the Rift

[OPEN] words on their own become empty emotion [eris]

Skysong Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Skysong

The day the skies cracked open was the day I left home.

"You couldn't survive out there on your own," Mother had told me, aghast. "And why couldn't I?" I had demanded angrily, my own voice rising above Mother's soft tones. "You were alone since you were what, six months? I'm a year old, Mother! When are you going to let me grow up?" "Perhaps when you choose to act like a grown-up," she had told me firmly, her voice not raising at all. I had been angry, and bitter, and cooped up, and I had been like this for far too long. "I hate you!" I had spat at her, and then I had walked away.

It was not long before I found myself bounding into flight, clumsily lifting myself into the sky. I was not as graceful as Mother, perhaps, but I did not care; I wanted only an escape, only to prove to her that I could, in fact, take care of myself. She had not followed me, and the realization saddened me more than I could say. Did she not care for me? Did she not want me to stay with her? Or had I simply wounded her too much for her to bear to follow? Had I been to harsh with her? Questions buzzed around my mind like so many flies, and I had found my eyes overflowing with tears until I had to land, unable to see to fly straight. The ground beneath my feet was white, like Mother's pelt, and crunched softly under my hooves.

I had never seen snow before.

The day the skies cracked open was the day I left my family behind me.

"Talk talk talk."

Eris_ Posts: 97
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Frostie
ERIS
Just give me a reason,
Just a little bit's enough,
Just a second we're not broken, just bent.
The journey to the deep forest from the Threshold was quick and painless. This killer was left alone to her thoughts, just the way she liked it. Her blue eyes opened to a new day, she had come to call this forest home. Here she was safe, warm and well cared for. By now, the cold one was used to living alone, she was tough and very capable of taking care of herself. She did not get lonely, in fact if one strode with confidence and their own thoughts they were never alone. Eris had found that she was great company for herself. She understood herself perfectly while others did not. So while many would think of her lonely and looney, but Eris was quite happy. As she walked now, a smile accompanied her. With no path chosen, she simply crashed through the undergrowth. She did not care if anyone heard her, after all, she was a killer. The pages of her life where redder than the blood that she had spilt. She hid her history and future under the confident smile that she wore though. Strong, cruel, vicious and bitter, would be how she would describe herself to a stranger. Danger was obvious. That just poured off of her.

She had always stuck to the idea of having her own group of crazy souls though. The idea had been with her ever since her father had mentioned it to her one night. It would just be a group that understood each other Eris. You are like me, we are not normal. That's a good thing my little lion, but others will never understand you, unless they are as crazy as you. The killer still missed her father, the one that had made her a fighter, warrior and protector. She would share this knowledge with the group, together they would find land, and live together. They would be peaceful and stable...well maybe not peaceful. The lion loved discord far to much to ever be peaceful. She was forever wondering off to places, looking for lives to destroy, things to ruin and other things. The one good thing about Eris' evilness was that it was never pointless. So when the little girl landed a few meters in front of her, the creator of discord grinned at the opportunity to gather Intel and ruin a few soul's days. She just watched for a moment assessing the filly's mental and psychical state. The little bird seemed fine psychically however mentally...well she was acting sad. With a roll of her blue eyes, Eris sighed before she actually began to move again.

She still looked over the fair little dove, bright eyes sparkling with the evilness that had been with her since the day she was born. A malice like smirk settled on her lips and her body moved now with purpose. She did not feel like fighting today, her mind was not right. The plots and plans where scrambled and in battle her thoughts would be worthless. She walked up to the filly, with a compassionate facial expression. She did not know why, but this little one interested her. The weakness she showed did not impress Eris though. She did see the side of a fighter though. Surely someone so young had to battle to get away from their mother. Her own mother had been a nightmare, someone she pretended didn't exist. She approached from behind, watching the pegasus. "Such a pretty wee dove." She laughed, it was not a warm laugh. It was cold heartless and careless. Behind her, her hair dragged along the ground. Dirty, spilt ended, twigs, leaves and god knows what else was tangled in the mess. Her coat was covered in scars, and was only slightly better from her hair. It was about time that she chopped it off.

Smelling the crying dove now, Eris knew exactly what she could use the filly for.

She looked over the child, sniffed at her shoulder and then stood back to study the weak little thing before her. It would be so easy to crush her beneath her hooves. In an instant her life would be gone. Lights out. A satisfied smile now danced over Eris' lips. While the crazy light lit up in her eyes, the flame of battle had come to life. However she did not wish to kill this one, that would spoil her good mood. She was silent again as she studied her coat, there were no psychical scars so to speak of, however Eris believed that there might be scars under the coat. What was this little dove doing out here all alone? "Stop with the theatrics." tutted Eris in a stone cold voice. She had no time to waste with crying birds, but she did need a new apprentice. Someone to accompany her on her crazy schemes, the filly's fighting spirit called out to her. She wondered where the baby's mother was, why she had let her lamb run so far from the flock without even chasing her. Clearly this little being would not survive long out here before another came along and try to claim her. Eris would not let that happen, she wanted the little thing for herself. A single chuckle at the joy of finding a new thing to entertain herself with. Maybe, just maybe she would prove herself to be more than that though.

Her wicked body moved closer to the filly, her eyes remained staring at the filly's face. "Today's your lucky day my little dove." Eris' tone was bored. She now removed her eyes from the filly and strolled around their little opening, as if interested in the nature. The she paused by a bush and turned back to the filly abruptly. "I'm going to let you live." She sighed as if it was such a large hassle to grant the filly this gift. She turned back to the forest, she was curious as to why this filly had interested her so much. "But first there is just one little thing you have to do for me." She still spoke it the bored tone. Then she stopped speaking and giggled slightly. Blue eyes came back to rest on the bird. "No two things, first stop being so emotional." A roll of her crystal blue eyes. Eris could barely stand those with emotion. Then she flipped her mane over her shoulder and sniffed at the filly again. The smell of the herd still reeked from the little dove. "Tell me about your home, what is it like?" She had no interest in living there of course. She knew nothing about the herds and if her group needed to find a home, Eris needed to start gathering information now. The weakest sounding herd would be the one loosing their home to the group. It was unfortunate.

But Eris' world had no room for weakness.

[[OOC: Goodness gracious I waffled on with her, sorry about that. ]]

Unregistered

Skysong

The day was like ice after I stopped moving, and I bleakly imagined it to match my heart, all frozen stone and wanton abandonment. I admit, it was one of my more dramatic notions, for as I young filly I had a penchant for such theatrics. Still, it was more for show than anything. Though I did have a bit of guilt for leaving Mother the way I did, a much larger part of my soul longed for the freedom that this argument had given me. I had no intentions of looking back. I had left, and I was going to make my way in the world through hell or high water. I was young. I was pretty. I was strong. I was smart. At least, that's what I kept telling myself.

The forest was dark, and perhaps that was why the cold voice emanating from behind me startled me so; I whirled a tad too quickly and stumbled backward, but my naiveté led to curiosity rather than fear. My auds quirked forward rather than back, and instead of scurrying from the strange mare, I stood my ground as she approached. Perhaps even then there was a certain clairvoyance in me, though I would not call it magic - I felt that she would not hurt me, though it was well within her power to do so, though I could not tell you how I knew this to be true. Instead, I watched in silence as the fae slipped closer, her movements oddly smooth. She was covered from head to hoof in scars, and her mane and tail hung in tangles. This was not a mare to be trifled with, nor was she one that seemed entirely sound of mind. I have to admit, the notion interested me far more than it should have.

The light-hued femme moved closer still and, after a sniff to my shoulder, away again. She smelled of death, I remember that now. I had not smelled such a stench before, not in my sheltered life, but it was there all the same. "Stop with the theatrics," she ordered, and I did, not because she had told me to, but because I no longer felt the urge to cry. I was not a baby any longer, after all, and I immediately regretted that the mare had found me in that condition. I should have been standing tall, carelessly inspecting my surroundings. I should have heard her coming, or something. In my mind, I was beginning to make a list of things I had done wrong, mistakes that I would not repeat a second time. If nothing else, I was intelligent, and I learned from my own stupidity when given half a chance.

When she told me that I was lucky, I was tempted for half a second to answer with a snarky remark, but her addendum silenced me. Instead of cowering, however, I merely tilted my head to one side. I attribute this to two things, the first being the sense that she would not harm me,and the second being the youthful bliss in which I was still cocooned. There was no such thing as murder in my world as yet; that only happened in Mother's stories, the ones she had told me to scare me into staying with her for all my days. I had not believed her, and at that point in my life, I still had no reason to change my mind. "Stop being so emotional," I was told, and though my eyes had dried already, I lifted my head a bit higher, puffed my chest out a little further. There was something about her that made me want to impress her, and so I tried with all my heart to do so.

And then she asked about home. "It's very hot," I blurted, almost without thinking. I hadn't wanted to keep her waiting, after all. "A lot of the newcomers think that we wouldn't be able to survive there, but they're wrong. There's a big oasis deep in the desert, and that's where we stay 'most all the time. There's quite a bit of green around the water - grass and trees and the like - so it's not so bad there, even in Tallsun. There's the ocean on one side, if you walk far enough, and they're building a wall on the other, along the border. Mo-" I stop, not wanting to call her Mother like a big baby. "The Forgers are working on it, ma'am, night and day, but it's not anywhere near done, not yet, anyway." I hesitate, and then: "May I ask why you want to know, ma'am?"

"Talk talk talk."

Deceased
Frostie
ERIS
Just give me a reason,
The poor thing seem confused by her question for a moment, Eris waited with what little patience she had. She was a very strange little thing, Eris's light blue eyes watched her muse over her question. Then she quickly blurted out about the temperature. Eris frowned wondering if she would have to continue questioning her, knowing about the temperature wasn't much help. However before she could slip in another word the filly was speaking again. Hmm, the information she blabbed was interesting enough. Realising that it was probably good to learn about what battle conditions could possible be ahead, Eris listened in closely. Her father would be quite mad at her for not absorbing every piece of information offered to her. She smiled at the filly's last question. Perhaps she wasn't so slow after all. "Learning all I can about the different herd lands, my dear." She chuckled and watched the little bird. It wasn't exactly a lie, but not the entire truth either.

She settled into the silence that now fell between them. She didn't think this land was the one for her to-be herd. Then again the filly didn't say much about it's protection and the members that actually resided there. Eris slyly took a step closer and look over the scarless body. "What's your name little dove?" she asked with a coy smile. Her hair whipped around in a sudden blast of wind. A sigh passes through her lips before she spoke again. "My name is Eris. I'm named after a goddess of discord." A genuine smile lit the mare's face now. "I believe that it's my duty to create a little bit of discord for Helovia."

Her laugher was cold and heartless, it rippled through the air. She was crazy and she loved being this way. She found herself wanting to share even more with this little bird. How odd. She never shared her plans with anyone. Then again it wasn't like this little filly was going to be able to start a herd and steal her idea. "I'm actually starting my own herd, so far it's just me, but soon others will join." She sniffed happily, thinking about a family that was as crazy as she was. One day they would take a herd land and that would be the day that she would finally be in control of something.
I would be that day that she shined.

She looked over the winged filly with interested eyes. Why did this little one interest her so?

Unregistered

Skysong

One might assume that the first thing on my mind at the moment might be returning home to the Throat. Or perhaps they would think that I ought to apologize to Mother. Perhaps they are even right about that, at least. But the thing of the utmost importance that I find myself focused on is impressing this admittedly not-completely-sane mare. Or at least, that's the sense I get from her. Now, whether this is an actual desire to please or simply self-preservation instinct, I cannot rightly say. Perhaps it was a little bit of both. I earn a smile from my question, and I offer a tentative half-grin in return, though my mind is awhirl with the implications of her words. I am too young to understand that creating a herd much mean the takeover of a herdland, for I have not yet realized in my sheltered life that a herd needs a land to survive here. I do not yet piece together the puzzle that would clearly point to an invasion of some unfortunate terrain later.

"My name is Skysong," I tell her, my head held proudly and my chest puffed out. At the very least I can show her that I am a confident young fae - that's a good idea, right? After all, she has smiled at me, so I must be earning some kind of liking, right? She gives me her name, and I mentally file it away in my memory, for I have the feeling that I will need it later. "It's nice to meet you, Eris." I'm not quite sure what kind of discord she means to sow, but I have to say I am interested. Isn't discord chaos? My life has been far too orderly, far too simple - I could use a little chaos, although I haven't the slightest idea just what kind the femme has planned.

Her laugh sends a chill up my spine, though I couldn't tell you why. She does not seem particularly happy, not in that laugh. No, as far as I can tell, she laughs for no reason at all, and that I just do not understand. "I'll join your herd," I offer sweetly, a hopeful smile on my lips. "I haven't... I wasn't allowed to help with anything, back in the Throat, but I want to do something useful. I want to go places, and I want to see things, and maybe I even want to create discord," I say the word carefully, sure to say it correctly. "I wanna be like you," I add with all the innocence and naivete of youth. "Will you show me, Eris?"

"Talk talk talk."

Deceased
Frostie
ERIS
Just give me a reason,
Skysong, what an interesting name. In some ways Eris found the name to be likeable. Skysong was sweet, Eris felt like she was already badly influencing the little doe just by talking to her. How...glorious. Having always been an impertinent creature herself, the lightly coloured mare watched the youngin with her head held proudly and chest puffed out. Such an innocent little being, it would be so easy to toy with her. However the elder restrained herself, she wouldn't cause this one any pain at the moment. She was still of use to Eris. "Are you sure it's nice to meet me Skysong?" Cooed the mare. Her chuckle was cold, meaningless and evil. "You don't actually know me, my dear. Perhaps you should wait to know the real me before you make that call."

The offer to join the herd wipes the smile clean off of Eris' face. The older mare stand stumped at the offer with a blank look on her face. This little bird actually wanted to be with her? Did she realise that joining the herd she would be joining a new family, leaving everyone she knew and loved behind? Even at first if she just spied for the group, in the end she would have to leave her mother, father, brothers and sisters.
However Eris remembers what it was like to be this young. To have your potential laughed at. The eagerness to do something with your life. The filly confirms this with her following sentence, the discord comment causes a laugh to tumble from Eris' chops. "Are you sure my little dove? Do you want to leave everything you know?" She want to be alike in nature? Now the mare lowers her eyes to the filly's level. Oh she was at the perfect age to be brain washed, tricked and manipulated. "I can teach you everything I know. You will become stronger, smarter and a fighter." Eris wanted to make this filly a tiny little weapon. So many would believe that sweet little face!

"You have three options. First is you swear loyalty to me and I shall allow you to return home. You will become a spy for my and tell me the in workings of the herd. I will train you everyday and you will become my apprentice.
The second one is, you swear loyalty to me and live with me. I will train you as well and we will recruit more members for the herd together. Once again you will be my apprentice and I shall raise you.
The thrid one is, you walk away now with no hard feelings."

With her monologue finished, she watched the filly patiently. The choice was entirely up to the young one, she did not mind what the filly chose. Hating to admit it, Eris had found the filly to be likeable, the same way she found the name Skysong likeable.

Unregistered

Skysong

She is very odd, this Eris, but I like her. There's something dangerous about her that appeals to me, for I have been so very protected in my short life. I want to live. I want to live well. I want to do things, and go places. I want, I want, I want. I have never wanted anything quite so badly as I wanted this. Leaving my home? Not a problem. Leaving my mother? Makes me feel slightly guilty, but it's fine. I don't need her; she doesn't need me. She was never around me, anyway, so I doubt she even misses me. And soon she'll just have a new baby to take my place. My lips curls in a sneer, perhaps the first negativity I have shown in Eris' presence, and I rush to reassure her that it is not directed at her, for I feel that would not be received very kindly.

"I'm sure," I tell her firmly. "I may not know you that well, Eris, but I do know that who I came from are nothing like you. Father left and Mother doesn't care about me. I don't have anything worth going back to." I pause. "I don't have anything worth leaving. I want to learn. I want something better than that." It is all truth, though I feel bad for voicing such bad things about my family. But Father shouldn't have left, and Mother should have treated me like an adult. They were in the wrong, not me!

She begins to speak of options, and I want cry when she tells me that I might go back to the Throat. But I refuse, because she doesn't like tears, and I'm stronger than that, anyway, and I'm glad, because she quickly offers me a second and then a third option. Somehow I seem to have gained her approval, and though I'm not sure quite how yet, I am determined not to let her down. "Please don't make me go back, Eris," she said, not quite begging, but almost. "Let me stay with you. I'll be the best apprentice you could ask for, I promise! I'll do everything you say! I won't ever look back."

"Talk talk talk."