the Rift

[OPEN] Silent night.

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!
HOTOTO</style>
   HE WHO IS BRAVE IS FREE.</style>

As quickly as he had come, the God of the Earth was gone, along with my worries about the Grey. That issue could wait, while this one would not.

Upon my forehead, I could still feel the faint vibrations of a divine touch. His words sinking into my soul, wrapping themselves in my chest. "You are a protector of the mortals now. When the world grows dark, only you will have the power to nourish the land and keep it alive. I will return when I am able. Be strong. Be brave. And know that I am proud of you." All I could think in my mind: why me? I am but a yearling, with a head of horns and back crowned with wings, true, but a child. He had told me we were friends, but to protect the mortals? Did he mean anything with a heartbeat?

How is one yearling supposed to protect all within this world? How was I supposed to protect anything?
What is so special about Hototo?

It was then I remembered my mother's words. Bear is the son of a God? I had asked so foolishly, I thought in my own mind. Eytan is not. You are. The thought now only occurred to me that she may be telling the truth. Why else would I look so similar to the Lord of the Earth? Why else would he become friends with a mere mortal child? Why else would he ask me to protect everything his heart held dear? The gentle Lord of the Earth is my father. My mother, Ktulu, had been telling me the truth from the beginning. I am the son of a God. In my mind, I still think of myself as a child, even after this realization. Yet, as the sun sets behind the horizon, the last time I would see it for weeks, months even, in my heart I feel the blood of a God racing strong.

I finally understood that I am the son of the Earth. As the sun disappeared, I began to run.

My hooves carry me toward the site from which light spills out of the Earth, illuminating our home with a dim sort of aura. What little power my father left behind in this world was reflected in its deep waters. However, in the confines of my chest, I feel their absence - the absence of the divine. Still, even as my hooves plod along the ill-lit floors, I can see the grass raising in attention to my steps. Whatever magic rested within my soul remained, but for what purpose? I surely did not know. The God of the Earth had told me I would tend to the plants. I was to keep Helovia alive.

I am just a child, but I am their protector. I will see them safely to whatever the future held.

It is with a solemn heart that I reach the edge of the Waterfall, looking down toward the bright lights below before turning, expelling a bellow befit for a stallion, sent from the young lungs of a boy. "Mother!" I call, reaching out toward the lands and calling her forward. "I must leave this place!" I must leave the side of my protector and grow up.

I must become brave.
""

[For Ktulu and any of the Grey who want to wish him good luck]

Stock Providers: Horse, Wings, and Background.

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

when your eyes are red and emptiness is all you know
with the darkness fed i will be your scarecrow</style>

"Mother! I muse leave this place!"

For months Ktulu had been feeling a sort of disconnected between herself and her son, but she had stamped down the feelings and ignored them. Now as her son's voice echoed throughout the Foothills and she herd it she felt that same ache in her heart as she had when he'd first begun eating grass and did not need her for nourishment. And when he'd grown big enough to not need her constant protection. Part of her wanted him to stay young forever and constantly need her, but another part wanted him to grow and experience the world and all it had to offer him. She wanted him to be bright and successful in his ventures in life. Most of all she wanted him to stay pure and not let hardships taint him as she had let it taint her.

"I know." She admitted as she drew close to where her son had called to her from. She did not like it, but she knew he had to leave. He had been brought into the world for a purpose she did not yet understand, but he seemed to now. Sadness shone in her crimson eyes as she gazed at her not so little boy anymore. He had grown too fast. Far too fast. She wondered if he would even remember her when he left. Would he even bother to come and visit her, or would he be as disappointed in her as she felt the rest of her family was?

"Ani?" Came the small, tearful voice from her daughter. "Don't go, Ani. I want you to stay with me." Ranjiri's black and gold face peered up at her brother's, her eyes bright with unshed tears. The filly sniffed and took a few tentative steps then stopped. "Why do you have to go?"

Ktulu remained silent, her gaze switching from her daughter to her son as she waited for him to answer. He was growing up and she would not answer his questions for him. If he was going to upset his sister by leaving then he would have to explain why in his own words and sooth her himself.

Credits

Icon by Tay

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!
HOTOTO</style>

From the darkness, mother and Nuna arrive. I feel my heart clench in my chest, but I have no choice. Father had entrusted me with an important task, and I must take it up with all of my strength. I may not have much to offer, but what little I do have would be given to those around me, even if it meant taking away my presence from the family I had known and loved for my entire life.

Much like always, mother already knew I needed to leave. She had always known things about me before I did. She knew I had magic much before I noticed. She knew when I was hurting those close to me. She knew who my father was before I could even contemplate it. She knew I was growing up. She knew that I had a reason for being born of divine lines. She knew it all, an I was left literally in the dark before I came to this conclusion. I smile meekly at her, my eyes saddened, but my head held high. My body was not yet down growing, but I needed to be ready for life's demands. I would meet the world with a brave face.

I stepped close to mother and went to nuzzle her neck one more time. It was then the tearful voice of my sister rang in my ears, and I turned my saddened eyes to meet hers. They were so small, youthful, and confused. I knew that my Nuna would not understand why I needed to leave her side now, but someday perhaps my words would make sense.

"My father came to see me, Nuna," I say quietly down toward her after a quick glance in the direction of my silent mother. "He gave me the task of protecting all of the Helovians in his absence." I reach down toward her small forehead, nimbly avoiding the little nub of a horn that began to form there. She would be much like mother in that regard, but with wings like me. "You have to stay here and watch after mother and Bear," I say with a smile, though it feels heavy and forced upon my lips. "I will come visit when I can and will be back by your side before you know it."

I hoped she would understand, or, at least, that she would not be worried in my absence.
""

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia had a hard time looking at her sister after Psyche's visit and their negotiations (if you could call it that). But the darkness helped her with that insecurity. The lights from the pool made it so that the pale mare could see the strong outline of Hototo, but any details were lost as her back turned to the light, the strong colors illuminating her from behind. She heard him call for his mother, but the sister came as well, hearing the brave boy as he began a quest.

He was not selfish, he as kind. In a way that she thought she could never understand, he was not tied to one place, to one family, or to one world. Hototo was of the earth, the entire world, and she knew that he was destined for greater things. The quiet boy she had spoken to so long ago had fast become a man, and she felt her heart stir with pride.

Ophelia remained quiet, not wanting to speak until she knew that his immediate family was satisfied. His younger sister, Ktulu's child with Midas, pleaded for him not to go, and the pale mare frowned. Why did Ktulu say nothing? Why did she not explain that Hototo's future was more vast and important than all of them combined? Instead, she left the burden of goodbyes on the young boy, but still, she stayed silent.

Only when Hototo was finished reasoning with his sister did Ophelia choose to approach slowly. She attempted to embrace him quietly, only if he would allow, and then she slowly backed away, a smile on her lips. "Your courage and wisdom inspires me," she told him quietly. Ophelia dipped her head to him, her horn nearly touching the blackened ground. "Should you need help, I will gladly come to your aide and serve the earth."
Image by Yumpy @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

when your eyes are red and emptiness is all you know
with the darkness fed i will be your scarecrow</style>

Ktulu turned her head toward her son as he stepped closer to nuzzle her neck. She nuzzled him in return, taking note of the small foal that pressed herself between her mother and brother wanting affection from both of them. Ktulu allowed Hototo to touch his sister's forehead and explain his departure to her in his own words before she brushed her muzzle against her daughter's neck and murmured quietly to her, reassuring her that Hototo would be back to visit even if she wasn't completely sure of it herself.

Seemingly reassured and satisfied for the time being, Ranjiri settled herself back by her mother's side. "I'm proud of you, Hototo." She said quietly to her son, a small smile curling the corners of her mouth. Had she ever told him she was proud of him before? Probably not, but she was. He was growing to be honorable, which was more than she could say for herself. The Earth God's blood must have made up the majority of what flowed through his veins.

The smile quickly vanished when her sister arrived to say her own goodbyes. The Constrictor had hardly thought of her sister after the renegotiation that she had called for. Even now she didn't want to be near her, but she would not be driven away from her son's goodbyes before his departure because of ill feelings toward her own sibling. She spared a short glance at Ophelia, but that was all the greeting she was willing to give.

"You're always welcome here, Hototo." She said, her smile showing once more. "This land is yours."

Credits

Icon by Tay

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!
HOTOTO</style>

The pale outline of a ghost is in my vision, but it is one I know well. Ophelia, my aunt, my oldest friend, has appeared to wish me goodbye as I enter along this journey. I notice she stands back, which I find a tad odd. Even as the majority of my attention rests on my younger sibling, I begin to wonder about the other pair of siblings present. They were usually much closer, much more willing to be close and together. Normally, Ophelia would have nudged mother before even looking toward me.

There was something strange between them. Unfortunately, my family was not my immediate concern now. Father had requested I take care of Helovia as a whole, not just the pieces that came to define the land to me. Despite how much my heart desired I remain by the side of my loved ones, I no longer held a place here. My place was out on the road, mending the land and awaiting the return of my Father, my friend. He entrusted a task normally controlled by his infinite power and wisdom to me, and more than anything, I could not let the God of this Earth down. I would make him proud. I would make mother proud. I would not fail.

I let out a warm breath on the shoulder of my dearest sister before looking up to my mother, who echoes the words I had only dreamed of hearing. I knew my mother loved me with everything in her soul, but to hear she was proud of me nearly brought tears to my eyes. They were held back by my will, however, as I am no longer a child. From this moment on, I am no longer a boy. I am the son of a God and the most powerful mare alive. I will be brave and save this world. I smile back at my mother, bicolored eyes flickering in the light emanated by the pool. Will I ever be the same, I wonder.

When my aunt finally approaches, I lean into her embrace, resting my muzzle momentarily on her shoulder before allowing her to step back, and turning my face toward hers as she speaks. Inspiration, me? I believe that the greatest gift of my life has come on this day, and that is to restore warmth in the hearts of my family even in my absence. If they are proud of me, then I can proceed without second thoughts. I did not have time for those anyway.

My eyes widen slightly as Ophelia's head kneels, like a queen bowing before a servant. Normally, I believe I should be emboldened by this action, but instead I am humbled. I am borrowing the bravery of my friends and family. I am borrowing their strength. I am borrowing their wisdom. I am borrowing their will. Hopefully, I will be able to rise to their expectations while lifted upon such powerful shoulders. "Thank you, Ophelia," I say, my voice calm and light.

It is when my mother speaks again that I turn back toward her and the small face of Ranjiri. My home, I wonder if this has ever been my home? I look out toward the rolling hills under the shadow of the mountain. I spent more time wandering than here, but I know a piece of my heart will rest wherever my family resides. I nod. "And I will keep it safe, if I am able." I smile, before turning toward each of my family's faces, glancing at them with warm eyes before taking a few steps away, toward the gleaming pool of water.

"I must be going now. I will see you all soon," my voice trails off, as if I am lost in musings, before I leap toward the edge, my wings unfurling as I launch myself up and toward the starless sky above. I do not look back, afraid that I may lose my will to leave if I dare. I must become brave.
""