the Rift

[OPEN] stumbling children make mistakes

Amara Posts: 136
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sameira :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire dark

After my disappointment with the God of the Sun, I had begun my trek home, taking caution, for it was beginning to darken. The stars were slowly rising into the night as I wandered towards my home. Being a foal, I did not realize I had taken a wrong turn. I assumed I was going the right way, speeding through the white winter woods. I could feel my heart jumping as I spotted light ahead of me. It was dim, but it was light. I assumed it was the setting sun, still sinking below the ocean.

I sped up, but forced myself to stop. I couldn't gallop anymore, it was too tiring. So I slowed my pace to a gentle walk, my footfalls soft, quiet. I heard something behind me rustle, and I widened my eyes. I dared not turn around, so I hurried behind a large tree and opened my left wing, bending my neck so that I caught my little doll that fell from my wing. I always kept her there, between my body and my wing. I took her hand between my teeth and kept walking, feeling slightly comforted. Wind howled, and I squeezed my eyes shut. I opened my eyes after a few minutes, only to be greeted by almost complete darkness. I squealed through my clenched teeth. I walked farther, towards the dim red light.

I watched my breath as I walked, it came from my nostrils like white smoke. It would swirl away, vanishing into the night air. This was my first Frostfall, and hopefully next Frostfall I would be smart enough not to go off the beach, where it's not as cold. I stumbled forward, almost dropping my doll. I flicked my ears back as something flew above my head. A screech came from above me, and then snow fell onto my back. Taking a look above me, I caught sight of a dark mouse-like creature. It hung from a tree branch my its toes. As soon as I looked at it, it squealed and showed me its leathery wings. I swallowed, my knees shaking. I moved faster, the light ahead growing.

I burst into a misty little clearing, squinting to see through the mist. I could barely see anything but the small flame that flickered. I wandered towards it, warming myself. Because I was a child, I did not think it was odd for a little fire to be lit in the middle of nowhere. I didn't hesitate to lay myself on the coarse grass, sighing. I placed my doll between my small legs, letting her lean against my chest and gaze at the fire. I closed my eyes for the moment, oblivious of the fact that I was in herd land.

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits

Hellena Posts: 64
World's Edge Seer
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 26 Buff: NOVICE
Whit

Children.

Why did they seem so intent on disrupting my peace? My serenity? My blissful silence? My solitudious tranquillity was forever being shattered, ruined, left slumped and forgotten in a dark corner somewhere, as my attention is forced to focus on far more menial tasks. And it was always by these small, loud, bumbling ,youthful souls that my devotion to my Goddess was interrupted, my ruminations broken and fragmented.

They always thought of themselves so highly, assuming that they knew everything, assuming they were welcome everywhere, assuming that everything contained within their little heads was all there was to know about anything and everything. And they always thought that they were subtle, silent, learned in the ways of stealth. But they weren't - not when one had access to the network of mists dropping whispers about the happenings of every soul who dared to wander into my lands.

I stood over the sleeping child now, my violet gaze drinking her appearance with silent judgement, my leonine tail swishing to and fro behind me as I considered what to do next. I was not prone to bestowing niceties upon the young just for the sake that they are young, like so many other, far more maternal mares were. I was more of an aunt, one who watched from afar, who gave praise when it was due - as well as judgement.

Still, I did not disturb the young belle, instead deciding to stand over her, and allow her to get some rest. The last time an unknown foal had trespassed, she had made the mistake of harming a fellow resident. This one had come merely seeking a warm place to lay and escape the cold - that much at least, I could grant her. And so, I stood as a silent, pale sentinel for the evening, wondering when the belle would awaken, wondering when I could finally earn back my peaceful studies once more.

[ Feel free to have her sleep through the night and wake in the morning if you like c: ]

Hellena</style>
May the stars tuck you in at night,
May the Moon watch over you, always.
</style>

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com

Amara Posts: 136
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sameira :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire dark

During the short few hours I slept, I had a dream. But this dream did not consist of my usual, bloody dreams of my mother's death. No, this dream was much better, much sweeter. I romped through a field, gravity seemingly losing its grip on me as I bounded through, my long legs slowly beginning to rise from the ground with each leap. But as I thought gravity was vanishing, it was in fact me... flying. My wings flapped as I soared, swirling around and I was doing tricks in the air. I saw a dark figure speed from beside me. I glanced to the side and saw my mom. She was blurry, but I could never forget her face, her colors, her figure or her smell. I was born to know her, to remember her. I soared beside her before landing. We settled in a comfortable little spot in the shade, a large willow tree sweeping its fingers far above us. I buried my face in her dark mane before sighing and leaning against her as she cooed gently, telling me stories of great pirates. I heard the sound of the waves, the crisp smell of sea salt, and the sound of chanting pirates as she told the story. Slowly, my dream-self drifted to sleep.

It seemed all so sudden as I awoke with a shake, my eyes bleary and my nose resting against my chest, right above my doll's head. The sun cut through a small bit of the mist, allowing me to see the very edge, which I was scarcely close to. The edge was just, there. It looked as though it dropped off, dipping into the earth. I lay there, oblivious of the mare beside me. I opened my small maw, allowing myself to yawn. I blink a few times, trying to clear up my blurred vision. I turned my head, craning my neck. Towering over me was a dappled mare, her violet eyes seemed to gaze down at me as though she was a stone figurine watching over me while I had slept. Her tail was different than mine, it was more like Cosette's tail, which was a lions' tail. I blinked, my amber eyes still focused on the mare, my small ears flicked back in fear. I opened my small mouth again, this time to speak, but shut it when I realized I was too scared.

The old mare did not move, she just stood there watching me. I picked up my doll and opened my left wing, holding her there until I closed my wing so that she was securely folded in. I turned back to the old unicorn, watching her with curious eyes. When she said nothing, I opened my mouth, gathering enough courage to speak. My voice at first came out quiet, almost silent. "Whooooo'ssss. Yooooou?" Gods! I couldn't even speak. I was young and my vocabulary (and my grammar) was at its minimum. I had meant to say "Who are you?" But being a small child with little development in speech, I was unable to say this sentence exactly. At least I had tried.

I gazed at the mare, curious as to who she was, and why she was here. Opening my mouth again, and I gulped in some air and spoke once again. "Wh're arrreeess weeeee?" Again, bad speech. It's tough being a foal, unable to really pronounce things and arrange words properly. I slowly propped myself up using my forelegs, my quarters still resting on the ground. I could feel hunger beginning to claw at my gut, growling and fussing because I had not eaten since yesterday morning. It was a beast inside, snarling to be let free. I glanced at my rumbling tummy and then at the mare, my curious eyes grazing over her hungrily.
"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits

Hellena Posts: 64
World's Edge Seer
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 26 Buff: NOVICE
Whit

I knew the moment the child had awoken.

Mediation was a great art, one that I have practised for most of my life; it allowed me to philosophise my thoughts and learnings, to reconsider and rejudge what events may have passed; what events may yet occur. It was something that I had learned to do in a semi-conscious state; I was able to be alert to my surrounds in an almost hypersensitive way, whilst also focus my energy deep within, to mull and chew through the day's tasks at hand. I did this for most of the night, and when the child beside me began to show evidence of walking in her own dreams, I shifted my stance to observe her more closely. What images, sounds, animations, wandered through a young one's mind? I did wonder, for I certainly do not remember myself. It awoke soon after that, wings unfolding and refolding, eyes blinking dolefully; I am aware of her silent observation of me, of her sudden recluse when she thinks she could hide.

Ears were keenly aware of the words she spoke, I winced at the butchered language the young on spoke, once again never remembering my own inability to direct my tongue as a youth - it was so very long ago, of course. Two questions were voiced, and with them, the action of standing was commenced. The obvious hunger of the child did not go unnoticed by me, but I was unconcerned; I would have her returned to her home and family soon enough, especially now that she was awake.

"I am Hellena. We are in the World's Edge, a herdland you have trespassed upon. Follow me to the border, where I can then direct you on the path back to your family." I spoke simply, slowly, clearly, dipping my tiara and curving my body to motion that the child should follow me. There was little room for dispute of the fact; the little Outcast did not belong here, and the Qian would not stand to be accused of stealing a foal from the side of its mother. Best to get it out of here well rested (albeit hungry) and onwards to home sooner rather then later, than face the potential wrath of an unknown entity, waking in the morning to find their beloved child gone.

Hellena</style>
May the stars tuck you in at night,
May the Moon watch over you, always.
</style>

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com