the Rift

[OPEN] lend me strength and courage

Amara Posts: 136
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sameira :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire dark

I was growing slowly, the fluff on my wings beginning to drop, slowly being replaced by feathers. And my hair was growing longer, although by only a small bit. I'm still unable to fly, but I can glide for a short few seconds. Today, while the sun was still below the horizon, I had slipped away from daddy and the others. I was still a little unsure about the colt, Caenan. He was Cosette's real child, unlike me, who just needed a mare to nurse from, seeing as how my mom died. Because of you, a voice somewhere deep within my head spat. My little ears flicked back, and I gazed farther down the shore. I adjusted my pace so I began to canter, flinging sand in all directions.

Within a few minutes I had reached my little rocky shelf that stood around seven or eight feet in height with a four foot overhang. The cave itself was around twelve feet in diameter. There were little rock shelves that I placed multiple trinkets upon. In the very beck there was a small pillow that had my doll propped on top of it. I walked inside, my head outstretched. Mother's feathers brushes against my neck as I reached out for my doll. My velveteen nose bumped against her face and I smiled. Reassured that she was okay, I moved back out of the cave. I trotted up a small slope so that I stood on top of the rocky shelf and spread my wings. They were small and thin, sitting upon my withers kind of awkwardly. My wings resembled those of a seagull, small, lithe, good for gliding over water. Staring off at the sea, I back up by a few steps before lunging forward, mustering all my strength. I throw myself off of the ledge, spreading my wings as far as I could. A gust of salty air blew me back, and I angle my wings. It was only a few seconds that I was aloft, but it felt like ages. My small and weak muscles began to grow tired, and I drifted towards the sea. The waves caught me, wrapping tightly around me. Pushing with my legs, I swam only a foot or two before I found the sandy ground.

I reached the shore, excited. I stretched my wings, flapping them, acting as though I was really flying. Another breeze blew sand into my face. Snorting to keep the sand from entering my lungs, I turn away and take shelter in the rocky shelf. I let my thoughts drift to the newest pirate member, Caenan. I could still remember my breakdown upon seeing his birth. The memory still hung around like dew hangs to the grass, making it glimmer and bend.

I was still unsure of him, for I barely talked to him. In fact, I barely even saw him. It was only during my feedings that I saw him. For we did share the same food source, Cosette. As soon as I was full I would always hurry away to practice my flying or swimming. Usually flying though, for if I didn't practice my flight skills I would just be an equine with useless, weak wings hanging from my sides. At least, that's what I think I'd become.

By now the sun was beginning to raise into the sky, making the water glimmer beautiful yellows, blues, purples, oranges and pinks. The sun itself was a giant glowing ball of heat. I watch the sky's reflection dance on the waves before heading back to the top of the rock shelf to practice my gliding.

It was probably my fourth time today launching myself into the air, spreading my wings and soaring. But this time, I drifted longer. I began to tilt my right wing, trying to curve back around. But much to my dismay, I lost my balance and plummeted into the waves. A wave caught me like a soft hand, pulling my into the water before letting me go afloat. I lay my wings out so that they lay above the water and paddle my way back to shore.

"Talk talk talk."

[[Sorry this is so long and rambly... ^^;]]

Image Credits

Selene Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Image and video hosting by TinyPicSelene
so where do we go from here?

What the hell are you doing?…

The skies resembled that of a colorful blanket strewn across the heaves as the chilling wind plummeted through the swollen clouds, unfurling bits of the mares auburn locks. Selene admired the facade of hues staining atmosphere high above the terrain below. Massive ebony wings cruised the thermals, the breeze buffeting the highlighted white tips of her feathers. At this moment, she felt a wave of pure relaxation collapse over her. The sensation chilled her to the very marrow, as she thew her head upwards in a playful manner. A cheeky grin managed to crease across her velvet maw as powerful legs lurched forwards to gain momentum. She had always been one for adventure and getting herself into risky or unpleasant situations. It was a trait she wasn't the least bit bothered by. Perhaps this was the reason she took such a quick liking to the pirates. It suited her well, and she of all knew it. She enjoyed being free to do what she wished, when she desired. Something she had been deprived of the majority of her life. She tried to forget her past, but it had the strangest ways of turning up.

With a narrow of her crimson orbs, avian wings were tightly closed against her barrels as she dove through layers upon layers of cloud cover. She sliced through them like a hot knife through butter, gaining haste and acceleration by the second. Legs were heaved forwards into a galloping motion as thick muscles rippled underneath a deep chestnut pelt. Veins began to protrude from the skin, as nostrils fluctuated in distress. A beach could be conceived beneath the hazy fog as selene began to slow her rapid pace. Her colossal wingspan sprawled outwards with spry timing, leveling her out. The atmosphere was thick with salt, as the acrid wind parched the inside of her mouth. The beach appeared to be empty, so she circled the area for an appropriate place to land. Flapping her wings vigorously, she attempted to obtain her balance by letting her hind legs hit the sand before ultimately striking the earth with her front legs. The whole process was fairly graceful, although she had only done it a thousand times. The sand felt soothing with every footfall, as she observed the waves gently lapping at her hooves.

The beach was devoid of life, not a bird, or even a crab searching for scraps. But a sudden splash in the water ahead caught her immediate attention. It was a pegasus like herself, but far younger. A worried expression crossed her visage as the foal plummeted into the crashing waves, but she seemed to be perfectly capable in the art of swimming. She was a bit far away to take in any details so Selene decided to take a closer look. With a lurch of her hind legs, she bolted into a canter, giant wings flapping slowly at each of her sides. She was rather beautiful, the reds and blacks truly contrasted together well. As the filly neared she skidded to a rather graceful stop, her long forelock bobbing over one eye. A kind grin spread across her lips as she outstretched her nape towards the adolescent. She was drenched from ear to hoof, the sea water dripping from her interestingly colored bodice. She was of a chestnut like herself, random assorted spots gifted the upper half of her pelt. Selene hoped she wouldn't frighten the filly by her intimidating height. Well, she did stand at a whopping 17 hands. It was quite tall for a mare to say the least.

Although selene seemed to be kind, she had her wits about her. She was one to become cocky and arrogant most of the time. But this was a mere filly, so nothing was to be worried about. "Hello there. Ya know, damp wings aren't the best for flying my dear." Although she did look a bit young to be flying yet, it was a possibility. "Where are your parents?" It was simple, obvious question. She stated with smooth, delicate tones to not daunt the little one before her.
"blah blah blah."

Word count-681

I was just beginning to swim back to shore when I spotted another horse. A pegasus. She had a chestnut coat and large black wings, and she was huge compared to me, a small foal. I gazed in awe at her wings, monstrous compared to my miniature wings. I felt as though my jaw was to drop soon, for I was in awe.

She told me wet wings didn't do so well with flying, and I just smiled. I suppose it was true, but seagulls had sleek wings that could easily deflect water. So hopefully, when my wings grew actual feathers, I would be able to splash into the water and fly away with sodden wings without any worry. Of course, this was still far off in the distance, seeing as how I was only a few months. The mare asked where mommy and daddy were, and I formed my words. "Daddeeee. Wifth... perates." I found it hard to speak, because I was still so young. And trying to pronounce the words was also difficult. "Ayeeee. Take. Yooo. Toooo. Mommeeeeee." I smiled, turning around and bounding forward, my eyes set on the ground. I hoped the mare was following, so I could point mommy out to her.

I led the mare to mommy. The sand was still a faded pink, from that day. Mommy lay there, her wings gone, her rib bones caved in. A few of her teeth had fallen into the sand. Mommy's mane was gone, and few of her feathers remained. I pointed to Mommy's skeleton and said, "Mommeeeee." I smiled slightly, hoping not to scare the mare. "Ayee. Ammmaraaa." My words seemed longer as I spoke them aloud than when I spoke them in my mind. I bore my metallic amber gaze into the mare, as though I was expecting her to turn into a water horse and join the ocean. But nothing happened.

Opening my little lips once more, I ask a question this time. "Teach. Meeee. Toooo. Flaaiii?" I tilt my head to the side, flicking my ears back and giving the mare a sweet, innocent look. The look a puppy dog would give you. I wanted to learn how to fly, how to battle another while staying aloft. I was a dreamer, who wanted to put her dreams into motion. I was desperate to learn aerial combat, although it would prove a challenge because of my smaller size. But I would also have some advantages. This was a big dream for a small foal like me, but hey, I was a big dreamer. So I needed to take the first step into reaching my dreams. I needed to learn to fly. But this first step was still a long ways away, my small, mental fingers only brushing against this 'first step'.

"Talk talk talk."

[[sorry amara's speech is weird, she's young. ^^;]]

Image Credits

Selene Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Image and video hosting by TinyPic SELENE
so where do we go from here?

The wind was bitter. It bit at her skin with gnarling flurries of frigid air. Selene hated cold weather. Since when was a beach cold? Although she had never set foot on one while winter was blasting its numbing fury. The filly stood before her with widened eyes, and a humble jaw hanging slightly open in awe. Had she never seen another pegasus? Well, thats what it looked like. Selene scarcely shifted her chin upwards in a haughty superior type of manner. She didn't mean anything by it, it was just her. The filly seemed to be cheerful and confident and this calmed selene. At least she didn't have to fake a personality to put the little one at peace. Rubbish. This filly seemed strong and full of adventure which was surprising at her age. Maybe she was younger than selene had thought. In fact, the young filly reminded selene of herself. As soon as i manged to form my simple naive question, the filly didn't hesitate to respond with meek tones that fumbled from her lips. 'Daddeeee. Wifth... perates.'

As soon as the words fell from the young ones lips, a smile followed closely behind, forming at the corners of Selenes velvet chops. The way she attempted to pronounce her speech was rather amusing to her. Who was the sire? She hadn't seen another pegasus among the pirates, nor any of the fillies coloring. Was she adopted, or possibly taken in? Before she could ponder her thoughts anymore, the fillies fragile tones broke the silence. 'Ayeeee. Take. Yooo. Toooo. Mommeeeeee.' It was understandable, but hardly. But the filly was much to charming to ignore. With an encouraging bob of her skull, she followed the filly cautiously with ears erect. She wasn't quite sure of where the filly was taking her, nor did selene care; but she wanted to see who called the little one their daughter. A sudden gust of wind blew a rather putrid stench unto her nostrils. She snorted quite loudly, shuddering her shoudlers. It smelled of death and decaying flesh.

Before she could raise her head to inspect the smell any further, the filly spoke. 'Mommeeeee.' A confused expression crossed her face as she studied the fillies features before her eyes revealed a rather unpleasant surprise. There rested a horse, crumbling in decomposition. Selene was sent flying backwards in fright. More surprise than fear was shown in her face. It appeared to have once been a pegasus, the majority of the wings were consumed as only a few feathers and tendons remained. Despite the ugly site, the mare seemed as though she has passed away peacefully. Her body was basically untouched, even the gulls hadn't bothered to pick at her remains. This is what she called mother? A rotting skeleton lying on the shore? Outrageous! Had she died while birthing? The filly didn't seem to be phased by the site nor was she mournful.

Selene tucked her massive wings tightly against her sides, as a knot formed in her throat that couldn't be swallowed. The little one broke the terrifying silence with her meek voice. 'Ayee. Ammmaraaa.' Amara? The name fit her appearance and her fearless strong willed attitude. She seemed to be taking this situation better than herself. That was obvious. She wasn't quite sure what to say. What was there to say? Already she had seen alot. A breathless carcass of a horse disintegrating on the sand? With a wince of her eyes, her crimson gaze wearily returned to Amara's. The inside of her mouth became dry as she tried to speak. "It's lovely to meet you Amara, I-I am Selene." She forced a grin across her lips as her gaze traced over the body once again. "What happened to her..?..." What? She is probably grieving enough for her! Don't return those memories to her little mind! Although the filly didn't seem to mind the sight of her deceased mother. That didn't matter, it was time to change the subject. She fiddled her hooves uncomfortably, auburn locks dancing across her muscular nape. "It looks like we are going to be seeing eachother quite often, now. I have joined the Pirates not long ago." She outstretched her neck with a smile bumping the fillies neck with her maw gently. She tried to avoid disturbing the body by walking around it with a respectable distance.

She hoped the filly was following her, thick brawn rippled underneath her pelt as the waves beat the shore somewhat harshly. The filly spoke of flying. She was a natural teacher. So if the filly wanted to learn to fly, than so be it. "Of course! I know the perfect place for learning!" And with that said, she tossed her head playfully, bouncing into a brisk trot. "Come on!" She looked back at Amara with a wide grin. She gazed ahead at the rock shelf ahead, trying to forget the odd encounter with the fillies 'mother.'

"blah blah blah."

Sorry for the wait! I apologize if its long and rambly. c:
Word count- 826 :D

I watched with close eyes, staring at the mare as she saw my mommy. I grinned cheekily until I realized the shock and horror that drifted in the strangers' eyes. Then I dropped the corners of my lips, my eyes dropping. I didn't realize it was such a horrid sight, since I was so used to seeing mommy.

I smiled at the mare, pointing to mommy again after she, Selene, introduced herself and asked a question. "Meeeeee.... borrrrnnn..... keeeel mommmeeee." It was hard to explain, for I never really thought about how my mother had died, at least, not until now. I couldn't remember much, since who remembers their exact birth day? I certainly didn't. "Bloooddeeeee." I snorted, gazing at the chestnut mare and then at mommy. There was the faintest bit of bloody sand, although now it was a bright pink because of the water and the sun.

I smiled when she told me she could teach me to fly. I nodded my head and then spun around, calling out, "meee cheeeckkk someeeftinnggg!" I bounded to my little cave, making sure my little doll was safe and sound in her usual spot on a low rock shelf. As soon as I knew she was safe, I raced back to the mare. She tossed her head and started at a quick trot, speeding ahead. I hesitated, then I reared up and charged after her, giggling a little. My gait was much smoother than hers, I pondered for a moment before shaking the question from my head and speeding forward, trying to stay beside Selene as we raced forth, toward a rock shelf.

My eyes lit up and I smiled. I slowed down a little, not wanting to waste all my energy on running. I was excited, my heart fluttering like a little clump of butterflies. I gazed at the mare, my small amber eyes gleaming as I beamed up at her. I lowered my gaze from her face to her wings. They were much larger than mine in comparison, and I was a little envious that she had all her feathers, and she probably knows how to do cool aerial tricks too. I gazed at her, my eyes tracing over every single feather on her wing. Excitement had now engulfed me, and I was ready to bounce about as I followed the mare, the excitement building up sky high.

"Talk talk talk."

[[bleh post it bleh]]

Image Credits