the Rift

[OPEN] Weight of the World

Israfel Posts: 54
Hidden Account
Filly :: Tribrid :: 16.1 hands :: 2 Years
Sparrow

Israfel Azardokht
"You are the light this world will not have, Isra. Stay steadfast and bold. Be the star of the land, the hope of an age, and one day, I will see you again."

Those words, warm like a summer sun and soft in only the way of a father speaking to his daughter, were what were whispered into her ears as she slept, and what ultimately rose Israfel from a peaceful slumber. The Demi-Goddess twitched, wings furled close to her pale bodice to help ward off the chill, and the feathers of her wings strethced, furling and trembling as wakefulness began to dawn on her. Slowly Isra's wings uncurled from around her folded frame, stretching outwards, and the daughter of the Sun blinked, illuminating vermillion eyes to the world.

"... Father?"

Where Israfel had expected to see the clear morning sun, shining down upon her recuperating body through the canopy of the trees, she saw nothing but a thick, permeating blackness. It was all-consuming, swallowing all in it's path, and immediately the vision from the God of the Spark snapped through the yearling's mind like a beacon of understanding. what was this? What was going on? Slowly her head turned about, ears swiveling forward, searching for any kind of sounds... Nothing. Nothing but darkness roamed through the thick trees and mists of her home, the World's Edge, and panic began to boil beneath Isra's calm exterior. What... What was happening? Why wasn't the sun about? It was morning!

Where was her father?!

His words once more curled through Israfel's terror-stricken mind, the soothing tone of the Sun God's voice like a balm to her panic, and heaving in a deep breath Israfel straightened herself. No... Panicking like a lost child would not help her now, and her father was right; through this darkness, she could be the light. First... She just needed to find the others, and try and figure out just what happened.

Unfurling her legs, the nimble, lithe appendages pushed Israfel's pale body off the ground, her wings beating at the unnaturally chilly air. There was little sight to be seen from around her, and lifting her head to the skies, Israsfel let out a bellowing call. It echoed through the darkness, but she hoped that others may be around to hear it.

Inhaling sharply, Israfel took a step forward, looking this way and that to try and navigate the darkness... And then something snapped in her mind, something that filled her frame with embarassment and caused her to flush in shame. I control fire... What an idiot I can be. Inhaling sharply, Israfel allowed her vermillion eyes to close, and then searched inward for the flames that flowed through her blood. Tapping into her bloodright, a surge of heat spilt forward and out of her, the pale strands of her mane and tail igniting in a glorious ball of flame, her wings spreading and outstretching as the flames danced along the golden markings that adorned her feathered appendages. Around her, the familiar trees of the Edge became illuminated, and the newfound sight did wonders to calm her fears.

Covered in flames to give light to this darkened version of Helovia, the Demi-Goddess made her way through the Edge, wide orange eyes darting around and searching for anyone who may be about. Another desperate cry left her lips, echoing through the silence... And hopefully, someone would answer.

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
Racing hooves and fleet wings faltered only briefly when the darkness was broken by strange firefly lights hanging in the mists that now hung from the trees instead of cloaking the ground. Well that's new. A brief, distracted thought as the phenomenom was filed away for later study, along with the lighted trees that glowed intermittently along paths and walkways. They were unimporant now, in the wake of the knowledge of... there!

A cry, voiced in a familiar tone, veered the Wild Rose's path. Her ears swept forward as she picked up the notes of uncertainty, fear. Her path was guided by the dark, flitting form of her dragon, dodging darkened trees. What did at last make them slow was the sudden blossoming of fire ahead, too great to be the campfires that dotted the herdland. "Israfel!" Relief and a tendril of jealousy warred within her. Relief that her child seemed well, jealousy that her fires functioned while her mother's magic was stripped away. But petty emotions served her naught, and the Wild Rose flung it away as she hurried forward.

Zaffre was there first, dancing just out of reach of the fires on the filly's wings, crooning worriedly. Then Smoke, a few heartbeats later, breaking from the clinging shadows of the strange night. "Did he come to see you?" There was no need to say who he was, not now. Concern was writ clear upon her features as she stepped closer, reaching out a white-speckled muzzle, marked by old fires, to the illuminated pale muzzle of her youngest daughter.

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
He was gone.

I felt empty inside. I felt like my very heartstrings had been pulled taut as he flew towards that vortex, that strange void that seemed to exude energy as well as suck it in. I felt like my very soul had been ripped out through my chest as he was swallowed by the rift, his dark, strangely glowing form following the Gods, and the rest of Helovia's magic, into a land not our own.

I was hollow.

I did not notice the great winds, the deafening sounds, the darkness, at first. They buffeted my flight back, but I corrected my path with simple, single-minded determination to return home, to find some semblance of comfort in the misty throngs of my forest abode. I did not realise until I was almost home, that I had followed the galloping hooves of Smoke back to the borders and beyond, just as I had followed them to the Meadow in the first place. Wonder filled me, wonder at what exactly I had just witnessed. Slowly, I pieced together the fragments, lining up the fractured puzzle pieces to form a simple, childish solution.

The Gods had abandoned us.

The first question to surface in my mind was why? Why would they leave us? As I landed on the edge of our home, I noticed the new lights that illuminated the mists, the absence of the sun, when surely dawn should be upon us, the eerie emptiness that I realised was not only within me, but everyone, everywhere. Folding my scale lined wings to my side, I continued along the path the grulla mare had just dug into the ground by her rushed movement, nose dipped low and small hooves moving into a bouncy trot.

My golden gaze widened as a beacon of light appeared in the mists before me, brighter than the gentle illuminations that had appeared in our Sun's absence. The call that soon followed answered my initial, reflexive questions, as I recognised the voice to belong to Israfel. Though when I finally came upon them, mother and daughter, I did not recognise her. The filly had always been older than my sister and I, but there was something more about her now.

"Did he come to see you?" It was a question not directed at me, though I did tilt my tiara at it, curious to know the response - curious to know who 'he' was, though I am sure with some more careful thought I could have figured it out for myself. I continued to walk towards them, halting at a distance that spoke of intimacy without intruding upon their own. Tremors quivered down my hide, as if I were chasing insects from my pelt in the summer - but no insects landed upon me, nor did the cold bother me. No, these shivers were caused by something much more sinister, much more serious and everlasting.

"They are gone." The voice that erupted from my maw was softly spoken, hushed, as if speaking any louder than absolutely necessary would shatter the small hold on normalcy we grappled with right now. My words made the situation real, happening, undeniably true. Tilting my tiara once more, I curved my small neck away from the mother and daughter, and silently, speculatively observed the strange nuances of energy lighting the World's Edge.
background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Hidden Account
Sparrow

Israfel Azardokht
Fear remained arisen in her breast, but Israfel refused to be deterred and cower, hiding in this newfound darkness like a wimpering child. No... She had to be strong, she had to find out just what was going on, and above all, she needed to find out if her family was safe. While always loving her mother, Smoke, and her sister Kimber, Israfel had never truly realized just how much she had let time pass her by with her family since her return visit to the Veins of the Gods, when she had been greeted by the God of the Spark. Her in-depth conversation with Smoke had re-kindled mother and daughter's relationship, and now, finding her family was perhaps at the forefront of her mind.

Still... As the darkness encroached her vision, her surroundings illuminated by the light from her fires and the strange new trees that dotted the Edge, the sudden sound of approaching hoofbeats and the sound of brush being carelessly cast aside caused the yearling to startle. At first, Israfel's mind was ripped crudely back to the vision that she had seen in the Veins, of the all-consuming darkness and the crustacean that had ripped her limb from limb... Was it coming? Oh, by the Gods! The Sun-Child's flame intensified, the flames licking and swirling around her pale bodice, ears pinned back, wings beating at the air and stretching outwards to appear larger than she really was... But what broke free of the trees only a few moments later caused the youngling to stare in a wide-eyed, orange trance.

"... Zaffre?"

The dragon's familiar frame, however marred by darkness, could never be misinterperated, and upon seeing the blue dragon, Israfel immediately knew that Smoke must be close. Sure enough, mere seconds after Zaffre's appearance, the Wild Rose herself appeared through the thicket of strange, glowing trees. There was a wild look to Smoke's eyes, a fear that Israfel couldn't understand, but the yearling took in a great sense of relief upon seeing her mother's familiar, grullo features.

"Mother!" Gone was the helplessness, the murmured pleas of understanding and acceptance of mother and daughter's previous conversation. Instead, a young mare in the making stood before Smoke, and she eyed her mother with intense vermillion eyes, fiery depths reflecting the flames that licked and warmed the Demi-Goddess' body. "You're alright... I was worried."

Still, it seemed that they would not have a private meeting, as yet another joined them. Isra's head turned towards the sounds of arrival, and she squinted, attempting to make out the younger female by her sparse firelight. It was Amaris, the Sun-Child realized moments later, one of the daughters of their Queen, Mirage. Israfel offered Amaris a gentle smile, to know that she wasn't intruding before her head snapped back to Smoke.

"... I think so," Came Isra's hesitant answer, allowing her flames to die down only slightly so that she could brush her muzzle against Smoke's in an affectionate greeting, "I was asleep, but I heard him, and I felt him, as clear as the day itself. He said to me... He said that I am the light that Helovia will not have, and that I should remain 'steadfast and bold'. He... He also said that he would see me again." Isra's head turned, vermillion depths lingering on Amaris' scaled form, and when the young hybrid spoke, those fiery eyes widened.

"Gone?" Yet... It made sense. Yes, the God of the Sun had to be gone, for why else would there be no sun to shine upon the land? And... That was why Isra could no longer feel him, the constant pressure of her father shining within her. "B-but... Where? Where did my father go? Where did all of the Gods go? They wouldn't simply abandon us..." No, they wouldn't. Israfel refused to believe it. With a shake of her head, flames dancing in the air from the simple action, the Sun-Child waited. Did Amaris know what had happened...? Did the God's sudden disappearance have anything to do with the vision that the Time God had instilled upon her, weeks ago?

Aaron Posts: 260
World's Edge Protector atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 6 Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alanna :: Common Hellhound :: Energy Drain Emily

Aaron</style>
World's Edge Glazier
</style>

Icy blue eyes were the first to open, followed not to long later by those of the bonded draft mix at her side. He was startled at first, confused to the darkness that should be light... Feeling like he was in danger, or maybe the herd was Aaron tried to call upon his fire dragons... But they did not come. This startled the Glazier more as he stood up quickly. The mists had seemed to become brighter, almost creating a soft light themselves. What had happened while they dreamed? It was Alanna's keen eyes who spotted the fire Israfel had made. Gently the knight moved to each of his sleeping younger sisters, waking them. "Come on, wake up. We need to move." He hid the fear in his voice, as the last time day had turned to night... Well the shades had attacked and chased all of Isilme out. No... Surely they had not followed them here?!

Alanna whimpered softly, almost reminding her bonded that he needed to remain calm. After all, he was now the protector of two young girls who knew nothing of this danger. Azale... Well being that she was almost two could almost handle herself... He made sure she woke first. "I don't know what is happening, but something tells me we all need to head for that light.. and now."

Next he moved to Sakura and Takara. The twins had taken to curling up together at night, sometimes Alanna joined them. The fire they had slept near had died during the night, which was strange as it never died.. He nosed Sakura first, waking her and whispering. "Wake Takara, but do not act like anything has changed. For her it has not... For us, we must adapt to the dark."

Together the family moved, Alanna with her keen sight leading the way. Aaron was next, stepping harder than normal to make sure the path was clear. He was followed by the twins, and they by Azale. When they joined the others Aaron was the first to speak. " Israfel, what has happened? Did your father come to you?"

"Sed interdum rutrum urna, sed pellentesque sapien tempor in."

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com

In Nomine Patris Et Filii
Et Spiritus Sancti

Please Tag Aaron in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Aaron at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
It was similar to the sensation Mirage remembered as crossing the borders of her birthlands. A strange shuddering, a vibrating energy falling over the lands, through one's very body, ripping at the seams of your soul as magic was lost to the abyss, as everything you once knew became unknown, undone, lost. Instinctively the mare clutched to her mental connection with Akaith, preserving it, embracing it, diving deeper into the soul of her bonded so much so that she was scarcely left in her own body, which stood, still, alert, peering at the sky above, an empty shell away outside instructions. The dragon crooned to her, comforting whilst also hiding her own fears, as together they watched the world close down around them. They had seen this before; the destruction wrought by the demi-gods of Isilme was similar, and they had fled then, because that land had not meant anything to them, it had not sung with their souls as the realm they wished to die within.

Times were different now, weren't they? Their hearts resided in these lands, their souls sung a harmony with the very soil they stood upon, their life partners and family were here, all of them anchoring them to this point. They would face the darkness now, even if it killed them. They were ready.

But no death came, only darkness, sheer and complete. Born in lands of moonlight, one's night vision was naturally acute, but still it took even them several minutes to adjust, to see the light that was left lingering in the Sun and Moon's absence, to appreciate that while everything was dark, not everything was lost. The mare found herself in her own body again, sensitive to the changes coursing over her very skin just as the little dragon took to the skies above to assess the damage. Even without testing it, the DragonHeart knew that her other form was inaccessible, as well as the magic that would cloak her bodice from view. It mattered naught; both were gifted to her upon her arrival into new lands, both she knew how to live without even if they had been a part of her for most of her grown life. With this sudden return to her own awareness, she moved swiftly, finding comfort in the presence of her mate and silver daughter - finding herself worry as the location of her golden one remained unknown.

Movement in the forest came to her senses via sight and sound, and she looked to the subtle lights in the mists for guidance as she followed the footsteps and voices, eventually spying the pillar of flames that was Israfel - and alongside her, Amaris. Sparing a glance to the others present, the WeyrLeader swiftly embraced her daughter, who murmured quietly to her what had happened, despairing particularly over the loss of her friend, Daryth. The dark mother sympathised with her daughter - she knew what it was like to have a bond so strong be numbed by forces outside of one's control - and Akaith soon alighted to the back of the golden champagne girl, warbling her comforting song to her like a lullaby to the youth.

Pools of warm honey then turned to those around her, the raw pain and emotion evident in them, though the mare was still able to guard mostly everything she felt behind an impassive, stony mask.

"If the end of the world was meant to come, it would have come already." She said with quiet assurance, not truly knowing if she actually felt it. "The demi-gods of Isilme led to its ruin, in Helovia they will be our salvation." Her gaze drifted until it landed upon Israfel's, hating that she was stacking all this responsibility on the shoulders of such a young mind. But the girl was a demi-god, the only one with powers capable of helping them now. "Israfel, you will be the light of dawn until our Fire Lord returns. I ask that you ensure our camp fires are kept well lit, for our dragons can no longer relight what might go out. Then, you must travel, and ensure your light is seen across all of Helovia. I would recommend Zaffre to travel with you, so that you might have a link to your home at all times. We know not how long this will last, but we must prepare for it to be quite extended."

She didn't touch on the possible reasons as to why the Gods might have left, because what Amaris had told her did not make perfect sense. For now, she turned her quiet gaze onto Smoke, seeking forgiveness for essentially ordering her daughter, and her dragon, away from the realm, whilst also silently hoping the mare would shed some wisdom on what exactly had happened.

[ ooc :: Please skip Amaris from any future posting orders. If she has anything of note to mention I'll post her whenever, or mention it in Mirage's posts. ]
background pattern by webstreats @ flickr.com

Kimber Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 4 (Ages in Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Kaiden :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Kachie
Anxiety rolled through the depths of her soul, originating from an outside source but finding a resonance within her. It disturbed her sleep, echoed through an emptiness within her soul, yanked open blue eyes with the sudden start of one coming out of a bad dream. A lavender gaze was there to greet her, but there was no happy yip and sway of myriad tails to hail the coming of a new day. No, instead there was a strange darkness, broken by the most peculiar lighting in the mists that no longer wreathed the forest floor.

Blue eyes and lavender eyes turned to watch the wavering pinpoints of light that glowed more like fireflies than stars, the impression reinforced by the fact that they lay beneath the tree canopy and not glimpsed through it. It was only after a few moments that the young mare realized that her long-time watery coomrades were absent... and that was the reason for the empty feeling in her heart. Startled, she plunged to her feet, only the spark of intention racing through her mind keeping little Kaiden from falling underhoof. The kitsune leapt aside, standing beside a nearby tree and watching solemnly as his bonded sought about for any trace of the watery fox or ferrets that had kept her silent company for more seasons than he'd been alive. It was only when she came to a standstill, feeling lost and confused, that he padded back to sit at her hooves, warm furry body pressing against her fetlocks. It was he that noticed the stirring of the nearby siblings, pale gaze tracking the painted figure of Aaron and the ghostly pale forms of the young twins. He paid little heed to the twin-winged mare, not knowing her and barely associating her with his mare's close friend.

From his awareness did the young mare's attention turn, watching Aaron and his sisters rouse themselves and head off toward... a light? Just one fire? What time was it anyway? By common consent did mare and kitsune trail after the small family of siblings, falling in behind Azale at a bit of a distance. Wondering eyes drifted ahead to find her mother and her sister, the latter of which was aflame with the light of her sire. What was going on? Why had the Earth God's gift left her? Silently they slid up to stand beside Aaron, pausing briefly to greet Sakura and Takara with gentle murmurs and light touches, a polite smile and foxy grin being tossed Azale's way to make all fair, before the young grulla pressed in against her friend's side, her kitsune plopping down beside Alanna and wrapping himself in his numerous tails to preserve heat.

Silently they listened when Mirage came and spoke, setting Israfel a task and assigning it to Zaffre too. Well wasn't that interesting? Little sister finally gets an adventure to take her places, and Mother's dragon gets to go along? There was a moment where Kimber and Kaiden contemplated volunteering, the idea passing back and forth between them in a series of idealized images and emotions. But then Kaiden brought up Aaron and Alanna, the thought coming in an image of the pair standing together, and it was quickly agreed that they had enough to deal with helping him. He'd just gone from idolized older brother to caretaker of three younger sisters of varying capabilities, and neither mare nor kitsune were inclined to leaving him alone with the task.

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE</style>
Time Flies - Time Dies
Truth like a blazing Fire
</style>

Light faded. Startled the stallion looked up from the patch of grass and turned the eyes towards the sky with pounding heart. What was going on? He'd had a strange feeling during most of the morning and the weather had been strange, but no amount of clouds or fickle winds would ever be able to block out the sun itself. It was going darker for each time he blinked, and with growing worry the crafter flicked his eyes out across the wintry ocean, hoping to spot the shape of Fajira before this unnatural night smothered the last of the light. All around him the stallion heard murmuring voices and shocked outcries as others too reacted to the phenomenon, fearful questions thrown into the air as though an answer would come back to them if they just asked it quickly enough.

Was this the end? Had the world broken, had the gods abandoned them? His mind stretched automatically towards the consciousness of the White to make sure she was still there, to guide her as she hurried back across the open waters.
"What's happening?" he asked, but she had no answer to give. Together they saw how black nothingness consumed the day, and as if life had disappeared with it the grass withered before the feet of the white-maned grullo, the wind died... and a weight fell from his shoulders, as though a heavy cape worn for too long had finally been removed.

"Magic no more" a fearful thought passed from Fajira as she suddenly lunged out from the dark and pounced down onto his croup, the small body trembling from exhaustion and fear. Lace stared at her as the mists began to glow, not quite comprehending the full extent of her words, unable to believe it. Without thinking the carpenter turned his thoughts towards a nearby shrub, small but hardy that clung to the edge of the cliff, willing it to grow.

Nothing happened.

"No.. no magic" he confirmed, confusion slowly mixing with a growing sense of elation. No magic! The thought was so wonderful and incredible that it completely washed away any fear towards the darkness that only barely was kept at bay by the glowing lights that was swirling around them, rising steadily to settle among the treetops. Lace barely noticed that he'd begun to walk away from the cliff, dark legs carrying him deeper into the forest as if drawn by something. Thoughts whirled in his mind, from confusion and worry to a wild hope that made the stomach flutter and went to his head in a dizzying delirium. Was it possible that he had been freed from the curse, that he could bleed and heal and die like any other horse again?

A golden gleam of red flame burned faintly up ahead, a flickering glow that made the endless night around it feel all the darker. Picking up the pace to see what was going on Lace broke through a leafless bush with head held high, almost too calm when considering the situation... Creases deepened around the amber eyes as gaze fell upon the flaming figure up ahead, surrounded by a steadily growing mass of herdmates; he recognized Israfel and Smoke immediately, and there was Aaron and Kimber and... his heart skipped a beat as the black, barely visible shape of Mirage along with her daughters caught his eye, and a wave of relief washed through him so suddenly that it surprised him. The voice of the shadow mare as she gave her orders made him realize just how worried he had been, unknown to even himself, and with Fajira chirping towards Akaith and Zaffre from her perch on his back he hurried forward to join the others.

"What is going on?" he asked with hushed but calm voice as eyes darted from Israfel to the others, noticing signs of worry, fear, sadness and every emotion between reflect in their eyes. "Why does Israfel have her powers intact... is it really not gone then?" It worried him more than he felt puzzled over the light and warmth radiating from his young protegé and friend. Lace didn't want his abilities to return so soon; he even wished that they would remain gone, selfishly and desperately. Had he realized how much he hated the feeling of power prickle the blood until it disappeared and he could breathe again? No, he hadn't. And now the feeling wouldn't let him go.

CREDITS: Schwartze | venomxbaby | 116802
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
Some part of her had always been aware of the little golden-scaled filly that had stood as silent as a shadow nearby, but that small part had been overwhelmed by the greater need to find her daughter and confirm her thoughts and suspicions. Not until the soft murmur came, stating the absence of the Gods, did dark eyes swing to fully acknowledge the Dragonheart's daughter. A flicker of a smile, gentle and warm, crossed her features before the Wild Rose reverted her attention to her own child.

It was reassuring for both Smoke and Israfel to find one another safe and well, but the question of the filly's sire still lingered between them. Patient, much calmed, the grulla mare listened to her daughter's words, speaking of a visit in her sleep and prophetic words spoken by the Sun. "I am glad that he came to you, Israfel. Even if he was in too much of a rush to wake you." She stepped closer to soothe her daughter as the impact of Amaris' words struck home to the Sun's daughter, but wasn't given the opportunity to speak of what she'd seen before others appeared.

Like moths they floated in, drawn by the firey light. Solstice's children, led by Aaron, were first. The young painted stallion asked of Isra's sire, but the grulla mare's eyes were searching past him for... there. Her elder daughter, slipping from the shadows at the end of the group, kitsune at her heels. Another concern was satisfied to find Kimber well and in usual company. It was why she reacted somewhat belatedly to Mirage's appearance, ignoring the shadow-mare at first as she sought her young child the same as Smoke had sought her own children. It was a mother thing.

Only when Mirage spoke up, uttering calming words for those struck fearful by this unexpected turn of events, did the Wild Rose turn her gaze to her. Silently she inclined her head in wordless agreement to what was said, then cast a glance to her youngest child as the behest was laid upon her, direction offered. It was with surprise that she glanced back to Mirage as the Dragonheart instructed that Zaffre act as travel companion to Israfel. For a moment she mulled over the idea, before inclining her head again. The notion had merit, and she assented to the separation.

With the addition of other dragons, Zaffre had settled right into the situation. Well, actually he was completely distracted from the situation. Between first Akaith, the greatly admired and respected golden queen who was entirely out of his league, and then dainty little Fajira, the blue was quite pleased and willing to agree with anything. Such was things with a male dragon raised amidst male dragons. Females were something to be overjoyed about, even if the moment kept him from aerial displays.

Vague amusement crossed his bonded's mind, before her gaze shifted to watch the rushed approach of Lace, who was full of questions. She blinked, then chuckled. "Lace, I forgot we never told you. Israfel is the Sun's daughter... and I believe that is the only reason she still has her fire. As for what's going on..."

Smoke looked back to Mirage, then to Aaron and his sisters and Kimber, before settling into relating what she'd seen. "The Time God has apparantly been attempting to fix a rift in reality. I saw him in the Meadow, standing before it and shielding it. If anyone's seen anything unusual of late, that's probably the reason behind it. While I watched, the other three gods came and wove their own shields... but the rift wouldn't close. One by one they left, to see their children, then came back and stepped through the rift. When the last one stepped through, the rift was gone. But so was all the magic and the light of sun and moon and stars. They must be trying to fix whatever was wrong, and we must have faith that they'll find a way back when they fix whatever it is." She knew that at least Aaron and Kimber understood just how bad it could be when such a rift went unmended. As to how much Mirage and Lace knew of such things, she knew naught.

Hidden Account
Sparrow

Israfel Azardokht
Many of the came, drawn to the hopeful light of her flames like moths to the light. They arrived through the muddled darkness, one by one, some that she recognized and others that she didn't. Yet, relations meant nothing in this bleak time. Some things as simple as 'strangers' or 'friends' were completely pointless when they were all brothers and sisters in the binds of uncertainty. Darkness surrounded them, blackening their beautiful home and robbing them of their light, but it would not rob them of each other. As long as hope remained, then so would they.

Israfel regarded each and every one of them as they weaved apprehensive patterns through the darkness before they stopped, illuminated by the flames that licked and curled around her delicate limbs. The youth's pale breast shuddered in quick gasps of air, blazing vermilion flicking back and forth between those assembling. Relief had been hers when she had found Smoke, and had spread as more came; Amaris, and soon after Lady Mirage with Akaith, Aaron with his sisters, Lace and Fajira, and even Kimber. Dear, sweet Kimber, who Israfel only just realized she barely knew.

I should amend that... The young half-blood thought to herself, guilt blossoming from the deepest pits of her conscience, A poor sister I am. Then again, she had been a poor creature, absorbed and wrapped in her own personal agenda and selfish desires. If there was ever a time to change one's ways, the recent events would be the perfect opportunity.

Still, as Mirage's familiar vocals began drifting through the darkened sky, Israfel's head turned to regard their Weyrleader. The yearling's head remained high and straight as she listened, ears flicking forward in rapt attention, and the flames continued to churn and crackle against her hide, giving her herd-mates light. She listened dutifully, with a look of determination and promise shining in her crisp orange eyes. No matter her inexperience or poor relation with the DragonHeart, Israfel could not miss the look of guilt and apprehension as she spoke.

"You will be the light of dawn until our Fire Lord returns. I ask that you ensure our camp fires are well lit," Mirage said to her, placing life itself upon her very shoulders, "Then, you must travel." A sharp intake of breath was all that Israfel could manage, eyes widening minutely as she stared at her dear Queen. Tending to the fires to keep her loved ones warm she would do, but... Leave the Edge? Of course, dear Zaffre would remain at her side, if Smoke allowed, but... Rarely had Israfel ventured from the safety of her shadowed home, except to spread her wings in the glorious feeling of flight. A permanent venture had never been something she had yearned for, but perhaps now... Now, it seemed that choice had been made without her consent. Isra knew that she could either continue her childish ways and deny the heart-felt plea from her Weyrleader, or she could finally step up and be the adult that everyone else knew she could be.

As they said; desperate times called for desperate measures.

Father, give me strength...

"... I will do this, Mirage," Israfel said solemnly, vermilion depths flicking around to the familiar, and non-familiar faces of those who had assembled before coming to rest once more on their leader, their Queen, who was surely feeling this burden in her own way. Perhaps, if the fire-child did this, then it would help lessen Mirage's own concerns. "I will do what I can to help not only our family in the Edge, but all of Helovia as well. After I tend to the fires I will leave with Zaffre, but I'll return periodically to keep make sure that the fires remain lit."

Israfel's elegant head turned to regard her mother as the Wild Rose spoke to Lace, then addressing the rest of them. Surely this was no simple task to agree with, sending both her daughter and her bonded into the dangers of the darkness... And it was then that Israfel truly understood. She understood duty, obligation, and selflessness in ways that had never been exposed, and she hoped that one day, she herself could prove to be as selfless as her mother. Around their tiny bundle of illuminated light, Isra released a breath she had been unaware of holding.

"They will return. I can feel it." It was a promise and a hope wrapped as one, but Israfel would believe no less. To each of them she looked to, hoping that her determination could give them strength in their own ways. "We can't give up hope that they will return to us. If we do, then the darkness will have truly won."

[ooc: So sorry for the delay, guys! We can either keep this thread going, or consider it closed. :3]