the Rift

[OPEN] Memories have left you broken [Kri]

Cassiopeia Posts: 171
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hands :: 8 years old
Phantom

Dear Azzuen,
I begin to wonder when time will take its course in mending my wounds. They say time is the best medicine, but I find its methods ineffective. If anything, time has hindered me. I have lost so much of it brooding, but for that I have only myself to blame. Cirrus and Azulee are doing just fine. Oh, how I wish you could see them now. I look at them and I see your face. I gaze into their eyes and I swear I can see you staring back at me.

It feels so good to be free of that prison, to stretch my wings and feel the wind preen my feathers. Onni realigned the bone; it's a wonder it is even functional considering all it has been through. The heat of the desert has never felt this good. It is waning somewhat as Frostfall transcends, but it is far from cold. Midas is the one who helped me escape. I have regained much of my strength, but it has been hard getting used to things again. I have been replaced as Oracle, but I had expected as such. Avalon seems a capable mare, if perhaps a bit brash. I do not question the Sun God's resolve, however. He demoted me as he saw fit, and I have no reason to argue. I am just tired, my love. Tired of living, I suppose; tired of waking up each morning as the pearl gray blush of dawn breaks across the darkened sky and not seeing your face. I awaken each morning at the time you used to greet the sun, resuming your daily duties as the Tuuli's general, and I am left with a gaping emptiness in my heart. Your absence is felt everywhere.

Everything reminds me of you.

Sometimes I wish I felt nothing; it would be easier that way, easier to cope, but this pain is what reminds me that I am alive; I live, and yet the Gods deemed you should, no longer. I can't help but feel anger. I am angry that I feel so lost without you, mostly at the Gods. It hurts to remember, but how can I possibly forget? You, my love, are unforgettable - and why would I want to? It is not you that I wish not to remember, it is the pain. It seems the two of you have become synonymous as of late. I hope never to forget what you have given me. I just wish it wasn't so painful sometimes.

Sincerely yours,

Cassiopeia

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

speak of all the love we lost and what it cost us</style>
left us to beg our breath would stop, but we kept on</style>
AND WE WERE STRONG.</style>

"Cassiopeia," my voice is calm and light, like the exhale of a breath, as I see the dark figure of one of my oldest friends. I am not sure she considered me a friend, for she was of a different nature than her late love, Azzuen. I have always thought of Cassie as a mysterious, soft spoken mare with a gentle nature. I remember upon my arrival, she had pledged allegiance to my cause, the cause of my people. To this day, she has given much for our family, though many may not remember all she has sacrificed. Despite the peaceful heart I saw within her, she had attempted to prepare for a battle in my name, the battle who had taken Voltaic.

Thank goodness the rest were spared.

Still, as my dark blue eyes land upon her frame, she appears weary. It is true that she has been absent for so long, trapped within a foreign home and broken by vultures of my land. Unfortunately, even my brave soul could not best Psyche in her own home. I am useless to protect her, like all of the others, from this evil which encroaches. Looking toward her tired and beaten form, I am reminded that my ego has grown large, but we are vulnerable alone. For too long, I have sat by and put my beloved ones, like Cassiopeia, in danger with inactivity. I allow them to be stolen, injured, and worn until they return home like ghosts who know little else what to do.

However, I know that her heart is heavy for other reasons as well. Azzuen's absence was felt everywhere, like the pain left in aching muscles and bones long after the original wound has healed. The sand whispered of his life, and the winds reminded me of the day his body floated away. This was more of a comfort to me, knowing that an old friend was watching over me still. But, to the one who captured his heart, what would the reminders feel like? Knives stabbing into her own? I did not know, for while I was not naive to the pains of childbirth, I had no memory of romantic love. I can only recall the pain which struck in my heart when I believed my daughter dead. My mind was uneasy for years, and Onni had returned to my side. I fear the only reunion awaiting Cassiopeia is in her own death.

I let out a gentle sigh, before coming to stand beside her, looking over toward her charcoal face and bright teal eyes. "I am grateful to see you home once again."

What else could I say?
""

KRI the RESOLUTE</style>
MY FRIENDS, I'M ONLY FLESH AND BONE, BUT I WON'T LET YOU DIE ALONE.</style>

image by vinothchandar @ flickr.com

Hidden Account
Phantom

Dear Azzuen,

"Kri. It is good to see you, my friend." I offer her a smile. Is she my friend? I had thought I had none. I have grown to dislike my distant nature. Friendship seems to sprout from every crevice among my contemporaries, and yet I have made few friends in my time here. Or have I? You, Azzuen, were my greatest companion, but you are gone and I am left with no one but our daughters who grow more independent of me each day - I am both thankful and saddened by that, for we all must find our own way in life.

"I am grateful to be home." I say this with great conviction, but I find myself questioning the genuineness of my words. Is this place truly home, or simply a melancholy beacon of times now gone? Memories seem to float on the very breeze, sweetening the air with a vaguely bitter after-taste. What use do I have left? I am no longer Oracle - perhaps the only thing I am good at. I am no longer a lover or a wife, I am no longer needed as a mother, for our daughters are strong and my teats are dry. I am sadly uncertain I will ever raise another child. I offer no skills in defense of the land that has sheltered me or to the mare who has protected me from my first days in this strange land of the Sun, so different from the moon-shadowed valleys of my birth.

I am unneeded here. Why do I remain?
Because this is the last place I feel your presence.
Or it is because I hope you will return?

That is a sad, sad hope, indeed.

I sigh gently. "The desert is beautiful," I say as I stand statuesque, my mane and tail gently billowing in the warm breath of the wind. Why must I be at a loss of words? I don't wish to bore her with my pensive musings of the scenery, but the artistry of nature is truly a masterpiece to me. It is as if the sun catches the world on fire with a single passionate kiss to unite the the sky and earth's dark bosom and even the clouds blush at its touch. Its radiant light even drenches my sultana's coat with a warm glow, though my gaze does not meet her's as it drifts across the horizon.

There it is again; even in such warm company, I feel so coolly distant.

Sincerely yours,

Cassiopeia

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

I had few friends, in truth. My personality was rough like a burr, and I found myself more often than not pissing off my company. All who resided in my home, which were many, I take as family. However, many families do not see perfectly eye to eye. I would take Midas as a friend, a confidant if I ever needed an ear. Mirage in the distant World's Edge had long been my friend and companion. Azzuen, the late General, I would know as my brother and friend. His lady, Cassieopeia? I would risk my life to save her, as I always would, but we were distant relatives, I think. Bold, that is what I think calling her a friend would be. She offers it so easily to me, though, her friendship, at least in words.

I smile, a delicate expression which tugs newly forming lines along my eyes, reminding me I am aging despite the virulent spirit which surges in my veins. My prime is kept only by vigorous exercise and practice, but should I slack on my duties I would certainly become an arthritic bitty. No matter how strong the heart, your body may not always listen. Do I fear death? No. I fear being trapped alive in a useless body.

Looking toward the dark cast mare, I wonder how she feels. Her face feels like a mask mimicking words but not actually feeling their intent - grateful. She says it, happily, yet I do not feel the word resounding my chest like it does in my mind. Despite the lighthearted words, melancholy settles in around us. I know her heart is heavy, for it pushes against my own. I cannot rouse her like I did Midas with battle, for she is a peaceful soul. I am useless as her Sultana, in this moment, for she does not need a Commander but a friend. Can I be her friend?

"The desert reminds me of the brothers buried in the sand," I say, in response to her words. "Colorful and vibrant like their spirits, warm like their hearts, and always comforting to lay eyes upon." I smile sadly, thinking of both Voltaic and Azzuen, sons of Legends in Isilme. Legends of their own here. I miss them both, my first Generals, but I could do little but want for their company now. "I am sorry, Cassie, for all the times I failed you and him."

"If I could be half of what I promise, you would never have been harmed."

KRI the RESOLUTE</style>

Hidden Account
Phantom

Dear Azzuen,

I take a deep breath, eyes veiled behind dark lids for but a moment as I fight back the melancholy. I can feel is seep down into my heart as my eyes reopen - such a bitter, sweet emotion. But truth is, I almost like it. It reminds me that I am alive, that I still feel. I have not gone numb just yet. A semisweet wisp of a smile curls along my lips as she mentions you and all the other great souls we have lost. Voltaic, Azzuen, Jayden. I knew you would never leave this place, my love. It is here that you lived, and it is here now that you rest in peace, eternal. "Yes," I say, finally, my gaze still leveled to the fiery horizon. "They are as much a part of this place now as the wind and the sand, though I cannot help but feel longing." My smile fades. An apology bristles against my ears, and I turn to regard our sultana with a soft and vaguely quizzical expression. "Failed us?" I repeat. "No," I say, shaking my head as I seek to reassure her, my posture relaxed in her presence. "You did so much for us, Kri, that I am eternally grateful. Azzuen would have followed you to the ends of the earth." If anything it is I who have failed you.

I forget what it sounded like to hear you laugh. The music is gone. I recall your voice, but even that is fading and I am left with the profound despair that I have lost something beautiful. "I miss him, dearly," I nearly whisper, my voice a soft hum. "Not a day goes by that I don't wander why he was taken from us so soon. I suppose the Gods took him, because his spirit was strong; he was so full of life. They were greedy, and I do not blame them. The day he left us, we lost something truly magnificent, and the world will never be the same." I sigh. "Forgive me. I don't mean to be such heavy company. These past months have been... difficult." First losing you and being unable to solvent our daughters' broken heart when my own was wounded so deeply, then being abducted from my home - the last place I feel your presence - to then be demoted from doing the one thing I am good at. When will I recover?

Sincerely yours,

Cassiopeia

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

Death is so very hard on those left alive. Maybe this is why I do not fear the end of my life, for I know that I will not be the one left in pain. The living walk in the shadow of the dead, feeling the coolness of their absence like the desert sands in the absence of the sun. Even now, I feel the heat seeping from the sand as darkness usurps the kingdom of light. Unlike those lost, the sun will always return. Those shadows which crowd our life, the spirits of loved ones, would never let their light return. Would our sun ever rise again after they are gone? That is why some die; we are frigid from the loss of love in our hearts.

As I look at Cassiopeia, I can feel the coolness of her spirit. Such a large portion of it had been robbed away too soon, and while I loved Azzuen as a brother, she had let him claim her heart. Wreathed in sorrow and grief, no wonder she had grown cold, colder still in the Basin. I lower my head as she glances at me, my dark eyes catching on the expression she makes.
Questioning, as if she had no idea why I was apologizing.

I look out toward the horizon with her, as the star-wielding maiden spoke of all I had done. I want to laugh cruelly, but remain silent. I gathered a home for my kin and held it fast for them, yet I could not hold all of my family safe in my heart. Some slipped out and fell, broken upon the ground. I was never born to be a leader, yet I found myself holding my post now, even years after I had been granted the crown of Isilme's Cliffs. Maybe I was trusted for my strength; maybe I was respected because of my sharp tongue. I did not know why I was placed here, despite my inability to sit passively. That had been my intent in Isilme, just to inspire some movement in the hooves of my winged brothers. In Helovia, I had sought to protect my brethren still, but why did I claim leadership? Because no one else would?

Sometimes, I still do not know. However, I am still leader, and I can still fail my people no matter the excuse I would hide behind. If I had been a good leader for Cassiopeia, she would never have faced such torment. I am a protector. None should be damaged under my watch. "I feel as though you have wrongfully paid my debt," I say, my voice quiet, looking at her with dark eyes.

I listen to her speak about the Ardent, her voice so low I can barely capture it. I swivel my ears in her direction, listening intently, my face turning so that I can watch the expressions dance across her face. "The loss of Azzuen shook the earth," I say in response, nodding gently. "No matter how peacefully he left us." Even the Gods seemed to honor his death quietly, the fallen General, the last son of the Crimson Cliffs. I could only allow him to pass from this world without guilt, if the dead could listen, for I knew he had done more than his share for this herd. Full of life, but so very old if we counted age by deeds.

"You needn't apologize, friend. Mourning is natural, and grief is a strong enemy."

KRI the RESOLUTE</style>