the Rift

[PRIVATE] Fairy Lights and Silver Nights

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

"Hello Lakota...my name is Alleo, I'm your big brother. I love you, my heart."

"Lakota? What a strange name!"
"Excuse me? Who the fuck are you, and what gives you the right to judge my name?"
"I'm just saying, you seem like you'd have a really delicate name, you know? And I'm Ithrim. At your service, Princess Lakota."

"Hello Hana...my name is Lakota, I'm your big sister. I love you, my little flower. I promise, you won't end up like me."

"Worthless! You disgusting welp get out of my sight! You couldn't even be born the right color you little bitch! You're a demon, a curse, just like your grandmother!"

"You're beautiful, Lakota."
"Liars aren't becoming, Ithrim."
"Which is why you shouldn't listen to your family, darlin'."

"Leo...what does love feel like?"
"Oh dear. What have you gotten yourself into, my heart?"

"I love you, Lakota."
"I love you too, Ithrim."

"When did you know you loved me, Ithrim?"
"The moment I laid eyes on you. When did you?"
"When you first smiled at me."

"Aww, look at my little Lakota, all tuckered out. Sleep, darling."
"Stay with me?"
"Forever."

"I-I'm so sorry Ithrim...I'm so so sorry..."
"D-Don't be, Lakota. I would ne-never regret loving you."
"You fool! Even if it me-meant you would-!"
"Even if it meant I would die. I would love you a thousand lifetimes and never regret it."
"Don't say that, Ithrim, please. You're not going to...you're going to stay here, with me, okay? I love you, please, don't leave me..."
"Silly Lakota...I pr-promised...I would stay with you forever..."
"Ithrim, no, please, I love you!"
"Kota...I love you...don't let this be the last time you love...you have so much of it to give. I'll be waiting for you on the other side, darling. Don't come to me too early. Love, Lakota. For me."
"Okay, okay, I promise...I-I promise...Ithrim? Ithrim? No, no no no no no! Ithrim! ITHRIM!"

Choked scream echoed from a throat clogged with tears, mulberry eyes flying open and legs scrabbling at earth until she was throwing herself onto her hooves to stand. Ao was at her side in an instant, warm body pressed against her right foreleg, making soft sounds and surrounding her in love and concern through their bond. Breaths came sharply to the sapphire mistress, heaving in her terror and agony. Crown dropped in defeat until her lips brushed the frozen snow below, thin frame quaking weakly. "Haven't had that one in a while. I'm alright, Aodaun," she whispered to him, bitter and cynical. A few moments passed, merely sitting there with Ao at her side, until it had passed. It was no longer hurting the more time went on, and for that she was thankful. Shaking her mane free of the white frosting that had gathered upon her locks, the poisoner lifted her head as high as she could; eyes closed, face relaxed, breathing softened. The sky was obsidian and so dark it nearly hurt. She let it consume her, washing over her in its freezing glory until it bled every thought of her dead lover free like a spile draining the essence of a maple tree.

When she glanced down, Aodaun was gazing back up at her. An anchor in the storm that had swept her up in her sleep, when she was helpless and small. He had been by her side the entire time, it showed in the glow of a surprisingly cloudless night in his violet eyes. A nearly-full moon shone overhead, illuminating the snow that would never melt upon her spine long after Frostfall faded into Birdsong. It danced in silver slivers in her prince's eyes, and likely in her own as well. For long minutes they were simply there, staring at each other, lost in a world that belonged only to the two of them. Finally the woman let a tired smile curl her lips, eyes fluttering to a close like the wings of a butterfly upon landing in a place it felt safe. Dipping her head down to brush her muzzle against the warm fur of her beloved. Ao gave a soft growl, one that many would mistake for threatening, but Lakota knew it was sweet and loving. Once they broke away, she nudge him sharply and- taken by surprise- he was flipped onto his side in the knee-high snow. The look on his sweet face was just too funny, the sapphire vixen couldn't help but laugh softly into the silent night around them.

Before he could right himself, the exiled princess lifted her endless delicate legs and cleared the tall snow in long bounds, quite similar to a deer in how easily she navigated the frustratingly tall snow drifts. Laughter trailed behind her like fairy lights, a glowing lantern trail that her beloved prince could follow, tempting him deeper into the velvet reaches of the night. As if she had stolen his heart away like a vampiric seductress, he chased after her heels persistently, both of them able to fly over the snow easily. He had been born in this environment, and she had the fluidity of animals that did not belong to her species. Together, they raced with only the slightest of sounds through their midnight surroundings. Swish of the snow as they kick it up in their play, soft tinkling laughter from the navy and ebony doll, little growls and huffs from her marble companion, and the pants of their breath as it ghosted in films of ivory in the air around them. The ground was slick beneath their limbs, the earth iced over only to be covered with thick blankets of snow, and it made running rather dangerous. Neither could find it in themselves to care.

Game of tag continued on, switching from one to the other as they brushed and bumped each other. Fireflies had slowly started blinking to life, lighting up the sky in topaz and mint, dancing within the stilled confines of the blinking porcelain pinpricks dotting the night sky. How they could possibly appear with the weather so cold was beyond Lakota, but the massive glow their large numbers created, and the twisting blinking trail they weaved, was more than enough to make her forget such silly inquiries. The two playful companions crested a tall hill, and the doe caught Aodaun's eyes with a wild grin, communicating through snippets of images without needing words. They found the top, and neither slowed. Together they leapt as one; a graceful arch of legs and spine, dark limbs tucked close to a birdlike chest and shoving her airborne simultaneously while her pale prince had already started to dive down towards earth once more, large coal padded paws outstretched to catch himself once more. Crashing down, his mistress slid her hindquarters towards the earth's core, and as he followed her movements they went sliding quickly down the slope in a spray of ice and snow. At the bottom they went off kilter and, one laughing and the other yipping, they went sprawling. Rolling over and over until her momentum was exhausted.

Ao crawled dizzily over to her, lying flat up against her, belly to the snow as he shared his inherent warmth. Lakota remained on her side, half tilted upon her spine. Long inky locks spread over the bloodless snow, tainting it as she lay prone beneath the dancing fireflies and the swollen moon. And in that moment, she began to laugh. Laugh until her lungs hurt, bells and chimes in her girly curse, as she reveled in the immense joy she felt.

Ithrim may not be with her physically, but he guarded her from the spirit realm, and he lived forever within her heart. A memory could not hurt her. She would try her hardest to open her heart once more, though it twinged to remember how badly it was broken beneath the ice and glass she'd encased it in.

Would it even be worth breaking her self-preserving precautionary measures? The pain lurking beneath made her feel sick to even recall.

You have so much of it to give.

Laughter softened into something sorrowful and sweet. She turned her eyes to the orange clay beads woven into her mane with a sad smile, giggling gently as if sharing a private, cynical joke with herself.

"But who is willing to accept it, Ithrim?"

---
Tag: @[Ktulu]
Notes: So sorry this took so long, noodle! Hope it's okay!

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

when your eyes are red and emptiness is all you know
with the darkness fed i will be your scarecrow</style>

Sleep came in short intervals to Ktulu as it always had ever since she'd been old enough to have memories. As a foal the night had always been something to fear, especially for a filly who was nearly crippled. She remembered being told time and again that dangers lurked in the darkness around them, something she took to heart especially after her sister had been stolen and again when they had been chased from their home by the shades. Sometimes in her sleep she heard them. The awful rustling that signaled their approach. She heard the screams of those that were fighting and dying. Still smelled the metallic scent of blood as it filled the air around them. She still saw their demonic red eyes and felt the slashing of their bodies against her own.

Ktulu's eyes snapped open and she stared out into the darkness and waited for her eyes to adjust to the darkness that surrounded her. Above her the moon hung high in the sky, shining down brightly on the landscape below, though there was not nearly enough to melt away the shadows. Never mind that. Ktulu no longer minded the shadows or feared the darkness as she had before. She'd become stronger and had learned to become one with the darkness when she needed to. Her tail flicked and the fireflies that had nestled there to sleep stirred awake. The mare shook her mane next, rousing the fireflies that had settled there as well. The fluttering of their wings was minute, but in the utter silence of the night it was a nearly deafening roar. All around her they began to flicker and she watched them, wondering if they would ever leave or if they would stay with her. She hoped they stayed so she would always have a little part of the Ancient Bear whom had thought her worthy enough to call Eytan her Bonded Companion.

After a few minutes the Chieftess shifted her weight, silently groaning as her muscles protested to the movement. The cold had seeped into her muscles and bones in the short time that she had been dozing. Joints cracked and popped when the first few steps were taken but her body's protest ceased when her blood finally began to flow and when it did it brought warmth to her. Several feet behind her Eytan grumbled and at that Ktulu halted and turned her head toward his furry brown form that was curled protectively around her young daughter. Her gaze locked with his and he lowered his head to rest on Ranjiri once more. He would keep her warm and safe until she returned to them.

Most of her walk was made in silence with only the fluttering wings of the fireflies that accompanied her. Still, Ktulu's ears rotated as she listened for any noise. It would be unusual for her to hear one of her own stirring this late at night, but it would not be unusual for predators to be lurking. This thought altered her path and she veered toward the borders of her land only to stop at the distant sound of laughter. Her head lifted and turned in the direction she thought it came from, every muscle taught as she waited to spring into action, but it was only laughter. Was there anything dangerous about that? Curious, maybe.

Ktulu abandoned all thoughts of walking the border under the moonlight, for the time being anyway, and followed the sound of laughter. She realized as she drew closer that she recognized it. Distinctively feminine and all Lakota. Despite herself her lips twitched into a grin as she followed the sound and soon found who she was looking for playing tag with her young companion. The Chieftess' advanced stopped and she stood in the shadows and watched their game until it finally came to an and with both of them lying in the snow looking completely spent and ready for sleep. She wondered if they knew she was there or even suspected it.

The fireflies that usually stuck close to her began to drift toward Lakota, dancing in the air above her and her charge. Some of the others nestled back in Ktulu's hair, though they continued to flicker within the pale locks. Soon the ones that had drifted off began to come back to her and Ktulu watched them, still wondering about the little bugs that had been with her since the bear's passing. What did they do, if anything at all? Why had he given them to her? All things she could stew on at some other time she supposed, because her attention was once again drawn to Lakota at the sound of her voice, though she did not hear the question that she had asked herself.

Snow crunched under her hooves as she left the sanctuary of the shadows that she had found. "Lakota." She murmured to her poisoner and friend. "You're up late... Is everything alright?"

Credits

Icon by Tay

Beneath a tri-toned canvas, snow is so thick and frozen that even the heat of the dame lying sprawled out attractively upon its surface cannot fully diminish it. Heated by exercise, her temperature is higher than normal, but even so the frozen layers beneath her resist. It is no longer biting her skin, instead cooling her pleasantly from their activities, and the huffing cub at her side seemed to feel the same. His warmth seeps into her spine comfortingly, familiarly, but a shudder rippled across the long arches of her body when the wind blows against her skin. It reminds her of the actual temperature surrounding them, and her slight discomfort stirs her companion. Hauling himself to still too-large paws, he clambered gracelessly onto her side, short black nails pricking into her side. Automatically cringing and laughing at the small stabs, she disrupted the precious cargo balancing upon the tiny crest of her belly. With a soft noise of surprise Ao went tumbling forward, sliding and curling until, quite like a ball, he flopped upon his spine and lay sprawled out for the second time that day upon the perfect background to camouflage him.

Her renewed laughter at his antics was broken off into a soft sound of surprise as the fireflies the pair had followed danced above her. With childlike awe she stared up at the tiny glowing creatures, topaz reflecting in the mulberry of her irises, shining in the doe-like features of her eyes. Why shouldn't she gaze upon it with such an unguarded expression? There was nobody she was aware of awake at this hour of night, and nobody within sight. Who was there to see her, to judge and mock her for her weakness? Apparently she was wrong to let her guard down, for Aodaun's fuzzed head shifted and his body rolled, nudging at their bond insistently to alert his princes that they were not as alone as they had thought. Snow shuffles not far from where they lay, muffled falls of hooves that crunch the thin layer of ice that forms uncomfortably atop the pearled mounds.

The princely child is already upon his feet, and his princess rolls quickly upon her belly, endless legs curled close like a foal cloaked in hay by its mothers side. There is nothing to truly fear in the borders of her home, and so her bonded does not send her the visage of the one who approaches. Nevertheless she is upon her hooves as fast as her lanky limbs allow her, startled from her private sanctuary by the sudden appearance of...who? Dark harks flicker to attention like perfect soldiers, frame giving a small shiver, kept hidden to the best of her abilities until her gaze alighted upon the one who approached. Dark and light meld in the bodice of the lass who ventures closer in the silver lantern glow of the moon overhead, a figure Lakota knows almost intimately. Her startled, wide-eyed features soften into curiosity and confusion. From the dame's lips her name falls, a greeting hidden within its soft lyric. "Ktulu," she greeted warmly in return, though no smile played upon her lips, for she still held an owlish look of confusion, caught unaware.

Stepping high over the snow, her shins aching from pushing through the ice layer on top, Lakota moved to meet Ktulu in the middle. Pausing only when the question directed to her met her audits, a flash of pain over her features that smoothed over into peace once more, the same peace she'd felt when she'd calmed from her nightmare. Pausing to rest comfortably in front of her, though her heart felt as if it were trying to run itself through a wire fence in its desire to...to do what? She still couldn't figure out where the needle in the compass of her heart was pointing, and even if she could there was no way she'd be able to discern what it told her to do. "I'm well, Chieftess. I was awoken by a bad memory that seeped into my dreams, and decided to enjoy the night while I could." The normal play of her lyrics, calling her by her title, was slightly weak. But a smile ghosted over her lips, pleasing and kind of shy. "And you, Ktulu? What draws you out at this hour? Are you alright?" Concern laced her tone, crown tilting slightly and brows drawing slightly, advancing a few steps.

There is a line you cannot cross, Lakota.

Ktulu's head tilted as she watched her poisoner climb to her hooves, the look on her face bringing a grin to Ktulu's own. "Did I catch you at a bad time?" She asked, confident then that she had caught her poisoner playing with her bonded, not that there was anything wrong with it. When Eytan was a cub she'd allowed herself to romp around the forest with him when no one could catch her. The last thing she'd wanted then and even now was to be caught doing something that would label her as soft. She had an image to uphold even if that image wasn't completely truthful.

She'd lived her whole life being tough and keeping everyone that wasn't family at an arm's length and even then she kept some of her family at a distance. It was only recently that she'd even started showing a little care and concern for others. Her gaze softened as she looked from Lakota to the little polar bear cub who blended in effortlessly with the snow.

"Are you plagued with night terrors often?" She found herself asking Lakota at the mention of her bad dream. Night terrors had tormented her when she was a foal. It was strange to her now, looking back on that time of her life when she was so scared of the darkness when now she embraced it. It was proof that she'd grown in many ways, though some ways she wasn't sure any of her family was proud of.

She sighed as she gaze raised back to Lakota's face, her ears tilting forward as she listened for an answer, whatever it might be. All around them the fireflies continued to twinkle like stars. "I'm fine." Ktulu answered with a shake of her mane that sent more of the lightning bugs flying and twinkling around them. "It doesn't hurt to walk the borders at night." She said in answer for the reason she was out and about. "Care to walk with me?"

Credits

Icon by Tay

Lakota
                     Her smile makes you wonder where she's been

Warmth spreads like a lover's caress across her delicate cheekbones at the grin Ktulu flashes her, knowing it is directed at her owlish expression. But she can't help it, she grins back, delighted that she managed to amuse her Chieftess even if it was at her own expense. If it had her friend feeling a little lighter of heart and shoulder, she would become her own one-man circus. Ktulu was likely the only soul that share no blood relation to her whom she'd let see her in such a vulnerable state. Not only physically, but emotionally. Ao was a wonderful little prince, and an even better protector, but she didn't want him growing up cold like she had. She wanted him to know, without a doubt, that she loved him unconditionally and would die for him as he would for her. If it made her appear weak, as if she were unable to discipline a child, then she would let them judge her in that fashion. Somehow she knew Ktulu would never do that, if only because Eytan had played with her long locks on multiple occasions, never failing to bring a smile to her face. "No, you're quite alright. Though I may have to silence you about what you've seen," she joked softly, giving a playful wink. It hurt her heart at times, but she didn't want Ktulu to think things were different- even if they were.

Aodaun preened under Ktulu's attentions, though it was clear he was searching for Eytan to play with. Disappointed whine seeps out when he is not found, but the ball of snowy fur plunged through the flakes with ease to leap and twirl beneath their Chieftess' legs and belly, diving towards her tail with enthusiasm. He loved Ktulu as Lakota did, but in his childlike state had no inhibitions or fears, and often couldn't understand or sympathize with his princess. The soft, careful question Ktulu spoke while her crimson irises were upon her prince startled Lakota. Her own eyes flickered up to Ktulu's face, suddenly vulnerable. Realizing this, she glanced down at her hooves, dragging the tip of one through the snow idly, suddenly nervous and withdrawn at the confession upon her lips. "Yes, I'm afraid so. I admit I don't sleep often anymore because of it, it's been affecting me for years. Sleeping with someone usually eases it, but Hana is so independent and different now...Aodaun is all I have at night anymore, but it's not quite the same." Her stomach dropped as she realized that she'd given away far too much, wondering why Ktulu could get her to confess so much so easily.

Feeling the other mare's eyes upon her features once more, mulberry irises lifted somewhat nervously to meet her gaze. They were illuminated in soft tangerine glows, and Lakota couldn't help as her eyes were drawn astray by the pretty little creatures. Even so she managed a small, sincere smile towards her Chieftess as Ao played at her feet. "I'm glad. How is Ranjiri faring? Is Hototo enjoying his new role as big brother?" Hm. Was it strange that she knew so much about her Chieftess? She reasoned that no, it couldn't be, for both children were mildly famous for being offspring of a herd leader. "You and Ophelia both...already achieving what I've always wanted, and far before my own time! I'm afraid I'll be an old grandmother, watching over your children, without ever having one of my own." Mirth sparkled in her eyes, even if sincerity was hidden in each lyrics; sadness in each playful shine of her gazers. She'd longed for children for years...so young, her leaders. It made her feel old, unable to measure up to Ktulu or her twin. She was just a worn out, frail, broken skeleton with nothing but longing and anger in her heart and blood upon her muzzle.

But...she was also weak for her Chieftess. So when the invitation for a walk was extended, Lakota smiled shyly, hesitantly, and nodded her crown. "If we're both sleepless, I'd be unable to think of better company." Quickly she internally kicked herself. Do you want to just blurt it out, Kota? Watch your tongue! Thinning frame moved forward through the scratched-out snow where they'd romped, sticklike in comparison to her normal stature. She'd just blame it on the season, she idly mused. Muzzle extended slightly towards Ktulu's, allowing her the greeting if she desired it, but moving to her side nonetheless. Allowing her to take the lead, the Poisoner blinked plum eyes at her, cherishing the moments alone she had with Ktulu. Perhaps it would mend the chips in her heart later on when she was left lonely and unwanted once more. After all, Lakota could never measure up to a God or a General. She was just the lowly Earth Medic who followed Ktulu around like a shadow, extending wingless love and protection to every part of her family. Shadows and light should not mix, after all.

Credits

Ktulu's head tilted minutely at Aodaun's disappointed whine, which she attributed to Eytan's absence. The two had become fast friends and Eytan had taken a protective role over the younger bear, especially when his own bonded's emotions were running high and the cub happened to be around. She watched him as he quickly got over his disappointment and began to play around her legs and under her belly before turning his attentions on her tail. She flicked it out of his reach, sending more fireflies airborne. The pale, silken strands of her tail floated down around her hocks only for her to flick it again, keeping the youngster entertained while she spoke with his bond mate.

Finely shaped ears were tilted forward as the Chieftess listened to her poisoner's answer to the question she had posed. Lakota's gaze dropped to her hooves and Ktulu took that chance to study the other mare, noting the gauntness of her face and the sharp contours of her body that had once been supple and gently curved as they should have been. Winter was harsh, yes, but she did not think it had dragged on long enough for her to have lost the weight that she had. The possibility that she was sick crossed her mind and Ktulu felt a strange tightness in her chest that threatened to steal her breath.

She nodded her head at Lakota's answer. Part of her wished that Lakota had told her about it before but she also understood the need for privacy. "Sleep is important." Ktulu said carefully. "As is eating." That came out a little more pointedly that Ktulu would have liked, but her poisoner did not look well to her. "If you're having trouble sleeping you can come to me. Ranjiri would like someone other than myself and Eytan to sleep with." And Ktulu, herself, would like to have adult company from time to time. "Whatever I can do to help you I will." Wasn't that what friends were supposed to do?

"Ranjiri is well." The Chieftess continued on. "Hototo and Cera both seem to have taken to being big brothers quite well." And she supposed Midas had taken well to being a father, but she had not seen him since the birth of their daughter. Perhaps having a family wasn't all that concrete. Her head tilted again when Lakota mentioned her own desire to have children. "Your time just probably has not come yet." Ktulu answered. "There is no set age to have children, is there?" Her tone became serious. "I would not have children had it not been for the Earth God seeking me out. I still am unsure what it is about myself that he found so ... appealing and fitting for a mother." It was a selfish desire to try and cement another to herself that led to a second child and that seemed like it had failed now that she looked back on it, but you live and you learn and you move on with your life. "The right stallion just hasn't come around yet. Don't get dejected." She wasn't good at this cheering up stuff, but she gave it a shot.

Ktulu's grin returned at Lakota's compliment. "I'd have to agree, Kota." She responded. She stepped closer to touch her muzzle to Lakota's, breathing a puff of warm air to her. Her touch lingered for a moment before she withdrew and inclined her head in a manner that would tell Lakota she was ready for their walk to begin.

Credits

Icon by Tay

Lakota

Pale tendrils float up and away, though the quick flash of motion does not match well with the word. Delighted, Aodaun growls and continues to chase the ever flickering locks, chasing and skidding and tumbling in the snow, uncaring of appearances. Lakota spared a moment to giggle at his behavior, long since past being embarrassed in Ktulu's presence over her feminine delighted sounds. It makes the dark, skinny vixen nostalgic to remember when dark raven locks had been in the place of those alabaster tendrils. When it was she entertaining a darker bear, not a lighter one. Aodaun idolized Eytan, and the comparisons were easy to draw both from the bear and mare point of view. He was oblivious to the emotions that surfaced in both does upon this meeting as he played to his heart's content.

Lakota on the other hand was intimately aware of Ktulu's gaze upon her form, trembling beneath it, almost as if caressing fingers had danced ticklishly upon her spine to cause the full body shiver. She never had been able to keep anything hidden from Ktulu. The observant lead would surely see the haunting slim of her frame, and Lakota wasn't ready to answer as to why she was wasting away so quickly. But she had to face her actions, the curse she carried with her, and so bravely lifted her eyes to garnets to take whatever was given. The careful tone over sleep whittled away into sharpness, and Lakota automatically withdrew, face hardening into an emotionless facade, the one Ktulu had first viewed when they'd met in the Threshold. Then it warbled and cracked and she slid her eyes away in shame and admittance. "Don't worry over me, Ktulu. I'm...well...it's complicated." She couldn't manage to say 'I'm fine'. She'd never be able to lie to the forever honest woman who stood before her cloaked in fireflies. Even so she was touched that she extended a place at her side, her family's side, for the nights she could not greet Morpheus. The gratitude was clear on her face as she spoke, "Thank you. I may take you up on that." In her words came the truth in her tone- she would definitely seek out Ktulu's side when her night terrors consumed her.

A smile touched her lips upon hearing the news of her children, a name she was unfamiliar with appearing. "Cera?" she puzzled, knowing she had not missed any births lately. But there was a sensitivity to her features as Ktulu spoke, a sore subject for her. With the soreness came a bitter pinprick of a reply, sorrow in her eyes. "My time doesn't come, Ktulu. I am far from manageable. Seasons ago I'd been so hopeful, only to have the only person who was not afraid to stand by my side slaughtered before me by my own family. My vengeance could not bring him back, nor the foals we'd dreamed of." This was the first time she'd ever alluded to Ithrim, and the quiet shake of fury in her vocals tangled with sorrow and time-based healing and acceptance. "I'm not exactly a spring filly, Ktulu. I'm older than you and your sister. Possibly put together. And I'm kind of a bitch," she laughed softly, though the self-deprecation was painfully obvious. So much for lightening the mood. "But you...there are plenty of reasons the Earth King would name you the mother of his son. You care, but do not coddle. You encourage growth and strength, open-mindedness and solidarity. But you love them unconditionally, without faltering in your duties as a leader. To me, it's clear why you would be chosen." Birdlike shoulders shrugged easily, falling into awkwardness through her compliments. But a sparkle of laughter was kindled in her gazers, and she laughed. "Oh dear, that brings back some funny memories. I've never held myself to only one gender...love is love, and such a strong emotion shouldn't have boundaries or stipulations. But...I'm also a bit of a romantic..." her voiced dropped to quiet shyness, like a filly with her first confession just passing her lips.

In the end they were both grinning, and Lakota nearly glowed with happiness that Ktulu thought the same. Reaching forth she let out a soft sigh of contentment and relief when the touch was reciprocated. Their breaths mingled in a cloud that covered both features, but as they pulled away after a moment of lingering friendly affection, Lakota clearly saw the inclination of a crowned face. Smiling she began to walk beside her, Ao rushing ahead of them to play in the firefly glowlights on the snow. "It's strange to know the Grey has come so far...but I'll always just be your Poisoner, I don't think I'll ever fit another title," she giggled playfully, extending a bony shoulder to nudge gently, oh so gently, against the mare sharing the beauty of the night with her.

---
Notes: 100th Post!!! <3

Credits

Ktulu's lips pressed together in a thin line at the emotionless mask that came over Lakota's face, acting like a shield so she would not see what was troubling the other mare. She may not have seen all the troubled emotions that had been hidden from her view, but she saw the physical appearance of her dear friend. She saw the way that her hips jutted out from her sides and the hollow spaces between each of her ribs. She looked gaunt and unhealthy, even for the winter. Ktulu knew that she, herself, was not as fit as she normally was during the warmer months. Weight loss was common during Frostfall, but for Lakota to lose so much weight so quickly... she had to have had a headstart. Ktulu didn't like it. She wouldn't accept it. She just wouldn't.

"Don't worry over me, Ktulu. I'm...well...it's complicated."

"I worry over what and whom I choose." Ktulu said as she inclined her head. She watched as Lakota's gaze slid away, the thin line she'd pressed her mouth into now forming a frown. How could she not worry? Her friend's health was in question, but also the health of the herd was. If Lakota was sick then she risked jeopardizing the health of the rest of them. If she was sick and she had something that could not be cured by their healers she could spread it. If it was contagious then Ktulu would have to consider ousting her for the sake of the rest of the herd, but could she do it? Could she kick the closest friend she had to the curb and leave her to fend for herself.

The answer was a simple one.

No. Not with a clear conscience. Not without regret that would haunt her until her dying day.

Thankfully the conversation moved on to talk of loved ones and foals. Ktulu snorted when Lakota called herself a bitch then rolled her eyes. "And I'm not?" The Chieftess questioned. "I've no idea what I did to garner the attentions of the Dragon Throat's General." She shook her head as she thought of Midas. "He is far too good. Far too kind." Her gaze drifted away from Lakota and she stared at the fireflies that drifted into the darkness, but still did not go far. "What does he want with someone so tainted by anger? What keeps him bound to me?" Why do I push him away only to pull him back close again? "Why doesn't he just let go?" Surely he could find someone who would suit him far better than she would. He could find someone that would gift him with the large family that she was sure he wanted, because she was not interested in having more children. Children took a lot of time and a lot of work to raise and keep safe in such a dangerous world. Already she shared a part of her heart with her two offspring that she found difficult and nearly impossible to share with anyone else. She felt in her gut that she was destined to lose one of them and have that part of her heart ripped out and destroyed before her very eyes. How could she have more children knowing that there was the very real possibility that she would watch them die and be unable to save them by taking their place? How could she chance having her heart broken by loss?

It was all a bunch of 'what ifs' but they where what ifs that scared the Constrictor and made her blood run cold.

Lakota's voice became audible once more and broke Ktu from her thoughts. She blinked her crimson eyes then returned her gaze to her poisoner as she spoke so very highly her skills at mothering. In all actuality she was learning as she went and was trusting her instincts when it came to protecting her children. She blinked again when Lakota revealed her equal like for both sexes, surprise visible on her dark face before she schooled it back to its normal impassive expression. "Really now?" Ktulu murmured. "If I didn't know better I'd think you were coming on to me." She said, a hint of teasing in her tone as she spoke.

Ktulu allowed herself to slip into silence and listened to her and Lakota's breathing as they walked and the crunch of their hooves against the snow. She continued to flick her tail back and forth to keep the young cub entertained so he wouldn't grow too weary of their talk. Her head turned as Lakota began to speak again and she soon felt the other mare's bony shoulder pressed against her own more muscular one. She returned the bump and extended her muzzle to push at her thin neck. "My poisoner needs to eat." She said pointedly. "Unless she thinks death by starvation is an honorable death."

Credits

Icon by Tay

Lakota

Tension was thick between them, yet there was no trace of hostility or anger. Perhaps concerned anger, but nothing violent. Lakota knew through the firm press of her Chieftess’ lips that she was not pleased, both by her avoidance of the conversation and her own unhealthy punishment. She must look as if an epidemic had claimed her. Kota wouldn’t be surprised if the other herd members avoided her, even if she had nothing physically ill about her. It wasn’t as if they ever came to her to be healed anyways, so she was rarely if ever sought out. Having Ktulu stare at her so intently was unnerving, but she bore it quietly, ashamed. Her affliction hadn’t been pointed out to her until then, mostly because naturally she was already a skinny little shit, but having someone so close to her lay it out before her eyes really drove home just how stupid she was being.

There was simply nothing left to be said.

Of course conversation between the two was never stagnant for long unless they wished for companionable silence, and soon their words brightened into laughter and sarcastic comments once more. Lakota couldn’t help but crack a small grin at Ktulu, extending her neck to wrap her lips around the pale mane of her mistress, tugging gently as a foal might upon the locks of its mother. Playfully she dropped the tresses once more, amused by Ktulu’s abrasive answer. ”Why no, of course not, what would ever make you think that either of us were? We’re the sweetest mares in all of Helovia! How dare you lie, Ktulu,” she chided, tutting softly and shaking her head, trying her hardest to keep in character and not let the growing smile break her joke.

The lighter atmosphere was not to last, though. Lakota’s smile faded and she turned her crown to face the horizon once more as Midas was brought to the forefront of their conversation. Ktulu’s concern and love for him was admirable, and rather blatant. Her gaze was stuck in some other world, some other time. The distress she felt, however, was also conspicuous. Lakota stomped down upon her own thoughts, which whispered and hissed just below her conscious, ready to betray her at a moment’s notice. Lakota kept her silence, instead shifting her gaze to where Ao was still being amused by Ktulu’s shifting tail. His plum gaze turned to her briefly, little body wriggling as he realized she was looking at him, growling playfully before his attention was grabbed by Ktulu once more. Lakota self-consciously flicked her harks, knowing she needed to speak, respond, comment, anything really. ”There’s more to you than anger, Ktulu. Don’t punish yourself with your own thoughts. Sometimes we can’t help who we love, do not condemn him for partaking in such an emotion in regards to you. Don’t question his motives, just trust him, and any gap you feel can be bridged.” Quiet lyrics were firm, eyes shifting from Ktulu’s far-away look to the horizon as she spoke. At Ranjiri’s birth, Lakota had seen just how powerful Midas’ love for Ktulu was, and she didn’t want Ktulu’s self-doubt to keep her from something so pure and close to perfection.

As if awakening from a dream, Ktulu turned to look at her again, blinking in surprise at what she had to say. Surprise was not something Lakota saw often on her visage, but it was a welcome change nonetheless. Now now Ktulu, you know I can’t flirt with you anymore now that you’re taken,” she teased, fluttering her lashes and smiling provocatively. Giggling softly she stopped and tossed her crown, readjusting the wave of raven locks over her shoulder. ”Though I admit, it was rather fun when we ran into your awful cousin that day.”

Like a blanket the quiet fell over the two once more, neither appearing bothered by the lack of immediate conversation. Ao was more than pleased by Ktulu’s awareness of his presence, growling and lunging for her tail repeatedly only to land and tumble time and again. Lakota suspected that was the part he enjoyed the most. Her playful nudge was returned, and a warm velvet muzzle pressed to her neck. Kota tilted her head towards Ktulu to return the touch, pressing her muzzle gently to the spot just behind her jaw. ”It is not an honorable death, I agree. I know I have been stupid, Ktulu. Please forgive me. I promise I will fix this, you may even survey my eating habits from this day forth if it comforts you.” Lakota brushed her muzzle down the side of Ktulu’s caricature as she withdrew, tracing the slope of her muzzle as she pulled back until they were nose to nose. Mulberry eyes twinkled with a new light and she smiled shyly, bumping their noses gently before fully retreating. ”Thank you for caring, though.” Ktu’s fireflies were a comforting glow, a dancing trail of light that enticed the walking pair further into the wooded land. ”I think we’ve had enough serious talk, miss Chieftess,” Kota laughed, flicking her tail out to brush against Ktulu’s flank and quickening her pace to a jaunty little trot, playful. Twisting her body, she moved sideway, legs crossing over as she reached dark velvet lips towards Ktu’s closest ear, tugging gently with her lips like a pup to its mother. Letting go swiftly after the playful pulling, she twisted her front half back to the right and gave a few crow hops of excitement. So she was hyper, sue her. ”Come on, Ktu! You don’t have to be all dark and mysterious with me. Life is too serious to not have some fun and be stupid sometimes. Or are you afraid I’ll come onto you again?” she teased, referring to Ktulu’s earlier comment. Ao ran after her in delirious joy, Kota slowing to a leisurely trot, smiling over her shoulder to invite Ktulu to be silly foals for just a few hours.

Credits

Ktulu's head was tilted in Lakota's direction when the older mare grabbed hold of a lock of her mane and tugged on it. In return she turned her head to grasp at a lock of her poisoner's hair and gave it a tug. At the same moment little Ao was finally able to catch the pale strands of her tail and she became still, caught by her poisoner and her companion. "Well played, Lakota." She murmured around the blue roan's hair. Well played indeed. The Chieftess released her grasp on Lakota and flicked her tail once more, losing a few strands in the process to Ao's claws and teeth.

The dark mare could not help but roll her eyes at Lakota. Sweetest mares in Helovia? If she did not know Lakota as well as she liked to think she did then she would have been very concerned about her outlook and judgement of others. "If sweet is very nearly eating a yearling alive because he calls you fat is sweet, then I suppose I am quite... sweet." She flicked her tail so the silken strands brushed against Lakota's side as they walked together. Ktulu shot a glance over at Lakota and grinned at her poisoner.

That grin faded to Ktulu's usual stony face as Lakota commented on her previous questions regarding Midas and his affections. He gaze turned away from Lakota once more and she sighed. "I know." She answered quietly. "Love is very strange. Very fickle. Very confusing. It only serves to complicate relationships. It is a hindrance to warriors because love can be a very powerful weapon when used against you." Her crimson eyes shifted over to Lakota once more. "Whats the worst and most confusingly complicated part about love is when you feel it for more than one individual." She sighed then and flicked her tail away from the young bear once more. This love was something new that had been introduced into her life and she still was trying to figure out how it worked, but she was having very little luck, if any, with it.

Lakota took the opportunity then to lighten their conversation briefly before it descended into seriousness once more. "You are my closest friend, Lakota." She said as she stopped walking once more and turned to level her gaze with the other mare. She sighed quietly as Lakota pressed her muzzle against her jaw."I don't want to have to worry about losing you because you're not taking care of yourself." She had too much to worry about as it was, another thing added to her plate was just more stress for her to cope with.

Just like that the seriousness was over once more and Lakota was inviting her to a playful romp through the snow. Ktulu stood for a moment, head tilted as she watched Lakota trot off with Ao. Mere moments later Ktu was hot on Lakota's heels, moving as quickly as her hooves would carry her through the snow. Soon she was able to pass her poisoner and when she did she bucked low to throw a wall of snow at Lakota and laughed as she trotted ahead of her.

Credits

Icon by Tay

Lakota

Teamwork allows the two mischievous souls to capture and still their chieftess, who chooses to keep her tresses full instead of pulling away from their gentle but firm grasps. Aodaun is nearly out of his mind with delight, something his bonded found infinitely amusing, even as her loving thoughts are interrupted gently by Ktulu’s deep honey voice. Ktulu had still managed to grasp Lakota’s mane as well, giving it a gentle tug, and Lakota made a strange mix of a squeak and a giggle as she repeated the gesture. Simultaneously, they seemed to reach a wordless agreement, and all parties removed their various limbs in order to free their fellow mates. Even so they continued to walk idly, seemingly unable to keep still while talking, laughing softly at Ktulu’s edged words. “Nearly eating yearlings, you say? Hmmm. I confess, I still consider it sweet. Sweet, sweet silence. Though, wouldn’t eating a yearling only have made you larger?” Winking playfully, her gaze ensuring silently that she would never call Ktulu ‘large’ at all- good Gods the mare was as sleek and athletic as a panther, how could she do so truthfully?!- she startled at the silken strands upon her belly, violet orbs wide and breath squeaking with how quickly she sucked in a breath in her surprise. Laughing and shivering at the odd, sensitive sensation, she returned the flick, dark locks chasing after their yang to brush lightly, sweetly, against the dark cherry coat of her best friend.

Crimson eyes did not lock with her lavender for long, though, and Lakota gave a soft sigh when their conversation continued to be so somber over an emotion she held so dear. “But you are not seeing the other side of this, Ktulu. Love can be used against you, but that power is not only held there. Love can fuel your drive, your fight, if you fight for those or for what you love. It is a double-edged sword.” She reminds her of this gently, vocals soft, not wishing to insult or undermine what she had said, but still finding it her duty to fill in- physically, mentally, emotionally, verbally- the holes Ktulu had in those same categories.

Mulberry gazers blinked owlishly in surprise at the next words that fell from the lips of her best friend, turning her brow to the tiara’d doe curiously. Humming softly, she let her crown drift back to where it had been, thinking over it for a few quiet moments, tasting the words to ensure she liked how they were formed before speaking them. “I haven’t felt it, not yet, mostly out of luck and circumstance. But...it’s my belief that we fall in love for different reasons. To grow, mostly, though in what ways is very detailed and intimate.” Turning her dark face to the sky, she mused over it once more, lyrics slow and thoughtful. “Love also has many forms. Many levels. I can love two individuals romantically, but perhaps I love one of these individuals because it is what’s expected of me, or because I have known them forever and they are familiar to me, safe and consistent.” Her mind had no direct correlation to this, so she was speaking mostly out of her own thoughts and conclusions, with no real experience backing it. “But I can love the other just the same; romantically, and with the same amount of passion and dedication. But I can love them because they complete me, they make me a better person. I love them because they will fight for me as I for them, they challenge me and strive to help me grow and become better at whatever it is I desire to dominate.” Cutting herself off, she cleared her throat softly as an excuse to why she did. That was getting a little too soulful, too intimate, and she didn’t want her words to be an obvious sign to her inner thoughts.

“See? I can love them both equally, with the same type of love, but it’s obvious the second individual would be the one my heart would yearn for. Sometimes, you have to follow your heart, because your brain only wishes to be normal, to fit the rules of what we think is correct and that define success.” Thin shoulders shrugged delicately, having nothing more to say considering she had spoken more in those few minutes than she had in the past few days. Ktulu truly did bring a side from her she didn’t anticipate.

“You are my closest friend, Lakota.”

Violets softened with understanding, empathy, and she nuzzled the dark cheek gently as their skin touched. Hearing Ktu’s soft, sad sigh broke her heart. “As you are mine, Ktulu.” That was all that needed to be exchanged. They knew each other well enough to read the subtle messages, to feel the emotions clinging to every syllable, to measure the depth of adoration and loyalty in the other. Crown shook lightly, ebony locks tumbling over her bright gaze. “Worry no longer, friend. Tomorrow is a new day. I swore to heal, and I shall. I allow you to supervise me, do you truly wish us closer, Ktu?” Purring dramatically, fluttering long raven lashes and eyeing her from below them, sultry and alluring as she teased.This was one of the rare times where Lakota could spend time, alone and without barriers, with her best friend and chieftess. She did not want their conversations all to be so sorrowful, she wanted to see her leader laugh and smile.

Which she did when the azure woman challenged her, laughing when she heard the beat of her friend’s hooves through the snow, as familiar as her own. Quickening her pace despite the lead Ktulu had on her, Lakota laughed and squeaked in desperate joy as she tried to evade her swift pursuer. It seemed the adrenaline that fueled those odd noises still hung around from foalhood, she laughed internally. Ktulu’s dark form raced past her, and Lakota made a noise of surprise as snow was thrust upon her in a wave of fluff and cold flakes. Sliding and stumbling while she laughed and regained her bearings, she took off after Ktulu, Ao at her heels. Approaching her Chieftess’ side, she kicked both forelegs out through the snow to force the thick snow up and towards Ktu’s right flank and belly, laughing all the while as if unable to stop, changing in volume and heartiness with each new action.

Credits