the Rift

No Longer Earthbound

Bellona Posts: 111
Hidden Account
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0hh :: 7 years old Buff: NOVICE
Mictla :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow Nyte
Bellona
To win the war, but flee the battle, is one of the Gods' greatest sins.

There was no comfort to be given from the bitter tempests that bombarded the forest with its fury. Snow tumbled freely from sagging branches and shriveled leaves, mixing with the soggy white carpet that concealed the once-flourishing forest floor. The only sign that hinted at the possibility of life in the desolate forest was a trail of migrating deer tracks, but the herd had passed under the snow-laden bows days before, and had long since stripped the earth of its scarce foliage. The snow has been falling for days now, but the tracks stubbornly remain, the icy drops melting in the little pools of mud left inside each hoofprint. Slowly the stagnant pools of water are beginning to swell; with no plants to provide nourishment for, they are of little use, and prove only to make the path much more difficult to navigate on foot for the weary traveler.

But not all are the prisoners of the earth, for they lack the bonds that tie them to the barren land far beneath the horizon.

The winds that had wreaked havoc upon the canopy of molted trees is no match for the chaotic torrent that rips snow from their branches in an eruption fit for even the fiery Heart. Glistening white globs are thrown in every direction possible, pelting their ice-encrusted forms against the pair of wings that had sent them skyward. The vibrant greens and maroons seen on the soaring beast are cast on the snow as it falls, briefly giving them a slightly tinted appearance before gravity claims them for itself. The shadow of the creature silently passes over the aging deer tracks; the dead or dying carcasses of plants; the sleeping animals inside their warm dens. In this time of death and dormancy she has never felt so alive, this half-goddess between earth and sky, capable of traversing freely in both realms, and never forced to choose just one.

Each glorious wing furled and unfurled in time with the pulse of a shoulder that acted as a common ground between bird and equine. Like the rest of the vixen’s stunning figure, they too are clothed in bright green and slowly fade to a dusty red. Her body ripples with the muscles that are common among her breed, but they are enhanced by the exertion of past battles and the countless days of flight that it had taken to land her here, in this realm. Long, tangled lock of metallic blues, purples, and greens are tousled carelessly by the breeze that whips past her speeding form, giving the femme a wild and almost feral appearance. The bouquet of feathers sprouting on her withers are like rippling waves, whipping against her beating wings and striped rump as she soars. She is a huntress of the sky, this exquisite beast, and she is not a foreigner to the landscape beneath her dark hooves, either.

The winds that lash at her banner and beat against her bodice begin to shift as the hybrid tilts her wings, directing her tall body to an opening nestled deep inside the forest. The sky is darkening quickly and, although she is not afraid of flying at night, the speed at which the forest is beginning to blacken is unsettling.

What the hell is going on? It’s the one thought that manages to escape the finely-crafted defenses of her mind as she pulls her extravagant wings to her sides. As her heavy equine body plummets towards the powdered earth, the world grows steadily darker. It is a gradual shift from light to dark, deepening in shade for every 30-feet that the warrior drops, but it still seems so sudden. She could only have been flying for a few hours at the very least – her knowledge in reading the sun’s path of rotation had allowed her to keep time – and she had left at first light that morning. Of course, Frostfall was a time of shorter days, but the tribeswoman knew that she had at least 9 hours of daylight remaining before she should be forced to rest. In Arto, anyway, she had had a full day of sunlight to be spent tracking members of opposing tribes – or slaughtering them.

The Azteca cringes at the thought of her past lands, and the words of her people as they forced her to abandon them ring in her ears, “Leave us, xocotzin! The blood of our Gods flows in your veins; you must live to make us great again! Titeotl now, fly so that you may fight another day.” They had been idiots to let her go, and it was because of their devotion to her father and his ancestors that they had allowed themselves to be slaughtered. Their determination to keep the fallen chieftain’s bloodline alive had been the only thing to save her in the Great War, and yet she felt that they had made the wrong choice. Her family, her tribe, her everything had died that day -- and she had been denied the right to rejoin them in the spirit realm because of her blood.

So much rode upon her shoulders now that she felt that the weight of it all was what was pulling her closer to the ground. She knew that she could end it all, though. All she had to do was keep her wings wrapped around her sides, and allow her body to crumple and shatter when it collided with the earth. But she had made a vow, and she was determined to go through with her words before any last breaths were drawn from her lungs.

Tri-colored wings snap outwards from her plummeting body, filling with the chilly air as they labored against the current to slow her descent. She hadn’t reacted fast enough, it seemed, because her dark hooves drove into the snow with so much force that her legs burrowed into the mush and struck against the dirt beneath it, sending a jolt of pain up each striped pillar. The fae was used to experiencing pain and thought nothing of it, although each tall limb struggled to bear her weight for a moment. As the hybrid waited for body to adjust to an earthbound lifestyle, she scanned the shadowed forest with pale yellow eyes. The fiery orbs detected no predators, but if there was anything out there that was searching for a meal, she would happily accept the challenge. It had been a while since she had fought her last battle, and she was aching to repent for the sin she had been forced to commit so long ago.

"Talk talk talk."

{OOC: xocotzin - beloved last daughter; titeotl - you are god}

Thank you Vossity <3
Please tag me each post!
Permission granted for physical harassment!

Tingal Posts: 110
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17 hh :: 9 years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
      Tingal
      sometimes being unique takes it's toll

I was here, a place I never expected to be again. I had already come here once before, but that was long ago (and unsuccessful). And I had also come here just in time to scare a child from that wretched beast, Mandrake. Course, me and Mandrake's constant glares and shouting and attacking scared the child, who ran away from the both of us. I inhaled as I strode through the familiar woods of the Threshold, the trees would not move for me if I urged them, only because it was Frostfall, a cold season. My coat was growing long and shaggy, which often annoyed me because trees would snag tufts of it when I waltzed by.

I had a smile on my face, my expression saying I was pleased. But inside, I was feeling... empty. I hadn't seen Hotaru in forever, and I was alone. Still. My leafy gaze was focused on my dark hooves which struck the ground with a 'thunk' with every step. The sunlight grazed over the snow frosted trees, making everything glitter and glow. I shivered as some snow plopped onto my back, my ears flicking back. Another reason I hated Frostfall. The snow was too cold, even with a thick coat like mine.

But things were changing.

Somewhere in the sky, the sun was beginning to fade. I glanced up, watching as the bright, beautiful blue sky faded into a darker color. I gasped, questioning what was happening. It should still be light out, for I had only waken up a little while ago(although it was a long catnap, so I could have overslept some). I flicked my ears back, my brain whirring, trying to process all that was happening.

Was this supposed to happen? Were the Gods aware of this? What were they doing to Helovia? I tried to drop the questions, but they still hung from me by one small thread. I shrugged them to the back of my head and urged myself onward. This is one of those times I'm thankful to be part cat. I could see fairly easily in the dark, but because I wasn't full cat, it was still possible for me to go tripping into things while in the dark. Like now for instance. I opened my mouth and let out a sharp growl of pain. I had stumbled into a thorn bush. Curse this world for having the stupid things. I think it'd be a better world without them. And it took some of my coat! How dare it!

I growled at the bush before shaking it off and heading on. Something moved up ahead, and it did exactly smell like horse. Perking my ears, I stretched my neck and inhaled. I opened my mouth to draw the scent in closer to me, my ears flickering to and fro. I walked forward cautiously, a snarl on my lips. I was nervous and scared deep down inside, so this was just my instincts. From my father's side. If my instincts from my mother's side had kicked in, I would've been fleeing away by now.

I growled again, baring my white chompers. I walked forward by another few steps, my eyes slowly drifting towards the figure again. This time I straightened out, realizing it was a horse... er... part of one. It had wings, but from what I could see, it had a very odd coloration. Like what animal... I reached for the answer slowly before gasping and smiling. Course, I said the answer aloud. "A peacock!" I grinned, thanking the Gods I wasn't the only strange hybrid here in Helovia. If horses could blush, I'd be a pretty lobster red. "Sorry.. just.. slipped out of my mouth." I glanced at the sky, then back at the mare. "Do you know why it's become so dark?" I didn't expect her to know, but it was worth a shot. I inhaled, a smile on my face, despite the fact that I was scared and nervous. "I'm Tingal, and you are? " My tone was friendly, inviting. I walked a few paces forward so I could see the mare a little more clearly, but I tripped on a tree root (I could have prevented that by asking the tree to walk away if it wasn't Frostfall). My front half was bent forward, my chest hovering above the ground while my legs were splayed open. My hind legs were straightened, putting me in an awkward position. I looked up, grinning. "I.. I uh... I meant to do that." I flicked my ears back and looked away slowly before drawing my eyes back to the fem. She had a pretty figure, and that was all I could really say. Although I did see hues of blue, red and green on her body. I could see her white markings fairly well, and her wings too. She looked a little... interesting. But pretty at the same time. Peacocks were definitely beautiful creatures. I smiled at her, my eyes floating to her face.

"Talk"

[[okay, getting back in the saddle with tingal so... i apologize for the strange and rambly post.]]

MoonsongStock | table by Tay

i am a king
and the world is beneath me

Hidden Account
Bellona

The winged mare's body spins at the sound of cracking branches, sending thick tendrils of mane and feathers flying in all directions at her sudden movement. Her hinds do not tremble when she pushes the whole of her body weight down on them, nor do her dark, earthen hooves slip as she pivots in the damp snow. Her movements are fluid and her form is picturesque when she moves to confront the creature that has crept up on her, and without warning the white-painted beast lashes out with both of her forelegs. Each tall pillar rakes the air before the unfamiliar stallion and slam into the ground, causing the snow to lift and stir at the contact.

As much as the warrior would have liked, the predator that has approached is no threa -- it is just some silly stallion spitting out foreign words at her. An outraged bellow erupts from the vixen's throat, and she pins her ears at the striped boy, her own teeth bared at the sight of him. She may lack the canines that this beast possessed, but the fiery spirit reflected by her eyes must be warning enough for the lost boy. She is poised to strike -- her powerful wings are stretched out to their full extent and her feathers stand erect on her withers -- and she is more than capable of holding her own in a brawl; all that it will take for her to unleash her fury is for the brute to take one misguided step.

At his words, the goddess violently flicks her head upwards, causing her eyes to slightly roll and reveal their whites. "And just what the hell is a peacock?" Her vindictive tone is rusty from the lack of use, but the bile that drips off of every word is not tainted by it.

The colorful bird molests the cat with her harsh gaze, trying to discern whether or not he is even worth her time. Her yellow eyes wash over his striped architecture like a cleansing flame, burning away anything that one would see at the surface to better inspect what lay inside. Behind the thick coat of fur, and behind even the mass of muscle and bone, there is the dull throb of a heart. If only she were able to probe deep inside of it and learn of each wish and intent that resided there.

Equine -- and avian -- muscles bunch up to prepare for launch as soon as the orange stallion stumbles forwards, but he is soon incapacitated by nature herself. A deafening snort sounds from the pegasus' quivering naves and she slaps her long tail against the ground disapprovingly. He was a fool for coming here.

"I do not give out my name as easily as you do, stag, nor do I tremble in the presence of a cuauhtli," a dark frown etches itself upon her blue visage. "I do not know why the sky is black. This land is not my home -- how am I to know of its ways?" She is disgusted at the sight of him -- sprawled out at her feet, like a beaten servant -- and yet she chooses to remain in his presence. She had told him herself that she was a foreigner to this world, but perhaps he was not. It wouldn't hurt to get a bit of information out of him before having his blood run down her throat.

Drawing in her wings to her maroon sides, the vixen moves backwards to allow him some room to right himself. The array of feathers growing on her back remain in the air, like defiant flags against a battle-lit sky, and they sway in the chilling breeze that drags by. Her coat, although beautiful, was not meant to sustain itself in harsh winter climates, and a small shiver ripples through her body. She does not allow the unfavorable conditions of the season to batter at her defenses, however, so she minimizes the gap between her ribs and her wings and, with a sigh, demands, "You are from here, yes? Then you can tell me where it is that I am." A flick of her feathers, almost like a subtle tick that she has picked up over the years, and then, "It is useless to play games with me, Tingal. I lack the compassion that is evident in your eyes, and I will not play fair if you are thinking of starting anything."

"Talk talk talk."
{OOC: cuauhtli -- warrior}

Thank you Vossity <3
Please tag me each post!

Osiris Posts: 88
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.3hh :: 13.
Comadre :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Boom Boom!
MONSTERS
tired of deception from every angle and the constant fear

"Why are you so pissed off?" a baritone voice raises from the shadows. The loud bird has roused the attention of far more dangerous predators than a single, silly tiger.

A golden eye gleams in the faint light given off by the lanterns which decorated pathways in Helovia. One massive paw steps down in the winter loam, extending up a furred leg to a broad chest. Unlike the orange and striped creature who was nothing more than an overgrown cat, Osiris was unaffected by the shadow. His enhanced eyes were used to dim light, and the habit he had forged to clinging heavily to the dark corners of the world made him at ease. His history in Isilme with shades was of no matter. This was just a different game the Gods played, cruel and unusual. Surely, this night would pass like all of the others, if only a little more slow.

With cold, detached confidence, the large wolf steps out from beside a tree, coming in toward the small clearing where the unusual company seemed to gather. He could laugh, if it were but a little funny, at the irony of the universe. Such unique creatures all gathered in one place. In such company, Osiris was not entirely sure if he was strange or not. Upon his shoulder, a small black specter coos at the lady, while the large draft hybrid eyes her curiously. Even in the dead light of the starless night, the wolf could see residues of color spanning from her muzzle to the curve of her ass, along with delicately crafted feathers beyond her wings. An eyebrow raises as his gaze moves toward the cat. He gives the feline boy a nod.

A smile forms on his lips as his eyes move back toward the smaller mare. "The only one threatening to start anything here is you, pecky little girl," he growls partially, trying to catch her gaze for a moment. "Your condescending and huffy attitude will not serve you well in a land you do not know, much less understand." The words were even, calm, but very heavily spoken. If the wolf could have beaten the words into her skull, he would have, but first he would try the more verbal approach. "Underestimating strangers is dangerous business, miss."

The large stallion takes a few more steps, the black dragon on his shoulder smiling with a toothy grin toward the mare in the dull light. "Since you inquired, this land is called Helovia." Looking toward the tiger, the hybrid makes a gruff half-smile. "Tingal was it?" he asks, large lupine ears flicking in his direction. "I am Osiris of the Grey. A pleasure to meet another outcast such as me." Eyes flicker back toward the girl, looking at her striped face for moment before his rich voice raises again. "And your name, friend? Or shall I continue to call you pecky little girl?"

Hidden Account
Bellona

The darkness is unfavorable for the maiden, who has found herself at a slight disadvantage in the presence of the hunter. While her eyes are struggling to form the outline of the brute that had managed to catch her off guard, he is able to scrutinize his gaze all over her vibrant body. Normally it would be a rather uncomfortable situation for a fae like her to be in, but she welcomes the abuse that his probing eyes inflict on her body. Unlike most mares graced with the beauty that decorated her body, this vixen does not thrive on the hungering stares that she unconsciously attracts. It is not the attention of potential lovers that she seeks, but instead the attention of her prey. They came to her like moths to a flame, all yearning for her touch, all quaking with desire, all so superior to a lonesome mare, but all unaware that she has wishes of her own. The sensation of her hooves cracking against the skulls of her victims is all too intoxicating for her, and she now understands why her ancestors had such bloody tendencies. There is nothing more pleasing in the world than to offer the blood of your victims to the Gods, and know that they are expressing their thanks by providing you with the opportunity to initiate more bloodshed to appease them.

The sonorous voice of an approaching male in enough to wrench the warrior from her thoughts, and her fan of feathers snaps upwards with surprise. How many more times in this sunless day would someone stumble upon her with her guard down? More importantly, how many more times would she let them?

Unlike the bumbling stallion that had come before him, this creature is one that she can respect. His scolding tone has struck a chord taut with annoyance deep inside the grounded pegasus, but she chooses to force her bad mood away, and instead greets him with shadowed eyes. He is right, after all; underestimating strangers is dangerous business, miss. Oh, it simply would not do to have him refer to her as 'miss'.

" 'Pecky little girl' is not a name that I wish to keep." Pale orange eyes accept the challenge that golden ones possess, and they latch onto his peculiar gaze as she bluntly adds, "My true name is Bellona, and I come from Arto." Her tone does not drip with the venom that it had when she spoke with Tingal, but instead with a weary snap.

While her fiery orbs had been engaged with his, the vixen had been able to detect the faintest outline of shaggy fur surrounding each metallic pool. Her cobalt crown jerked backwards in minor shock when the light of a glowing tree washed over his hulking form; his voice had sounded exclusively equine, apart from the deep bass of his tone, but once she was able to truly see him, he was hardly an equine at all. Was everyone in this land a mixture of two beasts, herself included? A snort of amusement sounds from her white-rimmed naves as she realizes that the three of them made nature's famous parody: an avian, a feline, and a canine.

Is this some kind of joke?

Only slightly stunned now from the strange company that she had managed to get herself involved with, the Aztec switched her gaze back over to the striped beast, who had fallen silent with the arrival of the wolf. Unsurprisingly, Bellona found that he was much easier to deal with when he wasn’t letting loose words that diminished her respect for him. Her patience was wearing thin for the tiger, but the other member of their party still acted as though he were a contributing member, and he was much more open towards the stag than she was. Perhaps she should follow his example, and stop wanting to tear out every throat in range of her deadly teeth.

"I know that the three of us don't exactly negate attention, but that shouldn't force us all into silence," her words are blunt and tinged with rebellion, daring either of the towering stags to fill the void that had grown between them. The warrior tosses her head, causing thick tendrils of mane to beat against her supple nape. This conversation was heading nowhere.

Turning her white-laced head to the glowing tree beside Osiris, the pegasus reaches out with one of her feathered appendages to brush against its softly glowing bark. Her touch lingers there, waiting for something to happen, but nothing does. It does not give off heat nor cold; all it seems to do is radiate light. Briefly the peacock puzzles over how it came into being, but the thought soon leaves her mind. If there was such a thing as a tiger-horse, then undoubtedly there could be glowing plants. Just as well as little black creatures could coo.

"What is that?" Again, the words are sharp and to the point, but this time they are spoken more softly, almost as if they did not wish to disturb the peace that had fallen around them like a veil. Retracting her colorful wing to ensure that the creature did not decide to latch onto it, the vixen instead stretched her nose out towards the charcoal hybrid, her naves wide and breathing hard as they tried to sniff the creature out. Her dark nose filled with the musty scent of the wolf, and after pausing to breathe it in more deeply, Bellona pulled herself from the warm billows of his fur. It obviously wasn't somewhere she could reach it.

"Talk talk talk."

{OOC: Skipping past Tingal since Dark is busy and 48 hours have passed.}

Thank you Vossity <3
Please tag me each post!

Yseulte Posts: 68
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 5
Itzal :: White Tiger :: Hypnotize roni

The day was quiet and still—or was it night? Yseulte had long since lost track of the hours, the days—it no longer mattered in this everlasting winter of darkness. And yet, even without the sun, life seemed to go on as it always had, if only for a little while longer.

Itzal huffed impatiently at her, twitching his whiskers and giving her one of his icy, venomous stares. Strangers, ahead, and no doubt, Itzal was eager to stare rudely at such exotic creatures. Shifting images flickered through her mind—bright, flashing colors of a proud, elegant woman, a strange creature striped in a similar fashion to Itzal's own fur, and perhaps most peculiar and striking of the mental images—a familiar face. A hulking beast with glowing orange lanterns for eyes and a sarcastic smile. Could it be him, that gray savior in the night? How long had it been since that night in the woods, anyhow? Perhaps a year? She could not remember a night darker—save for this everlasting darkness. The wolves had swarmed to her like bees to pollen, thick as thieves and grinning glistening white fangs like an assassin's dagger. If not for for him...

She dismissed the thought almost immediately.

Sighing, she limped after her restless tiger companion through the crusted snow. Her crippled hind leg ached more than usual in the cold ferocity of winter, and so she followed Itzal's nimble, bounding form slowly, wincing occasionally as the pain thrummed deep within the marrow of her bones. Minutes later, she halted by her companion's side as he crouched low to the snow, his violet eyes glittering like amethyst gems against the sparkle of the snow. They took in the scene together before announcing their presence—although the two beast-like creatures surely already knew of their arrival.

It was a bizarre scene to behold, if anything. A wild array of colors captured her attention first; a proud mare with a strong stance, bold, bright eyes, and a voice that cut the thick silence like a dagger. She was fierce, to be sure, and did not pretend to be something she was not. Yseulte instantly took to the mare, appreciating her bold, blunt mannerisms and passionate voice, but remained wary. She would reserve judgement for a later time. She gazed at the tiger-horse next, tracing the stripes slanting across his skin like obsidian scars. Flashes of curiosity and disgust emanated from Itzal's mind, like a child that has discovered a fascinating new bug, deciding if he should keep it in a jar, or squish it. She could not help but smile at his perplexed state. And the third member of this company...so the images of a familiar face she had seen in Itzal's mind were him after all.

Osiris.

"I don't think anyone would dare underestimate the likes of you, good sir," she said suddenly, shock and pleasant surprise mingled together in the tones of her voice. She paced slowly from the background, doing her best to conceal the limp that plagued her every step as she stopped to linger near the wolf hybrid, appraising him with an open, bold gaze that swept his body from head to toe. Her iron-like eyes rested curiously upon the harsh contours of his face, the burning eyes, the confident gaze; he was just as she remembered him—massive, imposing, and those black lips either turned in a sarcastic, wolfish grin, or a brooding frown. She would never a forget a face like his. But would he even remember hers?

And of course, he was not without his second shadow; the little black dragon, perched neatly on his thick shoulder and chirping happily. Despite the little dragon's constant stream of positivity, a gaping chasm of tension lingered between the three gathered. Perhaps she would attempt to build a bridge, and repair whatever damage had been done.

"Last I saw of you, you were busy rescuing damsels in distress, not harassing them," she said slyly to Osiris, wondering if he, too, remembered that night in the woods. She then cast a sympathetic glance to the proud maiden whose wild array of colors was muted in the darkness. Bellona. A strong, fitting name. "Although you hardly seem a damsel in distress to me. Perhaps it was you who harassed our dear Osiris so?"

Itzal crept from his shadows, sauntering to Yseulte's side in a lazy manner, eyeing the tiger-horse with curious, venomous eyes. His black lips turned in a silent snarl. Yseulte glanced briefly at her tiger companion, then to Tingal. "He doesn't quite know what to make of you and your stripes. Neither do I, for that matter." She smiled softly. "My name is Yseulte, and this is Itzal."

yseulte & itzal,

ALL THE WAYS I GOT TO KNOW
YOUR PRETTY FACE AND ELECTRIC SOUL.

Hidden Account
MONSTERS

A familiar voice, one that the dragons remembers much faster than his bonded, as usual. Comadre cheerfully lifts his crown and turns toward the direction of the girlish vocals, his violet eyes gleaming in the darkness. "Izzzzzuul," he coos, in his own draconic tongue. Osiris's gaze does not leave the rather prickly, colorful mare. He may be getting old, but not old enough to think her hostility would stop the moment his eyes moved. A dangerous stranger, likely, but not one he could not handle. Yseulte was the least of his worries, at the moment.

"I would hope not, but the gall of an idiot knows no bounds," the rich baritone voice says in return to the violet fae's words, while his golden eyes stay planted on the face that was unfamiliar still, even until the unicorn mare had drawn close enough to watch his back if this mare decided to turn her violent tongue into violent hooves. He offers the noble looking lady a nod of recognition, even as her blue eyes stray over toward him. "Well met."

As the feathered mare speaks again, the wolf's ears perk forward toward her, catching the wisp of a name as it rushes by. "Lovely name, Bellona of Arto," he repeats confidently. He was uncertain whether or not this meeting was truly going to be a pleasure or not. Of all the lands he traveled, Osiris could not recall coming across one titled Arto. This lady was a stranger, then, in appearance and in origin. If he would hazard a guess, though, the brash attitude suggested her home was full of similar creatures to herself. He would smile bitterly, but it would do nothing to aid in their exchange thus far. Instead, he merely tilts his head toward the ground to conceal it. She was not an outcast as he had been.

What is that? Golden eyes glance to his shoulder, seeing the toothy grin he knew well in the low lighted forest. "A brat," he says without missing a beat, before turning his attention back toward her. "A dragon by the calling of Comadre. My loyal companion."

The lavender mare, apparently catching the less-than-pleasant air surrounding her company, attempts to lighten the mood and Osiris's image. The wolf hybrid smirks at her words, looking toward her with feral golden eyes. "I am trying to save a damsel from herself instead of a pack of wolves - probably a more formidable foe." The jest comes naturally, easily. Keep them thinking that he is nothing but a sarcastic ass. Keep them far away from his heart. There was no need to let them come closer. He had enough to worry over already, but for some reason, his nose found itself in others' business anyway. If his conscience would take a rest, perhaps he would stop this knight-in-shining-armor act.

[ NOT SURE WHEN I'M SUPPOSED TO BE POSTING. I just don't want to hold this up. x__x; ]

dark
      Tingal

I make one mistake, speak one word and FOOM! She's asking what the heck a peacock is. I looked at her, almost ready to laugh. How could she not know what a peacock was? She must be half peacock the way she looks. I flicked my black ears back, my green eyes gazing at her. What in the name was her problem?
"Well... well, uh, you appear to be.. uh... appear to be part peacock." Gods, was it really hard to say one sentence?! Well, she did intimidate me a little bit, the way her voice boomed.

She did not give her name, I snorted, thinking of her as a stubborn mule. I wanted to give her a good kick, see if that loosens some of her screws. Maybe it'd relax her a little. Nah, I doubted it. Shaking my head, I gazed at her as she said a foreign word. I tilted my head to the side, like something a cat or dog does when confused.
"A what?" She was a snappy, crabby mare. One I did not want to mess with. So I tried not to sound rude back as I spoke. Her snappy mouth was just about making my ears bleed. I kept my ears back, eyes grazing over a flickering shadow. I slunk back, allowing another strange stallion to appear. He was hairy like a wolf, and when I looked down at his hooves... or what was supposed to be his hooves, I saw paws instead. How odd, a half wolf, half horse creature. So I wasn't alone! Inside my heart fluttered and danced, excited to know I was no longer the only oddly mixed hybrid here in Helovia. When he said he was from the Grey, I perked my ears. I did not speak though, for the snappy peacock fem spoke. She said she was named Bellona, and had come from some foreign land. Osiris, the wolf stallion was accompanied by a little lizard creature, a black dragon. I smiled, adoring the lizard.

While in awe, ignoring all around me, or, at least trying to, I heard something. I flicked my ears and heard the slightest of hoof steps accompanied by small paw steps. I turned my head just in time to see a purple mare, a true vision of beauty. I blinked and looked down to see a white tiger, obviously curious about me. I raised a brow, my piercing eyes slithering over the small thing. The cub was small compared to my larger figure, and more tiger-like by comparison. The mare told me her companion did not know what to make of my stripes, and nor did she. I smiled a toothy grin, revealing my teeth. "I'm part tiger, thus the stripes. They aren't much to look at." I flicked my eyes over my back, gazing at them. I flicked my tail, staring at the snarling cub. Now that I think about it, it was kind of funny that the cub was snarling. Did it think I was intimidated or scared of it's small growls?

Osiris introduced his dragon, who was named Comadre. The lavender mare, Yseulte apparently knew Osiris. I looked at the two, wondering how they knew one another. Within that moment, my question was answered when Osiris mentioned saving the mare from herself and not a pack of wolves. So that was likely it. I had never met any of the three that stood before me, so these were all new horses I should take note of. I instantly remembered something, opened my mouth and spoke it. "Osiris? You say you are from the Grey, the herd in the Foothills? I have been meaning to join you, at the moment I am only an outcast with nowhere to go. Is it possible I may go back to the Foothills with you?" It was a poorly worded question, but hey, at least it came out of me. I waited for someone else to talk, standing there as still as a tree.

"Talk"

[[I didn't know where to jump in, so... yeah. Sorry if it's confusing... and late. ^^; Nyte gave me permission to post seeing as how it would have been her turn.]]

i am a king

Hidden Account
Bellona

Just when the warrior thought that she had everything under control, yet another unnatural beast joined them in the dark -- although this one was more like a horse than anything else here. Annoyed that her senses were reacting so poorly to the thick veil of night around them, the bird snapped her feathers open again, warning those nearest to her that she was prepared to strike. Unblinking yellow eyes remained locked onto the wolf’s orange ones, and the only sign of recognition that she gave to the lavender mare was a loud snort. Her neck was arched and bulging with muscle, and only when a passing gale tossed her hair into her eyes did she break her statuesque position. Flickering blue ears take in everything that passes between the ’knight’ and the ’damsel’, and a tinge of envy erupts deep inside the Aztec’s colorful chest. Unlike Osiris, who has a comrade to aid him in fending off strangers, she has no one, and must remain vigilant in her defense. But, if the tiger and the purple lady trust the charcoal brute, than should she not take what information she can from them, and adapt to the shift in this situation? The hybrid has only known the laws that were placed years before her conception – the laws that she had reinforced herself with the shedding of her blood – and she was lost without them now that she had left her home behind.

Although she is resistant to change, adaptation is not a foreign concept to the tribal maiden, and so she lets her guard down and allows her peeping eyes to lay flat on her back. The pegasus tosses more than shifts her piercing gaze to land on the newcomer’s dainty form when she finally breaks away from the wolfboy’s furry face. Bellona raises her head in contempt at the sight of the unicorn; although she couldn’t care less about appearance, she knows that her own vibrant architecture outshines this mare’s barred pelt. She does not appreciate the look of sympathy that the dame smears across her face, but a subtle compliment falls past her lips soon after the warrior tenses to react, so the bird decides to forgive her instead. After all, she was the only one here who hadn’t insulted the goddess with fumbling feet or a patronizing tone.

“You have the first part right, cuauhcihuatl. I do not think that I am the one causing any harm here.” A dark hoof lifts from the solid ground to swing towards the striped stallion, who has recently decided to contribute to the conversation again, and she informs their new arrival in a dark tone,This one here is giving me a head ache. He claims that I am a ’pea-cock’. But in Arto, we all looked like this, in some way or another.”

Pain ignites inside her, causing the mare to flinch, but it is snuffed out as quickly as it had come. The tribeswoman had not thought of her slaughtered family since the time of the Fatal War; when she had abandoned the land that had become overrun by the blood of her people. The memory has not been given time to heal yet, and thinking of it now is only picking at the wound. Although she does not ever want to forget the day that her tribe forced her to leave them, the chieftain’s daughter knows that it is not time to fuel that fire. She will save those tattered memories for later, for times when she is lacking the strength to deliver a blow, or lacking the courage to bear the weight of a promise that she made so long ago. Your blood will not be shed in vain.

Amused by the little black dragon, the feathered beast lets her guard down completely, and her white-branded nose stretches out towards the wolf again. His master might set her on edge, but the humorous way in which the little creature hitches a ride is enough to bring a small smile to the Azteca’s blue lips. Your loyal companion?” Pale eyes tear away from the grinning dragon, and the delight that had crept its way into them is cast out as if it were a despised pest. Comadre was a joyous specimen – unlike the baleful tiger that had come with Yseulte – but his steed was something that the bird must stay weary of, regardless of his sarcastic timbre. She did not know of his intent. “The little one here appears to be the ringleader. Or do you ride him, too?” It was weakness to allow some of her delight to get past her guarded wall, but it had happened anyway. Would any of those gathered here pick up on her jesting tone?

“Perhaps you are not daft, Osiris. I probably am the more formidable foe.” What the hell did she think she was doing? She wasn’t supposed to be tossing her own sarcastic comments around! What happened to the snide Bellona, the dangerous one? Oh, but she’s still there. Her words may have gone soft, but her mind surely hadn’t. It was still as sharp a weapon as each of her hooves, and she was more than ready to use it. "A warrior," she snaps at the orange stallion, annoyed by his ignorance. "I am a cuauhtli; that means warrior."

The darkness might obscure her vision, but it had no effect on her attentive ears. It was the second time that the word was mentioned, the Grey, and curiosity – as well as suspicion, for the tiger horse was also inquiring about it, too – filled the pegasus’ hollow bones. It sounded interesting enough to the battle-lusting vixen, and she found that her wings had grown weary from endless days of flight. Perhaps it was time that she settle down somewhere, if only to feel the comfort that rest would offer her for a short while.

“What is this group you speak of?”

"Talk talk talk."

{OOC: cuauhcihuatl -- mature woman; valiant woman; brave woman

New Posting Order: Bellona, @[Yseulte], @[Osiris], @[Tingal]; unless anyone disagrees? I just went with the order of posts since the initial poster (Bellona) and the last member (Tingal) replied.}

Thank you Vossity <3
Please tag me each post!

Yseulte Posts: 68
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 5
Itzal :: White Tiger :: Hypnotize roni

Even if Osiris did not recall her face, her name, or anything about her, at least his little dragon did. She smiled at the black's warm chirp of welcome, enjoying the sound of her named slurred in his dragon-speech. Dipping her head in return to Osiris's curt nod, she inquired after him: "I trust you've been well?" What else was there to say? Thank you. Thank you for saving my life...

For a fleeting, selfish moment, she wished they were alone. But would that truly make it any easier? No, no it wouldn't. Three or one hundred for company, it didn't matter; those two simple words would stick in her throat all the same, choking on the pride she could not swallow. She looked away, ashamed.

When would Itzal begin speaking? Not that they would have much to say to each other, of course, but the idea was still intriguing. What would Itzal have to say to her that he could not through their bond of empathy? She wasn't entirely sure she wanted to know. From the sea of bitterness that was his conscience, she already knew he did not prefer her company and viewed her as more of a servant than a guardian. Suddenly, she was quite thankful he did not yet have a voice. She could already hear it in her mind...a snide little voice saying "I have a thorn in my paw, butler, and I require your transportation services immediately" or "I find that thy hair is a most suitable throw rug. This pleases me greatly, butler."

He must have known what she was thinking because he grinned savagely at her in a silent snarl of laughter and his fangs glimmered faintly in the dark. She rolled her eyes and tried to ignore the emotions he channeled to her. Boredom, mostly, aside from the strange fascination he held for the little black dragon. Possessive, even. She frowned inwardly. Already, she was seeing shades of herself in Itzal—qualities that she despised. So he had already grown tired of staring at the other zoo animals gathered, had he? Well, she had business to attend to. She shooed him away with a swish of her flaxen tail. He growled under his breath and slunk away through the trees until even the darkness swallowed the venomous gleam of his icy violet eyes. With their connection severed for the moment, she breathed a sigh of relief. She could think. Itzal had a tendency to influence her personality, her thoughts, and even sometimes, her actions, as if his mind was both diseased and contagious. The thought made her uncomfortable, and she tried not to think about it.

Osiris's voice rumbled from his cavernous chest, and the sound was like the deep thrum of distant thunder. Electricity crackled between the three—the wolf, the tiger, and the bird. Was a storm on the horizon? At Osiris's reply regarding the gall of idiots she smiled wryly, though he would not see. His glittering golden eyes were fixed with unwavering intensity on Bellona. Yseulte was distinctly reminded of a predator hunting his prey, but gauging by the prowess of the proud woman, it would not be an easy hunt.

"A formidable foe, indeed," she agreed, regarding Bellona with a cool gaze as the exotic mare explained she was a cuauhtli—a warrior. "I do believe you've met your match, Osiris. She gave him a sly glance, but inwardly, she was conflicted. As Yseulte valued Osiris's jduge of character, she did not particularly like how Bellona had managed to get under Osiris's skin so quickly, but then again, she could see how such a brash, bold personality could conflict and contrast starkly to his own. No matter, she greatly admired the woman's fearless nature and the way she was quick to meet a challenge. A fearless warrior could make a foolish one, but it could just as well make an unstoppable one.

And Yseulte needed such a warrior by her side, desperately so.

The polite tiger, on the other hand, tolerated Itzal's insufferable staring. When the hybrid grinned, fangs glittered in the darkness. What she would give to have a pair of those! Then she wouldn't require Osiris 's damsel rescuing and wolf-whispering services every damn time she got in a bind; she would simply tear out her enemy's throat and enjoy doing so. It sounded delightfully morbid. "Peacock or not, what our striped friend means to say is that you are most striking." Perhaps that statement would manage to soothe one ruffled feather.

The electricity that once crackled between bird and wolf gradually faded to a static buzz, and Yseulte was pleased to note that Bellona was quick to make amends with the wolf hybrid by sparring with a light-hearted weapon that both parties could wield equally—sarcasm. The proud mare did not seek the wolf's approval, by any means, but she was willing to compromise when necessary. That was well—Yseulte did not need some blockhead warrior taking offense at every slight and beating the brains out of every horse that dare utter such offenses.

So Osiris hailed from the Foothills, did he? She had been quick to condemn the wolf hybrid as an outcast, to forever wander the wilds alone while saving the occasional damsel in distress. You are cruel, Yseulte, too cruel by half. She was suddenly ashamed once more. Why should Osiris be denied the right of a family and a home simply because he was different? Osiris was no monster--she ought to know. Real monsters did not appear as wolves but possessed divine faces and the voice of a thousand angels.

When Tingal and Bellona both inquired about the Grey, Yseulte leaped at the opportunity. Mauja the silvertongue (oh, how she simply abhorred the man and his fabulous hair!) had been quick to steal away her last recruit and she was not about to stand idly by and let the same happen again. She hoped Osiris wouldn't mind terribly.

"I do not know much concerning the Grey, my fierce cuauhtli, I shall leave that to Osiris. I do, however, just so happen to be an expert concerning the Valkyries." She was aware that the name would mean nothing to Bellona, and so she pressed on. "We are a free people, roving wherever the wind might take us. We do not bow to the ruling kingdoms, nor do we yield to men or keep their company." She gave Tingal and Osiris a brief glance, neither contemptuous nor apologetic. They could make what they like of the Valkyries' existence, or they could ignore it completely. She cared not. "Most importantly, we are sisters. We put personal desires aside and our nation before us. Our oaths to our sisters and to the Valkyrie nation are honored until death. Desertion, in return, is honorable by death."

She finished softly, allowing that uncomfortable statement to curdle in the air like milk. Yseulte refused to sugarcoat the truth to make the Valkyries sound like an appealing fancy tea party club or a girls' night out. After all, she did not seek fashionable, high born ladies who were more apt to hold their pinkies in the air when they sipped their tea and turn up their nose at dirt, rather than wield a weapon and wrestle in the mud.

No, Yseulte did not seek such women.
She sought cuauhtlis.

yseulte & itzal,

ALL THE WAYS I GOT TO KNOW
YOUR PRETTY FACE AND ELECTRIC SOUL.

Hidden Account
MONSTERS

"As well as any dog can hope to be in such times," his rich voice answers quietly, giving her a sidelong glance. The lack of wounds upon her body made him believe she was going well, and hopefully not stirring trouble with ravenous wolves again. Osiris respected his lupine brethren, for he believed their souls were much kinder than the equids which ruled these lands. After all, the equine would kill for greed, revenge, hatred - the wolves killed to survive. What is more evil than spilling blood wastefully? The great beast would know, for he had allowed others to use him for such games.

Because of the steady gaze the wolf kept upon the colorful mare bedecked with shining feathers, it is when she begins to speak of home that he noticed a shudder run through her face, almost imperceptibly. He averts his golden eyes, toward the ground, wishing not to pry into the emotions that the girl was trying very hard to hide. Unfortunately for her, the wolf was used to watching others. Any of the proud warriors of Isilme would have the same mannerisms when speaking of the land east of here. To Osiris, Isilme had been many things, but he would hardly say losing the land scarred him. All he cared about had survived the plague of shadows, and the only lost heirloom of Isilme left him after surviving such horrors.

No, the wolf did not care about the loss of Isilme. May the evils committed on its soil die there.

Lifting his golden gaze from the floor, expecting Bellona's composure to have returned, he holds it less harshly. She may be prickly, but the girl was recently wounded. Osiris guessed her homeland had met some sort of tragedy - why else would she be here?

Thankfully, the lavender hued mare offers the hybrid an escape from this uncomfortable predicament the beast has found himself in. Away from the sensitive feelings and back toward biting sarcasm, where he was safe from forming real connections. "Hardly, Yseulte," he says with a smirk. "An overgrown wolf has no match." Unless, of course, they were counting the ten inch, scrawny dragon of ebony upon his shoulder.

As the nose of the brightly painted warrior reaches toward his shoulder, Comadre reached out a clawed hand gently, trying to pat her ever so slightly on the muzzle. His grin intensifies, looking rather threatening aside from the innocent expression of the gleaming violet eyes. He lets out a coo, followed by the short greeting of the mare's name (in dragon's tongue, of course). "Veellooo." The wolf chuckles, a charming sound, almost, despite its small size. "He has not quite mastered the sound of B yet."

With her words come thinly veiled pricks, to which Osiris offers a hard glinted stare, though his expression is far from frosty. The wolf finds this mare amusing, if anything, with her spirited insults and quick wit. Mocking another was easy, but she turned this game into banter instead. "Well, you might notice a slight disparity in our sizes, Bellona," the wolf says rather bluntly. "How am I to ride a ten inch dragon without killing him?" He smirks, looking at her with lively eyes in the darkness.

"And you may be likable yet," he returns to her, ready to bat back as many comments as she would like. Her words snap at the orange tiger, asserting her position as a warrior. Osiris smiles imperceptibly to himself. As if her nature did not boast her title for her; fierce, angry, probably violent. She was definitely a warrior from the start.

The wolf's gaze slinks off toward the cat's as he addresses him directly. The sharp toothed tiger finally managed to get to his feet at some point during the exchange with Bellona, and Osiris looks over him for a moment. "The Grey only seeks capable bodies," he says flatly, his voice unyielding and calm. "We are after those with skills of their own; if you have none to offer, I would not waste your time tagging along." Judging by the way he tripped over himself, Osiris rather doubted the cat was good for anything aside from a punchline. He may still be surprised, yet. "You are free to travel with me to the border, but you will have to earn your entry."

What is this group you speak of? The wolf opens his mouth to answer Bellona, but before he can, the gentle voice of Yseulte rings in the air. He could roll his eyes at her inappropriate outburst, but the wolf was no schoolteacher. You cannot teach the rude manners without force, usually, and he had no desire to harm the lady of purple. He would just wait patiently, calmly, and quietly for her pitch to be over.

What the wolf thought of her group was not worth mentioning outloud, he thought. He could insult her rather petulant writing off of the entire male gender, but chose not to. If she wished to turn away half of the able-bodied warriors she could be recruiting, it was her business. "Offering acceptance into a cult you cannot leave on pain of death is one way to charm new members, I suppose," he says quietly to himself as she finishes, not wishing to sway the thoughts of Bellona one way or the other. He had no business steering her life for her.

"As you had asked before, Bellona," he begins, glancing toward the lady of lavender before turning his feral eyes back toward the bird. "The Grey resides in a land northwest of here, the Windtossed Foothills. We are a band of mercenaries, skilled warriors and spies for hire. We make no loyalties outside of our own. The only requirement we have is ability," the wolf smiles slightly looking at her. "The weak hold no place in our home."

dark
      Tingal

Well oh well, the peacock mare got a little snappy. She asked why I had called her a 'peacock'. I snickered to myself at the way she said it, spacing the word in two. Did she really not know what a peacock looked like? I forced myself to stop, pushing the thought away. Well now, I tried to tune into the lavender mare's words, listening to her. "Uhh.. yes.. most striking. An intriguing creature..." The last bit I whispered, a mere breath. I tried to keep anyone from hearing my last sentence.

The hairy stallion started talking, saying the Grey wanted able bodies. Frowning, I thought about it. Was I an able body? Able enough to work with a herd? To help defend them? I didn't think I was very able, seeing as how I hadn't fought in ages, and I didn't enjoy fighting, instead, I preferred defense, protecting. I was too kind a spirit to attack unless it was absolutely required. So I suppose I would be useless to the Grey, seeing as how they required able bodies. Sighing, I looked at Osiris. Would I fit for the job? Probably not. I had already proved that I wasn't very coordinated when I tripped over a tree root. I shook my head, looking at Osiris. "Now that I think of it, I doubt I'll be any help." I sighed, my ears flicked back. I was worthless... wasn't I? I was no help. No matter what I tried to do, I suppose I would never fit into a herd. I could never attack, unless I was desperate or out of my head.

Yseulte spoke again, mentioning another group. I was interested for a second, until she mentioned that they didn't yield under men. Frowning a little, I realized it must be a mares only band. Lowering my head, I just looked up a little. So.. I had no where to go? I just had to roam? She mentioned death, and I stopped listening in an instant. Osiris began talking, now about the Grey. They apparently were mercenaries and spies people could hire. He mentioned something about not making any loyalties outside their own, and that they required one thing: Ability. And he mentioned something about the weak holding no place in their home. Frowning a little, I bowed my head slightly, speaking quiet words. "Well, I believe it's about time I left. My presence doesn't seem to be needed. Farewell, Yseulte, Osiris... Comadre...and.. Bellona." Despite her cold attitude, she did have a stunning appearance. But it pained me to say her name, just because she treated me like some bad disease, something to hate. So I just walked on, the shadows engulfing me as I left the three to themselves.

"Talk"
[[Tingal out <33]]

i am a king