the Rift

[PRIVATE] [COMPLETE] !! Every Night [Quilyan]

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
resplendence
and i'll find strength in pain and i will change my ways
Res shuffled back and forth. Her eyes peering uncertainly at the ice rocks above the opening. How long had she been running? She didn't know. She just knew she was exhausted. Perhaps it would be a good place to stay - or so she'd thought. Unfortunately, after taking a few steps in the ice had collapsed at the front, barricading her into this cave. Every single part of her body freezing. No warmth offered, minus the minuscule amount of sun that was dancing in depending upon just how the light bounced off of the ice. The warmth melting a nice pool in the back of the cave where some reminents of grass was growing.

Weakly, Res curled up in an area the sun hit occasionally and wrapped her tail and banner around her body. Perhaps she would die today. That would save her from all these troubles. She wouldn't have to deal with the numbing pain of knowing she had lost her mate and two children. And she wouldn't have to deal with knowing she was completely alone. Perhaps the freezing cold would serve to numb her further. Acting to freeze every part of her and preserve her so if anyone found her they wouldn't be appalled by her decomposing corpse. Perhaps she would still be pretty in her death. That would be a gift from above. She could just wisp away into the wind, allowing her soul to fly.

With every inch of her body she could feel the cold stinging and numbing. All of her muscles shivering as she closed her eyes. A tune, one from her mother, escaped her lips. Notes twisting uncertainly in the air as her shivering deterred them from their original pitch. Perhaps she would die, singing a lullaby...

295 words
Credits
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Quilyan Posts: 206
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zarina :: Pygmy Marmoset :: Quantum Leap ChaoticMelodies

There is something behind the throne
Quilyan
greater than the king himself.
He shuffles silently through the snow, the gold splotches on his pelt obscured by a layer of frost. Zarina huddles in a blanket of mane at the base of his neck, as usual, and remains unfrozen only by periodic movement. The rest of his mane has managed to sprout several small icicles. They break against each other as he sways only to appear again and again in the driving sleet. He does not seem to notice the wet, or the wind, or the gods-cursed chill of the winter storm, but Zarina does, and her thoughts quickly turn dark as the progress through the northlands. If she knew words, she would likely be spewing every expletive she could get her little hands on, but as she did not, vivid mental imagery has to do. He cares little, and though she knows it is only the depression making him act so ornery, it is getting very old.

A dark silhouette appears against the wall of white through which they traipse, and she chatters angrily from her curled position. There, she seems to insist. GO. THERE. He obeys purely for her benefit. If he were lost to the storms, he would care very little. After all, what purpose does he have in the world without Resplendence? He asks himself daily how such a small, fearful mare has captured his attention so avidly when he was once the whore of the Th'orquian capital. Well, wouldn't they just laugh to see him now, heartbroken over one scrawny, captivating mare? He is not laughing; in fact, it is all he can do to keep from crying. Perhaps he would be, if the tears would not freeze on his face as they fell. Perhaps they have already frozen there. Honestly, he probably would not notice.

As he passes into the cavern, the wind dies as though someone has flipped a switch. He walks until his nose bumps an icy wall - the cold of that seems to wake him up a bit! - and then halts, lifts his cranium, and looks around. It is an icy wonderland, to be sure, riddled with an ancient beauty that is at once entrancing and terrifying. Outside his hideaway, he sees only a wall of white; he quickly decides to simply continue in the caves. It is not any colder here than it is out there, and the lack of wind makes it almost pleasant in comparison.

He wanders aimlessly for a while through the caverns. He cannot seem to remember how long he has been in their depths. Is it day, or night? Has the storm passed? He doesn't know, but he continues on. From somewhere around a corner, he thinks he hears a voice. He follows it dejectedly, barely bothering to listen to the notes. At first, he thinks he is imagining it, it is so faint, but as he walks, it grows louder. It begins to sound like her, but he is sure that the universe is simply playing tricks on him. Is this what I get for being so awful at home? he wonders ruefully. A death hearing her voice in my head? But he is nowhere near dying.

Still, there is no hope within him anymore.

Eventually, he comes upon a tunnel that has caved in. The singing is louder here, and he spots a small hole in the ice up top. Can he see through it if he stretches his nape? No, not quite. Zarina, however, can, and she scampers up his neck, complaining all the while of the cold. When she reaches the top, she freezes, and in the split second between when she sees the contents of the room and when it arrives in his mind, he dares to hope again.

And then, there she is.

"RESPLENDENCE!" he calls, his vocals a mad roar, and then he wheels and begins to kick.

[W/C | ---]
Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.

RayoDeSoleil | VenomXBaby | NewdyStock | BurtN | SimplyBackgrounds
Please tag Quilyan in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to plot with Quilyan? Visit his plot page here!

Resplendence
we'll raise ourselves up, thanks for nothing at all, so up off the ground
The cold air was beginning to numb all of her senses. Lashes covered in bits of scraped ice and creating an aura of the innocence she had. White lashes fluttering ever slightly as the ice chips began to weigh down on the weak lashes until they slid down her face and lay in a pool along her cheek bone. It was getting colder. Much colder. She didn't know if it was from the lack of movement or if the world was just hating her. Everything was so tiring. The world slowing down. She just wanted to sleep.

But, the second that thought crossed her mind and her humming of the tune began to dim the sound of something scampering along ice caused her ears to raise. What was that? Was it help? Or was it her going crazy? She was probably just going crazy. The sound of the ice boulders being hit had to be the wind. There was no other explanation. No one was going to find her in this hole deep in the cavern. She was alone. And she would die alone. That was the way it would be.

A tiny snort escaped her as she coughed, the cold air seizing her lungs for a little bit as she curled up even more underneath her own mane and tail which was acting as a blanket. "RESPLENDENCE!" Her name. Yelled in a familiar voice. She shifted, the singing stopping completely as she peered up from the tiny holes in her forelock. She was imagining things. She was trying to tell herself she wouldn't be alone if she died. She was trying to make herself feel better. That's all it was. Nothing more, nothing less.

287 words
aww the poor babies - time for drama with Zarina xD
When I'm ready to fall
With love

Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE

Quilyan
It is amazing the change that a single image can instigate.

His heels are flying through the air before Zarina can even react; the little marmoset squeaks in outraged indignation before tumbling unceremoniously into the little cave. She grumbles, pulling herself to her feet, shaking the ice and dust and who-knows-what-else from her fur, then studies the mare curled into a ball before her. It looks odd on a horse, and Zarina is sorely tempted to tell her she's doing it wrong. Horses sleep on their feet for a reason, after all, and the marmoset is convinced that it is because they simply are not flexible enough. The ground shakes beneath her; the walls shake above her. Rubble begins to fly, hard and fast, and she scurries over to the one-eared mare, partly to escape the rain fo debris, and partly to attempt to offer some comfort to her bonded's beloved.

She knows of Resplendence's fear, for she has felt it through the bond, and though she does not truly understand the depth of it, she knows better than to scurry onto the mare. Instead, she approaches the fae's cranium, chittering nervously, for should the creature lunge to its feet, all it would take is one good stomp, and Zarina would be done for. She is attempting, feebly, to calm and reassure the brindled femme, though she doesn't really know how to do it.

The wall is beginning to give now. He can feel it breaking beneath his hooves. No longer is he the desolate, depressed brute that had entered the caverns; no, he is reborn as himself once more, a strong, determined steed off to save his princess from certain death. He ignores the pains in his jarred wing, ignores the ache beginning to form in his pistons as they hammer the wall mercilessly, until finally in a great burst of snow and rock and dust, it gives way under his hooves. He lands from the last kicks, whirls, and freezes, his violet gaze glued to hers, at once blinded by her beauty and unable to tear his eyes away. "I can die now, for I will die happy," he says, his vocals dazed.

Instinct pulls his wings tighter to his bodice as he steps over the remains of the wall, slowly making his way closer to her, for he has found her. At last, he has found her! Thank the gods! his mind shouts as he closes the gap between them in only a few long strides, tosses his cranium over her nape gently, buries his nose in her tangled banner and inhales her sweet, sweet scent. He has dreamed of this moment, hoped for this moment, and as soon as he lost all hope, here it is. He says one more coherent thing - "My lady." - and then it is only her name that passes his lips in a hushed whisper repeated a hundred times over, as though saying it enough will hold her in his embrace forever.

[W/C | ---]
Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Resplendence
Res's one ear pricked as ice rocks actually began to tumble down from the ceiling and in toward the center of her cave from the wall that had been created. And then, as she opens her eyes the sight of a living animal tumbling from the hole at the top of the wall startles her. Resplendence jolts to her feet, nearly tripping over her long tresses in the process. What was this creature?! And why on earth was it scurrying toward her. Instinctly she started to back away. But, as soon as she slammed her haunches into the wall she stopped and eyed the tiny creature. Lowering her head slightly before it scurried toward her face and stopped, chittering nervously as it looked up to her. Curiously, Res gave a tiny puff of air toward the creature, watching as all the fur blew back and then stood in it's normal spot. The ground, walls, ceiling all shaking. Instinctively, she closed her eyes and then began to sway from side to side, allowing the ground to choose her tempo. Left. Right. Left. Right. It would all be okay. It had to all be okay. Her eyes opened again and she gently nudged the tiny creature before her. Eyes focusing with care and panic as she breathes into it's stomach, ear twitching uncertainly.

And then the wall broke. Snow, rock, dust, everything came bursting in as she hears the sound of hooves landing and spinning against the icy floor. The pegasus freezing as he stars at her, golden orbs meeting violet ones. "I can die now, for I will die happy," he says and she tilts her head. "Wh-what?" she chokes out, voice harsh from the cold and lack of real conversation. She had been running and humming to herself for so long that she hadn't dare speak to another equine. She didn't want to come off as strange. She didn't want to come off as someone who deserved sympathy. She just wanted to feel safe. That was all, really.

The pegasus pulled his wings closer to his body and starts toward her, closing the distance in two strides. "My lady," he says as he swings his head over her nape and buries his maw in her tangled tresses. And, even though she responds with a quiet, "My knight" she still weasles her way out of the comforting hold and bolts a few strides away, hearing her name repeated a few time in a hushed whisper. Tears fill up in her eyes, and as she shivers from the cold and eyes the stag she has long since missed. And then, she does something she probably wouldn't have done had it been anyone else coming to rescue her with her fear of anything moving - she races back toward him and buries her head in his chest, tears rolling down her cheeks as he continues to bury his maw in her tresses and repeat her name a hundred times over. "Oh Quil! You're alive!" she chokes out. She no longer feels the cold. She no longer cares about the world around them. Another avalanche could lock them in there and she would yet to budge.

The reasoning? It's quite simple really.

She realized she wasn't alone...

557 words
SO CUTE LIKE URMAGAWD
Credits
When I'm ready to fall
With love

Quilyan
When she squirms out of his hold, he finds that he does not care, for she stands before him, alive and well, and that, for now, is enough. Still, when she gives in to her shuddering desire and runs to him, burying her face in his chest, he feels as though his heart might burst with joy, for never has she granted him such a grand display of emotion. He had spoken truly before: if he died in this moment, he would die a happy stallion, for who could wish a better death than one in their lover's embrace? But he is not dead. He is alive.

She is alive.

"Of course I'm alive, my lady," he assures her. "I'm alive and I have found you again." Perhaps he could have said that he was well, but it would be a lie. Though adrenaline has momentarily burned the disease and fever from his blood, it will surely take her only a few moments to realize that he iss too hot, that his eyes are too bright and his breathing too fast, that he stinks of the rot that accompanies an unkept wound. None of it matters to him, of course, but had he stopped to think, he would realize that she was sure to scold him for such carelessness. But what does it matter? He has found her!

The pygmy marmoset has been forgotten, or so it seems, as she takes a moment to climb easily up the deposed prince's hind leg until she could reach his tail, which she rapidly scurried up until she was balanced easily on his hindquarters. From there, it was easy to scurry along his spine and make herself scarce in her nest of mane. For the time being, he presence was unnecessary, and though a tinge of jealousy colored her thoughts, it was mixed with relief and affection for her bonded and his beloved.

"I looked for you, Resplendence. I've spent weeks looking all over for you, and just when I gave up hope -" he halted suddenly, a choking sort of catch in his voice as he once more wrapped his nape around hers, drinking in her scent, her touch, all of her. "Gods, I'm so glad I found you."

[W/C | ---]
Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.

Resplendence
She buried her face in his chest. How long had it been since she'd even willingly touched another living breathing animal and not jumped away? Too long. The contact was a strange feeling. But, it was comforting all the same. Her eyes closed, listening to the beating of his heart as she allowed her cold body to be warmed up through his. His chest vibrating against her as he spoke, "Of course I'm alive, my lady, I'm alive and I have found you again."

A tiny smile curled the edges of her lips upwards as she shuffled a little closer. His warmth chasing her chill away. But, there was something wrong with how quickly she was being warmed up. One wasn't supposed to be this hot. And the sound of his heart. It was beating too fast. It couldn't have been from kicking down the wall. His body would have slowed down by now. She took in his scent and that's when her eyes shot open. She backed away for a second, the smell of rot invading her nares. "Quilyan." she spoke, her voice grabbing a little bit of a harsher edge. Golden orbs met his and they were brighter than usual. Or, at least what she could remember. Res's gaze trailed down across his body and to the one wing that couldn't quite snap as close to his frame as the other. Eyes widening she stumbled over her words for a second before standing up a little taller and opening her mouth to scold him. "Quilyan!" she repeated before continuing on with her scolding, "What is this?!" she demanded, her muzzle motioning toward his wounded wing. "Why did you not see a healer!?"

Panic settled into her tone rather quickly, she was shuffling her feet in both annoyance and stress. Emotions were flooding. Emotions she hadn't felt since... since she had watched her babies die and seen Ciro bleeding out on the ground. The blood spread across her eyes as she held back the tears. She would not cry. She would not cry! It was that simple. But, really, it wasn't. Images kept flashing. And the images changes continuously. Slowly Ciro morphed into Quil. Wings added first, then colour changes. And then, it was Quil bleeding out from his wing injury. Rapidly she shook her head and stumbled back a few steps. "You could have died!" her voice raising in volume, panic and pain settling in on her voice. The tears pooling over their dams and flooding down her cheeks. "You need to see a healer, Quil!" she added, her voice starting to choke up because of the emotion. She didn't want to be right net to him while she was having a complete emotional breakdown. She didn't want to anger him and have him retaliate. But. She couldn't just let this pass. "You can't die. You can't!" she pleaded before almost collapsing as she stepped on her own tail, nearly tripping herself. "I can't lose someone else I care for. I just can't." words along those lines continued to stumble from her mouth between blubbering as she took in a deep breath in an attempt to calm herself.

Her eyes locked on the little creature that had tumbled into the cave and chirped around her. She would focus on that. So that she did. The tiny creature scurrying up Quil's back and settling in it's little nest along his withers. That was something Ciro didn't have. And it was cute. Concentrate on that. And, when she finally managed to pull most of herself back together she realized the gravity of what she had just choked out of lungs. Her breath trembled before she burrowed her face back into his chest. She needed him to ignore the fact she had just told him she cared. It didn't matter that he, really, was all she had left in this world. She couldn't betray Ciro like that. It would go against everything.

Closing her eyes to stem the tears she felt his chest rumbling again, "I looked for you, Resplendence. I've spent weeks looking all over for you, and just when I gave up hope -" the vibrations halting suddenly as he choked on his own emotions. And then, he was wrapping himself around her in an embrace. Hugging her tightly and keeping her safe. But keeping her safe wouldn't heal him. "Gods, I'm so glad I found you." She sniffled once, taking in a short breath as she stayed there. "It's no excuse. You could have gone and gotten yourself healed. But no. You trekked on like an idiot." she muttered, stiffling a sob she allowed her cracked voice to speak one more time, "I'm still glad you found me, though. And that you're still alive at the moment."

She didn't know what she'd do without him...

833 words
urmagawd the feelssss
Credits
When I'm ready to fall
With love

Quilyan
There was a moment of bliss, and then she yanked away. His maw displays a mixture of shock and disappointment, for he had been quite pleased to simply hold her until the end of time, but it would seem that she had different thoughts. She scolds him, and his auds flick back, not in anger but in shame. He seems almost to shrink before her anger, though in truth he finds her fury quite amusing. She is about as fierce as pudding, after all. Still, he lowers he head in defeat, and is about to respond when he notices that she is not quite done. Now she is yelling, her voice flooded with pain and panic and anger all at once, and he lifts an eyebrow at this second uncharacteristic display of emotion. Fear he has come to expect from her, but anger? Affection? No, these were unexpected, though they are not unwelcome.

And then she begins to cry again, and he frowns, for he wants only to make her smile. "I am -" he begins, but she still is not finished. She seems almost afraid, but her love - dare he call it that? - wins out, and she explains further. "...someone else I care for..." She falls silent, lip quivering, gaze locked on his bonded. The prince stares at her, something akin to awe on his face, and then he grins, closes the distance between them in two great strides, and pulls her again against his chest. She cares for him! She said so! Ah, what a sweet reunion this is! A laugh bubbles forth from his lips, breathless and gleeful and surprised all at once as she sniffles into his chest. Once, he might have cared that her tears stained his golden pelt, but now he couldn't care less.

She calls him an idiot, and he cannot help another laugh. It really is not funny, as she stands sobbing before him, but he cannot get the words out of his head. She cares. Will it scare her off to tell her he cares for her, too? He is not sure. He knows that her sorrow is fresh, her wounds as yet unhealed, but he intends to change all that. One step at a time. "I am also glad that I am alive at the moment," he replies, keeping the amusement from his vocals with some difficulty. "And to ensure that I remain alive for you, my lady, I will seek out a healer immediately. In fact, I believe I know just the one, though I am not sure that you should wish to accompany me. He resides in the Foothills now." He paused, then squeezed her against him in something akin to a hug. "I care for you, too, Resplendence. I swore it once and I will again: I will protect you."

[W/C | ---]
Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.

Resplendence
Res backed away, watching as his ears flicked backwards in shame. It seemed as she attempted to make herself taller he was shrinking in shame. Couldn't he see what he was putting her through? He should have healed himself! She was slowly beginning to shed the barrier she had kept up to shield her from the world. She had no reasoning as to why she was accomplishing such a feat. But, she was doing it. He raised an eyebrow at her outburst of emotion. But he couldn't see those images. He couldn't see what was dancing around in her head. It was all too much. Tears streamed down her face and between the blurred images she could make out the shape of a frown, his voice starting only to be cut off as she struggles through the next words. Concentrate on something else, anything else. And she did. The little creature sufficing her needs to drop the images of death.

Her eyes glancing up in time to meet his awed look and the grin pulling up onto his face. He closes the distance she had tried to keep too quickly and she is pulled up against his chest once more. A laugh bubbling from his chest as she buries her face again. She continues to chastise him. He had troubled her so. And she would continued to be troubled until she knew he had reached a healer. He spoke about being glad to be alive. And she managed a small smile, though a weak one. And then, he said he would continue to stay alive. That he would start to seek the healer right now. That he even knew one. This was good news. But, where he resided caused a bit more stress to bubble through her veins. The Foothills. With the people who had caused the damage to Quil. With the people that had rid her of a home. She was suddenly feeling sick. But he needed the healer. She wouldn't fight that.

Gently, she lifted her head up, resting it on his shoulder, nipping at his mane as she closed her eyes and took in a few short breaths as he squeezed her tighter for a few seconds. But of course, he couldn't have ignored her slip-up. He cared too. He had to say it. And she felt horrible, for saying something but not knowing if she was ready to move on. She gently bobbed her head for a second. "Well, you must be alive to accomplish that," she whispered before swallowing once. "I will go with you, I need to make sure you get there okay," she insisted. Her mind reeling a little bit. She also didn't want to be alone. "But... I can't say I'll go any farther than the border." her voice breaking a little. Painful images of battle filling her brain once more.

Why? Why couldn't the world be peaceful?

492 words
n'awww our babiesss
Credits
When I'm ready to fall
With love

Quilyan
The Foothills was perhaps not where he had lost her, but it was how he had lost her, and having no desire to do so again, he wishes that he could place her somewhere safe until the healing is done. The battle plays over again in his mind, and he closes his violet orbs briefly, a shudder coursing through him. He had been a prince, not a soldier, and the closest he had come to combat was watching the yearly melee held in his honor. He had been a fool to think that he would succeed in battle, succumbing to most likely a foolish beginner's mistake. Still, he had needed to protect her, and he feels the better for having done it, despite her irritation.

He sighs, shaking his head at the dramatics of women, for though he has come far in understanding that mares are not to be trodden upon, some of his notions about their behavior stick in his mind. Perhaps the fact that Resplendence is so... mild adds to her draw, for she reminds him of home. He can protect her and take care of her without her complaining that she can do it herself, and this is a trait that he has come to value greatly. Even with this, though, she still has a bite. This, too, draws him to her, though he has not seen it before and cannot explain why he likes it. Perhaps it simply reminds him that she cares, though she seems loathe to admit it. He understands. Perhaps if he had had a lover back home, he would not be so quick to love her. But he had had only family, and they were gone now.

He sighs. "You may come, my lady," he concedes, a defeat masked in allowance. "But I would very much prefer that you not come too close. I believe that Apollo will grant me safe passage, but I cannot defend you as I am now." He frowns, very much disliking the feeling of vulnerability. He should be strong, a knight in shining armor, as it were, not cowering before his beloved and being shooed along to the doctor. Why, he is a prince! Or he was, once, but he remembers suddenly that Resplendence does not know of his past. Should she? Would she care to? That would be a story for another day, he supposed.

With a small smile, he gestures to the archway that is their exit. "Shall we?"

[W/C | ---]
Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.

Resplendence
He shuddered. He must be thinking of the same things she was. The sight of the battle. The battle she had run from as he had said. The stag also seemed to be mulling over other topics. But she didn't want to wonder what they were. She was just glad that someone was there, finally, that she knew didn't plan on leaving her any time soon.

A sigh escaped his maw as he spoke. "You may come, my lady, but I would very much prefer that you not come too close. I believe that Apollo will grant me safe passage, but I cannot defend you as I am now," He warns her. And she can understand. A gentle bob of her head as she glances up at him, catching the frown upon his face. She shudders a little as a chill rushes down her spine before bumping her muzzle to his cheek for a second and pulling away. "I know. I don't wish to get to close as it is. I've seen what they can do. I know my refugee is gone," she whispers, sadly tilting her head to the side.

A tiny smile pulls at the corners of his mouth, though she cannot tell if it's forced or not. Gesturing toward the exit he questions if they should leave. With a tiny bob of her head she starts out of the archway, flicking her ear in an attempt to hear everything around her. It was dulled, the echo of the footsteps creating a continuous noise when it wasn't one. Her hearing neglected to help her too much, but she would live. Following the faint outline of hooves she managed to appear outside of the cave before looking back toward Quil. "We shall. And you will be healed. And then we can decide where to go from there, my Knight." she said with a certainty only someone grasping onto the last strands of hope could achieve.

It would happen. It would work. She wouldn't lose him too.

343 words
New thread for travel! You can start it since I think this one is done. <3
Credits
When I'm ready to fall
With love