the Rift

[OPEN] Daunting Lillies or Sweet Chainsaws

Zdravilo Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Suddenly she saw what she was looking for. It was a lake, no, not a lake, but a hot spring. It was one of the most beautiful things the young mare had ever seen. And yet she couldn't smile, nor could she walk towards the spring to drink. The water was beautiful, yes, but also frozen. Zdravilo sighed, defeated. It was practically her only warmth here, but she didn't move. She looked at the steam topped surface, thinking, weighing her options. Slowly she took a step forward, then another one, bur she stopped and just looked. She stayed twenty yards or so away from the warm water. The ice beneath her made a crunching sounds as she rested a hoof on it's fine tip. She took a step backwards, then slowly turned around.
Yes, she turned away from the water.

I was tired. Long days led to restful nights on normal occasions, but tonight, I felt strange. I walked around without purpose this night. I looked around and watched. The colorful sky displaying a rainbow-like aurora. Yet, that faded away revealing a full, white, moon. Only a soft twinkle cascaded onto her. The soft twinkle of the stars, yet, I felt restless. I was anxious for something, but what? I knew all too well that only the quietest horses traveled at night, so what did that mean for me? I snorted and tossed my head. The springs were a nice place to relax, though I felt as if I needed company to go there. I let out a low nicker as I halted. My cranium lifted, and I let my nostrils take in the clean, fresh, scent. Fluttering my eyelids just for a moment, I see the sky. What were stars? I had heard theories, though no one had ever proven these theories to me. No one had ever proven anything to me. Was this really Helovia? How should I know?!

In the midst of my doubt, a little star twinkled to life and flew across the sky. Nearly automatically, I close me eyes. "Input; a sort of knowledge, but mainly, I wish to know why I lurk around like this... I thought for a moment then reopened my eyes. I had added one more thing about a horse here in the Basin, though I'd rather keep that wish classified. I would die of embarrassment if anyone found out what I had wished for.

Smiling, I let my crown drop to it's regular place. My heart fluttering slightly, A girl can dream. I let out a soft giggle. Looking around once more, I wondered if anyone had seen that. I wondered that. What if they thought I was strange? Insecurity was an enemy of mine. Oh yes, but you know what they say, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I didn't know if this was just with biotic things, but I didn't dwell on it much.

I was a dreamer, but also a mare who would go for it.

OOC :: Woo, 501 words! :P

Valka Posts: 32
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: 3
tay
Grass had begun to die in the shadows of the Basin. Chill winds moaned down from the mountain slopes, ripping at plant and animal alike. These signs all told her Frostfall would soon arrive, but rather than shy from the cold Valka welcomed it. Difficult to believe she would soon pass her fourth year in the world… how much she had yet to see! She felt a child still, her limbs yet dainty and her skeleton yet soft. With careful steps, the mare’s long legs wound past the steaming surface of the Basin’s hot springs and she peered out into the night. Steam curled around the colors of her tail, wandered the ground past the water’s surface, but Valka paid it no mind. The steaming water disturbed her still. She much preferred the vast, cold surface of the lake. It was familiar – one of the few things in this land she could say she understood. As for her own kind… she still felt more than a little odd around them, an outsider. Whether it was by her own ineptitude or thanks to a coldness radiating from their hearts, Valka couldn’t be sure.

She wandered the land alone for now, her strange eyes watching evening fall. Grace inhabited the long, smooth roll of every stride but a childlike curiosity gleamed in her eyes. Perhaps she would meet Snö again; she thought of the cold young mare as a friend, though she was aware Snö likely had more important things to do than keep watch on a lonely filly – and Valka had no wish to be that filly, the one vying for attention endlessly. She wished to command attention with her very presence, to be a flame and not a moth… but it seemed she had a long way to go. The best she could hope for was to continue scouring this land, memorizing the name of every new unicorn she met, filing them away under some arcane order in her head. She was searching now, watching the stars spring to life in a dull sky, watching shadows stretch long and hungry over the permafrost.

Her search was rewarded by a pale shape standing lonely just ahead of her. Valka’s eyes traced the odd, notched pair of horns on the mare’s head with muted interest. She had never seen a unicorn with horns so near the shape of her own – though her own was certainly more grandiose, more sinister. Valka held her head high as she approached, and the pale eye on her right side almost glowed against the dusk, against the dark skin of her face. ”Stargazing?” she greeted the other mare casually, certain she would not prove herself a fool today. The mare tilted her long face up toward the sky and blinked. ”I’ve heard tales of those who could read fortunes in the sky… though I sometimes doubt the verity of those claims.” Valka turned her gaze to the stranger’s face again, awaiting a reaction. ”I have not seen you here before,” she stated plainly. ”My name is Valka. Yours?”

stock credit: elaineselenstock.deviantart.com | hellofascination1991.deviantart.com | burtn.deviantart.com

Unregistered
My lonely venture became not so lonely as a voice cut through the air. Startled for a moment, I turn around quickly to see... Nothing. It was pitch black outside and this mare hid well. I clenched my jaw, and just looked. After a scan of nothing turning up, I dropped my muzzle to the ground. A low bugle escaping the bellows of my body. The voice continued.

”I’ve heard tales of those who could read fortunes in the sky… though I sometimes doubt the verity of those claims.”

Then I saw the ebony form of a unicorn standing there, nearly invisible against the black ink sky. Smiling, I trotted a few steps to catch up to her. As we stood face to face, she introduced herself as Valka. It was a nice name, though I don't think anything is much weirder than Zdravilo. I let my whiskey muzzle stretch out towards hers. It was a simple gesture, much similar to a greeting. "Hi Valka! I'm Dravilo. I don't think you've seen me since I'm a new horse here, despite that, this feels like home. Well, I'm this herds Scourge. Do you have a rank?" I asked innocently. My sweet vocals echoing through the basin. I blinked my velvet eyelashes and waited for a response. Perhaps she didn't have one, and I'd made her feel awkward, but I was a a curious horse.

Valka was a strange lookin' girl. She had a white under belly, yet her coat was solid obsidian. She had one horn that was off center. I knew my dream wouldn't come true as I expected, nor would it pan out. "Do you make wishes on flying stars?" I knew many things, I saw many things, and not only that, I felt things.

Aurora Basin Mare
tay
This new unicorn – Zdravilo, she soon introduced herself – exuded an uncommon sort of amity. In stark contrast to such overt friendliness, Valka slowly raised her head and gazed down at the other with cool eyes. It was… a welcome change, but how did one respond to these gestures? With grace, Valka supposed. She nodded.

”Scourge,” Valka repeated, one ear flicking thoughtfully back. What was a scourge? Did she really know so little? Suddenly, she wished she had asked Snö more – what was she really doing here? Taking up space? ”You must be gifted, then,” she added, trying to turn the words sweet though they tasted awfully bitter on her tongue. You are new, she thought, eyes burning across the stranger’s pale hide. Why are you farther than I am already? Evidently, she was doing something wrong… Perhaps the way to win hearts was with transparent cheer? Valka could manage almost anything, she thought, but probably not… that

”I’m afraid I am simply a mare,” she said in answer to Zdravilo’s question. ”I dream of earning a high rank by helping our dear herdmates, but it seems I still have far to work…” Valka stared out into the distance as she spoke, thoughts moving quietly through her head. Perhaps she could never be this mare, but there was always the possibility of using the mare… Not hurting her, no, but learning what her secret was – if it was more than bland, openhearted kindness.

Valka was already balking at the thought.

Luckily, perhaps, Zdravilo changed the topic back to stars and Valka was distracted. Did she make wishes on flying stars? To be entirely honest, it seemed an odd custom; what could stars possibly care for her? She preferred not to be indebted to anything so strange and far-off, anyway, and with a curious tilt of her head, Valka let her features tighten into a sort of frown. ”No,” she responded. ”But perhaps I should start.” An odd thing, almost like laughter, trickled into her voice. Out of curiosity, she added, ”What kind of things do you wish for?”

stock credit: elaineselenstock.deviantart.com | hellofascination1991.deviantart.com | burtn.deviantart.com

Unregistered
This mare gave me an ODD feeling. I didn't really know why, but my guard was up, which was a rare thing. ”Scourge, you must be gifted, then,” I gave her a soft smile then continued. "Well, I don't know. Medicine just fascinates me. It's more of a natural way." I smiled, it was increasingly awkward for me. We were dead opposites, and it was quite obvious. She was a dark shadowy black color, where as I was light with soft liquid honey splotches. It looked like she was blind in one eye, which freaked me out kind of. I had two-toned eyes. Green like herbs and grass and then orange for the pretty sun. She had one straight, proud horn, I had two antlers. We already seemed so different, though opposites attract.

...Right?

Anyways, she said no, and I frowned. Though I listened. "Valka, shooting stars are something one may only ever see once maybe twice. I used to hear stories about horses who wished on them and got their wish. Though, sometimes, I feel silly doing it. The reality is, I feel everything is chance. Nothing is from wishing, but chance. I still wish on them because one never knows. Oh, what I wish for? Well right then and there I wished for a successful future, though I've been trying hard. You could wish for anything. From Mauja to die to Sun God to love you. You can wish for items, magic, a companion... Anything!" I smiled, lifted my fine snout to the skies, closed my eyes, and took in a soft breath. My sea foam wave dancing with the breezy wind as I held that position. After a moment, I come back to reality.

Sadly, fairy tales were for stories. Otherwise, I would be with my Prince Charming, loving and doting on him as we walk on the beach and watch the sun set. Oh, how romantic! I knew if even Prometheus did that, if fall in love. Who wouldn't?

Aurora Basin Mare
tay
Eagerly, Valka listened to this friendly new mare in silence. Only in the very back of Valka’s mind did the situation seem odd – a little strange, as if the other mare were scrutinizing her again and again, not in judgment but in wariness. Valka was keen to shake off the sensation, pushing it away as her own nerves. She had done nothing to arouse suspicion; she was being positively friendly, wasn’t she? This other mare must like her, then. They must become friends.

Valka’s head bobbed when Zdravilo spoke about medicine; the practice had never fascinated Valka much, but it did lead the dark mare to wondering briefly about other things – what did she find interesting? If she wanted to best serve the herd, it was likely time to choose her own profession… one at which she would excel. She didn’t know Zdravilo well enough to ask for help, though she knew she had little interest in joining the ranks of the scourge. So Valka let the comment pass on by, and their conversation at last turned back to the stars – which, Valka soon realized, Zdravilo seemed quite passionate about.

One may only see one or two shooting stars in a lifetime… Valka tilted her long face toward the heavens, mismatched eyes gleaming with reflected starlight. She rarely bothered to look up at the sky, she realized now; it seemed always there, a permanent fixture unlikely to change in any interesting way. She recalled a time in her childhood, though, when she would have coveted this information and used it dearly; Valka could imagine her small self peering upward, wishing desperately. The thought filled her with a small ache; was this mare so desperate for something as well that she threw her chances to faith? Slowly Valka’s gaze fell back to Zdravilo.

”Why would I want Mauja dead?” she asked with a frown. Of all things, that particular statement caught her attention, and a quiet surge of warning filled the young mare’s chest. Perhaps it was just an example, but still… a very strange one. Valka doubted Snö would allow such a statement to slip by without notice, and so she, too, took the opportunity to ask.

Unregistered
”Why would I want Mauja dead?”

After a short passionate speech, I got a few words. Well it was something. Yet, I wanted to know why she turned down the Mauja part. In a flicker of an eyelash, a smile came onto my face. "Do we have a Sun God fan here?" I winked at her quickly. I was kidding around, hoping she'd get it was a joke. Yet maybe in the future she'd really like him, who knows.

"Valka, what interests you most in the entire universe? Objects, professions... anything." I smiled softly waiting for her response. My ivory tail slapping against my butt cheeks, then resting before restarting the process of smacking. My ivory lashes blinking a few times.

Valka was strange, yet interesting.

My gaurd went back down as I intently listen to her for an answer. I've always been fascinated by the Earth. The facts that the Earth spins at four thousand miles an hour and never stops, or the fact we somehow go around the sun. My parents told me it was called gravy ity... or something like that. I don't really remember, considering I was a tiny foal, with a short term memory.

To be honest, I don't remember much of my childhood. I just remember being an explorer with a fake sword and imaginary crew members. That was the life! No worrying about wars and stuff happening. I didn't care about magic or anything. I was what one would call, carefree. I think I still am carefree...

OOC - Crappy crappy short.