the Rift

[OPEN] Lamentation.

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

I WANT TO FEEL THE PAIN AND THE BITTER TASTE
OF THE BLOOD ON MY LIPS AGAIN</style>

Eyes closed. The sound of the gulls washes over his ears like the crashing of waves. For a few moments, he was back home. His hooves were resting on the sugar soft sand of the Moonlit Tides, and he was breathing the air of his home. He could almost hear Silverline's worried voice on the wind, the gentle murmur of voices of those he swore to protect.

Eyes open.

They were dead, all of them. He had to think that or he would go mad. Bodies scattered across the land that he had worked so hard to clean. Paladin had taken debris, felled trees and burned charcoal to the side. He had made the beaches safe to run along, and he still knew the path by memory. Every day, he would run along the borders, keeping his herd safe, as was his duty. For the longest time out of any herd, he had kept his own stable and safe, but a force, larger than he and more powerful had torn that all away.

And he would never be the same.

The darkness in his soul laughed at him, mocked him. The demon inside was right. When you get close, you risk losing it all, and he did. He did not expect the pain to linger this long. He did not expect to not be able to forget that place or the ones he loved. Though he loathed to admit it, the death of the Tides changed him, and perhaps not for the better. He no longer had the fire that burned in his soul and drove him to lead and battle for glory, honor and family.

He knew that was what drove him and Soleil apart. It had to be.

And now he stood upon a copy of his once home, lamenting things that would be nevermore. Regretting his actions and loving them all the same. Were all his actions for naught? Did he make a difference? He liked to think that he forged a path for equality, but he could not see it, not when his two sisters were still wraiths of darkness and violence. Forever his past would haunt him, and now even what he had loved had left, leaving him just an empty shell of the man he had been.

Life was not the same. It had not been the same. And it would never be the same. Some wounds never healed.

Warriors did not cry. So instead, he stared out at the sea, a frown on his graying features. The scars on his body told a story, but he was not in a position of power any longer. All he was now was stories. Perhaps a legend whispered on lips who remembered. He did not belong here. Not truly. But he was here all the same, and he would try and make the best of it - somehow.

[[Open to anyone, but please make sure that you can put time and effort into posts if you do post here.]]

Horse

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
Sand depressed beneath wandering hooves, curving up around their walls as weight was pressed down upon it. A fragment of seaweed, dried and shrivelled in the sunlight, fluttered across the flat surface of the high tide mark, catching around a pale fetlock for several more strides, until a chance step caught it, held it still as another stride was taken, forward and away.

Water rushed up, driven by a rogue wave, to wash up around the trailing hooves and tug the ends of a dark tail to their limit, individual strands lured into following the dancing surf as it scoured clean a stretch of prints behind the wanderer, leaving behind damp sand and seaweed, tumbled stones and abandoned, sun-bleached shells. A single strand of coarse, black hair escaped with it, destined to be reaped by a scavenging seabird when the seasons turned again.

Dark eyes lifted, tracing the course of the sandy shore, and lingered on an equally dark figure ahead. Ears tipped forward while steps never faltered, mind turning over the decision of whether or not to leave the Valiant be in his lonely vigil. Sleepy curiosity thrummed in the mare's awareness, the dragon sprawled across her back roused to the end of consciousness by the activity in her mind. Absently she shared the image of the black dun with the drowsy blue, already decided on her course of action.

Unhurried she measured the tangled mark of the ocean's highest reach with steady strides, unconcerned by the occasional hungry wave that licked around her hooves, erasing the signs of her passage and crusting the hairs of her fetlocks with the thinnest coating of salt.

In due course she reached him, strides slowing as she moved to stand, uninvited, in his shadow. Unknowingly she let her mind wander to a land she'd once known, retracing memory's path back to the day she'd first walked the Tides, seasons before Paladin himself walked them, long before his reminescences were founded. Drawing in a deep draught of salty air, she sighed before glancing up at the Valiant's profile. "It has been a while," was all she said, voice a quiet murmur not much louder than the surf.

((Could not resist!))

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
   Ranjiri</style>
  give me strength when i'm standing and faith when i fall</style>

I know you said not to leave the Foothills, momma, but the world is big and I to look around. You really can't fuss too much, I took Bear with me so he'll keep me safe. He's much bigger than I am and he's fearsome. Haven't you seen his sharp teeth? And those claws? Someone would have to be crazy to cross Bear and make him angry. I. think he gets his temper from you, momma. You look just like a bear when you're angry. When its just us you're cuddly, though. I know you never let anyone see it, so I won't tell anyone that you're secretly cuddly. It'll be our little secret.

If you could see me now, momma, you would probably smile and shake your head because you don't laugh often. I like it when you laugh because it reaches your eyes and you don't look as harsh as you usually do. It's tough being a leader, isn't it momma? You can say 'no' if you want to, but I know the truth. I can read it in the lines of your face and the stress that makes your muscles stiff sometimes. But it makes you happy to be a leader. I know that because I see the look in your eyes when you're surrounded by our family. They make you happy even if you hide it.

Anyways, like I was saying, you would probably smile and shake your head if you could see me. You know my wings are still fluffy with black and gold baby feathers, but they're stretched out at my sides as I run across the sand. Yeah, I made it all the way to the beach, momma. I think that's what big brother called it, anyway. Bear is still with me, but I'm so much faster than him. He's eating my sand, momma. Sometimes I flap my wings and close my eyes while I run and pretend that I'm flying like daddy and big brother.

Bear makes a warning noise and I snap my eyes back open and slow down enough to let him catch up with me because that's what you would want. There's someone that looks just like you, momma, and for a split second I think that you caught me and I'm ready to accept whatever punishment you give me, and that's why I keep walking closer. But it's not you, momma. Not unless you cut your hair and stained it red. And certainly not unless you turned yourself into a boy.

I remember that you told me one time that not all strangers are nice, but not all of them are bad. This one I'm not sure about, but how will I know if I just leave. "Hello!" I say to him in my cheerful little voice. If he's upset then hopefully my cheer will be contagious and he'll be happy, too. It works on you, momma. I trot closer even though Bear grumbles what I assume is a warning against doing so and I get a closer look at this boy. "You look like my momma!" He has red eyes just like yours momma!

Credits

aud pixel!

Roux Posts: 57
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 5 :: Orangemoon HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Edison :: Red Kite :: Rage Semper

The young colt walks with his nose close to the sandy ground, leaving his mother far behind him. He had ventured with the nurse to the ocean and had left her graze while he explored. He did not know where Sacre was, but he missed him, and guessed he was off with their father or Aramis. He enjoyed playing with his twin brother very much and relied on him heavily during the day. His lack of sight when the sun was in the sky bewildered the child and already he was quite tired of his father prodding around in his herbs mumbling to himself about a cure. He did not mind his impairment, really, for he saw it as the opposite. Sacre held his confidence and eyes during the day, and Roux held Sacre's in the night. They were a perfect team, working together to tackle the world they were oh so recently exposed to.

And what a big world it was. The reddened colt's nostrils flared as he strolled along the beach, his body shifting ungallantly in a most foal-like trot, tail flicking behind him excitedly. His eyes were shifting and adjusting to the fading light, the world around him becoming brighter and clearer. However, there was more that he was not able to see than what he was able to see. Something weird hit his nose and the young boy stopped dead in his tracks, nostrils flaring wide. WHAT WAS THAT? It was weird, and it crunched. Confused, his brows furrowed and he pressed his nose into it again. It was dry and wet at the same time, the salty smell filling his lungs before something underneath the pile of weeds made it move. Snorting wildly the colt lurched forward, legs splaying awkwardly as he spooked.

He was completely unaware of the forms around him as he ran across the beach, arabian tail high as he skirted away from the scary beast that was a pile of seaweed. He had no intentions of stopping until he knew he was well and safe, but unfortunately he was running directly away from his mother--the only safe thing he knew here on the beach. Snorting, the colt contemplated for a split second whether to turn around, but the thought was knocked from his head as he rammed into something hard. His balance flew out from underneath him and his dark hooves splattered sand into the air. Freezing, only from fear and shock, the colt with wide eyes and heavy breath looked up towards the dark figure he had smack into. His heart fluttered inside of his chest and he had not heard any of the voices, but as he looked upon the aging warrior he was keenly aware of the others on the other side of him. "H-h-hello." Was all that the young unicorn could sputter.

ROUX
s a i l with me into the d a r k

image by steve p2008@flickr | code by imi

Deceased
Tamme

Paladin was an immovable force on the edge of the ocean, standing with the same warriors grace he was born with, but he felt like driftwood getting beaten by the tide. Without having to move his body, he knew someone was coming. The wind shifted, ever so slightly, around their form, causing different hairs along his body to be disrupted. Eventually, he tilted an ear and averted his gaze to see Smoke making her way to him, purposefully. Well this was new. He could not say that he was entirely overjoyed to be in her company, but it was not unwelcome.

She stood beside him, and he did not move. The facade of strength and power remained fully intact, hiding the turmoil beneath. When she spoke, he furrowed his brows, wondering what she was attempting to dig up from the past or if she even was. He frowned. "Mmhmm," he agreed. As a statement of fact, her words rang true, but he did not know how else to treat them, especially lost in his melancholy as he was.

The warrior had little time to over analyze Smoke's words when two young ones came wandering by. How did he attract children? Paladin's eyes dimmed slightly, and he cast and helpless gaze back at Smoke. He had his own children whom he tried to raise honorable and trashed his teachings. He did not need anymore clambering at his mind and sense of honor only to be a disappointment.

Such was Paladin's depression that the cheer of others only served to sink him further into a hole. He hid it well, the mask of the warrior fitting flawlessly, like a second skin. "Greetings," he replied. The stallion raised a brow, able to discern some of the markings seemed to be from his daughter, but the gold instantly reminded him of another stallion... Midas, was the name. "Oh, and who is your mother?" he asked curiously, eyeing the second figure to arrive.

He was running and not stopping. What had spooked the child? Someone needed to teach him not to bolt and instead face his fears. Paladin was not the one to do that, not anymore. But perhaps he would have a weakness for the colt, a bitter replacement for the son he never had. Was he truly this pathetic now? Instead of moving, Paladin let the foal run straight into his side. The colt was build small and wiry, and Paladin's body barely swayed from the meager force.

Crimson eyes looked down and frowned. "Bolting without looking is not wise," he said simply, looking to Smoke again. She had children. Certainly she would shed some light on the situation so that he wouldn't ruin more children.

Horse

Hidden Account
It was unsurprising that her noncommital greeting earned a noncommital response. An ear tilted though, angling toward the black dun beside her. He'd been near as scarce as she had been lately, though with less obvious reasons. Memories of the past faded in favor of the mysteries of the present. Silently she contemplated Paladin, pondering over the suspicious lack of Soleil and the stallion's choice to come to the Edge instead of remain with his daughters. Of course she wanted to ask, to solve the fresh mysteries his person presented. But she could find no tactful manner in which to approch the subject.

Temptation was thwarted when the rising silence was broken by little hooves pattering across the sand. Her view of the approaching youngsters was obscured by the Valiant's bulk, so Smoke stepped forward to peer around him at the children.

The first one that met her gaze made her blink in surprise. There was no mistaking the heritage this little winged filly hailed from, even if Paladin paused to confirm the fact with an inquisitive question. Certainly, what she would have expected to be bleached white was instead burnished gold, but any doubts Smoke might've had about the subject were vanished with the girl's comment on Paladin looking like her mother. The Wild Rose only knew of one mare who looked like the Valiant, and there could only be so many children who would be baby-sitted by a bear. "Hello, child." A warm smile was offered the filly, even as her gaze was caught by rapid movement.

Dark eyes lifted to watch the racing colt, white edged ears tilting forward. He didn't slow, didn't veer, but ran right into Paladin. Smoke twitched in sympathy, for which she wasn't sure. Only now did she notice the glance Paladin cast her, and sensed it wasn't the first he'd spared for her. An arch glance was returned, a smile quirking at her features.

Stepping forward so she could reach down around Paladin, she reached her muzzle toward the colt. "Hello there, are you alright?"

Disturbed from his sunny slumber by his bonded's observations of the foals, Zaffre woke with a yawn and a stretch, wings extending into the air. Then he peered about to see what foals she was thinking of. A merry chirp broke from him as he spotted the filly, and he padded up Smoke's back to peer down the length of her neck at the colt. Trilling his own greeting, the blue completely ignored how close he was to Paladin in favor of the pleasure the little dragon took in children.

Ranjiri</style>

Momma, did you teach Bear to be so suspicious of everyone? Sometimes I think he would rather rip someone to pieces before he really got to know them or their intentions. He looks suspiciously at the stallion that looks like you, like he's accusing him of stealing your identity or something silly. I giggle and nudge Bear with my nose. "Stop being such a grump, Bear!" I say to him. "We're going to make new friends today!" I think he groaned and rolled his eyes at me, but I don't care momma. I'm going to make friends whether he wants to or not.

"My Momma is Ktulu. She leads the Foothills with Auntie Ophie." I know I'm smiling widely when I talk about you, momma. "And my daddy is Midas. He lives in the Dragon's Throat. Momma says he has important work there as a General and that's why he can't live with us." I still don't get it, momma, but I pretend to understand so that I appear more grown up than I am.

Right when I finish talking someone runs into your lookalike's side and I duck turn my head to look. There, right next to me is another foal sprawled in the sand. "I'll help you!" I said but I forgot about that quickly when a mare peeks around your lookalike and asks if he was okay. I look back and forth between them, my eyes always going back to the blue dragon that's with the mare.

Finally, Bear makes the decision for me. He rambles over to the colt and sits by him and prods while I move to the mare. "Is he yours?" I ask as I look up at the dragon. I rear up to stand on my hind legs to get a better look, my cloven toes reaching out to steady myself against the mare, but I hesitate and wait her permission before touching her just like you taught me, momma.

Credits

aud pixel!

Soren Posts: 47
Up For Adoption atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.0 h :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
flame stock: Mr.Thomas @ flickr.com
Soren
It starts like this: with tiny hoof prints in the sand. The trail leads far and farther from his mother’s side, until some invisible wire shivers tremulously between Soren and the mare who means his life. Carefully, one wide blue eye peers over a narrow shoulder. He no longer spies Soleil in the distance, but he knows the way back.

Ahead, the ocean calls. The biggest thing he’s ever seen, it roars and crashes against the shore and its hooves are frothing white, its hide a heaving mass of deep, clear blue. Caution flutters in the careless waver of his pulse; at once he stands torn between rushing away and rushing forward. Behind him, the creaky voice of a bird splits the air. Soren rushes ahead; momentum builds in the flash of his toes. Too soon he skirts the white feet of the sea.

As he turns to play tag with the grasping waves, he spies a gathering of other horses in the distance. Their hides flash dark in the sunlight; he pauses to look down at himself, and see that his color matches, as he knew it would. He matches them better than he matches his mother, almost. The laughter leaves his gait and he stares, still far away, until his hooves move him closer.

The boy arrives late; his ears prick to the voices of other children, children so like himself. His eyes study the big stallion and the mare, though – and the bear. Soren hesitates well down the beach as he watches it. The filly at the bear’s side has golden wings; she seems unafraid. A unicorn with a stubby horn like his runs full-tilt into the stallion then, and the attention shifts a little. They look so lively; they pull him onward.

He isn’t sure what to say to them all, so when the time comes he says nothing. The pale sweep of his eyes moves over everyone, and he wonders silently if they are a family. Something about the group tickles a corner of his mind; some raw instinct draws the boy’s eyes toward the stallion towering above the others, black fur edged in white. Does he know this old man? Does he know the winged girl who looks so like the stallion? Soren only catches the tail of the girl’s words, and they mean nothing to him. He shakes his head, a ghost of char and ash just waiting to be noticed, suddenly afraid.
you're fireproof
nothing breaks your heart

Deceased
Tamme

As a rush of children approached his side, an ear tilted back to hear Smoke move from behind his figure to look at the strange sight as well. Normally children ran from him - his scarred, grizzled figure punctuated by bloody, crimson colored eyes proving rather frightening. He was the image most conjured to their minds when the phrase "never play with strangers" was ordered from parent to devilish youth.

Where Paladin offered firm greeting and question, Smoke seemed to speak softly. He had to admit that this was not a side of her he had ever truly been able to see, and he furrowed his brows for but a second, attention tilting back to the children for a brief moment. One of them cascaded into his side, and the helpless expression he angled toward the elder mare seemed to be returned with amusement that was not unwelcome.

He snorted lightly in response, but the corner of his lips cracked a half smile, crimson eyes sparkling with the birth-sparks of life before fizzling out once more. One could argue that his spirit was broken, or perhaps, he had just grown older and wiser. Even he did not know, and he preferred not to dwell on the subject much, even in his own mind.

Paladin listened to the girl speak and felt like he was hit in the chest. Ktulu had another child, this time with the black and white stallion he had spoken to earlier. The stallion was at a loss for words, trying to inhale steadily. He was not sure why this news struck him so deeply, but he knew that he was not ready to be a grandfather this soon. Perhaps it was just a father's personal lie that he forever believed his own children would stay virgins.

"Ah, we look alike because your mother is my daughter. I am your grandsire," he explained, gritting his teeth ever so slightly. Luckily enough she seemed occupied with the dragon who was chirping and a little too close for comfort. Paladin sidled away ever to slightly only to spy a silver figure in the distance, once whom he thought Soleil would keep careful watch over.

Paladin stared eye in the blues eyes at his son, and the stallion moved gently closer. "Soren," he murmured, trying not to frighten the boy who stood on the edges of the commotion as if he were afraid. "Where is your mother? Did you run far?" he asked, hints if concern grasping at corners of his heart that he had thought were torn.

Horse

Hidden Account
An ear tilted as the filly's choice chimed out the facts that the grulla mare had already presumed, dark eyes tilting up in a wondering glance toward her unwitting grandsire. He seemed taken aback, hard pressed to wrap his mind around the fact that his daughter had produced this child with the General of the Throat. It was something that threatened to make the Wild Rose chuckle aloud, but instead she reverted her attention back to the gold and black filly.

The smallest of sideways steps was taken, leaning an ashen shoulder into the filly's reaching hooves in silent acceptance of the touch and curious inquiry. "Yes, Zaffre is mine, just as I am his." The accident-prone colt remains silent so Smoke tips her head back to watch as the dragon leans precariously from her withers to sniff at the winged foal, wings flared and tail swaying to maintain his balance.

Likely that swaying tail would have bumped into Paladin had the Valiant not shifted away, first for comfort's sake and then because of yet another foal appearing on the shoreline. His movement drew Smoke's attention, making her glance away from his granddaughter to observe in silent curiousity.

The colt was of an age with the already present two, and was evidently known by Paladin, who spoke his name and inquired after his mother with just a hint of concern. An assessing glance was cast over the dark dappled coat of the colt, noting the telltale markings of a dun and the token white in his tail. There was nothing in particular to proclaim his heritage, but at the same time Smoke wondered. Just how many children did Paladin have?

Ranjiri</style>

I don't think your lookalike likes me too much, Momma. He probably thinks I didn't notice the way he said that you were his daughter. I did. I saw how he gritted his teeth. Thankfully the mare and the blue dragon seemed to not dislike me. Still, he hurt my feelings and it was hard to pretend like he didn't. No one ever didn't like me. I didn't even do anything to him, at least I don't think I did anything. I just don't understand. Maybe one day I'll understand why my Grandsire doesn't seem to like me.

Thankfully the mare began to speak and I was able to focus on her instead of your lookalike. "Zaffre." I repeated the dragon's name and forced a smile. My hooves touched her shoulder and I made sure that I didn't put too much weight on her, but she seems strong. My weight is probably nothing. I know my smile became more believable when I focused on the dragon. "Where did you get him?"

I want one. I want a dragon like that, Momma. And like Auntie Ophie's. "Auntie Ophie has a dragon." I tell the dark mare. "He's silver. Tinek. That's what Auntie Ophie calls him." I smile up at the dark mare but she seemed to be occupied with something else so I let my hooves drop back to the sand and I turn to look. Another foal had come and I tilted my head as I watched him.

Credits

aud pixel!