the Rift

[OPEN] from the embers, smoke does rise

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie

tell me that you want to dance, want to feel your pulse on mine
just treat me like a stolen glance of yourself.

Why come home?

To Illynx, it wasn't the simplest of questions; Helovia was not much better off than the rest of the world, devoured by the magic that filtered through the veins of the earth just as they tried to stay abreast, attempted to wield that which could not be tamed. And perhaps, just perhaps, that was why she had come home, even after wandering nameless expanses and kingdoms. She was, after all, born here, and while she did not feel that she owed Helovia anything, she also knew that the best chance to grow was where your roots were - and both she and Helovia were two of a kind; illustrious and beautiful, full of treachery and tempered secrets. They could not be defined, and she had found that most other places were easily numbered and listed. Not to mention, integrated.

And so it was a blessed evening when a trail of crescent indentions trailed behind her in the subtly glistening layer of frost, her ebony tail dragging along in between the hoof-prints to leave a rather individual trail among the paths that her horned brethren had left on their journeys to and from the Basin. She could smell them, the bright and cleanly scent of other unicorns, untainted with the sour odor of horses and the dusty, mite ridden feathers of pegasi, as it had been all across this cursed continent. No, no, there was no better place than Helovia for Illynx; it was the only place where others of her species had not gone utterly mad and begun breeding with dogs.

As she crested the final batch of rocks and stepped into the peaceful clearing, she found herself warmed despite the chill of the autumn air. The scent of all those she had left behind lingered in the icy breeze, invoking images of their faces and the sound of their voices; she found it rather odd to feel such emotions over these near strangers, the only one with whom she had ever found friendship being Psyche, but she finally deduced that it was merely weariness playing games with her usually steadfast mind. Slowly, and with liberal gazes spread across her horizons, she made her way to the usual cave in which she had spent her nights here before she had decided to venture out into the wilderness, the wind lifting her jet black tresses about capriciously. When she reached her destination, she found with a slight inner thrill that the loose covering of moss that dangled over the front of her nesting place had become coated in a millimeter of frost, turning the deep green foliage into a glistening and unusual emerald that she slipped underneath, the cold tips of the plant dragging across her golden strewn back. Her golden hooves clicked beneath her as she turned around to peer out of her damp resting place, eyes gazing distantly out over the waters as she dozed into sleep.

Because home is where the purebreds are.

Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil

Home had been an elusive concept to the shadow-mare for many years, but she had begun to understand what it meant. When she looked out over the Basin, the snow-capped peaks surrounding their little valley gave her a sense of security. When she walked through the trees on chilly nights, the sound of her herd sleeping calmed her. When she waded through the shallows of the hot spring, she was filled with a warmth that had nothing to do with the water. Beyond physical appearances and sensations, she also felt at home there - it was unquestionably her domain, irrevocably her responsibility. It was a fine line that she walked between dictatorship and friendship, and odd mixture of leadership and tenderness.

So much had happened in only two seasons - well, not quite two, yet, but almost - and she felt immensely different from the mare she had been once. She did not feel old, but she did feel wise, much wiser in the ways of the world than her previous self had been. She had learned to curb her tongue, she had learned the advantages of friendship, and she had learned that caring was not weakness, at least not in the way she had previously thought. Friendship could always be used against you, that was true, but if anything, it made you stronger. After all, if she were in trouble, she had at least one spotted stallion that she could depend on for help. Not that she intended to need his help, but it was reassuring nonetheless.

The affection of her herd, too, was priceless, and this was another lesson. Once she had aimed to rule with fear, but she had begun to understand the dangers of such leadership. It was better to be liked, it would seem, and although she did not seem to have quite won the hearts of the older members of the herd, she thought she had done fairly well with the new. Besides, did it matter if they were loyal to she or Mauja, so long as they were loyal to one or the other? She would not act to alienate them, but neither would she go out of her way to befriend those who clearly preferred the FrostHeart as their leader. She herself certainly enjoyed his company, though she wished she knew where they stood in more... absolute terms.

A familiar scent caught in her nares and she lifted her cranium into the wind. A light breeze drifted from the north, stirring the feathers wound through her banner. They brushed gently along her nape, raising goosebumps where they touched. She had not thought to welcome Illynx home again, and yet she was most certainly here. Perhaps they had not seen each other in a long while, but the shade had not forgotten. After all, what with her recent discoveries, Illynx would be among the few individuals she could truly call 'friend.' Pistons blurred into an easy canter up a small hill, heading for the many caves that lined the base of the mountains. She was not hurried; after all, if she had returned, Illynx was surely there to stay. Still, she wished to offer a greeting before anyone else could.

The mouth of the cave was dark, more so than normal in the low light of evening. She paused for a moment inside, allowing her amber orbs to adjust to the darker setting, and then offered a coy smile. It was her trademark, that smile, but there was something different in it, something almost welcoming. "Illynx, darling," she said sweetly. "I never thought I'd see you again, but welcome home."

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Something in her subconcious told her that someone was coming towards her, but in her dreams it was merely a lone wolf come to pry upon Illynx as she knelt, half submerged, into a stream that was partially iced over, filling herself with mouthful after mouthful of deliciously frigid water. She grew colder and colder with every sip, but the wolf grew louder as well, until finally the stream and the dark boughs of the trees about her dissipated and she found herself back in her cozy (as the Basin could provide) cavern. And in the place of the umber wolf, there was instead a familiar and welcome face; Psyche.

Were those extra charms in her mane? The sight of the plumes and molars split a smile across her face, eerie in the partial darkness of the damp nitch, her beautiful leader darker still than the slick corners and shadows that surrounded them. If it had been anyone else that had roused the sleeping minx, she would have deposited them alongside the boulders and fallen ice outside or died trying to do so; but this, this was a rather welcome intrusion, even as exhausted as she found herself. Illynx tilted one ear back in mild annoyance at the discovery that her nap had only sufficed to make her desire for rest all the more dire, interrupted as she met the amber eyes of Psyche just as the ebonite queen spoke, finding a slight trill of enthusiasm at the warmth that had flickered in the back of her dearest friends eyes, a split second's picture of what the two women shared.

"Dearest Psyche," she simpered, her neck arching gracefully as she swept her nose down to her chest in a curteous bow; her dearest, perhaps, but still her superior, no matter that their circumstances could very well be reversed were she the type to fall into relationships as Psyche had with Mauja, or had even desired to lead others in general. This was a logic Illynx had deduced from the simple ease of their friendship; any two temptresses who could mesh so well with one another were surely as evenly matched as any two could be, elsewise - well, one of them would be dead already. It was another reason why she respected Psyche so much - her power had only seemed to grow in Illynx's abscense, further darkening the line that had already begun to seperate their places among the herd, but here she was, her smile lovely to behold after the months of lonesome wandering. Who knew I could feel such things? she wondered to herself, searching for an answer in the vaguely kind smile of her friend. She found that she had already known this to begin with, and perhaps that was why she had left in the first place. "I never thought I would go so mad," the deep bay fem laced her words with a breathless giggle, her head tilting slightly as she placed her words together, "but I find that I have grown to call this ice pit home."

Her dark tresses swiped lazily at her sides, her temporary humor forgotten almost instantly as she found herself remembering the world outside their haven of snow, the plague that crept across the earth in the form of hornless scum and feathered villany, back to their true purposes to have banded together in the first place. It drew her curiousity to the scents of others that were missing on the breeze that had lived here when she left, the strange atmosphere about Psyche that said not all had been well in the land of ice and stone, or perhaps Helovia in general. When has this accursed world ever been well to begin with? Never. But still, it tugged at her, and so she extended her worries to the pitch unicorn. "How have things fared in my absence?"

Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

[OOC | I am so, so sorry about the wait. <'3 ]

Not much had changed about her once-loyal subject. Still loyal, she reminded herself quickly. After all, Illynx had returned, had she not? The dark bay pelt covered a lithe, agile bodice. Her head carried her golden horn proudly, an ornament that perfectly accented her dished cranium. The golden swirls criss-crossing over her body shimmered faintly in the low light, as did the socks that adorned her hooves. That gold streak in her banner was still there - a silly observation, because what else would it have done, grown out? Golden gaze met amber, and within both pairs of cool depths there was a spark of warmth. Perhaps it would be odd for Illynx, returned to find the Lady of the Basin capable of true friendship, but how could she not be? Of all the Plague, Illynx had been loyal only to her, rather than to Mauja. She could rely on this old friend, for it would appear that they had left Helovia at the same time. It would also appear that they had both been drawn back for a reason.

There was warmth in Illynx's greeting as well, and the Empress was surprised by the happiness that bubbled within her at the realization. A small, but true, smile rose to take its place on her maw. "It is a good home, once you get used to it." It was true, but it still sent a pang through her. Once, she and Illynx had resided together in the World's Edge. Would things have been different if they had lived here, surrounded by mountains and almost untouchable? Or would Mirage and her band of miscreants have prevailed regardless of their attempts?

It was a pointless question now.

Illynx's question split the comfortable silence, coloring it with something akin to worry. A small frown appeared on the shade's face. "Well, and then not well," she admitted ruefully. "Much has happened. We have grown stronger, but I am afraid that we need... more. I rule the Aurora Basin alongside Mauja - you'll remember him, I'm sure - and our ranks have grown since we have arrived in this valley. Still, we are no closer to victory. There are plans that are beginning to fall into place, but strange things have been happening outside out borders, as well..." She went on to explain their stint in the Frostbreathe Steppe after their exile from the Edge, the God of Time leading them into the Basin, the various prisoners and slaves that they had held for short times, the odd dopplegangers rumored to have taken hold of the neutral lands. So much had happened, more than she had even realized.

She did not mention Mauja again. Thought Illynx was, perhaps, one of the few true friends she could claim, her affair with Mauja was something that she still held tightly to her breast. She did not want to share the memory of the day in the Arch. She did not want to admit that she had allowed her feelings to show. She did not want to talk about the way his touch made her feel. No, of this she said nothing, though she shared everything else before falling silent.

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

[ ooc: Quite alright. :3 Life can be hectic at points lol. ]

Loyalty had been a curious sensation to Illynx the first time she felt it, and then it had only been to her parents and those of her own species, for reasons limited and few; now, she felt it pulling at her from all directions, no longer directed towards her dead family or in a general siphon towards the horned race. It was slowly refining itself, seaming into the fabric of her very nature, into two separate paths; she felt a deep, thriving loyalty to the Plague and those within the Basin, perhaps stemmed from her own insecurities at having abandoned not only her position but those who had depended on her, and a deeper, more vibrant vein of devotion given only to Psyche. The only time she had cared for another individual's well being at this level had been when she was barely weaned, caring through for the first year or so of her life until the ties with her mother and father had been severed short by time, the gracefully curved arc of death. What was all the more curious to the femme was that she had never noticed her emotional attachment to any of them until the time had come for them to part; only then did she feel a slowly weeping wound in her chest, where once warmth had settled and grown.

It was not to say that she would ever voice how she felt aloud, her reasoning two-fold as her line of affections; one, she would firstly have to really admit to herself that she was capable of sensations other than anger, gratification, and lust, and two, that Psyche herself may disown the brindled mare if she were to openly display such signs of weakness. Had Illynx known or been capable to pry into the black mare's head, however, she would have discovered exactly the opposite - and precisely why she and the Dark Empress made such a fine set of companions, down to the timing of their mutual disappearances. "It is a good home, once you get used to it." stated the white trimmed queen, and Illynx nodded her agreement slowly, just as the pair of them synced into thoughts of the Edge; it did not create feelings of regret in her, however, merely stemmed feelings of aggression (perhaps because of the newness of the wound) towards those who had come to take what was not rightfully theirs and filled it with mixed blood filth. "Any place free of over-sized turkey vultures and earth wallowers is a good enough place," she concluded, more for herself than for Psyche, though she looked coyly towards the black mare; a soft apology lingered behind the golden laced lady's features for having abandoned her companions at their time of need. Illynx still skirted her foaling ground with a wide berth to avoid sighting the blasphemy that had over run it, her ire filled heart too eager to rush in, swords blazing, only to be over run by parasites in the end.

Still, one could not trump a martyrdom, and surely it would ease the guilt she now felt, running her eyes across Psyche's face and finding the frowning visages of all those who had been forced from their homes.

The conversation then took its turn to present events, a list of things that defined the haunted expression just behind the jovial smile of companionship that lingered upon Psyche's features; it would seem things were both very much the same and very different from when Illynx had taken her leave. She nodded in remembrance of Mauja, the spotted stallion that led at Psyche's side, the few adventures that their ragtag band had partaken of in her absence, and stood staring blankly at the mention of doppelgangers. The thought alone made her mildly irate- another temptingly gorgeous, golden patterned mynx parading around Helovia being nice to the feathered mutants made Illynx feel dangerously challenged, not to mention offended.

Knowing full and well that there were those walking among them who could speak to Gods and foretell the future, it was all the more unsettling to think that it was yet unresolved. A dark magic, she figured, but what sort? Perhaps it was the very land itself revolting against the way the breeds mingled with one another, their blood lines becoming such a muddy pool that Illynx wondered if she and her companions in the Plague would die the last pure unicorns on the earth. Or, in the case of the sun god's wrath, it was merely a cruel jest being played upon the mortals by their creators; neither to her really seemed all that likely. The last God to play king of the mortals got cast into solitude for the rest of eternity by his brethren; she found it rather hard to believe that another immortal would be so foolish as the Sun God. "Are there no leads as to their origin?" she queried, knowing full and well that there more than likely weren't, or Psyche would have shared. A frown creased her face, ears tilting back slightly in thought, and worry, "I know our priorities should be gaining and focusing the power of our movement... but this sounds incredibly, well, dangerous Psyche." And to Illynx, dangerous generally meant lucrative.

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

For many years, the shadow-mare had thought herself immune to emotion, claiming only a deep-seated hatred for the lesser species of the universe as her own. Now she could see that this notion had been a foolish one; buried within her blackened heart lay feelings of affection and devotion, the like of which she had seen only on the faces of others and never in herself. Allowing them to surface was, in a way, like coming up for air. She had never thought to savor the balance between good and evil, but in allowing herself to care for those for whom she claimed leadership, she allowed herself a bottomless sea of strength, for she knew that she could call upon them in a time of need without second-guessing their reasons for coming to her aid. They would assist her, and she would assist them, setting aside their differences in belief for the good of their home.

She had not seen the strength that was inherent in this alliance, but now she had found this light. Perhaps her herd would not notice a difference in her, save for ever-so-slightly less chilled words and the smallest smidgeon of warmth in her gaze. To those who knew her best, though, a small transformation likely seemed to have overtaken the Empress, this shadow-mare trimmed in ivory who seemed to finally have found a balance between bloodlust and loyalty, between her impassioned heart and a cool head. Or perhaps even they would miss the telltale signs of what the Lady might once have called weakness. She did not know, and in truth, only a small part of her cared. Should they be newly come or old hooves, they relied on her just as she relied on them. Perhaps one day she would establish her dominance in a way that would bring all to her side willingly, but for now, her alliance with the FrostHeart would serve to do that with no extra effort on her part.

"... over-sized turkey vultures..." Illynx was saying, a a slight chuckle left the upturned lips of the Dark Empress. How fitting the description was for the mutated hornless, how apt the newly returned unicorn's disgust. "That is is," she agreed, and in the glance that the two shared a moment later, there was a shared sense of apology, for it would seem that both had deserted their cause at the time of greatest need. Had Psyche been able to read her old friend's thoughts, she might find that they were one and the same; but alas, she could only hope to convey acceptance in her amber eyes, seeing the vague guilt in the golden orbs before her. A sense of relief washed over her as the guilt changed to rage before her very eyes at the mention of recent events, and she could tell that Illynx was just as irritated at the thought of a nice version of herself parading throughout the lands as Psyche was.

"Some say that these pseudo-characters fell through a rift of time; others say they were spirited here by an unfortunately unskilled magician." She made a face. "Clearly, those who made that particular rumor are not very familiar with our land." She shook her head. "No, I'm afraid we have no leads on that front." To the gold-freckled mare's next words, the Empress nodded. "The movement is on its way, darling, though we have been quiet of late. The other herds have begun to suspect that all is not as it seems here." She smiled. "Luckily, the only challenger we have seen was bested by yours truly, so all has been well since then. As for these doppleganger rumors... well, I should like to find one myself, but I have had no luck. Perhaps you will prove luckier than I."

A short silence ensued in which the shade appeared to be lost in thought. She had a large herd, perhaps the largest in the lands of Helovia, though she wasn't sure that she had heard proper counts of late. In this herd, however, she had been hard-pressed to find promising recruits deserving of promotion. Her gaze skimmed over the hardened, honed lines of Illynx's bodice as she remembered her follower's skill in battle, and quickly came to a decision. Perhaps those in the herd would not like it, seeing as Illynx was newly returned, but damn them all. The gold-toned fae would prove herself more than half the herd would ever have a chance to. "Have you given much thought to what you're going to do here, my dear? We are currently in need of an excellent fighter to assist in leading our soldiers. How about it, Illynx? Rejoin our ranks as a Corporal." It was half question, half command; but really, the femme had the right to refuse should she choose - but somehow the Lady of the Basin doubted that refusal would come up.

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Illynx had to reassure herself that she was seeing correctly; was that a soft understanding, an acceptance of failures, writ ever so carefully across Pysche's face? Her eyebrows creased slightly as she wondered just how much both of them had changed in their outside endeavors, despite the fact that they remained physically the same as they had always been. She knew everything there was to know about her own inward adjustments, but Illynx had not been born with telepathy, however alluring the prospect of peering into other's minds was to her; but she found that the more she imagined cracking the code into Psyche's metaphorical safe of thoughts, the more uncomfortable she became. It seemed almost too personal to know everything that went on inside another's head, especially when some of those thoughts could pertain to her own failures. What was even worse than that was when she thought of her own brain being invaded by an outsider - how very unsettling.

But there was little time to dwell on random could be's when there were things happening in the present of much more importance. Her ears pulled forward and she listened to the words of her white trimmed Lady with a keen interest, finding that she was both deeply allured and disgusted by the concept of duplicates running rampant through the wilds. "...others say they were spirited here by an unfortunately unskilled magician," said Psyche, her following words making the golden female giggle despite the serious topic, knowing full and well the strange conclusions outsiders drew from the even stranger occurrences within Helovia. Her girlish chortle was cut short, however, by the affirmation that there were no actual truths to be told about the mimics other than that they simply were. Her mouth became a tight and serious line, golden orbs darkening as she pondered the concept of a rift allowing another dimension to slide into theirs. It seemed possible, even more so considering the sheer power of Time itself; this very cave was living proof, slowly eroded by water over countless years. But, just as the comparison of stone wearing away, time could not cause changes alone - it required another, outside force. She wondered if this was the case with the rifts, making the possibility of a magician likely after all.

She kept her musings to herself for the time being, listening to the continuance of Psyche's detail of affairs. A smirk found itself upon her features as her friend and leader told of her victory over the outsider, dark and reveling. It was to be expected that others were catching on - she herself may be partially to blame, making no secret of her distaste of the other species when it was brought up in conversation or she was, Goddess forbid, forced to deal with one of the beasties, and she figured that many of her peers were much as she was.

"As for these doppelganger rumors... well, I should like to find one myself, but I have had no luck. Perhaps you will prove luckier than I," her smirk softened into a genuine smile at this, the words themselves stoking the pride she already felt of herself and further kindling the affection she had for Psyche as well as bringing to mind another curious prospect about the mirror folk - could they be captured or killed? "I would like to know if they could at least have an end brought to them, if not killed, at least examined to discover why they are here," she trailed off slightly at the end, wondering who exactly their best physician was at this point in time, and finding she did not know. Perhaps Psyche didn't, either, as they both had been out of the loop for a while. "I am sure that somewhere in Helovia there is some one suited for such science, but I am afraid I am only a warrior, not a scholar."

It seemed that the black temptress now was lost in her own thoughts for a moment, and Illynx gave her silence, watching comfortably with a rear hoof balanced on it's point. The Dark Empress seemed to be looking over her old friend, a sensation that Illynx found to be mildly anxiety inducing but also pleasurable, as she seemed to be approved of. Abruptly, Psyche broke her silence and the slight tension that had begun to build within the golden detailed mare, drawing not only a smile to the features of the pretty seal brown lady but also a shimmering future into mind. "But of course, darling, how can I refuse a position in which my talents would be so aptly used?"

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

The gold-covered mare accepted her offer, just as the shade had expected. A smile was offered, genuine but nonetheless terrifying as she realized what greatness the pair of them could contrive. "I thought you might say that," she chuckled. It was a relief, to be truthful. Of those that inhabited the top-ranking positions of her herd, there were few that she could count as loyal to her. Deimos, an imposing figure even before one remembered his magic, was sworn to Mauja and the herd, but not to her. Faelene, the Thief, sought to protect the Basin, and though she and the Empress had an alliance of sorts, she was loathe to call it true loyalty. Myrrdin was old enough to be tied to the land itself, really. He was well-suited for the task of advising, but again there was not true loyalty. d'Artagnan did not trust her and, like Deimos, held a deep-deated fealty to the FrostHeart. Crowley was the only one of her five that she felt really respected her.

The next tier was a mixture of new and old, a mixture of herself and Mauja's followers. Sure, they would all assist her, would all work together if need be, but if she were to disappear, who would mourn her? Very few. It was time that changed, and Illynx was the first piece of the puzzle. If she could promote those that she trusted and those that would do their job properly, she would create a loyal army that would follow she and her Lord, for the sake of the land that they shared. This, truly, was the beginning of her dream; the remainder included taking over the remainder of Helovia in a mass genocide that would leave her supreme ruler of the world, but one must take their plans one step at a time.

"As to the falsities, I agree that a study of them would be prudent. Among our ranks, the good doctor - d'Artagnan the Nightshade - would prove capable. And we have a young scholar, Zikar-Sin, his name is, who might also take an interest in the task. That is, assuming that one could be captured or killed, which I am unsure of." Perhaps it would be best to understand these pseudo-selves, whatever they may be. After all, with growing tension between her harem and the mutants of the Throat, she should know if they would affect any of her not-quite-formed plans. "When you have rested, do take a look for one, won't you, darling?"

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

The deep brown mare felt at peace with her new situation, the itch of anxiety relieved now that she knew she was forgiven for having vanished; she hadn't been sure it was there, but now that it was gone, she found that her eyes felt heavier than they had when she'd fallen asleep in the first place. She smiled warmly at her oldest friend in all the world, her heart swollen with pride in herself and a strengthened faith in their friendship; there were few who had seen Illynx in battle, most having died or vanished from Helovia long ago, but Psyche remembered where Illynx's strengths lie and intended on utilizing them as fully as the golden laced mare herself. Though it may very well have been weariness making her brain coat itself in fluff, she felt an odd sensation that the two of them had only just begun their true lives together; the years spent as children and naive adults had honed them for a purpose that was beginning to unfold right here, in this very cave.

It made a shiver trace itself along the golden spine of the freshly promoted Corporal; the wit of both the women combined made for a deadly enough combination, but when paired with both of their indomitable will as well as their lifelong knowledge of one another made them almost unstoppable. The added danger of those who had already nestled themselves into the Basin alongside the pair made the Plague almost insatiably powerful, in Illynx's opinion, a great improvement to how she had felt about their efforts the day she had left Helovia. All that held them back now - from what she had gathered - was the lack of numbers, and numbers were only a matter of time. Her tongue pressed itself between her teeth as she thought of the cleansing that would soon follow, golden orbs burning softly as she returned her mind to the present.

d'Artagnan the Nightshade, Zikar-Sin. She filed the names away in her head, not recalling any faces but believing she wouldn't need them with their callings. While Psyche was still unsure as to whether or not anything ill could befall the mimics, it seemed fair enough to Illynx to at least try. She knew that she would have to have a good set of soldiers to bring with her on the hunt as well as a contingency plan should things fall through - it was liable that attacking one of the devils would bring a whole mass of them down around their flanks. "It will require much thought on strategy, something I am not fit for this evening," she giggled, feeling her legs tingle with weariness beneath her, and it seemed that Psyche had already known she was suffering from her long trek home. The mare felt a soft frown line her face at the mention of her last rest, finding herself unable to remember right off the top of her head. Was I really so desperate to return? "Most favorably," she smiled, starting to nod a simple farewell and then becoming overwhelmed with the desire to touch the black shoulder of her lady; she did so gently, pressing one side of her charcoal hued muzzle to the whither of Psyche, taking in a small breath of her scent as she did so, bringing with it a flood of childhood memories that, if Psyche decided to react violently to being touched, made it entirely worth it. She curved her face away, neck bowing gently so that her gilded orbs could meet the warm honey hued gaze of the black mare, her head full of questions posed to herself as to what in the world had overcome her. "I am glad to have seen you again," she said, softly, "perhaps I will be less weary next we speak."

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

Weariness was a weakness that she had come to understand in the last year; she herself had felt it in abundance as she and her herd struggled through the coldest Frostfall in living memory. They had wintered in the Frostbreath Steppe, an uninviting place at the best of times, and it had taken all of their strength to simply find food. Water, at least, had been plentiful, though it had shown itself mostly in frozen form, and the frigidity of the northern lands had discouraged many from journeying into their presence. This Frostfall was shaping up to be much more pleasant. The valley in which they resided rarely seemed to feel the chill of the open steppe outside the pass, warmed as they were by the hot springs. Food, too, was plentiful, and the caves around the valley gave them shelter. She had to hand it to the Time God; he had known what he was doing when he led them here.

The gold-laced fae had made it to the valley just in the nick of time, it would seem, and the shadow-mare was grateful for it. To again find herself in the company of one so trusted was a blessing. The touch of her friend brought a small smile to the Lady's face, and then it was gone, leaving in its stead a gentle warmth that seemed to emanate from beneath the skin. Looking back, she could not understand her former aversion to physical affection (or mental affection, for that matter). She had found herself shortly before in Mauja's embrace, and now she accepted Illynx's touch with ease. Had she missed these feelings her whole life? For the first time, she began to feel as though her life had cheated her.

"Do rest well, darling. We will speak soon." The Dark Empress smiled again and then turned to walk out of the cave.

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.