HALCYON [open]

Anthe Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[Image: EtzwpI4.png]
my dear old friend take me for a spin,
two wolves in the dark running in the wind

ANTHE x OPEN FOR ANYONE x 667 WORDS
Memories of the ocean danced across her mind. They were far in the past, flickering in and out of her sight and leaving teasing reminders of what had once been. Recalling the first time she’d sunk her hooves into the soft white sands on the shores of her birthplace, Anthe could feel a whisper of the sun warming her back and if she concentrated hard enough, she could taste the brine of the ocean flavoring her lips. She’d been less than a year old the first time her pale eyes had touched the cresting waves and endless planes of the nameless ocean that stroked the edges of her homeland with a lover’s touch. There had been awe struck deep into her young heart that day. Never had she seen something so vast and so alive for although she was born of the skies, the heavens did not breathe with the same power that roared off of the ocean. Amazement, however, did not paralyze her for long and she could remember rushing to meet the waves as they reached across the beach to embrace her. She had frolicked and played for ages like any child would – for how does a child experience something without fully immersing themselves in it? Even when she’d left the shores (not for long, Anthe had returned to her beach every day until the one fateful day when she was no longer there to return to it), the ocean stayed with her. The awe that had wormed its way into her heart had grown with her, built until it was no longer a child’s wonder but instead a woman’s lust. Yes, Anthe could not remember the ocean without being reminded that the ocean had given birth to her. It had molded her and shaped her and sent her on her way thousands of miles from home on a quest that would continue even after death so long as one could find adventures in the afterlife. And that was the funny things about memories; they started in one spot until they consumed you and took you in unexpected directions.

Visions of the ocean diminished and Anthe tucked the memories back in her mind, safe and sound until she should call them to her again. It had been weeks since she’d last caught a glimpse of the waves glittering under the heavy sun. She missed the ocean dearly, so she held tight to the reminders of it and bravely bore the accompanying memories that tagged along, rising like corpses from their graves in the shadowy corners of her mind that she rarely dared to touch. It hadn’t been long since she’d landed from flight, forced down by the aching fatigue that had settled into her muscles and weighted down her wings like heavy stones. The land below proved to be vastly different from the summery images of the beaches that she’d been reminiscing. Frost clung to everything, turning the world a wintry white that perfectly matched her body. As she stepped into the trees, the ground beneath her crunched and shifted and she found herself pulling her wings tight across her barrel to shield herself from the sudden temperature shift. It had been a while since she’d last landed – longer than it should have been, but Anthe had chosen to be stubborn and willed herself to defy her physical limitations. The moment her hooves had hit the permafrost, she’d begun to reap the consequences of her recklessness. With every step deeper into the frozen forest, her body cried for a break, her already aching muscles locking up in the frigid air. Her eyelids were heavy above her pale eyes and more than once she found a sudden draft of winter air waking her from a doze. Traveler’s weariness aside, the omnipresent curiosity that burned in Anthe’s chest was fully aflame as it animated her leaden limbs and drug her deeper into the foreign trees in search of the only thing she knew how to find – adventure.

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

Hector
"Veci! Come. We must carry on our duties"

Came the booming voice of Hector and called to his mischievous boggart, who was lagging behind and inspecting something on the ground, his form shifting into that of an eagle for moments before he became invisible once again. Most likely, the troublesome ghost was trying to scare an unsuspecting mouse on the frosty undergrowth below. It seemed to be becoming Veci's favourite form, that of a proud eagle souring the skies and every time the hybrid asked why the boggart simply replied with a mixture wondrous emotions and images of beautiful flight. After that, Hector had chuckled because after all, he too knew what it was like to glide ones wings through crisp air and feel like you're on top of the world. For now though, the pair flew together over the tops of trees, the threshold shivered in the awakening of winter. Though the orange boy had to admit, though he preferred the cold, he had never seen quite such beauty and majesty in the landscape than in Frostfall. It was almost worth the freezing cold. Almost.

There were so many scents filling the air, the claiming grounds of Helovia were one of the busiest places in the land and always someone was there. Either from a herd looking for recruits, or strangers stumbling upon the gem that was Helovia tucked away and surrounded by glorious mountains, robust trees and the glittering ocean. Lately, the poor giant was experiencing a spell of bad luck with his recent attempts. Always the new comers he met seemed to be more interested in a better offer, though it did not diminish his youthful spirit that carried on his duties in the name of Kri and the beautiful land that was the Dragons Throat. It was then that he spotted her from the clouds, her form a picture of monochrome with splashes of sapphire and glorious wings sprouted atop her lithe back. Even from above Hector could see that she was quite a beautiful mare and around his very age. Tucking his wings in a little, the hybrid glided down, carefully picking his way through the branches of naked trees until large equine feet pressed against the snowy floor with a thud, leonine tail whipping out to the side as he did so.

He had hoped to land not too far away from her and with gentle eyes he attempted to approach the painted belle with Veci floating invisibly by his side, exuding curiosity and excitement. Proffering his head that was filled with horns of a rhino, splashed deep chestnut and white, lips parted to offer kind words as he welcomed this mare into the land. "Hello miss. Welcome to Helovia, my name is Hector of the Dragons Throat. May I help you?" Toning his rumbling voice to a calmer baritone as eyes of fire serenely gazed at the mare, awaiting her answer patiently.
image credits

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Unregistered

ANTHE x FOR HECTOR x 524 WORDS
Frost was beginning to dust over Anthe, a kiss of fine crystals growing along the edges of her feathers and shimmering against the void of her hair. She sighed, the action visible in the arctic air. Step by painful step, the young mare picked her way between the bare trees, occasionally casting a glance skyward only to be met with the promise of more snow from heavy-bellied clouds. The forest was eerily quiet, every living thing having had the sense to seek shelter in the warmth and sleep the cold away (every living thing except her, the eternally underprepared). She stopped frequently, every joint in her body having gone numb and stiff from overuse and improper care. The tree nearest her side helped to hold her up and Anthe only pulled her wings tighter around her body, peering out carefully into the bitter white world.

As it happened, it became apparent that Anthe was not the only creature who lacked the sense to seek out solace somewhere warmer. He landed near her and she turned, shouldering off of the tree to stand stiffly braced in front of him. The look of him was brilliant and Anthe could feel her curiosity stretch from its slumber in her mind as she ran her gaze over every inch of him. He was large and sightly (though, in respect to delicate stature, most things were considered ‘large’ on the size scale). He also might have been handsome, but Anthe had never been particularly attracted by one’s looks, so she couldn’t have been completely certain. He spoke and she stood there, blinking at him dumbly as she tried to catch up. “Helovia.” Well that solved one mystery, although Anthe supposed that knowing the name of where she’d landed didn’t really make much of a difference until she’d thoroughly learned about it.

Bringing her icy eyes up to meet his fiery ones, she let her name slip simply from her lips. “I’m Anthe.” …Of a nameless, faceless place far far away from here. Her inner voice was slightly cynical and she couldn’t help but laugh once, to herself. That was a story she was not yet ready to tell and should Hector ask her (which she hoped he didn’t), she would casually deflect his curiosity like she’d done so many times in the past. Slowly she inched closer to the larger stallion, her leaden feet dragging across the frosty ground as bright interest sparkled in her eyes. “You said you’re from a place called…The Dragon’s Throat? That sounds like a land worth exploring if I’ve ever heard one, could you tell me about it?” She paused, casting her gaze across the somber, frost-covered forest under the sullen, gray sky. “I do hope it’s warmer than it is here.” She paused then, nose wrinkled at the cloud of steam her words had caused to form in front of her face. Exhaustion still dragged on every muscle in Anthe’s body, but bright curiosity had flooded her veins, tiding over the weariness and holding it off yet again.

Hector
Anthe.

That was the name she gave, a beautiful name at that and he dipped his head in welcome. Happy to see the interest in her eyes as she walked a little closer to him, the circles around her silvery blue eyes caught his attention, reminding him of the strange markings Gaucho had around his eyes too. The Soldier smiled brightly when she asked after his homeland and he felt a sudden urge to show her all the beautiful places that the Throat had to offer. It was hard to put into words all the things that he loved about his home, it was much better just to show the other around, but Anthe would have to agree to come with him for that to happen. So far so good, he paused before speaking, formulating thoughts into words as Veci floated off by himself, no doubt finding something else more interesting. The boggart did have a short attention span, Hector was beginning to notice. Finally finding the right words, he flicked his long leonine tail happily and spoke of his land with passion and love.

"A pleasure to meet you, Anthe, of course I can tell you more about my home." Well there were some things he couldn't say for the safety of his herd mates, but he could tell her of the warmth and the beauty. "It lies to the south of where we are now, one of the warmest places in Helovia, though Frostfalls reach does spread far and wide. There you will find desert land and a beautiful oasis, framed by the sea." For a moment he lost himself in the sparkling waves and the feeling of warmth from the blazing sun. It was a hard place to describe in just words. The hybrid took a few steps towards her then, still leaving enough polite space and his expression was still one of friendship.

"We're not just a herd land, we're a family. A strong family at that with determined leaders. I would love to show you my land and have you rest in our oasis, that is, if it appeals to you Anthe." His final words fell onto the cold air, an invitation to follow him and become a mare of the Dragons Throat. Hector wondered where she had come from, what had brought her to Helovia? Had she travelled far? She certainly looked weary from the outside. The warrior did not ask questions of her past, however, he was still just a stranger to her. It would be rude in his mind to want to know such things, though many would disagree, Hector respected the belle's privacy and awaited her decision.
image credits

@[Anthe]

• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Unregistered

ANTHE x FOR HECTOR x 539 WORDS
Anthe supposed that the stallion had entrapped her attention the second he’d uttered mention of the sea. Instantly, she was alert and straightening herself up despite the obvious tiredness that had stiffened her legs. Swiveling aimlessly atop her head, at the soft single syllable, her ears fell forward, straining as though they could almost hear the roar of crashing waves. She inched closer, making baby steps in the frosty ground. In the back of her mind she knew that she was probably crossing a line of etiquette between near-strangers, but Anthe could not pay mind to niceties and manners. Hector’s words had entranced her and for a moment she was lost, white lids closing over her seaglass eyes as she imagined the Dragon’s Throat. In her mind’s eye she could see golden sands stretching onward, glimmering with the shimmer of heat on the horizon until they reached the sea, glittering like a sapphire jewel beneath the relentless sun. She shuddered, a deep yearning opening up in her soul, aching painfully for the familiar ocean.

“It sounds beautiful.” Her voice sounded faraway as if her consciousness was somewhere that was not her body. Reopening her eyes, Anthe reclaimed what little pieces of politeness her parents had instilled in her. She smiled at the copper stallion, lifting her chin to gaze up into his burning eyes. “Forgive me. I’m not from here and until you showed up, I wasn’t really sure where here even was.” Helovia, she remembered, was what he’d called this place. She let the name idly roll around her mind as she listened to Hector speak of his Dragon’s Throat. We’re a family he’d said and the pale mare swallowed instinctively, her tail twitching across the ground in an irregular, nervous pattern. Anthe hadn’t had a family in years and she’d spent just as long trying to bury the memory that they’d even existed in an effort to smother the guilt that arose with the thought of them. The offer to have another put her on edge and she could feel bitter regret snaking its way into her chest, tightening it painfully. “I…” She paused, a frown gracing her ivory lips as regret and curiosity battled one another in her mind. She’d been born with a gypsy soul – created to adventure endlessly and never settle. It was possible that she’d break this family the same way she’d broken her last, but the chance to see the ocean and to learn about this new and strange continent made her heart race with excitement and even as a wave of dread threatened to consume her, she heard the words leave her mouth and seal her fate. “I’d love the chance to see your land, Hector.” Anthe told herself that it was the exhaustion and the cold that had weakened her resolve, but she couldn’t bother to convince herself. “However, I want to stress now that I know nothing about this place you call Helovia and I don’t wish to impose upon you or your herd. I’m not really sure what I could contribute to your family…” Something in her wanted him to retract his offer, but Anthe knew he wouldn’t and her attempts to dissuade him were half-hearted at best.

Hector
He watches her, curious and cautious as she takes more steps towards him. Her movements looked harmless, though ears swivelled uncertainly atop his head, he did not move away from her as she edged closer. The belle's eyes seemed lost somewhere else and the hybrid felt a slight moment of embarrassment, like he was intruding on a private moment. Finally her distant voice broke the silence and her words were like music on his ears, it seemed his words had done enough to portray the beauty of his land so far. Still, he wanted to share the deserts and the beautiful sea with her. Her pale silver eyes reach up to his own and he smiles politely, portraying open friendliness as he treated her gently, his face never moving from that smile as he wondered briefly what she was thinking. Where she had come from. All these mysteries and questions, it would be rude to ask such things, though he couldn't help the need to want to know more. She spoke once again and he shook his head, body rattling in light hearted laughter.

"No need to apologize m'lady, I felt the same way when I first arrived here too." He remembered the fond memories of being greeted by Kri, his heart had yearned for the land she had spoke of and willingly he had followed her. Not a single day had passed that he regretted since then. If anything, the hybrid felt he had grown under her strong willed tutelage and become something much better than what he was when he had first arrived. Maybe Anthe would find something similar or maybe something else was in store for her. Who knew.

He watched her then, concerned as she seemed to struggle with her words, but he was patient and didn't interrupt her. Finally the painted belle found her voice and the soldier listened respectfully, smiling even broader when she expressed a wish to see his homeland. Her reservations came after, however, and the hybrid wondered what made her think such things about herself. He did not know her very well and yet he wanted to shake her, tell her she should think more highly of herself and he struggled to refrain himself from speaking such words. Hector didn't want to scare her away after all. Taking a moment to consider his thoughts, it was around half a minute later when the boy finally spoke. His voice gentler and understanding.

"You would not be imposing dear Anthe, we do not ask you to come with skills. Your presence alone will contribute to our herd. Maybe, as you get to know Helovia, you will find your true calling and find your own way to contribute." He paused then, his next words were for the flip side of the coin and wouldn't really help the Throat land if she chose his suggestion. Yet, Hector was not so cruel as to force the mare to join if she wished not to. "There are other herd lands here too, our allies in the west live on misty cliffs backed with a forest. That herd is called the Worlds Edge and is lead by Mirage the Dragonheart. There is also the Windtossed Foothills to the North and further still the Aurora Basin, though I know very little about those lands in truth." He knew bits and pieces from herd meetings of course, but he did not want to give the lady false information.

"You could also roam the land by yourself, though I admit I would worry for your safety sister." He said fondly at the end, his words were honest. The stallion would much prefer to take her back with him, behind the safe border of the Dragons Throat, but he did know that some horses preferred their own company and wished to roam on their own. He waited patiently for her answer.
image credits

Unregistered

ANTHE x FOR HECTOR x 609 WORDS
Anthe decided that she liked Hector. He was understanding and gentle and above all else, he did not interrogate her relentlessly although she could see a thousand unasked questions in his gaze. Perhaps in time she would share a bit of herself with him. She could tell him about the thing she’d seen outside Helovia and all the different stories she’d heard, passed down from numerous encounters. She knew, deep down, that those probably weren’t the answers he wanted and like everyone before him, there would come a day when he would ask about her home and her family and about why she’d ended up in his home. And just like everyone else before him, his questions would be greeted with silence and a diversion and that was just the endless cycle in which Anthe’s life revolved. Now, however, was not the time to dwell on the inevitable future and instead, she offered the big copper stallion a genuinely grateful smile. Of course she wasn’t the first to move through these woods – she wouldn’t be the last, either – and it came to her attention that she’d managed to land in the mouth of Helovia. The frostbitten forests seemed to be a kind of gate between this land and the wide open space she’d flown across to get here, so she supposed that Hector and his people were used to confused foreigners stumbling around without a sense of direction or an ounce of knowledge about where they’d just arrived.

Her hybrid companion began speaking again, his words an attempt to soothe the doubt that creased across her pale brow. She listened, onyx ears twitching as her gaze wandered, searching the forest for an answer that did not appear. She could not tell Hector that she wasn’t so much afraid that she’d not contribute (she did, after all, have a keen aptitude for learning), but that she didn’t trust herself to stay. She could not tell him that the very idea of family terrified her because she’d so willingly abandoned the mother and father that had brought her into this world. She couldn’t even begin to explain just how tempting the idea of this new, foreign continent was that she wanted to see all of it. There were no words that could describe the aching feeling of regret that made her chest feel weighted. Even as the stallion listed off all of the other places she could go to make her home (seemingly mistaking her hesitation for disinterest in the Throat), Anthe could only force her gaze back upon him and will him silently to understand that this was something far beyond what he could have imagined. “I thank you for your concern, Hector; however, you need not worry. I would be greatly honored if you would escort me to your home in the Dragon’s Throat.” Oh how Anthe wanted to see the sea again. Perhaps it would help clear her mind.

She straightened, shifting her wings and shuddering at a sudden gust of wintry air. She hoped what Hector said was true and that the Dragon’s Throat would prove to boast a warmer climate than this. Sighing, she brushed her gaze across his features, another soft breeze brushing her long forelock from her face. “Perhaps you could give me a crash course on all things Helovian on the way there?” She tried to force a light tone into her voice, hoping that she succeeded in fooling Hector with her false excitement. Dread, instead, had settled like a heavy rock at this pit of her stomach and Anthe found herself worrying that if they didn’t leave soon, she’d bow out altogether.