the Rift

[OPEN] Dead Memories

Voodoo Posts: 231
Outcast atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: Eight :: Birdsong HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Ouija :: Arctic Fox :: None Nevada

Frostball bit eagerly at my naturally thin body, the thick, wooly like coat that I had adapted from home doing close to nothing in the outskirts of my home land. Here was supposedly where mates and mistakes alike came to find their way to parenthood.. hopefully I wouldn't see any funny business. Adults and their, horny ways. The tree tops that usually covered the soft earth with cool shade now were naked, stripped of their leaves. Chunks of bark had been peeled off, possibly from forest lurking animals that were starving, finding nothing else to eat besides the sour tasting skin of the trees.

I stood between two thin trees of what species I had no idea. They were tall and thin, the bark that remained on each was white with light brown rings of awkward widths stretching around the base. I imagined that the leaves were light green and yellow in the prime of Birdsong. It felt like a welcoming color for the gorgeous land. Crimson eyes stared at absolutely nothing, set just above the now frozen solid lake. I shivered in near silence, the only sound was the random chattering of my teeth. Clouds rolled from my much hotter throat, through my nostrils to expel into the very, very cold air.

A cold breeze rolled through the nearly bare area, striking the very core of my lithe body. Each muscle twitched with irregular spasms, attempting my heat my body so that I wouldn't fall, losing all feeling of my body itself. The blood running through my body felt as if it too itself could freeze at any minute. This was all a frozen fucking nightmare. I had just spent a day traveling back toward home, back to the Basin where I knew my narrow, some what warm cave would be waiting for me. Or, so I thought was on my way home. Everything looked exactly the same right now; mounds of snow here and there; mud where it had been the best grazing.

Just the day before that, I had spent my day chasing a dumb Pegasus mare from the boiling pits of the Heart of our land, finding that she was some what entertaining.. only because our brains were both haywire and bouncing back and forth from subject to subject, and stumbling upon a dark cave where we found a jewel. The cave was more or less a black pit that lead to our death in the side of a hill. The dank air was still fresh in my memory, it had almost made me gag.

Finally the mare and I departed, but she did seem rather interested in me. I had pondered on why she had such a keen interest in keeping in touch for the past two days. What an odd female. The snap of a branch brought my brain back to reality, the swift action catching my attention. The thick branch toppled from the top of one of the white and brown trees a few feet away, hitting the frozen ground with another crack. My startled body lurched forward at the sound, but each muscle was so sore from the lack of blood flow that I stopped, finding that I had moved only a few inches. Dark red eyes wandered toward the tree tops that the subject had fallen from. Higher in the air, everything was literally frozen solid. The tree branches looked like they were incased in class due to the nature of Frostfall. The intensity of the seasons sure was a bitch around here.

walking "talking" voices
[Image: f2vjpl.png]

EVERYTHING YOU'RE RUNNING AWAY FROM
IS IN YOUR HEAD
[Image: 5389e9aca8b63]
Please tag him in every post!

Arathea Posts: 56
Hidden Account atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Other :: 11/17 hh :: 12 HP: 56.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Raven

It was such a strange place. It had looked like a forest, just like many others, except for that strange feeling that had rolled over her when she entered. Despite the tension the cold caused to her muscles, she felt calm and relaxed while she walked amongst the trees to have a closer look at the place. Winter was no friend to this wolf, but she had dared to move north in search for the Edge again. Maybe she was near, but this place had caught her attention.

It seemed very empty and still; no one else being around in this part. The smell of horse were heavy, though. But it felt heavy wherever she went in this land. A frozen branch that fell from a tree nearby had her stop and perk her ears, but then another movement further ahead had her twitch and freeze in the middle of an ongoing step.

Moving her ears slowly and stretching her head a bit to the side in a try to look around some trees in front of her, Arathea noticed a young horse looking as startled from the cracking sound as she had been. She swept her tail back and forth and carefully moved around the trees to come into view a few yards away from him.

"Dangerous to be in a forest where the branches are trying to hit you in the head." She said cheerfully with a soft, short laugh and sat down on her haunches on a safe distance. As most of the other horses she had met, this one may attack her on sight. Having a distance gave her time to run out of the way, should that be the case.

The bitter air all smelled of cold, frozen ground, except for a certain scent. One that made the hair stand up on edge. It couldn't be. A... It's coming to get you now, boy! They cackled at my sudden heightened fear. Red eyes flicked around in a paranoid state, finally landing upon a canine not too far away. She stayed her distance, watching me with honey gold eyes.

"Dangerous to be in a forest where the branches are trying to hit you in the head." Her voice was soft and warm, a giggle following her response to my lurch away from the snapping branch. A fire danced in my chest, the image of the canine before me sending both anger and fear to my brain. These are what ended Mother's life, leaving me as a foal to bring myself up. I examined her oddly pieced together body, staying silent. Alert ears rotated in a paranoid act. I knew these things usually traveled in packs.

Her legs were obnoxiously long for her lithe body, and tufts of hair grew in a strange patch on her shoulders. No sounds behind me but the wind, and the only scent I could catch was her own. I eased my muscles a tad bit, still staying alert. "What do you want, wolf?" I did not know her, she could have been one of the murderers that ripped my only family member apart, limb by limb. The image made me cringe, tears wanting to well in my eyes, but I blinked them away out of anger.

It may not have been right to treat a stranger like this, as every stranger that I have met in this frozen land so far was very kind to me. But this.. this was different. This female was not even an equine of any sort. She shared two traits with our different species, long legs that did not fit her body, and strange hair that covered her neck and shoulders. My shoulder quivered at the urge to paw at the ground. I stayed put, motionless.

walking "talking" the voices

IS IN YOUR HEAD

Raven

Young. Angry, frightened and... Something more. Arathea moved back a few steps before sitting down again, lowering her head in a relaxed manner and peered over towards the colt. The young ones were more unpredictable with their actions than the adults, and she had no intentions to scare this one. "This one just wanted some company and was curious who else was here. It was not intentional to frighten the young horse."

The long-haired tailed swept back and forth across the ground and she offered him a gentle smile with ears perked. He had very interesting colours and now when she looked him over, she also noticed the red horn on his forehead. A glimmer of hope hinted in her eyes and her smile grew.

"Young horse is a unicorn! Does it know King Unicorn? Mauja?" She got up on all four in the excitement, but then quickly sat down before she made a sudden move that would worry the colt again. "Oh... How rude to just rush ahead. This one is Arathea and you do not need to worry. Her kin do not hunt horses."

Her tail wagged faster now and she looked intently at him, expression happy and hopeful. She knew it was dangerous to expect too much, but King Unicorn had had many of his kind around him and maybe this one was one of his. Although, the colt did not have any scent around him that reminded her of the Edge. But maybe it was the distance between them and the cold air that did it. Maybe they are not even around...

One of her ears threatened to drop down, but she kept the kind expression up while patiently waiting for the colt to reply in any way. Part of her was also still prepared to leap out of the way, should he decide she was too dangerous to have around.

The canine backed up, sitting a few feet further away than she had been a moment ago. My defined muscles unclenched temporarily, making me relax.. a little. She started speaking again, referring to something as "this one," which I quickly pieced together was what she called herself. I stayed silent, watching her carefully. She claimed that she was not out to frighten me, but it was my natural instinct to be afraid. Something that I am not used to seeing is strange, so I cannot easily trust it.

Her long tail began to whip back and forth, creating a tension in my legs that I could not control. They stiffened up, ready to pull me onto my back haunches and strike out if necessary. "Young horse is a unicorn! Does it know King Unicorn? Mauja?" She hopped up onto all fours again, the quickness of it startling me again. My muscles all when haywire, no longer giving me control. My body came up into a small rear, front hooves striking out into the air simultaneously. This creature was far too different.. even though she was being kind.

I quickly landed back onto the freezing ground, tufts of snow jumping into the air with the motion. Even though I felt like it had been minutes in the air, it realistically took only about three seconds for the whole occurrence. Mauja. You know that name. I pondered for a second, eyes glued to the canine. "Yes, I believe I know him." My brain scanned through images of arrivals at the herd meeting, yet none popped up that told me that the face connected with the name.

"Oh... How rude to just rush ahead. This one is Arathea and you do not need to worry. Her kin do not hunt horses." Her kin do not hunt horses The simple ending of the sentence made me feel like a fool, causing me to awkwardly bring my face down from the alert level it stayed at in the air. But she may just be saying that they insisted, pushing more pictures of Mother's gray body, now stained red with her hot blood. My stomach churned and flipped.

"Arathea," I mumbled, noting the name into my brain "how do you know Mauja?" Honestly I did not care, but if she were to say that she had an alliance with some one from my own herd, I guess I could trust her. Some what.

IS IN YOUR HEAD

Raven

As she had thought, the colt reacted to her sudden movement to bounce up on her feet and she was happy about the distance when the hooves flailed in the air. She took a deep breath, let the air out slowly and notably relaxed in a try to show him more that she meant no harm. Poor thing is on edge... But he knew Mauja, maybe and her ears perk forward again, though this time she remained seated and listened calmly to his own question.

"She met him at the border to World's Edge last year. She was allowed to stay by King Unicorn and was later made Warden of the Edge to look after the forest. Mauja asked her for help to hunt food for his owl egg and to watch over it when the Edge got attacked."

She paused for a short moment to let out a low sigh, her head dipping down slightly. "The unicorns lost and we were separated. She came back this summer to look for her King, but she do not know if they are back in the Edge and the cold keeps her away from going too far north." Carefully, she lifted her head again and glanced up at the colt, trying to read his tensed body language. She did not dare to move much at all, since it seemed to make him even more nervous. He was not to blame though; horses and wolves were rarely friends. At least she was not the same kind as the smaller versions of her kin.

Silently the mammal sat across from me, her large, cupped ears rotating forward once more at my reply. She knew Mauja, and personally at that. She spoke of the herd living in the World's Edge, baffling me. I knew no history of my own home, so this was all brand new information. She watched the precious egg of his beloved owl while they were at war. Now the image of the leopard appaloosa snuck into my mind, his best friend, the small snowy owl, perched on his withers. I had seen the Lord walking around very few times at home, he always seemed busy.

She finished speaking, staying put at the comfortable distance. "I'm sorry, Arathea. I was.." I paused, the voices coming up with a million and one insults before I could speak "acting on impulse." I finally finished. Nearly a year and a half of being alone had made me stiff with others in general, but wolves.. this was going to be very difficult to get used to. "We live in the Aurora Basin now, wolf. Er, excuse me, Arathea. I had no idea about the herd's past, but I have been there for three seasons and we've resided in the Basin." I spoke with pride as I explained our region, even though I was still new to some.

My tail swished back and forth continuously, brushing the back of my legs every once in a while and startling me. Snow began to fall from the dark clouded sky once more, heavy, wet flakes that melted as soon as it came in contact with heat. Ears flicked forward, my eyes never leaving the rather large canine. The length of her legs still bothered me, it was so unlike any other wolf I had ever seen. I eyeballed her, not caring if I was being rude or not. The more I looked, the better proportioned she seemed.

IS IN YOUR HEAD

Raven

She pointed her nose towards the sky as soon as she felt the heavy flakes land on her head. They quickly melted down through her thin, soft fur and chilled her skin. She shuddered and huddled up a bit with the tail around her legs. This would probably be the farthest north she would go for as long as the winter lasted. It was already cold enough.

She kept her eyes at the sky while the colt explained the situation and it had her look back to him. "Aurora Basin is unknown rto this one. Three seasons? They must have moved there after the invasion. So they never returned to the Edge..." Her head dropped down a bit and a small sigh escaped her nose. It had been a beautiful forest and a brief home. But if they had moved to another place, maybe she could seek them out there.

Slowly, she got up on all fours and peered towards the young stallion again. Her body was relaxed, calm and her eyes would probably show warmth as well. She took a careful step towards him, still with her head low in submission and respect. There was nothing tense or nervous in her way of moving, just her trying to show that she had no plans of attacking him. Another more or less casual step was taken and she extended her nose in his direction just as horses and other animals would do to greet in a kind manner.

"Young unicorn has been very helpful, even though it is nervous. She can understand why he would feel afraid. But she is not like the smaller kind of wolf that hunt horse. None of her kind is." She said in a soft voice, hoping it would all be said before he were to be all frightened again. If he became frightened again. Should he want her to back of, she would of course do so.

The wolf hybrid spoke again, her strange word choice dragging me into actually listening to what she was saying. My ears cupped forward, listening intently. I would have to ask one of my herd mates what it was like in this "World's Edge," I had heard it was muggy and uncomfortable. But, who knew, maybe that was just rumor. Or perhaps I was mixing two stories together. The snow continued to shower us, now much smaller flakes than began sticking to everything with ease, rather than melting as soon as it reached heat. My gray coat was starting to build up a rather tiny town of snow along my spine.

Once she was done speaking, the hybrid rose once again, though this time she was slow about it, not to make me jump out of my very skin. A few strides brought her somewhat closer, he black nose pushing toward me gingerly. I accepted her close body, but I would not come near touching her, if she was looking for a sweet little nuzzle or something of the sort. She began, calling me "helpful" and "nervous." My ears rotated awkwardly, listening to everything around us once more. She still may have been messing with my already destroyed mind, knowing that young horses normally trust so easily. This was not working.

My face lifted into the air, skull rotating back and forth in order for me to get a good look at my surroundings before letting my guard down with this feminine beast. She reminded me that "her kind" did not hunt horses, the fire deep within my body reminding me to not trust. "Desperate measures can change everything, wolf." The venom in my voice was unintentional, and I quickly bit my lip. My body told me that this mammal was not going to hurt me, and my brain complied, but for some reason an anger still boiled in the depths of my brain that I could not seem to get rid of.

IS IN YOUR HEAD

Raven

He stood his ground without edging away nor nosing on her in return. It was alright, tough, that he accepted her presence and she casually sat down again and noted his attention to her words. But then it changed. He looked around, turned his attention back to her... And then the words came.

The tone of his voice with those words slithered into her chest and twisted painfully. She should not care what the horses thought, but when they were more or less the only beings around and she felt so alone... The reactions she got just made her feel even more alone.

She noticed she had leaned back a bit at his words, as if they had pushed her away. Her ears moved back a bit, then down to the sides and she did her best to hide the sadness on her face. "This one... Should not bother the young stallion anymore. He shall have thanks again for the help." Her voice was low, close to empty but the hurt could be hinted still.

With a bow of her head, Arathea got up on all four again and walked a few steps backwards, before turning and starting to walk away. Half her attention was directed to behind her, should the horse take his opportunity to strike at the beast.

Voodoo
tear me open pour me out,
inside there's things that scream and shout

The canine seemed to retract at my words, her ears rotating back as she did so. I could feel the pang of agony cross through her body due to the thickness of my sentence. She wasn't going to do anything you fool. I could feel them prodding at me to apologize, to try to keep a conversation going with the long legged, shaggy dog, but I just couldn't seem to bring myself to speak again. She was hurt by my words, obviously by the tone of her soft voice. Once she finished her words, I knew that I could not let the wolf walk away knowing that another being hated her so without even knowing her. She had helped Mauja after all, so she must have been trustworthy.

She was already heading away from me with her nose turned the opposite of my own. "Ar-" I paused, remembering her name before I messed it up and looked like a complete idiot. "Arathea, wait." Would I regret telling her this? What if I were to do this simple task for the canine, just for her to be turned down at the final outcome. "I can lead you back to the Basin. Mauja should be there."

Fuck. Double fuck. What if something had happened and the canine had betrayed my family, and possibly that's why she had not heard from the spotted stallion since the herds' departure from their last home. I sucked in a deep breath, cold crystals of ice wanting to form on every wet wall in my body. My tail began flicking again, though this time I wasn't sure if it was out of fear, or anticipation to see if she would decline my proposal.

Text here "Chat here." Voices here

i run but it stays right by my side
Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Raven

Arathea, wait. She stopped and looked at the white ground for a short moment, before turning her head to look at him when he said he could take her to the Basin. Was it just to be nice because she was hurt, or was it something he really felt like doing? Arathea blinked some snow from her eyes and remained silent, eyes glancing at the ground while she was pondering.

"She will follow and promise to not be of trouble. If King Unicorn would not show up, she will leave and not disturb anymore." The snow had covered her in a white blanket, that she shook off and huddled up with a shudder. This winter did not agree with her at all. With a low sigh, she turned around to face the stallion once more and she kept the distance this time.

Thought started to swirl in her head. What if the herd would chase her away for being a carnivore. Not everyone had been happy about Mauja's decision to keep her around. What if he does not recognize me. That would hurt the most. She was not sure why, but she liked the spotted unicorn a lot. It could probably be because he let her stay in his home, even gave her an important title and to help with the owl. The trust had meant a lot to her and it had saddened her when the attack came and she became lost.

She lifted her head slowly and looked at the black one after a few seconds of silence and thinking. "Young stallion lead the way and she will keep a distance. She can even walk slightly in front of him, if he is worry that she will strike when he is not looking." The hurt was still in her voice at the last words. It was not her intention to try and give him any kind of gilt, but sometimes, she just could not keep a smiling face. Not when everyone seemed to think she was out to kill them.

Voodoo
tear me open pour me out,
inside there's things that scream and shout

Snow blanketed the large wolf quickly, sticking to her much thicker fur. She spoke, standing up and shaking the powder off of her body afterword. She really had taken offense to the things that I had said. Great. I gave a nod, happy that she at least agreed with me to go. I would have felt like a complete asshole if she had disagreed. Her body quivered before she stood, turning to face me once more. Ears rotated around casually, still leery about our surroundings, even though my mind was coming to the conclusion that I could trust this canine.

Again she spoke, saying that she would stay her distance for my sake. A sigh rolled out of my gapped open mouth, the cloud seeming to freeze in this weather as well. Really I would like to put her on a leash and make her walk in front of me, that would assure me that she could never touch me. But, I couldn't do that exactly. "You can walk with me, Arathea. I think I can trust you enough." The words almost didn't even escape my voice box, and I regretted saying them as soon as they were out.

They mumbled, waking up out of their frozen slumber once more. What the fuck? was the first thing I hear. Great, it was going to be one of these days. I could feel them all prodding at my brain for information on what they missed within the past few minutes. I turned on my back haunches, facing toward where I figured home was. I would have to go back completely from where I had just come from. Maybe the wolf would know how to get home better than I. This snow really was a mind fuck.

Text here "Chat here." Voices here

i run but it stays right by my side
Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD