the Rift

[OPEN] can't freeze a heart this warm

Daltoff Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Daltoff</style>

[ quite obviously the poor guy's doppleganger :P ]

The world's wind hauled an even gust across the ice and chips picked up across the surface, dancing a frisky tango as the sun above them glittered upon them like flint sparks. The sky was white and the mid-day atmosphere shivered with bitter cold. The crisps of winter found my legs blocking their path and slid into my feather. Snow formed in terribly frigid clumps on my back and my coat had grown so dense that only the outer wisps of hair held the burden of carrying the gathering pelt of downpour. As long as I had a beating heart, I would be strong enough to carry myself into a warmer wonderland.

Cloven hooves sank into the snow, and muscles coiled to pull them up and out. I had to keep managing the pace if I were to find a place where the winter wasn't so bleak. I could sense that this was the only glimpse of sunlight the terrain would be blessed before winter blew in, full strain. I could imagine myself lost in a transformation of wicked weather, the blizzard winds and debris clotting out my vision. I'd be stranded with my last eye mangled, blinded until the last ray of winter sky touched me.

Since my eye woke to the jolt of the world, I felt as if I'd stumbled out of a blast of dream so thick that it claimed a couple years of me. I was unable to remember what happened yesterday, or who named me, exactly. In fact, not only could I not remember who named me, but I forgot who my parents were. Did I even have parents? The question rattled my mind and left an ache that bruised me. It hurt. I was lost, and truly lost by that mean. I didn't even know where my parents were. Not only that, but I couldn't tell if I could recall myself!

But then, through a stimulating translation, I was Daltoff, I'd come from the land Aivoleh and I'd survived the autumn comet-fall. That was it. I'd blacked out as one of the larger sky-rocks impacted planet Neirool and ended us. And I was suddenly here, as if weeks, no years, had passed by without ever elapsing.

The air was still the same in smell and in taste. I dropped my muzzle into the snow and licked the top-cap, realizing that it tasted like it should. I lifted my head, red eye rolling to the bleachy atmosphere that blinded me and soothed me all at once.

And I realized in that moment, I was in Heaven.

Credit