the Rift

[OPEN] A Crown of Ivy, An Unbroken Heart // Roland First

Rowan Posts: 76
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: 3 Years 4 Months
Brit

What a strange, exotic place.

My mane, a pale golden blonde that curls no matter the conditions it faces, is sprinkled with snowflakes that catch my gaze incessantly. It's nearly enough to drive me into frustration. This is a realm I haven't marked with my passing hooves, and the grey space on my mental map has finally urged me to traverse it. Brilliance is a heavy weight to bear, but I do not consider it brilliance. Why would I, after all? To me it is a machine, a demon I must keep at bay. As useful as it may be to me, it is all I have ever known. Strings of endless questions, thoughts that flicker and shuffle infinitely. A thousand miniscule actions and events recorded in perfect clarity in stores that are deeper than even I wish to know. Somewhere in the back of my mind the number of blinks, footfalls, stumbles, and breaths tick on a meter I can call to consciousness at any time. For so long I had thought I was a machine, a monster with emotions that had been turned to warped metal in a heart made of wheels and pulleys. I had gazed upon loving couples with envy and sorrow, believing myself unable of receiving or returning such deep emotion.

That was when my beloved friend Sohalia had told me of her pregnancy, of the life that swelled miraculously in her already swollen belly. I could not fathom how the child could grow any larger, fearing my sister would burst before the foal could be born. Of course logically, scientifically, this would not be true, but I was fearful of this event that had changed from something viewed as a bystander into something that affected me intimately. And then she'd given me quite another shock, lovingly naming me the godmother of the foal that would come from her. Of course, life had been just as unfair to my sister as it had been to me, and cursed her with a second child that would not grow, lungs that would not inflate with air. It had shattered her, and I had been helpless to comfort her. So hard I had tried, unable to reach through the haze that seemed to surround the cream ghost of my best friend. And despite her protective tendencies, her living daughter was just as lost in the numbness that my sister had fallen into. To make things worse, the mate she had loved so deeply was suddenly nowhere to be found, which made me hate him with such vehemence it shocked me. Alone and still broken into pieces I could not glue together, she had to raise her daughter, my precious goddaughter Skysong.

What could I do? I remembered so vividly my own mother, a sad-eyed ghost just like Sohalia who had abandoned me with no word of goodbye or prompt for leaving. In my best friend, my other puzzle piece, I saw the same future. Perhaps not precisely, but I feared for the tiny golden lass that looked upon me with beautiful dichromatic eyes. What would happen to her? And in my own belly, fear quivered just as much. I was terrified to be a godmother, and even more terrified by the ideas that slowly formed inside my head. I tried to fight them, quaking and weak inside. But I could not. And so I had slowly taken Skysong into my presence, and that anxiety ebbed away as if it had never been. I never wanted to take her from Sohalia, and still encouraged my darling goddaughter-turned-niece to spend time with her mother. Yet my heart yearned for her, for the innocence in those loving eyes. Suddenly I was no longer a machine, but a real being. My mind was still a beast I could barely contain, but my heart had swelled and become bright with real emotions. I loved this little one more than I had ever felt, and with such intensity it still to this day took away my breath in one fell swoop.

And a rather curious thing began to happen then. Slowly my eyes opened to all the things around me, and yet I only cared to gaze upon one. Families, laughing and loving each other so easily I envied them as I had once envied the couples with no toddling little ones. And I wanted, I craved, I longed. Not only for that love that had long been a deep secret wish of mine, but for a family. For a son or daughter of my own, a new life that would gaze upon me with love, look to me for guidance and knowledge, call me mommy. And again I was so scared, remembering the agony my mentor had gone through when our General Azzuen had passed so peacefully. The depth of that emotion terrified me, and yet I thirsted for it like a soul trapped in endless desert with no water in sight. Still I doubted myself, insecurities that had long been meaningless suddenly taking weight upon my shoulders. What if I was still far too detached from my own emotions to know how to show someone I was interested in them? What if I was too plain and bland to attract attention and all? And if I did, would my mind turn them from me like so many others? I dreaded that awful look, the one that mixed disgust, confusion, and distrust. I scared them with what I knew, what my mind could do, and it was like an iron through the heart to know that. Yet Quilyan had given me hope by calling it a gift, and Cassiopeia for telling me with certainty that I could turn it from a curse to an ally.

But...how do you even get into a relationship?

I contemplated asking someone, but the only female- or even male, I was still too new and oblivious to social norms to realize it was strange- I trusted was Sohalia, and I feared it would upset her. I supposed it would come to me in time, or it would become another dream I would never be able to achieve.

So I had traveled, as I was wont to do every once in a while. It had kept me from the borders of my home when I had first arrived in Helovia, driven me to shame and guilt that Cassiopeia had mended with gentle words and touches. Now, it was my escape. A way to become me again, though I was still shyly discovering just who that was. I was naive, foolish and trusting. As hardened as I may be from my foalhood, I knew nothing of society and conversation. Knew nothing about other people or handle them at all, in fact. Unless logic or a trick of their body presented them as a liar to me, I would have no ability of deciphering it. But I was desperate to clear my mind, and so with a gentle kiss to Skysong's brow I had been off. Intending to take not just a daily stroll, but a vacation of at least a few days to sit and untangle my thoughts and desires. So to the cold lands I had gone, knowing of the dangers but also knowing these were free lands. Why should they bother me if I was not bothering them? And if not I still remembered some rather dirty tricks when it came to brawls, having no formal tutoring other than my devilish ways as a yearling and the scraps I had forced myself into to feel something other than numb and robotic.

It was far colder here, though I mentally kicked myself for noting something so dull and idiotic. However even in the land I was born in- if you could call it that, considering my nomadic upbringing- had been arid and desolate, a land few dared to explore and fewer still desired to live on. Even so I pressed on, the only color in this washed out world the deep chocolate of my coat and the shock of cobalt within my orbs. The snow had turned my pale golden locks to near silver, and the wetness of that which piled high on the earth blackened my legs as it melted against the heat of my body. Flakes clung to my lashes and yet I ignored them, gazing around me. Perhaps I would not be so wet if I were taller, I thought to myself in half-amused bitterness. Oh, I knew I was short, and I hated it. Hated that I had to tilt my crown to the heavens to meet eyes with someone, that I could so easily be towered over. But there was nothing I could do, and I shrugged to myself whenever I turned huffy over such a simple thing.

Perhaps in gentler seasons this area was full of sparse grass and tundra, but as Orangemoon weathered on it had grown thick with the sticky freezing flakes. Shelter would be necessary soon if the ominous clouds above bore any sign of the future. With luck I could make it to the caves I had been intending to explore, take refuge there until the storm passed. I had no experience with the storms this far north, and was quite eager to add whatever I could about them to my wealth of information. Though it seemed my stature was against me, for the storm unleashed before I could find my way into the safety of one. The closest I could find was not even deep enough to offer much shelter, but I had nearly no vision in this suddenly howling bloodless place. My ears pressed back to my crown, and try as I might I couldn't keep myself from feeling terrified. I had no experience with this, and I was scolding myself for daring to venture in with no knowledge or advice from others. I cried out softly, the bleating of a lost lamb that could not be stopped, as if it were automatic. Tiny whimpers that escaped me as I pressed close to that small indent of ice, wishing I knew how to traverse this cold land. How could the inhabitants deal with these storms? Did they have ways of doing so? Would anyone see me even if they could not hear me? And if they did, would they leave me helpless until the storm passed simply because I was bare upon my head? It wouldn't seem such a frightening prospect if I knew how long these storms lasted, and had better shelter. Instead, the wind stung me like the harsh slap of a tail, something I had never experienced from the element. The snow blinded me, no longer beautiful but instead a pelting force that I was helpless against. I could not stand facing away from the wind as most did, because the wind was free to howl and twist where it may on this flat surface, and there was no real direction. So I waited, shivering and cursing my tiny frame as I shook and whimpered softly, eyes nearly fully closed to try and use the darkness as a way to soothe myself. Wishing I was enough of a believer to have a God to pray to for this to end, or for someone to at least guide me through this in my inexperience.

//ooc: Glo/Roland first please <3 others can pop in later!

Roland Posts: 230
Aurora Basin Phantom atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 8 yrs HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Glo
never take advice from someone who just admitted to being devious and just confessed to treason

It was not often that Roland felt the urge to explore, especially when Frostfall was approaching and the snow was beginning to fall more frequently, but somehow he had convinced himself to leave the borders of his home and see what the barren wasteland surrounding the valley had to offer. It had become obvious to him quite quickly that the answer was ‘not much’, but he wandered still, taking in the sight of gathering clouds and listening to the wind as it sung a haunting song over distant rocky crags and toyed with the gathering snow.

Life in the Basin was a drastic change from his past, and though it was disconcerting at times he figured variety was necessary in order to start with a clean slate. He wanted nothing to do with the memories he held from his time outside of Helovia, for he had little worth recalling from his childhood. If the overall mood of the Basin’s inhabitants reminded him eerily of his father, in what little, unpleasant time he had spent with him one starless night, he didn’t think of it; but overall he was happy in his new position, with a prescribed destination in his life to guide his steps where before he had been left to make his own purpose in the world, and he had proven to himself that he wasn’t capable of that yet. Clean slate or not, however, the storms were an irritant he would much rather do without.

The tips of his mane were still damp from his recent soak in the hot springs, a guilty pleasure Roland would never admit to aloud, but relaxing in the water with a swath of steam warming the air was the best way for him to get through a particularly chilly day. This morning was no exception, it seemed, for as he walked across the uneven ground the wind began to pick up and the gently falling snowflakes were soon being whipped through the air around him, tiny projectiles that stung as they lashed him in the face. Roland’s mane hung damp across his neck, frozen like heavy fingers of ice that bit into his skin with hooked claws. He lowered his head against the strong gales and plowed forwards, sinking up to his fetlocks in the gathering drifts of snow.

The clouds hung low overhead as the tempest grew in intensity, whiting out the land around him and filling the stallion’s ears with no noise save the rush of violent wind as it tore across the flat ground, carrying shards of ice in its wake. Roland paused a moment, battered by the storm as he peered wildly through the haze in search of shelter. It had not been long since he had last found himself caught up in a storm not unlike this one, forced out of the open air and into the throat of a cave, but he could make out nothing through the sweeping torrent of snow that swirled around him. Head bent, he pressed onwards with growing desperation, blinking through the flurry as he struggled to keep his frustration at bay.

Focused on his footing, he almost stumbled past a small hollow formed of rock and lined with pockmarked ice, but without hesitation he moved towards it, hearing the sound of muffled cries too late, barely noticeable over the sound of the wind and his growing irritation. Ducking his head, he plunged into the cave just as he caught the shape of another creature out of the corner of his eye, unaware until now that the shelter already was inhabited. Starting, he jerked his head up before his horn could catch her skin, looking at the mare with undisguised shock and incredulity. She was covered in snow and noticeably smaller than him, but he could tell she was no child. Fumbling slightly, he moved so that his body blocked her from the onslaught of snow, wincing at the chill that seeped into his muscles.

His heels were still exposed to the biting wind as he recoiled, trying to allow some distance between himself and the mare pressed against the cave’s wall. Suddenly he hoped she wouldn’t think of him as some abominable snowman come bursting from the cold, ready to finish her off after the storm had it’s go at her, as he was sure the tangle of ice and sleet that had laced itself into his mane and frozen against his damp hide made him look none too attractive. He tried not to feel self conscious as he stepped back, shaking the snowflakes from his mane and blinking away the fragments of ice that had clung to his lashes. The wind howled like a dying animal outside of the cave, viciously beating the stone walls and ghosting over Roland’s back. The Impersonator stifled a shiver as he regarded the mare with concern in his gaze, eyeing her up and down to ensure that she had come to no harm, though her cries had suggested otherwise. It was obvious she had been caught in the sudden storm too, for snow was wound throughout her hair like tangled ribbons, speckling her hide as it did with his, and he assumed they must appear to be quite the pair.

Are you alright?” He panted, eyes wide as he shook his tangled forelock from his eyes. “What on earth are you doing here?

Even in the dim light he could see that there was no horn on her head, and while the frozen plains surrounding the Basin were free to all, wanderers from the herd would still react unkindly towards any they came across who were not of their kind. Luckily, Roland was not concerned about the mare being an Equine, and wished to help her more than harm her.

image credits

Rowan Posts: 76
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: 3 Years 4 Months
Brit

I hate every noise that spills from my trembling lips, though I can no longer tell if they shudder from some strange fear I cannot place, or from the chattering of my teeth as my body objected loudly to this horrible cold world. I’d never lived in a place that wasn’t arid, dusty, and scorching nearly all hours of the day. Like a kitten dumped into water, I was cursing my mind for ever wanting to map out this place, the hand that had gotten me into that water, and into this situation. I’m still clueless as to why the pathetic sounds are slipping freely over my tongue and between my teeth anyways. Even as I cower away from the howling beast of a storm, my fear and anxiety is nowhere near high enough for such awful, pitiful whines. Unable to crush them, I grit my teeth to stop the chattering, and purse my lips until the volume is muffled effectively.

The snow stings my face and eyes, and the rushing wind over the land was even worse because I was so close to the ground, where the snow was whipped up the most. It’s impossible to see, and my mane is thick and frozen against the skin of my neck, forelock a thick clump on my crown. It’s so cold in comparison to the heat of my face that it gives me a headache, though the snow slapping into my visage may be a part of that as well. There is enough shelter, but the walls are thin and the wind was blowing right into the mouth. Had it been coming from a different angle, I wouldn’t be so prone, but I can’t change the ways of Mother Nature, and I fear if I ever thought of trying she would show me exactly how much power she held. Though I had known that I would be walking blind and without information into the Steppe, I had underestimated just how out of my element and helpless I could become. Yet my mind still hungered even in this strange weakness I currently held, wondering how the skies and weather could change in mere instants to transform a peaceful, still landscape into a furious storm like this.

I whip up rather creative curses in my thoughts, all directed towards myself. What had I gotten myself into? Why did I charge forth into a place I knew could be dangerous without asking after it from a herd member who’d traversed it before? Why didn’t I take more precaution in my judgment of distance? All these questions were meaningless now, and I wasn’t going to waste my time when I knew the answer all lay within my mind, both meanings of the wording quite fitting. I can’t tell if it’s my stature, my anxiety, or my lack of experience with the area, but the snow drifts building outside the shallow cave seemed frighteningly large. Lengthwise the shallow cove just managed to shield me fully overhead, but the pockets in the ice and the wind crushing me into the back wall did me no good. Again I foolishly wished that the storm’s furious winds could have chosen a different point of the compass to rush towards, for the shelter was only helping overhead and what little the sides could block. I pressed myself as close to the back of it as I could, turning my right side out to the snow so that I was curled up instead of utilizing the length of the cove.

Bitterly (and fiercely sarcastically too) I thanked my shortness for at least allowing me to nearly fit width-wise, but the dry humor wasn’t enough to cheer me up, and I knew I must look a sorry mess. Perhaps I resembled a polar bear by now? No, I must look like the twisted offspring of the white bear and its brown grizzly counterpart, for my dark hide was still slightly visible. That thought, at least, was a little better at lightening my mood. Not that it lasted long with this weather and the sting I was subjected to as the wind stung my skin with snow, ice, and whatever mix of snow, water, and hail was coming from the sky. My personal joke died out and in minutes I was miserable once more, anxiety growing as my helplessness became more apparent. I wasn’t used to feeling this way, and I could almost feel a panic attack coming on. I hadn’t had one since I was a filly, and I wasn’t keen on breaking my record now.

Instead of forcing myself out of it- or succumbing to it, I wouldn’t know- someone else became the distraction I desperately needed to know I wasn’t alone and trapped in some desolate, time-warped world of blinding white and stinging pain. At first I don’t see him, my own eyes shielded and almost shut with how fiercely I’m narrowing them against the wind. As if the snow would let me see past its shield of white-out anyways. But he comes regardless, a sudden flare of copper and amber, dulled in color by the flakes that cling to his coat just as they do mine. I’m so lost, so blind, and I don’t realize he’s there until he’s upon me. My chest seized up and I let out a cry of surprise and fear, the wicked curve of his horn coming rather close to my canvas. I shake, eyes wide instead of nearly shut, fearing he had come to kill me. I am small, but he towers above me, features nearly indistinguishable with the ice and flurry that covers him. My eyes fly to the horn that rests on his crown, and feel as if I’ll faint. I’m no weakling, and I’ve been in my fair share of dirty fights, but he had taken me by surprise when I was anxious, on the verge of a panic attack, and in an area I didn’t know. The noise that ripped its way free of me is just as disgustingly noticeable and scared, feminine in ways I try to destroy, as the whimpering from earlier. It takes me a few moments, huddled there in shock against the icy wall as I try to escape the horn that had been held so low towards my side, before my brain clicks and realizes that he was just as startled to see me. We hadn’t anticipated the other appearing at all. My heart flutters like a bird with a broken wing, desperate and fast.

Moving away, he does not crowd me, but I’m sure my eyes are wide and my racing pulse visible in my breaths and the thrum of my neck. And, as I calm down from the adrenaline-terror rush, I see that he is shielding my frame with his own. It confuses me, but I am touched all the same, and stop clinging to the wall like a frightened rabbit. My legs shake, not from fear but from cold. Far from equipped for this weather, my bones ached and burned with how cold they had become an oxymoron I didn’t want to dissect. How does one deal with cold weather? It was surely a far different process from dealing with unbearable heat. He gives me space, observes me, and I let myself do the same. Beneath the frost that cakes us both, he is of a rather attractive coloring, and the slimness of his breed is all I can discern other than that. We both are panting softly, though for different reasons, but the concern in his searching gaze was comforting and tender in my eyes. Even if it was only to make sure he had not hurt me with his horn, the fact he cared at all relaxed my frame until the cold was the only reason I still trembled. Able to see better now with him chivalrously protecting me from the elements, I cracked oceanic irises and fixed them upon him with gratitude and curiosity.

He speaks first, tossing clumped icy forelock away from his vision which are revealed to be a startlingly clear azure. ”I-I’m alright, yes,” I managed to stutter out, trying to figure out how to speak when I had clenched my jaw so tightly it seemed reluctant to resume its normal position. It seemed even he was aware of the dangers, though, and I cast my gaze down to where my hooves were planted along the half-snow-covered stone of the shelter. Suddenly I feel foolish, shy, and even ashamed. I look up at him once more, knowing I had to answer. ”I…well I’ve never witnessed snow before, not in this quantity…the most I’ve ever seen would be a few flakes. I was just curious, but I was foolishly unaware that the weather could change so quickly in this type of environment…” I roll dark chocolate shoulders, sheepish smile stretching my lips shyly, hoping I wasn’t being too straightforward or revealing. I didn’t want to anger or annoy him, after all. But I can’t help but recall what had happened when he had startled me, my mind recording what my emotions had covered up, just as it did every breath and step; divulging the information only when I wished to access it.

I can’t help it; his actions have won him my sympathy. Of course, not nearly as much as a herd member, but I cannot ignore that he had stopped as fast as he could in order not to harm me; shielded me from the snow with his own body, a clear discomfort from his wincing. Checked over my form to make sure I was unharmed, queried over my possible injuries. Shuffling slightly to the side, I blinked my deeper sapphire eyes at his aquamarine, concern drawing my brows close. ”Are you okay? Here, I’m sure we can both fit; I don’t want you falling ill because of me. Is there any way I can aid you? If you would feel indebted don’t worry, you have already done much for me.” Motioning to the area I had opened for him, frowning in concern at the wind that battered against him from his current position. But as I had spoken that last portion I gave a small, warm smile, hoping to ease the underlying tension and show I was no threat to him. I wasn’t a healer, possessing little experience with this kind of threat, but I knew we couldn’t remain cold forever. I was not going to simply touch him, knowing the value of personal space, but the ice and snow in his locks and upon his spine worried me. In my case, the cold had retreated to the bulk of my body by then, extremities going a bit numb. Shifting and awkwardly moving my hooves, I tried to get the blood flowing again, but my focus remained curiously, attentively, on this stranger. Only to immediately flush when I realized I hadn’t given my name, face warm beneath soaked canvas, my ears awkwardly collapsing into an apologetic, embarrassed expression. Feyther and Sohalia would have chided me for my lack of social grace, and I would have deserved it. ”Oh no, I’m so sorry, that was terribly rude of me. I’m Rowan; can I know your name?” I thought it best to leave my herdland out of the equation, if only to preserve the feeling of detached kindness I felt from him. Or was it my imagination? Was I being too nice? He had been such a gentleman, selflessly taking the sting of the elements for me, and I couldn’t be rude or suspicious in the face of such easy chivalry. In addition I tried to keep my extensive vocabulary to a minimum, desperate to keep the cherry and honey stallion near. Past experience telling me that I would scare him off if I revealed the machine I was blessed and cursed with. I was dying for company, because earlier I had felt so starkly alone, completely stranded, and I was scared to be plunged into that solitude once more, where my mind would surely feast upon my weakness and drive me to tears of self-hatred. Was it obvious in my gaze, that I was desperate for him to stay?

---
Note: This really sucked, I'm sorry ;_____;
WC: 2,025

Roland Posts: 230
Aurora Basin Phantom atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 8 yrs HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Glo
never take advice from someone who just admitted to being devious and just confessed to treason

The stallion’s sudden entrance did not seem to put the auburn mare at ease, for as he burst into the shallow throat of the cave she let out a wail that seemed to echo through the enclosed space, even when the wind was roaring at their heels. Roland shrank back at her outcry, equally as startled by her as she seemed to be by him. The slick floor called for cautious footing, and Roland staggered clumsily as he attempted to right himself, tail swinging out behind him to regain his balance. Their breath misted in the space between them, Roland’s nostrils widening as he raked in lungfuls of the frozen air and attempted to compose himself. Sapphire eyes flicked over her snow covered body once more and he was struck by how small and fragile she seemed, pressed against the wall like a frightened bird, caged between stone and stranger.

The question he posed to her was answered with a stammer, and though Roland wasn’t sure if the cold had frozen her tongue or if the shivers that wracked her body were caused by paralyzing fright, knowing she was alright set his mind at ease. He laughed at her following explanation, tossing his head back with a shake of his tangled mane. A cascade of snowflakes loosed themselves from his russet hair and tumbled down his stiff neck. “Are you satisfied with what you’ve found?” He questioned, smiling despite the chill that sank through his flesh and curled icy fingers around his bones. The Impersonator found the shy look upon her face endearing, though the sentiment was out of place as she was covered head to foot in snow, and most likely miserable beneath the timid smile.

The mare mildly reminded Roland of himself the first time he’d stumbled into the Aurora Basin, having long since forgotten herd customs and the rules regarding territory. It had been so long since he’d known a family, and in his curiousity he had naively overlooked the policy of waiting at the border rather than barging right on in; and it was not the best way to be received with open arms. Rowan, though Roland guessed she was an intelligent woman, had presumably been uneducated on the tempestuous weather that battered the northern reaches of Helovia, granting snow and debilitating wind one minute and watery sun the next, but the air never seemed to be bereft of its chill.

Despite the fact that Roland could be insensitive and had done some improper things in his past, he was sympathetic by nature and therefore glad that his openness allowed the mare to relax, muscles loosening beneath her short fur as the terror from his sudden intrusion was replaced with tentative acceptance. Already she seemed to stand taller against the rocky backdrop of the cave, unexpected concern soon darkening her features. Her inquiry initially took the stallion by surprise, but he dismissed her worries with a small shake of his head. “I’m no worse for wear, though honestly I’ll never get used to this weather.

He took the spot she offered him with a grateful smile, sidling in so the worst of the wind merely brushed against his side. No sooner had he made himself comfortable than Rowan was pinning her ears against her crown in embarrassment, apologizing profusely for deserting formalities. Funny that she should say that when he was the one who had so suddenly burst in upon her from the vicious tempest, horn glinting and eyes ablaze with adrenaline in the dim light. “No, no need to apologize,” he assured her, the edges of his mouth quirking up into a small smile. “I’m Roland.” It amused him that they shared such similar names, but he made no mention of it, absorbed instead with appreciation for her selflessness when they had only just met, and under no ideal circumstances. He found himself wishing that there were more creatures like her in the Aurora Basin; perhaps then he wouldn’t feel quite so miserable among their ranks.

Just as Rowan had done, he omitted his herd from his introduction despite wondering where she was from and how far she might have travelled just to marvel at the snow, but he could assure her it was no novelty after spending a few days wading through tall drifts of the stuff. Perhaps she had already assumed that he was from the Aurora Basin, or perhaps she thought him a wayward wanderer like herself, but he wondered what she might think of him if she had not already guessed. He was not like many of the others from the valley, thirsting to spill Equine and Pegasi blood alike, but would she know that from his actions thus far? Would she, being aware of their reputation, think ill of him for sharing ties with Psyche and her lot? He was a liar and a charlatan, but his kindness was not false, and there was no plot steeping in the back of his mind to catch her when her back was turned. Should she ask, he would not avoid the truth, and if she judged him for it he would not be surprised.

And though he was mostly unaware of her want for him to stay, he remained in place at her side because he wished to, shouldering the brunt of the wind and snow as he squinted out at the grey sky beyond the wrathful storm, the line between ground and sky indiscernible as snow was whipped around in the vicious gale. “I’m sorry you’ve picked a poor day for sightseeing. There’s no telling when this will let up.” His gaze was apologetic as he curled his neck, looking back at Rowan through the steam of his breath. “Are you cold?

(Agh, this really didn’t turn out like I wanted it to. Sorry for the delay! <3)

image credits