the Rift

[JUDGED] gilded blade;

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie

tell me that you want to dance, want to feel your pulse on mine
just treat me like a stolen glance of yourself.

[ Setting: Aurora Basin, along the lake side, which is slick with a layer of permafrost but otherwise is a level surface; Rules: 4 posts each with a closing defense. No magic/companions. Standard 72 hour reply rule. ]

She was beginning to wish she had never offered her services to the Basin, which would seem to be chock full of unicorns wishing to learn the talents of the sword but few who had ever actually used theirs. Her ears were held at a quarter tilt, facing the back of her cranium as she stood alongside the still, crisp waters of the lake, one leg cocked in ease as she waited for her trainee of the day to arrive, though her back was presented to the water to allow her to view the new mare's approach. She was aware that Zima was probably not the most cut out for this situation, but she did feel that there was hope for the bay unicorn despite her kind nature; Illynx felt a certain level of loyalty emanating from the femme, and such an emotion was a useful trait to have in a warrior. It meant that should her home or herd be challenged, Zima would respond with as much fervor as Illynx herself would, with little thought to the harm that may befall them.

She pondered this, finding that Zima had the potential to become not only a skilled soldier but also a valuable asset; her kind heart had first driven her to the decision of becoming a healer, but that heart had been altered by the words of their ebonite queen during the meeting, leading to Zima's ultimate choice to request training of Illynx. It was through this and this alone that Illynx had deduced the nature of the woman who she was to teach this morning, the golden mare thinking of how to best utilize and temper the fire within Zima's young and eager heart.

[ OOC: Finally. :'D I'll be replying to each of your posts as the spar starts to help you improve each one. Feel free to throw suggestions at me too! ]

Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Zima Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Zima walked with a quick pace to where she was going to meet Illynx, the mare who was going to train her for battle. There was a light permafrost on the ground, and a small breeze blew across the powdery white terrain. The sky was an ominous grey color, and Zima's light bay coat stood out against the white land. It was a beautiful day nonetheless. She scanned the area with blue orbs looking for the mare. Her body body was tense with both nervousness and excitement. Her quick breaths misted the cool frigid air. This was her first training spar, and she wanted to do the best that she could. She wanted to be able to fight for and protect her herd. It was a desire that burned within her. At first when she had come to the Basin, she had wanted to become a healer. But then she had heard the words of Psyche the lady of the Basin at the herd meeting, which had changed her mind immediately. Psyche had talked about other herds, and the threat that they posed. Zima didn't want to just lull around being dead weight; she wanted to be of some help to her herd. She needed to learn to fight, to become a soldier.

Finally, she spotted the deep brown mare. Her pace quickened, her hooves crunching the light snow. She smiled slightly in greeting. Her eyes gleamed with excitement.
"Hello.", she said her voice sounding soft, yet confident. "Thank you for offering to help train me today."

The sight of the bay mare arriving drew a thin smile across the darkened lips of the golden trimmed femme, her head swiveling to meet her gaze with that of Zima's as she approached. Illynx took the time now to size up the bay unicorn, already aware of the advantage she had over her in age, but noticing she had a few inches on Illynx and was also relatively well toned for being as young as she was. There had been no prior experiences between the two of them that could predict how Zima would act in the face of a battle, but Illynx had already gleaned from her a strong compassion and warmth towards others, and also a resonating loyalty, which could be indicative of a sound, inspired soul within the confines of her trim bay body as well as a firm constitution.

The mare with the golden lock took in the words of her trainee with her slight smile still in place, iridescent eyes observing the glitter of enthusiasm behind the deeply blue eyes of Zima. She tried to remember her first battle, whether or not such a light had been behind hers, and while she couldn't remember for certain she knew that she had been thrilled to begin her true life. The question as to whether or not Zima would be successful in this field, it remained unanswered, but the simple fire in her gaze made anything possible. "It is my honor to forge strength into our herd," she said, not sure whether or not she could call Zima a friend or equal, as she could the others of the Plague. This mare was far too light hearted to be easily spotted as material for their covert mission, but a good strong back to defend the Basin with was equally as crucial as deepening the power of the Plague, and Illynx had found that talkative and kind did not always mean they weren't racist; it may have been that she simply disliked the cheerful nature of others, enjoying the stoic and jaded as companions more than she ever could mares like Zima. "Just pay close attention and refrain from actually trying to kill me," the golden speckled femme chuckled, reminding herself mentally not to accidentally maim her pupil in the training exercise, merely bruise her. She washed the smile from her face, seriousness replacing the jovial expression as her ears lowered back defensively, head snaking low as she turned in a quarter circle about Zima's frame.

"And now we begin," the words escaped her mouth like a hiss, a cloud of mist streaming from her parted lips as the breath leaped from her chest, simultaneously her body lunging hard to the right so that her body was parallel to that of Zima, crown alongside her rump and horn extended just past the end of her tresses. In a graceful sweep, Illynx's delicately crafted head tucked low, her hindquarters rising upwards and to the right to aim her hooves at Zima's chest or upper front legs; she wasn't sure where she would hit her at, never having fought an opponent of this particular height, but she was sure that the blow was within range of a strike should the other mare be unable to dodge it in time. She spaced her fore-hooves slightly wider apart than she normally would for balance, sacrificing some of the speed of her attack in order to assure that the buck did not wind up throwing her to the icy ground.

As soon as her hooves met soil again, she abruptly swung her hinds counter clockwise behind her so that the pair of unicorns were now shaped in a sort of L, with Illynx's head aligned at what she hoped would be Zima's hip, had the mare not moved out of range after the bucking attack. The gold laced femme snapped her teeth at the flesh presented before her, hoping to bruise the tender tissues and muscles; in a fluid motion from the lashing with her teeth, Illynx's golden blade was brought down heavily, aimed for the flat part of the mares rump. She knew she couldn't use it's deadly tip in this situation, but the use of the horn was still something she would have to teach Zima; as far as the unicorns arsenal went, the only thing potentially more dangerous was magic, and in Illynx's opinion the blade they were equipped with at birth was the most substantial weapon given to any of the three races, one of the main reasons why she held such firm belief in the strength of her people.

"Your horn," she began, finding a free moment to speak and not expecting Zima to reply, her voice mildly exerted from her quick movement, "is your most crucial tool, without magic." As she concluded the strike with her horn, Illynx made a move to shuffle backwards and away, keeping her face turned towards Zima's frame as her rear end tucked low underneath her, moving her back about four feet and out of strike range of the other mare's rear hooves. She chose now to elaborate, "But it cannot be relied on solely and you must be careful - it will break if you are not." A grim thought of certain warriors who collected pieces of those they had defeated came to her mind, her own queen in the forefront of the faces with her mane decor of teeth and feathers, but also equines and pegasi decorated with the beautiful, slender horns of her brethren; she had also heard of an unfortunate few who had broken theirs in battle, overly zealous for victory. She would not let it happen to her, not with breath still in her chest, but she had also been warned early in her life; there was no way to assure what Zima's family had taught her before she came to Helovia.

[ Post 1 of 4 - Summary: Illynx moves forward and attempts a buck at Zima's shoulder/upper right foreleg; she then attempts a bite and subsequent horn attack to her hip before moving back a few paces. ]

Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Unregistered

As Zima approached Illynx, she tried to size up her opponent. She was slightly taller than the mare, so she could use size to her advantage. But she knew Illynx was very experienced, and had probably won against other unicorns much bigger than her. She was well well muscled, and trained to fight. Zima flicked her tail nervously.
" It is my honor to forge strength into this herd.Just pay close attention and refrain from actually trying to kill me,", Illynx said. Zima took a deep breath trying not to be too nervous. It wasn't like this was a real battle. This is partly what determines my future though. she thought to herself.

"And now we begin", Illynx said her breath misting the air in front of her. And without giving Zima more time to think, the mare lurched forward, so that she was parallel to her, and bucked, kicking out her legs. Zima tried to dodge the blow, but Illynx's hooves caught her square in the chest; knocking the breath out of her. Adrenaline coursed through her body, and Zima reared up gathering all her strength and lunged to the side, aiming her front legs in a powerful kick at Illynx's right front shoulder hoping to throw her off balance.

Illynx aimed a bite at Zima's hip, and hit flesh. Zima gritted her teeth with pain and anger. Illynx then brought her horn down on her rump.Zima tried to dodge the blow so that the mare's horn merely grazed her; not with the full impact. She then backed up a pace and feigned suddenly to the left side of the older mare hoping to trick her into thinking she was going to aim there. Then Zima lunged quickly to the right with all the power she could muster, and aimed the side of her horn at the tender part of the mare's neck hoping to bruise the flesh.

[Post 1 of 4. Summery- Zima rears up and aims a kick at Illynx's front right shoulder. Zima then pretends to go to the left trying to trick her, and then suddenly lunges to the right and aims a horn attack at Illynx's neck.]

Her quick approach had earned it's mark, the apprentice soldier not quite fast enough to avoid the hooves that dug into her chest; the heavy cloud that burst from Zima's lips in response told Illynx that she had knocked the breath from the bay mare, but surprisingly the younger unicorn kept in motion, missing not a single step despite the difficulty breathing. The impact in unison with the will of Zima sent a vibrant streak of emotion through Illynx, inspiring a pounding in her heart that she had managed to subdue up until this point. Causing pain was second nature to her, something she found immense pleasure in, and having succeeded at her first strike sent her head into a gingerly tempered battle lust; the corporal found herself having to restrain her urge to cry out, the resplendent call of a warrior in combat bit back into the rear of her throat.

Zima pulled back after the impact to her chest, fore-hooves rising to strike at Illynx's exposed shoulder as it drove past her. Good, she thought, finding Zima's instincts for battle in tact just as the hooves struck true; however, due to the momentum of Illynx driving forward to snip at Zima's croup, the heavy blow struck with less force than the bay had intended, but it was still enough to send a brightly stinging pain across her flesh. Illynx's front quarters slid a few inches under the impact, though not quite enough to knock her off balance, and she found herself joyously thrilled by the strength of her trainee, vigor further deepened by the blooming sensation of a bruise growing where the mahogany mare had struck.

There was little time to think, however, Illynx's mouth suddenly full of squishy, pliant flesh and her horn resonating with the slight connection it had made with the moving parts of Zima. Frosty breath streamed from their muzzles, the pair dancing in surprisingly fluid movements for the inexperience of her partner; Zima feinted to the left, Illynx's head twisting to follow her while her body remained stationary, her golden horn extended to intercept the slightly curved and ebonite appendage of the bay. However, instead of following through with the strike as Illynx had anticipated, Zima drove to the right with lightning quickness, her horn aimed to bruise Illynx's throat; shit, she thought, and quickly, Illynx rose into a rear and shuffled in reverse upon her hind legs, forelimbs striking out at the exposed shoulders of the Zima as her horn found it's place along her more heavily muscled and less vulnerable shoulder - already bruised. Once more, brilliant pain etched its way to the gilded mare's brain, a dark glimmer growing in her gaze as it was absorbed into her subconscious, aware that it would hurt much worse if Zima's aim had held true.

"Excellent!" she exclaimed for her raised position, a stream of mildly disconcerting laughter breaking from her lips, pivoting her upper half as it descended so as to throw her undamaged left shoulder into the right side of Zima, lithe frame streaking quickly through the air as her hind limbs pushed her with full momentum forwards and towards the right. She threw her head upwards just before she felt they would contact, chin tucked down to protect her jugular but still raised enough so that she wouldn't accidentally give herself a busted nose. Her hind end then swung around behind her so that mares would be standing with Illynx's nose to Zima's shoulder, her teeth reaching out to grasp the dreamily soft and supple flesh just behind the elbow, her head twisting maliciously as she did so; not quite hard enough to tear the flesh should she hit true, but certainly enough to cause intensive pain.

[ 2 of 4 - Zima's strike to Illynx's hip strikes and leaves a shallow bruise. Her attempt to hit Illynx's neck was diverted to the previously bruised shoulder as she rears to avoid, counterattacking with her fore-hooves and aiming for the upper shoulders/lower neck region of Zima. Upon landing, she propels herself forward and attempts to knock Zima off balance with her left shoulder, then brings her rear end around as she aims a bite to Zima's elbow. ]

[ OOC: So far so good. :D The only thing I can suggest is that we seem to lose Zima's personality in the battle, and as a firm believer in bonus points winning fights, it will get you places. :P ]

Unregistered

As Zima kicked out, she still managed to kick Illynx. Just with a little less force than she had wanted because of the older mare's driving motion to the side. Zima could feel her own heart hammering against her chest, and her nostrils flared; her quick breaths escaping as puffs of steam in the frigid biting air. The blow wasn't enough to make Illynx lose her balance but it did make Illynx's front end go slightly under the point of the impact. Zima attempted to trick the mare, but she was ready for it, and reared up to protect herself. Illynx's front legs hit Zima's shoulder, she felt pain erupt suddenly in that area. But then Zima's horn hit Illynx's heavily muscled shoulder, and satisfaction coursed through her body.

" Excellemt! ", Illynx exclaimed, and Zima practically glowed with pride in the moment. She was actually doing alright! But there was not a moment to spare to think. As Illynx started to land, she threw her left shoulder at Zima's right side. Seeing what was coming, Zima dived quickly to the left, but was not fast enough to escape the full force of the blow.Momentarily unbalanced, Zima took a pace back as not to slip on the icy ground. Illynx then swung her hind end behind her and bit the tender flesh of Zima's elbow. Zima hesitated, an intense pain hitting her suddenly. She then sped up again, lifting her front legs just slightly off the ground, and attempting to ram them with full force into Illynx's flank, where she hoped they would hit. She then swung her head back her ebonite horn flashing through the air, and attempted to bring it down on the mare's back. She then took a small step back as not to slip on the ground.

[Post 2 of 4 Summery- As Illynx throws herself at Zima as she lands, Zima dives out of the way and manages to escape the full force of the blow, but still becomes unbalanced, and has to take a pace back for a moment to regain her balance. Illynx the bites the tender flesh on Zima's elbow, and creating a bad bruise. Zima then lifts her front legs slightly off the ground, and attempts to ram the. Into Illynx's flank. She then throws her head back, and tries to bring her horn down in an attack on Illynx's back]

The force of Zima's horn upon her shoulder was dulled away by the impact of her own dark hooves upon the bay flesh of the other mare's upper shoulder, her pleasure at inflicting pain roused once more as she felt the tissue buckle beneath the pressure of her attacks, her shoulder making good impact with the curved horned mare's body despite her attempts to thwart the onslaught, throwing Zima slightly off balance and forcing her to take a step back to hold all four hooves on the ground. So much for being bigger than me, perhaps the very thing that had allowed Illynx's shove to be effective, though there was no time to think about it just now; a russet elbow was now clenched between her teeth, tasting mildly of sweat, forcing the scent of the other mare into the gilded femme's nostrils. Illynx found she already smelled like ice and conifers, a pleasant overlay to the salty odor permeating through her thickened winter pelt.

She spat a mouthful of bay hued hair to the frozen ground as Zima launched forward, her front limbs elevated a few foot from the earth and aimed to slam themselves into the older mare's ribs. Fortunately for Illynx and unfortunately for her opponent, Zima's first attack shoved her a good distance to the side, Illynx spreading her gold dipped legs wide under the force of impact in order not to topple over, the other unicorn's size being an advantage in this situation and over powering the golden mare's balance and low center of gravity; a trail of molested and upturned soil followed the trek of Illynx's round hooves to where she now stood, her hindquarters some foot and a half from where the grass turned into shoreline alongside the lake, a shallow ache rippling through her ribs. She hadn't realized that they'd drawn so near to the water, her brain flitting to the sounds of the water she couldn't see for but a brief moment before the tip of Zima's curved horn ran a rough line down her side.

Her golden eyes narrowed savagely, a snort breaking from her blackened nares as a slender welt rose up on her plushly coated body, and silently she blessed the season; if it had been summer, there would be blood running in a line down her rib cage where her thick winter coat had protected the skin. Her heart raged within her breast, demanded that the other be re-paid for their slight - didn't I ask her not to kill me? She was suddenly taken by the desire to repay the damage to her beautiful skin rather than just deepening her purpose within the Basin, beyond just training young Zima, despite her faintly audible conscious thoughts that it had probably been a novice's accident. Her hindquarters spun around, taking advantage of Zima's step back, the right side of her body now nearly parallel to the large lake in the center of the mountain clearing, rear limbs lashing out behind her towards Zima's chest, upper legs, face - whatever happened to be there as the blows struck out, the muscles in her shoulder protesting slightly as she pressed her entire weight upon it. As soon as all four limbs were back on solid ground, Illynx bolted forwards and to the left, attempting to keep her body as low to the ground with broad steps as she could for balance as she galloped in a half circle, a dual purpose motion; it would force Zima to recover ground or be driven to the shore and later the lake itself, as well as provide room for an attack. Her fore-hooves raised upwards as she closed in, the points pulled together so that both hooves were side by side, their spade like point aimed for Zima's stifle or lower hip, both very soft and sensitive to bruising, preparing the rest of her muscles to move into position to limit Zima's chances of retreating from the waterline.

[ 3 of 4 - Zima's shove attack hits, pushing Illynx back a fair distance and causing the horn attack to lightly graze her side, raising a welt as well as her temper. :P She turns around and aims a buck to Zima's chest area, then moves in a quick circle around to Zima's hip region, aiming both her front hooves at the lower area of her hip. ]

[ OOC: Had some trouble figuring out placement to describe the lake in this one. I used to use paint but I have recently discovered that reenacting the fight with model horses is way more fun and just as informative and helpful. :D Just thought I'd share. :3 Oh and much better in this one, Zima is so sweetly innocent I just love it. ]

Unregistered

Zima lifted her front legs, and shoved at Illynx's flank. The other mare got pushed back a fair distance, and Zima was practically glowing with pride. She had never imagined herself doing this! She had never thought of herself learning something new! As she aimed her horn at Illynx's back she felt it lightly graze the skin.As Zima took a step back, she noticed her mistake a moment too late. Illynx had taken advantage of her position, and turned so that the right side of her body was practically parallel to the large powdery white lake. She bucked, kicking out at Zima with her extremely powerful back legs. Zima tried to get out of the way in time, but she was a second too late. Illynx's hooves hit the upper half of both her front legs. The strong impact almost made the young mare buckle to her knees, but she managed to keep upright. It would probably leave a large bruise, and as it was her
legs were starting to throb.

As soon as Illynx landed, she bolted forward to the left so fast Zima could barely track what she was doing. She galloped in a half circle, forcing Zima to step back a number of paces to get out of the way, bringing her closer to the lake. Illynx then lifted her forelegs and lashed Zima in the tender lower hip. Zima jumped back, her breaths quick, and she gritted her teeth against the intense pain that coursed through her body. For once real rage gleamed in her usually innocent dark blue eyes. Her pain just angered her more; egging her on. She reared up on her hind legs, and lashed out her forelegs aiming all her strength at Illynx's rib-cage, or possibly lower stomach. She then quickly attempted to ram her horn into the mares upper hip.

OOC: Illynx's buck hits the upper half of Zima's front legs, almost unbalancing her. Zima is forced to move back a few paces closer to the lake. Illynx's fore hooves hit Zima's lower hip area, causing a bad bruise. Zima then rears up on her hind legs and aimed her forelegs at Illynx's rib cage or possibly lower stomach. She then aims the side of her horn upon the mares upper hip.

Illynx felt her small hooves meet the hard front of Zima's upper limbs, a smirk spreading thin across her charcoal black muzzle, accutely aware of how bright that particular pain was. She felt highly vindicated, in the terms of her pelt, the light weakening of the bay mare's stance in reaction to the new bruises deeply satisfying to the golden trimmed corporal. As she streaked around to attack Zima's hip, the mare tilted a brightly hued eye to observe as Zima's pride at having succeeded in her own attacks was washed away by the sensation of hoof upon flesh, her already devious grin growing all the wider in her sadistic enthusiasm; even as she rose her forelimbs to strike at the supple flesh of Zima's hip she found herself driven by this elation, the hot blood rushing through her pounding heart as good as war drums and equally as intoxicating.

The spade like assault that the delicately crafted female had charged Zima with struck true, her heart hammering just a little bit harder as the mahogany femme moved back from her a pace as the pain coursed through her muscles, a small voice in the back of her head finally heard over the din that had been roused when her flesh had been welted by Zima's horn, reminding her that this was all a game, and not a rated match at that, either; it was liable that the bright flames that erupted in Zima's eyes as she turned around, the corporal assuming that she had realized she was being driven back, but even so, the fire itself incited other fevered emotions within the woman as they danced about each other. She found it invigorating to have broken through the thick porcelain shell of kindness that seemed to be permantly painted upon Zima's surface, and while this new skin was much less likable to some, Illynx found her all the more welcome in the Basin for it.

Zima moved towards her barrel, her anger making her quick and powerful, her raised fore-hooves landing one-two upon the region behind her elbow joint, a bruise seeming to connect itself to those pre-existing on her shoulder, and deeper than any of the marks she had recieved so far. Still charging, however, her rage seemed to have gotten the best of her; Illynx smiled almost benignly as she moved her hind-quarters out of the way of the incoming horn, leaving about two and a half inches to spare as Zima's lowered blade breezed past Illynx's rump. The older mare responded with her own weapon, graceful and well muscled neck curving her head about to strike hard upon the other mare's hip, hoping to hit home along one of the other bruises to further intensify the discomfort which she had already caused with her teeth. As soon as her horn should have struck the passing flesh, the small unicorn rose up on her hind-legs at a quarter rear, brightly lacquered legs lashing out at the same hip before she landed. She made a few steps back, sore muscles protesting and steamy breath billowing in clouds from her nostrils as a loud snort broke the air, her pinned ears raising from where they had been nestled in the black strands of her mane.

[ 4 of 4 - Zima's kick to Illynx's ribs hits just behind her elbow, though the horn attack is dodged. She then aims a horn attack to Zima's hip, followed by a blow or two at the same hip. ]

[ OOC: Just closing defense and we're done! Whew. ]

Unregistered

Zima snorted, her breaths getting quicker, and though the day was crisp and cold, sweat gleamed on her light bay coat. Her heart hammered against her chest, and her lungs started to burn, from breathing in the frigid air. Her two front legs hit Illynx behind the elbow, and she felt tender flesh sink beneath her hooves. Satisfaction coursed through her yet again. As she lunged to the side though, the more experienced mare dodged her horn attack. Zima snorted with annoyance. But there wasn't a single moment to dwell. Illynx swung her horn at Zima's hip. She tried to swing out of the way, but Illynx's horn managed to still hit her. Then the mare reared up on her hind legs, her horn flashing, and landed on the hip she had just hit. Zima had tried to dodge out of the way, but wasn't fast enough. She felt light headed as a brilliant pain etched through her body. This hip had been hit many times, and would have many bruises, many on top of the other.

Her hip was throbbing, as another bruise went to take form. Steam billowed off of her heated body into the crisp air.She took a step back, eyes flashing in anger. Just as Illynx landed, Zima shoved herself at the mares side, hoping to throw her off balance. She then lowered her head, her ebonite horn flashing, and tried to ram it against the front of the mares legs, or at least the lower chest area.

OOC: sorry for the wait!! :( Life had been crazy

Summary - Illynx's horn attack to Zima's hip hit her. Her second blow at the same hip also hits, creating another bad bruise. Just after Illynx lands, Zima shoves herself into her side hoping to throw her off balance. She then aims her horn at the top of her front legs, or at least the lower chest area.

Illynx
[ OOC: If you ever have trouble posting before a deadline ends you can always PM the person you're fighting/doing whatever with and ask for an extension. :) Most people will give them so long as you have a good reason (i.e. not "I didn't feel like it." xD) that way you don't have to panic about imaginary pony battles on top of RL stress; I say most people cause I know very few roleplayers that would rather get a default win over a finished thread and possible loss, and I'm one of 'em. I got so nervous yesterday when last I looked you hadn't replied! Inwardly I said noooooooooo Dx and today I came on and said HOORAHHHH! 8D Lol. ]

Sweat had begun to gleam upon Zima's blood hued coat, the wear of the battle harder on her untrained and young sinew than it was on older and already battle hardened Illynx; the golden trimmed mare had yet to feel the cool air strike any moist areas of her body, the only location that had gathered any perspiration being the skin that folded in on top of itself around the bend of her elbows and where her stifle met her barrel. She was proud of this, but knew also that the cold in combination with a fresh layer of sweat could be dangerous once their rapid movements ceased and they were left standing in the brisk winter air, yet another wonderful reason aside from sore muscles to take a relaxing bath in the hot springs before retiring to a good long rest.

There was not much time to think about delightfully warm baths, however, the mare returned to reality by the slap of her horn upon the hindquarters of her younger opponent, the blow just narrowly striking the other mare as she tried to evade the sweep. Illynx smiled approvingly, already seeing great promise in the fresh soldier as she bullied her way through the surely painful collection of bruises she had collected upon her hip, the gold dipped limbs of the corporal adding on to the mark from the horn with her front hooves in fluid time. Her own muscle, just behind the elbow joint, begged softly in the corner of Illynx's mind for the battle to be finished, a mild annoyance to the femme who had expected entirely at the beginning of the spar to walk away unscathed; once again, however, she had been proven wrong about her presumptions of others, having believed Zima to be too soft hearted for such a field. Then again, this was only a practice spar, and Illynx knew well enough the difference between a friendly banter of a battle and a true combat situation, something the young bay unicorn would learn in time, should she continue on her current path. The soft heart of the young soldier had only just begun to be tempered and molded into a true sword, and while she may be agile and intelligent enough to hold her own in a friendly match, she very well may be unable to take a life.

The youth took a step away from the mare with the golden lock as her front end was still airborne, the pair both radiating tendrils of steam from their heated bodies, Zima's eyes nearly black with rage as she squared off, preparing to launch her final bought of attacks at the corporal. Illynx's golden gaze met with hers as her fore-limbs came to ground, though she had little time to brace herself against Zima, who quickly closed the space between them and slammed her slightly larger frame into that of Illynx, the shorter femme wobbling despite herself, limbs spreading wide and clutching with what hold they could muster to the earth. The spitfire of a unicorn took note as she slid across the slick grass that Zima rather seemed to enjoy slamming into things, a trait that would serve her no good in a battle against an opponent much larger than she was to Illynx. The younger unicorn, after having made impact, then moved quickly counter clockwise, her head lowered for a horn strike; the glossy black and curved weapon caught the light, flashing a bright bead of the sun into Illynx's golden gaze, a loud curse erupting from her lips as her head ducked down quickly to remove the blinding glare from her eyes.

It served its purpose, however, her horn intercepting that of Zima's so that the blow directed towards her lower legs struck high on her chest and with much less impact, a loud crack breaking the serenity of the air as the two weapons met. A vibration spun up the length of her blade and made the front half of her face tingle oddly, a sensation that Illynx had never grown completely used to, no matter how many times she used her horn to strike hard surfaces. Once the hum in her most treasured appendage subsided (a matter of a second and a half, if you are curious), she spun hard and away from Zima, her breath rising from her nostrils in vast plumes of misty fog. "Enough!" she said, her ears rising from their flattened position atop her crown and head snaking low, "That should be quite enough for now."

[ Closing Defense: Zima shoves Illynx successfully, throwing her off balance, and the subsequent horn attack to her chest temporarily blinds her, making her drop her horn which just happens to intercept Zima's, directing the blow to her chest and without as much impact as initially intended. And then she sorta...pirouettes on out of there. xD ]
if I only could make a deal with God.

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official

I l l y n x | Z i m a
- - - - -
By my verdict ILLYNX is the winner.
Illynx receives 1 VP.

ILLYNX -- post 1 (attack only)

[Realism]
- 1| Borderline Powerplay: "...lunging hard to the right so that her body was parallel to that of Zima, crown alongside her rump and horn extended just past the end of her tresses." -- You may only attempt to align your body with Zima, as it is up to your opponent whether or not she allows you close. A simple rewording of this would save you the penalty point.
0 | Attack: Kicking toward the right. If Zima lunges right, then she would be need to kick left to actually hit Zima. I awarded you a 0 instead of a -1 because of the immense detail in slowing of speed and body adaptations of the attack.
- 1| Attack: Biting toward the flank. This attack is fine, but again you got the directions wrong! Illynx moved right, which means if she turns her rump clockwise (left), her hind will end up facing Zima's rump, and not her face, making this attack impossible.
+ 1| Attack: Horn-slap. Direction inherited from the last attack, so I won't penalize you twice.
- 1| Borderline powerplay: "...moving her back about four feet and out of strike range of the other mare's rear hooves." -- This is essentially robbing any opportunity for a counter-attack by your opponent. Zima may be quick enough to kick out and hit Illynx, so you may not place yourself outside of her striking range. You may only try, as in the last one.
- 1| Penalty: Over the 800 word limit.

[Prose]
+ 1| Easy Read
+ 1| Emotion
+ 1| Flow

ZIMA -- post 1

[Realism]
- 1| Injury: Kick to the chest. This is not an injury you should have taken, as your opponent kicked in the wrong direction. On top of that, I am not sure how they can be parallel and Illynx's hooves would hit on Zima's chest unless they hooked around in the opposite direction they are supposed to go. This would hit the shoulder most likely, assuming the attack was in the right direction.
0 | Attack: Rearing toward Illynx's right shoulder. I was a little iffy on whether or not this was possible, but I think you just got the direction wrong, since Illynx was turning her body too. It should be the left shoulder of Illynx, if her movements in the original post would have been correct.
+ 1| Injury: Bite to the left hip. Not as much detail in damage as I would have liked, but good enough to give you the point. I struggled with whether or not this would be possible too, but assuming she is still rearing, her hip may be within Illynx's reach.
0 | Defense: "Zima tried to dodge the blow..." ...How? You never explain this defense, so I cannot award you the point.
+ 1| Attack: Horn attack to the neck.

[Prose]
+ 1| Easy Read
0 | Emotion: You wrote words like "angry" and "nervous", but I didn't feel these things from Zima.
+ 1| Flow

ILLYNX -- post 2

[Realism]
+ 1| Injury: Hooves to the shoulder.
+ 1| Defense: Rearing to redirect the horn to the shoulder.
+ 1| Attack: Kicking toward Zima's shoulder with front hooves.
0 | Attack: Throwing her left shoulder toward Zima's right side. This is all well and good, except you put this: "...her hind limbs pushed her with full momentum forwards and towards the right." Illynx is moving left to throw her left shoulder, not right.
- 1| Borderline Powerplay: "Her hind end then swung around behind her so that mares would be standing with Illynx's nose to Zima's shoulder..." -- Again, you impose this positioning on your opponent. Watch your wording!
+ 1| Attack: Bite aimed behind the elbow.

[Prose]
+ 1| Easy Read
+ 1| Emotion
+ 1| Flow

ZIMA -- post 2

[Realism]
0 | Injury: Taking kick to the shoulder. Pain is mentioned, but not the detail of the injury itself. Bruise? Scrape?
0 | Defense: Diving left to try to escape the bump. Again, no damage described. No mention of pain this time either. Also, I wanted to note this bit of physics to you. In the case of momentum, it is wiser to throw yourself into the blow. Your opponent has less time to build up momentum, and therefore does less damage. Only try to get away if you can escape completely!
+ 1| Injury: Bite behind the elbow. Lackluster in description again, but bites are usually self-explanatory with bruising.
- 1| Attack: Ramming front hooves into Illynx's flank. Illynx and Zima are facing sort of perpendicular during the bite, with Illynx just behind Zima's shoulder. Rushing forward would not bring Zima's hooves toward Illynx's flank without a turn, which you do not mention. No mention of which flank you are after either.
0 | Attack: Horn slap to the back. Positioning inherited from the last attack, but your aim is too vague. The back of the horse is a large area, so I would like a bit more detail. Near the withers? On the spine? Closer to the rump?

[Prose]
+ 1| Easy Read
+ 1| Emotion
+ 1| Flow

ILLYNX -- post 3

[Realism]
+ 1| Defense: Utilizing the shove from earlier as a nifty defense against this first kick. The original aim being for the flank (albeit incorrectly), I think this was good to redirect it to her ribs considering the movement.
+ 1| Injury: Rough scrape down the side. Double-edged sword from the last defense, but an accurate movement of damage.
0 | Attack: Kicking out toward Zima's front end. Because you used the lake which was not formerly mentioned in this battle, really, to position yourself, I had little idea where you were when considering Zima. She failed to mention which side she was attacking, so "with my right side facing the lake" does not really help me figure out which direction Illynx's hind end is moving. Even "moving my hind end to the ____, bringing my right side to be parallel with the lake" would help me imagine this. I am assuming the rest of this attack is plausible, but give me something to work with next time!
+ 1| Attack: Kick to the left stifle.

[Prose]
+ 1| Easy Read: Lack of directional components at parts, but overall okay. It was a close call, though.
+ 1| Emotion
0 | Flow: At the beginning of this post, you jump back to an attack by Zima that happened in the first round, and I was a lost, confused chicken for about 5 minutes, which interrupted the flow of this fight.

ZIMA -- post 3

[Realism]
0 | Sidenote: Illynx takes Zima's shove to the ribs. You write this: "Zima lifted her front legs, and shoved at Illynx's flank. The other mare got pushed back a fair distance..." -- I wanted to point this out, for the sake of anatomy. The ribs do not extend to the flank. The flank is a specific part of the horse's anatomy, pictured an labeled here. AND, here you can see how far the ribs extend. I just want to make sure you know the difference between them, and watch your anatomy carefully in fights. We have several resources for anatomy on site under Guides.
+ 1| Injury: Kick to the top legs.
+ 1| Injury: Kick to the lower hip. Better to take damage to the hip than the stifle.
0| Attack: Rearing toward the ribcage/lower stomach. No mention of which side you are attacking.
+ 1| Attack: Horn jab to the upper hip. Direction inherited from the last attack.

[Prose]
+ 1| Easy Read
+ 1| Emotion
+ 1| Flow

ILLYNX -- post 4

[Realism]
+ 1| Injury: Kick to the ribs just behind the elbow.
- 1 | Defense: "...as she moved her hind-quarters out of the way of the incoming horn..." I do not believe Illynx would have enough time to move her rump out of the way in time from this attack. Illynx's forward momentum ended when she connected with Zima's hip and then the ground, or at least that is how it is written. Then, Zima's rear hits, giving her the push of downward momentum and speed toward Illynx's rump. A quick sidestep would probably spare the jab, but not a the cut entirely.
0 | Attack: Horn slash toward Zima's hip. No mention of which side you are attacking.
- 1| Attack: Quarter rear toward the hip. Direction inherited from the last attack. Quarter rear + taller opponent = hitting a leg, not a hip. Your aim is too high.

[Prose]
+ 1| Easy Read
+ 1| Emotion
+ 1| Flow

ZIMA -- post 4

[Realism]
- 1| Defense: Attempting to swing out of the way, but still taking the horn to the hip as originally aimed. Vague description and no mention of pain.
0 | Defense: "Trying to dodge", but not repositioning the hit at all. Good description of pain.
0 | Attack: Shove toward the side as Illynx lands. No mention of which side you are attacking.
+ 1| Attack: Trying to bat at Illynx's chest/front legs with her horn.

[Prose]
+ 1| Easy Read
+ 1| Emotion
+ 1| Flow

ILLYNX -- post 5 (defense only)

[Realism]
+ 1| Defense: Allowing Illynx to be moved by the shove, bracing herself by spreading her front legs.
+ 1| Defense: Throwing her head down to unwittingly block the horn strike.

ILLYNX

[Bonus]
+ 1| Breed Comparison: You are mindful of the size difference between Zima and Illynx through most of the fight, but I would to like to have seen more understanding of how Illynx could have used that advantageously in this battle.
+ 2| Surroundings: You are forever inclusive of surroundings in your posts. You use it for better footing, lighting, and in strategy. It was a delight to see how you used ordinary scenery to your advantage!

[Injuries]
None.

[Creativity]
+ 1| Innovative, fluid, and smart defenses. You are always good at incorporating them.

Comments: I can tell you have not faught in a long while, as a lot of your mistakes are just from sheer rust around your gears. Stay mindful of the 800 word limit. You struggled with borderline powerly often in the beginning, and toward the later end of the fight you never, ever incorporated direction of motion, which led to a lot of confusion. You write wonderfully, and your prose is often the greatest part of your battle; the bonus points, frankly, are what won you this battle. I think you use defense ingeniously, and it is your strongest point. Work on over detailing movement like you do surroundings, and you will be set. Good job!

ZIMA

[Bonus]
+ 1| Surroundings: The cold is mentioned, as well as footing often. You did not ever really utilize it to your favor though, so I couldn't give you the second point.

[Injuries]
None.

[Creativity]
Nothing of note.

Comments: You struggled with emotion during this fight. Even in the posts where I did not dock off for it, I felt like it was forced a lot of the time. I know that it is easy to slip into mechanics, but try to asking yourself "how would Zima feel about fighting her Corporeal?" I would probably be nervous, scared, and then also have pangs of guilt for injuring a fellow herdmate (if I were a horse). You dropped directions hard as well, much like your opponent. Directions help keep the judge and your opponent on the same page. I was confused a lot of the time, and I had to reread a lot. I think you take too much damage, to be honest. Often we have new people who dodge every single attack, but you just took them. You had vague "attempts", but then never redirected the injury. Without defense, you are missing out on half of the battle. I look forward to watching you improve! Good job!

TOTAL
Illynx - 69
Zima - 66

Image Credit: dirkjankraan @ Flickr