the Rift

Hopes up high and your head down low - open

Cthulhu Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

the devil in me shivers
EVERY TIME THAT YOU BREATHE
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
xxxThese lands were entirely unfamiliar. Then again, most of the lands that Cthulhu wandered through tended to be unfamiliar, stretching before her in unexplored territories. The dunskin female never stayed in one place for too long, her guard making it hard for anyone to really approach her and draw her in. It wasn't like she meant to rebuff them, but she just... didn't trust them. Depending on others was just trouble, and Cthulhu was a firm believer of simply depending on one's self to make it through life. It'd gotten her this far, hadn't it? Yeah, it had, so she didn't have to worry too much about it. Or so she hoped.

xxxTurning her badger marked face from where she was facing, the sturdy built mare let her striped hooves come to a halt underneath of her, brushing through the emerald blades of grass. A sigh left her lips, and her pale ears twitched, taking in the sounds of what lay around her. The wooded area echoed with soft cries of animals and the occasional scurry of them as they made their way around the lands. Other than that, however, Cthulhu found herself wholly alone. In some ways, it was comforting, and in others it sort of bothered her. Maybe some day she'd drop her guard enough to let someone close to her, or someone would approach her and she wouldn't scare them off with her stand-offish nature.

xxxLowering her head, Cthulhu let out a sigh and pushed her thoughts out of her mind for the moment, parting her black lips before pulling at the grass. For now, she was content on snacking and loitering around this place, wherever 'this place' really was. It was peaceful, so she couldn't really complain about it. 'I wonder what's beyond this place. If this is peaceful, are the other lands around here?' It was a good question. Just because she was in one peaceful land didn't mean there were other ones. Violence was everywhere, no matter where you turned, and it wouldn't be a surprise if she came upon some bloodthirsty herd. She'd seen more than one of them as she wandered through her travels, and each one was the same as the last; led by some crazy horse that was either bent on revenge or just wanted to paint the world red with blood. Still... a peaceful land was a nice break. Every other land on the way here had been so desolate and woebegone, it'd been depressing. But this place... it was alive and teeming with rich colors and life.

xxxSmiling to herself, Cthulhu lifted her head and made her way towards a tree, casually leaning against it and rubbing to get at an itchy spot somewhere on her flank that she couldn't quite reach. She let out a "Ah..." sound of relief with the rubbing, feeling the itching subside before turning her attention towards the lands around her curiously, just observing what was around her in a casual sort of way.

Circe Posts: 101
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
M.E.
Circe

It was the faint skrch-skrch of the strange mare’s scratching that had caught Circe’s interest.

She must stop pushing herself like this; the shadowmere was not needed beyond her borders, and it was dangerous to roam these forests. She could delude herself into thinking she was doing a duty all she wanted, but the bottom line was that this was not a job given to her. Day and night the sorceress pushed her body to work, to scout the shadows of these strange lands, to look for any sort of danger that might befall her herdmates. To shy away from her homeland as often as she possibly could.

Today, Circe did not call upon the aid of the fireflies; she didn’t want such a crutch and shackle pinned to her. Besides, it was herpain to battle, and the tiny things would not last forever. Nothing lasted forever…even if the depths of her darkness begged to differ. With a heavy snort, Circe stepped over a fallen log, willing these darkening thoughts to fly away, out of her mind and out of her reckoning; it was at that moment, when her tail weaved behind her in an irate pattern, that she heard the curious sound.

It didn’t take long for Circe to find the perpetrator in the forest—the air was thin, and warm bodies leave their print quite easily. Circe slowed her hurried pace to a halt, her diligent gaze softening as she came into the presence of a curious sort of mare; she left some space between them, respecting the integrity of the woman’s person. She dipped her head in dignified gesture for contrition for bursting upon her so suddenly. “I apologize,” she said, her voice twisting from her mouth in a kind of velvet pleasantry, “Forgive me, but I was curious and cautious to the sounds you had made; one can never leave their back unprotected in the dead of these woods.”

Unregistered
the devil in me shivers
xxxThe lands were beginning to quiet, except for the occasional scampering of some animal, or light chirp of a bird. It was how she was able to hear the sound of someone moving around, someone a lot heavier than some mere little fox or rabbit. The sound of steps, and soon soft snorts, caused Cthulhu to perk up her ears and lift her head, her body pulling away from the tree.

xxxThe black strands of her mane fell over her face, and Cthulhu pursed her dark lips for a moment, her bright eyes darting back and forth until at last a body came into sight. She wouldn't have normally been startled, but her eyes widened and her head lifted up with a slight look of shock. This was no ordinary horse. The mare pinned her ears forward and tried to take in the shock of the sight before her. This mare.. this horse.. had a horn! Not only that, she had a tail like she'd seen on some of the larger cats in her travels. What on earth sort of land had she stumbled into?

xxxThe shock simmered down slightly on her face, but her mind was still whirling as she nodded, somewhat stiffly. "And here I thought this place was rather peaceful," she sighed, her voice guarded though soft. Blue eyes swept over the mare before her, more than once lingering on the horn that jutted out between them, and a sort of nervousness settled in Cthulhu's chest. She wasn't used to seeing horses with horns, no matter how nice they seemed to be at first. Being run through by one wouldn't be a pleasant experience, and with that in mind, Cthulhu realized she had to be a lot more cautious going through these lands. Wherever these lands were.

xxxClearing her throat gently, Cthulhu dipped her head slightly, her tangled mane falling in her face even as she lifted it back up slowly. She was staring and she knew it, so instead of skirting around it, Cthulhu decided to meet it headfirst in the most blunt way possible. "...What are you?" She hadn't meant for it to come out rudely, and the curiosity burned her, but she kept a distance. Obviously this was a horse... of some sort. Somehow. Just.. a little different. In all her nomadic journeying, she'd never seen a horse like this one.

notes: you'll have to excuse the tiny-ness of this post augh. i swear they'll get better. and you'll have to excuse cthulhu too, she's rather blunt haha.

Deceased
M.E.
Circe

It was a rather sudden transition from the serious, stoic depression that Circe had been going through lately; she watched the alarm that shot through the body of the strange mare, watched the shock and confusion flit across that face as clear as day—and somewhere, somehow, a chuckle threatened to unearth itself from the depths of Circe’s bosom. She hadn’t the slightest clue why—suppose the mare’s blunt, open demeanor was refreshing to Circe, only getting better as the mare murmured under her breath.

*"And here I thought this place was rather peaceful,"*

“You would think,” Circe said in answering, leaning back on one rear hoof while her tail waved lazily behind her in quiet amusement, “but I warn you now, stranger, that this peacefulness is only a façade. Don’t turn your back on it.” Her words were blunt, but they weren’t harsh in the slightest; indeed, in the depths of her tone was great interest and a hint of her old self shining through the dead croak of her futility. A spark began dancing to and fro inside her chest, and the boggled expression on the mare’s face only served to bring the subdued chuckle to the fore. Circe’s shoulders rumbled ever so slightly as a genteel snicker escaped her lips; What are you? the strange mare asked. How was one to answer such a question?

“What am I?” Circe repeated, her brow rising slightly as she regarded this unknown equine with bored and tickled eyes. Such a personal question to ask upon one’s first meeting—but the mare was honest and straightforward, and Circe would grace her with the same commendable attributes. Besides, she had placed Circe in a good mood. “I am a warrior. I am a unicorn. I am a sorceress. I am a mare, and this mare is called Circe.” She paused, furrowing her brow a little, her tail continuing to twist and coil behind her, her eyes continuing to regard the mare before her. “Now it is my turn to ask: What are you?

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Sounds had a tendency to carry in the forest, bouncing from tree to tree until someone heard. Shuffling hooves in the snow sounded ten times louder in the forest than in the open meadows of the Foothills. Voices sometimes seemed deafening. It drew all sorts of attention, especially the Chieftess of the Foothills. She moved quickly and as quietly as possible, listening as another voice joined, though quieter than the first. Her lips twitched into a grin when she recognized Circe's voice. She had to admit that her herd was doing a good job of recruiting new members to their herd and increasing their numbers.

As she came upon the duo, the Constricter stuck to the shadows the trees provided and watched, listening to the exchange. Despite herself she could not hold back the low chuckle at the newcomer's question. "What are you." A finely honed weapon, the Chieftess thought as she watched her executioner. A friend. A lover. A grieving mother. A friend. Family.

Eytan had been beside Ktulu her entire trip through the Threshold and now sat beside her, his large clawed paws splayed across the snow. He watched his bonded and when she inclined her head he moved from the shadows and came to stand opposite Circe, head tilted. The executioner would know that the Chieftess was there lurking in the shadows, watching and silently judging the newcomer. The bear sat and shifted his caramel eyes to the new mare and appraised her of his own accord.

ooc://
hope you guys don't mind c:
Ktulu's just hanging back in the shadows watching

Image Credits

Icon by Tay

Unregistered
the devil in me shivers
xxxCthulhu's lips pursed gently, the black forming a thin line that snaked across her features while the shock ebbed to a dull throb somewhere in her mind. Her immediate reaction was distrust towards anyone, so it was no surprise that the sturdy mare kept a wary eye on the.. horse.. in front of her. More importantly, she kept the sight of that deadly looking horn in her line of vision, unable to really look away from it. She wasn't bluntly staring at it, no, but took sneaky glances every so often while maintaining a rather respectful distance from the mare.

xxxThe bluntness from the other mare jarred Cthulhu somewhat, and she couldn't help but feel her lips curl reluctantly into a little smirk, curving one corner of her mouth. "I'll have to keep that in mind." Just when she thought she was getting a break and catching some time in a peaceful land, but it shouldn't have surprised her. Every land had it's dark and deep secrets, the sticky patches glossed over with a pretty face. Her features rumpled for a moment before smoothing back over and she leaned a back hoof up onto its tip, as if she was settling for a nice and relaxing chat with a friend. Though it was most certainly far from the current situation, she could at least act relaxed, even if her guard was up.

xxxCocking her ears forward, Cthulhu's expression softened just a little, the curiosity beginning to appear more in her gaze than anything else. What was this horse? A horse with a horn and an extremely odd tail. Or was she something else? Not many things much surprised Cthulhu, but this definitely did. Shaking her head just slightly to flick a few snowflakes from her nose, she snorted and watched her breath rise in a vapor, the tangled mess of her mane settling on her face again. The mare did listen to the one before her however, her blue eyes focusing on her. A unicorn? A sorceress? Those were the two words that hit her the most, though she did catch the name that came with them, her eyes refocusing for a moment as the question came at her.

xxxCthulhu smirked again, suddenly finding Circe more engaging than anyone else she'd come across. It was refreshing to have someone stand and take her blunt nature so easily. "I am a nomad. I am a mare in charge of her life, capable of taking care of herself and whatever issues she comes across. I am a fighter, and this fighter's name is Cthulhu." Her tongue curled around her name with ease, and she smirked subtly. She wouldn't call herself a warrior or anything grand, when she was just capable of taking care of those before her. The evidence was under her golden coat; a scattering of scars here and there.

xxxCthulhu's ears twitched as her words died in the cold air, and a ripple of unease ran through her body as the shadows seemed to give birth to a bear. Immediately, she shifted her weight more evenly onto her hooves, ready to either strike or run - whichever was needed - before her unease simply grew as the bear sat next to Circe. What was this?

notes: yeah she got kinda shocked there in the end like 'uh.. what'

Deceased
M.E.
Circe

The cold was biting, surely—but Circe didn’t feel it seep into her bones like it usually did, standing here listening to this mare name herself in the shadowmere’s midst. A fighter, she called herself—and a fighter she appeared to be, with her eyes sly and calculating, flitting about the place in an organized sort of flurry. Circe knew the look of one who scrapped for survival, and this mare named Cthulhu fit the part down to the tiniest detail.

Cthulhu. Circe regarded the name with another blip of amusement, but this was a personal observation, an pleasure that did not reveal itself in the light of her eye or the movement of her weaving tail. However, it seemed that fate paid attention to her wayward thoughts—for out of the shadow of the forest came a most familiar bundle of brown fur and powerful sinew: Eytan. Circe looked down upon the bear as it settled itself in front of her, her kind smile ever growing as she regarded the ursine. Surely it could mean only one thing—that somewhere near the shadows breathed and beat with the rhythm of its own heart; the Dark Lady was somewhere near, perhaps watching them at this moment. Circe’s eyes didn’t search for her, however. No, they remain fixed upon the fighter before her, knowing that the regard of shadows around them could put Cthulhu even more on edge than she was already. Circe didn’t wish to inflict fear upon her acquaintance …no, the shadowmere wished to hear more from her curious friend, for her words were proving to be intriguing.

Circe bent to rest her muzzle upon the brow of the bear in greeting, if he allowed it; she then noted the agitation in Cthulhu’s demeanor at the presence of the bear. “He is no enemy to us,” she murmured, attempting to mollify the mare’s instinctual fear. Of course, Etyan could prove to be a dangerous adversary indeed if the mares decided to goad him into such extremes—but that was a basic understanding that Circe assumed the nomad understood quite well. One did not survive long in the wilds without knowing these fundamental matters.

Raising her head back to its customary height, Circe regarded her companion for another span of heartbeats with an inscrutable gaze—she noted the way Cthulhu’s eyes flicked to her horn every few moments—and she broke into an inquiry. “I wonder,” Circe began, her curious thoughts snaking the throaty alto of her voice, “You enter this strange place a nomad—but do you intend to remain so? I have no doubt you are a strong mare, but even the strongest find greater than their share of trouble on this island of insanity when they choose to walk the path alone.” It wasn’t quite a threat—there was no reason to threaten this mare. No, these were true words that Circe spoke, words of caution and a narrative of those misshapen souls that dared wander this place with proud, solitary hearts. “However….there are ways to ease the pressure of survival, persons who would offer protection and a shield to cover your back, if you would allow them.”

She paused, the tip of her tail curling tightly once. “I would offer my own shield,” came the proposition. Her curiosity peaked, and though she wore a faint smirk upon her lips, her eyes gazed with serious intensity towards Cthulhu, appreciating what she saw-- a mare in charge of her life, capable of taking care of herself -- and finding she wouldn’t mind this mare as a shield-sister, and knowing she’d be a worthy ally and adversary if she chose the path of seclusion. Only fate would know the outcome.

Unregistered
the devil in me shivers
xxxThe bite of the cold was a mere dull sort of chill that ebbed and flowed over her body, existing only when she acknowledged it or paid attention to the pale clouds that formed from her nose and mouth. It wasn't as attention worthy as the mare in front of her, and Cthulhu kept her unwavering gaze on the mare, her body shifting its weight gently and into a more comfortable position on her hooves. Or at least had attempted some grasp on comfort before tensing up at the sight of the large bear that slipped out from the shadows and settled in the snow before her and near Circe.

xxxAs tense as she was, she knew better than to provoke in any way, but all her assumptions on the bear were tossed out of the window as Crice greeted it. Now that.. was as unheard of as unicorns to her. What sort of world had she stumbled into? Things were strange in this land, and the unease prickled even more over her skin, bothering her far more than the nip of the cold at her heels and nose. Her instincts were telling her to give the bear a wide berth and respect, and yet Circe was simply touching this bear as if it were an old friend. Instincts and facts warred in her mind, giving way to the confusion that flitted over her face and she shook her head gently to clear it out. "I've never seen such an exchange." Again with the bluntness in her tones, and her head lifted to a normal height as her ears pinned halfway back. She knew better than to approach or disrespect the bear, and this... baffled her.

xxxTaking her eyes off the bear for a moment (against her instinct), Cthulhu instead focused on Circe once more. The bear was doing nothing, and though her muscles were coiled with an adrenaline surge ready for flight if necessary, her outer shell became more relaxed looking. She would put her instincts aside for now, though it was obvious she was still keeping a steady sort of alertness on both the ursine and unicorn in front of her. Those pale ears flickered, twin peaks in a mussy mass of black hair, as she listened to Circe speak.

xxxIntend to remain a nomad? It was a good question, and one that Cthulhu didn't take lightly. She wrapped her thoughts around it, keeping a keen ear on Circe as her mind whirled for a moment. Herds and groups were a hassle most of the time, with the majority squabbling amongst one another. Was there a chance that somewhere in these lands, there'd be a herd willing to accept her and her bold as brass nature? Certainly Circe seemed to tolerate it, and had one of her own that made Cthulhu smile. It was nice to find someone as bold as she could be. Tilting her head curiously, the marked mare watched Circe, still listening and contemplating her words as she heard them. Was she offering what Cthulhu thought?

xxxShe was. The words startled Cthulhu slightly, and she flicked her tail just once, feeling the tendrils of hair drag over her flank and back leg before going still. "I suppose after so long, a shield sister would be a comfort, especially in a land I know nothing about. I... will accept your shield, and offer my own in return." An exchange of loyalties, though the two barely knew one another. Perhaps it was the fact Circe was so engaging and able to bear her rather prickly surface, pushing underneath and reminding her of herself, like looking in a mirror. If a mirror had the ability to change appearances that is.

notes: my muse took the worst dive, i'm so sorry D:

Deceased
M.E.
Circe

It seemed a long time for the Cthulhu to make her decision—just as well, as Circe didn’t want the mare to rush headlong into such a life altering decision. Still, seconds passed as minutes, and the chill air around them began to swirl with a light flurry of the tiniest flakes of sleet. Its arrival brought Circe back to her senses somewhat; it was cold, the snowfall would pick up, and it would be in their best interest to find shelter before they became frostbitten and emergency amputation would be necessary for their survival.

The shadowmere’s head lowered slightly, an inclination of her horn, her weapon, as the nomad renounced her wandering days and accepted Circe’s offer to become comrades officially. It was a surprising relief to Circe, for she hadn’t noticed that she was holding her breath—but then she supposed it wouldn’t be in her best interest to be enemies with this mare. If tonight was any sort of indication of what Cthulhu was like in her deepest core, Circe would anticipate a desperate battle indeed between the two of them if it came to pass, and it was much better knowing there was one less adversary in the world.

Her treatment of Eytan was met with bafflement—but she couldn’t really blame Cthulhu for her incredulousness, could she? Indeed, Circe would’ve been just as perplexed by such a spectacle upon entering these blasted lands, but after recruiting a leopard of all things and being in the midst of all sorts of scaly, flying bastards of predators, it would be quite hypocritical for Circe to find anything bizarre in the greeting of superior and friend. “There are even stranger things than this stalking the land,” she advised her golden acquaintance, but the tone with which she spoke was one of empathy; she even nodded her understanding, and in the language of her body she spoke a little more: It gets downright insane in this place. I’ve seen it.

The shadowmere composed herself then, for Cthulhu had just entered a covenant and it was upon Circe’s shoulders to properly instruct her as to what sort of contract she had signed. “We are the Grey,” Circe stated simply, her eyes wandering over a little to look north where her home lie not so far away. “We are warriors, fighting for those who have not the strength or the gut to do so. Some, like me, are called to battle the moment battle calls; others trains as healers, artisans, and wise-folk, using their talents for combat when there is great need. We may fight for any herd who calls upon us--first and foremost, however, we look out for ourselves and protect ourselves from the dangers and twists of this land, for there is little a treaty can do to protect from the backstabbing of a traitor. Know this; the Grey are many things, but we are not traitors.” She paused, and her small smile acquired an ironic, bitter twist. “Some call us heartless for our willingness for combat—but in this place, it is an inevitability.”

She stopped then, appraising Cthulhu briefly for her reaction to her explaination. “I hope this covenant sounds satisfactory?” she asked, a brow raised slightly as her eyes flicked downwards towards Eytan’s earthen hide. “Have I missed something?” Circe looked to Eytan, but the question was really for her Dark Lady, wondering if she did her herd justice in her representation. She hadn’t lied, to the best of her knowledge; that was for sure.

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Ktulu listened silently to and watched the exchange between the two mares. Every reaction from this Cthulhu was met with judgement from the Constrictor. While she trusted Circe's judgment enough she still liked to reserve judgment for those who would come to call her home theirs. This one, she thought, just might become a valuable asset to them as all warriors were. If she could get over her bumbling astonishment of everything she felt didn't meet the norms she had identified in her own head. She would soon find that there was just about nothing in Helovia that fit under the category of normal. There was abnormal and downright strange in most instances.

"Have I missed something?"

"I believe you've covered most everything." Ktulu's voice sounded from the shadows. The fireflies that had surrounded her since the Ancient Bear's death flickered around her and had been for some time, but fireflies were not unique to her. They roamed the whole of Helovia. As Ktulu stepped from the shadows several of the little bugs clung to her mane, flickering away while the others floated around her. "We have a stance of neutrality to all herds." She added in her crimson orbs gazed at the other mare's face. "The only loyalty we hold is to our own." Her head lifted slightly and at that point Eytan abandoned Circe and returned to his bonded's side. "I am Ktulu." She said, still taken aback by the similarities of their names. "Leader of the Grey's Executioners and warriors. Where do you stand with us?" She questioned. "Would you spill your blood for the good of your herd or would you sick to the shadows and aid your herd with information on targets and enemies?"

Image Credits

Icon by Tay