the Rift

[OPEN] Peace Keeper, Dream Weaver

Atka Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[Image: jt0ttw.png]

The cold fingers of mother nature swept across the white sea, each one of her cold breaths sending the remaining frozen flowers that dotted the meadow into an arched stance. Large hooves pressed into the fresh powder layer of snow, the thick, frozen layer of snow below crunching under the massive amount of weight that my stout legs carried. My thicket of black hair draped over the left side of my neck, curled by the amount of moisture in the air. I had thought it was raining earlier, rather than snowing. My hopes crawled eagerly at the thought of the nearness of Birdsong. The thawing of the cold earth, along with the soon followed blossoming life of plants and flowers. Small animals would again begin to bounce across tree limbs, carrying their weight in fresh seeds.

I moved with ease, setting off to explore the land that was still so new to me. Bright eyes glanced around every, taking in the ivory painting before me. Everything was still set in the cold slumber of Frostfall, but soon enough it would be alive and full of wonder. Following a small track that was made by what I had guessed was a deer, I ended up being lead to a frozen solid stream. Blue eyes examined the subject, wondering how cold it must have gotten in order to freeze moving waters. My heart sunk at the thought of how many lives may have been lost in the bitter nights of Frostfall. Each would be replaced with a new life, another continuation of the cycle that was so beautiful. I brushed the thought from my calm mind.

Standing beside the frozen water in silence, I could not help but become some what curious as to how thick the water actually was. For all I knew, the top layer was thick, but underneath by only a few inches the water could still be bubbling, very alive. My weight shifted to my left as I picked up my large right hoof, tapping at the ice cautiously. It made no noise that lead me to believe it was thin to this soft touch. Slowly, I eased more and more pressure onto the locked water, ending up being able to push nearly all my weight onto the ice before it began groaning.

My ears flicked accordingly to each small noise, each seeming so far away. Stepping back from the still stream, I drew in a deep breath, ears pressing forward, brushing against my antlers. The fuzziness that had developed on my body to keep me warm during this harsh season made me feel fairly fluffy, compared to my rather firm body. Once again, tiny flakes began falling from the cloudy sky. They spun through the suddenly motionless air, falling down in a direct line from the clouds to the ground. Face lifted toward the Heavens, bright eyes examining the solid form of each flake. They trickled over my body quickly, the miniscule amount of weight adding up very slowly as it began building up, clenching to each fuzzy hair along my back.

I was here to enjoy the gift of life that the Gods had given us. Hopefully that they would continue to let us receive for a long time to come.

Tagged: Open!
"blah blah blah." think think think

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

OOC| Didn't know if you had planned this to be before or after Dead Magic, so I just sort of avoided the topic.

Snow. Rain. God. The worst stuff. You tell me how I'm supposed to look good when it's raining out? How am I supposed to maintain my coat and keep myself looking polished when every time I turn around I've got more snow piling up on me. I don't have much going for me. I'm not smart, I'm not strong, I'm not witty. I'm pretty. That's it. And the winter ruins it every time. Not that I look bad. Heavens forbid I ever look bad. I just look..... less nice. What? You want to judge. You want to act like I shouldn't put so much work into my appearance? Tell me what would you do? If you're brain wasn't meant for musing and pondering, if your tongue wasn't sharp and slick, if your body didn't twist and kick the way a warriors would... what would you do? We all must make a living somehow. I've chosen my path.
Kahlua wandered peacefully through the land, exploring. Thor had welcomed her willingly into the World's Edge herd and now she was taking some time to get to know the world she lived in better. The field she tread across was strangely beautiful despite the ice. The frozen flowers stood up starkly in the cold winds and she couldn't help but think they looked like they were warriors standing at attention at her passing. Some day she would receive that type of acclaim. For now she was busy plotting her way to the top. She had chosen the path of a crafter. She knew nothing of the trade, but Thor had promised to introduce her to the glaziers of World's Edge and set her on the right path. She would work hard, kiss all the right asses and one day she would be up on top. Kahlua the glazier. She liked the sound of it.

Lost in though, Kahlua had noticed her happening upon a river. She placed one hoof on to the ice unwittingly and it slipped out from beneath her. Scrambling to maintain her footing, Kahlua quickly backed up from the edge of the frozen water and looked at it in almost a confused manner. As she stood there watching the frozen river the snow began to fall once again and she sighed. Turning to her left, she trotted down the river to keep warm. Suddenly, up ahead, she spotted a large stallion at the edge of the water. Carefully arching her neck and making her steps just slightly more dainty, Kahlua slowed to a walk and sauntered up the stallion. He was beautiful, a champagne color dotted with white and a black mane and tail to boot. Not to mention those horns. She had never seen anything like it. “Good afternoon, sir,” she cooed and she halted about three steps to his right. “I'm Kahlua, and you are simply striking. I'm so happy to see a handsome face among this blanket of never-ending white.” Flattery. She didn't know if he was useful to her yet, but until she did she would do everything she could to make sure he thought she was the best thing on this earth.
.KAHLUA

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Unregistered

Pink skinned nose dropped from the cold air, bright eyes wandering toward the source of cold toes patting the ground. An elegant black and white mare paced toward me, a light spring in her step. She paused a few steps away from me and I dropped my crowned face in greetings, a warm smile and sparkling eyes replacing the bland stare. The mare was covered in a salty scent, almost as she lived on the ocean, though it wasn't intense enough for the actual sands to be her home.

Fuzzy ears cocked forward, full attention on the contrasting colored mare as she spoke. "Good afternoon sir," her mood was so light, it made me almost wonder if she was still very young. "Hello young lady." My thick black tail bobbed up and down at the base, the ends; twisted and knotted, tickled at my hawks. This mare was the first I had come across yet to not be cloaked with massive wings, or carrying a twisted bone over her 'brow.

Kahlua, the name stitched itself into my brain. Her next words, though flattering, threw me off. She definitely was young, but hopefully not as young as my mind told me she was. This female could easily be my daughter, or granddaughter at that. Instead of acting taken by her nonchalant flirting, I gave a soft laugh, tucking my face back in toward my chest rather than extended out any longer. "Thank you, Kahlua. " I drew in a deep breath, the cold air waking my lungs up by the touch.

"What are you doing out in this frost, sweetheart?" As I spoke, I swung my hind end to the left in order to face the mare. The three molars that had been tied into my thick mane when I was younger clinked together. Another cold breeze licked the frozen earth, sending the thin powder of continuing snow fall to scatter away from its false home.

Tagged: @[Kahlua]
[Ooc: Oh derp, sorry. The day before Dead Magic I guess. :D]

OOC| No worries, I know things get confusing when plot changes happen. I just didn't want to have her fumbling all over the in the dark and then have him think she was drunk or something, lol. @[Atka]

Why are you so nervous? I think I know why. Because I don't act like I think you're great. I don't pretend to have interest in you. If I say you're handsome, in that moment, you're the most handsome thing I've ever seen. Period. If I call you striking, strong, whatever- I mean it. That's how you do it. See, people see through you if you're fake. You have to own what you're doing. So if I say you're handsome. I mean you're handsome. End of story. So maybe you've got a right to be a little nervous. After all, it's not every day a pretty thing like me pops up and fawns all over you........ Or maybe you've got a girl back home. Whatever.
He was huge compared to here. At least two hands taller, likely more. It was hard to judge when you were standing below looking up. Kahlua didn't mind. Better to have tall horses around, just in case anything bad happened. The way she figured it, the bigger her companion was the scarier he looked. Especially with the monstrous horns he carried on his head. Not to mention, if the need to fight ever came upon them, he'd be easier to hide behind. Yeah, she was a bit of a chicken. Not in so much that she was afraid to fight, but rather that she was afraid to scar her hide. She had done well in her years not to mar it in such a way. She hoped to continue this trend.

She watched with a smile as his ears flicked toward her. She nearly laughed, but contained herself as he spoke. She just loved life, that was all. She had found most here to be so... dull and dark. Depressing even. The world needed a few happy horses in it. Young lady, this time she did laugh. A bright sound, not shrill but nearing a soprano sound. She couldn't help it. She hadn't been called young in years, though she supposed to the large stallion with antlers she must have looked very small. Perhaps she had just been hanging out with the wrong crowd. He moved his head and she almost took another step toward him to close the gap. Not too strong, she reminded herself and remained where she was. This was fun.

His question filled the air and almost stumped the mare. What was she doing out here? There had to be better places to be than this forsaken wasteland. As she thought about it, a blast of cold air caused her to shiver and shed some of the snowflakes that had settled on her back. The clinking of his caribou teeth brought her back to life. It had only been a few seconds. It seemed like longer. It was easy to get lost in an empty mind. “You know, I'm not entirely certain myself,” she laughed briefly again. Why not. What was not to love about life. “Thor the GentleHeart kindly welcomed me to the World's Edge, but I thought I might like to explore before I settled myself too thoroughly in my new homeland. I'm afraid I'm somewhat new here.” She wasn't much of a secret keeper. “And you, my friend?” She extended her nose for a moment. She wasn't near enough to touch him, but she sent a huff of warm air from her nostrils to play against his shoulder. “I haven't interrupted the musings of a scholar, have I? Or do you find comfort in cold, open plains?” She smiled. Her words were kindly. She was just having a bit of fun.
.KAHLUA

Unregistered

The whimsical laugher that expelled from the mare made me smile, drawing my face back toward my chest once more. Her bright eyes danced with the sweet tone. Drawing in yet another calm breath, I let my ears rotate around, attempting to find anything that may be of interest. Eventually, Kahlua responded to my question, claiming that she was not certain as to why she was out here. Her dainty black body stood out against the starch white premises. Another light hearted laugh escaped her pink mouth.

I tilted my skull to the left, the massive rack of mismatch antlers gliding through the air without a complaint. I continued to listen as the young female explained that she was from the World's Edge, a land I had yet to either hear of or see for myself. Blue optics danced with curiosity. Perhaps this World's Edge was near the ocean? That would explain the soft sea salted scent that followed my new acquaintance. "I am as well. Though, I am residing in the Windtossed Foothills. Gorgeous land, even if everything is cloaked in snow right now. Perhaps we could explore together some time." I grinned at her happily.

The mare reached out, her slender neck pushing her face toward my chest. The warm air expelled from her nostrils felt rather nice against my cold body. It was after that when she asked if she was interrupted, referring to myself as a "scholar." I laughed, the warm smile dancing in my bright eyes. "No sweetheart, you haven't interrupted a thing. And I would much rather it be green than white right now. It will be green once more soon enough though. Each season must have their turn." After my words fell to young ears, I reached out to blow a warm gust of air toward her face, chuckling afterword. "You are just, tiny." I playfully teased, hopefully getting a good reaction out of the insult.

She watched his ears flick with interest between the bits of their conversation. She so often became engrossed in the conversations she was having that she forgot to monitor her surroundings. Just to make herself feel better she flicked her ears about. She heard nothing but the howling of cold wind. A gloomy noise- it was as if the earth was crying out in lonesomeness. Your antlers, she thought to herself. One of the few things she thought and didn't blurt out. They really were a site to see. She could only imagine the weight on his head.

Windtossed Foothills, she had heard nothing of the place. The Dragon's Throat had been mentioned, if only to inform her that she was to be allied with the land. Perhaps they were enemies? She couldn't imagine such a thing. He carried on, responding here and there to the statements she had made. She let him carry on, enjoying the sound of his laughter breaking through the streams of cold air that blew through from time to time. “Of course we'll explore together! She said when he was done, matter-of-factly as though there had never been a question about it. Never mind if they were or were not enemies. A silly notion at that, if they were. She opened her mouth to speak again when a puff of warm air interrupted her, floating past her face while the sounds of the stallions laughter filled the air. Tiny! Indeed!

Her laughter and her voice mingled together as she responded. “Me, tiny? Can you imagine such a thing! And what of you? You're a great big brute!” She smiled and kicked into the snow, attempting to send a small amount splashing his way then bounded sideways a step. Just like a young filly. He made her feel playful. Her words continued, fast paced and light on the tongue. “And we'll make quite a pair, won't we? I'm calling for you at your homeland and your friends will say what could this darling, tiny little mare want with such an old man?” She shook off briefly, shedding the snow that once again settled on her back before continuing. “But we'll have the last laugh, because we'll know the secret and they won't.” She paused just a moment. Her voice and quiet laughter one in the same again. “So what will be our secret?” All games. All fun.
What am I doing? Is this really me? But then, what fun is life if you're all seriousness all the time?

@[Atka]
.KAHLUA

Unregistered

The miniscule ears that poked out of the tufts of mane across her forehead rotated as well, as if she was playing in a mirror across from me. Just as I had finished speaking, she picked up, clearly excited about the thought of our future explorations. She continued on, teasing me and my massive size. Instead of feeling any irritability as the young female danced through the snow, I went along with it, my age not weighing me down at the moment. In my heart and body I was still young, but my mind has always been much more mature than age usually allowed. Snow tumbled across my chest and down my legs, settling in the soft feathering that laced itself around each ankle.

She was so excited for what small amount of trust may have been circulating between the two of us. Though I'm sure she's able to carry herself, she would have to learn that not every one was as nice as me. I hated the thought, but had learned the hard way many years ago. You cannot trust many. "We'll make quite a pair, won't we?" I raised a metaphorical eye brow at the thought, listening as she continued.

Imagining the delicately framed mare standing on a grassy hilltop, crying out my name to the faceless group of my herd that I had yet to meet was silly enough as it is, but when she claimed that we would be the only ones to know a "secret," I almost took a step back. What was it that she was getting to? My chest thudded calmly, ensuring that I was still alive. The pause between the sentences made me wonder even longer, connecting the dots to what she may want out of this all in all. Her voice, soft and silky as lavender, draped with a light hearted giggle, wrapped itself around my brain: "So what will be our secret?"

This time I did take a step back, ears rotating out to each side as I thought. "I don't mean to be rude sweetie," the words froze in my throat, causing me to draw in a short breath before continuing. "I don't think we're on the same page exactly." Hopefully my mind wasn't heading straight to the gutter, but the more I thought about it, the more it seemed that young Kahlua was attempting to flirt with me. It had been ages since that had happened. The thought almost made my face flush. "I am so much older than you." The words hung in the air with a stale thought.

Trust. The trust I find in others is so fleeting, so superficial. Mostly physical trust, in that I trust you not to harm me without warning. Emotional trust? That's a little harder. See, I'm not much of a secret keeper, but then I'm not much of a best friend keeper either. Friends, sure. Someone I'd call close, a confidant, probably not. Maybe I just don't know how to interact with others in civilized manner. That's what brother Fuhrer always said. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm always trying to charm others into liking me. I suppose it's hard to make friends if you aren't really yourself ever. As for me? I just think I'd rather live a carefree life. Who wants to be tied down by relationships to others. Besides, how I can I be myself if I hardly know who myself is?
Kahlua was surprised to see the painted stallion bound through the snow after her. He moved with some agility despite his large size. If she had thought harder about it, she would have perhaps called him a warrior. After all, what else were large, agile horses good for? As it were, her mind completely passed by any ideas that were not focused entirely in the present. She didn't even consider the fact that he could be anything other than a genuinely kind soul. It was hard for her to imagine such a thing of anybody, really. Not that she hadn't met horses that were cruel or mean or otherwise disinclined to be civilized. It was just that she couldn't imagine living that way and she had a hard time relating. Relating to others required some sort of deeper intellect that she was probably lacking in.

His step back surprised her some and his look changed to something different. She couldn't place it, but in her confusion her smile faded somewhat, giving her a strange look with one corner of her mouth pulled back still smiling and the other dropped down. It was a look of confusion if nothing else. I don't mean to be rude, the words hit her ears and the rest of her smile faded. His demeanor had changed so quickly. Same page. Honestly, Kahlua hardly knew what page she was on so it was no surprise that he didn't know either. “Don't fret, my friend.” Her smile was back. It was hard to hurt her feelings. “If it makes you feel more like a gentleman, I'll slip away and you'll never again hear me utter the name-” She stopped abruptly and a bought of laughter erupted from her lips. She suddenly found the situation hilarious. As her laughter subsided she spoke again. “See my friend, you shall never hear me utter your name again, for I don't even know it! I'll have to totter about calling you grandpa!” It was just a bit of jest in response to his concern that he was so much older than she was. She meant nothing by it.

@[Atka]
.KAHLUA

Unregistered

She froze, her face falling from a bright excitement to complete, utter confusion. This must have hit her just as it had hit me, like a solid wall. Neither of us expected the other's action in turn. I felt my heart sink a little; accusing the young mare to something she may have not even been doing intentionally. I swallowed my shame with a dry throat. Instead of being upset about my accusations, she simply smiled, referring to me as "friend." I allowed myself a breath of relief.

I listened to her soft spoken words intently, bright eyes almost too ashamed to look her in the eye. Rather than that task, they watched the world freeze around us, every where but her face. She then paused, another laugh rolling from her body in a curious way. I finally glanced up to her eyes, my straight mouth twitching into a smile. True, I hadn't even introduced myself. Grandpa? That was uncalled for. But, she is young.

"It's Atka, darling. I apologize profusely." My face dropped in shame. I really did hate making others feel anything other than happy. It was such a painful experience for me. "For lack of words: my mind was in the gutter." I sighed, looking back up - or down really, to the youngster.

OOC| Sorry for the delay just for this odd little post, finals and all.

Is he a little more upset about this than I think he should be? Maybe. But I don't know. I'm not a big face reader. Is he looking away from me and acting weird? This is just getting strange now. Do I care? Not really. Has awkward ever fazed me? Hardly. Still. Maybe my time has come and gone in this moment. Maybe I need to find my way back home and get more connected with my homeland. Wandering was great- I think it's time for a little shelter from the cold.
Kahlua shook her body. The snow was unrelenting. Atka, he said. She liked it. His apology fell on uncaring ears. In her mind, there was little to apologize for. To each their own. She was overbearing, she knew it. Better to lay it on thick and be remembered then give to little and be forgotten. Maybe. She still hadn't gotten the science quite right. “Didn't I tell you not to worry, Atka, my friend?” She chided playfully. The time was always right for a little fun and games. Right? “I think my welcome is worn, no? But keep your eyes open, my friend. Perhaps we will meet again at the doors of the Foothills.” A quick blast of air exited from her nostrils. A silent laugh of sorts. “I'll come much quieter than I proposed earlier; I aim to please you, sir. Or perhaps I won't come at all. We will see.” A bow of her head and a bought of laughter were the mare's final actions before she broke straight into a canter and ran by him. Their meeting had been a bright spot in her day, but all such things must come to an end. The snow splashing up around her hooves, she cantered off towards the horizon. She had no idea where she was going. She hoped it was home.

@[Atka]
.KAHLUA