the Rift

A Dance to Remember [moved]

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
MIRAGE:

Quote:Spring was rich in the atmosphere. Flowers blossomed, grasses grew, leaves filled gaps in trees that would otherwise look like stark, brown skeletons. Lush foliage fed the herbivorous creatures of the land, allowing them to put on condition and weight after the chilly winter. This allowed carnivorous creatures to prey upon them, so that they in turn could grow fat and healthy.

One such carnivorous creature was a golden queen dragon, largest and oldest of the land. Her own coat gleamed with a shimmer that was nearing on unnatural – she was in prime condition, and the timing of the season meant she glowed almost of her own accord. As the Sun rose on this dawn, she basked in its glory, wings outstretched as she absorbed the radiant heat given to her by the huge glowing orb. The cliffs edge that she was resting upon today was populated, by mostly male wild dragons. Jewelled eyes twirled, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange, finally settling upon a crimson red. If her muzzle could twist into a smile, it would; for there she was the queen of her race, being appropriately adored by the masses.

With a sudden movement, the queen was now on the move, flying just above the canopy of the trees below, a flock of beasts behind her. Bloodlust filled her, and as a team they located an appropriately sustained herd of deer. Despatch of the first beast was simple for the queen, however when she went to gorge herself upon the meat, a strong voice overpowered her actions. Blood only, it spoke, and though the dragon’s first reaction was to refute the command, she obeyed, and drained the beast of all its blood. Meat would only slow her down; blood would give her the hot energy she needed to fly as fast and as high as she could. Another kill was despatched, the golden one berating any nearby who dared get too close to her game. Akaith! Blood only! The demand was placed harsher this time, for the one bonded could tell how close the queen was to forgetting as her bloodlust grew. Once again, blood trickled down her throat, invigorating her. If her scales were shining before, they sparkled like gilded diamonds now.

And then she was off. Her wings pumped her lithe bodice to the air, the energy given to her by the blood propelling her at a startling rate. Many followed her, and many gave up not even a few metres above the treeline. They were hued with weaker colours of blue and red, even the odd black and white had a go at following the gold. But it was browns, bronzes and silvers who had any chance at all. However as the gold’s altitude continued growing, any lingering browns were exhausted. The queen’s speed never faltered, even as gales buffeted her. The underbellies of clouds were near her now. Though her body could keep climbing, her patience grew tired of waiting to see who would pass her test of endurance.

Suddenly an enormous, overwhelmingly hot spout of heat exploded from her muzzle. It was white-hot, and only those with scales able to withstand it would survive it. Her followers were all dragons, strong and fit males, but it would take one with cunning in order to catch this queen. She surrounded herself in the flames, bodice twirling in an elegant dance.

It surprised her when someone’s strong, silver frame wrapped itself about her own.

One had broken through the threshold of flame and devious dances. One had endured her flight. Creening, many others fell from the sky, but for the rest of the day, Akaith and this wild silver would become One. He was almost as large as she, and it was obvious he was cunning and clever, for he managed to catch her. He glistened like a gem too, he was fit and young, and deserved the win that he got. Joining in with her, the silver spouted flames from his muzzle, and they performed their intimate dance in a ball of flames. It was neither of the dragon’s first time, though perhaps their first time together. It was glorious.

Many kilometres away, upon the ground, a black mare, in equally stunning condition, sweated in the morning sun. She too watched the dawn, but her thoughts were elsewhere. Her dark hide reflected the Sun’s rays with a new sheen, the season had been kind to her and shed out her winter coat quite early. The resulting pelt was spectacular, and the bodice it clung to was equally chiselled to perfection.

The mare was on the move, a fast paced, twisted journey across many lands within the realm of Helovia. Her movements were what could be called a dance, an expression of her inner most self – at least, what was going through her at this moment. As the dragon she was bonded to diver for her kill, Mirage bounded over a log, landing with a great thud. It was she who spoke to her dragon, enforcing the blood only rule, knowing that Akaith would not clutch a viable lot of eggs if she did otherwise. So the mare exercised her influence over the mare, though it was tenuous at best at the moment, the mare poured everything she had to wash her control over the gold. Mirage was glad that Akaith only chose to devour two beasts, for she doubted her control would stretch as far as another. She was running now, as Akaith gained in altitude. Her hooves devoured all the land before her, fields, twisted forest paths, hills, valleys, streams; all of it went by her in the blink of an eye. The mare was not built for speed, but rather endurance, but she powered on anyway, her energy never seeming to fade.

The climax was met with a long whinny cast out over the lands she now stood momentarily still in. Golden gaze peered at the lands, snow still littered parts of this realm, despite the fresh Spring air. She looked to the skies, registering briefly that the Sun was already setting. Had she truly been moving that whole time? And still she had energy to burn, still Akaith flew with her newfound silver friend. Upon the Steppe the mirage of a mare then moved, her cloak having activated. Every other stride the illusion dropped, and in the twilight the mare danced. Pirouetting, sliding to a sudden stop, pivoting upon a hind leg and darting off again in the opposite direction. Leaping into the air, twisting her bodice and kicking up her heels, she landed and galloped onwards, a shimmering black flame flickering in and out of existence.

As far as thoughts running through her head, carnal desires squashed most of them out of the way. But there were some familiar faces making appearances every now and then. Old faces of acquaintances she had made from the Path, names forgotten but appearances remembered. And then faces from Isilme, a stallion with a bronze dragon in particular, Gunslinger – she missed him at this moment. She wondered whether had Clip been here he would have risen with Akaith today. But then more memories swirled her head, as the mare once again experienced her fertile season alone. It was not anger that fuelled her, nor sadness, but simple and complete passion for life. Mirage lived for the moment, and at this moment her thoughts were torn between two faces, one of a golden stallion and one of a hybrid bronze beast.

A cunning silver creature had caught the devious golden queen, who would catch the obsidian mirage as she made her lusty dance?

[ ooc : Open ]

VIKRAM:

Quote:She was not as alone as she thought, oh no. Golden, cat-slitted eyes had been lifted to watch the rising of a golden queen, great broad wings had been mantled with the instinctive desire to partake of the intricate dance. Yet he knew he had not the proper design to stand any real chance with the (to him) petite gold. A yearning rumble vibrated in his chest, only to fall silent as his mind proposed another. The black mare who was connected to the queen, the only other today who would understand.

So even before the dragons launched themselves skyward to test their mettle, the bronzen stallion was aloft and seeking the other half of this match. Behind him, in the growing distance, rose the golden queen and her suitors. But it was far to the north that he came across the one he sought, her figure slipping in and out of view beneath the cover of her magic as she... danced. Down he flew, to land with a flurry of dust and snow. Before he could call to her, he knew. Nares flared wide with her scent as pupils dialated. Ears twitched nervously even while those massive wings were held up and out. Somehow he had not expected this, and now stood still and unsure of himself as his gaze sought to follow her dancing, flickering figure.

"Mirage..." His voice rumbled out low over the tundra, body shifting forward into a slow trot almost despite himself. He had no way of knowing if she'd even welcome his presence at the present moment, much less his company while she was in her present state. But he followed her regardless, body less agile than hers but patient. Instinct lured him toward her, fueled by hormones that had risen with her dragon. Yet something held him back at the same time. A vaguely recollected memory at this moment of another who possessed a greater right than he... but it was hard to think of exactly who at the moment.

TORASIN:

Quote:Spring's youthful breeze gently glided across the baby grasses, the scents of new shoots and their ever sweet aroma danced into the nostrils of a gentleman this day. His bold step bounced to an unknown beat and masses of blonde mane tumbled along with it, green eyes roamed the unknown land and searched for two companions who had struck his faithful cord. The stallion felt good, his earlier rest had healed his aching bones and returned the stallion back to his former glory. He no longer needed the help to walk, in fact he pranced as the land he passed through seemed to attain a certain cold bite to it. It was this that set off a trigger of excitement and Torasin snorted as he arched his golden neck and set off at a collected canter. A blonde tail trailed behind like a proud flag.

Scent had not brought him here, the stallion hadn't deigned to search the air for others. Maybe his heart... Maybe his soul was responsible for the next encounter. Two figures began to appear in the distance and Tor pricked his lobes in recognition, he searched the sky to find Akaith accompanied by what seemed an army of male dragons, mid dance. Torasin neared Vikram and halted slightly behind him, his eyes still watching the show above. Sighing whistfully, he turned his attention to the two others.

The scaly bronze figure of Vikram filled the stallions vision as he took in the situation before him. Tor hadn't had the time to ask Mirage of how she had met the odd dragon horse but now watching Vikram and Mirage a new feeling stirred within him. The painted stallion swallowed, he knew it was jealously that consumed and tainted his body. He'd experienced the emotion before and scolded himself for such foolishness, Mirage had never belonged to him so why should he feel such an absurd emotion. He shook his head at his own thoughts and sighed once more. His calm, happy face watched Mirage instead i'm not really sure how blind you are to my feelings for you Mirage, but if you're happier with this dragon stallion then I will suppress these feelings for you're own happiness his eyes closed as his heart screamed against his thoughts.

Painted in gold and white, Torasin stood in silence and watched them as they danced. Laughing at Akaiths antics in the air.

RISHIMA:

Quote:Far off at the edges of Helovia, the wind had shifted. Something was coming, enticed and intoxicated by the scent of Mirage that drifted through the ripe spring air. Someone with more claim to the black mare than any stallion who could think to court her. Though time had drawn the two souls apart and together, again and again, they would never forget each other. They would never be parted, not in their hearts.

Far off at the edges of Helovia, too far for the intoxicated equines to hear, a sister was calling a shrill whinny to the lightening sky. Her dark form shimmered in the dawn, the first blinding rays of the sun bouncing off the crescent moon that lay across her rump and the white tresses that fell from nape and dock. She could smell the others, the brothers, but strongest and closest was the sweet aroma of her baby sister. She knew the lads would find them soon. A snort left her nostrils, a hoof pawed the ground eagerly. And then she was off, a moonbeam flittering through the sunburned trees, racing her way towards the steppe.

It had been too long a time since I saw my siblings, and although distance had never truly mattered to us, I still found myself one morning, waking to a deep need to make my way back to them. And so I traveled, wandering, letting the moon guide me as she had when we were young and at home; I knew that, inevitably, she would lead me to my family. Although all of us had parted ways ages ago, our wandering natures meant that we would frequently just wander back into each other. We never managed to lose each other for very long; like planets and moons, we seemed to gravitate towards each other, no matter how lost we were in the night sky. I smirked to myself. I had learned a little about astrology, in my wanderings - a strange hobby for an equine, to be sure, but knowledge was everywhere, and I had been fascinated with the night sky. Still, this knowledge gave me insight into what would happen if a planet and a moon were to collide: all hell broke loose. The same, too, tended to happen when the lot of us collected in one area for too long. Despite myself, I missed that chaos.

Mirage's scent meandered throughout the strange land, and I meandered after it, taking in the place. The inhabitants here were not all equine; I had gathered that much by observing the obvious signs. The scent of magic crackled between the trees, and I noted feathers too long and oddly colored to belong to any bird caught among the brushes and undergrowth of the path I followed. The smelled of horse, too - clearly, pegasai lived here. Furthermore, cloven footprints were imprinted into the damp spring earth, too large for a deer, also accompanied by an equine smell. Unicorns. It made sense, really. My younger sister had always been the most magically inclined of we four; we had often found her in places like this. When I was young, my encounters with the more mystical members of our species had been, while confusing, very interesting, and in my efforts to educate myself, I had since come to learn a fair bit about them - although where they originated from, and why only certain lands featured their species, I still had no idea. Ah well, studies for another time.

The scent was changing, and I paused in my tracking, frowning in curiosity. Mirage, my shadow, what are you up to? I lifted my face to the air, inhaling deeply. In the crisp morning air, Mirages scent hung dense and strong. Finally, later than it should have, the pieces fell together, and I gwaffed at my own oblivion. Oh my. How had I missed it before? Mirage was in heat. Stupid, Rishima. Quit slacking. Spurred on by this knowledge, and the fear of some stallion taking advantage of my precious little sister, I picked up my pace, following Mirage's scent at a comfortable canter. Hopefully I wouldn't walk in on anything awkward... an evil smirk crossed my face. Or maybe I will, and it shall be even richer.

I was built for speed, with thoroughbred and Arabian traits in my form. It did not take long for me to reach a point where my sister's scent crossed with that of a strange male. Well. This would not do. I picked up my pace, stopping abruptly when I realized that another aroma was mingling with the other two. Mirage, you minx! I grinned; I was close. This land was colder, still in winter's hold; I liked it. It was only a few more paces before I finally came upon the haunting sight. My sister danced in the sunlight, flickering in and out of this plane like the mirages we would, as foals, chase across the desert. I paused, transfixed, staring at the beautiful, grown creature that was my sister, and swelling with pride. But the awkward movements of a bulky, bizarrely scaled pegasus thing expelled me from my trance, and the task at hand returned to mind. As I stared at my sister's two admirers, I could not help but smirk. The first, the scaly one, was trying hard to move with my sister; but it is indeed hard to catch a mirage, and he was not doing well. The other, a golden paint, just stared in shock. You'll catch flies, colt. Truly, Mirage's prospective dance partners were not impressing me. Time for a real horse to step in.

I did not creep up behind the paint, exactly, but I will confess to making an effort to avoid being seen as I approached him. By the way his eyes were locked on my sister, I doubted surprise would be difficult to achieve. Halting with my maw near his forward tilted ear, I purred, "Sorry, prince charming, but she's out of your league." Sidestepping the stallion, I smoothly made my way to the stallion and my sister. By the look of abandon on her face, she hadn't even noticed the males ogling her. I smirked.

"I beg your pardon, Wings, but I believe this dance is reserved." I did not give the stallion time to reply before entering my sister's sphere of space, moving perfectly into place alongside her, my body brushing hers lightly and happily. As the taller of we two, I hoped that my mass shielded her from the prying eyes of these two loons before reaching down to try and capture her ebony mane in my teeth, intending to tug on it gently, the way I did when we were fillies and I was frustrated with her. "My, little sister, quite the harem you have here. Either of these gawkers worth their weight in clover, or shall I send them away and give you peace?" I turned my dark black gaze on the studs as I said this, flashing them my infamous glower, daring them to try and protest. My family used to tell me I could frighten a volcano into dormancy when I was angry. I was not angry, just now, but I still hoped to convey to these idiot stallions a taste of what would happen, were they to touch my sister.

MIRAGE:

Quote:A small breeze played upon the silken tendrils of the mare, so that even the brief milliseconds which her rhythmic motion might pause, thin strands would still be tugged from her nape and dock. Though it was difficult to detect, there was a beat to her steps, a purpose and a story being written by each hoofprint that lingered upon the loam beneath. A demon – or was it an angel? – has possessed her, she was being ruled by an energy formed from the most powerful substances on earth – hormones. These chemicals have the ability to inspire growth of the mind and body, regulate the seasons one’s body enters and alter the way one perceives the world around them. Mirage was being allayed by the most powerful of hormones, the one that told her bodice was ready to be a vessel for new life, one that screamed at her to find a compatible partner to aid her in creation of said new life. The fact that she and Akaith’s seasons were synchronised at this stage was not unusual for them, though it didn’t occur every time. But the experience was intense for Mirage, overwhelming, she lost herself amongst the haze of pheromones – almost.

The mare was strong-willed enough to know that she had to maintain control of herself, and that was why she danced. Always, she would dance, keeping her motion constant and ever-changing, never allowing another to catch her fleeting, phantasmic form. It would seem this time would be no different. Vaguely the mare registered that her footsteps were being tracked, albeit several strides behind and certainly not at the same beat as her own steps. Golden gaze glanced over her shoulder during a particularly high leap, and she confirmed that the great hulk she sensed behind her was indeed the giant Vikram. A smile coursed over her lips, a warm feeling began within her. It evolved, and progressed to an unbearably hot feeling. Then her dance led her past the awaiting Torasin, and as her illusion flickered in and out of existence she came quite close to him, and the yearning within her grew even more. But she could not stop, and even flicked her hindlegs towards the sky in a striking kick display to ensure they kept their distance.

No, today there would be no submitting to those carnal desires, no matter how hot her blood ran, nor how loud they preached at her senses. Though sweat made her hide gleam in the setting sun, and she would undoubtedly be exhausted if she ever stopped her motion, she persevered now, and would continue to until the time had passed where her fertile season expired. The stallions’ presences made it difficult for her to focus, though, and a few times did her step hesitate, her glance fixated upon the great bay one or the stunning palomino one. She had artfully designed a rough figure of eight around them, often engaging her hindquarters and performing a half-rear to pause and flick her mane onto the other side of her neck, or swish her tail against her flanks as if whipping her motion onwards.

At first, the other mare’s presence was received with surprise, and mild annoyance. But that was the reaction a queen dragon would have should another queen be trying to steal her male dragons during a mating flight, and Mirage was also being fuelled by draconic wants and needs – she almost wanted to strike this intruder down where she stood. But then a warm voice penetrated her ear drums, and her nostrils remembered the scents that were tickling them. Elation grew and while her energy did not dim, she danced now for a different reason. The familiar rhythm of a dance crafted by shadows, darkness and moonbeams were entered; though Mirage was not so blind to see through her sister’s attempts to shield her from view. A smirk curled her lips and she broke the step, ducking away from her sister for a mere moment. There she entered a carefully calculated rear, and her forelegs danced out towards the moonbeam that paraded around her. As she landed, she allowed her sister close by again, accepting her nearness with a comfortable softness of frame. It was the longest she had stood still all day, and her movements finally caught up with her.

Sides were sucking air in and expelling it just as quickly, nostrils showed a hint of salmon pink within them. Her tail was lifted, the Arabic influence of her genes clearly evident even in the posture of her finely chiselled tiara. She rubbed her nose against Rishima’s nape fondly, returning the gesture and clasping teeth around small chunks of mane to give a tug. Her words stirred amusement within her, amusement that glittered behind her gilded eyes and the smile that showed itself upon her façade. She wore no mask of indifference tonight, for with her season and the presence of a family member, feelings were too intense to keep locked in. Looking to the stallions, her stare bored no warning nor threatening postures; she wanted them here, for the same reason she wanted them to be around at any given time – she enjoyed their company. “Little Moonbeam,” she spoke affectionately, pulling out the childhood nickname for her sister. “I find I am most at peace when their presence is nearby.” She answered her query honestly and warmly, allowing her affection for the stallions to be evident not only to Rishima, but to Torasin and Vikram too.

A colourful, musical sound echoed from the mare’s maw then, as she watched her sister grow defensive and shoot the stallions a harsh stare. How long had it been since she had laughed so freely and openly? It was a harmonic, rare sound to be heard, like the song of a long extinct bird. It felt good for her to laugh again. “Dearest Sister, they are worthy not of your cruel glares, but rather, your trust.” She reached out to touch her sister’s forehead, blowing a gentle kiss upon her brow, before smirking and tugging upon her forelock. Truly they knew not who was older, Mirage only vaguely remembered being told by her mother that the evening she was born, Rishima came to them needing milk, and so they became sisters. As young fillies, there was rarely a moment when they were not by each other’s side. A giddy, happy sensation filled her, she felt like she was reliving those days that were so long ago. Tossing her cranium about, she pranced towards the stallions, wanting to introduce her friends to her beloved sister – she was a bit oblivious to the alluring beauty that radiated from her at the moment, enhanced of course by the musty scents that permeated form her every pore.

As she trotted towards the stallions, she allowed her thoughts to consider each stallion. Of course, she realised why they were here, and she simply assumed that they would be able to control their manners around her during this time – she had not ventured to the Grove, after all, and so surely it was obvious then that her dance was one of passion and vitality of life, not one intended to promote new life to be conceived – despite her hormones screaming the opposite. The fog of pheromones still clouded her thoughts, there were miniscule moments where she did, in fact, want to go to the Grove and take part in the union of two bodies, but she had the mental capacity – and many years of practice – to ignore such wants and still be the same, devious and mysterious mare that she always was. “This is Torasin,” she gestured towards him, a smile upon her lips as she met his eyes, silently she wondered if he would insist that her sister also call him only ‘Tor’, like he did for everyone he met. “And Vikram.” Now she tilted her tiara towards the enigmatic bronze steed.

Looking upon the stallions with her ‘hormone goggles’ on, it was difficult indeed for her to not simply stand still, spread her legs and let whoever proved themselves stallion enough take her. Vikram was tall and daunting, and if Mirage was being influenced any stronger by Akaith she would have seen him for the powerful bronze that dragon that resided within him – he was a prime steed, the perfect choice for a mate indeed. Each rippling muscle across his body seemed to attract her, even his scent pulled her towards him. But she stood rooted to the spot now, between the steeds, her sister either still behind her or by her side now – she did not know. Vikram was so alluring, so unknown and yet she liked that about him, almost as much as she liked learning more about him. Golden eyes then landed upon Torasin, sweet, perfect Torasin. Great affection surged within her for the stallion, she remembered the feelings that roved through her when she found him with Brooke – she was tormented. But then, when she found and rescued his bruised and battered form from the clutches of Ra, the great need to keep him alive was unquestionable. But he had a mate, he had Brooke – though the mare’s absence was noticed by Mirage, she couldn’t help but feel like Torasin would still be pining after her, would he be able to move on from the love he felt for the other?

It was no choice for Mirage to make, not today, not when her thoughts were interrupted by such things as lust and the unexpected arrival of her sister. Finally, she returned her eyes to the safety of her sister’s gaze, taking comfort in her presence, wondering if maybe her sister had arrived here in time to counsel her in this rare time of need. Was it even possible to love more than one at a time?

Surely it must be so, for that was exactly what was happening.

[ ooc : Omg. It just kept going. >_> ]

VIKRAM:

Quote:She danced, leading him ever onward. There were times when he thought he could almost grasp the rhythm that moved her, and then it would slip beyond his grasp. This back and forth flow within him lasted until her movements brought him to stand facing Torasin... golden eyes fell on the painted stud and the hybrid froze, yanked out of the trance of Mirage's movements by the sight of the one he knew had greater claim than he had himself. Muscles trembled with the effort of calming himself, and Vikram flipped his wings tightly closed against his sides and tucked his muzzle down toward his chest, resisting the urge to reach out for the elusively dancing mare that wove a pattern around and between the two stallions.

Then another appeared, sliding past them both with mocking words to slip into place beside Mirage like she... yes, she, it was another mare... had always belonged there. Ears tipped back to half mast in irritation, indignant of the way this stranger dismissed him without even knowing who he or Torasin were. The nerve! A rumble threatened to rise in his chest, the early vibrations of a growling roar that he almost never gave voice to, and he refused to do so now. Teeth were gritted as he forced it away, though his eyes never left the two mares, so similar and yet not. It didn't help that his stranger shot daggers from her eyes to warn them off. As if he'd let someone he didn't know at all make him leave the first soul who'd accepted him as who he was.

But Mirage seemed to remain light-hearted about the situation, teasing this new mare with words and gestures before leading her closer to himself and Torasin. His ears quirked forward then, head rising slightly though he kept his muzzle tilted downward through a supreme effort of will. Mirage had not invited him in closer, and he would not do anything she did not wish, regardless of his own desires. A slight nod was all he gave in return when his name was spoken in introduction, the only outward sign of his restless energy expressed in the slow waving of his long and tasseled tail barely clearing the ground.

Closing his eyes, Vikram drew in a deep breath. Held it, then let go of his tensions with that breath. "I did not mean to intrude in any way, Mirage. I was... affected by Akaith's rising and knew no one else I could speak to about it. I suppose I couldn't help myself when I found you." A rueful smile quirked at his lips even as his deep voice rumbled out with its acquired quiet tones. Not quite an apology so much as an explanation, not just for her but for Torasin as well. He owed nothing to this new mare who behaved so protectively and irritatingly.

TORASIN:

Quote:Innocently (if one could be innocent in such a situation) Torasin watched the dance of Mirage and Akaith, feeling a little bit like a spare part. His body longed to join in with the dance yet his heart was torn in more ways than one that Torasin could do nothing but fight with himself on the spot. The noise that came next jolted Tor forward as a voice sneaked its way into his lobes, prince charming?! I didn't even say anything Torasin watched the new mare incredulous as she bounded on after Mirage. His green eyes now a mass of emotions, am I really that frivolous in an odd moment of consideration, Torasin thought about himself for a moment. In all of his life, the painted stallion had never once stopped and thought about the way he conducted himself let alone how others perceived him. The world of complete oblivion he had constructed for himself after the death of his former lover hadn't allowed for such thoughts. Realizing he was frowning at the grass, Tor looked up to see the new mare and Mirage in their compelling dance and Vikram was stood in front of him.

The dragon horse seemed to hesitate before him and Torasin cocked his head to one side, wondering what the odd stallion could be thinking. Yes, Tor had been jealous of him earlier and the paint began to wonder if he sensed it. Being of huge height and half dragon, Torasin felt a bit plain next to him and a little left out on the inner world the three shared. Torasin squeezed his eyes shut in annoyance again, Akaith had saved him and she had been kind and shared her thoughts with him. I have no right to feel like this, he opened his eyes and gazed forwards. Feeling a little guilty, Torasin finally began to walk forward and brushed gently against the huge sides of Vikram in a moment of friendship. Tor hoped to put the other at rest, he didn't want to be the cause of unease.

Turning to the 'menace' that had entered the equation, Torasin contemplated the sister of Mirage. She had a quick tongue and clearly knew exactly how to use it, her pelt was as black as her sisters but for the crescent marking which covered her back end and the silvery mane and tail. She was of similar build to himself if not a little more slender and stood that bit higher, the mare was probably considerably more intelligent than he when it came to vocabulary. Vikram seemed to explain his actions and Tor softened his eyes "how could one miss such a dance, I'm surprised we don't have more of an audience" he jested at them.

Turning to Rishima then, Torasin turned a perplexed expression on her "are you related ma'am? There is a closeness in you two that runs deep, even someone as 'charming' as me can sense it". Games. He was never very good at them and often failed, but he was foolish enough to try every time. The young fillies of his old herd used to make fun of him as a colt, although he always seemed to get on with them more than the males. He never had a heart for mindless play fighting and pretend war, he carried this with him as he grew old and now was paying the price for it in front of Rishima.

The paint turned to Mirage last and looked genuinely at her. She was a beautiful mare and was still shrouded in mystery, the more she stood silent the more compelling she became. There were things he hadn't told her, like his relationship with Brooke, it was something he hasn't mentioned because he hadn't thought it worth mentioning. Now, he wasn't so sure. The female mind was like a maze of traps that Torasin couldn't help but walk into every single one of them.

RISHIMA:

Quote:Her ears flicked back, and I could not help but laugh. Mirage seemed, at first, angered by my presence; not uncommon for a mare in season, I suppose, but it amused me. Still, her elation once she realized who I was was infectious. I whinnied brightly at her, my voice piercing the air, rising to meet her soft rear with my own, shoving my shoulder against hers in an act of play fighting. As her shadowy form moved with my moonlit one in the rising day, I nearly forgot the strangers there, the stallions I had probably infuriated with my blase attitude and blatant disregard of any importance they may have. In my mind, they did not matter. This was a moment for myself and Mirage, a sister's reunion... but apparently she thought otherwise, for she turned to the stallions with fondness on her face, something I looked upon with wariness.

Mirage announced that the strangers deserved my trust, earning her a subtle, almost unnoticeable snort of disbelief. I did not trust without due cause; my little shadow should have known this, I thought. Still, since Mirage cared for them, I could offer them some manner of regard, and so I let my face settle into a mask of polite interest before turning to face them. There were still two, fortunately; with the smell Mirage was letting out, I should not have been surprised if a whole crowd gathered to find its delicious source. Still, two was bad enough. The enormous winged stallion seemed quite the broody type, and while poor innocuous Mirage may not realize it, quite taken with my sister. I could not help but wonder what might have happened had I not arrived, if he would have been taken and overwhelmed by his.... virility. He appeared to be some strange hybrid, leathery and spined, unlike any creature I had seen before, and to be sure I could not help but itch to inquire about his heritage, the blood that must flow through his veins to cause such a distinctive figure. I had to bite my lip to keep from exploding with questions, and so turned my attention to the golden stallion. Next to the large brute, he was tiny, and seemed quite the innocent creature, truly a prince charming. I doubted he would have had a chance to mate with my sister, should the other one want it, but Mirage clearly liked him. The cute little thing must have something going for him.

I followed my sister as she approached the males, standing proudly beside her and surveying them through inky eyes. Torasin, she introduced the gold one as; Vikram, the hybrid. Vikram was the first to respond. There was control in every line of his body, in every word he spoke, and it made me want to laugh how obviously upset I had made the poor sod. He did not even look my way, did not speak to me. When I was a younger mare, this behavior would have angered me. I probably would have snapped at the stallion, or else decided he was an ass and unworthy of my attention. The thing is, that's exactly what Wings here was doing. I stared at the stallion for a moment, daring him to make eye contact, a smirk light on my face. Poor cock blocked boy. "Vikram. I think I will like this one." It was my only response, with no pretext or explanation, and it was aimed at Mirage, although I kept my eyes on the stallion. He didn't need an explanation yet.

Now Torasin spoke, and I let my eyes leave Vikram to rest on the spotted stallion. This one was more polite, perhaps too much so. I wondered if Mirage was coherent enough to realize just how uncomfortable I had made her little boyfriends. I let myself smile at the young stallion, something he owed solely to the affection my sister clearly held for him. I decided to respond to his words, despite the fact that they were clearly meant for his companion and Mirage. My sister, I hoped, would appreciate the bloody effort. "Indeed, I am glad we do not; do you know hoe many stallions I have had to chase away from this one over the years?" There were touches of friendly exasperation in my tone, but also a warning, that I would happily chase these two away should Mirage desire it. Torasin decided to speak to me directly now. I found it both entertaining and frustrating, how much I had unnerved the stallions. Grow a pair already. "And what is wrong with being charming, Torasin?" My voice is rich and deep, my curiosity genuine. Sure, I had called the stallion Prince Charming, but I still found it curious that he latched onto this word, giving it so much meaning and apparently taking it as quite disparaging in nature. "I have two brothers, both of whom I would call charming, although their charm is no doubt of a vein... wilder, than your own." Wilder, deadlier, far more experienced.... "But yes, you are correct in your belief. We were born under the same night sky, many years ago. And, as my sister appears to have forgotten all courtesy" - I shot a quick nip at the shadowy mare beside me, who seemed to have fallen into some hormone-induced daydream of her own, hoping to shake her out of her fog - "I am Rishima."

I raised my head, looking the stallions over, white mane dancing about my neck. Clearly, Mirage had been as closed-lipped as ever, despite the affection she clearly bore these two. They seemed to know nothing of me, and, in all likeliness, knew nothing of our brothers, either. Part of me wished to leave them to the wolves. If they thought me overbearing, they would not know what to make of the twins' incessant need to defend us girls against all males, come hell or high water. Another part had no desire to do so. Watching these two attempt to fend of Mad and Mask would be immensely entertaining. I decided to hold my tongue for now and await their response, snowy tail swishing lazily at my hocks, shoulder pressed affectionately and protectively against my sister's.

The sister of the shadow mare caused much amusement to bubble up within Mirage’s core, though she was addled with pheromones, she could see the over-protective streak that seemed to be present in all her siblings shine through. Had Mirage been any more coherent, she might have taken offence at the insinuation that she could not look after herself – she had managed to through all her years alone, had she not? But years of loneliness drove one to appreciate the time spent in the company of one’s you enjoy, so any thoughts of offence were forgotten before they even arrived. The cheek that her sister spouted so easily from her venomous tongue always surprised Mirage, who was far more subtle in her ways of insulting and playing games. Both methods were effective in obtaining responses of course, and when both methods were used simultaneously – chaos, I’m sure you could imagine, resulted.

The sharp bite upon her shoulder snapped the dark mare back to attention. Flicking an ear back she curled a lip, as if threatening to return the love bite, but instead her façade fell blank shortly after that. Waves of pheromones still poured from her, but the moment was passing, distantly she could feel Akaith settling on a cliffside somewhere with her mate, probably curling up to rest in each other’s loving embrace even if only for a night. Slowly, normalcy ebbed within the mare, the world stopped spinning out of control around her, and everything became clearer. She realised then, just how much at risk she had placed herself, and just how close she was to falling for the instincts her hormones governed. Shivering on the spot, she did her best to build her defences up again, and restore the mysterious cloud of silent indifference about her. Feelings still ran wild within her, and the realisation of her love for the stallions before her gave her much to think about – but she would do that later.

“A different kind of charm indeed.” She spoke now, referring to the speech her sister had given regarding their brothers. The volatile stallions had definitely entered the lands, she could feel their presence just as she felt Rishima’s, and how she longed to see them. Mirage had spoken of family ties to Torasin, but indeed no details were ever given. She gave only what she felt necessary at the time. “Madyrn and Maskan, can you feel them sister?” Again her accented vocals danced upon the air, and she looked warmly to her sister, knowing her sibling would indeed have felt the stirring of the cosmos that meant the siblings of Voraer and Anei were within the vicinity. Another shiver rattled her body.

“Friends, you need not explain why you came – I am glad you did.” Musical tones carried themselves to the stallions now, her amber eyes looking to them affectionately. Indeed, they were unsettled, both by her condition and the presence of her sister, how oblivious had she been before?! “It is I who owe you the apology for not making myself more scarce – the dance of Akaith’s rising is one I can rarely ignore the call of.” Knowing her sister would think her foolish for making such a statement, Mirage pre-emptively slashed her whipchords of coal across her hocks, willing her sister to be silent for just a moment more. Never will that dance have a partner if my siblings refuse to believe my aptitude for befriending only the worthy. Mirage was a very capable mare, but even the most capable being cannot reproduce on one’s own. It was not a pressing desire within her, one that became more apparent when the seasons aligned of course, but it was there, however small. Their parents had found their balance within each other, and had in turn created her and her siblings out of a loving union – was it not their right to do the same?

“My siblings are only as harmless as I am.” She informed the stallions, a devious glint in her eye, a smirk upon her lips. Mirage was hardly harmless, she hoped the stallions understood. Harm could be caused in more ways than simple brute strength – she knew they would hear the underlying meaning of her words. Neither she nor her siblings were to be taken on face value alone. “And sister,” she turned her glittering amber eyes to the moonlit femme beside her, “I know you will come to like them both.” Tugging upon the pale mane of Rishima gently with her delicate velvet lips, she wished for the tensions created to ebb away, and for the evening to become one of relaxed conversations and bonding as opposed to the potential chaos that could have stirred.

Vikram Posts: 73
World's Edge Skilled Protector
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 19 hh :: 9 years Buff: NOVICE
Kachie
Prying eyes picked at him, earning first a tilted ear and then a questioning glance. He then gazed cooly at this little mare who thought so much of herself and so little of he and Torasin. Her vague acknowledgement of his name, the odd comment that followed, pricked at his pride. He snorted sharply. "You do not know me, yet you judge me by others you have known. That is unfair and unkind of you, Lady, for I have not chosen to judge you by the way others have treated me. Merely I judge you for how you behave toward myself, your sister, and our friend. That should be plenty of a basis for you to judge either of us, your sister's friends, by." His low rumbling voice was calm, if reproachful. No cutting corners or dancing around the subject for him.

His gaze left her then, deliberately, though he listened to the words she offered Torasin in response to the inquiries he made. She spoke of brothers, which gave the great hybrid pause. This family was wider than he had expected. Then she gave her name, Rishima. It seemed to suit her.

But his attention was for Mirage now, ears twitching as he sensed the madness that had gripped her, had brushed against himself and their painted companion, was fading. It was reassuring, this returning to normalcy, and he too allowed himself to relax slowly. Rishima would never understand the dance he partook in every time he was around Mirage, the quieter interchange that marked every moment as he followed her lead, never taking liberties.

She spoke to her sister, giving names to the two brothers that the white-marked mare had mentioned, and Vikram wondered about this Madyrn, this Maskan. What were they like? Which sister did they take after more, or were they unique to themselves?

Her gaze settled on them then, himself and Torasin, and his ears tilted forward to catch each word. A wry smile quirked across his features then, and he inclined his head to his ebon lady. Acknowledgement, acceptance. He wondered if she knew that he'd never do anything she did not ask him to do. That he cared for her enough to put her wants and needs before his own. That he too would have acted as guardian for her if she merely asked. Perhaps Akaith knew. The gold was astute, and surely would understand that more draconian inclination to protect and defend the one he followed, though she may never be truly his.

What she said next earned a low chuckle and grin. He knew Mirage was not harmless. Knew that no kin of hers would be that much less than she was. Vikram's humor was restored by this interchange, and he glanced back to Rishima. "I'm not sure if I should be more concerned about you, or Akaith." A small joke, touching of his first experience with the queen who'd initiated this whole scenario. Perhaps Mirage would remember.

Torasin Posts: 132
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 8
imi
[Image: tortable.png]
Torasin watched the events unfold before him. Rishima seemed to have a lot less tact than Mirage but he could see the similarities now. The flightly sister spoke and Tor swivelled his lobes "there is not much wrong with being charming. You are just the first to mention it to me". Mare's like this unnerved the frivolous stallion, he was not great at confrontations. He hoped he'd get better with age, but so far apparantly not.

The paint looked towards the goliath form of Vikram who seemed rather displeased with the actions of Rishima. He wondered how the daring mare would react to the direct words of the dragon horse. Torasin gave the sisters a surprised look when there was a mention of brothers I wonder who they will be like, Rishima or Mirage he mused to himself. Or something completely different in which Tor wasn't so sure his nerves were up to.

Turning to listen to Mirage now he had to stop himself from laughing out loud when she mentioned the word 'harmless'. He looked at the two mares and 'harmless' wasn't the word that sprang to his mind, he loved Mirage dearly and Rishima at least warrented respect and friendship. However, in the paints eyes they were both far from harmless. Wrestling himself back under control Torasin gazed at the two "I think I should fear you both. But it is a pleasure to meet you Rishima". He could see the mare was being polite for her sister, even though he didn't particulary like her tones. Not that the frilly stallion was ever going to do anything about, the world would plummet into a black hole should a day come when Torasin challenged a mare on such terms.

Vikram's last words seemed to ring with a private joke he was not part of, tinged with jealousy Torasin looked to the sky to see if he could spot Akaith. Harmless? Or am I a fool there were many things on his mind and many things he needed to talk to Mirage about. He pushed them away and turned to Vikram, in appearance and ability he would provide for her best and Torasin had to admit he wasn't the best suitor. Still, it tore into his heart the same.

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
It would seem that, somehow, I managed to wound the pride of these stallions immensely, crushing their self esteem and stirring hostility within them. Their frustration both confused and irritated me; it seemed petty, and foolish. The dragon-stallion in particular was quite miffed, and while it still amused me to a degree, his talk of judgement had me quite taken aback. With no small amount of effort, I managed to keep my composure in the face of his words - not for his sake, mind, but because Mirage seemed fond of the beast. Still, an ear flicked back against my skull, a betrayal of my growing ire, and my dark eyes narrowed as I listened to his words. Clearly, he knew nothing of family, nothing of the love I held for my siblings, love that would send me flying at his face in an instant if I detected he held danger for my sister, despite inevitable defeat at his hooves.

"Your defensive anger betrays your ignorance, Vikram." My voice was low, almost a whisper, and no longer friendly. "You believe that my attitude towards you and Torasin is based on a false judgement of your character, but you are mistaken." My eyes slid to the painted stallion, wondering if perhaps he understood. Probably not. I returned my gaze to Vikram, shifting weight slightly. "On the contrary, Vikram, I have made no judgement of you or your friend; I will reserve that until later." Would this set him off again, I wondered? If it did, then I would be sorely disappointed in my sister's choice of friends.

I turned to look at Mirage, hoping she at least could understand my frustration. I could feel anger bubbling inside my chest, and I forced it down, but I knew that the fire could not be subdued forever. The antics of youngsters should not bother me this much, I knew, but the annoyance persisted. It was, to an extent, frustration at myself. I had lived alone for so long that my social skills... left something to be desired. But these stallions were being idiots, acting like colts denied too much milk...

Mirage's words brought me out of my thoughts, and I turned to her with a slight smile on my face. "Yes, I feel them. It is too long since we were all together." She would understand what was unsaid - that I longed to be reunited with them, the four of us together again. The stallions seemed thoughtful at the idea of our brothers, and I wanted to smirk. And you thought I was scary... It was almost enough to dampen the last of my anger. Mirage went on to talk to her adoring masses, her words about Aikath's call iliiting a snort from me. The stinging of a tail whipping my hocks prevented any snarky remarks, although I did let my own ivory locks lash out in rebuttal.

Now here is a chance to have some fun. Mirage, in a mischievous act that made me proud, commented on how 'harmless' the four of us were - and a fierce, feral grin spread across my face in response, my eyes flashing. "Yes," I purred, "We are quite... harmless." Then I laughed and lost the moment, for sweet little Prince Charming's remark was too earnest for me to ignore. The fall of the mask only lasted a second before I regained my composure, laugh lines smoothing and ears pricking in casual interest. "Likewise, Torasin," I replied genuinely, merriment still bright in my eyes. The stallion was still guarded, though, and it frustrated me too much. Damn it all. I would have to try and mend this.

A deep sigh escaped my lungs, forceful and calming. I needed to relax. I cast another look at Mirage, face still veiled, before turning back to the stallions. "You will have to forgive me," I began, voice deep and controlled. For all appearances and purposes, I had calmed down completely, and my frustration was gone. "It can be hard for me to... interact, with strangers. I have traveled alone for a long time." It was as much of an apology as they were going to get, so they'd damn well accept it. "I hope that you can understand why I was so abrasive. I found you following my unsuspecting little sister - and I did not care who you were, what your personality or history; all I cared was that you were interested in my sister. If you cared for anyone as I do her - and please, do not take this statement wrong. I am sure you have loved deeply, or will; it is abundantly clear that you both fawn over Mirage. But I watched her birth; I taught her about the world; and I have loved her since before either of you were given life. You two can clearly appreciate how... special, my sister is," I bit gently at her mane again, affectionate, warmth in my eyes. Then I turned back to the stallions, face hard and serious. "Mirage likes you, and I trust her judgement. But if you hurt her, I will not be the only one out for blood."

Hopefully my sister would not kill me for the speech. But they needed to understand, if I was to get anywhere with them. As far as I'm concerned, if equines could just see logic then most of the conflicts of the world would be resolved. But I have lived a long time. I was once headstrong and proud... I suppose, to an extent, I still am.

Had the obsidian one been an outsider in this situation she would have found the whole thing amusing, and she even would have been doing similar to her sister, and arrived only to stir the tension further, see how far she could push the participants. As it was, those involved were three individuals whom she cared about deeply, her dearest and nearest sister, and comrades who were closer to her heart than she ever normally allowed any outside her relatives to come. Not only that, but she was directly involved in the cause of the tension, in fact if her dragon hadn’t settled down she thought that said tension would have continued rising to a dangerous point.

Well, more dangerously high than it already was, anyway.

Words were thrown back and forth between her friends and her sister, and the little shadow tried not to get too swept away with the argument, in fact inwardly she did find it amusing, for she knew, or at least hoped she knew, that no physical harm would befall any of her closest this evening. No, it was a war of lyrics tonight, the wounds upon one’s pride and stature the only things that might need healing afterwards. But her own attempts at settling the tensions had evidently worked, at least in part, she could see those around her breathe easier as they considered her joke about being harmless.

It was a joke just as much as it was a dire warning.

Vikram’s words brought a devious smile to curl her lips, he mentioned their first encounter together, where his tongue ran away from him, and Akaith took offence at the suggestion of her being diminutive in size. The scent of singed forelock was one Mirage would not soon forget, the stallion himself even less likely to ever wander from far from her thoughts. Torasin responded to her sister, still hung up on being called charming, and yet it was such a fitting descriptor for him Mirage wondered why he clung to it so dearly.

Learning truths about oneself, even positive truths, wasn’t easy.

It was then RIshima orchestrated her delightfully accented tones to speak of the relationship that bound the sisters to one another, the little shadow could see with ease the shield the other wore, a shield that Mirage herself often held up, though it had slipped this day in the heat of the moment. A brow was raised in wonder at the phenomenon of her sister actually attempting to apologise for her behaviour – certainly something that had never occurred before now – and her delectable lyrics wove the tale of Mirage’s upbringing and the protective cloak that surrounded them always, the cloak that was their family.

The charred mare appreciated her sister then, possibly more than she ever had in her life previously.

For Rishima had attempted to do something selfless, she had endeavoured to create a bridge of understanding between herself and these strangers, in actual fact, they were complete strangers to her. Only by Mirage’s judgement did she feel it necessary to even try forging a path of understanding. The obsidian one leaned into her sister, muzzle running up her nape, an action meant to show her appreciation to her sister, but also confirm to the stallions that everything she had said was true.

“Come!” Exclamation was made, the mare held a mischievous grin to her mouth.

After leaning into her moonlit sister, the femme lipped and tugged at her mane, before lifting her tail and flagging remnants of the intoxicating scent, and trotting a full circle about the stallions, her laughter singing in the air like a gentle songbird decorating a morning’s salutation to the sun’s rising. Only it was the moon rising now, for it was evening, and there was much dancing to be done. Prancing this way and that, she longed to run with her friends, the two stallions and her sister, inviting them to forgive whatever tensions had stirred earlier, to settle their differences another time, and simply enjoy the company of each other.

There was only one way to live life, and that was with good company.

Good company she had, now it was time to live.

[ Kinda aiming to wrap things up – unless something critical happens in response, this is Mirage’s last reply for this thread :-) ]