye out for trouble.

A stranger had started to venture to close to my home; I had been watching her for awhile….when she got to close, I drew near to see what was what. Another of the herd approaches, a young filly. Feeling as though this was just another routine meet and greet I closed the distance between and bid the stranger, “Good day you two, what brings you to Dragons Throat?” My voice is pleasant, not dry or raspy as you might expect it to be from living with so much dust—sand. Very few creatures knew that my second element was the earth itself.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Unregistered

The sight of the winged child instantly uplifts my spirits, and I find that my slender chocolate legs have changed pace to match her own. The feathers around my neck clack together with each bounce of my shoulders, and my thick mane is whipped back from my sweaty nape in the breeze that our trot has created.

"Greetings, child. I am just wandering. Want-ed to meet all leaders of these lands; you have leader, yes? I am most interested in meet-ing him." My hetero-chromatic eyes latch onto her own unmatched eyes, and I am delighted to see that the members of this herd are as diverse as any other. The gene that has caused my eyes to appear this way is very rare in my own land, and so I am glad to see that there are others like me. Her face -- half painted white, half painted champagne -- seems to have been pieced together by two separate equines, and I find that I am wanting to get to know her better with each beat of my pumping heart.

The curiosity that she directs towards me seems to be fueling my own, and I can't help but say, "You are a jewel, lit-tle one." My tongue is swollen from a parched throat, causing my accent to come out even thicker.

"What int-rests you? What path of life do you want to take?" I throw my gaze around at the scenery, taking in the tall green plants scattered around the golden horizon, the scarce few rocks that dot the landscape, and all of the sand that has been brought together here. Suddenly I wonder if this girl would like to come with me -- I have been yearning for the company of one who shares my vision to offer our services to all, regardless of their race -- and I wonder if the filly has ever thought about leaving her beloved home. "Do you wish to remain here with the sand, child? Or do you dream of a greener landscape?" My eyes reach deep into her own, trying to show her the comfort and serenity that wandering the many lands can offer you.

My attempts to convey a message that speaks of freedom and liberty and passion are cut short when I turn to face a golden stallion. He appears to be a tender man, and one that I trust as soon as his words reach my ears. The Dragon's Throat. So this is where I am.

Dark lips part in greeting and I bow my head slightly, letting the stallion know that I respect his authority and that I am conscious of my intrusion. He does not appear weary of my presence in his lands, but I find it within me to let him know that I do not wish to step on his hooves; my words are courteous when I say, "And to you, Senor. I hope that I was not walking where I should not be, but thank you for meeting with us."

I gesture to the smaller pegasus with my dark nose, causing the feathers around my neck to clack together with the movement. "Do you all have wings here?" I do not realize that my question is as blunt as it is rude; my curiosity had gotten the best of me and my inability to convey my thoughts into words made me sound like a child. But, also like a child, I am ignorant to the emotion that my innocent question might have caused.

Walk walk walk.

"Talk talk talk".

Image Credits

Unregistered

Skysong

I try my best to look as mature as possible as I trot alongside the mare. Of course, I am simply dying with excitement on the inside - this is the closest I've ever been to an outsider - but I must contain that. I must prove to Mother that I can take care of myself. I must show her that I can do more than just sit, day in and day out. I will show her. The new mare speaks, voicing her own greeting, and I prick my auds with interest. She has a strange accent, and I find myself wanting to imitate her. I resist, however, lest she think I mock her. "Our leader is a mare," I inform her cheerfully. "Her name is Kri. Oh, and Sumati. She's a leader, too. I can take you to them!" The offer is eager, too eager, though I do not know just how desperate I sound. Hindsight is always twenty-twenty, they say.

The mare eyes me with interest, and I am suddenly nervous. What if I do something wrong? Or, worse, what if she is only pretending to be nice? What if Mother is right, and I really should fear the world beyond our borders? The mare begins to ask me questions, kind questions, but I remain torn. Is she really interested in my answers, or does she simply wish to steal me away? "I want to do something useful," I admit carefully. "And I want to travel." Despite my suspicions, a wistful tone enters my voice, and a faraway gleam appears in my orbs. Oh, how I long to leave this gods-forsaken desert! My eyes suddenly light up, and I look at the mare with new wonder, my fears all but forgotten. "Do you go other places? Can you take me with you?"

But my questions are interrupted. Midas, a stallion that I have never met but know much of - how can you not, living in the Dragon's Throat? He's practically a saint around here - has arrived, and has taken the fae's attention. "Hello, sir," I greet him, a bit crestfallen, for he has unquestionably stolen my thunder. When she inquires as to our races, I know that I ought to be quiet and allow the adults to carry on their conversation - but I'm almost an adult, too! I'm almost a yearling for goodness' sake! "We have a little bit of all kinds, miss, but mostly we have wings." I grin, not realizing that her question could be mistaken amongst some for racism. Ah, the naïveté of youth!

"Talk talk talk."

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
The strange colored lass dips her cranium out of respect, I mimic the movement because it is my disposition to show equal kindness—but with slightly less of a drop, “And to you, Senor.” She says, calling me by some foreign title I can only guess is her manner of addressing those of nameless rank. “I hope that I was not walking where I should not be, but thank you for meeting with us.” Fina chirps from my shoulder, always the one to be centered in the ring of attention; she announced her presence vocally, as if their eyes needed extra incentive to witness….her gloriouswhatever. The shrill raptor call was loud enough for at least one of my auditory sensors to swivel back in annoyance.

I push out a smile and glance down at the cherub when she addresses me in a tone that is slightly reserved—though I couldn’t fathom why and wouldn’t think to dwell on it. “Do you all have wings here?” My jaws break apart, words have already formed in the mind and are starting to leave on the next exhaled train ride; but the filly beat me, “We have a little bit of all kinds, miss, but mostly we have wings.” Seems that our family had a little recruiter in the making, grinning all the same I tact on, “Aye friend, she speaks the truth—our ranks have many carrying wings, some none, some are blessed with both wing and horn. We accept all species into this family fold.” Knowing that our introductions hadn’t left the ground yet I offered, “If it pleases you two, call me, Midas.”

Unregistered

"Mi-das." I let the unfamiliar words roll across my dry tongue. "It truly does please me to have met you. Both of you." My green-blue eyes hold onto the feathered girl's face, and I reach my nose out towards her in a gentle touch. There is something so pure about her that I cannot keep myself from running my dark lips over her soft mane, and suddenly I wonder what her mother would think of me. It was not my place to offer such a tender gesture to this girl -- I am most certainly not her dam -- but I could feel that somehow, this young winged maiden would appreciate my touch. Perhaps it was this mother-figure that had caused the filly to join me at my side.

After dwelling over the information that these two pegasi had provided for me, I decide that it is time to answer some of their own questions. "My name is Talianna, and you are true in your observation; I am a stranger to this desert." The smaller creature had not offered her own name up for the taking, but it will come to me in time. After all, the beauty of Tallsun must wait for its turn in the repetitive cycle of the Earth, and its glory is unmatched by any of its sisters. When the flicka is ready -- just as when Tallsun is ready -- she will allow her song to bring beauty to my flickering ears.

But, for now, I must try to appease her distant mother, and avoid a direct proposal to allow her to accompany me. "Yes, child. I go to many different places. I walk the plains of barren fields; climb the cliffs of rocky chains; waded in rivers that go through mountains; and met with countless travelers, all seeking their own enlightenment in some way.

"My goal on my travels is to offer my service to all. I trained beside my mother in healing when I was child -- but left when she did bad." I turn my golden face away from the pair of winged beasts as shame threatens to spill over inside of me.

My mother would not have approved of my meeting with two pegasi; she probably would have chased the little flicka away. I am not proud of what my mother did in the time that I was with her, nor am I proud of what she is probably doing without me there to stop her. All I can do is right the wrongs that my mother commits, and I think that what I am doing now is a magnificent first step. I must meet with the leaders of all the lands and inform them of my service as outcast healer of Helovia. And then I must fulfill my duty as Vessel to the Gods, and allow for their voices to be heard.

"You are quite open to strangers, Mi-das; at least about your herd." I slowly draw out trot to a halt, and my head raises to look the golden warrior in the eye. My voice is thick and tinged with awe when I say, "Tell me, what God is that walks with you in these dunes?"

Walk walk walk.

"Talk talk talk".

{OOC: Lacking Talianna muse, sorry DX}

Image Credits

Unregistered

Skysong

I realize belatedly that my interruption might be viewed as disrespectful, but when I glance surreptitiously at Midas, he wears only a grin. I sigh quietly, my former dismay at his arrival thawing. I puff up my chest a bit more, shifting so that I stood more beside him, as though to be a part of the mare's guide party. Perhaps it is an amusing action to the adults, but I do not see it as such, for I am too young still to understand the funny things that children do without realizing it. One day, I might look back on this interaction and groan with embarrassment, but for now, I plow steadily onward after Midas introduces himself.

"Oh, I know!" I tell him cheerfully. "Mother told me who you are! I'm Skysong." I don't stop to think that perhaps "mother" is not a particularly clarifying description for anyone other than myself, but that is neither here nor there. Oh, right, Talianna - what a pretty name! - had mentioned traveling, hadn't she? Oh, how many questions I had for her! What did a forest look like? How did snow feel? What was a lake, exactly? Could she take me to one? And she heals! Could she teach me? Can I just go with her? I should ask Mother if - no, why should I? Mother would only tell me no! I should just go with her. I am almost a yearling, after all!

I remain in silence, allowing the adults to talk as they would, but I do not leave. No, I found her, and I have way too many questions for her still. She just can't go away without me talking to her! She just can't!

"Talk talk talk."

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
The filly introduces herself boldly, and my lips never falter their patient beam. It was good that Skysong bore such a brilliant spirit, I thought that she would make a great warrior someday if such a fiery passion could be harnessed for battle. Our company offers her title and occupation; which of course answers my previous question. It wasn’t often that we as a herd got the opportunity to meet with a traveling medic, usually it wasn’t the skilled horses but apprentices that flocked along our border. Curious about where this conversation would lead, though wise enough to hold my tongue—I perhaps wait too long to ask my own questions. Talianna beats me to the punch and poses one of her own after complimenting my trusting nature, “Tell me, what God is that walks with you in these dunes?”

Her eyes are on me, though I haven’t even looked up yet I can feel them pressuring my crown to rise. Slowly, golden pools slide up to meet those steadfast orbs, feathered frame pauses movement when she does. The question itself would be easy to answer, it was the mystery of a purpose behind this inquiry which made my brows nit together, “Ma ’lady the Sun God is our patron for this desert—and I offer him my thanks for the continuation of blessings and protection,” my voice slips into a soft murmur, “Though…. it is the Earth which calls, and it is Earth which I follow.” Mother always said that our ties with the Lord of Nature was strong, and thus far she had spoken true. My powers originated from the sand we walked upon.