the Rift

[OPEN] A Long Trip Alone || Saffron

Adalaide Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

They had been close to edge of the Threshold and it took a very small time to reach the deep forest. I had continued to talk to her, continuing the conversation first started when I had walked up on her.

"Not any in the slightest. See I came here much like you did. I stumbled through the Threshold, lost and confused. The burning smell in my coat was heavily embedded but long faded now. See, I had escaped a fire. I ran away and somehow found myself here in Helovia. I took to myself as I don't feel as though its right to 'belong' to someone. However, as I learned more, I felt like something new needed to be started. I'm in the process of creating a group made from outcasts and herd members alike. The goal is to fight for equality and peace between everyone. To serve retribution and justice. But as you can see, I'm taking my first foal steps with this."

I sigh, continuing to walk. The dusting of snow is still below us and our hooves are leaving impressions behind us. However, along with these impressions is a slide of where my long black tail has been trailing behind me. My ice blue eyes flicker to her then nod with a sigh "That's not our only goals, though. I also want to provide a family and shelter for those lost souls seeking guidance. Whether it be temporarily or permanently. In return, I only seek alliance. " I shrug my broad and stout shoulders then continue to barrel through the snow as a new coating begins to slip through the thick trees.

We would continue to walk for as long as possible, then take a well earned rest. There was no doubt that the travel would be a few more days to reach to the place I wanted to be. We would be taking a rest here in the Deep Forest tonight, definitely. If we could get into some of the thickest parts, we could find shelter under thick tree branch groupings to escape the snow.

Saffron spoke of her own past and with that, my smile turned into a frown. My past was a happy one for the most part. The parting from my mother was something that could've been spotted from the getgo. I knew it had to happen and when it did, it was sad. I didn't mourn because I knew what lied ahead of me. Bull reigning was a passion and a dream of mine. Something that I had unfortunately, left behind.

However, instead of sorrow for Saffron, I felt a pang of anger. I hated those that pushed around the weak and young. Considering the fact that Saffron wasn't even a male and the stallion had chased her off was not only strange, but just plain asking for a beating. I turned my head sideways to stretch my neck, then relaxed my pinned ears. "If you ever see that stallion, please let me know. I would love to have a friendly discussion with him." My mood had been ruined by that, but I wiped the frown from my face and replaced it with my warm smile.

"So what do you like to do, Saffron? Or what did you used to like to do?"

"Talk"

Image Credits Crows

Saffron Posts: N/A
Unregistered
As they made there way Saffron listened to her more still staying close since it was getting harder to walk in the snow. She was tall so it helped but didn’t have as much muscle as Adalaide so just pushing her way thought was getting harder and harder. Once they had stopped Saffron relaxed more. She was warn out from it all. As soon as she felt that was where they where stopping she laid down in the snow. “At less its nice to lay in” She said and looked up to the other mare. She could tell she was unhappy about the past that she had said. Yet it all seemed to go away not long after. So Saffron went back to her thoughts about it all. She could stay with her and help fight for something. That’s what she wanted to help with a greater good. Besides that she knew that helping other horses like themselves would be good. It might even make her feel better about what happened. That was when she got snapped out of her thoughts. She looked up a smile coming to her lips hearing about the willingness to ‘talk with that stallion‘ . “Thanks you” She said and moved poking her shoulder again. “Really he got her ready with another foal….” She said, That was really what she didn’t tell anyone. She knew that and she that was why her mother didn’t come after her or stop him. Yet it was in the past and now was a new time. She blinked a little and looked. “What did I like to do?” She wasn’t sure about that. It took her a little time of thinking before she looked up. “I like to play…run with other horses and other little animals I used to do that a lot” She said and got up shaking off the shush and sniffing the snow. Saffron was still taking it all in but that was one thing that she still didn’t know what to make of. As she leaned down and licked it. “It melts!” She said and started to eat it a smile on her lips as she was making something fun for herself even if she was tired.

Unregistered

I smiled as she exclaimed that the snow had melted as she touched it. I assumed that she had never seen the frozen and crystallized particles of water for if she had, it would probably come as more of a nuisance than of enjoyment. I used to be much like her, but of course, I had been exposed to it when I was very young. Now it was simply something that made me become cold and wet. Needless to say, snow still held a beauty that I could admire.

"Snow. Small, tiny particles of frozen water that fall from the sky when the temperature is cold enough. Have you never seen it before?"

The question was innocent. Had she not, I had quite the treat for her consider that my eyes had spotted another thing a few feet away. I made sure my eyes didn't linger, that way I wouldn't give anything away. I moved my head around, searching with my eyes for some cover that had yet to have the ground beneath it covered in snow. My shaggy, winter coat provided some protection, but still.

When I found it, I snorted which turned the breath from my nostrils into winter's breath. It looked like a fine mist of smoke. The cover was from under a large pine whose needles were thick in quantity and still clinging on and whose branches were very large in radius and length. My 'treat' was also found near here.

"I've found where we will be resting for the night, Saffron."

"Talk"

Image Credits Crows

Unregistered
She pawed and poked at the snow getting it all over her nose. But mostly she ate it finding it still fun that was until her stomach was full and her mouth was cold. She then shook her long mane letting it fall back into place as some of the little bits of snow and ice came off. Once Saffron heard what was being asked she shook her head. “No I had never seen…snow…I don’t come from around here” With that she missed her old home but then again this one seemed to be a find fit for the most part. As she watch Adalaide move away looking at or for something. “What are you doing?” She called out getting up and shaking again more this time. Her whole body wigging with it as she moved thought the snow. Again making Saffron even more tired as she pushed to get over. Her nose flaring out as it also let hot breath into the cold making a mist behind her. “Oh we are staying here” She said and went over laying down under the tree. “It’s nice I like it…but did you see something over here?” Saffron asked as she looked on at the world around them. This new land was showing her so much already that now she was tired one both ends of the spectrum. Tired in the way of walking and in the new way of finding new things that she had never seen or felt before. Soon her eyes started to will her to rest yet she pushed to stay up wanting to know what came next. “Do you need rest?” It had to be asked, Saffron wouldn’t just lay down and let Adalaide take all the work. She knew they had to be a team in all of it. “I can watch for yes first and then rest later” Her voice showing that she wanted to help but her body unable to be brought to getting up.

Unregistered

"It doesn't last long, I suppose. Comes and goes with the seasons." My warm smile was still there, even though it was tainted with weariness. I had made it such a long ways and my eyes were beginning to droop. "Of course, if that gets you, perhaps you have never seen one of these before?" What came with snow? Ice. What came with both? Icicles.

I walked over, out of the cover of the pine tree. About 40 feet away was a branch with icicles lined up and down. My icy blue eyes scanned them all up and down, trying to find a reasonably sized on. Once found, I took my mouth and grasped it, feeling the freezing sensation upon my lips and tongue. My body heat was melting it and luckily, it didn't get stuck to my tongue. I was sure to keep my teeth away from it, lest I feel a pang running up my nerves.

I drop the icicle beside her but close to the edge of the cover of the pine trees, my black, thick tail trailing behind me. We certainly didn't need anything wet getting on us in these frigid temperatures unless we were welcoming sickness and death. My snowy white pelt descended onto the cold and frozen ground littered with pine needles. In response to her other statement, I chuckled with a weary smile, "No one will need to keep watch tonight. With this giant tree covering us, we'll be extremely hard to spot. Our monotone coats will blend in. We're at an advantage here and I doubt someone will be out in the snow looking for trouble. If so, they'll find it."

I chuckled once more, then put my weary head down, watching my surroundings as the lightness decreased in amount. I waited for any more questions she would ask. "You should perhaps get to rest. We both have a long day of traveling tomorrow with as little breaks as possible." My ears flickered in her direction, ready to speak at the first words that came from her mouth and ready to provide an answer.

"Talk"

Image Credits Crows

Unregistered
Saffron smiled back tired. “I-Icicles…what is that?” She asked as she watched Adalaide get something down. She couldn’t make heads or tails of it until it was close. Once it was she then sniffed it melting it a little. “Wow…its long ice” Saffron couldn’t do more then watch it and snorted like it would jump up to get her. Once she could tell it was going to move or anything would happen she licked it just enough to get it stuck on her tongue. She tired to get it off before jumping to her hoofs. Her long black tail up in the air as she moved around shaking her head to get it off. It took a bit before her hot breath and moving around helped melt it. As it fell it to the floor disappearing into the snow she turned to Adalaide and walked over. “It bit me..” She said as she laid down now all what Adalaide had said hit her. To get some rest and that they be traveling far the coming day, So she laid down where she was before her long milky coat fitting right into the snow that was around them. “Do they always bit?” Was the next thing out of her mouth as all the tiredness came back and she lay on her side more then on her legs. As she blinked and looked over to her new friend. “Okay I guess I will rest….but you maybe should too” She said before laying down fully. Her mane long enough to now cover her neck and some of her body keeping her warmer. After a couple of minutes of laying there Saffron’s head popped back up and smiled to the older mare. “W-Will you tell me a story” Yes it was odd request but she wanted to her keep talking as she slept. There was something that just didn’t make her feel right to sleep yet, or at less fall to sleep.

"Talk" Walk Think

Image Credits Crows

Unregistered

[[Apologies on the wait!]]

A story. How long had it been since Adalaide had told a story? Or even heard one for that matter? Oh, so long ago. It was a different life and a different place. Right there!

"There's a place far away from here. Very, very, very far away from here. No pegasus could fly it and no equine nor unicorn could run or swim to it. This place has rolling, green hills filled with the freshest and coolest of grass you could ever imagine. On a hot day, it cooled you off. Now, imagine this place having a giant... how do I put this... a giant ring in the middle. This ring is filled with dirt and is outlined by metal melted together to create a fence."

Adalaide sighed, her icy yet warm blue eyes looking out at the snow, carefully resting her head back down. "Inside the ring there is a creature called a bull. He is somewhat like a horse but he is much bulkier. He has more muscle on the front half of his body. On the sides of his heads near his forehead he has two large horns protruding far out. They're bone and cone like but they turn frontwards and protrude far out. He has a black coat, with black eyes and a black nose giving him a skull like blaze.

Now, imagine this bull is bucking another creature off of his back. This bull is angry and merciless. He is wanting to kill anything that moves because he thinks that it is a predator. This creature isn't a predator. The creature is simply wanting to ride upon his back for the fun of it. The bull doesn't understand this and so the bull finally bucks the creature off. The creature falls and is hurt and needs to be helped or else he can get killed. The creature cannot get up. The bull is charging this creature and has his long and sharp horns aimed right for him, ready to gore him.

There are other creatures around though. They know he can get killed. They have to save him so what do they do? They called a horse in the ring and let the horse loose. This horse is agile and quick but is also bulky. This horse possesses a long mane kept long for the sake of a distraction. The horse is running and circling the bull and right before the bull gores the creature, the bulls jerks up and heads for the horse. The horse is too quick and too agile, though. The horse distracts the bull. There is also a creature upon this horse's back. This creature has a rope and pulls the rope over the neck of the bull. The horse then quickly circles the bull, the rope's slack going around the bulls feet.

The creature on the back of the horse holds on and the horse lunges away, pulling with all the strength in her body and the rope trips the bull, making him fall in the dirt. She then proceeds to charge right at the bull and the hurt creature is able to get out of the ring. The bull gets up and runs from the horse, and into a metal box. The door is shut behind him and the work is done. The day is saved by the horse.

The horse is then taken out to a giant thing filled with rolling green hills and blue skies and clouds and she gets to relax and sleep. She awaits the next time she will be called upon to do it all again somethings happening differently every time. Sometimes, she is almost killed yet she continues to do it for the thrill."

Adalaide took a huge deep and heavy sigh. She remembered those things. She missed those things.

"Talk"

Image Credits Crows

Unregistered

(Its cool)

Saffron listened to the story her happy, playfully ways going away as her eyes blinking with how tired she was now, But the story kept her wanting more and yet it also made her miss the land. She had a life close to it being with others that would put odd things on her and then get on her back and cold metal into her mouth. At the time she hated it and wanted to be free with her mother and the other horses she had started to grown up with, But now she would go back to it and be willing to let them touch her in places that she didn’t want others creatures touching her before. Yet as she looked up again to her friend she knew it was gone and now her friend was also her family. But she wouldn’t forget it with any ease. It had also left something with her before hate now heartbreak. As she looked up out of her own thoughts she saw her friend also now seeming to wear the same look. She got up going over nuzzling into her and looking up. “I remember lands like that as far as I could see and even more, hills and trees the smell of other horses and odd things touching me….” She then blinked and moved closer trying to help her. Saffron felt she had to give back to the other mare, She had taken her and made her feel loved and welcomed. She had even given her a story that she had been wanting for a long time. Yet as she tired to help her eyes fell and slowly Saffron lowed herself to the ground. She got them opened again only to have them start to close on her. After a good fight to stay up her needs own and she laid to her side sleeping and dreaming of her old life and what might Adalaide life was like before all this. Saffron did wake up in the night and get up walking around a bit before laying back down as close as she could for the warmth of it but also just for the feeling of having someone there thought the night. As soon as she laid down she was out for the rest of the night, Her mind without thoughts or dreams just letting her sleep.

"Talk" Walk Think

Image Credits Crows