the Rift

You Oughta Know [Xira]

Mesir Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

I strut across the sand in the burning heat and light, a gift from the God of the Sun, towards the ocean. The foam rushes against the sand in brilliant waves that glitter the holy light, a beautiful sight to behold. Why others thought that this eternal Tallsun was horrid when sights like the ocean under the sun were so gorgeous was an idea I could not fathom. I snort at the idiocy of the others in this land and continue trotting to the shimmery blue waves. My hooves hit the cool salty liquid and I smile at the feeling of freedom in my chest. Sea spray tangles my black mane and splashes lightly across my face, a refreshing coolness that I welcome despite how I love the heat.

I had walked for a while to get to the ocean, so to strengthen myself, I focus my magic on the sunlight glancing off the ocean and feel my muscles immediately stop aching, and my energy build, my mind sharpen. I laugh, giddy with the power the light gives me, and thank the God of the Sun for this glorious ability. I look down into the wavering surface of the ocean, and see the familiar glowing of my ankh marking, illuminating my features. The tan of my coat is shadow-less, the blue of my eyes matching the glimmering ocean, partly because of the light magic and also because of the free feeling of wading in the ocean. I flick my tail and droplets of salt water fly up shine in the sun.

Finished amusing myself, I trot out of the water and flick my tail again; only this time I hear a sizzle as the black locks turn to elegant flames, immediately warming and drying my coat. The colors dance along my neck to my withers, snapping and turning vaguely blue due to the salt. I am sad to see the blue go, and wish I could change the color of the fire at will, liking how the blue matched my eyes. I flick my tail once more and the fires extinguish, leaving shiny and dry black hairs in its place.

Xira Posts: 67
Up For Adoption atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 hh :: 7 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kye :: Red-Footed Falcon :: Read Adoptable

Photo © Tony McLean
</style>
       It's too hot for the pair to fly, and thus the day has been filled with disgruntled whistles back and forth as they trudge through the heat. The ocean lies ahead, but Xira's whistle for Kye to test the waters is in vain. Stubbornly the falcon perches behind the thick-coated roan's ears, gripping a thick mane and poking through into flesh relentlessly. All attempts to shake her off are unsuccessful- Kye only lifts her head higher and squints her eyes further.

She is frustrated with the stubbornness of her bonded, yet she displays it just as much herself as she determinedly walks towards the water. The stale air surrounds her as she journeys forth, stirring only with the occasional beating of her wings and shuffle of Kye's feathers. When at last the ocean becomes more than a vision and a dream, and the earth beneath her hooves turns to the soft and forgiving surface of sand, she feels heat wrapped in every curl of her coat. It burns her from the core, and has built a rage that she just barely controls. No, Xira is not a creature of Tallsun.

She approaches the water at a slow gallop, relieved as it splashes upon her and seems to attract some of the heat. Still, the water is only tepid, and its saltiness keeps her from quenching her thirst and wetting her dry lips. As she walks further in and lowers herself into the water, a lazy Kye protests. The falcon begins to flap her wings wildly and hover above Xira, scratching her occasionally and letting out a low hiss. The roan mare snorts with annoyance, and the roll of her eyes aligns perfectly with the lifting of her left wing to strike Kye and push her down closer to the water. The falcon cries with annoyance, but Xira merely grins smugly as she dips her head in the salt and coats herself in the relief.

Suddenly, through the bright reflections of the sun, Xira catches sight of a mare with her sharp eyes. There is a soft whistle to call Kye to her side, and, perhaps due to the change in tone, the falcon knows better than to ignore it. She swoops, skimming the water with her sharp talons, and extends her feet to grab the base of Xira's wing as a perch. With caution the green roan lifts herself onto the shore, watching with slight distaste as the other mare's mane and tail set alight. She's seen followers of the sun in her travels- she had hoped the order would have all died out now along with Ra, but it seemed a few, with their trademark fiery locks, has pressed on.

"I'm sure you're enjoying the heat," Xira called out bitterly to the stranger, folding her wings tight to her side and cocking her head up in a subversive sort of resistance. Was there really any reason to be polite to someone who, just a few seasons earlier, would have considered this meaning a deigning, and called her scum as soon as it was over?

Unregistered

This green newcomer shots me a snippy comment, and I do not appreciate rude mares who judge me based on my faith. Simply to irritate her, I flick my tail, my mane bursting into bright flames, matching my tail and I flip my mane for extra flourish. I give this green roan a simple smirk, my blue eyes slightly crackling with annoyance. No one disrespects my god or the Order of the Sun, without answering to me. A part of me says I should strike her with my tail, watching carefully the contempt in her green eyes. And yet her attitude holds me back; I like mares who are not afraid to speak their mind. I keep my flaming hair, ready in case she decides to insult me further, and relax ever so slightly. “ I take it you are not? It is pity, really, how others around her do not enjoy the blessing the God of the Sun has given.” My sharp remark hangs in the air between us as I watch her falcon with wary eyes. I keep the distance between us and continue to flaunt my fiery locks in spite.

I take in this unusual green mare’s appearance, never having seen anything like it. Her coat is chestnut under a layer of green hues that only covers her body. Her head and legs remain the same dark color as her undercoat, and emerald green eyes reside on her face. Her wings are really magnificent, as reluctant as I am to admit it; a mix of chestnut, white, dark gray and the same green that coats her body. She is beautiful in a unique sort of way, simply an acquired taste. Still, none would ever think her beautiful with the egotistical way she holds herself, and looks down upon others like me, who share a different belief. I snort impatiently, wondering why she was still here if she hated the open sun that we were blessed with.

Photo © Tony McLean
</style>
       Xira watched with aggravation as the mare before her flaunted flaming locks and sucked the little remaining moisture from the surrounding air. Upon her withers, Kye hissed with dissatisfaction, and folded heavy wet wings to her side, her equivalent of crossing her arms like a petulant child. For once, Xira wasn't scolding her to be a bit more cheerful. The cynical bird was exactly on point this bright day.

The mare before them was a perfectly formed ignorant ass. The comments about the God of the Sun were simply obnoxious, and led only to an impatient shuffle of Xira's fore-hooves as she kneaded the sand. When would the bitch leave her in peace? She hated mares that obeyed a higher power of any sort, mythical or not, and this mare before her seemed to be a perfect specimen. How strange it was that the verdant chestnut always ran into these types she so despised. All she had been looking for was some refuge.

"It is a pity, really, that the false sense of security afforded to you by a love for an arrogant, godly jackass has caused you to forget the pain of excruciating heat," She replied as a hiss through clenched and beard teeth. Upon her back, Kye snapped her beak in time to the rhythm of the insult while watching the egyptian mare with a steady, hate-filled gaze. "Tell me, how has that flaming fuck that you call a God been, lately? Is he having fun making Helovia a living hell?" She snapped with a burning tone and a bitter look. She shifted her wings uncomfortably and side stepped the beams of light that invaded even the corners of her vision, but failed to find any shelter from the heat in such an open expanse. Quickly she returned her gaze to the other mare, speaking once more before letting the other say her piece. "I only ask because I know you two must speak often, being on such good terms with each other and all. I must say, yours is likely the first instance of a master caring about the well being of his slave," Xira remarked coldly and rudely, flinging back her ears and bracing her hooves as sturdily as possible in the sand. Her sarcasm was poisonous, her wit sharp and unavoidable. Hopefully she'd done some damage.

Unregistered

I stare at this green mare in disbelief and slight elation. I am ready for a good battle of wits, even if it is with this bitchy roan, who enjoys tickling my nerves. No one is going to befoul my god without answering to me, but I cannot let her visibly toy with my nerves. I must keep a hard outer shell, because I would not give her the satisfaction of rubbing me the wrong way. I flicked my flaming mane viciously, making sure some of the flames sparked and grazed towards her coat. “Well, now that you mention it, when I talked to him this morning, he told me about you. He said I should expect to see you here. And he said something else…Huh…I think he said…oh yeah! That you were a total bitch.” I tilt my head to the side with an innocent smile and a small shrug of my shoulders, my sarcasm quick but quite out of practice. I shift and glare at this thorny mare with fire in my blue eyes, as I defend my god with all I have. She has no right to diss the God of the Sun’s temper when she had a large one herself. My eyes graze over her falcon, who is looking like an entitled child when they do not get what they want. I paw the sand and trot around her in a circle, making sure my mane almost touches her and her jackass of a falcon.

“You have quick wit. I can respect that. And though I do love my Sun God, I admit I am curious to his motives, though they are not mine to question. My name is Mesir, Dragon’s Throat Informant at your service.” I say the last three words as a joke and cliché, not at all wanting to be in her service. For all I know, she would make me commit blasphemy to the God of the Sun if she had the chance, and laugh all the while, while I did. Still this mare intrigues me, as little as I want to admit it for her lack of respect for my faith. I hope she can either respect my quick wits, or simply give me better material to work with when insulting me. I am not willing to waste my time playing a child’s game.

Photo © Tony McLean
</style>
       Her retort was lacking, and Xira found herself wondering if the mare had simply missed the sarcasm in her previous comment entirely, or was stubbornly ignoring it along with the rest of her barbed nuances. The chestnut only snorted in reply to the petty remark. She was not offended by being called a bitch- she'd heard it before and would again, she wasn't going to change her ways to avoid a fairly commonplace term. Resting discontentedly between Xira's wings, the falcon let out a light and quiet screech in retaliation. The mare beneath her did nothing to stop her charge or reprimand her; as far as she was concerned, Kye was acting quite appropriately.

Thank Xira! came a voice, quiet yet firm with emotion and a hint of pride. Her companion had been quiet today; perhaps her mind was tired from their earlier communication. Still, it was a gift to hear her companion's voice and understand her poorly constructed phrases. It was endearing to hear Kye as a child, when her maturity and sharp tongue seemed befit of one much older.

Faced with the egyptian mare's name and rank, Xira found herself stifling shock. So this was Mesir the informant? She was no unknown in the herd; she'd been in the herd for as long as the order had been established, possibly even earlier. She'd lived there since before the Tuuli invasion and the overthrow of Ra the Sun Emissary. And to think she'd just disrespected her so blatantly.... no, that was a joke. Xira didn't care who the mare was, she didn't like her. Still, she wasn't one to deny an introduction when it was applicable.

"I am Xira, and my companion is Kye. I too am an informant for the Dragon's Throat, the chestnut spoke plainly, her head tilted up in a display of pride and her green eyes shining down as they looked upon the equine. "As long as you have no intention of changing my opinions, I'm content to let you rest with yours, no matter how ignorant your blind beliefs may make you," Xira huffed, her tone one of reluctant compromise, and her folding wings a sign of a truce. If Mesir couldn't respect that simple tenant then they may have a problem, but she doubted it would be an issue. As much as she hated to admit it, the mare seemed intelligent enough. She must have been to last as an informant in the Throat for as long as she had.

Unregistered

The mare decides to respect me, and I learn she is Xira, also a Dragon’s Throat Informant. I muster up even more respect for her, and dip my head slightly and very quickly. I am still wary about Xira, with her deep hatred of my faith, but I do think that a friendship between us is possible. I am inwardly smug about the way she reacted when I introduced myself. I seem to be somewhat of a legend as an Informant for the Throat and that made her squirm. I love making bitches squirm. I smirk slightly at her and Kye, watching the falcon with caution. I do not like birds, and this one had a glare fit for her companion. Even if I did not get along perfectly with these two, I make a note to never get on their bad side. Still, seeing the mare with a loyal companion makes me feel jealous, lonely even. I am always on my own and Xira’s company—however prickly it is—is welcome to me.

The green roan speaks of compromising our opinions, as if I am trying to force my beliefs on her. I snort; who does this mare think I am? My beliefs are my own and I respect that other have different feelings, even if I do not understand them. It was her who was ignorant and disrespectful. “Well, Xira, I wonder if you can stop trying to flatten my beliefs by blaspheming my god. I have never once asked you—or anyone—to get on their knees and bow to the power of the God of the Sun. It seems that I am more tolerant than you, who encountered me and immediately judged my personality and manner. So, if you can stop questioning my beliefs, I will not question yours.” I flip my now jet black mane, having made my point and hoping it will stick. Nothing bothered me more than ignorance; I had no time for disrespect.

I paw the sand, stuck in the awkwardness of the conversation, and pointedly look at Xira. As obviously annoying as the mare is, I always honor a good informant. She had recently captured the stallion Moon Boy as the Throat’s prisoner, which was something to be congratulated on. I look up towards the sun, feeling the rays on my face and gently edge out my magic to absorb the pure light energy that always gives me strength. Strength to deal with this bitch.

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

In the midst of the sky assembles a dark, menacing cloud, seemingly vexed by the hateful words exchanged between the two horses many feet below. Thunder roars in the heap of dark gray, echoing out across the desert terrain of the Dragon's Throat. A strange feeling consumes the two standing beneath: a sensation that is hard to define, and causes a shiver to course down both mare's spines. Almost instantly, the cloud dissipates from the atmosphere, leaving it once again as it was.

For the rest of this thread, Xira and Mesir must speak only words of kindness to one another.

Photo © Tony McLean
</style>
       Xira had her words lined up perfectly. As soon as Mesir had broken the brief and pleasant silence after the chestnut roan's words, Xira had been made aware of every fault in the other's statement. Kye whistled eagerly from her perch upon her bonded's shoulder, having read Xira's mind and anticipated each poisonous barb before it was delivered.

Xira parted her lips to speak, when suddenly she noticed a shadow falling across her vision. She shook her head, ignoring the change in weather. The Sun God had been temperamental, who was to say this wasn't simply another of his heat storms. Her eyes shut and her kissers spread to speak all at once, but she only managed a syllable before everything was shattered in the sound of thunder.

Scare! cried out Kye, who reverted to her childish nature only briefly before realizing that she had just exposed her vulnerability and stiffening up. The bird whistled a high, penetrating note, and at once Xira's hearing returned, albeit slightly jostled from the roar of the sky. Surely it was just more work of the God of the Sun and his weather play; what use would it do to pay it any mind? She shook her head and mentally scolded Kye for her obvious and instantaneous fear, even if she'd felt it all herself.

Now, where had she been? She found herself shaking uncontrollably, found her head wobbling like a doll's as she tried to reform the insult in her mind and simply could not. At last she thought she had it and with reckless impatience she spoke, barely able to hear herself over the ringing in her ears. "You've been loyal to your god, cause, duty, and the herd for some time now, I'm certainly not one to judge you, Xira muttered darkly, hoping every last word dug a hole into the informant's heart, until she realized with horror that what she'd said was not at all what she'd imagined.

Wrong? Wrong? The falcon's voice rang in her mind, loud and clear above the thunder's heavy echoes in he head. Yes Kye, Wrong, The chestnut replied with a puzzled look trapped on her features and a nervous flicker of her tail. Something had gone horribly wrong when the thunder had hit. She could stare as darkly as she wanted at the other mare but somehow her expression still reflected kindness; form any insult but still have it rearranged into a compliment. This occurrence, whatever it was, was simply wretched.

Unregistered

I scoff inwardly at the green mare, knowing there are hidden meanings to her nice words. The ominous dark cloud above us intrigues me, as its arrival was sudden and unwelcome to both of us. I intend to ready a sharp retort in response to Xira’s compliment, and curiously find my mind blank. All that fills my head are thoughts about the lovely shade of the mare’s coat, how adept she was at sarcastic retorts, and how lovely her companion was. There is no way these are my own thoughts, I think to myself, cringing at the sweet compliments dirtying my pure mind. I panic and search frantically in every crevice of my brain for a perfect insult, retort, anything that was resonant of the sharp, thorny, and real me. I have a feeling that Xira was not meaning to address her admiration of my loyal to the God of the Sun, whom I was praying to right now, in hope he would grant me an insult for my “lovely” friend.

My blue eyes hard, I look at the mare’s green ones, and think we are finally agreeing on something: this fucking cloud is a fucking inconvenience. I snort my black mane out of my face angrily, but realize that even my snort sounds like a friendly whinny. “I…um. Well, Xira, thank you. You seem loyal yourself. I see it with you and Kye.” I am horrified at my own mouth telling this bitch I think she is even worth a goddamn thing to me. I paw impatiently at the ground, hoping this will end soon, extremely uncomfortable with the warm fuzzy thoughts running amok in my brain. I remain cool and emotionless to Xira, but I am quietly tearing every single leaf off every tree in Dragon’s Throat territory with my rage at not being able to say what the fuck I want.

Photo © Tony McLean
</style>
       The discussion that they carried out was maddening. The mare before Xira spoke in pleasantries. with kind nickers and gentle gazes. Still, she could sense the same sort of reluctance that she felt within her- saw in her eyes the same hatred for the vicious storm that had cursed them and put them in this state. Kye pecked at the feathers along her alula nervously, but Xira tossed back a thick and heavy mane to discourage the habit. She needed to focus, to discover once more her own words, and the nervous falcon was doing nothing to help.

The mare's navy eyes lit up with an idea, and as negative thoughts stirred within her consciousness, she knew how to communicate, at least to a certain extent."Odd and sort of nasty weather, isn't it?" the roan commented with a drier tone and a raise of her left brow. It appeared that the words only needed to be kind if they were directed to the akhal-teke before her. She could think of plenty of awful things about the weather and the day, the heat and the petulant falcon perched and picking at her withers, just not the bright mare before her. "...still, you did look quite nice in the darkened light," Xira said with a mental groan that she could not effectively convey. There came the compliment- she found herself unable to remember what she'd planned on even saying to the other mare.

Perhaps it would be better to just think in compliments. For now, anyway. Her eyes lifted to greet the other's and her lips curled up in genuine pleasure, though she still struggled to feel it. "Thank you, by the way," the chestnut roan began, realizing she had yet to acknowledge the earlier compliment. "Kye and I share a very special bond- I only hope you'll find it yourself someday," Xira said kindly, hating every word and yet forcing herself to resign herself to them. She trailed off as if it was a question, expectantly waiting for Mesir to reply. From her perch, Kye frantically forced her childish phrases into Xira's mind. Stop! the falcon cried- is not Xira!.

Unregistered

My blue eyes stare at Xira, still bewildered at the pure…niceness that was emanating from the mare. This cloud had royally screwed things up; our angry interaction was going well enough without us saying anything friendly towards each other. Why the sudden need to start now? I shift my hooves and nod at the green roan, in subtle thanks for the compliments of my looks and best wishes for my future. As much as I would hate to admit it to her, I wish for a companion like she has. My temper earns me a reputation that none want to intrude upon, leaving me quite lonely, with a void I know a companion could easily fill. She irritates me, this self-entitled, ignorant, bitch of a mare, but in a way we seemed to get each other. The sand is hot under my hooves, and I shift them in slight, dancing annoyance. Never before have I felt annoyed at my own lovely god for the heat he brings us, but in this moment, I feel like I want the sun to disappear. My blue eyes narrow in suspicion and I twitch my mane, silky black locks flowing easily down my neck.

Still, it is remarkable that Xira and I are finally agreeing on something, even if it is the annoyance of this cloud. Even the falcon, Kye, who accompanies the mare is frightened of the power this dark abyss seems to hold over us. Whenever I talk, it seems foreign, like it is someone else saying the words that come from my parted lips. Visibly irritated, I stare at the mare’s green eyes, hoping to convey that I completely understand what she is feeling, a concept that is new to me.

I clear my throat, trying to formulate words that have a wonderful, sarcastic tone to them, and yet my brain is empty. My lips work furiously, helplessly searching, and still nothing appears. I sigh and decide to settle on whatever the cloud tells me I should say. I open my mouth, bracing myself for the words about to escape. “I wish for a bond like that as well, someday. Being lonely gets irritating, you know? I just seem to repel others like two magnets with the same charge. That’s why I am glad I can talk to you.” I close my eyes, and shake my head. What stupid fool would ever decide to trust a cursed cloud? Oh. Right. Me.