Kou Posts: 93
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 :: 4
ali

K O U
Softly she comes
Whispers the breeze with her passing
In secret love she is laughing

The only escape from the heat was to travel north where the land stayed frozen all year round. Kou was not a creature of the winter. She much preferred the crispness of the Orangemoon or subtle warmth of Birdsong. She had never cared for the Tallsun and its endless now only reinforced that dislike of it. The pale mare had traveled north, away from her home and away from the oppressive heat that was slowly killing everything. It wasn't her first trip to the frozen lands and it certainly wouldn't be her last before the Tallsun ended.

There was a certain spot that she liked to stand in, tucked away in one of the many caverns in the arch. Here the wind, whenever it decided to become harsh and bitter, wouldn't bother her. She was close enough to the edge to look out at the ocean that was so captivating, yet far enough back to not have to worry about toppling over the edge to the treacherous depths below. Her pale coat blended with the ice that surrounded her, making it nearly impossible to see her unless one was looking for her and noticed the way her white coat wasn't as shiny as the glacial walls.

Kou stood there silently, watching the water and thinking. Thinking about Mauja and Deimos, the creature that could kill with a touch. The creature that the king insisted on touching just to test him. It was as if he'd lost his mind since Psyche had finally disappeared altogether. Like he had a death wish. She thought about how she'd yelled at him in a fit of anger that he would tempt death so blatantly without a second thought. About how she'd run off to find d'Artagnan and warn him about the demon that was Deimos. She hadn't been able to find him, as disappointing as it was. And she thought about leaving Helovia. Despite everyone's best efforts the Sun God's rampage didn't seem like it was ending or would be ending anytime soon and she was tired of it.

With a sigh, Kou shifted her weight so she could rest a hind leg on the tip of her hoof. She hated to desert the Plague and d'Artagnan, but it was beginning to seem as though the only future she had in Helovia was death. She was far too young to die.

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi

The cold swept by the Doctor like a blissful breeze at first... Until it began to set into his bones. It was a long trudge up to the Frozen Arch and d'Artagnan would never have made such an effort if it wasn't for the fact his Nurse had blundered off up here. It was for all different, frivolous, reasons that d'Art decided to follow her but his mind convinced him that it was his duty to know what she was up to and he questioned himself no further. Why question an already made up mind? Or that's what he thought anyway.

The arch came into view and d'Artagnan spotted the familiar pale figure of Kou, who seemed a little down for one usually so... Calm? The Doctor stopped for a moment to consider this, he never really paid much attention to the emotion of others around him. Normally he had a mission, marched off, carried it out and went home. But now he was responsible for Kou and felt a little guilty that he hadn't paid attention to her feelings. Mares were different to stallions, everything was always ten times worse or better to them. That's what it seemed to him and he never delved into the mannerisms of mares. Why would he dabble in such an area, he was a stallion?! Such emotions should not trouble him nor should he go looking for them... But still. This was Kou, his loyal Nurse.

The usual annoyed look took place on his features as he came forward to greet her, "what you doing up here?" The gruff vocals sounded out over the icy landscape. His coat rippled as he shook himself from the new chill in the air. His red, muscular body positioning itself next to her arabian physique. "Its cold." He grumbled to himself mostly. The red stallion always found something he could moan about. The Doctor looked about as he thought of a way to ask her what was wrong, he found this rather more difficult then he first imagined.

(I love her picture ali! :o)

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Aurora Basin Mare
ali

K O U
Softly she comes

Kou watched as the red body of her doctor appeared on the horizon, surprised that he would venture all the way up there after her. Moments later she decided that she was probably thinking too highly of herself. Why would d'Artagnan go after her for anything at all unless someone was wounded and he needed her aid? The mare stayed still as she watched the red stallion, waiting to see if he'd notice her and if he did if he would walk over or if he would ignore her and continue about his hermit-like ways. When he began to walk in her direction she lifted her head and put on a well practiced smile.

The pale mare laughed softly when the doctor asked why she was there before stating that it was cold. "That's exactly why I came up here." She informed him. "It's a temporary break from the heat. We all need it once in a while. Why are you up here, doctor?" By then she was fairly certain that there was no one in need of their services. d'Artagnan was blunt enough to tell her to move her ass because they had work to do.

"If you're cold you could always stand a little closer." She changed the subject rather quickly from their reasons for being in the arch. d'Art had already moved to stand beside her, but to accentuate her point Kou sidled up closer to him, her side brushing against his. "I'll keep you warm, doctor." She teased, gently nudging his neck.

[thanks imi! <3]

"Why are you up here Doctor?"

The question struck him dumb and d'Artagnan floundered around looking for an answer. No one was injured. No one had died. So why was he there? He had followed her on a whim... Or was it more than just a whim. Was he really concerned about where she was? He had followed her without a moments hesitation after all. Mismatched eyes widened in realization that he had no answer to her question apart from because I followed you. He blinked twice, he couldn't say that out loud?! She'd scarper for the hills with all sorts of unruly thoughts about him. She'd think I'm some sort of pervert, following her into a lonely place like this he panicked. The Doctor closed his eyes and was about to regain a little of his composure when she spoke again.

"If you're cold you could always stand a little closer... I'll keep you warm, Doctor"

His body stopped all movement and froze into place. Her touch threatening to break his resolve. d'Artagnan did not understand these feelings, he didn't know what they were. Why he was experiencing them. When Mauja had placed Kou in his care as the Nurse of the Doctor, d'Art had been glad for a student and an extra set of hooves. But what was this? Would Mauja know what to do with these feelings? Was it normal? He leant his sooty nose in to watch hers touch his neck, fully exposed for a slight moment before pulling his head away and looking out over the landscape. His heart still beating at a fast tempo and the touch of their bodies side by side still present. A fragmented reply slowly began to form, "you looked... Sad. So I... I was curious to know why?" He almost flinched at the cracks in his normally deep voice. He laughed nervously as he leaned a little closer, "to say its so cold up here, you really are hot-" d'Art stopped abruptly realizing what he had just said. Did I just... But?! It wasn't meant to come out that way. The speed of his beating heart sped up and d'Artagnan was now resigned to his fate that he was going to die from this peculiar disease. He wasn't cold anymore, but whether that was Kou or his hyperventilating was left to the imagination. The retort that bubbled to the surface now was for himself.

Idiot.

filled with rage

Aurora Basin Mare
ali

K O U
Softly she comes

Kou's head tilted as d'Artagnan said that she had looked sad and he'd wanted to know why. "That's very considerate of you, doctor." She smiled at him before turning her head to look out over the frozen landscape just as d'Artagnan had done. His next comment made the mare giggle like a young filly. When the doctor began to hyperventilate Kou nudged his head his cheek gently. "Calm down." She murmured before shoving her nose under his chin to make him lift his head. "Take a deep breath." She instructed. "Let it out slowly." Kou said once he'd taken the deep breath. She had him repeat the process until he'd finally slowed his breathing to a normal rate. She might not have known much about poisons or healing with magic, but she did know a few things that had been a little useless until lately.

The pale mare stood in silence for a few minutes as she listened to d'Artagnan's breathing to make sure he didn't begin to hyperventilate once more. When she was confident that he would be fine she settled into a relaxed stance once more. "I suppose I am a little sad." She said, continuing the conversation they had started to have just a few minutes before. "It's the heat and everything dying. The forest..." She shook her head and sighed. Kou decided against telling the doctor that she often thought about leaving and, instead, changed the subject. "King Mauja has invited another unicorn to join our ranks. His name is Deimos." Her head turned so she could look at the doctor once more. "His magic allows him to kill with a single touch so please be careful when he's around. Don't be like our king and tempt death by touching him." She frowned then looked out at the landscape again. She was still a little upset about that. If he went and got himself killed then what would they do? All of the Plague's preparation would be for nothing because both of their leaders would be gone.

"I don't hate the darkness. It was in the darkness.. That I was raised."

He was glad of Kou's kind and considerate gestures towards him. If it was any other mare d'Artagnan was pretty sure he could kiss goodbye to his male pride. It's not meant to work like this is it? The relationship between Doctor and Nurse was supposed to be professional. At least d'Art had seen it that way. Then again, the red stag saw most things as 'formal'. A helpful trait slowly turning itself into a vice. His mind focused on her words and slowly his air intake returned back to normal. Leg muscles flexed as he stood a little taller and puffed himself up.

I won't be remembering that in a hurry.

He did most things at a methodical rate. However, d'Artagnan still failed to understand the concept of 'love' fully. Yet his body reacted naturally to it. Such a concept would have to be explained in very simple terms to a stallion like him. The Doctor's attention snapped to his Nurse as she began to speak again. Although his posture was still slightly hunched in embarrassment. This time she answered the second question he had asked. He listened carefully to her words, stifling a laugh as she mentioned the 'stupidity' of their King and this Deimos. It was something d'Artagnan would do which made him realize that he and his King did share some traits. However, the red decided not to mention the similarity as the situation clearly bothered Kou. d'Art made a mental note to track this Deimos down, it was his job after all to look after the herd. Although if you died just by touching bastard d'Artagnan would have a hard time healing him if anything did manage to occur. But that was something to worry over if the time came. The Doctor might not even like the stallion.

Realizing that his Nurse had stopped speaking, he cleared his own voice from the previous events and attempted to comfort the mare. "The forest will grow back in time and the Sun God's wrath will surely dwindle. I believe in our Goddess..." He trailed off. Did he really? d'Artagnan wanted to with all his heart, she had blessed him after all. "Deimos... I wonder if he's immune to poison... I don't need to touch him to kill him." He eyed Kou in amusement trying to lighten the mood. Even he had to admit it was depressing to see her so sad. Mauja wouldn't be happy if he started poisoning their own herd, "our King may need to learn he shouldn't put his nose in fire. Even the Frost Heart would melt" d'Artagnan stated more firmly. He couldn't tell his King what to do, but as his Doctor there was some leeway for 'advising'. Plus the stallion had been on good terms with Mauja for a long while now. They even travelled to see the Earth God together.

In a rare moment his mismatched eyes softened at the slender femme "don't worry too much about King Mauja. After all you're my Nurse not his. You should worry about me more" he grumbled the last line, giving Kou a 'betrayed' look.

filled with rage

Aurora Basin Mare
ali

K O U
Softly she comes

Perhaps she was pushing the envelope with the amount of touching that was happening between the doctor and herself, but Kou found herself caring very little. At the moment she did not consider herself a nurse. She was just a mare that had run away, temporarily, from her homeland for a little bit of solace. It was only luck that the doctor, who never seemed for forget his duties, followed her up there.

Each time she touched him, the touch lingered a little longer than it should have as she tested the waters with d'Artagnan. Over the past couple of weeks she had noticed little bit of a change in him. She didn't know if it was because he was growing comfortable around her or if it was something else. As his breathing finally stabilized she touched her muzzle to his neck, letting that touch linger as well before she finally pulled herself away from him and looked back out and the snowy horizon.

d'Artagnan made her smile as he said he didn't need to touch Deimos to kill him. "I suppose not." She admitted. But it wouldn't stop her from worrying and it wouldn't comfort her. Honestly she felt there would be little comfort for her as long as such a dangerous stallion shared her home, but alas, she was not the leader. She didn't know what he was thinking. Perhaps he saw Deimos as some kind of secret weapon. If this were the case then hopefully the weapon didn't backfire.

"don't worry too much about King Mauja. After all you're my Nurse not his. You should worry about me more"

The pale mare turned her head toward d'Artagnan and she smiled once more. "I always worry about you d'Art." she said gently as she bumped her muzzle against his. "I worry about you the most of all."

The touching was making the Doctor nervous, but the more she did the more he dealt with it better. His heart rate was rapid but, although it never dropped, it slowly became bearable... Enjoyable even. It was easy to say the d'Artagnan understood next to nothing about love, but being a natural thing he couldn't help the reactions his body made. The awkwardness he felt as he tried to figure out how to return her affection, did he just touch her back? Did it need words? What should he say? So many questions as his one track mind tried to understand all these feelings.

I worry about you the most of all.

Without even thinking before he did it, he turned to stare at her with shocked eyes. His previous comment had been made in jest but he didn't expect an answer like that. She worries about me? He turned back to the cold view and turned the statement over in his mind. No one had ever said they were worried about him before, it was part of the reason he'd joked about it. It added to the intimateness of the situation and d'Artagnan became even more unsure of how to handle it.

Why am I thinking about her like this?
You love her.
Shut up.

The red rolled his eyes skywards. He was talking to his own conscience now, convincing himself he was going mad. Completely mad. Now what was he supposed to say? His thoughts reeled as he tried to grasp something, anything that he could respond with. He tilted his head slightly to look at her pale figure, blue eyes and her petite body. The Doctor shook his head in embarrassment. "I... I worry about you too" finally the Doctor gave into the real reason he had followed her the arch.

filled with rage

Aurora Basin Mare
ali

K O U
Softly she comes

Kou smiled at the shocked look that d'Artagnan gave her when she said that she worried about him. Why wouldn't she worry about him? She was his nurse and he was her doctor, that alone should have been reason enough, nevermind the fact that she was falling for him. She was the only one that knew about that as far as she knew. Everyone assumed that she was only near him so often because of her job. That was certainly the case at the very beginning, but now her presence was more voluntary than anything else. She enjoyed being near the doctor and found comfort in the gruff sound of his voice and his violent ways. "Don't look so surprised, doctor." She said teasingly. "Do you not think yourself worthy of my worrying?"

The pale laughed quietly, thankful for whatever the Doctor's reason for following her was. He'd certainly drawn her out of her brooding for a while and improved her mood. She looked back at the doctor, her head tilting slightly as he seemed to be lost within his own thoughts. It wasn't unusual and so she looked back out at the frozen landscap. Her tail flicked from side to side, the silky strands of it brushing across her hocks as well as the doctor's since they were standing so close together because of the bitter cold.

"I... I worry about you, too."

Oh, well that was a little surprising.

Kou's gaze shifted back to the doctor and she smiled. "You're very sweet, doctor." She said, reaching to bump her muzzle against his. "But you don't have to worry about me." A little hypocritical, since she spent most of her time worrying, but the doctor had a whole herd to take care of. He definitely had enough on his plate without worrying about her.

"Why would someone worry about the likes of me?" His vocals were quiet then, like a spoken thought instead of a statement. More wonder than fact. It didn't bother d'Artagnan necessarily, his father's policy of 'fight hard and no tears' left little room for worrying before. Although the brute most likely did it without even noticing from time to time.

d'Artagnan tilted his head and listened as Kou's teasing voice played on his lobes, sending warm sensations through his body. Her words. Her touch. It all worked against his resolve, his once solid belief that love wasn't real. The grumpy Doctor of the Worlds Edge slowly began to look more like, in Kou's words, a sweet Doctor. These feelings were foreign to him, yet they made him happy and warm. Something he hadn't ever felt in his life, so one could sympathize with his moments of sheer panic. His nose tingled where she touched as his shaken guard slowly fell to pieces.

Slowly and nervously, d'Artagnan moved his nose against hers and roved it along the side of her cheek and onto her neck, reflecting her face into his horns. Taking in her scent, the way she felt and, as his nose travelled further, her pulses. Dark mane threatened to drape over her snowy fur as his nose stopped just past her withers. Dual coloured eyes glanced back, his heart beat increasing at all the new feelings as unanswered questions laced his eyes.

The Doctor no longer felt the cold air ruffling his bloody pelt, nor the gentle breeze that flicked his tail under him. He watched his Nurse with intent, wondering if she would return the same feelings.

I'll worry about you anyway.

filled with rage

Aurora Basin Mare
ali

K O U
Softly she comes

Kou didn't understand why d'Artagnan would be so confused and not understand why she worried about him. "I worry about you because I care about you." Her tone was hushed, almost a whisper. He was important to her, why was that so hard for him to believe? The mare watched the doctor's face for any signs that he understood completely that he was cared for.

The pale mare's eyes closed as the doctor touched his nose to her own. As his muzzle moved across her cheek and neck the beating of her heart began to increase. Her eyes opened and she turned her head to look at the doctor when he stopped at her withers. Patiently, the mare waited for the touching to continue, but instead he turned his eyes back to her face. It lead her to wonder if he was waiting for permission.

Kou stretched her neck and nuzzled d'Artagnan's cheek, all the while shifting her body closer to his so she was pressed more firmly against him. "d'Art." She murmured his name quietly then smiled.

d'Artagnan felt himself losing control of his emotions as she pressed in closer and murmured his name. The Doctor still did not really understand these feelings he had for her and why they made him so nervous. However, his body soon took control of the situation as blood bay fell completely under his Nurse's spell. Desire spread like wild fire through every limb of his body, possessing him and directing each sultry action. A sooty nose roved even further, permission now granted, moving swiftly down her spine and atop her rump, each hoof moving with it. Dual oculars drinking each feature she possessed, his merlot fur a stark contrast to her snow white pelt.

The future was far from thought as only the present existed, many would see this as d'Artagnan at his weakest. The only time he let his guard down. But now his Nurse had managed to do it, would this become easier? Could he finally understand these feelings? Questions that would bother him later as for now he was busy. These moments were rare indeed, devoid of thought and ruled by emotion d'Artagnan moved and claimed Kou as his own.

Time passed too quickly for the mad man and as soon as those heated emotions passed away it left a rather nervous Doctor. What should he do now? His hooves caressed the snowy surface as he moved back to stand side by side with Kou, allowing his nose to lay next to hers. Words were stuck in his throat, he had no idea what he should say now, like an actor forgetting his lines in a theatre full of people. He watched the wind pick up wisps of snow and blow it across the landscape, as empty as his mind at the moment.

d'Artagnan looked back towards where the Edge lay, the need to move becoming almost impossible to ignore. He turned his head back to the pale femme with nervous, questioning eyes. "Shall we walk back?

filled with rage