the Rift

[OPEN] Exploration At It's Best [Semira]

Marius Posts: 15
World's Edge Stallion
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 5 (ages in BirdSong)
Raine

It was cool today, cooler than it had been in a while, but it was a welcome reprieve from the heat of the previous season. Already he could feel his coat lengthening in preparation for the coming cold, and everyday he itched as his Tallsun coat worked its way off of him. His ears flickered back and forth as he heard a few crunches beneath his feet from dead leaves that were already beginning to fall. But he ignored those as he broke into a meadow and he looked around. Many of the plants were sleeping, but that didn't matter as he spotted the few trees that scattered the area.

He perked up slightly, taking a few trotting steps into the area before his scar forced him back into a walk. Not that he minded it really, it was nice to walk and enjoy the sights before him. Since being accepted into the Edge herd, he had not left the herd lands much. This was one of the few times that he had left, and only after making sure he would remember the way back. He paused after a moment and stood there calmly, closing his eyes and taking in the scent of the area around him. It was calm, and nice out here. He liked it here, even if the plants were sleeping. He could only imagine what it would look like in Birdsong when everything was blooming again.

He opened his eyes again and leaned against a tree, smiling slightly. Yes, he definitely liked it here.

"Speaking." | Thinking

Semira Posts: 42
Hidden Account
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: Yearling
Kachie
Ever was there the allure of remaining within touch or sight of her nestmate or her mother or her father. Indeed, such was the situation that started her on the path that was to lead her astray. An adventure with her sister, following Father on his patrols, until what was already becoming routine paths grew dull. Mutually the dragonsisters decided to go see what Mother was up to, but the little silver child never quite made it that far.

A glimpse of gold between the trees, familiar in its coloration but not in its lack of luminosity, distracted her. She fell back, eyes searching for another glimpse of that peculiar shade, only to slow further at a second look. Curiosity stoked, she looked back after her sister, only to discover her twin hadn't noticed her slowing and had become a distant, fleeting figure in the mists and shadows.

Torn between the familiar and the unknown, she hesitated for a heartbeat, two. Then she spun and darted after the unknown, bounding strides of youthful confidence carrying her rapidly after the strange golden one. Her strides slowed when she caught up enough to see him, but not so close as to reveal herself. Interested, she wove to find his path, sniffing inquisitively at branches that still swayed gently after his passing. Edge. Not outsider. Cousin?

Brief thoughts, but enough to assure her into continuing to follow, even when the trees thinned and gave way to an expanse of grass unlike anything she'd seen before. Quiet awe had her pausing beneath the last of the forest's cover, head dipped to peer around an obstructing patch of leaves. It was like when she stood with her twin beside Mother or Father or both, and gazed out from a safe distance at the ocean beneath the cliffs. But, this was grass, not water. She'd had no idea there was anything like this.

That awe was short lived though, when she spotted the object of her curiosity ahead. Suddenly feeling distinctly vulnerable without the presence of her immediate family, she bolted across the grass after the golden stallion she already knew to be a herdmate. Her wings were flared instinctively as she ran, and the sunlight gleamed off the silver scales that streamed down her back and over withers and haunches.

Completely oblivious to the strikingly unusual sight she made, she didn't falter stride until she was in danger of running headlong into the gold and white stallion, now leaning against a tree. Only then did she slow, wings tucking close as she sought to sidle up to the stallion she had no name for but trusted nonetheless.

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
I did not feel the cold.

There was something within me that seemed to keep me warm. Father said he had a fire within his belly that was given to him by the Sun God. I did not have the ability to breathe fire or heat, but I was the granddaughter of a dragon. My hide was thick, and my scales were not only an impenetrable shield against sharp edges, they also resisted change in the environmental temperature.

On our journey back to our mother, I did notice that my sister flagged behind, that her attention had been pulled elsewhere. I stopped my pace, coming to a smooth halt, peering quietly about, with wings half-cast, elongated tail swishing like a slow pendulum merely a few inches above the loam below. I breathed in the mists that surrounded me, taking a moment to calculate my next action.

The next thing of occur resolved my dilemma. A rustle of leaves above, a glint of gold, and a colourful, warbling trill announced the arrival of my mother's beloved bondmate, Akaith. I smile to her, eyes glimmering with unrestrained happiness. My own voice quietly hums a tune, somewhere in between an equine whicker and a draconic song, welcoming her presence as it glides down to settle upon the small of my back.

"We are exploring today, Akaith." I say quietly to her, tilting my tiara to view her reaction, wondering if perhaps I should have asked her instead of told her. She tilted her little crown at me in response, like a confused puppy investigating a strange sound, before bumping her nose against my own and taking to the air in the direction of the border.

With a half smile curving my lips, I followed in her shadow, moving myself into a speedier step, moving with some acceleration until the ground beneath my hooves changed. With surprise I noted that the mists no longer lingered about my fetlocks, and trees did not bunch nearly so close together. Akaith, above me, seemed to laugh at my sudden hesitation, my surprise.

I continue to follow her, as she seems to know which direction to take to reunite me with my twin. Ahead, I spy the familiar glint of silver, standing alongside a stallion stained a similar hue to the healer Torasin, only he held no white patches amidst his golden sheen. I stopped once again, several lengths away from where my sister stood by him, treating him like one she already knew. Akaith seemed unconcerned by his presence, as she chortled a friendly greeting to Semira, she curved a great arc in the area above us and eventually settled onto a branch that was slowly but surely losing its leaves.

"Hello." I say softly, my façade guarded, my expression clear as I peered at him with vertically slitted eyes, swaying my scythed tail slowly behind me, akin to a cat summing up the size of its prey before deciding whether or not to pursue it.
background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

World's Edge Stallion
Raine

He was happily resting and enjoying the scenery around him when the sound of hoof beats caught his attention. Ears swiveling, he tried to pinpoint the sound while keeping his eyes on the river that cut through the middle of the meadow. It was moving sluggish almost, and the flow of it continually grabbed his attention. But those hoofbeats were too fast for him to ignore, and they were getting closer. Finally he turned his head only to stiffen when he saw a flash of silver that the light relected off of. Scales. That was the only word that came to mind from the sight burned into his retinas before there was a pressure on his side as someone sidled up to him. He nickered in surprise, his ears lying flat as he turned his attention to the being beside him only to stop. A filly. There was a filly sidled up to him.

Inhaling deeply, he was quick to note that she smelled of the Edge, and he relaxed only slightly. A herd mate yes, but what was such a young one doing away from the herd all by herself. Surely she wasn't just wandering out here by herself, perhaps she had only gotten lost. He could always lead her back to the Edge if need be, but he lifted his head in order to look for someone else around them. Maybe she had come with her parents, such a unique child surely had ones that cared for her. A quick shake of his head cleared that from his mind and he lowered his head to look at her on her level. "Hello there little one," he said softly, a smile playing on his lips. The least he could do was keep her company for the moment. "Who might you be? I'm Marius. What are you doing so far from the Edge?"

He had only just gotten used to the fact the being next to him had scales on her wings when a flash of gold and the sound of a different set of hoof beats caught his attention. His head jerked up, expecting to see the child's parents or care taker when instead he was faced with a golden dragon and what seemed like a copy of the filly beside him standing at a small distance. He blinked, caught off guard by the appearance of the other one. Twins? That seemed the most likely option now that he thought about it, since the other one brought the scent of the Edge with her as well. His tail swished back and forth lightly, and the sight of the other filly's tail doing much the same did not go unnoticed.

Yet he managed a smile for her when she said hello, even if it did seem tinted with wariness. "Hello. I'm Marius, from the Edge," he said, brown eyes warm with kindness. "And may I inquire of you your name?" He kept his head low to stay on their level, though his eyes darted towards the dragon sitting in the treetops. It seemed familiar with the two fillies, perhaps it was bonded to one of them or their parents. They certainly must have unique parents to have scales like that, it wasn't something he'd seen before in all of his wanderings.

"Speaking." | Thinking

Semira Posts: 42
Hidden Account
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: Yearling
Kachie
Wide golden eyes peered up at the golden stallion with the flaxen hair. Delicate little ears were titled as far forward as they would go as a small silence fell over her. She could tell she'd startled him, and she was debating aplogizing, considering his tense demeanor, when he began to soften. A look around, and then he was bending his head down to her level.

Mildly pleased that she'd run across someone who was not only so fascinatingly colored, but nice, Semira shifted away from Marius, just enough that her wing was no longer cramped against his side, and offered him a bright smile of her own. "Hi Marius, I'm Semira. I followed you, because you were so interesting. You're the only one other than Mother - sometimes - and Uncle Torasin that's as golden as you are." It was a child's simple explanation, filled with the assumption that the adult she was speaking to knew all that she was talking about.

So intent was she on Marius, that she didn't notice Akaith or Sister approaching until his own startled glance up had her peering about. "Akaith!" Rose her voice in merry greeting, light tones harmonizing with the dragon's warbling. But then her gaze shifted back to Amaris, and Semira rustled her wings. "Sorry I ran off on you, Sister. But I had to meet Marius. He's even more golden than Uncle Torasin!" Unspoken was the fact that her twin was just a lightly marked in gold as Semira was in silver. But that was different. Theirs was dragon's scales, worn all the time. So they counted for more. More even than Mother when she took her dragon's form, since that was only part of the time.

She brightened again when Marius' kindness was extended in a warm welcome to her sister, and Semira danced forward to bump her nose against Amaris' shoulder and then circle around her twin, urging her closer. "You don't have to be cautious, see? Akaith approves. The Edge is our family so he must be some sort of cousin..."

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
Akaith warbled from her tree, and it sounded like a scolding, the sounds cascading into shriller tones, and I knew, without even glancing at her, that she was scolding me. I could not help the indifference I displayed for the situation at hand - was it caution that stilled my tongue and paused my steps? Or was it a yearning to be like our mother, to wait, and analyse a situation before becoming involved? I liked to think it was the latter, instead of a shyness that my sister clearly did not possess. It was overwhelming, this need of mine to analyse - perhaps as time went on, I would be able to complete my analysis of a situation as swiftly as mother did now.

The golden dragon's noises levelled down to quiet chortles, and I could hear the distinct warble of amusement coming from her maw now, even as my sister insisted this kindly fellow was indeed, a kindly fellow. He asked after my name, and upon giving me his own, I employed my sensitive nostrils to confirm that yes, he was from the Edge. How could I have been sure beforehand? He might have masked his foreign scent with our own to throw us off guard - but Akaith and Semira both have accepted his presence, and so I feel myself slowly, if begrudgingly, accept it too. I nod my tiara to him, acknowledging his words, summoning my own voice to reply to him.

"Amaris." I say simply, the word strung out by my melodic voice seemingly at random, as my sharp gaze flicks from the stallion before me to the filly beside me. "Why are you beyond the borders?" I turn my attention back to him, uninterested in divulging my reasons for coming here - sister has revealed them all anyway - and wanting to simply know more about him. He was not a cousin to me, but he was a herdmate, and perhaps, in time, he could become a friend.
background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

World's Edge Stallion
Raine
Marius listened with barely concealed amusement as Semira stated her reasoning for barrelling into him. Golden? He didn't think his coat color was quite that extravagant, but she was a child so he couldn't hold it to her. He smiled, watching the interaction between the twins before focusing solely on Amaris as she questioned him. "I am away from the border because I was exploring. I'm new to this land, and I wanted to see what I could see," he said, amusement dancing in his brown eyes.

He looked back at Semira, a small smile dancing at his maw. "You say I am interestingly colored? I could say much the same for yourself. I've never seen one with scales along them. They're very pretty how they reflect the light and shine," he said, ears cocking forward as he examined the scales on the both of them slightly. It really was fascinating, and it made him wonder who their parents were. Surely at least one of them had dragon blood.

He hummed lightly before lifting his head, smiling again. "Well... since we're all here... why don't we play a game before it's too dark and we all have to go back to the herd?" he asked, ears perking on top of his head. He enjoyed games, surely the two fillies did as well.

(( An absolutely horrible post, I apologize >.> ))