the Rift

[OPEN] Faded Colors (Shadow, Open)

Aiko Darleane Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The Heart Family
Aiko

"The day was like any other in the Dragon's Throat, and here I was, stuck here. I was only four months at the time, but it was something that I was far from happy about. My father had been missing for an entire season now, and it was Frostfall, but the snow never touched my jaded home. The deserts that were filled with deep oranges and reds where the heat was kept tied down, almost as if it was a rabid animal that was never to be set free. I wanted to be grown, to be able to be free, to be of use. Why was it that I felt just as tied down as the heat? I was looking out over the sand dunes, when I decided it would be best to go and play. I walked over to my mother, who was lying there in the shade even in Frostfall, and I simply asked if I could go out and play. The answer was yes, and I trotted off with only the speed a foal could have.

I already knew where I was going. It was a place that I had found to be my favorite, and it was some place that I would go quite often when I wanted to think or be alone. There was a place I found that was just by the boarders, and it was high enough to see everything. It was on a ridge that was climbable, and it was easy enough for me to climb to it. Though it took me a while because my feet where small and still a little unaccustomed to such activities, I was still able to make it. The place I liked was right on the edge, where is was flatter than all the rest. I laid myself carefully down, and over looked the areas beyond that of my dry home. I could see the desert below, rain covering patches now as it snowed further out where the desert turned to large forest. It was an interesting sight, but no rain touched here yet.

'Oh daddy, what am I supposed to do?'

The truth of the matter was there was nothing I could do. I was upset enough as it is, and as I kept thinking about what to do, nothing logical came to my mind. I could feel my heart hurt, and so I healed it as I had when I was in the forest at night with those two other unicorns. Though my heart felt better, my mind did not, and I simply stared at the sky, in a loss about how to conduct myself. I was always mature for my age, and I felt it now, wanted to do the adult thing, but hating how I could only do childish things.

OCC: Smoke first, then open :3

"blah blah blah."

Image Credits

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan
This place was strange. She couldn't quite get over how different it was from everything she used to know, from all she had believed to be solid and real and true. All horses had wings, magic was only wishful thinking related in stories to amuse foals and the world was a nice, peaceful place where predators were the only things one had to look out for.

Ha. Who was she kidding? That outlook on the world had turned out to be naive at best and more stupid than pleasant. The very first thing that had happened as she came to these lands had resulted in the mare being exposed to magic, not only once but twice! She had been faced with a wingless horse, with antipathy between species and she would never be able to get over her very first meeting with the horned ones. Even now as she soared over the desert landscape she had decided would be suitable to call home the fur on her back prickled and rose at the memory of the hidden valley up north. It was a shiver resulted from a multitude of colliding feelings, from everything between fear and horror, loathing of their strangeness and a very strange, very unsettling sensation of awe. No matter how the feathered shade twisted and wished for it not to be true, she couldn't escape the fact that deep down... they had been beautiful.

Snorting and leaving a cloud of white breath behind the black pegasus flapped her wings harder, forcing herself forward at greater speed. In an attempt at distracting herself from the uneasy thoughts she peered down over the barren landscape with intrigue, amethyst gaze hungrily devouring every crack and crevice, every dune of sand that lay cold and unforgiving beneath her feet. This place was strange too, she thought. Never before had she seen so much land almost completely void of water or greenery. It was an arid landscape, red rocks jutting from crackling ground as though the very bones of the world had been made to protrude here. Even in the cold season the sun felt warm, and while snow fell and the nights were frigid it was a pleasant location to be in. Shadow quite liked it, enjoyed the vastness of the horizon and how the red ocean of dust fell into the sea along the coast.

Dipping the tips of her left wing ever so slightly the lithe raven leaned into a wide circle, allowing the speed to drop to instead make use of the warm updrafts created as the sun beat down onto the scorched earth. Taking in the cool air with deep breaths, a new kind of shudder rippled across the ebony skin. A deep, wild, jubilant whinny launched from her throat, a singing hymn to the sky, the earth, the wind and the purest form of freedom she would ever feel. She pitied those bereaved souls who would never soar across the heavens, who would never know how vast the world was or what it could feel like to be able to go exactly where she wanted, never tied by distance.

She felt for the poor ground-bound foal that lay sprawled on the hard rock atop a rocky pillar, and with another cry she called out to the little creature with a voice as wild as a hawks, as untamed and unbound as the sun in the sky. Adjusting the wings and shifting her weight the inky mare rode the winds as close as she could get without slamming into the column of stone, teasing gently by whipping up dust and frost all around the little life. She wanted to bring the youth with her, wanted to take the filly on her back and carry her off to gift her with a different perspective on life... But alas. Shadow was too small, and the babe belonged to the pitiable earthlings that carried no plumages or semblance of wings. Imposing on the privacy of the child the unkempt, thick-furred little pegasus drew in to land, tempted from the heavens just for a moment... maybe she at least would be able to hear why this girl had such a sullen look on her face.

"You should smile" the young dame said bluntly with her singing tune that spoke of foreign wild lands. "The day is too beautiful for frowns like that. Why is it that such a young and strong girl like you aren't out making mischief?" With a soft rustle of silk against silk the dark wings folded in on themselves and settled against dusky sides, while deep purple eyes studied the horned foal with unveiled interest.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Aiko Darleane Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The Heart Family
Aiko

"I am approached by one covered in midnight, her eyes the color of a dark flower, and it seems almost out of place for her to be in this desert of red and orange, with the red hot sun shining down on her thick black coat. She looks questioningly at me, asking why I am frowning and not out being more like a foal. I can feel myself being weighed down by adult issues even now, and I even frown at myself. Why am I not just out trying to make myself feel better, instead of sitting here pondering what to do on a useless topic? I turn to her, looking at her own stature of an adult, and a small smile creeps upon my soft lips. I give way a small giggle, thinking myself too silly still to be an adult, and thus I give up on trying. Though perhaps she could help me, maybe even talk out with me...but I'm sure if it will do much good."

'You are right, the day is bea-uti-ful, even in the season of...Frostfall. Though there is a reason why I am sad...my father has been missing since...what is it, Orangemoon?...and though I have tried to find him, all of my eff-orts have been no good. My father, I know with my heart and soul, would never leave me and my mother. He left us for a reason, but what it was I don't know, and said he would be back...he...he prom-ised. But why is he not back?'

"I struggled with my words, but does not keep emotion from flooding my heart. I sighed, turned back to vast expense of the deserts that surrounded the Southern territory. My throat started to swell as tears welled in my soft black eyes. What if he was in trouble, and no one was coming to help him?"

'This...is why I am not out playing. It is too much of a bur-den on my heartt. But it's ok, I think, hope he'll be backk s-oon. Tell me, whoo are you? I don't think I've seen you around, are you neww?'

@[Shadow]

"blah blah blah."

Image Credits

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan
Amethyst eyes gazed steadily down onto the little foal as she voiced her concerns, from beginning to end. Although seemingly impassive at the news of her fathers disappearance, the shadow felt her heart ache for the filly and her predicament. How well did she now now the worry and emptiness left after the loss of a parent? It settled like a void within her on a day one year ago, and even now it echoed through her soul, screaming to be filled once more.

But what could she do to aid this tiny little creature? Skuggi was new here just as the filly had guessed, she knew neither who the father was nor where he might have gone too, or what might have happened to him on his way. Did the Dragon's Throat have enemies, were there very dangerous lands to cross from here to.. wherever he had gone? She did not yet know. And so, in a feeble attempt at easing the worries of the horned lass the raven pursed her lips and gave the babe a stern look, one that was understanding yet determined.

"Your father is a grown up" she determined and shifted the wings where they lay against her sides, itching to take to the sky again. "He is stronger and braver than you by far, more than you will ever know, and he will know how to look after himself. Don't give up hope until you know for sure that there is none to have, girl." A smile took the edge off the scolding, hopefully making her words a bit soothing at least. Who knew what could have happened... But it made no sense to stop living simply because of the absence of another. If she'd thought like that, Skuggi would have been dead long ago.

"You are very right" she continued, aptly changing the subject away from what troubled the child. "I'm new, I was invited here by Cirrus not very long ago. This is a strange place, did you know? All this magic, all the strange horses with horns and without wings..." She interrupted herself hastily and gave the white-faced girl a quick glance, ticking an ear in apology. "I'm Skuggi, or Shadow as they say around here, daughter of Rökkur and Dögun. And your name is..?"

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed