the Rift

[OPEN] See The Fire In My Eyes

Elektra Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Strike a match and I'll burn you to the ground
We are the jack-o-lanterns in July
Setting fire to the sky

What was it about the darkness that kept me in it for so long? I honestly don't remember, but I do remember the first time I saw the light. I had been with my mother for quite some time now, and I don't remember much but drinking milk and staying close to her. What else could I do? I was young, vulnerable, and the only thing I had was my mother. As my mother told me later, my father was no where to be found, but that was not surprising. He was busy, I knew that, but he would come eventually, or at least I hoped. But that is another story.

My eyes had been coming open for the past couple of days, and one day, I was working on getting them open. It had taken me all morning so far, and I struggled. I wanted to see what was out there in the world, and I kept tiring myself out. I slept most of the afternoon away, and I woke up a time later. I could feel that sun disappearing, and I whined, making small squeaking noises. I was upset. I wouldn't let another day past my by without me seeing it. I moved my eyes all around, and at a point I felt like they were going to pop out of my head I was putting so much pressure on them. And suddenly, my eye lids moved, and there it was.

The World.

The first thing I saw was the sun setting on a hot day in my desert homeland. It was bright, brighter than I imagined, and I went back to darkness soon after seeing the light, but I could not stay away. The sun was the light in my life, and it always would be, guiding my days. But there was another that was more influential, and I loved her since I saw her for the first time. The Moon was a beauty that I would get to know better than the Sun, and she would always be my favorite. The thrill of seeing her out, shining in the darkness, was something that I couldn't have dreamed of. She was and would always be out of reach for me, but that was something I enjoyed about her.

But for now, I watched the sun set, my amber eyes reflecting it as I stared into the ball of flame. Mother would surly notice that my eyes were open, and in case she didn't, I squealed, even making a semi growling noise for effect. I wanted mama's attention, and I would get it.

"growling"

Notes; Open to anyone!
Words;
Tag;

Credits; Photomanipulator;http://happymoonwolf.deviantart.com/art/fire-wolf-stock-310858640;
[Image: 759d8923-ed53-45ed-86ba-e12d5c963555_zpsabfd68eb.jpg]
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
the one to see you through your darkest times

A crimson sunset melted past the horizon and with a final exhausted breath sunk out of sight. Slowly, stars began to emerge, first one, than thousands seemed to pop up all at once. I stared at them through lids half sealed, my head is angled up and the expression across my features is one of blissful calm. How quiet it had been this season, and how unusual it was for so much silence to consume a soul. Tonight was a philosophers night; tracing the patterns of billions of other planets, and charting their course.

To me though, (since I was neither a philosopher, nor a star tracer), I simply took in the emotion of peace and let it spread through these loins like the wings of a butterfly slipping across my spine. Soft was the touch, and softer still was the sound of something that whimpered and whined. It wasn’t far off, and for the most part the sound went unnoticed; finally curiosity drew me (because the noise got louder.)

Shuffling quietly forward with muffled hoofbeats I peered at the ground, noticing a rising hump. Stepping around said hump I was rewarded with scuffle sounds and the muffled tones of a shrill whimper. A dark entrance lay just below my ankles, it was small—for a wolf den. I knew it was wolf by the smell. Wisdom told me to take a few steps in reverse, should a mother bitch and her cubs come tumbling out with teeth bared. Wolves weren’t like horses, they didn’t have a distinguishing scent that was easily recognizable by my nostrils. How was I supposed to know if this creature was a friend or foe, be it foe—I would have to run the beast off, better to kill this one than risk one of our little foals being attacked.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Ayaka Posts: N/A
Unregistered
The sun started to go down and down the sky filling it with colors of every hue. Sand stirred under my soft auburn pelt. The heat was beginning to fade away as the moon was getting ready to peek up through the sky. I gazed down at my lightly colored pup, Elektra. A warm smile came across my white maw. I could see that she was struggling with something, but the struggle was about was more than I knew. Ehh.. I would find out sooner or later. I rested my cranium down on my white paws and I slowly closed my fiery orbs. A chill rose in me, zipping up my spine. The sun was sinking faster and the stars were beginning to poke out.

I was awaken my squeaking and whimpering. My head shot up as I looked at Ktra. What is these were whines of distress? What is she was hurt? I don't know what I would do if something hurt her. There appeared to me nothing wrong with her, but something was different. I studied her, trying to figure out what was odd about her. Finally, I realized it. She opened her eyes! Her dark amber orbs were now shinning brightly and peering out into our sandy home. An unexplainable joy came to me. I was beyond proud of my little girl.

The moon was now in the sky and my russet pelt was beginning to shimmer and glow, as it did every night. A new sound now was coming. It was the sound of hooves. I sat up, poking my head out of my in ground den. My orange eyes came across a small built stallion with two primary colors of black and white. He had two golden tipped wings sprouting from his withers. Golden markings were below two gold eyes with no black center, and to be honest, it kind of freaked my out. He had golden hooves placed at the bottom of his legs. A color thing was draped around his neck. Motherly instincts were kicking in and a soft and mumbled growl rumbled in my throat. Was he here to hurt my pup? I would not take that chance.

"May I help you?"
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas

Let’s say that I’m not one to startle easy. In those few moments of silence, other than the sound of wind and desert sand—squeaking and clawing. Something echoes out of the dark pit, a child could have recognized it; the sound was a warning growl. Certainly wolf. Likely a bitch who is with her cubs. The snarl was expected, and didn’t cause this body to start. However, what followed certainly peaked attention into a fine tuned ring and made my heart jump a beat, “May I help you?” Words. A wolf that can speak? Dark cranium lowers again, this time I peer into the dark hole—openly curious and halfway wondering if perhaps this was another one of those confounded magical games that spirits play.

Since the raspy tone sounded at least partly female I say, “Pardons dear Lady, I heard your cub and came to investigate.” Trying to be as polite as one could when talking to the opposite of herbivore I added, “You’ll have to forgive me for asking this…but…are you one with the herd? I haven’t seen any wolves around these parts in many months; and certainly none that held the power of speech.” Wolves where usually more trouble than they were worth, often choosing to rely on their own kind for salivation—though, I had heard of a few isolated cases where canines and felines chose to linger with herds, abandoning their own kind for….lord could only guess what.

Unregistered
The black and white brute seemed startled at me. Perhaps it was because of my ability to talk to him, but then again I did just growl at him and my fur is sparkling. Well, horses were pretty weird and they act up over the smallest thing so, why he got startled was really beyond what I know. He began to talk, telling her that he only came to investigate. He asked if I lived here and then began to say that he hadn't met a wolf with the ability to communicate to horses. Well, that certainly made me feel special. I'm sure he would be even more astonished if he was that I could howl fire.

I looked down at Ktra, making sure that she was still safe and sound before I gazed back up at his pit less golden orbs. "In fact, I am part of the Dragon's Throat, and I will assume that you are too. I don't know how I can communicate with horses, but it seems I was just born with that ability." My keen nose could tell that the stallion was confused about me. It was more than likely because I was living among horses and not wolves, but to tell you the truth, I liked living with horses better. It wasn't as violent. I mean, conflict still rises between horses, but its like you have to kill to eat with horses. Of course, I still do hunt around here, catching rabbits and other small prey, but I had to. I had to keep Elektra and myself alive.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

Even appearances could be deceiving—the wolf lady verified that she was one of the herd; and I was given no reason to doubt that fact. Though the idea that a canine would share the same bed as horses, ‘was still very curious,’ I thought. Not only that, I could strike away fear that this girl was a mischievous spirit. Her essence if nothing else was certainly mortal enough—just another wayward soul who happened to have a horses tongue. Nodding I smile a little at her and ask with same curious intent, “Do you share the tongue of other creatures as well?” It would be interesting to test such a theory out on Fina, it was doubtful she would have shared my zest upon the matter though.

It was then that I remember something, a fragment of squabbling from soldiers as they pass their midday post. They had talked of a she wolf with fire in her eyes—a warrior, and one of our soldiers. At the time I had obviously been occupied and paid them little attention, now those faint ghost like voices are coming back to serve their purpose. Blinking I add gently, “Forgive me Lady Wolf also for not presenting my name, I am Midas.” If this was the same girl that my front had spoken of, then I have nearly mistaken one of the ranked soldiers for a dumb common predator. Guilty I stare into the dark hole, barely able to see her eyes and a powerful snout hosting many sharp fangs.

Unregistered
The stallion’s question to me made me wonder. Could I communicate with other animals? I knew I could communicate to cats, for whenever I had seen one of those evil things I could not help but over hear their rude remarks. Though, other than horses and cats, I did not know. I had never bothered to try to talk to something other than those two. For, if I could hear the painful screams of deer and rabbit when I hunted them, I would surely be scarred for life and never hunt again. I would rather starve than hear the painful screaks of ones that did not deserve to be harmed. “I do not know. I have never tried to speak to ones other than horses and cats.”

The next thing the black and white Pegasus did was announce his name. Midas it was. It sounded familiar. I could have sworn I heard it before among the talk of the Throat members. Though, I had not been away from my den to, once again, hear the gossip of others. Midas… I knew he was very important to this herd, though his ranking remanded blank in my mind. “It is a please to meet you Midas. Please forgive me also for not telling my name. I am Ayaka.” I smiled. My voice was warm and gentle, as was his. I pushed myself to think farther to try to remember what Midas actually was. Finally it hit me. “I have heard of that name before. Now, are you the General I am thinking of?”
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

“I have never tried to speak to ones other than horses and cats.”

My ears crept forward at her mention of ‘cats’. Intelligence instantly flashed in a useful series of imagery that included jaguars and other large felines that I had witnessed during my spare time that was spent exploring Helovian landscape. Life had granted me the privilege to speak with one male tiger late last season; though our conversation hadn’t been anything more than the sharing of a trail for a few moments. He possessed that same unusual ability to speak more than one tongue as this she wolf does.

“I am Ayaka.”

I smiled a little and nodded with regards to where I guessed her dark shape to be curled up. “I have heard of that name before. Now, are you the General I am thinking of?” Apparently we both are trying to place the other, readily I respond, “Aye sister Wolf, I’m a General for this family…and I’m presuming you are a Soldier?” It was just a guess, but I figured that such a question was safe enough for asking; despite the shame that I didn’t personally know my own ranks, “The leads keep their warriors busy,” sheepishly my grin grows wider, but eyes turn away as if ashamed to be admitting some important secret, “I don’t often get the opportunity to meet with clan brothers and sisters in arms one on one.” A poor excuse, and I don’t elaborate further—there really isn’t any good explanation for not knowing my own underlings.

Unregistered
I smiled when he that he said was the General of the Throat. It was nice to know that we having a kind soul as the leader of the warriors. At least, he was nice to me. I had known some that acted gentle and sweet to others out of pure fear, but I had a feeling that this brute was not like those. I could smell it. He also guessed that I was a soldier, and that was a great guess of his. “Yes, I am a soldier.” A gentle voice flowed out of my maw as I spoke. The steed spoke again, and I nodded my head indicating that I understood.

I quickly stole a glance down at my pup. She seemed content and maybe even asleep. She had not made a sound or stirred around that much while Midas came along. I was sure that a day full of trying to open the lips that had been closed for a long time would make one tired. I my smile grew a little as I gazed down at her, but I then looked back up at the black and white painted brute. A thought popped into my head. I had not been very active in the herd with sparring and protecting because I had been way too busy taking care of Elektra. But now she was still and possibly asleep, and maybe if this stallion was up for a little friendly fight then I could improve a little with my skills. “Midas, I have not sparred in a long time because I have been too busy taking care of my pup. Would you might want to do a spar?”
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

“Yes, I am a soldier.” I smiled at her, comforted by the fact that at least we would know each other better from here on out; no need for stress over things that had already passed. “Midas, I have not sparred in a lone time because I have been too busy taking care of my pup. Would you might want to do a spar?”What better way for us to get personal, then a good’ol scuffle? My heart quickened at the thought of challenging this creature, seeing her full potential for myself. A horse, against a wolf. With respect for my fellow sister in arms I nodded willingly and took another step back, distancing myself so she could emerge without my shadow lingering, “Certainty, Ayaka it would be my pleasure.” It was hard to think that a bitch would willingly compete against a full grown stallion, and a species of sky horses at that; but I wasn’t the type to judge on appearances. Nor would my personality be one to scoff someone for their size or manner, (considering my personal size was short in stature when pressed alongside most of my species.)

It was becoming easy to admire her personality in this short time; this lady bore a certain fire to boldly ask a stranger she had just met to dance. Kri would be proud to know that her worker bees maintained a busy nature, either with victory or defeat I knew that this would be an impressive showing for us both. Besides, Ayaka was living within a herd not a pack. Eventually this lupine would have to join her armored brothers on the front lines—and I could always use the practice when confronted with species that bore her mark.