the Rift

[o] Come Away to the Water

Ravahna Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
[Image: i3ju7ey]
  • The stars no longer burned against the blackened night sky. Millions of them now joined eachother in a warm embrace, spreading light across the lands. Beneath the shadows of the canopy an ebony figure moved alone. Swiftly the equine made it's way to the base of the mountain, just at the edge of the shadows. She peered through the brush, the sun hitting her muzzle slightly. It was warm. It was welcoming. Cautiously she pushed forward, first her cranium took form, then the long canvas of a mares body. She was now fully exposed and it was all too obvious that she wasn't enjoying this amount of exposure. Her body quickly became tense. An unknown land, unknown inhabitants, with unknown intentions. It wasn't something that this youthful mare looked forward too. Yet she stayed. Auds pinned to her cranium she focused on the edge of the forest, carefully planning an escape route in the event of a tragedy. She winced as a harsh wind whispered through the trees, when it finally hit her the warmth was drained from her body.

Emerald orbs scanned the horizon. It was quite peaceful. But of all the living, this mare knew that peaceful meant nothing. Anything was possible and she awaited the worst outcome. She shifted her weight several times, trying to adjust to the biting cold that attacked her from above and below. She wondered how long it might take for her 'suitors' to arrive, she rolled her eyes.
    "Psh. A suitor."
    It was clear she wasn't going to be an easy target, yet at the same time something weak sat on her shoulders, a weight of something almost. It was an odd aura that could be picked up by just looking at her. Strong...yet somewhat broken. It was more confusing than anything. The mare became lost in a bitter daydream before suddenly she was thrown back into reality. Her ears stood erect, something was approaching, but from what direction? She searched for a moment, almost frantic but collected herself within a few moments. She could only hope she was in no impending danger.

Accalia Posts: N/A
Unregistered
The white fae walked the forest as the first touches of dawn began to touch the sky, painting it like a canvas full of different colors. Pink, orange, and blue hues colored the sky, as the giant sun started rising from behind the looming mountains before the Threshold. The cold was almost unbearable to the white mare, attacking her everywhere and shivering her to the very bone. But Accalia did not mind this, for an Assassin had to be strong, even though she wanted to travel south to warmer weather. Although she was almost accustomed to the freezing climate, for while she was a real outcast traveling to Helovia, she suffered worse winters with feet of snow.

The curvaceous youthful mare walked the forest in beauty, seeming like a snow nymph, blending in with her snowy pelt. Her golden brown mane stood out, blending in with the bark of the trees. Today, instead of the usual upbeat gait, the fae walked slowly, walking almost slouched, bored. All of a sudden, her ears pricked up when a hiss was heard from within the forest. This wasn't like any bestial hiss she had heard. The sound was familiar, like that of an equine instead of a prowling lynx.

Accalia trotted closer to the the sound, revealing an ebony mare thinking, seeming like she was in a dream. With a polite smile, the girl walked up calmly instead of her normal happier stance. "Hello there, I am Accalia of the Asassins", she paused momentarily, and then continued again. "Are you seeking a home?" The white mare asked flicking her tail and awaiting a reply.

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier

Newly invigorated by the recent meeting of my herd mates, I had set off the following day to the place where every member of Helovia had wandered at least once; the Threshold. It had been some time since my last visit here, and I couldn't help but mentally beat myself up for it. I supposed I had been more busied with coming up with tasks for my Protectors to do in order to better themselves, as well as myself. Today was different, however, and as I set away from my misty home, I could tell that Suli was simply excited to be going somewhere new.

As I walked, the little dragoness would occasionally leap from her perch on my poll and explore the low hanging branches. Since her hatching, the little green had developed her ability to fly greatly, but no matter the fact she had yet to wander terribly far from me. Although we had yet to truly get to know one another, she was my daily comfort, my constant reminder that I wasn't alone in the wake of Tor's second disappearance. As of late, I had been a wreck to think that she might have truly left for good this time, but Suli was always there to try her best at reassuring me. I was forever in her debt.

Up ahead, a voice sounds and catches in my ears, causing me to pause in my step for a moment. Suli had heard it as well, for she stopped midstep in the branches and lifted her head, straining to see just who was up ahead. But when she couldn't pick their form out, she looked briefly to me before going on, leaping into the air and gliding to the next available branch. With a low chuckle, I followed her lead and went deeper into the forest, and it was not long until my bist gaze fell on the forms of not one, but two equines.

Each were a stark contrast to one another; the darker mare, black as the very night that fell across the land, had something about her that I couldn't quite place. She seemed almost... melancholy, but what for? It was a gorgeous morning, and I frowned at the thought of this stranger's despondence. On the other hand, the other mare was almost a snow white, slender yet baring the traditional feathering of a draft on her feet like myself. She announced herself as Accalia, and she was from... Oh, no.

I recalled the failed attempt from the Assassin's when they had tried to breach my home and place spying eyes within it. Luckily, I had come in the nick of time and the young Assassin and her so-called 'mother', had quickly been ordered away. If they were still a true group, obviously having grown in numbers, I would make certain to report so to lady Mirage.

With a deep exhale, I kept myself from snapping at the pale mare and instead spoke up to give my own greeting. The mare's first experience of Helovia did not need to be a bickerment that didn't involve her. "Madam," I said, dipping my head respectfully to the ebony mare and hoping she wouldn't feel overwhelmed by not one, but three standing before her. "I am Destrier, Wingleader of the World's Edge; and my little friend is Suli. If it is a home you desire, I would be happy to show you there, or perhaps one of the other herds. The Edge will provide shelter for you in the coming cold months."

Perched on a branch hanging lowly and near my head, Suli's purple gaze kept upon the ebonite mare, and her head tipped curiously to the side as we exchanged our words. At the end of the day, would there be another calling the World's Edge home?

Credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Unregistered
  • A change in the direction of the frosty breeze brought the mare two separate scents. The first was a mare, the second an older stallion. Turning her head carefully, she peered through the forest, trying to match the scent with a figure. It was only seconds before an ivory fae appeared. She looked the mare up and down, searching for a flaw, something that could title her as an offender to her safety. So far nothing.

When the silence was finally broken she stood stock-still. It wasn't something she was used to, seeing another equine that is. She hadn't seen one in years and now she was throwing herself into what seemed to be a sea of monsters. She nodded at first and then she spoke, a harsh yet very soft voice spilled from her throat.
    "Assassins you say? You don't look like much of a killer to me."
    She showed no emotions. For her this was a strategy she had mastered, one that kept her out of much trouble and out of harms way. For a moment it was quiet, then the mare spoke again. In response to the fae called Accalia she spoke.
    "I am called Ravahna. To answer your question, yes. I am seeking shelter. From this horrid weather and anything else that may threaten my well being."
    Before the mare responded Ravahna could her the distinct sound of anothers hooves. Through a blanket of snow came a large dark figure, one that mirrored her coat but not her stature. Not in the least. At first she was frightened, put off by his appearance. He seemed harsh in the way that he moved but then he spoke.

His was a thundering voice, common for an older males. Ravahna forced a smile. She felt overwhelmed by the presence of not one but two other equines. It was bittersweet, meeting her species for the first time since her father and their band. She cringed at the memories that her father had scarred her with. Ravahna forced the memories to leave her already flooded mind. It wouldn't help her to remember those things now. At the moment she would shield her emotions. She observed a small creature among the trees that seemed to be following the larger male. It was green in color and seemed to have wings, like that of a bird, but it was covered in scales like a retiple. Ravahna hadn't the slightest idea what this creature was and at the time wasn't too overly worried about it's presence. She lifted her gaze to the dark stallions frame. He was built well, feathering on his hocks, accompanied by a long flowing mane and tail. Characteristics that resembled many from her fathers band. It was almost hard to look at him for a long period of time, so she let her eyes drift to the blanket of snow behind his frame, although it still seemed as though she was making eye contact.

Emerald orbs took in the scenery as she spoke in response to her second visitor. This time her voice was low and somewhat solemn, though it wasn't all too dark.
    "A pleasure to meet you. You may call me Ravahna. What have you to offer me if I accompany you? And Accalia, what have you to offer?"
    She was cautious in her decision for a home. Most would jump at the chance for just a simple shelter but Ravahna was much more careful. She wouldn't risk her life in a second attempt to find a home. Looking from each of the equines she could sense the slightest bit of tension but it wasn't enough to worry her further. She would question the equine she left with later. Not now. Now wasn't the time to inquire about rivalries. Ravahna stood still awaiting each of their responses.

Accalia Posts: N/A
Unregistered
"Don't let looks fool you", the girl said with a bunch of giggles. "Don't worry, you don't have to kill to be a part of us, like me", another laugh accompanied her words. The mare's words were harsh, but she wouldn't let that phase her. Speaking again, "It's nice to meet you Ravannah. I believe the Assassins have a home for you. We are traveling nomads, but we are a strengthened family", velvety lips parted to spill the words. Not soon after meeting up with the ebony mare, another black figure appeared. A strong male Frisian claiming he came from the World's Edge. Accalia had nothing against the herd, in fact she didn't know why they despised the Assassins so much, despite the invasion she wasn't there to witness. But still, the tensions were running high between them, and the girl thought it best to be wary of the stallion even though he had a kindred spirit.

Looking at the stallion advertising his herd, Accalia put on a smile, and got ready to talk greatly about the Assassins. They were still a band, even though they didn't have an official herd. It was true that they had two main meeting places, and soon enough when numbers were greater, they would have a herd land to call theirs. Flipping her golden brown mane out of her eyes, she spoke again against the biting cold wind. "The Assassins offer you protection, food, and a strengthened family that will always have your back, Miss", the girl spoke with wisdom. It was true, she wasn't only recruiting for numbers, but for sheer members to call 'family'.

Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier

Although I couldn't imagine what sort of past events the younger ebonite had experienced in her lifetime, I could tell that she was troubled by this sudden meeting, but I knew not the reasoning behind her discomfort. My heart went out to her; I could only imagine what sort of burdens some carried on their shoulders upon entering Helovia. Myself, for instance, had come with a heart full of holes and a lost sense of purpose. My best friend had perished from this world, and I hadn't known what to do to rekindle myself until I had wandered to the World's Edge.

The dark mare proclaimed herself as Ravahna, and spoke of her search for shelter. I couldn't blame her with the threat of Frostfall lingering over us; the snow was already blanketing the ground, but the season had yet to wrap its most bitterly cold fingers around Helovia. The World's Edge was unique to the rest of the lands around here, however, for it held many contained fires fueled by the breath of our Weyrleader and the many dragons residing there.

Despite Ravahna's obvious discomfort, it seemed she was able to keep her head together and spoke up, questioning myself and the Assassin mare what each of us offered. I was more than prepared to answer, but not before Accalia had opened her mouth and spoke first. She claimed that the Assassins were a strengthed family, but there could be many definitions to such a statement. Deep within my chest I found a flicker of annoyance beginning to grow, but I doused it before it could show on my external features.

Shifting my gaze from Accalia and back to Ravahna, I offered a gentle smile as I spoke fondly of my own precious homeland. "The World's Edge is a family built on loyalty and kindness. We welcome all and offer our members respect, guidance, protection, and the ability to obtain a rank of their choosing if they wish. During Frostfall, our Weyrleader and our family of dragons light fires for the members to warm themselves, and food is always plentiful even in the worst of the season."

From her perch on the branch hanging near my head, Suli had begun to bob her head as if in agreement to my statement. She was young, not having even seen an entire season of life, but already she knew these things I spoke of were true.

Credits

Unregistered

| Ravahna | Mare | Six | 15.2hh | Friesian x Shagya Arab |

[blockquote]

• Ravahna shifted her gaze between each of the equines at least three times. Finally the ivory mare began to speak. It amused her somewhat, the way she spoke. In truth she rarely underestimated any creature since her father. It was something she was afraid to do, to underestimate someone or something for what they were actually capable of. She had learned the hard way, many times, that to underestimate was to put your life on the line. At this very moment she was looking out for herself, it may have seemed selfish to anyone else but to her it was normal. Being alone for almost four years had taught her to trust no one and to keep to herself. It was a way of life for her but she knew that the time would come for her to come out of the wood and explore the world around her and grow. For now she would hide her past from Helovia. She would hide everything, her past was not something that should be brought up upon a first meeting with her species. It could very well send her into another spiral. One that she hadn't experienced for almost a whole year.

Without hesitation she began to speak in response to the fae, her tone low and cautious.
    "Trust me miss Accalia. I know best of all that looks can be decieiving."
    The mare began to speak again and Ravahna listened intently, catching every word and letting her mind absorb their meanings. She would be careful with how she spoke to the residents here in Helovia until she was back on her feet again. The last thing she wanted was to make enemies on her first encounter, or her second. In fact she decided that it was best she only speak when spoken to until the forseable future. It seemed best that way, afterall one could not hate her for minding her own business.
    "I wouldn't harm a fly unless it gave me reason to. I may not seem it, but I'm somewhat civil."
    She found amusement her response and released a small bit of laughter. Her first in what seemed like forever. If it weren't for the bitter winds that nipped at her hocks she would have seemed less tense, but the cold was something she had never been used to. Where she came from the falling of winter snow was a mere childs tale. It was always hot, the sun beat down upon the earth like the thundering of her herds hooves, but now the ground was covered in a blanket of snow.
    "The pleasure is all mine, Accalia. Traveling you say? Isn't it a bother to travel year round, in both fluctuating temperatures and seasons? Or do you bed down in certain areas, areas that you call home most often I should say?"
    Ravahna was curious as to how a band of roaming equines could survive in such horrid conditions, if they did they had to have had a place here and there that they visit more than anywhere else. A place they somewhat call home. She was weary about traveling, especially in such a new place. It wouldn't be to much of her benefit if she were to by chance lose track of her band and become lost in an unknown land. Then she would be in danger.
    "A strengthened family you say? How big exactly is this...family?"
    She felt more comfortable knowing that the group the mare was speaking of might be very close knit. It was something she was definitley looking for, she wouldn't dare make the mistake of being an outcast among a group. That would only make it harder for her to ask for protection from her father and his small herd later on in the season. She saw it best to leave that part out until she was better aquainted with whoever she left the Threshold with. All she would do now was let them know protection was a large portion of her request upon entering a 'family' group. Ravahna nodded as the mare finished, now the male called Destrier began to speak.

Ravahna enjoyed listening to his voice but still she was cautious of him. She hadn't trusted a male of any species in a very long time. It was another one of her issues, one that had left a scar in her memory, and the fact that this male resembled her father frightened her. In a way though, it also made her want to leave with him. She couldn't pinpoint it but there was something about this male that made her feel safe. She still wouldn't trust him though, not for a very long time. Trust was not even in her vocabulary at this point. It was a word that only brought tears to eyes.
    "The World's Edge...I like the sound of that place. From what you say it sounds like a very stable home for a newcomer such as myself. You are of high rank there, so you must speak well of your homeland only because you know well of it, am I correct?"
    The creature that hung above the large males head seemed very enthusiastic about the conversation, as if she were apart of it as well. Almost as if she were telling her that what Destrier was saying was true. Ravahna was very interested in the reptilian-bird-like-creature. It was so strange, yet so enchanting. It was unlike any animal she had ever come across and it was obvious she was interested in some sort of interaction with the creature. She stared for a moment and laughed a bit as it bobbed it's head. It was an endearing sort of laugh, one that wasn't observed coming from her very often. After observing the creature for a moment or two she returned her attention to the two equines that stood in front of her.
[/blockquote]

Destrier

I could tell that Ravahna was weary of me; bless her heart. Unknowing of the trials that life had thrown in her direction, it would have been wrong of me to blame her for whatever she was thinking of me. Fear, distrust, anguish, uncertainty... Bringing her home to the safety of the World's Edge would prove to be a bit more difficult, and while I truly wished for her to follow me home to the beautiful, misty cliffs, I would not loathe her for wanting to go elsewhere. As long as it wasn't with the Assassin mare to my left.

From her perch, Suli had turned her head to the ivory mare and hissed softly, sensing through our bond my dislike of the ivory mare. With a quick glance towards the little green I silently reprimanded her, ceasing her back to silence. She was merely looking out for her well-being as well as my own, and she was young yet, so I couldn't say I blamed her, either.

Turning my gaze back to the smaller of the mares, ears curving forward to catcht the words she spoke, I gave a gentle nod of my head before I set to answering. "It is a wonderful place, Ravahna, as are most of the areas Helovia has to offer. If you would prefer, you are more than welcome to take a look at the Edge before you come to a decision." A kind offer, I figured, for I knew I had been wary of settling anywhere after the fall of Vallhea and my family. I had decided on the World's Edge in the end, for it's beauty was simply breathtaking, and the others who called it home all held kind hearts within their chests. I was happy to call them my family, even if they were not blood.

"I walked into these very woods a loner, and I walked out as one," I decided to explain, hoping that it might give the mare some form of comfort to know that there was no pressure to make a decision right away. "I was offered a home in the Dragon's Throat, which is allied with the Edge, but I decided to visit each before finally coming to a decision."

Hearing the mare's gentle laugh, Suli had paused in whatever she was doing and returned the stare, cocking her head curiously to one side. After a moment, the dragoness seemed to have decided that she'd spent much too long up in the branches and out of reach. Propelling herself from her perch, she opened her wings to catch herself on the frigid air and landed in the soft blanket of snow, looking up at the dark mare with a curious look in the sheen of her purple eyes. Would the dark Ravahna become one of her few friends some day?

A soft chuckle escaped my throat at the dragoness' actions, before I focused my gaze back upon the mare, awaiting patiently for her answer. Whatever it was, I would surely be happy with it.

[ooc - Skipping Accalia as it has been over the 72 hour waiting period.]

Credits