the Rift

Crash Boom Bang

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan
In the gathering darkness many a shadow stirred beneath the forest canopy. A musky scent of animals, earth and evergreen mixed and mingled with the chilling nip of frozen water, of ice and wintry air. The strong breeze was cold and carried a promise of more snow sometime soon, but as of yet the sky was simply clouded and blushing after the kiss of the last rays of sun. Darkness fell earlier for each day now and the light retreated more hurriedly, as if chased away by something that might taint it.

The weather suited her just fine. None of the cold managed to find its way in beneath the thick blanket of fur that coated her body, and between moving the wings to a steady beat and shuffling through deep snow, the only danger to her well being would be the risk of working up a sweat. It was tempting to just keep on going, to veer off and fly blindly towards the disappearing horizon until her wings could carry her no longer... But she was too experienced a flier to challenge a snowstorm at night, in a landscape she didn't know. She'd heard too many stories of horses getting their wings snapped clean off as they flew blindly into mountainsides - had too many bouts against violent storms when she in youthful ignorance believed herself to be faster, stronger and more skilled than her parents - to take such a risk.

Reluctantly Shadow allowed her pace to drop. As the altitude decreased the black mare adjusted the angle of her wings and fell into large, lazy spirals as she began to scout the landscape below in search of a place to land. It was easier said than done. She'd been flying over the same green ocean of trees for hours now, an endless mass of snow covered branches that didn't allow access to the ground for someone of her size. Before nightfall she'd thought she'd seen some change towards the horizon, a brightening of the dull green tones that could indicate an end to the forest. Now, however, she only had the faint grayish patches of snowy ground to go by as she fell down to glide just above the pines, and it was a precarious task to navigate in the deepening darkness. With increasing impatience she searched the ground, wings beating the air heavily to keep her airborne and on course. It grew increasingly difficult as the towering clouds approached from the north. Crosswinds and sudden changes in air pressure sent her bouncing through the sky like a rabbit on weed, making her stomach lurch and turn over each time the hooves brushed against prickly pine needles. She had to hurry, had to find a place to land before the weather grew worse, had to touch down in a good spot that wouldn't break her legs, snap the wings or pull out feathers, a landing that wouldn't kill her. Amethyst eyes darted back and forth, then brightened as a clearing came in sight. The little mare swirled around, inky wings raising and sinking rapidly to build up enough momentum to battle the wind, cut through the barrage of gusts that tried to bring her down...

Suddenly the air simply disappeared from underneath her wings. Shock and a sense of mild annoyance passed through her thoughts as she began to fall, barely registering her own fear and panic as the ground came rushing towards her. All she could think about as her body slammed into trees and cracked branches on its descent was how ironic it was. That she would fall to the ground because of her decision to land. It was almost amusing. Interesting like the burning of the skin as it raked across scaly cortex, the stabbing as splinters poked through the skin of the legs and tapped from her veins. Funny like the feeling of having her eyes pricked by dust and debris, and like the final thud as she slammed into the ground with a painful whoosh of snow and feathers and air that rushed from her lungs. Then everything went black.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Accalia Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
These were the days that Accalia sometimes wished she had wings. The freezing weather gripped the land, and now that Orangemoon was at its end, the snow has fell relentlessly on the land. But for the past few days, strangely the snow ceased to come, but it still left its mark on the soil: damp, cold, and wet. That is why the normally trotting fae had trouble getting through the dense woods. But today, was a normal beautiful day, and she loved it all. Pricking her ears forwards, she managed to keep a fast pace, avoiding trees, and listening to the sounds of nature enveloping her. Looking up into the tree tops, she saw cardinals, red little birds jumping from branch to branch and vocally chirping to each other.

But her red brown eyes grasped something else falling from the sky. An animal muchbigger than a bird fell on the tops of the trees, breaking through the branches, cutting itself. With surprise, the white fae galloped swiftly towards the broken body. Alas, the pegasusfell ungracefully to the ground on a patch of unmelted snow, mixed with the dirt. The figure stayed there, lying down motionless, and it was time for the girl to intervene. Galloping, and bending down to nudge the mare, Accalia started speaking, unsure of what to do. "Hello? Hello? Are you okay? M'am?" She quickly questioned trying to nudge her onto her hooves. Kicking snow on top of the mare, the girl tried waking her up. "Are you okay?" The question slipped out again, hoping the mare would wake up.

Cirrus Posts: 233
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8 HP: 69 | Buff: SWIFT
Whit

Cirrus
& Sitka
On days where the snow obscured one's path from view, I was glad we lived in the desert. The sands still grew warm then the Sun managed to peek out from behind the dreary, overcast, pregnant clouds above us. The nights were chilly, but as the days grew shorter, our coats grew longer, thicker, more capable of containing our body heat.

There was also the convenient fact that my beloved possessed a magic she was still learning, a magic that allowed her to live in whatever weather she pleased, a magic blessed upon her the same day her father passed from this realm, to the next. I remember that day. It was a beautiful day, one I know she thinks about often - for I hear and feel all her thoughts, and she feels most of mine. Each time she thinks of him, a glimmer of sadness dares to stick it awful head up, and I growl at it, and scare it back down - each time, it gets easier, and I know that there will be a day that she will think of him, and I will not need to chase away the sadness, for she will be healed.

Why we are in the Threshold this day is something I am still unclear on. My beloved wished to travel North, that much I know, but she was without direction, without aim or purpose. I clung to her back, like I had many times now (slowly I was getting used to the idea of flight), shutting my eyes tight against the chilling wind - silently hoping my beloved would employ her gift to warm the air around us. But as I delve into her mind I realise she is doing something else, asking the wind to be gentle to her wings - they were larger than most pegasi, I had noted with some pride, but this also meant that they were more prone to getting caught in unpredictable windfalls or uprises than those with shorter, stouter wings.

It was like a prayer in her cranium, a chant, murmuring over and over, I felt her plea to her magic to hold on, to guide her bodice in exactly the way she needed it to go - I felt fear rising at the back of her mind, from the same place the sadness sometimes peeked out of, fear that she would fail in this flight in the midst of a snowstorm, fear that we would descend. I growled, champing on her mane with renewed vigour, chasing the fear away, lending her my strength, my fearlessness, my inner fire. It worked - until we saw something, someone descending from the skies before us.

It was only because she was so dark against the whiteout of the snow that we noticed her descent. Through my beloved's eyes, I watched the form fall in just the way my beloved feared we would - but we did not copy her. Holding fast to her magic, she barely summoned the wind to give us a gentle landing, and with some curiosity she saw another approach the fallen form of the pegasus. With a smooth leap I was upon the snow on my own dark feet, watching as my beloved Cirrus tucked her large wings to her side, and approached the fallen one with caution, nickering out warmly (despite the chilly circumstances).

With a stubborn shake of my coat, I felt the fire ignite along my back then, chasing away more cold from the scene, and giving it a new, eerie, blue light. Cirrus meanwhile, summoned her voice, and in firm, unyielding tones, she ordered the one standing nearby to stand back - kicking snow upon an unconscious soul was not going to help. "Stand back, and be quiet." It was not impolite, merely given in the tones of one who knew better - my beloved was a healer, after all, and was slowly gaining more experience in these circumstances.

I felt her concentrate then, as she called upon her personal magic to make the weather be more pleasant - she was not yet strong enough to abate the storm completely, but she could take the edge off it, and offer the local area with some unusual warmth - aided by the flames that danced along my spine. I came closer, giving her eyes the light they needed to see the extent of the damage. Though the patient was unconscious, my beloved began to hum and chant, knowing that the melody helped her own concentration just as much as it often soothed the patient. Hopefully, as the patient woke up, it would be slowly - should she wake up to quickly, she was liable to hurt herself more.

It was after she found her tune that she summoned the magic the Sun God had blessed her with as a healer of the Throat. I felt it light up within her, I saw it glisten behind her cerulean eyes. The storm that raged in the skies above also raged upon her coat, but there was a calm serenity within my beloved, and she extended it to the fallen creature before her, reaching down with her soft muzzle to touch the dark pegasus' wet pelt, feeling a warm connection lace them together - her magic, as it moved from herself to the unconscious. It was thrilling, to feel it weave its way around the bruised and battered body, leaving nothing but pure, perfect flesh in its wake. As it danced around the mind of the fallen, the light cushioned the damaged brain, gently restoring what had been altered to make the mare fall unconscious.

The job was complete, and with a deep sigh, Cirrus cut the tie to the healing magic, feeling duller, darker in the wake of the Sun God's brilliant, enlightened gift. I crept closer to my beloved's side, lighting her instead with the flames upon my back, flames that would never burn her, but instead always provide her with the comfort that I was here.

And then we waited, to see what would become of her efforts.
image credits
table by whit
as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

• please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
    I write what I feel at the time
    and hope everyone else does the same c:

Chan
    All was darkness. She felt strange, floating in an endless sky of nothingness. Who was she? What had happened? Thinking was difficult, like wading through thick deep mud that kept sucking her back into its cold and clammy embrace. It was bothersome and worrying, this place. It seemed to swirl around her, or maybe she was the one spinning on the spot, in a dizzying dance that didn't bring her anywhere. And somewhere far beyond a horizon she couldn't see, someone was talking. It was a muffled sound, familiar yet foreign at the same time, and she would have loved to move closer to listen more closely. None of her efforts payed out however, and after a while the wordless murmur began to annoy her. It was like the sensation that someone was standing next to you just beyond the range of sight, unspeaking and unwilling to reveal who they were. Like the memory of a warm summers day, fleeting and intangible, alluring and inviting... She turned towards the light, allowed herself to bask in the radiant glow, and when it retreated from the dark void, Shadow followed.

"Ouch... owowow... eh?" The pained murmur broke off in a puzzled grunt as the black mare began to stir on the ground. She had expected sharp, grueling pain to stab her entire body as she returned to consciousness. She wouldn't have been at all surprised if the legs had been turned into bloody twigs, broken and useless, or if the wings had transformed and been replaced by limp rags, forever useless. What she hadn't expected as she straightened out her limbs however, was to feel nothing but a dull ache in the muscles that had banged so ruthlessly into the towering trees. Neither had she counted on a gentle warmth to permeate the air so that the snow beneath her body began to melt, slowly seeping in through the double layered coat and chilling the dark skin beneath. And... wait. Was that breathing? Yes, it was. One, two.. no three set of breaths, scattered in a loose circle around her, and one was decidedly not from a horse. Had predators come to claim her, like they had claimed her mother not a full year ago? Maybe she had died and arrived at some other place, and that was why she only had to deal with minor aches and bruises... But then again, why would there be bruises and scrapes in the Heavenly Meadows?

There was nothing more to it. She would have to take a look. Slowly, carefully the little mare pried an eyelid open and peered up through thick dark eyelashes, barely even revealing the shimmering amethyst eyes hidden beneath the bushy forelock. Something white gleamed at a slight distance from where she lay, a blurred paleness shaped like a horse... Maybe it was her bleary eyes that made it look like the wings had fallen off from the elegant shoulders. A trick of the light, yes. Surely that was the case. The gaze then turned to consider the other frame that towered close by. Shadow had to blink twice before she managed to make out the silhouette, dark and vague like the evening itself. Was it another trick of the eye that the gray coat seemed to swirl and change like the clouds that now rolled in above them, pregnant with snow and cold? There was no mistaking the wings on this one though, because even here on the ground the shade realized their impressive size and felt a prick of envy dart through her mind.

It was the thing next to the large-winged pegasi that finally brought the fallen crow to her feet. With a sudden start she rolled up on her feet and heaved up, wings flapping and nostrils flaring as the purple eyes took in the black and blue predator by the feet of the clouded angel. What was this? A wolf, a dog, a malicious beast ready to rip and tear and devour her flesh, a bringer of tears and agony and death! Shadow backed away quickly, ears pinned tight to the poll without letting the fiery creature go with her eyes for even a second.

"Where am I, what happened? No, I know what happened, but how come you are here, and why am I.. okay? And what is THAT?" She dared a quick look between the two horses before returning to glare at the sharp-fanged monster, distrust painted vividly across her face.

Healed

Accalia Posts: N/A
    Unregistered
    :: :: ::
    As I frantically nudged the mare, more sounds of approaching horses reached my audits, and I turned my neck around to see a serious looking mare approach us. A pegasus, like the black mare on the ground, but with enormous wings told me to stand back. I knew it was for the unconscious one's best interests, and respectfully the girl stepped back letting the mare do what she needed to. Shutting her mouth, clenching her jaw nervously, she watched as the dusky pegaus worked magic on the fallen one. Even though Accalia was not born or raised with magic, she knew plenty of it and of the horses that possessed it. Quite curious in fact, she wanted to question the woman where she had got the magic, but instead decided to stay quiet as she commanded even though they weren't part of the same herd.

Watching the scene unfold, she saw the black girl start to shuffle and awake. A pained murmur escaped the girl's lips, as she looked around, almost frantically. The white mare had a question in her head of why she seemed so daze, but of course the mare had just fallen from the sky and landed hard on the ground. The girl started daydreaming on how it would be like to have wings as the other girl was starting to look around wildly. Two powerful appendages supporting her whole body and lifting her up into the air. How incredible.

Looking back towards the mare, she seemed to be shifting more into focus, but stared at something past the two standing girls in front of her. "Hello there, I'm Accalia , and you're in the Threshold where many newcomers arrive", the white mare spoke. "I am here strolling in the lovely forest, and also looking for horses to bring back to my band, the Assassins", the girl said with another kind smile. "You're okay because you didn't land too hard", the fae said with a giggle. "What is what?" The girl said looking around. What did she see?

Whit

Cirrus
    & Sitka
    As I focussed upon my beloved, I watched as she observed the fallen one regain her consciousness, and awaken. The dark limbs that carried the stormy pelt above stepped back, giving space for the creature of feathers, sinew and limbs to rise, fearing that as she did so, she would surely hurt herself again. But the mare seemed to gather her feet beneath her with relative ease - though her wits were still somewhat scattered. Taking another step back, I had to sigh at the fear that my presence invariably triggered - but I did not leave my beloved's side, both physically and mentally, for her own mind was still feeling the effects of the magic she wielded with such expertise, and I had to be there, to help her. She stammered a jumble of words, emphasising her fear of my canine form - I merely tilted my head at her, lolling my tongue out to the side and panted, knowing full well that while this was the canine expression of relaxation, it could be read as something totally different. Words from the pale equine mare caught our attention then, as Cirrus and my head's both turned to view the one called Accalia. Her words were.. Confusing. Did she not see me here, standing beside my bondmate? Did she not feel the warmth from the fire that danced along my spine? I whined lowly, the sound not that different to a growl, but with a distinctively less aggressive tone to it. My bonded took more offence to this affront, and immediately stepped towards the equine, unafraid to get in her face about the issue.

"Are you blind?" She asked bluntly, actually genuinely curious to know whether the mare could not see me. Turning her attention back to the dark pegasus, annoyance still lining her posture, she spoke in matter-of-factual tones, ears tilting slightly as they threatened to be swallowed by her haphazardous mane. "You fell plenty hard. I healed you - couldn't have you dying face first in the snow. Sitka is my bondmate, he shall not harm you." Unless I asked him to. Her thoughts reverberated in her cranium, and I wondered if they were true. I was loyal to the death of my beloved one, but I was capable of making my own decisions too - I did feel like chewing on the leg of the equine mare for her ignorance, but refrained, knowing that it would not help the situation. "Why the fuck would you think strolling in a snowstorm is lovely?" The attention of my beloved had turned back to the equine, wondering what kind of drugs she was on. Since her study of the healing arts, her knowledge of different herbs and what they could do had expanded dramatically, she knew that some could alter one's state of mind - was this equine affected by one, or more, such things? "Oh," the little storm-hued mare murmured, as I interjected upon her brain a sense of restraint, a gentle reminder that she was yet to illuminate the gathered of her own name. "I'm Cirrus, hailing from the Dragon's Throat, a desert land, south of here." And sure as hell warmer too.

I had to be amused at my beloved's spitfire tendency to jump before she thought about the landing. Her wicked tongue and forthright sense of righteousness was sometimes misplaced, but she meant well, and truly, she was an incredible soul - I certainly felt honoured to share links with it. Around us, the weather shifted, the storm still raging overhead battered against the magical 'bubble' she had constructed, and as I felt the pressure of holding onto her magic increase, I felt her consciously shift the hold she grasped onto of her magic - a breeze, chilly, icy like that which carried snow around us, stole a path through the gathering, all the more colder due to the warmth that had previously comforted us. The pegasus youth that shared my soul snorted lightly, before wandering back to my side, touching the crown of my skull with the smooth, velvet touch of her lips, before looking over her shoulder to the dark, shadowy pegasus. "You're welcome to follow me to shelter if you like." Turning her sharp, icy gaze to the equine mare, she locked away the name of the band she claimed to be a part of (or was she their leader? She did say my band, after all) - the name itself was enough to deter Cirrus. Assassins ran along the lines of ones who killed, either for reward, or simply pleasure. Cirrus was a healer, though she was keen to know how to defend herself (and had learned a fair bit when her father was still alive), she had no desire to associate herself with one who belonged to a group that openly paraded their desires for death. Turning herself away from the gathering with barely another glance, she folded her wings down more tightly (so that they wouldn't be pried open by the cutting wind and break against the nearby naked boughs of the surrounding forest), and began walking.

I lingered behind for merely a moment, looking between each soul with quiet curiosity, wondering if either of them would seek further attention from my beloved. Huffing slightly, I too then turned away, walking smoothly in the wake of my beloved, forever grateful that now she was upon the ground and not so focussed on the distraction of guiding the wind beneath her wings, she could focus upon merely warming the bubble of air that surrounded us.

[She's not gone totally, she's just never been a recruiter, lol. :P]
    image credits
    table by whit
    as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

Chan
    Shadow remained where she were, tense and ready to leap away at the slightest sign that the predator was about to attack. As the pale horse opened her maw and began to speak a furry round ear rose slightly from the back-stroked position, quivering and turning to catch the words of the dove. They didn't make much sense. Was it the fall that had rattled her brain, or was this Accalia mare actually talking gibberish? She seemed thoroughly confused, since she seemed to think that everything was all peaches and sunshine - how she had managed not to notice the blizzard roaring above and around her was anyones guess. The inky mare snorted in disbelief at the notion that the fall and crash onto the ground had been anything but brutal, and actually dared to turn her eyes upon the confused horse.

Shock passed through her as though she had plunged into icy water. Shadow had to blink, both once and thrice before she was able to believe her own eyes. The mare was wingless. Her pearly sides were barren, stripped of any semblance of protrusions. The shoulders were smooth like freshly fallen snow, as if no feather had ever cloaked them... Horror mingled with a burning pity for Accalia. Not only was she mentally challenged, she had never been able to soar through the heavens, never roamed the endless horizon and tasted the sweetness of true freedom. A birth defect perhaps? The rugged little pegasi had never before seen anyone without wings, and though it was rude she found herself unable to stop staring at the fae, transfixed by the crippled creature.

The storm-coated pegasi next to her also seemed to react to the silliness of the grounded bird. Her words were sharp, and despite the fear and suspicion that coursed through her, the crow couldn't help a faint snicker from escaping her. Partly from shock, part out of admiration of the unveiled bluntness of the filly. No silk there, only steel and diamond and... But sadly she too seemed prone to talk nonsense, and the brilliant gaze of the shade hardened as she looked over the threesome before her.

"Healed me? What do you mean, healed me? How did you do that? Bones grow at their own pace, feathers regrow only when the old ones are gone. How can you possibly... and what do you mean with bonded? Is it.. he.. tame? This made so little sense that Shadow was beginning to wonder if she had hit her head a bit too hard. Wingless horses, healing that restored a broken being back to perfect health and predators that supposedly didn't attack... Maybe she was dead after all.

Even as she spoke she noticed how the gray one, Cirrus, began to pull back. Feeling a bit offended by the lack of concern over her obvious confusion, Shadow threw a quick glance at Accalia before she hurried forward, wings still half open as she followed the younger mare - taking care to make sure the blue-black monster was on the other side.
    "Hey, wait up! Cirrus, was it? You live around here somewhere, right? Where is this place exactly? Accalia said Threshold.. The threshold to what?" Then her voice lowered and a quick glance was thrown over the shoulder towards the wingless dame. "Did you see her.. Wonder what happened to her wings. It must be horrible not to be able to fly..."

Healed

Whit

Cirrus
    & Sitka
    The dark one continues speaking, and while my abrupt little stormcloud had begun wandering away, she did tilt an ear towards the sound, smiling to herself. I felt in her mind, the realisation that she was speaking to a foreigner, a newcomer to the lands - this was not something she often did. Normally others in the herd brought them home, and that was where she greeted them (or more often then not, healed them). The questions the unknown dark mare posed were not unusual questions - the fact of the matter was, Cirrus was born into this wonderfully chaotic, magical world and so thought that this was normal. Being bonded to myself had further opened her eyes to the wonders Helovia contained - being able to palpate another's soul with one's own was an enlightening experience, to say the least.

"What is your name?" My little stormcloud asked, pausing her step to allow the pegasus to catch up, glad to pretend the equine assassin was behind them, forgotten. As the words kept on coming from the dark one, my bonded realised just how sheltered a life this mare must have lived before literally tumbling into the Threshold. Cirrus couldn't possibly hope to explain everything, but I felt the resolve within her tighten as she aimed to do her very best to enlighten the mare on the workings of Helovia.

"Sitka is hardly tame," she began, with an amused smile thrown my way. I lolled my tongue out of my mouth in a few breaths of pant - a generally happy expression, though panting wasn't really needed in these chilly circumstances. "We are bound to one another, our souls have been entwined.. He is everything to me." She said quietly, though clear enough to be heard over the wind that danced around us, but subtle enough that the wind would blur the words to anyone but the shadowy mare. Her magic was working hard to try and deflect said wind, so that the pocket of warmth around us could continue to be maintained. "Bones do heal at their own pace, as do feathers and flesh and blood and everything else.. Unless you are gifted with the ability to enhance this natural process, to improve it and to bend it to your will. My home is sanctioned by the Lord of the Sun, and he granted me with this magic, for as long as I might wish to call myself a healer."

There was so much to speak of, so much to say, that she simply could not say right now. The Sun God had done a great many thing for her - she was sure it had been he who took her father's bodice in the form of a phoenix, he who had given her the magic to alter the weather on that same day, he who had even given me my ability to call flames to dance along my spine. "You walk now in the Threshold of Helovia, a land that contains much more than I have spoken of. That mare back there.. That assassin," she said the word with undisguised distaste, "is an equine, just one of the species that shares Helovia's vast grounds. The other main one is a unicorn, and they look much like equines, but have horns, usually jutting out from their heads." And commonly stealing my family.

"I'm actually travelling North at the moment," she said, knowing she was doing an appalling job at 'recruiting', as those who often took part in the task called it. "My home, the Dragon's Throat, is south of here -you'd be welcome there."

[ Posting out of order as Orinthia indicated to Chan that she would not be pursuing this if Shadow would not follow her. Please let me know if I am incorrect and I shall delete this post myself, thank you. ]
    image credits
    table by whit

• I enjoy being tagged.

Chan
    Gradually, inch by inch the tucked away ears began to grow visible within the tufted mass of hair running down the deck. The lack of growling, snarling and attacking from the mangy wolf creature on the other side of Cirrus didn't really make her any less suspicious of it, but how would Shadow be able to hear anything the filly had to say if she kept blocking out all sound? Instead the dark lobes twitched and rolled atop of her head, warily taking in any and every sound she could hear in the surrounding area. Scents were heavy upon the wind, smells both sharp and faint that didn't tell her more than how often frequented this area was, to be able to retain trails even after snow had fallen. Were they all locals? It must be a big region she had arrived to then, if so many could come and go so freely, and not too far away judging by the look of the gray lady that strode forth to the side and slightly ahead of her. She didn't look very old at all, only two or three years younger than herself.

"What's your name?" A question broke the momentary silence and recalled the attention of the charred pigeon, who responded with little more than a quick glance and a shrug; how was that even relevant?
    "Shadow" she replied quickly, about to ask the questions that burned upon her tongue once again. She didn't have to though, because soon after the fawn began to speak - each word uttered only raising another question within her bewildered mind.

It was hard to believe it. Minds twined together, some Lord or whatnot who had been handing out magic and could make it so that this person could make wounds to mend. And not to mention the supposed multitude of different races who had not only been stripped of wings but who had horns growing from their bodies... This just turned worse and worse!
    For all that she tried, the rotund little mare couldn't keep the look of doubt and incredulity from showing on the face. Her silence spoke multitudes of how silly and crazy this all sounded to her, and it prolonged as the newcomer mulled over the situation, her short legs struggling to keep up with the others longer stride. Would she.. could she believe such a wild story? Was the winter-colored girl pulling one over her, just waiting to see if her tall tale would be believed only to burst out laughing? It was possible, but rhymed ill with the calm matter-of-fact way the explanations was delivered. It also didn't match with what she knew about her accident and her own current state. The wings that flapped once and folded tight against the sides should have been broken, but didn't hurt anywhere. Muscles that stretched and relaxed, steadily carrying her forward had been ripped, pounded and pierced, but the only thing she could feel was a vague ache and a stiffness that quickly was beginning to dissolve with movement.

So.. she really had been healed? The thought made her mind reel, tail snapping against the hocks as if to mark how little she liked the idea. That someone could affect her body and make it do things was frightening, impressive... A lilac eye studied the shape of the young lady, already a hand taller than herself but obviously far from her peak of strength and power, and filled with a sudden rush of respect and interest. Magic, huh. Wasn't it just amazing! Were there more magic, what could it do, how did it work? Could anyone wield it, or were the ones who could very special people? Questions burned on her tongue, fear mixed with a strong desire to know more...

Too absorbed in thoughts she at first didn't hear the offer to stay with Cirrus' herd. When the full meaning of the words finally sank in the wolf-girl was given a long, measuring look beneath half-lidded eyes, that finally ended in a quick shake of the head. "No" she replied slowly. "Thank you, but don't think I'll go. Not yet, anyway. I'll go with you. Clearly I need to see more of this Helovia, see for myself whether... Don't worry though, I won't slow you down. Treat me like a shadow if you like; that's who I am after all." And with a quick grin that flashed bright and sudden in the deepening darkness the crow fell back to let Cirrus lead the way north and away from the Threshold; only now finally noticing how the storm howled and raged around them without more effect than the odd gust that ruffled the thick pelts. Oh yes, she definitely had to see more of this intriguing pegasus; she'd follow whether the other wished for it or not, if only to find some confirmation that the information was correct.

Oh, how she wanted it to be true.

[Finished]

Healed