the Rift

[OPEN] Appeal to Reason || Protectors and Others!

Laila Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

There was another call to ring through the mist-laden kingdom of the sea—but this time, Laila recognized the deep, powerful cadence of her Father this time, calling together the Protectors that held the standard high for their herd. His reverberant voice immediately brought a spark of joy within Laila’s breast, melting the chilling annoyance that came with Frostfall. She shook herself, feeling droplets of cold water fly from the ends of her mane and tail, where the fog had condensated. There was no time to waste; Father called for the attention of all the Protectors of the herd, and it was Laila’s inner pride that whispered she should heed the call as well. After all, she was a Protector now, wasn’t she?

….okay, technically she was an Acolyte Protector now, but it boiled down to the same thing, didn’t it?

Giving a toss of her head, Laila cantered briskly for the clearing from which her Father’s voice emanated; as she came closer, the ebony filly noticed the number of warriors who had already heeded her father’s call. A small jitter of butterflies erupted in her stomach as she brought herself to a halt beside her father; she reached up to give the side of his neck a tiny nibble in greeting, doing her very best to hide her nervousness. The idea of being considered in the same mold as these tried-and-tested warriors was just as intimidating as it was exciting; what if Laila made a fool of herself in front of all these veterans? It was a tiny voice in her mind that spoke these things, as the filly wasn’t one for self-conscious tendencies—but it was a thought indeed, and it was there, causing the Acolyte to swallow a tepidatious lump in her throat.

*"For those who are interested, each Acolyte Protector will be paired with an older, more experienced Protector. Each team will patrol their own section of the land, and if they should see anything, I ask that you report it to the appropriate authority figure immediately.*

With wide eyes, Laila looked up at her Father briefly; for a span of seconds, an ache of alarm shot through her stomach. She desperately wished to accompany her Father on these patrols; in addition to him being somewhat more understanding and less potentially abrasive, Laila figured she would be much less mortified if she happened to make a blunder in his presence. However, as her slightly glazed eyes scanned the warriors gathered about for a second time, some of her apprehension eased, and she began to fantasize about running patrols with any one of them; Destrier wouldn’t hand her into the hands of someone incompetent, in any case. Perhaps she…just…needed to suck it up a little and put up a stiff upper lip?

She took a step forward, out of her Father’s shadow; her face broke into a smile as she offered herself to the willing mentors, looking into different sets of eyes that ranged from yellow, gold, red, and blue. “Hello,” she said, her anxious voice booming much louder than might be standard for someone as young as she, “I…I’m looking forward to training with all of you. Should be fun!” She paused, then hastened to add, “A-and enlightening! F-for all of us; I’d very much like to learn how to be a better P-Protector...” The very tips of her ears burned scarlet with her stammering; she hoped they wouldn’t take her jitters as a sign of weakness. She was ready, after all.

It was just kind of scary at the same time.

LAILA
One Day, I Shall Live by the Code of Honor

Messages In This Thread
RE: Appeal to Reason || Protectors and Others! - by Laila - 06-07-2013, 08:46 PM
RE: Appeal to Reason || Protectors and Others! - by Sulwyn - 06-08-2013, 10:09 AM
RE: Appeal to Reason || Protectors and Others! - by Dúchanar - 06-17-2013, 04:02 PM