the Rift

[OPEN] Shared secrets and daisy chains [Tesande, Open]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
Africa

Note: This thread follows on from This Threshold Thread, which was dated 5-13-13; well before Africa’s capture. It also occurs far before the darkness from the site wide plot- sometime in late Orangemoon I think.

Higher still than the blanket of wispy thin clouds which still clutched tightly onto Frostfall’s first snowfall, Africa soared in a southerly direction. She rode skilfully the swirling currents which tickled the flimsy black flight feathers lining her base of her broad wings, checking back in sweeping glances to see if Tesande was travelling comfortably. Diligently, she allowed vast space between their airborne bodies for fear of wings clipping one another, or slip-streams skewing balance. All around the glorious arc of blue-wash sky embraced her, and the sun which had climbed to its highest peak shed golden warmth atop her passing form.

There was little reason to talk, or shout as it would need to be if either were to be heard above the roar of rushing wind around them; the ambience seemed perfect, natural and serene. Instead she through a frequent grin towards her travel-mate, not ever relinquishing the buoyancy that had been sparked between their well-matched, bubbly personalities. To Africa, who had negotiated the distance between Helovia’s wooded rim, and her desert home, the journey seemed to whisk by. Before she knew it, the burning centre of the whole country was flickering below them, and she had descended through the cloud cover so that they could view what lay sprawled below. She guided Tesande slightly left, around the column of thick black smoke which rose- she presumed, forever and the young grey gestured downward zealously with a bobbing head to point it out in reference to her story.

Basically right after they had passed Helovia’s Heart, the border of the desert became visible- obviously discernible because of the half built ebon wall that clashed with natural the red-orange of the sandy landscape. The tiny figure of a pale-hued horse crawled about busily, much the size of an ant, thought Africa quite entertained as she glided steadily above. When the wall was quite behind, the mottled mare began a gentle descent, dipping her wings and sinking in short graceful bursts towards the growing, shimmery illusion of an oasis ahead. Only when the landmark, and the life-source of Dragon’s Throat was within comfortable walking distance did she lower completely and settle softly into the slippery, warm sand substrate.

Turning to watch the arrival of her brand new herd-sister, Africa could not hide her happiness. “This is the desert!” She explained, hardly realising that her point was plainly obvious. “And the oasis here is where our family live contentedly.” She was swinging her weight backwards and forwards impatiently, as she breezed through Tesande’s initial introduction to what would hopefully be her long term home. “I have a small cavern below these cliffs here!” She continued eagerly, turning to face one of the grand limestone rocks just outside the lush sanctuary ,that could easily have passed for a mountain chain. Africa burst into a lively canter, a spray of crimson sand flying in her careless wake. It was not far at all from their landing point, and within moments Africa was slowing beneath the thick shade cast by the hefty mass of weathered red rock.

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!

Tesande Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
OOC: Finally a dragon's throat member :DDD
-bursts from the threshold- FRRRRRREEEEEEEEDOOOOOOMMMM!!!!

T E S A N D E

Ah, the open blue, cotton ball clouds drifting on the chilling wind, the sun cloaking a pair of majestic Pegasus gliding along peacefully in the slow northern air currents like swans swimming in a dream above the clouds…
(A record player stops in the background)

”EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE—HEHEHEEEEEE!!!!” Yup, here it comes..
I barrel past Africa with blurring speed, mostly letting my weight do all the work for me and allowing gravity to take care of the rest. Whizzing past the dappled mare my wings opened again to catch the wind, tossing me at a steep slope above the clouds, I kicked out as I climbed as if this would somehow aid me, HAHAHA! WOO!” Before clapping my wings together to do an aerial back flip, diving into the clouds below me and disappearing into the mist. ”I’M LIKE BIIIIIRD! I ONLY FLY AWAAAAY!” My lungs preached to the skies with no restraint as I dove in and out of heavens, spiraling with endless energy. Honestly my singing really wasn’t too unbearable as my distance from Africa and the whipping winds muffled out half of the lyrics.
And Africa’s trip went something like this the whole way.

As they descended the pristine plant life was beginning the fade, the vast cluster of red trees disappeared giving way to open dunes and a sea of endless sand. The occasional small tree popped up every now and then, but even the trees here were nothing compared to trees in the north. The gnarled trees of the sands were short, bare, and for the most part seemed to only spout a tiny amount of vegetation at the tops of the branches which freely welcomed the sun with open arms and plenty of elbow room. A climate I’m not entirely unfamiliar with.
As we touched down I let myself crash into the sand, landing in a sit and sliding to a stop. ”In comin’!!” I called out, I left a clear huge butt scoot in the sand behind me where I had landed. Looking up at Africa I gave her a grin and rose to my feet. My fur on my butt now coated in sand and matted in all directions in a completely mess, not that I cared of course.

“This is the desert! And the oasis here is where our family live contentedly.”

I followed Africa as she introduced me to home, we both burst into a canter across the dunes towards a large red rock. We slowed as we approached the rock and I watched Africa crawl under the massive arch, without second thought I followed. I brushed her trying to peek around her like a curious child. We kicked up everywhere which wafted around trapped under the rock. I sneezed and snorted the dust from my nose.

Deceased
Africa

Africa was glad to be home; the tension leaking through the south was a constant reminder that something formidable was looming, growing; waiting to spew from the racist clan of the north. Always the peaceable young mare tried to remain cautiously alert; the warning told by Kri herself, an ever sounding echo in her still-young, vibrant mind. Also too, absurd rumours were circulating about switching personalities and unexplainable occurrences throughout the wilds, where Outcasts and Rogues roamed at liberty. Apparently, she had laughed rashly so often, not everything was what it seemed to be! Figuring she had performed some unwritten duty by rescuing Tesande- in a sense, from the perils of homelessness and ignorance, the young mottled mare was indulged with a blissful sense of achievement; even if she had been quite naturally and easily distracted as she went.

As they slithered brazenly beneath the little outcrop and into the cavern- which really, only just comfortably accommodated Africa’s bulk, let alone that of a second winged horse, a thick plume of dust filled the narrow space around them. Predictably, the grey began to sneeze in short, sharp bursts, and she giggled when she finally attained some control over her irritated, protesting nasal passages; most amused at their joint attempt to split the rock with noise. “See?” She chuckled turning to see Tesande who was cramming forward between the rough wall and Africa’s side. Thoughtfully, she lifted her wings high and lay them across her back. “That’s what I meant by escaping the dust, hehe.” Of course she was referring to her comments before when they were still back in the Threshold’s crisp, tart pine forest.

Ok!” She whispered, lowering her face and stepping towards carelessly heaped sand towards the back corner of the dim room. “It’s just here...” Africa’s twitching lips began meticulously to brush the sand away, and revealed beneath was a smooth surface- olive green to reflect the moist mossy cave within which it was found.

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!

[ooc: hahaha :D hooraaaay!]

Unregistered

T E S A N D E

The dust clouded the crowded opening the rock that we’d crammed ourselves into causing Africa and I to go into a brief sneezing fit. ”See? That’s what I meant by escaping the dust, hehe.”

As we proceeded, I was un phased by the imminent danger looming all around us or the dust that was plugging our noses and causing us to sneeze off and on. My wing barely brushed the surface of the hanging rock over us and bits of the rock crumbled, dusting my back with sand and hissing at me as it slid to the ground. Africa scoot over a little and politely lifted her wings to allow me a better look, I twitched with excitement and a deep privileged feeling that my new good friend was willing to share her treasures with me. It crossed my mind briefly that doing this carelessly with any stranger is liable to get whatever she has stolen if it’s valuable enough. But alas I had no desire to steal someone’s possessions, it wouldn’t benefit me in the least bit and the guilt would eventually eat me alive in the long run. And of course I’d lose my new friend.

”Ok. It’s just here…” I watched Africa drop her crown to the dirt and etch her way to a pile of sand that seemed carelessly tossed together. As Africa caressed the sand pile with her lips I caught the glint of light reflecting off a surface which igniting my curiosity. I let my head drop to inspect it, the walls of the rock danced with a tint of green as the light hit the surface of the object. My eyes brightened and I leaned forward to stroke at the green surface with my lips. I asked with curiosity ”Is it jade?? Or maybe it’s prasiolite! Or is it an agate?? Or is it olivine?? I think it’s olivine, lass!” I burst with excitement caressing the green surface with my muzzle trying hard to figure out what it was, ”I grew up in the mountains, an’ I use to find caves with these pretty rocks n’ stuff! Like the rock we’re under right now, it’s lime stone! It means this land use to be under sea a long, long, long, long, long, long time ago!” I stated with glee and excitement, ”Where’d ya find it, lassy?” I looked to Africa curiously, of course I’d never stoop as low as to take someone else’s stuff, but that doesn’t mean I won’t try to get my hands on a piece of my own.

Deceased
Africa

Maybe I will take it home to show Sohalia or Midas... Africa had revealed her plan to Voodoo, the colt whose nose, she thought, had an uncanny resemblance to the pointed end of a strawberry. Together they had found this treasure far beneath the sun-drenched plateau, and during a wistful pause between the curious questions asked by Tesande and her own reply, the mottled grey mare felt a hollow loneliness stir within. Chemistry, bubbling and hot had been evoked between the two naive young hearts at the time, though mostly misunderstood and confusing. Both knew deep down that such attraction was taboo- she with her pure soul and beloved feathers; and he with the blood-thirsty spear between those pitiless crimson eyes.

Their lives were as conflicting as a snake with his feeble mouse meal.

Well I don’t really know what it is yet.” Africa sighed pensively as she starred down at her shimmery, beautiful prize. “I suppose it is an olivine like you say.” She continued softly, almost plainly, because really she hadn’t the slightest idea what an olivine was. Gullible as always though, she was more than willing to allow Tesande the benefit of the doubt and nodded agreeably, pleased for the most part that the trinket had been named at last. Africa too was excited and turned towards her friend to reply with renewed brightness to her dithering tone. “Voodoo and I found it beneath a cliff north of here.” She explained through a broad smile, that adventure still holding top position upon her mind’s shelf of memories, adventures and explorations. She wanted to tell the few-spot mare that she would take her to meet the colt- she wanted an excuse to find him again; but Africa held her tongue firmly between clamped teeth to resist the urge.

Maybe one day I could take you up there?” She offered slowly, carefully; instead. The sweet dappled mare fidgeted awkwardly, before lowering her nose to snuffle gently about the olivine. It was her link to Voodoo; a memory that she could touch and hold. The invitation was not an empty one mind you, Africa was curious to return to the cliff-side cave and delve deeper through that murky darkness to find what else might be lurking within. Before they did embark on that journey though, she was determined to figure out if her stone held any greater value- she did not think it presented as any ‘ordinary’ piece, and true to her word, she had every intention of taking it to the wisest of her clan to be examined. Perhaps tomorrow she pondered in thoughtful silence, and began restoring the sand mound.

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!

Unregistered

T E S A N D E

Lost in my own delights, my eyes returned to Africa’s only to sea her face melt into a sea of sadness which she tried to conceal from me. I frowned in confusion to Africa’s response but something upsetting had obviously crossed the silver mare’s mind. Of course this entire time she’d seemed like a butter fly as we skipped across fields of flowers farting rainbows and shedding happiness… Nah that’s too strong, I’ll tell myself, we flew through clouds of colorful bubbles. Had the stone triggered some distant memory or was it something out of the blue?

“Well I don’t really know what it is yet. I suppose it is an olivine like you say.”

Her tone upset me, I furrowed my brows trying to pick out the details of her sudden melancholy behavior. I looked back to the rock again. I greatly desired to touch it, pick it up and feel and study it, but at this point it almost seemed to be a curse. I felt a slight clenching of guilt in my gut, I hadn’t meant to bring out the sadness of my cheerful partner. ”Well it’s only a guess, I’d really hafta geet a good look fer me ta be sure.” I spat something out, hoping to see if I could bring something from an almost pointless combination of words.

“Voodoo and I found it beneath a cliff north of here.”

And then just like that, it was if the happiness had all and completely returned, I stood there baffled by the situation. But her pause after that sentence and I started to pick out the issue. This was the first time she’d come to mention some Voodoo fellow, but if there was something I know most about it would be the importance of friendship.

“Maybe one day I could take you up there?”

I watched Africa caress the stone, almost as if hoping it would come to life and talk to her. With that last sentence out and Africa now withdrawing for security I made my move as she knelt down to recover the treasure she’d found. ”Ya know… lass…” I spoke softly and calmly, trying to reassure her with the tone of my voice, ”If there’s anythin’ ye want err… need talk about? Ol’ Tessy here’s good at listenin’” I gave her a smile, even reached out to brush her shoulder with my nose. I made the offer of course but I didn’t push her, no one likes to be pushed into shit they don’t wanna deal with. ”Who be this Voodoo fella?” I then asked curiously, stepping back out of the cave as I was blocking Africa’s path.

Deceased
Africa

The mood had all but been suffocated by Africa’s inadvertent virus-like wistfulness- she hadn’t meant to kill the vibe, and felt silly the moment her sweet friend began to speak. “Ya know… lass…” Tesande’s tender voice grappled with the thrumming strings binding the young dapple grey’s heart, soothing them and caressing them to settle and still. “If there’s anythin’ ye want err… need talk about? Ol’ Tessy here’s good at listenin” Africa grinned and chuckled inelegantly even before her own face had turned to look at the smiling appaloosa. She half expected the wiser mare to flash pearly whites and wink comically, but there was nothing derisive or silly tainting the kindly message. Tesande’s nose bumped her grey shoulder gently, and Africa’s neck curled so that her pursed lips could pass across the mare’s lowered forehead appreciatively.

With the gemstone again concealed roughly beneath the pile of sand, the two mares took their leave. Tesande backed out first, and Africa followed closely, awkwardly- because reversing had never been the otherwise graceful mare’s specialty. “Err....” the hesitant explanation began with the whirring drone of her thinking aloud. Honesty was the key point of her placid, simple personality so not divulging the entire story right away came with some difficulty. “He is just some colt.” Africa said coolly, shrugging like a too-hip teenager caught between the accusatory shadow of her parents. Then a bashful smirk quirked the corners of her mouth- “Well, we played together for a whole afternoon...” She tucked her chin coyly and glanced down shyly towards the gentle slope of the dune at their feet.

While she was an emotional, expressive character by nature, Africa had been trapped in perpetual, childishness; caught between her innocence, and the fierce ambition which nagged at her mind. Boys, before Voodoo, had passed her notice by easily, and to little affect. What she did not mention though, was that the red-eyed colt was enemy to the values which formed the noble foundations of their Throat family. Africa, typically, only presumed that there had been some spark ignited between them; perhaps hoped that she might have caused his heart to flutter, like he had done to hers.

Africa scoffed, bothered by the burning infatuation which nipped at her thoughts; chewed at her heart. “I should think I will never see him again though,” she sighed, turning with recovered cheer to crinkle her nose resignedly at the topic. Her words held two meanings; it was an affair that undoubtedly neither could afford.

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!

Unregistered

T E S A N D E

I watched poor Africa stumble over her words, picking them carefully as if they could offend me. Or otherwise pick out the parts that could get her into trouble like some rebellious youngster talking to a snooping mother, oh my, is that me?
Listening to her talk I bit my bottom lip as a smile peeled across my face and my knees buckled in with all the enthusiasm over her tale. ”He’s just a colt” With that I gasped triggering Africa to unwillingly surrender a sheepish smirk in replace of possible giggling. ”You don’t—say!” Crossing my legs in front of me I sat down and leaned towards Africa like catty girl anxious to get in the up-to-date gossip of the social circle.
My tail flopped back and forth in the sand, now you see a lot of horses use their tails for swattin’ flies and maybe letting the neighbor behind you that you’re being a flat out irritation. Not me! My tail swats them flies, it wags, looks pretty, blocks my butt from the sun, makes a good—oops! I’m getting’ off track again.

“Well, we played together for a whole afternoon... I should think I will never see him again though,”

I watched a sadness wash over my amigo once again and everything became clear to me. I furrowed my brows and sat up, I did of course wonder why she was reluctant to go after this hot young stud she’d met. I shook my head in disbelief, ”Aaawe, lass. Never say never, if ya want it bad enough you’ll find a way.” I smiled to her, of course I could give her all the sappy lectures in the world but the truth is it’s all up to her. ”Have ye thought about goin an’ talking to the boy?” I asked her more than curiously, almost naively as I wasn’t too aware of the current situation unfolding between the herds. ”What harm could that do?”

Bleck, short post is short >.<

Deceased
Africa
Typically, the saturation of sunlight spilling across the desert terrain was like a warm cloak over Africa’s back. Even while other parts of Helovia were descending into the bitter clasp of winter’s tight fingers, the Throat retained its warmth for the most part- the night’s chill factor, when darkness spread like disease across the dunes, could rival the highest snow capped peaks of the north. Tinged red by the terracotta dust of her home, she swung around to face Tesande as she began to speak. “Aaawe, lass. Never say never, if ya want it bad enough you’ll find a way.” Nodding quietly, Africa agreed. Those words were the bare-naked truth of the matter after all.

Her friend smiled warmly, and the young dapple grey returned one larger, allowing it to leak gratitude into her soft, feminine expression. “Have ye thought about goin an’ talking to the boy?” Tesande asked earnestly, and Africa nodded guilty- she had such a gentle approach, a trustworthiness that the young Pegasus found almost entirely irresistible. “What harm could that do?” Neat black-rimmed ears were pricked and listening intently, engrossed by the easy flow of their conversation, and so too were her kindly pale eyes, trained to the other horse.

I suppose you aren’t aware of the rumours; of the tension throughout Helovia because of the Unicorns who live far to the north.” Africa paused thoughtfully as though waiting for confirmation that she should continue, even though Tesande had arrived fresh from her travels barely half a day ago now; naturally she should be oblivious. Lowering her face a little and leaning closer to her company, she continued with a much softer tone. “Our leader, Kri, held a meeting perhaps a month ago. She told us that there are racist folk out there, who should be avoided at all costs. Kri said that we should be travelling in pairs whenever we aren’t at home.” Her eyes widened matter-of-factly as she declared the last bit, Tesande needed to know too after all- no one blessed with wings was safe.

Voodoo is a unicorn.” She concluded after a dramatic sigh. That summarized all of the angst which Africa had ineffectually tied to conceal for the better. She felt inclined to confide her secret in her fellow adventurer though; the grey was a credulous fool by nature. Again she shrugged. There was little else to say really; certainly if she were brazen enough to step out with the insolent intent to break her superior’s confidence, she would have her head chewed off like the young stallion Levi a small while ago. Africa feared Kri, and that healthy respect would prevent any such wayward behaviour. Or so she believed.

The dappled mare turned then, and began to shift through the dry slippery sand in the direction of the leafy-green oasis, in view not far from her little cave. She figured, at last, that Tesande might need to rest awhile or freshen-up before any real touring of the Throat. “I will take you to the lake.” Africa announced cheerfully, her head bouncing to the bright rhythm of her words as she thrust skilfully through the substrate. “Is there anything you would like to know? About our home or our family?” She smiled innocently. She was a simple soul without that grand intelligence of some who shared the oasis, but she possessed a genuine desire to help. “Or anything?

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!