the Rift

[OPEN] Bitter Innocence

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi

;; For Sprow and Nonnie, this is also an open thread. Feel free to join. <3
----

As the colder season descended on the Basin, where wet puddles at once lay, patches of rather slippery ice invaded the path of an over curious colt. It was approaching midday as Sacre's skinny legs skidded on the untamed surface and he let out a high pitched whinny in joy as he finally found more solid ground, shooting off at a racing gallop. He was growing fast, as it seemed most foals did, his body getting stronger and the tufts of baby fur slowly giving way to patches of vibrant red. His legs were still long and uncoordinated, but his upper body was surely strengthening and Sacre now found he could run faster and for longer. Each of these new experiences was like another step into this new and exciting world, but for one so young he already knew what he wanted to do with his tender life.

Find Roux's eyes.

If there was one thing Sacre wanted, it was for his twin to see the joyous light of day and the vibrant sights that came with it. To see the strange wild animals and the colour of green grass against the great blue sky. What had he done to deserve to be hampered in such a way? His brother could see in the night, perhaps better than Sacre himself, but for the young dark boy that wasn't enough. He wanted more for his brother and he would find a way one day. Until then, it was his job to protect Roux from danger and he had already been trying to think of ways to do that.

Strength. He needed to be strong, stronger than mother and stronger than father, it was on this trail of thought that lead him to wonder what was outside the Basin. Was there someone or something out there, in the wilderness, that could teach him to be stronger. Father was too busy to teach him and he had not yet met his other siblings. This left a hunger in his heart, a need to go out and travel. He needed to find the elusive ingredient that would make him like the mountains that surrounded his home; impenetrable. He wanted to make a safe place, somewhere he could live with Roux and no one would hurt him. The boys mind was still young, the things he wanted were real, but the means to do it were not there. He wished his legs to grow faster, his body to grow thicker and the horn atop his head to grow longer. He didn't understand his father's hatred of the 'other' species as he called them, he had never met any of them, but he wanted to. He wanted to know if they would harm his brother and if they would, then they would be an enemy of Sacre too. The boy kept his doubts until the day he met one.

For now, he continued his game of skidding over the icy puddles and enjoying the moments of sweet innocent childhood.
Jeff Kubina|flickr

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Rhiannon Posts: 76
Outcast atk: 4.0 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 6 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sparrow
Rhiannon
We Talked, Together Sharpening a Knife
Like Killing Partners for a Life
Hey, We can Hide the Bodies on the Ride Home

It wasn't abnormal for there to be snow in the Basin. As the northernmost provence in Helovia, it was normal for there to be snow and cold winds... But this snow, Rhiannon had discovered, was colder and fell in far more dense of sheets than what she had seen in her few months of life. It was, what Crowley had explained, the season of Frostfall; when nearly all of Helovia was enveloped in winter's frozen chill. Some places would be more effected by others, she had discovered, but in the Basin, it was just another day. Still, despite the recent drop in temperature and the newly fallen snow, it didn't keep the young filly from playing.

Through the snow she frolicked, ebonite hooves kicking up the cold white powder with each twist and turn that her body made. She darted to and fro, charging through steep drifts of snow and hopping like a rabbit through the depth as not to get her lanky legs stuck. Heaven forbid if Crowley stumbled upon his daughter, stuck in the snow...

The thought caused the brindled youth to giggle and toss her head high, the thin layers of her mane flopping to and fro along the crest of her neck. The strands of her mane were growing out, but it would take some time until it was at a satisfactory length... Like Arah's. Rhiannon recalled the ivory beauty with fond affection, for she was kind and gentle, a true friend in the filly's eyes. That made two friends that Rhiannon had now; Arah and Talbot. And Crowley, of course, but he was required to be her friend because he was her father.

Still, back to playing. As the filly danced in the snow, front hooves kicking out at the air before her, the most peculiar sight caught hold of her dual-colored eyes. For a moment Nonnie wasn't sure what she was seeing... But then, as her front hooves landed in a puff of snow, she caught better sight of a foal. A dark colt, tearing through the frozen landscape as if the hounds of Hell were on his heels. Rhiannon paused, then chuckled. No, Talbot was at home.

Still, the colt seemed to show no fear as he approached a thick cap of ice where a puddle would have been previously sitting, frozen due to the crisp weather of Frostfall. Rhiannon stood there, silently with her pretty head tilted, watching with genuine fascination as the ebony colt met with the patch of ice, then slid across the surface with practiced poise. The sight left Rhiannon baffled; how did he do that?

Childish curiosity sparked, Rhiannon ventured forward, her knees snapping upwards to keep herself from being hindered by the snow. "How did you do that?!" The brindled filly called out from a distance, gold and silver eyes staring at the black colt in wonder. "Can you teach me?" As she approached, Rhiannon couldn't help but take in more of the nameless colt before her. His coat was ebony, yes, but the strangest of markings marred his side. A blotch of red, as well as a red ear, and marks around his right eye were the only contrast to his ebonite coat. The filly's tail twitched in happiness; he had a mark around his right eye, just like she did!

"My name is Rhiannon," she exclaimed only after she was certain that the colt had seen her, "But... I suppose you can call me Nonnie. Only my friends can call me that. What... What are you doing, sliding on the ice? How do you not fall down?"

[ooc: Sacre <3333 So cute.]

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi

The little colt jumped to the sound of a new voice, a fillies voice that he had never heard before in his life. Eyes a little wild around the edges, he turned to gaze on the brindled girl who seemed to be enthralled by his moves on the ice. After a moment to pause in shock, Sacre slowly took a few steps towards her, a large boyish grin plastered across his face as for the first time in his life, he had found a friend who was not family. His grin turned into an excited giggle when she asked him to teach her, already fascinated by her eyes that were both gold and white. Like Aramis and Roux. Her body was littered with strange white lines, known as bridling to most, but to Sacre these things were all new. Like the marking on her right eye, she was similar to himself, two weird looking kids born from powerful families. He attempted to walk over to her side, dainty ears of black and crimson curved happily forwards.

"I can try!" He cheered in his boy accents, blue eyes sparkling with excitement as he contemplated the idea of teaching for the first time. It seemed this was to be a day of new things. Though, wasn't teaching for grownups? Sacre wasn't sure what he should say. His tongue suddenly tied. The ebony colt had fallen down the first few times, not that his pride would admit to that, and eventually he'd just got the hang of staying on his feet. What if she did fall over? Or hurt herself?! It would all be his fault and he would have to live with the guilt of hurting the poor filly for the rest of his life.

Sacre would have gone on trailing down the road of imaginary despair if it wasn't for the stripy female who introduced herself as Rhiannon. Or Nonnie, the colt was quite chuffed that he had already made it into her friend books and he turned her name over in his mind, remembering it as the name of his first ever friend and grinning at the thought. "I'm called Sacre! You're my first ever friend, Nonnie. Well, after my brother, but he's my brother so-" he stopped himself from rambling on, turning his head away shyly whilst he marvelled at this new social interaction and flicked his stump of a tail. Spindle like legs bouncing along the thick snow, carefully picking round the icy puddles until they were ready to try sliding again.

"Practise. Father leaves me on my own a lot, so I guess it's a game I've made for myself, but..." he paused to draw in a shaky breath, azure eyes turning back to look at Nonnie with worry. "I wouldn't want you to get hurt" he said quite honestly. Stopping before one of the icy puddles to gaze at it with uncertainty.
Jeff Kubina|flickr

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!