the Rift

I'm Coming Home

Kodiak Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Kodiak cantered alongside the edge of the cliff, throwing his head from side to side in the light rain. His long, shoulder length mane slapping his arched, waving neck. He skidded to an abrupt stop, shattering his peaceful moment. "Wait a minute...Where am I?" Kodiak studdered, the young stallion had cantered for days, only to find a new home. This place seemed OK to him. He lowered his head to the rocky ground of the cliffside, flaring his nostrils in and out as he sniffed the ground. He lifted his flat, warmblood like face to the morning sky, feeling the cool mist on his muzzle. He lifted his tail in alert, there seemed to be no danger here. He could hear birds chirping, squirrels, and other woodland creatures scampering around in the tall looming pine trees overcasting shadows onto him. He collected his legs from their spread out, sturdy stance, to their regular collected position.

"But where are the others?"

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
( I know I'm not from the Edge but you looked so lonely! oh, and as a note, we try to keep our posts 200-250 words long - starters are always hard, so once you get to interact I think you'll be fine, but try to keep it in mind. <3 and as another note, I get the feeling you tried to set this as occurring in the Edge -- it cannot, as it has to be in the threshold forest, so I'll just play it that ;3 )

Sleet had turned to rain on a warm early-winter night, filtering down from a morning sky and chilling him worse than any blizzard could. Wet and intrusive it ran along his tall, rugged body, darkening his white fur to gray and stealing the warmth from his bones – he hated it, this southern winter, the danger the capricious weather posed. He hated the feeling of cold water next to his skin; he hated it, because he knew how dangerous it was. He'd picked the worst season for this kind of shenanigans (though, he was pretty sure he'd hate the Throat in summer, too), and it was wearing down his mood. Winter in the Heavenly Fields, above the Foothills, had been beautiful and perfect, pristine in its youth, but down here... Fog hung in the cold air, sticking to his skin, and it was with his hears pressed flat against his neck Mauja found the stranger.

He felt a deep need to make himself useful to Sumati, and the only way he could, aside from doggedly working the borders and avoiding other patrols (especially a certain short brown mare – gods smite him now if she found him), was by finding new blood. And new blood, you found in the Threshold, although the stallion he came face to face with was not what he had wanted. Knowing that wings dominated the red sands it was Pegasus blood he sought, feeling it safe to send them along south with a charming smile and a glint in his eye. Unicorns, or equines, he dared not, fearing he'd have to vouch for them.

But, ah, he was here anyway, that was futile to ignore, and he rumbled in wordless greeting. About twenty yards separated them, here were the mountains sloped highly just to the side, trees winding tall and as wet as he; they offered little cover against the cold rain, and Mauja forced his discomfort aside, luring a smile to his lips. "Hail, stranger, and welcome to Helovia. What do you seek here?" He couldn't send it to the Throat, he couldn't send it to the Basin (unless he felt like reminding the Plague of his existence by sending them a toy), and he was loathe to send anyone to the Edge.. nor was he sure it was mercenary material. Drifting to a halt, the regal stallion raised his head, watching the other closely.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Unregistered

[Thanks Neo! Sorry for the "shortness" of my last post, I was a little confused as to exactly how to start xD. But your advice was very helpful! I think my writing skills will really show and blossom more once I get into the RP more. So, I dont really care nescessarily where we are, It was just one of the options, so I picked Worlds Edge. :3]

The thick blinding precipitation drenched Kodiaks wiery coat. Turning it to a blur of abstract dark bearlike colour. However Kodiak despised the weather, It failed to reminded him of his peaceful, sleepy childhood in a similar land, which weilded cold fluffy, light layers of snow, and frost. But the rain, and sleet was what he hated, it slowly sinking its teeth into His bones. The knotty, twisted trees dripping large drops of icy mush into his usually flowing, light mane. Kodiak took in a deep heaving breath from his broad, chest as he begun to speak in his brilliant british voice, to the elegant, yet rustic, icy white friesian horse standing parallel to him.

"I have come is seek of a new home, a new life in this promising land."
The wet rain stung his desperate eyes as he looked up at the large stallion in anxious await or his response. He ogled at the stallion pure strength and stature. His longstrong legs, and elegant coat colour, and an icy blue horn protruding from his head. Something that was treasured in his old land [mostly containing equines] for its rarity, and pure beauty. Long feathers flowing from his ankles. And ebony spots scattered through the horse. His legs hold firm to the earth that seems to be trembling under him.

Ascended Helovian

[ No worries! ^^ And I think they (your skills) will, too - I've seen a lot of writers develop in this community. The World's Edge is one of four herd lands, and choosing that prefix indicates you want one of them to come recruit you, and it typically makes the other herds stay away from your thread. ^^ ]

Rain in winter was a curse, and it was an upbringing with that knowledge, in a harsh climate, that had hammered the dislike so deep into his heart. It was a battle not to tick his ears back and flatten them, or to ceaselessly lash his hocks with his tail, or in some other way give away his irritation – some part of him argued that it was raining, sleet falling in clumps from the boughs to splatter him and the other miserable equine, and there was nothing he could do about it. Being irked by something he couldn't influence would do him no good, yet he couldn't ignore it either, because of the very real threat it posed. Mauja's body was steaming faintly, but now that he wasn't moving anymore.. how much longer until he started shivering? Until his muscles and skin and blood became as cold as the rain?

You're an ice beast, damnit. He shouldn't have to deal with this, like some southerner, but fact was he had to. This winter had decided to throw cold rain at him, and not even someone bred to endure freezing temperatures could do much about that. Water simply was too effective at stealing warmth.

And it dripped off his horn, dripped off his clumped mane, ran down his forelock and into his eyes and whiskers. Gods blast it, he hated it, and it took every ounce of control not to let the irritation show. It even took so much effort that he barely looked at the stranger – didn't notice the anxious cast of his gaze, barely even the darkness of his pelt, he just stared per reflex at his face and let his eyes churn, untouchable and arcane. "Promising?" he grunted with a hint of black humor, throwing his blue eyes skywards in a rather clear gesture. "Promising to deprive you of life right now, I'd say.. damn rain." And he gave the stranger a half-smile, a lopsided kind of grin, and snorted; he shook his head, water flying everywhere from his long mane. "Best keep moving, lest we freeze to the ground. C'mon, I'll tell you of where you've ended up while we walk." With a motion of his head he indicated Kodiak should follow, and set off at a brisk path through the trees. Mauja had no intention of freezing to death because someone had decided to throw down rain, and if he could save an equine.. gods, he should just kick him in the head and leave him to his fate. Not quite yet...

"You're in Helovia," he said after a moment, pushing the other thoughts aside. "We're a land sometimes plagued by war, sometimes out of greed, sometimes out of necessity." What kind of war is yours, Mauja? He could feel Irma moving along somewhere, up in the air, trailing them at a great distance. "There's the Aurora Basin to the north, where only unicorns reside. The World's Edge to the west; they're a mixed band of moon-worshipers. Dragon's Throat lies in the south, a mostly winged herd, but they do accept others. And closest is the Windtossed Foothills, where a mercenary band called The Grey has taken up residence." He threw a sidelong glance at the stranger. "Anything catching your fancy?"

Unregistered

[Beautiful Post Neo! and thanks! also I just figured out I could edit my post and took the edge on the title off. :3

Kodiak saw that his counterpart, dreaded the cold icy mush hailing from the sky as much as he did himself. The Baroque Fresian almost seemed to be almost unfarmiliar with the weather, which the conclusion of Kodiak quickly dismissed from his mind, because of the icy pale blue frost which seemed to be attached to the stallions horn, and hooves, giving a feminine touch to his brawny, muscular body. The small brown stallion quickly took up a fast pace to keep up with his large welcomer. He too agreed that it helped the chilling teeth of the cold from grinding away at their bodies. As he joined the Stallion in his fast paced walk he begun to explain, "My fancy? Well I dont quite believe I could come to quite a conclusion without metting the lads? Don' you think?" Kodiak perked an ear as he looked toward the white Stallion.
"Well, I do not believe in judging other's from a 2 second explanation." The young horse explained. "You look like you've made your way around this land. Since Aurora Basin, and Dragons Throat are out of the question. Out of the World's Edge, and Windtossed Foothills, where do you believe I would be at best fit?" Kodiak questioned politely as he cocked an eyebrow. "...and if you dont mine me asking, but what is that fighting aout exactly?"
"By the way I don't believe I caught your name, mine is Kodiak."

Ascended Helovian

The only way to get out of the rain was to survive long enough for it to stop falling. It was a rather bleak thought, but it was how Mauja felt about, and how he had been taught to feel about it. Some of it had rubbed off on the stranger, because he was eager to walk, too, easily catching up with the taller snowbeast. Most of his attention remained on the horizon, eyes drifting across the landscape, occasionally tilting sideways to the dark stallion – but his ears flicked, showing that he was listening, quietly evaluating what he heard. At least he had a brain, this boy, not jumping to the first suggestion but rather thinking he couldn't quite, honestly, choose based on what little Mauja had given him. And that was true, Mauja guessed, but for him it was always easy coming here. Just say come to the Basin, blah blah, simply because they had a horn on their head, and try to make sure they didn't go anywhere else either. This.. well, how was he supposed to know where Kodiak would fit? As if he could make the choice any better for him, than he could for himself. Mauja snorted quietly and walked in silence for a few paces, sorting through the information he'd been given, the questions asked, even ignoring the common courtesy of dropping his name. He would, in time.

"You can go to the Throat," he clarified after a moment, feeling Irma wheel in the air somewhere high behind them. "But you would be quite alone on the ground, I think." It just wasn't a blanket ban, like the Basin had. Wear no horn and walk in, and it wasn't sure you walked out again. Hobbled, if you were lucky, not at all, if you were unlucky. "And how am I supposed to know where you fit best, Kodiak?" he said with a lopsided grin, giving him a pointed look before turning his attention ahead again. "But I will be honest with you. I'd rather you went to the Foothills, simply because I know one of their leaders. However, they are a mercenary group, meaning you'll fight or spy for hire. It requires a certain, ah, lack of morals, I would think?" Because, let's face it, a mercenary group would not survive long if they were picky with their contracts. Someone paid, and they did, no questions asked.

At least if they were anything like the mercenaries he had met before.. and trying to fit that together with Ophelia, opinionated and wise and beautiful in her sorrowful air.. it just didn't add up, and suddenly he understood some of Paladin's reserve at the idea. Was it Ktulu who was the wild beast, then? He saved the thought for another day.

"As for the war.. in the past, I got a feeling they were religious wars between the followers of the four gods – Moon, Sun, Earth, and Time. These days... there's been an Outcast band ousting a religious Order, a religious Outcast band ousting my old herd, though we settled elsewhere, and the latest was the Grey – the mercenaries – taking over the Foothills, because they needed a stable base of operations." He shrugged faintly. "And now, the Basin and Throat are, forgive the wording, at each others throats. The tensions are running higher again." Perhaps he'd dropped enough information to make Kodiak piece together that Mauja was part of the Basin, or perhaps he hadn't, but he wasn't about to lie about the situation either – or paint himself as the only villain in the neighborhood. Kri was as much to blame for the mess as he or Psyche were.

"And my name.. it is Mauja."

Unregistered

The rain stung his face, and muffled Kodiak's ears from hearing the lifechanging news the white stallion had to tell. "Well, Mauja..." Kodaik studdered with a pause. "...I will be candid you, I do not want to be held aloof from others by my absence of wings. Neither used by a bunch of mercenaries. And If the xenophobic Basin is engrossed by only one kind..." Kodiak Trailed off, realizing he was talking to a member of the basin. "I apologize for my boorish conclusion of your people Mauja." Kodiak said as he swung his head lowly, lamenting his interjection to the only one in this new world who has spoken to himself. The brown stallion took in a deep, regal breath, and continued his speech.

The Brown Stallion lifted his shattered blaze to the large friesian, and begun to speak. [b]"I would almost rather go to the Edge and be a moon-worshiper, over being used, or rejected by society." Kodiak breathed outward with relief as he had finally got his thoughts out to the stallion, as another enshrouded his brain, " If the war is over religion, and Gods, who do you worship, and call your own god?" The small brown stallion anxiously watched Mauja's face, awaiting some sort of positive reaction to his statement.

Ascended Helovian

Helovia was a hard nut to crack, and harder yet to sum up in a way that would make sense to a newcomer. How could you describe eons of history, history that he only had a vague inkling of, or the wonders of magic, of soul-bonds to companions, the fearsome wrath of gods and yet the tenderness some of them showed from time to time? How could you tell the nuances of a land, when it felt like you were describing colors the other had no way of comprehending, something they had never seen? Some came here ragged vagabonds driven from their old homes, some scorned princes or failed generals of war, some simply wandered, some.. he didn't even know. He'd seen so much come in through these trees, every one with a different story.

A harsh, snorted laughter filled the brief space where Kodiak trailed off, touching upon the subject of the Basin. Xenophobic, indeed. He was just here talking politely to an equine, wasn't he? The surge of bitterness faded, and the grin that replaced it was wan and weary. Mauja was used to such comments, such conclusions, and would not slaughter anyone over the accusations – sometimes he felt like a tired old parent correcting unruly, misinformed kids all the time, but if he didn't, they'd waltz around Helovia with their misinformed notions.

And hell would come around much sooner.

It was a saddening conclusion Kodiak came to, in Mauja's opinion, that he would rather go to the Edge than some other place. Heck, he'd even prefer him in the Throat under Kri, simply because the Qian was such a sore spot in his life, like a bruise that refused to fade. And the question of Gods... his black-rimmed ears flickered, and he wondered if he should spew out all the vitriol, but he kept it inside. "The God of Time and Spark is the patron of my Basin," he said wearily, shuddering with the memory of nothingness swallowing him up. What kind of lesson had Time wanted to teach him? Or had he simply wanted to leave Psyche alone in charge, for whatever reason? Mauja still wasn't sure he'd learned anything at all. "Though there's no love lost between us." Again, he shrugged midstep, easily leading the way east. "And I often wonder what past experience lead others to automatically assume we are xenophobic, or as most say around here, racist. Is it something inherently bad in wanting to live with your own kind?" A question, but he didn't pause for an answer.

"I once followed the Moon, but I'm afraid there's no love lost there either. So now, I follow no one in particular." And maybe he was better off that way.

Unregistered
Kodiak Table

Kodiak looked up at the stallion shamefully. His face, covered in snow, his eyes full of wisdom, and kindness. This Stallion was his welcomer, and in return how had Kodiak treated him, Not as a welcomer, thats for sure, Insulting his kind. Mauja was in fact a Unicorn, speaking to him, an equine. That had never came to Kodiak's mind when he made that rude, and untrue accusation of Mauja, and his homeland to be, xenophobics.Kodiak, did not know how to apologize for saying something so hurtful, and heartless, but he had nothing else to say but what came from his mouth. "I am sorry aout my comment about your homeland Mauja, I guess I got the wrong idea when you said the Basin was a place where only unicorns reside."

He took his eyes, off of the Stallion, as he continued to walk steadily, the icy snow packing deeply into his feet, freezing his coffin bones. Kodiak shook his drenched, partly frozen mane, and snorted the snow off of his face, and muzzle. The warmblood stallion looked around trying to change the subject, coming up with nothing to say, All The stallion could think of was his remark to Mauja, and where shall he end up, After all, Mauja has given Kodiak his honesty, by unbiasely giing Kodiak the background on all the herds, and groups. Kodiak lifted his head back to Mauja, who was walking beside him trough the seemingly infinite forest.

"Where do you think I should go Mauja? Where would I be treated as a being, not a tool, as every being in this land deserves, and Mauja, if you don't mind me asking, why aren't you in your homeland?'" Kodiak perked his ears toward Mauja, and slowly turned his head to face ahead of him. The Stallion just hoped he had not offended Mauja again.

Ascended Helovian

It was.. pleasing, somehow, to see the regret in Kodiak – to know that some were not beyond reaching, that they didn't cling so desperately to their notions of evil. And pleasing to know, that half of Mauja's bitterness came only from himself, and his perception of the world, his own inclination to believe others disliked him more than they did. There was hope, of some kind, to strike from deeper shadows, and he wondered briefly what bitterness he would sow in others one day.

But that was thoughts for another day; today, the thoughts were of rain and Kodiak, futures and homes, past and present. Mauja made a sound halfway between a snort and a grunt, vaguely amused by the apology. Had others ever apologized to him for assuming things? Smoke had showed up in the Edge, true, and Ophelia.. but Kri? Mirage? Paladin? Had they ever bowed their heads, and accepted his words of simply wishing to live with his own kind? They saw devils in them all but seemed disinclined to look further, and Mauja sighed quietly. "You're not the first, and you won't be the last, Kodiak. Don't worry about it." Perhaps it was a sad thing, perhaps it wasn't, but it was the way life was.

Silence claimed them for a while. Mauja was content to lead him west for a little longer, to let his thoughts order themselves, perhaps even reach some conclusion. The rain was still falling down, cold and miserable, and even if he didn't have the other to lead he would've kept walking anyway. He let his mind drift, touching upon nothing and everything, until Kodiak's voice snapped him back again. He turned his head as he walked to look at him; hadn't they gone over this already? "No herd in Helovia would claim to not care for their members," he rumbled quietly, flicking his wet tail against his hocks. It stung. "You could find friends in the Throat, as a mercenary you would be valued, and at the Edge, I think you would find the biggest blend of things." He shrugged. "I honestly don't know where you should go. You seem disinclined to go anywhere but the Edge, though." At least if his observations weren't entirely off track.

"This forest is called the Threshold," he went on in a steady voice, picking his way over the roots and rocks. "The newcomers to Helovia enter this way, like yourself, and members of herds and outcast bands frequently come here, looking for suitable members." He turned his head to peer at Kodiak, not sure if that was what the question had been. "If that answered your question?"

Unregistered

The brown stallion dropped his head as he ruminated over his decision. He blinked is frosty, cinnamon eyes, and swished his tounge around in his mouth. He felt the warm, fur of the Friesian striding next to him, it rubbed across the side of his barrel. "Thank you, and yes you have answered my question." Kodiak answered solemnly to Mauja. The warmblood lifted his head, and puffed out his chest. He felt the sting of the half frozen raindrops hammering his skin. Pounded, as if forcing an entry into his hooves. His neck stood arched, fighting its cold, vast enemy. "I have made my decision..." Kodiak muttered. "...I will Journey to the Worlds Edge. But how do I go there, to be accepted into the herd?" Kodiak asked hopefully as he slushed his feet through he watery snow. He swung his dark, mane blanketing his eyes to the side of his face. He slapped his tail to his side, splattering water across his lightning bolt marking. His head held collectively against his chest, and neck gracefully arched. His eyes squinting every time they walk through a deeper puddle, and it splatters up to the two stallions heads. Kodiak turned his head to look at the friesian stallion next to him, almost not wantng to part from him, for he was a truly kind soul.

Ascended Helovian

Water dripped down on his back, clearing pale rivulets from the carpet of dark mud staining his legs and belly. Each time either of them took a step it splattered up, sometimes flying higher, staining his throat; Mauja's ears fell back to his neck every so often before he forced them forward again. It wasn't that he hated having "his looks ruined" or something like that – he just disliked being dirty, just as he disliked being cold in winter. The only difference was that the latter was dangerous as well. Still, the dismal gray clouds seemed disinclined to clear up, and Kodiak's entrance to the grand Helovia remained positively drenched.

He took a page out of Deimos' book, and simply grunted in affirmation. If the thoughtful cast of Kodiak's eyes were anything to go by, he was thinking again, and Mauja was content to let him. It was, after all, an important choice, even if it didn't seem to be much of a choice anymore, merely finalizing what his heart already seemed to say, and speaking it out loud. And that was the reason Mauja's path carried them straight west, neither curving north to the Foothills nor south to the Throat, but simply straight west. His mind ran ahead of them, knowing the slope of the meadow and how it arced up, the cliffs covered in a carpet of green, the trees standing sentinel.. the cry of sea gulls, the briny wind blowing in off the sea, the mist clinging to your legs and the long, long drop into the ocean... His biggest regret was that he hadn't pushed anyone over that edge yet.

"...I will Journey to the Worlds Edge." And so, Mauja was not surprised at all, simply dipped his head a fraction as he led them down the path through the slowly thinning trees. "It is straight west of here, by the sea," he explained, his voice patient even if his eyes were on the horizon. "It truly is the edge of the world, and you don't want to fall off. Once we're out of the Threshold, we'll be on a huge meadow. Cross it, and keep maybe a little north – if you end up on the beach, you're south of the Edge." Much as he disliked sending members to his enemies, he was too .. honest? to do something else with them. He glanced at Kodiak.

"As for joining the herd, I don't know. Saying my name might make them angry, as I'm not exactly they're best friend, or it might serve to prove that they're a bit prejudiced against me and mine, too. I think they accept pretty much anyone, so just saying you want to live with them should be enough." Again he shrugged, a slight rise and fall of his snowy shoulders, and it felt like the thousandth time he shrugged during that conversation.