the Rift

[OPEN] the darkest hours

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan
Afterwards, she could never quite remember how she managed the long way back through the darkness. The only thing that was clear from that horrid trek across unfamiliar midnight lands was a sense of dizziness from not being able to separate land from sky, and the fear and horror that ravaged her mind, threatening to drive her insane. Never before had she realized just how much warmth the sun created even in the midst of winter. Never had she for a second stopped to consider what it would be like to be blind, robbed of one of the most vital senses. The mere fact that the relentless, edge-less darkness kept her from lifting into the air caused the black mare to resent it, loathe it, for robbing her of her freedom. This unnatural darkness had only lasted for the greater part of a day but already she hated it with all her might.

If only the sun could rise again.

Slipping through the blackness of the day, a shadow among shadows, Skuggi felt drawn towards the light that radiated from a single point in the desert. It had erupted from the mystical fire just as the gods disappeared into the rift, a great pillar of light that illuminated the sands and drained it of all color, dyeing the world in monochrome black and white. There were none of the colorful trees here to light the way towards hope, only barren rocks and icy winds that bit through even her thick winter coat. The mare shuddered as she walked, constantly searching around her for any sound, the tiniest glimpse of life. She was home, but where were the others? Had anyone else seen the same sight as she had, were they as terrified, no even more frightened than she was? At least she knew what had happened, to the best of her understanding.

Only when the light from the blinding pillar grew strong enough to paint a semblance of horizon did the young pegasus finally stretch out her wings and take to the sky. It was with great hesitance she did it, afraid of what would happen if she lost orientation and began to fly upwards, or even worse, towards the ground. The scenario wouldn't be entirely unlike a whiteout, where clouds surrounded you until all landmarks and all sense of direction disappeared...

At least she didn't have to fly very far. With a muffled thump as her weight afflicted the shifting sands the little crow landed close to the blazing light, hoping and believing that others too would be drawn towards this place. Inked lips quivered as she raised the head and attempted a soft whinny, calling out to any and all around; begging, pleading, that if they heard her they would come and keep her company. Now, as the day had turned into night and no one knew when dawn would come next, not even a shadow felt like being alone.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

In my locks, a prick of claws distracts me from the pillar of light I aim for. Tuning into Ilaria's mental prodding, I was already prepared for the verbal lashing she'd give me, though she was too young for the words I spoke to come from her mouth as well. She is angry, but I know her worry comes from love, and her anger comes from that worry. The moment I'd made my decision to at least try to become Sergeant, she'd been immediately against it. Again and again she'd tried to point out how important crafting and metal working was to me, but I diligently responded that I would gain my own, special kind in time. The idea of me getting harmed set her in a tizzy, and there was nothing I could do to calm her. Not that she let that stop her from digging her paws into my neck as punishment. Wincing, I retaliated by folding my wings to my body and angling my head towards the sands twinkling dully below, an arrow shooting down to earth. Ilaria, far from a wind dweller, gave a nasty sound until I pulled up once more. For all my scrawny form, I had a massive wingspan, one that was whitening slowly with age. With the speed of it, slow as I may consider it, I doubted I'd retain anything but a tiny whisper of caramel before my second year.

This darkness does not bother me, though I feel an uncharacteristic ache for the Apollo of our land. Since his magic had burned clean the poison from my blood, leaving me with a jagged, white scar, I had been forever indebted to him. The ties I felt towards the flaming deity were nearly as strong as those I held for his gentle brother. Even so I use the visibility while I can, and with a swift descent my pale stockings reach forth to greet the earth once more. Jogging easily on my endless pillars I shake the feeling of flying from my skin as if it were morning dew, already yearning to return to its endless depths. And, from outside the range of my vision, a tremulous whinny touched my ears. Clearly not a filly, but definitely feminine. Concern kissed at my features and even Ilaria paused in her reprimanding, crawling to my poll as I trotted around the light source to find the second source- the one of the noise.

Huddled down away from the chill of the season and the disparagingly dark skies, a similarly shaded form stood uncertainly upon the sands. Her eyes glittered like onyx stones, topaz burning in their reflections. I stepped forward quietly, letting out my own comforting nicker to her pleading, broken call. My voice had deepened alongside Hototo's this season, and we spoke like aged warriors and stallions alike despite our yearlinghood. "Are you hurt, sister?" I asked softly, Father's ever-present mannerisms having been raised within me as I had grown at his side. Stepping closer to the doe I offered a small, warm smile, hoping to show her that I wouldn't harm her and only sought to help chase away the chill and loneliness of the night with its now untold passing. "My name is Cera, and this is Ilaria. May I ask your name?" Ilaria chirped softly and waved her tail and paws from my head, deigning not to chew my ear off- perhaps literally- and instead focusing on her new chewtoy. Not that I'd let her nibble on any of the Throat inhabitants of course. Now the Basin? Free game.

Oh yes. Ilaria the Horse-Eating Red Panda.

Oh wait, correction. She apparently only ate unicorns.
Image by Alex
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Shadow
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves

She didn't have to wait long. At the sound of a warm, reassuring nicker the raven twirled around on her heels, half startled and half relieved to see the figure of a young colt com padding towards her, as calm and collected as though this entire matter about disappearing figures and blackening skies was completely natural to him. Was he out on his daily walk or what? Maybe he somehow had failed to notice that it was night in the middle of the day, that it was cold and dark and not a star or cloud was to be seen in all the heavens. Was he blind, the scrawny kid? No, he couldn't be. Not with the way he leered at her, as though she was a frightened filly, lost and lonely without a mother nearby.

Already annoyed by the casual and concerned way she was addressed Skuggi ticked her ears sharply backwards, the pale gleam of white in her eyes contrasting sharply against the nightly backdrop. Raven wings ruffled in mild offense, and with a muffled thud a sharp hoof against cold sand warned the youngster not to try and baby her.

"I'm fine" she snapped as she scrutinized the unfamiliar boy, violet gaze staring suspiciously at the strange creature sitting atop of his head. "Though apparently not as fine as you are... Does this happen so often that you don't flinch anymore?" She huffed and inclined her head towards the sky in a jerky manner - as if the subject she spoke of wasn't obvious already.

Poor Cera. It wasn't his fault that the little shadow was scared beside herself and too proud to admit it. Of course the mare realized this, she knew she was being unfair and rude towards someone who just wanted to help, but the adrenalin ran high in her blood and control over her temper was the last thing she was concerned about right now. Unable to relax even now that she wasn't alone anymore, she began pacing around the edge of the flickering light of the pillar, eagerly scouring the sky and the desert for signs of others, for familiar faces or incoming danger. Anything at all that could manage to ease the feeling of horror that crawled beneath the skin, stifle the panicked screams that choked her throat... What could a single youngling with a strange beast attached to the neck do to soothe her, when she wouldn't even admit her own fear?

"Have you seen any others since the dark fell?" she asked and spun around towards Cera again with sand spraying around small hard hooves, his question already forgotten in favor of her own. "Did you see Cirrus, or Hector? I hope they'll find us, that they'll come here..." There was a shrillness in her voice that betrayed her half-panicked state, despite the stern mask her facial muscles formed. Restless, jumpy, just standing still long enough to hear the reply from the painted pupil was enough to send her muscles into a tremble with wings half-flared and tail set as high as she could accomplish.

image credits
table by whit

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

My presence does not calm, instead it seems to sour her ebony features as if I have done something to insult her. I know I must wear a look of surprise, one that only turns to bemusement as she snaps at me. Clearly she is older, but she seems anxious, frazzled, in this darkness and absence of our Lords. She pins her harks at me, stomps her hoof and raises her wings threateningly. I stop immediately, quirking a brow at her in a somewhat offended manner, wondering why in the world his concern was apparently a problem. Not that she remained quiet on the matter for too long, and he was soon enlightened on what he'd done to offend her. Shifting my legs I settled into a more upright, composed posture before answering her. "This has never happened to me before. In fact, by my knowledge and that of my family, it hasn't happened at all in Helovia's history." Ilaria makes a disgruntled noise atop my crown, but then again she's far more judgmental than I. Shadow's scathing words do not bother me, but Ilaria doesn't seem to be in agreement.

"I have strong faith in the Gods. This is the hour where it is our turn to give that strength back. They did not leave us willingly, and I for one will not falter in my trust in them while they are fighting to get back to us. The fire of the Throat glows bright, within and without. Danger may face all of Helovia, but I know that we will rise strong in the face of any challenge. I don't want to be scared. I've had enough of that." My voice grows more passionate as I speak, until finally I must cut myself off for fear I will go too far or something similar. Shadow seemed far too worried, too tense, and I didn't want to force more stress upon her. Especially from what I'd seen of her temper.

Even so, the shrill fright in her voice made me chance a step or two closer despite her apparent dislike of my attempts to comfort from earlier. "I've seen both of them, don't worry, they're safe. They were both heading to find Kri and my father, from what I saw." This time I kept my lyrics soft, letting her take it as she wanted in her frazzled state. She was pacing, disturbing the sand, so I just remained still and let her work off her energy, hoping she wouldn't take it out on me. "I've seen a majority of the Throat, but I don't know who is unaccounted for. I'm sorry I can't be of more use."
Image by Alex
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!