the Rift

[OPEN] Come Out and Play

Catalina Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

C a t a l i n a

Your going your own way
Walking with your own sway

Sharp, curious eyes traced the dim white silhouette of a tall jagged cliff swathed in a mysterious sea-spray mist. The day was dull and dreary, drenched in cold bleak shade and intermittent flash downpours driven by an early Frostfall wind, made play-time on the beach unpleasant. Cat was soaked through, standing across stiff, defiant limbs in the frothing surf. Thoughtfully she glanced towards the tree-line to find her mother watching, ever cautious and devoted to the welfare of her young adventurer daughter. Kyan was with her, though his interest seemed distracted as he foraged about, hopping quietly through the brackish scrub, always nearby to his bonded.

Again, her eyes quickly sought the tempting presence of the looming cliff where it reached into the sky, beyond their bay- upon its rocky back laid the World’s Edge, her Mother often explained. Cat would always twist the stories with a mischievous grin, pretending that it marked, in actual fact, the ‘edge of the world’. A brisk snort fluttered from the tip of her tapering slim nose, her expression stern and always calculating. Kanti often spoke of the edge of the world, and those who had fled to there when their Foothills were invaded. The memories shared with the filly were ordinarily fond and merry. Cat had no reason to suspect the nature of such a clan should be anything less than humble and accommodating.

“Mother!” she called, turning and springing with light prancing strides from the lashing waves along the sodden shoreline. “Mother, I am going to play!” As a general rule, Cat knew that she was not to leave the safety of their beach-home; not to stray beyond her Mother’s line of sight. “I will not be long.” The girl moved to brush her still soft, youthful lips against Kanti’s warm breast- kissing it tenderly like she always did, before leaping away in a northern direction. Today she would break that rule. She travelled swiftly and sure-footedly through the scattering of coast-hugging palms, and naked, prickly thickets away from the sanctuary of the familiar sand and ocean; leaving behind the roaring crash of windblown waves.

For a long while the terrain remained much the same, vegetation which grew thin and sporadic with little nourishment from the flimsy, sandy loam. Cat was not ignorant though and knew well that her make-shift home did not stretch eternally to blanket the entire Helovian landscape- she knew that soil would cushion her step soon, and continued with bold determination, on her quest to find the switch. When it did, elation flooded her naturally demure expression and eagerly her muzzle was lowered to snuffle against the change of terrain; to brush the supple grasses as they invaded the wiry patches of coastal carpet. Filled with an overwhelming sense of accomplishment, Cat burst forward into the new territory, continuing brazenly to find the horses which lived on the brink of life itself.

She passed close to the rugged seaboard, and was considerate to leave a trail of scent strewn hoof prints in her wake, should her Mother worry and seek to find her daughter. Cat was obedient and graceful in the manner by which she conducted herself, and she would never have intentionally sought to trouble Kanti with foolish venturing. Occasionally, she would pause to rub her short, mane encased neck along a gnarled tree trunk, or chew quietly at the loose hanging bark of a branch. Either way, her progress was no secret.

The land began to incline, and the invisible track which she followed broke apart into shale and bare, cold rock. She wondered, as she climbed steadily with unwavering enthusiasm, if she were mounting that very cliff which she looked upon from a distance, so often.
It was indeed the cliff lining World’s Edge, and unbeknownst to her, Cat passed bluntly across the borderline which lay indiscernibly between the parcels of unfamiliar land. A lathering of scents and wonderfully strange aroma’s did linger when she passed, but the filly was used to the traversing of many beings- she lived as an outcast, and her kind were spilt recklessly across Helovia to travel and wander as nomads.

Soon, enormous trees began to grow around the traveller, and she paused in humble reflection to look at them and whisper her delight. Such old creatures were few and far between along the beach, and she took pleasure scouting through the forest as it unveiled itself before her through a light fog. The area was unlike any other she had seen- the deep forest was dim and cold, sunlight struggled to penetrate the canopy there; not to mention the stallion who claimed ownership of her Mother’s vulnerable heart was last seen there. The beach also, was certainly nothing like this labyrinth of long, lush grass and curious woodland pockets.

There was one whose name echoed through her mind as the excitement began to build in her throbbing heart, and she wondered with baited breath if he might come out and play with her- even though it was quite the miserable day to do so.

"Thinking Speaking Acting"

i wake up in the darkest night
watch you breath in shadow light

Note: ...

Kanti Posts: N/A
Unregistered
When you're young, everything feels like the end of the world. But it's not.
It's just the beginning.
KANTI
It was a quiet day, and for me, I was quite tired. I was dreaming again, and there was something so worrying about my dreams that is kept me up all night now. I could never remember what they were about, but I knew that is was something that I didn't like, and the thoughts always escaped me when I awoken, and Kyan too could never remember. He had the same dream, yet neither of us could remember. It was so strange, and it terrified me more than the dream itself. What was it that I was so afraid of that I couldn't remember it? But now because of my lack of sleep at night, I often took to dozing during the day. Catalina is not hyper by any means, but is much more restless then I am. I suppose it comes with being young, but truthfully, I am still plenty young, am I not? I feel the responsibility of her rest on my shoulders. It is not a completely bad feeling, and I know I wouldn't want it any other way. My child, my daughter, was everything to me, the whole wide world. I wanted to see her do nothing but be happy and grow up to know the good in the world, to be able to judge correctly and perhaps even have foal or two of her own. I want all of her dreams and hopes to come true, every single one of them. Nothing more I wish of my child is for her to know nothing of the pain and suffering of the world, though every parent wishes this. She sighs as she tries to properly watch her child as she stretches out on to the beach. Her blue eyes are shining with excitement, and I follow her as she travels up to the cliffs above our makeshift home.

She calls to me as I walk in a stupor, telling me she is going to play. I smile at her. She is so simple, so elegant and makes my heart warm with even the quiver of her voice. She kisses me before she leaves, and I nuzzle her in return, lips pressed on her forehead. I offer words of caution before she leaves, but I know that they are in vain. My daughter is too much like me.

"Cat, be careful, will you? Don't stray too far."

She is adventurous, restless if you will. I was like her at this age, always exploring and going on adventures. I was a dreamer, and I would sometimes just stare at the sky and daydream I was flying, seeing everything there was to in the world. My parents were simple and didn't care for such things, but they didn't discourage it either. They let me dream, and I will always be grateful for that. Without my dreams, I wouldn't have had such a beautiful daughter. Now I lay, telling Kyan I must rest, and since he has slept better than me, I give him the command to watch Catalina, from a distance of course. A mother must have her secrets, and I can certainly be secretive of keeping a good eye on her. He is a good watch kangaroo, and I know he will protect Cat while I doze for a while. I watch him attach to a tree above me before I lay my head down and close my eyes. I immediately start to sleep, and I feel more comfortable, and I don't dream. I sleep solidly, that is, until I am shaken awake. Kyan tries to pull me away from my lying position, and I shake myself awake.

Kyan, what's wrong?

He looks at me with eyes of worry, and gives me a picture of Cat, looking as she was before she went playing, then he points to the open field. I'm confused only for a moment, then I understand; my daughter is gone.

My eyes narrow, and I know that my daughter has disobeyed me. My first reaction is to be cross with her, but I know that I shouldn't. She's adventurous remember? I sigh as I get up, stretching and popping some bones. "Well, let's go get her then. She shouldn't be out so far on her own. You take the trees, and I'll take the ground."

We move as a team, scouting for signs of her. Kyan is the first to find something. Footprints lead us up a hill, and I can tell that she has made sure that I know where to find her. I laugh, and I know that she is indeed not trying to hide that she is adventurous. But as much as I love her, I am worried, and I quicken my pace so that I may find her. The scent of her is everywhere on the trail she took, and she was smart to leave such a path for me. I smile once again, and I find myself being less upset to becoming more proud that my daughter is so smart. However, there is something wrong, and her and Kyan both know it. There is a border here, that which leads into the World's Edge. Has she perhaps gone across the border line? This was dangerous now, as they were outcasts, and she didn't want to be rude. Some horses didn't take kindly to such actions, and she was back to being worried. As she approached the border, the smell of Catalina being ahead was apparent. Another sigh escapes my lips, and there is no one around me, and I quickly jump over the border, my hooves sinking into the soft soil of the Edge. I have never been in this herd land, and I know that this is not the way I would have liked to come here, but I must find her.

Kyan's keen eyes find her playing in the grass, and I know exactly where to appear so that she doesn't see me right away. I approach her, standing behind her. If she doesn't hear me before, she definitely will now. I nip at her rump, giving her a little pinch with my front teeth. My face is weary, and I am back to being a bit cross.

"Catalina, what are you doing! Do you realize that we're in the World's Edge now? If we get caught here we could be in serious trouble...we tresspased in a herd land, and some horses don't like that. Oh honey, I know you wanted some other place to play, but we don't live here, at least right now. I was thinking of coming here soon to talk to someone about joining, but I didn't want it to be like this."

There was a look on her face as if she had been looking for someone, and I cocked my head, curious to find out who she was looking for.

"Cat, where you looking for someone? Who?"

Speaking | Thinking | Doing

Notes;;
Words;;
Tag;;

Hellena Posts: 64
World's Edge Seer
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 26 Buff: NOVICE
Whit

I had always been told that foals had a knack for leaving a trail of destruction in their wakes. Having not had much to do with foals myself, I always assumed this was an exaggeration, a joke, a ridiculous generalisation.

As I walk through my woods, I realise it has the ring of truth. As the mists trail behind my leonine tail, my eyes scour the destruction wrought by what would surely be a great hoarde of beasts - but it contained only, one distinctive scent, with another, not dissimilar scent lingering nearby it. They were both foreign scents, and at that realisation, a frown folded my brow, and my delicate limbs were urged into swifter motion.

My pale form approaches, and in my wake, the mists seem to get thicker, the walls of the Edge closing down upon the strangers, the intruders. We do not take kindly to those that would ignore the borders, but upon lifting my ears to the voice of the older femme - the mother, I gather - I can see that she is aware of her crime. That, at least, says something about the intelligence of the beings before me. But still, she seems content to linger and stay trespassing, instead of remedying her error and vacating the lands as soon as possible. She mentioned a longing to join, but she was right, it would have been better if they had the sense to respect the borders.

Could I forgive the mistake of a youth, when it had been so long since I was considered young myself? I often forgot the significance of my learned years. A sigh tumbled from my lips as I pushed myself from the cusp of the treeline, horn held proud before me, neck arched to better angle my eyes to view the painted pair. My violet gaze does not waver as it pierces their own, as sharp and direct as the point of the cliff of my home that looks to the western horizon.

"What are you doing here?" My deep voice is not unkind, but neither is it overly welcome. I know more about them then I let on, for I find it always best to feign ignorance and gain more information before passing true judgement. The mare was lucky that her filly foal was youthful, for if the mistake had been made by any other, I would not be holding my judgement so easily.

Hellena</style>
May the stars tuck you in at night,
May the Moon watch over you, always.
</style>

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
Teeroo.
You must play your companion according to the companion aging rules. You must edit your post for fairness to all other people waiting for their companions to age.

Catalina Posts: N/A
Unregistered

C a t a l i n a

Your going your own way
Walking with your own sway

"Catalina, what are you doing!” The voice peeled through the languid mist, and a warning nip caused the young dreamer to jolt with surprise. The alarm strangling Kanti’s normally gentle, warm tone caused Cat to swing around in an instant, her bright blue eyes wide and clouding with confusion. It was the child’s first true dabbling experience through herd territories- she was unfamiliar with set boundaries and the like, and the next few moments would undoubtedly bring about a turn of important lessons. Listening intently to the grave concern spilling from her sensible mother’s frowning lips, the filly’s ears flicked warily and she hesitated, trapped in wistful remorse before responding.

Oh Mother... I...” She began to explain, mortified that her adventure had wronged the good intentions already in plan. She lowered her face grimly, and even Kyan’s small hunched posture seemed cross, propped beside his upset bonded. Cat sighed before meeting her Mother’s waiting, questioning stare. Fittingly, the mist gathered about her ankles, thickening and climbing hungrily up the flinching length of each slender limb. The filly didn’t seem to notice though; her obedient attention was entirely focused towards Kanti. “It was silly to think...” She began again humbly, her voice slipping guiltily across her immature tongue, but the moment of loitering was interrupted by the sudden approach of a stranger.

"What are you doing here?" The horned mare asked them; simply. Cat turned, her expression folding into nervous indecision. She did not look to her Mother to salvage the unfortunate situation, nor did her expanding gaze plead clemency- her transgression was clear, and she had crossed the threshold between right and wrong. Kanti had taught her daughter well the art of good manners, and drawing now subconsciously on those ingrained skills, she stepped forward, small cupped ears reclining to lay loosely across the lazy tumble of mane behind her poll- an act of natural submission. She lowered her head passively and began to speak with eloquence beyond the few months of her age, though with no want to impress.

I am Cat, and I strayed too far from home. It was silly and I understand the error of my ways now. I am very sorry, I will not trespass again.” The filly nodded, stiffening her lips sternly, regretting fully her foolishness. “This is my Mother- and Kyan” Cat glanced towards Kanti, a loving smile softening the formality which had hardened her feminine, pretty face; then before returning her eyes to their company, she skimmed over the small tree kangaroo thoughtfully. Without delay she addressed the stranger’s question, tilting her face to the left so as not to present as self-important. Considering it wise, she did not fluff her explanation with excess garble. “I was looking for the edge of the world; to find Aaron.” Her eyes did not sway. “Mother said he lives there and I was wondering if he might want to come out to play...” She smiled meekly, though it was fleeting and as a second thought, hoping it might be of some benefit, she hastily added, “I have known him since I was a little girl...

"Thinking Speaking Acting"

i wake up in the darkest night
watch you breath in shadow light

Note: ...