the Rift

Battered Young Book [open]

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream
[Image: hectortable.png]
--- Equine x Unicorn x Pegasus ---
If the likes of Hector were a book in a library, they would be the grandest branch of them all. Pick up a magnifying glass and observe its cover... Do you see the gold embroidery and the rich elegant writing? Such a book of grandeur quality belonged to emperors, the jewels of their crown.

Only an idiot would believe the lies this cover tells.

If you dare, turn back the front and immerse yourself inside. Be careful as you handle the pages. The story is one of heartbreak and betrayal which makes the bearer of such memories rather frail.

Even the great warriors stood inches less than he. A wingspan that would match any mighty Pegasus, they raised twice over the size of his 18.2hh equine body. But you would be foolish to think he is of the winged race, do not be in a hurry. Observe. For what protrudes grandly from his liver head are, not one, but two horns. Rhino in type, the largest sits proudly on his brow and the other, of smaller means, appears daintily by his nostrils. Unicorn? Nay! Although his lion tail and cloven hooves suggest otherwise. So what if you removed all such mythical frippery and stared him naked. Why, he would be liver chestnut in colour with bright chestnut mane (albeit hogged) and tail hair. A little tall to be an average athletic equine but still, he had a white sock and white markings dashed here and there on a noble face. He is not equine but maybe of similar innocent nature? Who knows, the equine race changes here and there. The equines of his wretched herd did little to make Hector think them innocent. Pity? Maybe, maybe.

It was on this day and time (noon to be precise) that a broken looking Hector made his way into the Threshold of a new land. He could of flown but there was little to be joyous about to enjoy the fruits of flight. Instead he walked in on his unicorn hooves carrying his lion tail low, trailing tangled orange hair along the floor. His chocolate feathers rustled in the light breeze and dropping a few as he walked. The tribrid came to a halt and looked around his surroundings. He could smell all types of creatures which surprised him, especially in a land that seemed to reek with unrest. Maybe that was the reason. How would he know until he met someone. Not wanting to intrude on anyone's territory (and slightly self conscious), Hector stood and awaited someone to make an appearance.

Oh life was such a bastard! All this stallion wanted was the recognition of others. Millions of questions ran through his head, millions of words and opinions. It took a while before one phrase kept running through his mind.

Please, be different!

Pilottage @ flickr

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Kimber Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 4 (Ages in Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Kaiden :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Kachie
Fleet hooves carried the filly south, out of the Foothills and deeper into the wooded lands that lay to the east of her home territory. She traveled at an easy trot, head high and ears perked, two colored tail held aloft like a banner. Energy she had to spare today, fresh from an entertaining romp in the shallows of the waterfall-fed pool at the heart of the Foothills. Her coat was still damp even now, mouse-brown darkened to something closer to the ebon that marked her at every point.

It wasn't until the scent of burnt things reached her that she slowed and cast about inquisitively with deep blue eyes lively with boundless curiosity. A figure caught her eye in the middle distance, and she picked up her trot again to more swiftly approach the stranger. The stranger who was, to simply put it, huge. Fascination had her drawing up short, peering up at the winged and horned steed that towered above her.

After a short time she could no longer restrain herself. "Hello! You're huge. Where are you from? Are you looking for a place to stay?" Words flowed from her, almost as though she'd just ramble him into submission and drag him home with her. And then she stopped, looking not the least bit fazed by the fact that he utterly dwarfed her. Ears twitched as she watched him, waiting to hear what he had to say for himself.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!
Kri the Resolute

He was curious, that was certain. Body a deep shade of brown, with a hint of rust, which reflected over into his choppy mane and leonine tail. It reminded me strangely of Cassiopeia's tail, normally the adornment of a unicorn, found upon the body of a pegasus. However, the horns protruding from his skull would make me think of Jaydan, the unicorn and pegasus cross who was polite yet a little strange. Still, there was a normalcy to the color of this stallion's coat that would make me weary to call him anything but an equine, despite the obvious extra appendages that adorned his body.

I watch him with quiet amusement, my blue eyes shining in the light of the sun above, sweat pulled out from the heat. For his immense size, this stallion looked almost timid, the way he drew back in the Threshold, standing politely as if he was waiting for an acquaintance to come pick him up. The scent of his flesh told me he was not from the land of Helovia, but somewhere distant. There was no clear idea for me where he had come from, but that it was odd he would assume that others would come for him here. Obviously, he was no fool, because here was a filly approaching him, while I remained far enough to avoid being spotted while observing.

Both of us were here to pick him up, if we could manage. The thought was almost enough to tickle a laugh from my throat, if I wasn't afraid of being spotted by the pair and accused of eavesdropping. I had no interest in what the filly had to say or ask, only the stallion before whom she stood.

Sliding from the trees, my small frame makes its way toward the stallion without a hint of hesitation. I was not afraid of his much larger body, and not just because of my overwhelming confidence. There was a gentleness in the way he stood here, so calmly, waiting for he approach of another. I would not peg him as aggressive. In fact, I am probably far more aggressive than this mammoth of a stallion. Looking upward, my small face tipped to look up to his own, with no obvious lack of dignity, I proffer a smile.

"Hello to you, brother," I say, voice strong. "I am Kri. Might I ask your name?" You may notice that I paid no heed to the filly beside me, except maybe a glance in her direction. I was dismissive because, frankly, that child was no concern of mine.
""

venomxbaby, Dracoart-Stock, SalsolaStock

Hector
With a flick of an ear and flaring nostrils, Hector soon deduced that there was someone approaching. The wait was short but apprehensive as he wondered and wondered how these inhabitants would view him. Stay or flee? The great stallion turned his attention to the new pair of eyes before him...

She was young, a yearling maybe but only a filly and clearly curious as all youth were. Or meant to be. He thought off handily to himself. The youth of his town didn't have time to be curious, colts were enlisted as troops before yearling age and fillies learnt how to look after them. The femme population only existed to boost troop numbers. Well, if one was to bluntly put it that is. The filly before Hector, however, seemed different. More carefree and less fear. This sheer fact inspired a long lost hope and Hector let a gentle smile play around his dark lips. He listened kindly to the fillies questions. The last one tweaking his heart a little.

Stay or flee?

Answers would have to wait as another was quickly approaching. His ears flicked in uncertainty, this one had wings like his. Not a filly, a femme yes, but this one was a mare. She was his elder, but not old as he was young. Through the dense, bloody chambers of his body a heart of massive size increased its speed. It wasn't one of love that pounded warmth into every bone, this was emotional pain driven like it was being whipped for betrayal. Mares had always been judgemental towards him, they hid their children and slandered him for being different. The stallions that were soldiers left him to die in skirmishes and the nobles only saw him as a tool. This is not that place! Hector controlled himself and looked to the pegasus mare as she too then spoke.

Brother?

The tribrid stood stunned. His flaming eyes staring at the mare, his posture stiff in shock. No one ever called Hector brother. It took a while but he did control himself once more and smiled sheepishly at the pair. "They named me Hector. I'm from a place called Eboracum, a place far away from here." The vocals were not smooth or gruff, instead they commanded a presence that Hector didn't always want. He considered the last question the filly had asked, turning it over in his mind. These folk didn't seem to care for his appearance, they came in calm manners. They confused him and intrigued him. Maybe he did want to stay.

Stay or flee?

"I... Yes a place to stay would help me most"

Stay.

• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Kimber Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 4 (Ages in Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Kaiden :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Kachie
Some small part of the filly was aware of the tension that faded when her appearance revealed nothing more than an adolescent. But it meant little to her, so she ignored it in favor of openly studying the giant steed before her. This steed who spared a small smile for her inquiries. He did not answer her questions immediately, for his attention veered from her, and her attention followed.

There was a mare there, small of stature but great of presence, bearing dark feathered wings. Small ears twitched forward with curious interest, but slowly tipped back when this mare barely paid any attention to her. A young mind churned, trying to discover if any names and reputations she'd learned of from her mother matched this mare. It was the name that was offered to the stallion that sparked the association. Kri the Resolute, leader of the Dragon's Throat, allies with the Foothills. A small snort was uttered, and a two-toned tail switched against mousey colored haunches.

Kimber was about to speak, but shut her mouth when the stallion spoke at last. Blue eyes peered up at him, open and curious as he named himself, Hector, and where he was from. It was unfamiliar to her, but she well knew that many lands lay far from here, Helovia. Her own birthland was one of them.

At last she decided to try to be diplomatic instead of pestering Kri. "I'm Kimber, from the Foothills. We take in anybody." There was a small, defiant glance cast Kri's way. This filly knew of her, would the mare recognize the filly in turn?

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!
Kri the Resolute

He looked shocked, and for a moment I had doubted my choice of words. One ear flicks backward uncertainly, my confident posture almost stammering, but I hold the proud air around me still. There is something in his eyes that looks surprised, but I could not call this emotion angry. Obviously, whatever I had said to him had not offended the large stallion, but more took him by surprise. Relaxing the tension building up in my brow, I smile.

It is a genuinely warm expression, which is more than I can say for my recent encounters with stallions. The smile is reflected with a shy, yet gentle one on the face of the large stallion. I find my eyes locked onto his face, fascinated with the dichotomy of his intimidatingly fierce build yet sheepish personality. Interesting, I think to myself, very interesting. The voice with which he introduced himself was not as timid as his previous expression would lead you to believe.

My dark blue eyes won't seem to budge. Why is this one so different?

"Hector," my voice echos, a hum on my lips. It was a simple name, but it was quite a fitting contradiction, like the rest of him. Almost every detail about his personality screamed in an opposite manner of his appearance. I smile at his comment of wanting to stay, waiting for the filly to speak before me as I gathered my wits about me. There was no way I would be leaving the Threshold without this Hector. Before I was merely intrigued by the power of his appearance, but now I found him equally as interesting in personality.

I imagine he has a reliable heart, and I need individuals like this for the Throat. Kimber, at her name I glance downward to view her with a petulant little smile, has no direct offer, but it is quite blatant that she wishes everybody to include Hector. I smooth over my expression before looking upward, however. My childish feelings should be locked away tight, for this is a delicate operation. I would not wish to frighten Hector away with my temper.

My face turns gracious, blue eyes gleaming intently as I stare up at him, the awkward angling of my short body uncomfortable but tolerable. I suppose I did not have to look him directly in the eye, but I intended to. "You are welcome to stay in the Dragon's Throat with me, Hector. We would be lucky to have you," my words are spoken strongly, but still with an air of kindness not often found.
""

venomxbaby, Dracoart-Stock, SalsolaStock

Hector
Hector watched the two with interest and confusion. None had ever been so welcoming to him. Both offered their lands; Foothills and Dragon's Throat. Something Hector would never thought would happen. It made him wonder what other creatures lived here, whether there were beings like him around. A broader smile crept across his face, one of relief and one he had been holding in for all 3 years of his life. The acceptance of others. Happy he did decide to make the long journey across the land to Helovia, Hector wondered who he was going to go with now. It was an odd choice to make, considering he knew very little about both lands. Instead he went with the one who seemed more like a leader, Kri, he hadn't seen many pure pegasus in his herd. They were a rare thing.

"I've never been met with such offers before." He allowed his clear astonishment filter through each word of his deep voice. Hector turned to look gratefully at the young Kimber "maybe I can come visit your home some time..." the great steed was honestly curious about all the realms in the new land. Cloven hooves shifted a little from holding his weight for so long in one spot, lifting one back one up to rest it, he now turned to look at Kri.

"But for now I'd love to come stay in the Dragons Throat with you, Kri."